Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

1 hour ago, peonie said:

January 14, 2019

@rubie.   Byung Hun-ssi posted so many photos from his past movies on his IG.  What a treat!   In your recollection, have you seen these before?   

LOL! Barbara, you're right! It must be his 2019 new year's resolution :lol:.. to share all those pics from years & years of filming. At the time (circa 2008 and before), there were no IG yet and not many captures were shared directly on the spot, unlike today.

I'm sure BH posted his own exclusive pics.. when the photos posted on twitter (fans there are so fast!), instantly you'd knew that there're new pics on IG, which can only be his. :P While some may appear familiar (like those we've seen around).. they're actually not because the angle would be slightly different and the pics would be clear close-ups.. like taken separately to keep.

As always, bad boy Park Chang Yi looks like a rock star. Byunghun's IG followers steadily approaching the 120,000 mark.. so, th_rockon.gif.. BH!

Photos: skflyoun

• Like 5

DDOBOJA reviews: Mr. Sunshine mrs.jpg

Article & more GIFS at original page here ~

When initial reports came out about 'Mr. Sunshine', I'm going to be honest - I wasn't that excited for it. Some of the reasons for my lack of interest was due to: my love-hate relationship with writer Kim Eun Sook's dramas and Lee Byung Hun's playing the main role in this drama. 

mrsun-hands.gif

I think the reason I have a love-hate relationship with Kim Eun Sook's dramas is because I find some of her dramas childish or mediocre. 'The Heirs' reminded me of a bad rendition of 'Gossip Girl' where you just watched a bunch of immature characters fighting for the affection of a female character. I couldn't get into 'Descendants of the Sun' because the drama just felt like it was filled with fan service for romance drama lovers. The only drama written by Kim Eun Sook that I enjoyed from start to end was 'Goblin'. The reason I enjoyed that drama so much was because of the acting performance by Kim Go Eun and Gong Yoo, the cinematography (wow... those sageuk scenes tho), and the soundtrack - to this day I still listen to Ailee's 'I Will Go to You like the First Snow'. So after it was announced that Kim Eun Sook's next drama was 'Mr. Sunshine', I was a little bit interested because 'Goblin' really left me impressed but then it was announced that Lee Byung Hun was the male lead. 

Many people often say, "love the art not the artist." These words are usually used when the artist is problematic. I think it also perfectly describes Lee Byung Hun's career. Let's be real, Lee Byung Hun's acting is critically acclaimed. He never fails to impress viewers whether he's playing an agent who's fighting a cannibalistic murderer in 'I Saw the Devil' or a thug who loses his hand in 'Inside Men'. But it often seems like his personal life overshadows his performance. And I believe with 'Mr. Sunshine' Lee Byung Hun once again proved to viewers that he is actor Lee Byung Hun with amazing performance abilities and not actor Lee Byung Hun with a messy personal life. 

Spoiler

What I was looking most forward to was Kim Tae Ri. I became a fan of Kim Tae Ri the moment I saw her in Park Chan Wook's 'The Handmaiden'. Can you believe 'Mr. Sunshine' was Kim Tae Ri's first drama? Kim Tae Ri has filmed four movies in the past three years and they're all critically acclaimed. The reason I love Kim Tae Ri's performance in all her projects is because of her diction. Especially in 'Mr. Sunshine', she plays the role of Lady Ae Shin - she's supposed to be a soft-spoken lady that belongs to a high status noble family but every time Kim Tae Ri delivers her lines that are meant to attack her enemy, you can sense the anger but her tone is still clear and stable. 

Spoiler

I know many people weren't happy that three of the main male leads (Lee Byung Hun, Byun Yo Han, Yoo Yeon Seok) were going after the female lead (Kim Tae Ri). But I think this drama handles a love triangle/square really differently compared to other Kim Eun Sook dramas and Korean dramas. I think each male lead is in love with their own idea of Kim Tae Ri. Yoo Yeon Seok's character Goo Dong Mae was obsessed with Kim Tae Ri's character Go Ae Shin after their first encounter during their childhood and he looks out for her in his own way but initially, Ae Shin just thinks he has something against her and her status. 

Spoiler

Byun Yo Han's character Kim Hee Sung is drowning in his own regrets because he made Ae Shin (his betrothed) wait for him throughout a lengthy period and then she fell in love with someone else while waiting for him while Kim Hee Sung fell in love with Ae Shin the moment he saw her. 

And Lee Byung Hun's character Eugene Choi falls in love with Ae Shin, a woman who is from the country that abandoned him - the same woman who is trying to save that country.

Spoiler

This drama really resonated with me because I'm Korean-American and the historical events behind this drama's plot is really culturally personal. Growing up Korean-American, I went through a phase that's very common amongst other Asian-Americans. You just want to be identified as American and not be labeled as Asian-American but I learned to grow out of this very sad mindset and have come to embrace and appreciate my culture. This drama also deals with a topic that many people aren't familiar with. Many people don't realize that Korea gained independence in 1945 after being under Japanese rule for 35 years. In my opinion, this drama was able to educate people on history that many people weren't aware of and that many have forgotten about. When this drama was airing, a lot of the comments I translated were about commenters saying that they can't forget what the independence fighters fought for so that they can have the Korea they currently have. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the writer Kim Eun Sook said that she got inspiration to write 'Mr. Sunshine' after seeing a picture of members of the Righteous Army at a museum. 

Spoiler

I also loved how this drama was able to make actress Kim Min Jung's acting shine. Kim Min Jung is a well-known actress but I feel like she's mostly known for her glamorous looks rather than her acting. But her performance as Yang Hwa really left me breathless as she played a character who was only living on with the hopes of finding her mother and to sabotage her traitor father's (Kim Eui Sung) plans.  

Spoiler

I think my favorite part about this drama would have to be the selflessness from many of the good-hearted characters like Hamandaek (Lee Jung Eun), Shin Jung Geun (Haengrang), Shim Jong Min/the tailor (Nam Chang Hee), and more. Many of these good-hearted characters weren't afraid to risk their jobs and lives in order for their loved ones to live in a better Korea and in this drama, they knew Ae Shin needed to survive in order to help Korea gain independence. 

Overall, this was one of my favorite dramas of 2018. The production, directing, acting, and dialogue really touched my heart one by one. You can feel whenever a character was going through a heartache after losing someone they loved (make sure to have tissues next to you starting from episode 14 and onwards). Even if you're not a fan of historical Korean dramas, I definitely recommend you to check out 'Mr. Sunshine'. There's still a modern twist to it so that the drama won't seem monotonous and you'll learn something about Korea that you never knew about. 

Pyrography Art & clip by Artist WB

• Like 5

Fans' items on sale ~ LBH pouch and metal sticker. Please check out the naver link for easy-ordering. Thanks to mistymorning for the info in English.

Source: 날개 @AlatusDeus

Response period: 2019.01.07 (Mon) - 2019.01.21 (Mon)

Leather pouch - 15,000 KRW about $14 USD

Metal sticker - 5000 KRW about $5 USD

EMS fee separate

• Like 4

BH's new instagram, caption saying

Good posture is fundamental to all sports.

But I realized there were important things other than fundamentals then....(I'm not a referee here).

#GBW #Doonhuang #Soccergame

In some GBW interview(or clips), I remember JWS was talking about soccer game style of SGH and LBH.(found article here). By JWS, "Gangho hyung does army sergeant soccer. He just stands near goal post, scores all the goals and does the ceremony. Byunghun hyung does healthy baby soccer, running the field no relation to the ball, like doing personal training." "We did games between actor team and action actor team. We lost to action actor team every time so main casts had to pay betting money, but Gangho hyung insisted he's not main casts every time at that moment(when he had to pay)"

I like he's sharing fun and making jokes on his instagram. It makes this fan's waiting period until his next project much easier. :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Thanks so much @mistymorning for the translated caption and wonderful GBW tidbit. th_celebrate008.gifThis is such a rare sharing by BH (never seen this clip before th_no2.gif), how the cast & crew spent their time to relax during their 100-day filming in Dunhuang for the movie. It's so funny seeing Byunghun-ssi running up and down the field but not getting the ball at all but what JWS said.. that he's playing 'healthy baby soccer' is so spot-on indeed! :P BH was really enjoying himself and exercising at the same time.. never mind the ball, LOL!

He's totally a certified IG-addict now.. but we're not complaining, right. However, can't help feeling a bit sad as he's not doing any dramas (for the time being) and we have to wait awhile longer for the movies to be out instead. It's also still too early to hope for any new stills to be released.176.gif

Kinda wished we have another Mr.Sunshine (with a happy ending) this year.. huh.. haha.. th_sigh.gif..

Lovely rapport between GHJ and LBH offscreen but their Single Rider was nothing like this.. sobsob! And lets not get started on Mr.Sunshine. th_sad004.gif

Source: 도미 @kkonre

• Like 6

5 hours ago, mistymorning said:

But I realized there were important things other than fundamentals then....(I'm not a referee here).

In some GBW interview(or clips), I remember JWS was talking about soccer game style of SGH and LBH.(found article here). By JWS, "Gangho hyung does army sergeant soccer. He just stands near goal post, scores all the goals and does the ceremony. Byunghun hyung does healthy baby soccer, running the field no relation to the ball, like doing personal training." "We did games between actor team and action actor team. We lost to action actor team every time so main casts had to pay betting money, but Gangho hyung insisted he's not main casts every time at that moment(when he had to pay)"

I like he's sharing fun and making jokes on his instagram. It makes this fan's waiting period until his next project much easier. :D

And.... LMJ commented on the post too :D

• 216jung

공 닿으면 지는 피구 아님....

"This isn't dodge ball where you die if you're hit..."

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

5 hours ago, mistymorning said:

And.... LMJ commented on the post too :D

• 216jung

공 닿으면 지는 피구 아님....

"This isn't dodge ball where you die if you're hit..."

th_lmfao.gif That is too funny! She really knows how to leave a good comment. :lol: Seeing how BH doesn't get the ball, one would think he's playing dodge ball or avoiding it instead. th_duck.gifThe couple probably had played the game themselves on their vacation or with friends.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, garbolein77 said:

Hello,

I discovered a new picture. Pls check the 4th one. 

Hi, it's an old photo though.. when the Busan Filmfest were featuring The Good The Bad & The Weird back in 2008. But the movie never gets old, of course.. looks like it's a favorite for BH as well. He posted a lot of throwback about the movie, apart from Mr.Sunshine.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, rubie said:

Hi, it's an old photo though.. when the Busan Filmfest were featuring The Good The Bad & The Weird back in 2008. But the movie never gets old, of course.. looks like it's a favorite for BH as well. He posted a lot of throwback about the movie, apart from Mr.Sunshine.

Ohh, never seen it before. It was a funny movie. 

• Like 4

This may.. or may not work. Regretfully, the ELBH website is still offlimits but here is our GBW Gallery on Google. I'm not sure if others can view it.. perhaps, those with Google accounts would be able to. But try clicking on it to see and let me know if the photos can be viewed or not, so that it can be adjusted accordingly

th_note1.gif  LINK

Just for reference: Soompi GBW thread if anyone is interested. However, most of the older movie/drama threads have the previously posted images/links not working.

• Like 4

January 16, 2019

19 hours ago,  mistymorning said: 

In some GBW interview(or clips), I remember JWS was talking about soccer game style of SGH and LBH.(found article here). By JWS, "Gangho hyung does army sergeant soccer. He just stands near goal post, scores all the goals and does the ceremony. Byunghun hyung does healthy baby soccer, running the field no relation to the ball, like doing personal training." "We did games between actor team and action actor team. We lost to action actor team every time so main casts had to pay betting money, but Gangho hyung insisted he's not main casts every time at that moment(when he had to pay)"

I like he's sharing fun and making jokes on his instagram. It makes this fan's waiting period until his next project much easier. :D

Thank you @mistymorning for the recently posted information on Byung Hun-ssi  soccer game.  Like @rubie you must  have an encyclopaedic memory on BH's information.   How can you remember an article posted in 2008 about Lee Byung Hun playing soccer with with co-stars of "The Good, The Bad & The Weird" ?  I am truly amazed.   You made all his fans so happy.

We all look forward to his postings on Instagram.  We still have a long wait for his next project.

• Like 5

Thank you @peonie, haha, it just happened that GBW is my first movie of BH to become a fan. - Before I only knew him from Tomorrow Love. And then I watched A bittersweet life, and that was it for me. :D And all GBW commentary/interview is really fun to listen, you can feel that they suffered a lot but together they had lots of fun. The DVD commentary is a must listen. 

Here is nice mention of BH in latest article from, in red color, 

Cine21 Article on "Chiefs of Namsan" , Director WMH interview. translation is by me.

15_13_09__5c3c28750446e_2019011613151306

"I thought that my movie career may end after this film. But I still did it." Continuing the streak of <Inside men>(2015) and <Drug King>(2018), Director Woo Minho again puts his hand on bigger accusation report of modern history. <Chiefs of Namsan> is an espionage thriller based on Kim Choong Sik's novel with same name, about Korean Central Intelligence Agency(KCIA) ‘s ‘Mafia like’ intelligence activities and secret stories and histories during the president Park Junghee’s 18 years of reign. This film will study the realities of 1970’s reign of terror closely, focusing on Kim Gyupyung(Lee Byung-hun) and Park Yonggak(Gwak Dowon) who shot the president Park(Lee Sungmin) who was at the top of the power. “I cannot ignore my feelings that the current issues have roots in parent’s time of 1970s.” In the middle of shooting which was cranked in Oct. last year, director WMH is working on this with the resolution that “this is the end of accusation series”. “If I filmed <Drug King> with fun, now I’m holding out day after day, with doubts." We met director WMH on thin ice, in the center of set.

-    Getting close to 1970’s reign of fear based on original novel with same name.
I read original novel <Chiefs of Namsan> when I was in college. Writer Kim Choongsik published serial report articles he did in <Donga newspaper> during 90s under president “Noh Taewoo”. Original novel was a bestseller back then, sold 520K copies, and this represents the text for modern/present political history of Korea. Among Japanese journalists this is the book that should be read before coming to Korea. I wanted to do this because it was really a movie worthy story as well as a major historical event but afraid to do so. After I was done with <Inside men>, I thought of doing this again.

-    Why do you wanted to do this movie for so long, and what’s the main focus of the story?
Korea Central Intelligence Agency was the center of 1970s dictatorship government after October restoration. Because of that power, things were eventually lead to the final collapse. To Oct 26th(*translator note: this is the day President Park was shot). I’m describing 40 days before the event. What happened during that 40 days that result to the final end. I wanted to make a movie focused on events, not on characters. <Drug King> was formed on characters without big events, this movie is closer to <Inside men>. <Drug King> described 10 years, physical time in this movie is much shorter. So things will move faster, and how to liven up the tension is the issue.

-    This reminds us the movie <The president’s last bang> by director Lim Sangsoo, dealing with same time and assassination of the man in power.
<The president’s last bang> didn't put emphasis on the event. Rather than focusing on why Kim Jaegyu shot Park Junghee, and their emotions, it was more of black comedy drawing messy status of nation and pathetic men. My movie focuses on why so it’ll have different tones. I’m centering what the characteristic of power is, and why they behaved that way.

-    How did you interpret main characters “Chiefs of Namsan” who were parasites of fear mongering politics and abandoned at the end.

Park Junghee didn’t even trust KCIA who is the closest aids. Chiefs were the 2nd in power and this is the story of them, but they were all killed in the end. Those who were at the center of the power but didn’t really have any power. Even Park Junghee, who was at the top of the power for 18 years, thought to be enjoying it and trying to hold on to it, but he missed the chance to step down and got the wretched end, as the power dictated. Power is always there, and there will be another faction who wants it. We thought it is where the major power is, but in reality, it may not be anything, just empty space. They were just servants of the power and it’s the power which moved.

-    Chief Kim Gyupyung is interesting character with complexities, who was the closest aide to president Park but become a shooter who killed the president. You’re working again with Lee Byunghun after <Inside men>

This is a role that needs to foreshadow future events and to show complex mindsets thru minimal lines. And also needs to present even the smallest things with detail. I couln’t think of anyone else can do it, if Lee Byunghun didn't do this role, so I didn’t send script to any other actor. After <Inside men> I told him I bought the right for movie for original novel and wanted to do it together. Back then it was under president Park Geunhye(* translator note: president Park Junghee’s daughter), and this scenario deals with subject matters anyone rarely want to jump on but he gave me ok.

-    This is dramatized movie, but reminds us the ties with actual people.
Not for all characters but some are modeled with real people in mind. Lee Byung hun has some points that remind us some of Kim Jaegyu, Lee Heejoon, the role of Gawk( which could be Cha JiChul) gained weight for the role. The actor who reminds us president Jeon shaved his head, and I think it’s fun try for outside appearance. The name “President Park” is the only one that’s real, everyone else uses different name and not real name.

-    Actors from <Drug King>, Lee Sungmin, Lee Heejoon and Kim Sojin appears again in this movie.
Actor Lee Sungmin only has short scene in <Drug King> but in this movie he’ll have more presence as President Park. I managed to persuade him (laughing) for the role. Actor Lee Heejoon and actress Kim Sojin from <Drug King> will have bigger roles in this movie. They’ll show how main characters like chief Kim, president Park, security chief Gwak, chief Park and Debora Shim go against each other and struggles thru their superb acting.

15_12_55__5c3c28674ea96_2019011613151299

<Chiefs of Namsan>

Dir Woo Minho/Casts Lee Byunghun, Lee Sungmin, Gawk Dowon, Lee Heejoon, Kim Sojin/ Production company Zemstone pictures, Hive Media Corp./Distribution Showbox/Release 2019

Synopsis. In 1970s Washington DC, U.S. It is in the middle of hearing titled “Korea gate” on Korean lobbyists and US senates who’s in suspicion for being lobbied. Then, Korea was under the power of KCIA which was above national assembly, political parties, Constitution, militaries or police, and dictator “president Park” who controlled the KCIA. It was the time of terror that if you were against the changes in Constitution, you were considered against the power and discarded. Former KCIA chief Park Yonggak(Gawk Dowon) with the secret of the power and under constant threat of death, decided to seek asylum in US. Espionage and power struggle will follow between the 2nd in powers, KCIA chief Kim Gyupyung(Lee Byunghun) who did the core role for keeping absolute power, Aspiring 2nd in power Gawk Sangchun security chief(Lee Heejoon) and lobbyist Debora Shim.

Another 1970s story after <Drug King> Drug king put light upon the year of 1972 and 10 years afterward, this movie will show later 1970s.  How to differentiate. Woo Minho said “Even though it’s the same 1970s, this movie’s tone will be much different from <Drug King>”. Less glamour and more of even tone concept. Filming and art in production will be minimal to put focus on acting. “Referring movies of Jean-Pierre Melville”, he will present mystery spy story of cold noir with assassination subject. While <Drug King> showed us various images of Korea in 1970s, this time movie will have scenes between the Blue house, KCIA building and safe house. And scenery of Washington DC and Paris of 1970s, where the assassination will take place, will be something to look forward to.

Article:Lee Whajung Photo: Choi Sungyeul.

• Like 6

On 1/16/2019 at 7:41 PM, kansas424 said:

I hope to see both director Kim and LBH work on a new project again. TBH, director Kim's movies were better when he had LBH as main lead back then LOL !! Each one of them remained as classic until now.

LBH is really .. like Dir. Kim's muse. :lol: Indeed, their past 3 movies (+ 1 cameo) collaboration are true classic & simply gold. They really should get back together. :P Although Dir. KJW's strengths are in thriller and action movies, I remember reading once he hoped to direct a different genre.. like comedy or romance. Who knows.. he could direct a rom-com for LBH.. he hasn't done that in awhile either. But most importantly.. if they work together again.. there have to be that spark for success. Somehow.. the Korean movies have been in less than lukewarm mode these days.

bh_pcw_ktr.jpg

Also hoping for another collaboration with Dir Park Chan Wook .. although his movies are rather bold & daring. BH is a fan of Dir. Park.. so.. maybe.. maybe..

@mistymorning, thank you so much for the translation on Dir. WMH's interview. We can't thank you enough. Hopefully the movie will be as good as INSIDE MEN or even better, considering that it's based on a best-selling novel and part of the Korean history.

• Like 7