Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

@closetserialaddict Glad to hear that you've watched Masquerade finally, a double-BH treat.. right! It kinda ends happily and his character(s) did not die. A first-timer in historical movies, he took the risk playing Gwanghae and his doppelganger.. that we don't seen Korean movies before and he pulled them off, perfectly.

I've also watched Gabi before, mainly for KSY.. though not remembering it very much except that there was King Gojong (also in Mr.Sunshine) who loved his cup of coffee.. similar to the drama, when he went to Glory Hotel to meet Eugene. When you mentioned Gabi, I can't help remembering EC.. how can we not, huh! Not really a fan of JJM but I've also seen Lady with a Suitcase (for CJW) and I thought he was not bad but the drama wasn't really about him and he didn't stand out.. well, nothing & no one did. It's just the way the script goes. But I guess the competition in the movie industry is also very strong with many up & coming younger actors, some crossing over from the Kdramas. But you'll never know, JJM might make a comeback.. sometimes it just takes longer for a good script to come by.

So, Mount Baekdu is finally here.. it's rather weird to use Ashfall as the new title, LOL.. maybe we'll get used to it later. True to what LBH said, it's this movie that's going to be released first despite being filmed after The Man Standing Next. We finally get to see his character.. quite the opposite of clean-cut Eugene but it's ok, it's his character to play & convince and he will give a strong performance as always. Those scruffy hair and beard will not matter. Nope.. nope. no2.gif

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, rubie said:

@closetserialaddict Glad to hear that you've watched Masquerade finally, a double-BH treat.. right! It kinda ends happily and his character(s) did not die. A first-timer in historical movies, he took the risk playing Gwanghae and his doppelganger.. that we don't seen Korean movies before and he pulled them off, perfectly.

I've also watched Gabi before, mainly for KSY.. though not remembering it very much except that there was King Gojong (also in Mr.Sunshine) who loved his cup of coffee.. similar to the drama, when he went to Glory Hotel to meet Eugene. When you mentioned Gabi, I can't help remembering EC.. how can we not, huh! Not really a fan of JJM but I've also seen Lady with a Suitcase (for CJW) and I thought he was not bad but the drama wasn't really about him and he didn't stand out.. well, nothing & no one did. It's just the way the script goes. But I guess the competition in the movie industry is also very strong with many up & coming younger actors, some crossing over from the Kdramas. But you'll never know, JJM might make a comeback.. sometimes it just takes longer for a good script to come by.

So, Mount Baekdu is finally here.. it's rather weird to use Ashfall as the new title, LOL.. maybe we'll get used to it later. True to what LBH said, it's this movie that's going to be released first despite being filmed after The Man Standing Next. We finally get to see his character.. quite the opposite of clean-cut Eugene but it's ok, it's his character to play & convince and he will give a strong performance as always. Those scruffy hair and beard will not matter. Nope.. nope. no2.gif

oh yes! You are right! haha.. i have been so bogged down with work and watching Masquerade on  the "small screen" with all the "interruptions"..(the effect is not as great as watching on TV).. that i didn't notice hey, he didn't die! LBH's good guy didn't die! 

BUT BUT the chief secretary did.. and what was his crime? For being righteous and loyal? Haaai.. so sad

And you know.. i realised why it didn't have as great an impact on me.. tho it's a good show! It's cos the ending was good he didn't die.. haha.. so i am not feeling angsty and like I have something to get off my chest! 

You people are the true LBH fans.. i am not really keeping track of what he's doing. just reading things off here. Haha. 

hehe. .you are right about King Gojong.. it was interesting to "see" him again.. :)

LBH has lasting star power i feel.. I am not really in touch with Jang Dong Gun's movies but i didn't think Rampant was very impressive. I also felt his role wasn't very memorable. Can't help comparing LBH with some of the stars of his vintage who were also known for their charm and looks in their youth.. .I mean t here are others close to his age, of course who are very good actors.. like Song Kang Ho.. but he's never been known for his looks.. hehe.

Speaking about LBH's looks in Mt Baekdu.. haha.. i do have a slight objection against the way they dress and style the North korean characters! They give them bad hair and terribly cut suits.. Iris is an example. KSY's hair was terrible.. and her boss' suits were bad.  She looked so much better in Gabi.

I am always talking about the looks.. so superficial.. :P

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Eh! @closetserialaddict did the Chief Secretary die in Masquerade? :o Wasn't him at the pier.. bowing goodbye at Ha Sun on the boat? He might be out of job, perhaps but didn't die.. I think.. now I'm not sure myself. But yeah.. the King and his double survived but the young palace maid got poisoned before she was able to meet her family again and the bodyguard  died protecting the fake king. Quite the tearjerker moment. :tears:

@BlancheNeige brought up the 'romance' with the Queen.. while it's believable that Ha Sun would be besotted with the sad but beautiful Queen, it's unlikely or rather illogical to see her returning his feelings, no matter what. It seems that they had to create something more for the Queen, to justify her presence, perhaps? Plus.. there's also the alternate ending showing the Queen in normal clothes going to Ha Sun, watching him and smiling together. Perhaps, in his imagination.

Not sure if both of you have seen this? 

• Like 3

@rubie the version one I watched mentioned at the end that the chief secretary was charged with treason that August and executed. Five years later, the king was deposed in a coup 

btw I don’t remember this. The scene where gojong has coffee at the hotel.. is  that the first time he has coffee? Or it isn't?

And what's the timeline then? Roughly which year was that.. hehe.. sorry to sound so particular about this (anal!)

cos in an earlier episode, it is  mentioned that Queen Min had already passed away for some time  right? 

According to history, King gojong spent a year in Russia after Queen Min died and the first Sino-jap war ended.

So I’m presuming that in Mr Sunshine,  he has already spent that year in Russia and therefore would have tasted coffee before?

but I could have remembered things wrongly..

argh., now I’m wondering if there’s an inconsistency.. but i don't know. I don't know Korean history well, much less Chosun history. 

Re the scene in the clip from Masquerade, nope, it wasn't in the version i watched!  I think you probably saw the director's cut.. ARGH.. now it's going to bother me.. because now the show has a korean ending.. it's ambiguous..  :P 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, closetserialaddict said:

@rubie the version one I watched mentioned at the end that the chief secretary was charged with treason that August and executed. Five years later, the king was deposed in a coup 

btw I don’t remember this. The scene where gojong has coffee at the hotel.. is  that the first time he has coffee? Or it isn't? And what's the timeline then? Roughly which year was that.. hehe.. sorry to sound so particular about this (anal!)

cos in an earlier episode, it is  mentioned that Queen Min had already passed away for some time  right? According to history, King gojong spent a year in Russia after Queen Min died and the first Sino-jap war ended.

So I’m presuming that in Mr Sunshine,  he has already spent that year in Russia and therefore would have tasted coffee before?

Ahh, my bad.. we've got crossed-wires..I thought you were talking about Gabi .. and I was replying/thinking about Masquerade. :sweatingbullets: My bad again.. I am really getting old.. you are right. I obviously did not read the ending text of Masquerade, too bad that the Chief Secretary got executed.. the Joseon ministers were never safe to live happily ever after.. in the end, the never-ending revenge and payback overwhelms any common sense. The King though he stayed on for another 5 years might have been ill-advised and even discarded those that were close to him.

You watched the movie till the end, you're right.. I tend to remember the good (happier) parts instead ;).. just like Mr.Sunshine, the drama ended at episode 22 for me. -_-

The scene King Gojong having coffee at the hotel, from Mr.Sunshine.. to be honest, I don't remember much about Gabi. In the drama, the king is already familiar with drinking coffee, having it often in his chamber but when he wanted to meet Eugene (to persuade him to work for Joseon) he used 'wanting to drink coffee at Glory Hotel' as his excuse. The timeline, I suppose would be when the Americans were still in the country. 

Not sure of the Queen.. but Lady Ae Shin at one time went to the palace to meet the Queen or perhaps the Noble Consort.

• Like 3

No no no.. i am confusing you.. hehe..

I guess the timeline  in Mr Sunshine is right then if the king is already familiar with the taste of coffee when he goes to Hotel Gloria. Cos he was only made emperor after he returned from Russia. :) Where he acquired a taste for it.

By then Queen Min had been dead for a while.. 

Oh gosh! I don't remember the part when Lady Ae Shin went to the palace.. at ALL.. And i only watched this like a few months ago. 

I think this is what happens when you binge-watch and multi-task at the same time.. hehe. 

I can't believe how forgetful i am. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

November 11, 2019

Lee Byung Hun, Ha Jung Woo, Suzy, And More Try To Avert Disaster In Posters For New Film

Source: Soompi by J. Lim

543a998de25b418a9fb8ee1ccfc075e8.jpeg?s=

The upcoming film “Baekdusan” (literal title) has released new character posters showing the main cast as they undergo a transformation for the film.

“Baekdusan” will tell the story of people who must do their best to stop the final eruption of Mount Baekdu, which has enough force to swallow up both North and South Korea.

20191111_1-1.jpg

20191111_2.jpg

The new character posters show the five main cast members who will lead the story. From Ri Jun Pyeong (Lee Byung Hun), a North Korean armed forces personnel who holds key information that can help stop the eruption. This will be the first time the actor takes on a North Korean role. Jo In Chang (Ha Jung Woo) is staring at the fire and smoke surrounding Mount Baekdu in the poster, and is a captain who has been brought in on the secret project. Their tagline reads, “We have to stop the last eruption.”

Along with them is Kang Bong Rae (Ma Dong Seok), a geology professor who has been researching eruptions in Mount Baekdu, as well as Jeon Yoo Kyung (Jeon Hye Jin), who comes up with the plans to stop the eruption. Their posters raise anticipation as the tagline reads, “An impossible plan, it has to work.” Choi Soo Young (Suzy) is trying to survive in a city thrown into chaos, with her tagline reading, “I have to survive.”

The new film is set to premiere in December.

Source (1)

• Like 4

November 12, 2019

The Screen Midas: Lee Byung-Hun, a great master of screen who crosses different ages and classes   ( A translation ) 

20191029_1.jpg

One sunny spring day, staring at the branches swinging in the wind,  the disciple asked: “Master, is the branch moving, or is the wind moving?” The Master did not even look at where his disciple pointed and smiled, telling his disciple.  “It is not the branches, it is not the wind, it is your heart.” “A Bittersweet Life” (2005)  directed by Kim Jee Woon began with this narration, accompanied by the wind swaying the sound of the willow branch. “A Bittersweet life” used the opening scene to describe the entire movie.  It is hard to explain clearly,  but it is a wonderful movie that turns men’s hidden appearances into a world of art.  This style setter is Lee Byung Hun.  He wears a black suit with no wrinkles, rides a sleek black sedan without a trace of fingerprints, and always drinks a strong espresso. To create this atmosphere, director Kim Jee Won  chose actor Lee Byung-hun.

Lee Byung Hun is not only a great actor, even his voice is exceptional. For actors, a good voice can determine more than half of the acting skills. If Lee  is a good actor, the first reason is his voice.  It is not just good sounding. Lee knows how to use his voice  to express the depth of emotions.

In another film directed by Kim Jee Woon, “The Age of Shadows” (2016),  Lee Byung Hun, who appeared as the Leader of the Resistance movement, met with Lee Jung Chul (Song Kang Ho) and drank through the night.  At dawn, he asked Lee Jung Chul, “Ultimately, isn’t being shaken up psychologically the most fearful? This difficult question was beyond Lee Jung Chul and directly moved the audience.  When Lee mentions the abstract term "heart",  it sounds difficult to explain yet definite at the same time.  Through Lee’s voice, the colours of Jung Chae

shine through vibrantly.   

To be sure, Lee Byung  Hun is not a tall actor.   Nevertheless , he still looks big.  Filling the big screen, Lee became the big actor that cannot be missed when recording the chronicles of the Korean film history.

Recognized as a vocal acting talent

If  Lee Byung Hun’s first advantage  is his voice, then the voice will become stronger through  his eyes. Lee, who started acting as an actor recruited by KBS, actually had  successes in a series of television dramas.  Lee who starred in the youth drama “Tomorrow Love,” will become a star through TV dramas such as “Asphalt Man” and “All In”.  Along with Jeon Do Yeon, “The Harmonium in My Memory ” (Director Lee Young Jae, 1999) can be said to be the work that helped Lee’s soft landing in the movie industry.    Lee, a fresh country teacher who accepted the unrequited love of a 17 year old Korean student, showed off great acting.

For actor Lee Byung Hun , 2000 was a very meaningful year. In Park Chan Wook's “Joint Security Area JSA,” Lee played an ironic role, Lee Soo Hyeuk, who had to stand unwittingly in the middle of history and aimed the gun at his friend. In an ensemble with actors such as Song Kang Ho, Shin Ha Kyun, Kim Tae Woo, and Lee Young-Ae, he was imprinted as one of the last scene to be remembered as a scene of Korean film history.

On the other hand, Lee Byung-hun, in the movie “Bungee Jumping of Their Own”  (Kim Dae Seung, 2001) with Lee Eun Ju , is acclaimed as an actor who is able to shed his youthful image and became an accomplished actor.   “Bungee Jumping of Their Own”,   at first glance, looks like a traditional first love story,  but it is much more new and revolutionary. Two lovers stepping with awkwardly caught hands in line with Strauss’ waltz. The story begins like that, but the end is about a completely different world.

20191029_2.jpg

Bungee Jumping on Their Own 

Depicting a man tortured by lost love through the passage of time, a fantasy comes to life as he discovers traces of his love in a young student.  Unlike the movie 'Meet Joe Black” in which the face of the actress is superimposed, Lee Eun Ju, the role of a young student possessing the soul of a deceased lover, is considered an object of obsession.

20191029_3.jpg

A Bittersweet Life

It was Lee Byung Hun's eyes that persuaded this incredible “story” with a sympathetic romance. In Kim Jee Woon’s  “A Bittersweet Life”,  when he asked the boss, "Why did you do that?” and in “I Saw the devil” (Kim Jee Woon 2010), rushing to fight a murderer who is like a devil, his eyes  became a basis and a probability. Lee is an actor  who acts and transforms his character through his eyes.

An actor who knows how to create

The early 2000’s were  the heydays of Lee Byung Hun. But he unexpectedly ventured into Hollywood. But unlike other actors,  he was not American or a bilingual speaker. Nor did he already possess the tight muscular body required of Hollywood action movie stars.

20191029_4.jpg

The Age of Shadows

In order to achieve the skills that he could accept, Lee Byung Hun polished his language skills to the level of a native speaker, built up his muscles and practised his action movements.  Literally, he was not just acting well the role he was given but working hard to create some kind of “reality” that Korean actors have not yet been allowed.

Lee Byung Hun's works in Hollywood include “G.I. Joe, Retaliation”,  “Red 2”, “Terminator Genisys”, “Misconduct” and “Magnificent Seven”. What is important is that he appeared as a starring actor, and not in a small supporting role.  In the Korean film world, this news was unprecedented. Several actors tried to enter Hollywood, but there were few cases of success like Lee Byung-hun. He did not succeed in Hollywood films as a Korean actor, but as an actor whose nationality was Korean, and he became the star of Hollywood movies. It is not casting bearing in mind race allocation or diversity, but rather a reinterpretation of the cast through him.

20191029_5.jpg

Magnificent Seven

The same is true for “Magnificent Seven”, which is a remake of  the legendary Western movie, “Magnificent Seven”.  He  appeared with Denzel Washington and Chris Pratt as one of the seven protagonists of the film. For Lee, the title of  “Korean”  is no longer that important. This is because Lee’s personality is clearly remembered in the global movie market. Lee Byung-hun, he is obviously an actor who created a reality that no Korean actor has ever made.

An Actor who is not afraid of change

Lee Byung Hun’s film career was solid but it is hard to say that the same applies to his personal life.    There were scandals and he was the subject of an ugly lawsuit.  Surprisingly, it was Lee himself and his acting that subsided the controversy. Lee, as an actor, silenced his controversy through acting. Although there may be a disagreement over whether Lee is a good or bad person, the evaluation of  actor Lee is unanimously good. Lee is a very unique example in Korean film history, where the personal life of the actor is fully reflected in acting.

20191029_6.jpg

"Inside Men"

Recently, Lee's films have become more diverse. Romance, comedy, and action show almost no overlap in genre variety. Not only the genre, but also the character is different every time. Like Ahn Sang-gu, the fallen gangster of director Woo Min Ho's “Inside Man” (2015), Chairman Jin, a global multi-level con artist of  “Master” (Cho Ui Seok, 2016), and a third rate  boxer Kim Jo-ha in “Keys to the Heart”   (Choi Sung Hyun, 2018),  Lee Byung Hun looks similar but is acting completely different characters.

20191029_7.jpg

Masquerade

Lee Byung Hun can portray characters such as gangsters,  hooligans, and cyber criminals from the bottom of society yet interpreted very well the complex defeat of Choi Ming  Ji in “The Fortress” (Hwang Dong Hyuk 2017) .  In the movie, “Masquerade”  ( Choo Chang Min 2012) he played equally well,  the angry Gwanghae and the low born who impersonated the king.  He was able to  perform  at the same time, a variety of feelings, different classes and different eras of acting.  Moreover, through multiple characters, each and everyone of Lee’s works successfully penetrates all humanity.

20191029_8.jpg

The Fortress

This may be why Lee's acting is more prominent when he acts with other actors.    In “The Fortress” . Choi Myung Kil stood in stark contrast  to  Kim Yoon Seok's Kim Sang Hun, whose gentle, straight and humiliating endurance is conveyed more deeply.    Just like Ahn Sang Goo of “Inside Man” when he acted  with Cho Sheung Woo who played the prosecutor, his delivery came across more three dimensional.  Perhaps  Lee Byung Hun's true heyday is yet to come.

The above article is written by Kang Yoo Jeong, Film Critic and Professor  of Korean-English Cultural Contents, Kangnam University.

Source:  

Source:  https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/005/0001253878

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

November 12, 2019

@rubie

Thanks to SindyKao for the highlight on twitter, ASHFALL will be released in Hong Kong on the first day of 2020. Here's the trailer with Chinese and English subs.

So happy that ASHFALL will be released in Hong Kong in January 2020.  What a treat for Hong Kong fans!     It is wonderful to see the movie with sub titles.  

• Like 3

@peonie, Barbara.. welcome back and you brought such a great gift -- this LBH article translation that you've prepared transcends every precious gem. Written by an academician, it's indeed a well-meaning critical thoughts and observation on Lee Byung Hun's acting journey, his talent and ability. The Screen Midas title fits the article perfectly.. thank you so much for indulging us again and again.:wub:

So glad that Ashfall is opening in Hong Kong, it's definitely a great treat and comfort for all the longtime LBH fans there. Looks like you & @luwali 196 and others will watch the movie before all of us here.. have to say we're already anticipating a review. :lol:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, peonie said:

November 13, 2019

It must be convenient for Byung Hun-ssi and his family to visit Universal Studio as he bought a house in this neighbourhood!

Joon Hoo is very lucky indeed!

This was posted by MJ few days ago. Imagine going there for a fun time and coming back to the comfort of their own home instead of the hotel or having to travel long distances again.

• Like 3

November 13, 2019

“Ashfall” Lee Byung Hun acting as a North Korean operative for the first time since his debut.  Speaking Russian and Chinese was not a problem for him. (A translation) 

20191113mb.jpg

The final movie of the year “Ashfall” assembled a super strong cast:  the main actors include Lee Byung Hun, Ha Jung Woo, Ma Dong Seok, Suzy and Jeon Hye Jin.  One of them, Lee Byung Hun acted as a North Korean operative for the first time since his debut.  Aside from being a good action actor, he needed to have multiple language skills.

20191112_1.jpg

In the movie “Ashfall”, he is Lee Jun Pyeong, a North Korean armed forces personnel who holds decisive information in order to prevent the last eruption of Baekdusan.   When his spy identity was exposed, he participated in the secret operations of South Korea.  In order to play this special role, Lee Byung Hun must start by speaking with a North Korean accent and then learn to speak Russian and Chinese. In addition, as a first class officer, he must have great martial arts skills.    Lee said:  “Lee Jun Pyeong is a character with multiple personalities and appearances, I hope you will have a sense of curiosity about this character. “

20191112_2.jpg

The director also said: “Lee Byung Hun’s acting has always been very broad.  The role of Lee Jun Peong is very attractive.  I was amazed when I saw him on the set.”  He highly praised Lee’s performance. “Ashfall”  describes Baekdusan which will cause great damage to both North and South Korea and several important persons must stop its last major outbreak.    Lee Byung Hun, Ha Jung Woo, Ma Dong Seok, Suzy and Jeon Hye Jin will perform together.   The movie will premiere at the end of December.

20191107.jpg

Source:  https://www.koreastardaily.com/sc/news/121805

• Like 3

16 hours ago, peonie said:

Lee Byung Hun acted as a North Korean operative for the first time since his debut.  Aside from being a good action actor, he needed to have multiple language skills.

In the movie “Ashfall”, he is Lee Jun Pyeong, a North Korean armed forces personnel who holds decisive information in order to prevent the last eruption of Baekdusan.   When his spy identity was exposed, he participated in the secret operations of South Korea.  In order to play this special role, Lee Byung Hun must start by speaking with a North Korean accent and then learn to speak Russian and Chinese. In addition, as a first class officer, he must have great martial arts skills.  Lee said: “Lee Jun Pyeong is a character with multiple personalities and appearances, I hope you will have a sense of curiosity about this character. “

The director also said: “Lee Byung Hun’s acting has always been very broad. The role of Lee Jun Peong is very attractive. I was amazed when I saw him on the set.” He highly praised Lee’s performance.

An awesome article highlight and excellent translation, Barbara. Finally, Ashfall is confirmed for release with a steady flow of promo info coming out every day.. just the way we like it. :lol: After the super-long wait, it'll be interesting to watch Byunghun in his first disaster movie and hoping the production's huge budget will bring a worthy cinematic treat on the big screen. Acting-wise, we know he won't disappoint. Add in the high-intense teaser clip and cool character posters, movie is sure brimming with anticipation.

Charismatic Ri Jun Pyeong

ashfall_bh.gif

• Like 3

Another wonderfully-written article on Lee Byung Hun's upcoming projects.

November 12, 2019

Lee Byung-hun Does Double Duty With Disaster Films

Joan MacDonald FORBES // CJ Entertainment

Lee Byung-hun’s fans will have several chances to see him onscreen in the coming year, as he stars in three films, each of which features a storyline sure to get the adrenaline pumping. He appears in the disaster film Mt. Baekdu, which aims for a late 2019 or early 2020 release, as well as the political thriller, Chiefs of Namsan, aka The Man Standing Next, which aims for a release on Dec. 31. His next film, Emergency Declaration, another disaster film, plans to start production in early 2020.

Chiefs of Namsan is set in Korea in the 1970s. Lee plays a former Korean Central Intelligence Agency chief who becomes involved in assassinating the president. Actor Lee Sung-min plays President Park and Kwak Do-won plays another ex-KCIA officer. Woo Min-ho, who directed Lee in the film Inside Men, also directs Chiefs of Namsan, making this Lee’s most anticipated role of the year. Under Woo’s direction Lee’s role in Inside Men won him the Best Actor prize at the 52nd Baeksang Art Awards, 37th Blue Dragon Awards and 53rd Grand Bell Awards.

rjp1.jpg

Lee also plays an intelligence officer in the disaster film Mt. Baekdu, only in that film he’s a North Korean agent. The film imagines a fictional eruption of Mt. Baekdu, an active volcano on the Chinese - North Korean border. Mt. Baekdu last erupted in 1903 and since it emits lava about every 100 years, its expected to flare up again soon. Although recent real-life eruptions have been minor, the fictional eruption is set to happen on a cataclysmic scale. The characters played by Lee and his co-stars—Ha Jung-woo, Jeon Hye-jin, Ma Dong-seok and Bae Suzy—must do what they can to prevent disaster. 

Ha plays a member of a South Korean explosive detonation team, while Ma plays a geology professor who predicts the eruption. Despite their different approaches and political affiliations, the characters work together to forestall catastrophe. Mt. Baekdu is directed by Lee Hae-joon, who also directed Castaway on the Moon.

rjp2.jpg

Lee is already preparing for his next disaster film, Emergency Declaration. His co-star in that film is actor Song Kang Ho, who stars in Bong Joon-ho’s Parasite. Song and Lee worked together on three previous films, Park Chan-wook’s Joint Security Area and in two of Kim Jee-woon’s films: The Good, the Bad, the Weird and The Age of Shadows. 

Emergency Declaration will give Lee a chance to cope with catastrophe in a new environment, since the action in the C-Jes film takes place on a plane. An unforeseen event forces the pilots to make an emergency declaration and be forced to land their plane. Emergency Declaration is directed by Han Jae-rim, who directed The Face Reader and The King. 

Lee has dozens of Korean films and dramas to his credit and he’s appeared in a few Hollywood productions. His film work also includes A Bittersweet Life; and Masquerade; plus both the film and TV drama versions of the spy story Iris. His TV work also includes the drama All In and most recently Mr. Sunshine. Lee’s recent Hollywood roles include Storm Shadow in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and its sequel G.I. Joe: Retaliation, as well as roles in Red 2, Terminator Genisys, and The Magnificent Seven 

Joan MacDonald

Spoiler

I am a journalist fascinated by Korean drama and film. Since 2013, my stories on Korean media and culture have been published in the Los Angeles Review of Books, Kultscene, Macg Productions, The Independent, Bust, Hello Giggles and Mental Floss. For three years I worked as a writer and editor at KPopStarz, a popular K-pop and kdrama news site and appeared on three KCON panels discussing drama trends. Some of my drama blogs appear on the That Only Happens In Kdramas FB page. 

• Like 3