Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

variety-1.jpg

December 5, 2019

Lee Byung-hun’s ‘Man Standing Next’ Secures 2020 Asia Theatrical Releases (EXCLUSIVE)

By SONIA KIL Variety.com

Showbox’s political drama “The Man Standing Next” has secured releases in multiple territories in Asia. The film was picked up by Falcon for Indonesia, The Klockworx for Japan, Viva Communications for the Philippines, Shaw Renters for Singapore and by Moviecloud for Taiwan. Release dates in each territory have yet to be confirmed.

Set 40 days before former South Korean President Park Chung-hee’s assassination in 1979, “Man Standing Next” tackles the relationships and conflicts among second-in-command characters who were at the peak of the power struggle.

Based on local political journalist-turned-writer Kim Choong-seek’s best-selling non-fiction “KCIA Chiefs,” the film marks the reunion of director Woo Min-ho (“Drug King”) and actor Lee Byung-hun (“G.I. Joe”), after the success of “Inside Men” in 2016. “Inside Men” and director’s cut “Inside Men: The Original” together managed some 9 million ticket sales in South Korea.

“Man Standing Next” features Lee, one of the most internationally known Korean actors, as the director of Korean Central Intelligence Agency which pulls the trigger on the President, and whom he had previously faithfully served. Alongside Lee, Kwak Do-won (“The Wailing”) and Lee Sung-min (“Drug King”) are playing a former KCIA director and the President, respectively.

Currently in post-production, the film is set for a January 2020 release in its home country. Given the high level of interest in the topic, as well as the actor-director package, it is already expected to be one of the highest grossing films in Korea next year.

The Korean box office is already boiling. The Korean Film Council this week forecast that admissions will hit an all time record in 2019. By the end of November 204 million tickets had been sold, and a further 20 million are expected to be sold in December. The current record stands at 219.9 million, set in 2017.

International posters revealed

THE MAN STANDING NEXT: 'Why he pulled the trigger?' 

poster_2.jpg

poster_3.jpg

• Like 3

screenar.jpg

December 6, 2019

ASHFALL Trailer Blows Up Korea

by Peter Martin ScreenAnarchy

You say "ridiculous," I say "awesome," let's call the whole thing Ashfall.

Heading to theaters in Asia beginning on December 19 -- hitting Hong Kong on January 1, 2020 -- from CJ Entertainment, Ashfall looks to be a big-spectacle type of thing. The synopsis reads: "Stagnant since 1903, at an elevation of 9000', a volcano erupts on the mythical and majestic Baekdu Mountain. ... located on the Chinese-North Korean border. Armed with the threat of imminent eruptions, a team of uniquely trained professionals from South and North Korea unite.

Together, they must join forces and attempt to prevent a catastrophic disaster threatening the Korean Peninsula."

Lee Byung-Hun, Ha Jung-woo, Jeon Hye-jin, Ma Dong-seok, and Suzy Bae star; Kim Byung-seo and Lee Hae-jun wrote and directed. This is truly a film that I need to see to believe.

• Like 3

December 7, 2019

Watch: Lee Byung Hun, Ha Jung Woo, Suzy, And More Face Disaster In “Ashfall” Film Trailer

Source: Soompi by J. K

Watch: Lee Byung Hun, Ha Jung Woo, Suzy, And More Face Disaster In “Ashfall” Film Trailer

The much-anticipated film “Ashfall” (also known as “Baekdusan”) has released a thrilling first trailer!

The action movie follows what happens after a volcano on Mount Baekdu erupts, leading to pandemonium over fear of a final eruption that could wipe out both North and South Korea. A team of people set out to stop the terrible disaster from happening.

“Ashfall” stars Lee Byung Hun as a North Korean army officer, Ha Jung Woo as the captain of South Korea’s Explosive Ordinance Disposal team, Ma Dong Seok as a geology professor who’s studied the potential eruption of Mount Baekdu for years, Jeon Hye Jin as the person planning their operation, and Suzy as Ha Jung Woo’s wife who’s on the ground in the city during the chaos.

The trailer shows the extent of the destruction caused by earthquakes after the eruptions of Mount Baekdu, with news reports announcing that the latest eruption could be the biggest in recorded history.

Ha Jung Woo races his car over a mountain of the wreckage of the city, Ma Dong Seok tries to work despite the intense shaking caused by a quake, Jeon Hye Jin is shocked while taking shelter under a desk, and Suzy looks in fear from her car at a huge approaching wave. Ha Jung Woo then witnesses the collapse of an enormous building.

A team of soldiers including Ha Jung Woo goes to fetch Lee Byung Hun’s character Lee Joon Pyeong, who’s described as a very dangerous person, and the team is told not to let their guard down in front of him. They discover him in an underground jail cell, looking as though he’s been there for a very long time, with long hair and a long beard. “A bunch of babies are here,” he says. Ha Jung Woo whispers to another soldier, “He looks different than his photos.”

Now with a haircut and a shorter beard, Lee Byung Hun tells someone over the phone that very interesting guys came for him. He’s then in handcuffs as he and Ha Jung Woo hide from gunfire, and he surprises Ha Jung Woo when he says, “Give me a gun.” Once he’s got the gun, he skillfully takes out their enemies. “We make a surprisingly good team,” he then tells a shocked Ha Jung Woo.

In another scene, Lee Byung Hun asks, “Do you really believe that such an absurd plan will actually work?” Ma Dong Seok assures someone, “If it’s not too late, we can stop Mount Baekdu.”

Watch the intense trailer below!

“Ashfall” hits theaters in Korea on December 19.

• Like 3

Lee Byung Hun and Ha Jung Woo hide from gunfire, and he surprises Ha Jung Woo when he says, “Give me a gun.” Once he’s got the gun, he skillfully takes out their enemies. “We make a surprisingly good team,” he then tells a shocked Ha Jung Woo.

ashfall_t1.gif

rjp11.jpg

• Like 3

Source: 익스트림무비 @extmcommunity

Translated from Korean by Google
The total production cost for The Man Standing Next is more than 20 billion won (about 17 million USD?), making the break-even point = 5 million admission. https://buff.ly/2PkAaGG

Byunghun posted on his IG the international character posters for TMSN. Like all of us, he might have been caught surprised by it as well. Unexpected yet fantastic images.

BH caption: This is fun.

• Like 3

Published in December 10, 2019 by CJ Entertainment Official

12/16 (Mon) Let's Gather at Lotte World Tower! 
For Baekdusan Red Carpet Showcase

#Ashfall trailer with Malay, Chinese and English subs. Opens in Malaysia on January 2, 2020. 

• Like 3

@peonie Thanks Barbara for The Man Standing Next trailer, the promos are coming indeed. However, even though it was highlighted as the international trailer.. there was no English subs provided, which is just strange. :mellow: Luckily our @mistymorning have translated for us the clip at the movie thread. And here is the youtube clip of the trailer, also highlighted by ES.

Hopefully Showbox releases more captures and clips from TMSN and provide the necessary info as well.

Published on December 10, 2019 by Lee Min Sung

tmsn_t1.gif

tmsn_t2.gif

• Like 4

December 11, 2019

Lee Byung Hun attended the funeral wake of Daewoo founder who passed away on Monday.

Source: Edaily

ps191211.jpg

December 11, 2019 

Lee Byung-hun's Adoptive Father Dies

By William Schwartz on HanCinema.net 

On December 9th Kim Woo-choong died at the age of eighty two years old. The former chairman of the Daewoo Group had been a major influence on South Korea economically, particular through the IMF Crisis.

Many lawmakers have been present for his funeral arrangements, and President Moon Jae-in himself has also sent condolence wreaths. But one unexpected mourner has been Lee Byung-hun, the adoptive son of the late chairman.

For the most part Lee Byung-hun has distanced himself from the funeral proceedings. His agency has called the matter a private one when asked for commentary. However, much of Lee Byung-hun's life has felt important influence from Chairman Kim. At the earlier portions of Lee Byung-hun's career, Chairman Kim expressed an interest in the young actor. This stemmed largely from Lee Byung-hun's similarity to two late sons of his who had died in car accidents.

Chairman Kim's wife purportedly started sending Lee Byung-hun food to eat when he was off on long location shoots. The relationship progressed to the point that Lee Byung-hun regarded Chairman Kim and his wife as adoptive parents. In 2015 Lee Byung-hun was caught up in a scandal wherein two aspiring actresses attempted to blackmail him over lewd statements made at a club. Lee Byung-hun ended up seeking the older man's counsel, and was instructed to treat his wife better.

Written by William Schwartz

• Like 2

December 12, 2019

Lee Byung Hun at the "The Man Standing Next" Production Report press conference today

Actor Lee Byung Bun  attended the production report press conference of " The Man Standing next" today CGV, in Singu-dong, Seoul.  

Lee Byung Hun,  Kwok Do Won ,  Lee Hee Jun and Director Woo Min Ho  were there.   "The Man Standing Next"  was a film about 40 days before the assassination of the President of South Korea in 1979.  It is scheduled to be released in January.

• Like 3

December 12, 2019 

Actor Lee Byung-hun confident with his new film 'The Man Standing Next'

By Kim Boram

SEOUL, Dec. 12 (Yonhap) -- Star actor Lee Byung-hun said Thursday that his forthcoming movie "The Man Standing Next" is a stylish film noir about a political dynamite in 1979 that changed the South Korean modern history.

Directed by Woo Min-ho of the 2015 box-office smasher "Inside Men," "The Man" is the film adaptation of a best-selling non-fiction with the same title written by a newspaper reporter, exploring the behind-the-scenes power struggle among high-ranking officers of the national spy agency and the government of strongman President Park.

President Park is the name of the main character in the film modeled after President Park Chung-hee, who ruled the country for 18 years until his assassination in 1979 at the hands of his intelligence chief, Kim Jae-kyu.

The flick focuses on their emotions and intricate relationships during the 40 days before Oct. 26, 1979, the day of the presidential assassination.

"This film is based on the true story, and it is also a film noir that is sophisticatedly designed," Lee said at a press conference in Seoul. "It is about the real event and the characters that have really existed in our history. Audiences will put their feelings into the movie in a very fierce way."

Actor Lee Byung-hun speaks at a press conference on political movie "The Man Standing Next" in Seoul on Dec. 12, 2019. (Yonhap)

Actor Lee Byung-hun speaks at a press conference on political movie "The Man Standing Next" in Seoul on Dec. 12, 2019. (Yonhap)

Lee plays Kim Kyoo-pyeong, the incumbent chief of the Korea Central Intelligence Agency (KCIA) in 1979, who is known to be the second-in-command after President Park (Lee Sung-min).

As Park's reign of terror continues for almost two decades, Kim has to deal with Park Yong-gak (Kwak Do-won), a former director of the KCIA, who escapes to the United States in a bid to reveal the Park government's secretive operations.

Forty days later, Kim shoots President Park to death and the political landscape tumbles as Park's almost decadeslong dictatorship ends all of a sudden.

The veteran actor who has experienced tens of characters throughout his almost 30-year acting career said it was difficult to portray a historic figure whose records still exist.

"It's kind of emotional distress. I have to be very careful and cautious about everything related to the real event and real people," Lee said. "During the filming, all actors and film crew were concerned about possible historical distortions."

But he emphasized that "The Man" does not focus solely on the political event itself but more on emotional and mental status, and complex, tortuous behind-the-scenes relationships in a short period of time.

"This movie depicts emotions and relationships among those who are deeply related to the historical event, that we cannot find in text," he said. "Other actors and I had to study and read many books, interviews and other materials before and during the filming."

So the eclectic actor tried to refrain from offering emotional ad-libs or jokes but paid more attention to the screenplay.

"I had to stick entirely to the scenario and act as it instructs," he said. "I thought if I call up emotions that is not presented in the scenario, it can be another distortion."

"The Man," set to open in January, is Lee's second film released this winter. The blockbuster disaster movie "Ashfall," starring Lee and Ha Jung-woo, will hit local screens on Dec. 19.

"I'm happy to show two pieces of different genres and tones at the same time," he said. "But I regret that one character may be forgotten too soon. But I'm trying to accept it as positively as I can."

brk@yna.co.kr

• Like 3

Full video: Lee Byung Hun x Kwak Do-won x Lee Hee-jun x 'The Man Standing Next' Production Report 

December 12, 2019

‘The Man Standing Next’ a film about final weeks leading to dictator’s death

By Yoon Min-sik The Korea Herald

Former President Park Chung-hee, a man who ruled over South Korea with an iron fist for 18 years, is a highly divisive figure in the country’s history. So is his right-hand man and eventual assassin, Kim Jae-gyu.

The upcoming film “The Man Standing Next,” starring Lee Byung-hun and directed by Woo Min-ho, offers what its creators say is a faithful depiction of the 40 days leading up to the president’s death. “I was pumped up after reading the script and felt that it was a well-polished film noir, even though it is based on a true story,” said Lee during a press conference about the film in Seoul.

Lee plays Kim Gyu-pyeong, the fictional lead character based on Kim Jae-gyu.

Based on a nonfiction book of the same name, the original Korean title literally translates into “Directors of Namsan,” referring to the directors of the now-defunct Korean Central Intelligence Agency. 

Source: Yuntae Kim

Veteran actor Lee Sung-min plays the character inspired by Park Chung-hee, called only “President Park.”

Despite the different names, the film is about the true story of Kim Jae-gyu -- the chief of the spy agency at the time of the assassination -- and his predecessor Kim Hyong-uk, who in this picture is named Park Yong-gak. It is Park Yong-gak who sets the events in motion by traveling to the US after losing power and testifying before the US Congress, dishing up dirt on the administration.

“When I read the book 20 years ago, it was so shocking that I read it in one sitting. Eighteen years of modern Korean history that I didn’t really know about unraveled before me, and I vowed to one day make a movie about it,” said director Woo.

He said the timing of Park’s revelations to the US politicians was the only major change made in the cinematic adaptation -- the actual event took place two years before the assassination, not 40 days. “The content of the original was so vast, so I decided to depict the 40 crucial days. Why the incident (the assassination) happened is what interested me the most,” he said.

Playing opposite Lee is Kwak as Park Yong-gak, the president’s onetime confidant, who turns on him after being ousted from the administration.

“Usually when acting, it is possible to anticipate the other (actor’s) movement. With Kwak, that was impossible. It was as if he were completely throwing himself into the situation,” Lee said of his co-star.

Another person who went all in was Lee Hee-jun, playing the head of the president’s security team, a character inspired by Park’s loyal bodyguard Cha Ji-chul. The usually slender actor put on 25 kilograms to depict the famously heavy Cha.

Kwak and the rest of the cast said they made efforts to be faithful to what actually happened, so as to not distort history.

“I kept thinking that there is not enough material (on real-life people). I kept pondering (over the character) as to how I should depict him, up until the very last shooting,” said Kwak.

“We had to act in a way that was close to reality,” Lee said. “I think playing a real person based on a real-life event can help the audience connect more with the film. In that sense, I think it will be a very powerful film.”

“The Man Standing Next” opens in local theaters in January. 

By Yoon Min-sik (minsikyoon@heraldcorp.com)

Photos compiled by コっ子 @ByungBlue

• Like 3