Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

Post from Esquire Korea magazine instagram.

Post translation is, 

The best meets the best with the best. Actor Lee Byunghun and Jaeger-Lecoultre meets on the cover of January 2019 Esquire. The ties between Lee Byunghun and Jaeger-Lecoultre started in the movie "I Come with the Rain" on 2009, which was the first multi-national movie for Lee ByugnHun. In the movie, his character was wearing Jaeger-Lecoultre watch. Beginning with the movie "I Come with the rain", Lee Byunghun continued his bold global steps and turned into a hollywood star. Jaeger-Lecoultre had been with the beginning of Lee Byunghun, a global actor who is the first Korean in Academy award. Lee Byunghun still treasured that Jaeger-Lecoultre. Thru the drama 'Mr Sunshine', a Netflix drama which is known well worldwide, Lee Byunghun proved his acting skill of the century once again. This interview with Esquire is the first solo interview after "Mr. Sunshine". Lee Byunghun will share exclusive stories about "Mr Sunshine", his philosophy about acting, his attitude toward life, and news about new movie "Chiefs of Namsan". Please meet Eugene Choi Lee Byunghun who just came back from picnic in Joseon.

• Like 6

Movie make up artist exhibition, who's specialized for historical movies. He did make-up and hair for the movie Gwanghae and Fortress. Exhibition "Exhibition: Creating faces in movie - extensive records of Korean Movie make-up by make-up artist Cho Taehee" will be held in Dec 29th 2018 to Apr 23rd, 2019 in Ara Art Center in Insadong, Seoul.

This exhibition will show concept drawings, special wigs and mustaches, accessories and other high quality make up techniques, in the movies he worked on starting with the movie "Gwanghae"(2012), The Fatal Encounter(2014), The Throne(2015), The Fortress(2017), Park Yul(2017), The Great Battle(2018), total of 15 movies and main characters in those movies. 

From Cho's instagram, the exhibition poster.

83214_88101_2342.jpg

83214_88103_2634.png

Dragon hairpin used in the movie Gwanghae

And again from Cho's instagram with BH. 

• Like 6

December 21, 2018

Check Out The Most-Watched Miniseries Dramas Of 2018

Source: Soompi by E. Cha

Check Out The Most-Watched Miniseries Dramas Of 2018

As we approach the end of 2018, the industry is taking a look back at some of the year’s most popular dramas!

On December 21, a new report ranked the miniseries dramas that scored the highest viewership ratings in 2018 (according to Nielsen Korea). The report took into consideration all miniseries that aired between January 1 and December 20, 2018, including dramas that aired on public broadcast networks (SBS, KBS, and MBC) and dramas that aired on cable networks (such as JTBC, MBN, tvN, OCN, and more).

SBS’s “Return,” which aired from January 17 to March 22, took No. 1 in the rankings as the most-watched miniseries drama of 2018. The mystery thriller drama, which enjoyed average nationwide viewership ratings as high as 17.4 percent and a peak of 20.1 percent, told the suspenseful story of a lawyer and a detective joining forces to investigate a high-society murder case.

Despite facing an unusual hurdle—”Return” switched its lead actress halfway through its run, citing personal conflicts between leading lady Go Hyun Jung and the production staff—the drama still managed to score the highest viewership ratings of any miniseries this year.

A representative of SBS’s drama division commented, “Director Joo Dong Min, who [helmed] ‘Return,’ is currently working on the drama ‘The Last Empress.’ It’s worth keeping an eye on the speedy rise [in viewership ratings] of ‘The Last Empress’ as well.”

Check out the top 11 highest-rated miniseries dramas of 2018 below!

1. SBS’s “Return”
2. tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”
3. KBS 2TV’s “The Miracle We Met”
4. tvN’s “Encounter” [currently airing]
5. tvN’s “Prison Playbook”
6. SBS’s “Should We Kiss First”
7. SBS’s “30 but 17”
8. SBS’s “The Last Empress” [currently airing]
9. KBS 2TV’s “Black Knight”
10. tvN’s “100 Days My Prince”
11. MBC’s “Less than Evil”

Source (1)

• Like 6

Thank you for updates and translations @rubie, @mistymorning.

I liked Return, but I loved Mr. Sunshine....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

December Movie Star Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

8f4cb5d33ee245f6857b1a7d641fc24f.jpeg?s=

The Korean Business Research Institute has revealed this month’s brand reputation rankings for film actors!

The rankings were determined through an analysis of the consumer participation, media coverage, interaction, and community awareness indexes of 50 popular movie stars, using big data collected from November 20 to December 21.

Actor Lee Byung Hun topped this month’s rankings with a brand reputation index of 7,910,272, marking a 69.44 percent increase in his score since October.

High-ranking phrases in Lee Byung Hun’s keyword analysis included “Lee Min Jung,” “Instagram,” and “son,” while his highest-ranking related terms included “cool,” “romantic,” and “resemblance.”

Ma Dong Seok took second place for the month with a brand reputation index of 7,051,961, enjoying a 79.76 percent increase from his previous score.

Meanwhile, Ha Jung Woo followed at a close third after seeing a staggering 249.90 percent increase in his score since October. The actor’s total brand reputation index for December came out to 7,031,859.

Check out the top 30 for this month below!

1. Lee Byung Hun

Movie-Star-Rankings.jpg

See full list Here

• Like 5

827d965427384543897c88418a64fa0b.jpeg?s=

Yoo Yeon Suk Sends Coffee Truck To “Mr. Sunshine” Co-Star Lee Byung Hun’s Movie Set

Another “Mr. Sunshine” co-star has sent Lee Byung Hun their support on the set of his new movie!

Last week, Lee Byung Hun posted a photo of the coffee truck that Byun Yo Han sent him on the set of “Managers of Namsan” (literal title).

On December 21, Lee Byung Hun posted another photo of the coffee truck sent him by Yoo Yeon Suk. The banner on the coffee truck shows a photo of Yoo Yeon Suk and an adapted quote from “Mr. Sunshine.”

Instead of signing off with his character name from the drama, though, the banner concludes, “From Monty (I am an Englishman for the time being).” This is a reference to Yoo Yeon Suk’s current musical, “A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder.”

In his Instagram post, Lee Byung Hun wrote, “I should hate you but I like you, I’m in trouble.”

Source

• Like 6

Thank you so much @mistymorning for the Esquire magazine translation and the movie make-up artist's update. Really good to see Lee Byung Hun starting 2019 gracing the Esquire cover, what a way to start a new year indeed! ^_^ Didn't realize that he had worn Jaeger LeCoultre in the movie I COME WITH THE RAIN in 2009.. no wonder in that widespread capture of the bloody scene, he was shirtless with the watch still on him. It's only timing that LBH & JLC would meet again after 10 years, for Esquire. Definitely looking forward to the magazine interview with Byunghun.th_coffee5.gif

Spoiler

200802210429.jpg

The exhibition featuring the movie make-up artist and his work has two of LBH's movies, MASQUERADE and THE FORTRESS.. undeniably two of the best period movies as well.. That is pretty cool and the public & tourists to Seoul would be able to visit the exhibition when it opens. Truly a great highlight to share.

@irilight Thanks so much for the updates of Byunghun-ssi. Topping the December ranking, obviously a great ending post to recap the fantastic 2018 for LBH. Even though he has no new movies in the second half of the year, only KEYS TO THE HEART earlier on and then MR.SUNSHINE.. BH is shining throughout with his sterling acting complete with the strong support of his family, friends and fabulous fans of course. :blush:

Lee Min Jung going on MOM'S DIARY was such a treat and great insight of her lovely family :wub: sharing the firsthand experience with BH and their adorable son.. totally unexpected yet so heartwarming. It is nothing.. not at all like what's been wrongly perceived by the skeptics.

It's just amazing that 3 of his MR.SUNSHINE co-stars had sent BH their support through the coffee & snack truck to CHIEFS OF NAMSAN. Truly shows that they have such a a great relationship filming together and the friendship is really so warm & positive to have between colleagues. th_coffee1.gif

Our Captain Eugene is really having fun on Instagram.. we have waited for this for quite awhile and it's finally the right moment for him to share directly with fans.

Photo: alatus_deus

• Like 5

W i s h i n g  e v e r y o n e  c e l e b r a t i n g

th_xmas-tree.gifth_snowman.gifth_xmas-tree.gifth_xmas-tree.gifth_snowman.gif th_xmas-tree.gifth_xmas-tree.gifth_xmastree1.gifth_xmas-tree.gifth_xmas-tree.gifth_snowman.gif th_xmas-tree.gifth_xmas-tree.gifth_snowman.gifth_xmas-tree.gif

av-4239.gifth_xmaswreath2.gifth_xmas-happy.gifth_xmaswreath2.gifav-4239.gif

elbhxmas.gif

• Like 6

• rubie changed the title to Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee
8 hours ago, kansas424 said:

Hi Rubie, is the LBH fan made calender sold out already?

Hmm.. I'm not quite sure. It could be fan-made, it could be the official one via JOFC.. if referring to the captures above. If it's fan-made, it's probably not publicized/shared openly. If it's the official one, the pre-order might still be open.. although I don't have the details (maybe I missed it, maybe it hasn't been released), usually sold through Japanese bookstores/outlets. 

As far as I know, the Korean fan sharing the pics always purchase the official LBH merchandise through Rubeurs/JOFC. 

Anyone with the calendar info, please share at the thread. th_tq.gif Since ELBH is still not functioning fully (and I'm currently on some medication, not fully focusing on stuff).. I've ceased compiling the updates for the time being. Only posting here at soompi and some on twitter.

Spoiler

It's kinda hard to share about fan-made items (although they're around if we know where to look).. however, BH Entertainment is very particular about it especially those being sold, concerning copyrights etc.

Saw the news on Korean media today and found an English article.. just to share the info. Hopefully BH Entertainment will continue to prosper in 2019 and create more successful projects in the industry.. on television and on the big screen.

December 27, 2018

Yang Ik-june signs with BH

By Yeo Ye-rim INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

Spoiler

26195853.jpg

Director and actor Yang Ik-june signed an exclusive contract with BH Entertainment, the home of popular actors Lee Byung-hun, Han Ga-in, Han Ji-min and Han Hyo-joo.

“We will actively communicate with Yang, a talented actor, director and entertainer, and we will give our full support to him,” the agency announced on Wednesday.

Yang made his debut in 2009 with the film “Breathless,” which he both directed and starred in himself. He gained fame through his appearances in various series, including SBS’s “It’s Okay, That’s Love” (2014), KBS2’s “Queen of Mystery” (2017) and OCN’s “Bad Guys” (2017-2018).

• Like 5

December 24, 2018

1987 Takes Grand Prize at Golden Cinema Film Festival

KEYS TO THE HEART Wins Golden Cinematography Award

20180103bd.gif

by Pierce Conran KOFIC

The Golden Cinema Film Festival Awards, an annual event put on by the Korean Society of Cinematographers (KSC), recently held its 38th edition and awarded its top prize to the political drama 1987: When the Day Comes (2017) from director JANG Joon-hwan, who also earned the Best Director Award. The Gold Cinematography Award went to KIM Tae-seong for his work on the family drama Keys to the Heart. 

The Silver Cinematography Award went to YOON Hong-shik for Sermon on the Mount (2017), which also won Best New Director for YOO Young-uee, who shared the prize with AN Jae-seok, the director of Blue Busking (2017). The Bronze Cinematography Award went to JUNG Jae-seung for ORIGINAL SIN.

joha_dance1.gif

The ceremony’s Acting Grand Prize was given to superstar LEE Byung-hun for his role in Keys to the Heart. Best Actor went to KIM Yun-seok in 1987: When the Day Comes, Best Actress was won by CHOI Hee-seo of Anarchist from the colony (2017), KIM Dong-wook took Best Supporting Actor for Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds (2017) and the Best Supporting Actress prize went to PARK Ha-seon of Midnight Runners (2017).

Among the other prizes handed out during the evening were the Best Lighting Award, which went to KIM Jae-keun for his work on The Prison (2017). The Best New Actor prize was shared by BAEK Seo-bin of Sermon on the Mount and KIM Shin-eui of Blue Busking, and Best New Actress went to CHOI Ri of Keys to the Heart.

• Like 7

December 28, 2018

Lee Byung Hun, “the god of acting,” will not read the script often at the shooting scene.  (A translation)

20181227_2.jpg

“When I first arrived in Hollywood, I lacked curiosity.  Many people said that men should have ambitions and goals, but I am just the opposite. Since I have no ambition and when I am interviewed, I will feel panicky when I am asked what my goal is.   I said no, I didn't want to go anywhere, and I didn't have a destination.  Although I have this type of character, having a goal  does not seemed to be very important for actors in their profession. Like everyone else, from the moment I started to let myself go, it seemed that I have been pushed to wherever I went, so I followed along to where I could go.” “The name Lee Byung Hun has always been affixed with such titles as an international star, Hollywood actor, the god of acting, the big actor and others.  “It is the hoobae who wants  to act together with the sunbaes.  At the same time, the embarrassing sunbaes feared when acting together, they will be overwhelmed by their great acting. “  So the real big actor Lee Byung Hun is not a great one.  He does not have a great goal or a clear ambition to arrive at where he is today.  This is the way he described his life as an actor.

This is the first time that Lee Byung Hun has had a special cover interview with” Esquire Korea" following the most popular TV series "Mr. Sunshine" in 2018.  Lee Byung Hun, the brand ambassador of the fine watch  manufacturer Jaeger-LeCoultre, elegantly represented the products of Jaeger-LeCoultre such as Polaris and Reverso through the  “Esquire” cover shot in January 2019.

In addition, in his  exclusive interview with "Esquire", he told the secret behind the story  of "Mr. Sunshine” and the serious and human agony about acting, revealed through his unique wit and frankness.

Lee Byung Hun made an evaluation on the title of 'God of acting.' “Everyone was very surprised that I often didn't read the script at the shooting scene. 'I was like this when I was filming. The same applies to TV dramas.  When you first read the script, you understood the emotions. Once you have determined the shape of the character, you will not research it again. Because if you continue to  go deeper, you will be somewhat limited. Therefore,you get rid of these limited emotions, no matter what kind of lines you are given, you deliver them in the tone of the characters that you have prepared.  That way you can perform more smoothly.  However, if you restrict yourself by calculating your performance, the shoulders will become stiff and unable to move. Therefore, explosive power is very important in acting.”  'So, compared to 'good performance', Lee Byung Hun prefers to use acting with 'feeling'.  Also in terms of preparation do not prepare other things but place the character in your heart, this is real preparation. It’s good to go through the lines again. Only by grasping the character’s qualities can you create a better effect than the screen writer’s. The famous ad lib line from “Inside Men”  “Let’s have a drink of Maldives at Mojito” brought out the flexible performance of Ahh Sang Goo.

Lee Byung Hun said if you act opposite a stronger actor, your acting will improve. “A reporter asked me, whether acting opposite an actor who acts well be a burden, I am just the opposite, I will act better and better, which is great for the work in question.”  “For example in “The Fortress”, I achieved a three-way balance with Kim Yoon Seok and Park Hae Il without destroying the equilibrium. It’s only this way can a movie survive.  If I was weaker than sunbae Kim Yoon Seok, and the editor tried, in the second half, to save me by emphasizing my performance, the overall balance will be destroyed.  It is only when actors perform their best on the spot can a movie survive.

On the other hand, he said that he has now learned how to treat the younger by not overwhelming them.  The actors are sensitive and sometimes get nervous and shake in front of me.  At the scene, sometimes because of the fear of surpassing the etiquette between sunbaes and hoobaes, a sense of fear is created,  At first  I did not pay attention and did not understand this nervousness.  However, when Lee Byung Hun took part in “Misconduct” and acted opposite the famous actor Al Pacino, he felt nervous, then understood the nervousness of the other actors and learned how to care about other actors. “ When I stood in front of Al Pacino, suddenly I became nervous.  Since there were only a few lines, it was very smooth while practising. But the moment we started to shoot, I could not remember even the few lines. Probably because I was too flustered, I immediately said 'I'm sorry' in Korean. At that time, Al Pacino said start again, it does not matter.”   Lee Byung Hun i added that the actors who act with me should also show up 100% of their preparation, if they only show half of their preparation because of me, it would be a shame.   Although I am not Al Pacino, I have been joking with the younger generation since then, and will do it in advance.

Lee Byung Hun is an actor who has been strengthened by acting against countless actors in numerous works, going back and forth between Korea and Hollywood.  The stronger the opponent actors, the stronger the acting will be. This is the reason why Lee Byung Hun is called the god of acting.  He again proved his acing in “Mr. Sunshine” a collaboration with screen writer Kim Eun Sook. In an interview with “Esquire”,  Lee Byung Hun talked about the fragility hidden inside the powerful;  the care that was learned through it, and the concern for the opponent.  It tells the journey of Lee Byung Hun  to overcome limitations of his own and led by curiosity to an unknown work.

Lee Byung-hun is currently filming the film "The Ministers of Nanshan" with the director Woo Min Ho.  He got into the next project without resting right after “Mr. Sunshine”, the topic of our conversation.  In addition, he is in preparation to star in a movie “Mount Paektu” with Ha Jung Woo.  It is really a continuous activity.  He said,”  'Now, like the actors of many works, I used to be asked why I was not shooting movies.”  Because I used to think about it for more than a month, but in general I wouldn't take part in it. But I don't know how it started when I broke the rope suddenly. It seems that I have started to take risks since then.  Then, from what works, Lee Byung Hun began to make bold choices and began to challenge, and what kind of dialogue he had about Kim Eun Sook and the main protagonist, Eugene Choi of “Mr. Sunshine”. For more information , please  pay attention to the Esquire January 2019 and confirm the cover story.

Source:  https://www.weibo.com/p/10080837fc75b8b4ff4c716b44adc6a5a6ecb1/super_index

Second source:  https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=076&aid=0003361722

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for updates and translations, @rubie, and @peonie
It certainly has been another terrific year for Lee Byung Hun, and I am so very happy with each new piece of news.

Lee Byung-hun Is as Good-looking as Ever

photo1025466.jpg

Lee Byung-hun's watch pictorial has been released.

The January issue of the men's magazine Esquire featured Lee Byung-hun on its cover.

In the following pictorial, Lee Byung-hun looks classic and manly, perfect for the chic styling of concept.

He is wearing a turtleneck sweater with a tone-on-tone strapped watch to complete his look. He has long been a beauty and fashion icon in the industry as well as a staple actor of film and drama.

Meanwhile, Lee Byung-hun recently starred in the drama "Mr. Sunshine".

source

• Like 5

@peonie Thank you Barbara, for the translation of the ESQUIRE article and the highlight on KEYS TO THE HEART screening in Japan. That's quite an extensive article featuring Lee Byung Hun and how he sees his acting career through his own perspective. Even though he said he had no big-ger ambition regarding acting, I remember reading an old interview that many years ago, he wished that he'd be able to choose his own script as what he personally wanted to do. Most often, I believe many actors were limited by the offers they received and even more often than not, being dictated by their managers or agencies to take certain role(s) instead. Right now and  rightfully so.. BH has established himself one of the most sought-after actors in Korea as the new scripts are constantly being sent to him for review, if he'd be interested instead. That's why more than once we'd read updates that he's reviewing a certain this or that role (news leak by concerned companies, perhaps), him being highly interested but in the end, he rejected the offer. So, once he had chosen a script, there's no turning back and he'll give his all & a whole lot more.

Hopefully KEYS TO THE HEART will get a good response in Japan. It was released in Korea at the beginning of 2018 and now, closing the year to usher 2019, the movie is once again bringing its charm of family message to the Japanese audience & fans.

December 27, 2018

Lee Byung-hun Is as Good-looking as Ever

Source: Hankook Ilbo via HanCinema.net

Dvf0Jo-UYAAtUfP.jpg

Spoiler

Lee Byung-hun's watch pictorial has been released.

The January issue of the men's magazine Esquire featured Lee Byung-hun on its cover.

In the following pictorial, Lee Byung-hun looks classic and manly, perfect for the chic styling of concept.

He is wearing a turtleneck sweater with a tone-on-tone strapped watch to complete his look.

He has long been a beauty and fashion icon in the industry as well as a staple actor of film and drama.

Meanwhile, Lee Byung-hun recently starred in the drama "Mr. Sunshine".

Eugene caricature by maibalily19

• Like 5

Published on December 25, 2018 by kstylenews

Lee Byung Hun Congratulating Kstyle on its 7th Anniversary

News update highlighted by @mistymorning previously:

Movie make up artist exhibition, who's specialized for historical movies. He did make-up and hair for the movie Gwanghae and Fortress. Exhibition "Exhibition: Creating faces in movie - extensive records of Korean Movie make-up by make-up artist Cho Taehee" will be held in Dec 29th 2018 to Apr 23rd, 2019 in Ara Art Center in Insadong, Seoul.

This exhibition will show concept drawings, special wigs and mustaches, accessories and other high quality make up techniques, in the movies he worked on starting with the movie "Gwanghae"(2012), The Fatal Encounter(2014), The Throne(2015), The Fortress(2017), Park Yul(2017), The Great Battle(2018), total of 15 movies and main characters in those movies. 

From Cho's instagram, the exhibition poster.

Spoiler

83214_88101_2342.jpg

Spoiler

83214_88103_2634.png

Dragon hairpin used in the movie Gwanghae

Source: style_taehee_cho

Spoiler

• Like 6

Hi! This year is almost at the end, hope everyone is warm and happy !

Bring you nice clip from 

The show is called "Pocha without border" (Pocha = Pojangmacha, a street food stall you can see in Korea, sell drinks and foods). I think they go abroad and I see old movie star Park Joonghoon here and current star Shin Sekyung(I remember her from drama, Deep rooted tree) cooking and serving foods here. In this clip, a french writer, Bernard Werber(Famous in Korea for the book , Empire of the ants),  visited with his friend a movie script writer. His friend is talking about the movie "I saw the devil", that it's his all time favourite movie.

Not in this clip, but later Bernard Werber said he liked the movie, "The Chaser" and "The Fortress". (Source) Hey, they happen to have great tastes in movies, just like us. :D

• Like 5
  • LOL 2