Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

BH's new event. From his instagram 

Lotte Cultureworks is having an event called "Star Chair", a series of fundraising events for inviting actors/actresses for their favorite movies. All sales will go to local walfare group, and in addition to that, one chair in the theater will get a special cover and sales on that chair will be donated for 1 year.

BH's been invited for 1st event, with his life time favorite movie "Cinema Paradiso"(1998, director Giuseppe Tornatore). This event will be held on Feb. 10th(Sun), 10 AM(GV after movie), in Lotte Cinema Sungnam Central(Shinheung station) -I guess the threater is picked because BH grew up there. there's tag under the location, saying "Sungnam, where actor Lee Byung-Hun grew with dream" -. Seems that he will have a talk with audience after the movie. 

Ticketing will start on Feb-1st Friday 11 AM(Korean Local Time). It seems to be very nice event and great cause to join in with BH. :)

• Like 6

I hope LBH is doing fine. A lot of you suggested LBH movies for me to watch. I should watch those. I'm also thinking of watching Inside Men! I'll watch anything with LBH. I know it will be good. I say, "He's an amazing actor." and I say, "I know he's going to be an amazing male lead." I'm going to backread.

@rubie Hi. I'm sorry. I will reply you here in LBH thread too. But you still didn't answer my question in GY thread. Why? Are you upset with me? :( 

LBH( I saw the Devil)

Related image

Related image

Related image

(credit of all gifs go to owners. not mine!)

• Like 5

GOSH! 

I forgot. Recommend me some LBH movies again? Please?

Me:

Image result for eugene choi gifs tumblr

"I feel so dumb!!!" I know Mr. Sunshine has it's own thread. I wanted to post this! This is me right now!!!

(credit to owner. gif not mine)

@luwali 196 Thanks for reacting to my posts :) You made me feel special. Please if you recommend any LBH movies/dramas please tell me!!!!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 2handsintertwined said:

GOSH! 

I forgot. Recommend me some LBH movies again? Please?

Me:

"I feel so dumb!!!" I know Mr. Sunshine has it's own thread. I wanted to post this! This is me right now!!!

(credit to owner. gif not mine)

@luwali 196 Thanks for reacting to my posts :) You made me feel special. Please if you recommend any LBH movies/dramas please tell me!!!!

A Bittersweet Life, JSA, The Good, The Bad and The Weird, keys to the heart, single rider, Master, Inside Men, Masquerade etc

13 hours ago, mistymorning said:

BH's new event. From his instagram 

Ticketing will start on Feb-1st Friday 11 AM(Korean Local Time). It seems to be very nice event and great cause to join in with BH. :)

Wow, get to see LBH real close, are you going Misty?

• Like 6

@peonie, thanks so much for the cool 'Keep Calm and Love BH' tumbler. I've seen this quite a few times but after the update about the fan-merchandise (pouch & metal LBH sticker), finally realized that the water bottle is another order to made fan-item, LOL.. rubie is such a clueless blurrpanda. bricks.gif

@mistymorning, thanks so much for the highlight and info of Byunghun's latest IG update.. finally a new event in this new year. Thanks so much also to Barbara for BH's movie recommendation. He really likes to watch a lot of movies and this time he's able to directly recommend his own personal favorites to fans. Back to 'Star Chair', sounds like a really wonderful well-meant event indeed. Glad to know that LBH will be the first star to start off the fundraising event. It'll be a great treat for Korean movie fans to meet and participate in the event with BH. 

I remember reading some comments at BH's IG that some fans wanted the latest and new updates/photos posted.. particularly when he's been posting throwback pics all these while. Personally, I like & don't mind the throwback (filming) pics because BH doesn't post the usual stuff that everyone had seen. But it's understandable that we also wanted to know the latest about him. However, he is filming and clearly he won't be able to share any spoilers unless when it's the promo time. So, the 'Star Chair' event is really the latest update that he's sharing online (apart from the support coffee truck pics from friends & fans) and have to say that we are so lucky because this is the best interaction we could have with the actor. Over the years, he had tried to.. make contact with fans.. via short-term movie blogs, (official) fan-website, agency website, twitter, facebook but neither worked nor lasted for long. Finally, in this IG-era, he's finally getting the best answer for fans and he's loving it so much.:lol:

By, thanks to mistymorning, Mount Baekdu has some new info that the filming will start this month. The cast had met for a Gosa ceremony on the 28th. Finally, it means that Chiefs of Namsan is now in post-production and Mount Baekdu will start filming. Phew.. finally. :P

@2handsintertwined hey.. I'm not upset with you. th_no2.gif Please don't think that way, ok. It's not that I don't want to reply at Gong Yoo thread but truly I don't have much to share about GY and I really wanted to avoid writing an 'off-topic' there. Believe me, this rubie can be really off-topic but it's usually at LBH thread which I'm more at ease. But with the new soompi 'reaction buttons'.. we can see the Admins have added a few more 'reaction button'.. and an 'off-topic' button (this one >>> :vicx:) can get our points deducted. Not that the points will translate into money or prizes but.. you know.. we may say we're not concerned by it but deep down, it won't feel so good. th_dontcare.gifJust like if we have our posts edited by the Mods.. for quoting images or posting too many captures without using spoiler tags or posting continuously. I personally do not like my posts being edited by others but I understand the rules are the rules. So, I will try not to get my posts edited but it's hard sometimes particularly when we wanted to post but no one else is doing it, like at the drama/movie threads. However, just found out that we can post continuously if it's more than an hour after the last post we made.. just not within 1 hour, those posts will be merged. I feel that is a  really sensible consideration by the Admins, thank you.

As for LBH movie recommendations.. depends on what genre you really like as it's too many to choose from. We have a list of his filmography at the first post on the first page of this thread to refer.  th_zz_searchdoc.gif

It's a long list but for a quick fan list, some good movies he did after I Saw The Devil.

Sageuk (historical) : Masquerade (2012)

Action (Hollywood) : RED 2 (2013)

Thriller (political) : Inside Men (2016)

Melodrama (thriller) : A Single Rider (2017)

Comedy (family, drama) : Keys to the Heart (2018)

So, please check them out and always share with us your thoughts later. th_pwettybunny.gif

Photo edit by 돌체 @_do1ce

DyPrsGWVsAA8hrb.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks to @mistymorning for the highlight and sharing by @31_conachiyo_31 on twitter (credits to owner as stated by watermark), pics of Byunghun & JoonHoo believed to be during their trip to Da Nang, Vietnam in 2017. At first we thought these might be new captures after BH had finished the filming of Chiefs of Namsan, without MJ as she is still filming her drama but the family always travel together. During the Da Nang trip, MJ has a magazine photoshoot at the resort which likely left BH, JH and halmoni by themselves for awhile. Byunghun-appa doing well taking care of his precious little sunshine.:wub:

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

v4.jpg

v10.jpg

Spoiler

v12.jpg

Spoiler

v6.jpg

Spoiler

v7.jpg

Spoiler

v9.jpg

Spoiler

v11.jpg

Spoiler

Previously posted photos of BHMJ & JH sighted in VIetnam (hereth_character019.gif

• Like 6

7 hours ago, kansas424 said:

Wow, get to see LBH real close, are you going Misty?

Argh.. I wish. I do check plane ticket now and then.. but no not this time :'( 

@rubie! Thank you for posting those photos and link it to date! I love his Instagram posts, to me, it's a nice mix of recent and old photos and news. And he's interacting(sort of) with his fans, which is great change comparing old days. I think he said he didn't want to appear too much on talk show because an actor needs to be able to become a character to audience and his private self being known too much would hinder that, which theory I could agree, basically. But being as a shallow fan as I am, I am glad to see snapshot of his life and happy he's doing just that! And knowing he is a silly person who loves to joke doesn't hinder this fan from enjoying his serious works, not at all. So Byunghun oppa, post long and post often!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

February 2, 2019

We are so fortunate that Byung Hun-ssi has decided to communicate with his fans using Instagram.  He can reach so many fans using this communication medium.   I am so happy that he is sharing photos that we have not seen before.  Byung Hun-ssi is very much a people person as evidenced by his interactions with his fans at award ceremonies, promotion of movies, and fan meetings.  I am so blessed to have met him in New York, Hong Kong, Osaka and Seoul and would fly to attend the Star Chair event if I could!

One of the best decisions he made was to participate as Eugene in “Mr. Sunshine”.   The numbers of television audience far exceed those of movie audiences.  Not all BH’s movies are shown in many countries.

We can at least look forward to two Korean movies and G. I Joe 3 if the project proceeds.  

• Like 6

Thanks for the updates everyone! I really hope LBH does GI Joe 3! I loved his American accent in Mr. Sunshine! I miss LBH in dramas!  I miss Mr. Sunshine!  @peonie @kansas424 @mistymorning

@rubie I'm going to cut your post. I'll only reply to some things. Is that ok? I'm glad you're not upset with me :) I forgot mods added new reactions. I don't want you to get in trouble :(. I'm sorry your posts are edited. But it looks like you are trying to fix that! So you feel more comfortable here in LBH thread. That's fine!

Off-topic:

I don't have any friends in GY thread :). So I thought you would be my friend there! I'm so stupid. I can't force you there. So I'm glad you are comfortable here in LBH thread :). And you have nothing to share there! I try to share there but they ignore me. Hahaha. I think I would like "off-topic" rubie :).

TO ALL LBH FAN: I'm sorry that was off-topic. You can use the off-topic button on me :D.

Ok! So thanks for the LBH list. I'm watching Masquerade! I like the plot and I love Saeguk A king thinks he's being poisoned! LBH replaces him!  I will share my opinions! I'm not good at sharing opinions!

• Like 3

LBH-related excerpt only, full compilation at link stated ~

February 1, 2019

Actors Who Boggled Our Minds With Their Dual Roles

Source: Soompi by L. Kim

It’s hard enough playing one character in a drama/movie, let alone two.

However, there are some actors who portrayed two characters so perfectly that their characters seemed like two different people.

Here are a few actors who did full justice to their double roles:

1. Yeo Jin Goo

2. Jun Ji Hyun

3. Joo Ji Hoon

4. Kim So Hyun

5. Lee Byung Hun

Lee-Byung-Hun1.jpg

Currently remade as “The Crowned Clown,” the film “Gwanghae” garnered attention with Lee Byung Hun playing two completely opposite roles. The actor was able to impress the viewers with his acting as both the crazy king and comical clown.

6. Park Bo Young

7. Jo Jung Suk

8. Yoon Shi Yoon

9. Uhm Ki Joon

10. Jang Geun Suk

Source (1)

Related LBH-movie excerpt only, full interview at KOFIC or Masquerade thread

January 28, 2019 

Interview: CHO Tae-hee, Movie Makeup Artist
“One day, I would like to open a museum on movie makeup”

by SONG Soon-jin KOFIC

okzrxvPTEBWoEgBKCWRg.jpg

The film technicians who contribute to increase the production value of movies, whether it is in locations or production design, music or sound effects, constitute valuable assets to a national film industry. CHO Tae-hee, who has just opened an exhibition that presents his work in some of Korea’s foremost period drama films (Masquerade, 2012; The Fatal Encounter, 2014; The Throne, 2015; Anarchist from the Colony, 2017; The Fortress, 2017; Monstrum, 2018), stands as one of the most important of such assets. The exhibition “Facial Creation in Movies”, which bears the subtitle “Makeup Artist CHO Tae-hee – An Extensive archive of makeup in Korean film”, has been welcoming visitors in the Ara Art Center (www.araart.co.kr) in Jongno District, Seoul from December 29, 2018, and will continue to do so until April 23. The displays are filled with information that are sure to foster interest in the enigmatic world of movie makeup, but also in Korean period drama films to a larger extent.

The exhibition is centered on Masquerade, The Fatal Encounter, The Throne, The Fortress and The Great Battle (2018). Are we to assume that these are your major titles?
They are all titles I’m attached to. After Masquerade, many people in the industry started looking for me. For that reason, this film is very important to me. The Fatal Encounter is one of the opportunities I was offered thanks to Masquerade was. It was the film with which HYUN Bin made his comeback after he was discharged from military service, so the stakes were high for both of us. I have a lot of memories of that period and the deep affection we shared. I still have regular contact with some actors, like LEE Byung-hun, HYUN Bin, SONG Kang-ho, ZO In-sung, PARK Hae-il, since they all made their first period drama with me. In that regard, too, all these films mean a lot to me.

Source: movieface_korea

Newspaper articles on the 'Screen Drawing Make-up' exhibition (The Korea Times, The Hankyoreh, MBN Star interview)

Spoiler

• Like 5

9 hours ago, 2handsintertwined said:

@rubie Thanks for the info. But no thoughts on what I said? :( You don't tell me how you feel about my posts on the thread. Are you ashamed of me? You only gave me a reaction. I sent you a PM you didn't reply. Do you want to talk in PM? Are you more comfortable there?

I know you've been waiting awhile.. but you have to wait a bit. 2097.gif  I've read the message and will have some stuff to post. 10 years ago, I would response faster and could reply a lot on the spot but these days I am a bit slow .. in everything. :sweatingbullets: The reaction is to show that I've read the post first. No worries..

It's probably late at where you are now .. while here is still daylight (Saturday afternoon). Do rest and please don't be stressed waiting. Watch Masquerade & Inside Men if you can and we could talk about the movies later.

For this Lunar New Year holidays, tvN is airing KEYS TO THE HEART on Sunday 2/3. A LBH treat on the small screen kaoani_whiteball_01.gif

• Like 5

February 1, 2019

Celebrating Burning | 10 Great South Korean Thrillers

By Andrew Carroll  HeadStuff

We here at Headstuff loved new release Burning, a strange blend of social drama and Hitchcockian mystery. In fact, it could be an early contender for best film of 2019. That said, it is only the latest entry in a series of stellar South Korean thrillers. With their enhanced grittiness, more morally ambiguous characters and a willingness to push boundaries, they leave American counterparts in the dust.

To mark Burning’s release, Headstuff editors Andrew Carroll and Stephen Porzio have outlined the South Korean movies cinephiles need to see. Read below to see what made the list.

Shiri (1999) – Dir Kang Je-gyu

Spoiler

A great entry point for Western audiences, Shiri was South Korea’s first attempt at crafting a blockbuster to rival Hollywood and other Asian cinema following an economic boom in the country. It centres on a South Korean agent on the trail of an elusive North Korean female assassin who has resurfaced and is seeking to get her hands on a new experimental bomb capable of destroying cities.

Fans of John Woo will get a kick out of Shiri’s hyper-kinetic action and spy intrigue. However, its the exciting twists, moments of dark comedy and exploration of paranoia surrounding reunification with North Korea which feel distinct to the country. Also, watch out for great supporting turns from future leading men Song Kang-ho (Memories of Murder, The Host and Thirst) and Choi Min-Sik (I Saw the Devil, Oldboy), the latter akin to a South Korean Gary Oldman. Stephen Porzio

Memories of Murder (2003) – Dir Bong Joon-ho

Spoiler

Far more original and distinct than Shiri is Memories of Murder, based on the true story of Korea’s first serial murders in history. Set over 17 years, it follows an older less formal local cop, Parl (Kang-ho), and a young idealistic officer, Seo (Kim Sang-kyung), from Seoul as they attempt to find a killer who targets his victims when it rains.

While the rural setting looks gorgeous and Joon-ho stages not only some thrilling action but terrifying scenes of the killer stalking his victims – often hiding above them in trees – what stands out about Memories of Murder is its story. The viewer really gets a sense of the effect these killings have on the local community. It’s as if the violence has upset the natural order, with both the locals and police’s fear and interest in the case leading to more chaos.

Without sanding off any rough edges, Memories of Murder is also a very moral film, criticising the desperate police’s torturing of suspects for information. Each act of violence comes back to bite the cops in some way as the movie progresses. Meanwhile, its heartbreaking to watch the youthful confidence of Seo disintegrate, growing wearier until he finally snaps in the climactic scene.

Fans of David Fincher’s Zodiac should watch this great video essay comparing it to Memories of Murder. Stephen Porzio

The Host (2006) – Dir Bong Joon-ho

Spoiler

No, not the Saoirse Ronan film. Yes, the film about the mutant fish monster that attacks Seoul. By the end of its run in 2006 The Host was the most successful South Korean movie ever made up to that point.

Coming off of Memories of Murder, Bong Joon-ho has had a run of success making films about the country’s and the world’s downtrodden with Snowpiercer (2013) and Okja (2017). Yet, The Host is his most personal and probably best work. Ostensibly a creature-feature horror film, it’s surprisingly tender and a lot funnier than it should be.

In 2000, American army doctors pour gone-off formaldehyde down a drain. In 2006, a mutated fish emerges from a river and swallows Park Gang-du’s (Kang-ho again) daughter (Go Ah-sung). What follows is a comedy of errors rescue mission by the bumbling Park, his nagging father, overachieving sister and alcoholic brother.

The Host has a lot to say about America’s effect on South Korea but it also indicts uncaring politicians and inept protesters. Plus, the flopping, ungainly creature is a sight to behold and ranks as one of the most original monsters in the modern cinematic landscape. Andrew Carroll

Thirst (2009) – Dir Park Chan-wook

Spoiler

Vampires don’t have much of a reputation anymore. You can probably thank Twilight for that but if Thirst doesn’t put some respect back on the vampire name I don’t know what will.

Dedicated but doubtful Catholic priest Sang-hyun (Kang-ho yet again!) takes part in an experimental medical trial to find a cure for a deadly virus. After receiving a blood transfusion he finds himself cured and in possession of extraordinary powers and a thirst for blood. Not only that but he’s also attracted to his childhood friend’s wife. Nothing’s ever simple especially as Sang-hyun’s condition worsens.

Thirst might be a horror film but it’s also a film about forbidden, illegal love. It’s a love triangle story much like but also very different from Burning. Directed by Korean master Park Chan-wook – who by this point had already made his much loved Vengeance trilogy [Sympathy For Mr Vengeance (2002), Oldboy (2003), Lady Vengeance (2005)] – the film is noticeably different from his earlier work. It’s an oddity that despite all the bloodletting is quite a sweet film that slowly curdles into sourness.

Relationships are difficult especially when you’re a member of the living dead and Chan-wook makes sure to examine this from every angle. A domestic spat, for instance, turns dramatic as the bickering couple clear rooftops in a single bound. Vampire movies may be well and truly staked but you can always resurrect Thirst if you need a reminder of how good they once were. Andrew Carroll

The Man From Nowhere (2010) – Dir Lee Jeong-beom

Spoiler

South Korean movies, especially genre movies as this list shows, are often brutal affairs. Maybe it’s their unpredictable northern neighbour. Maybe it’s centuries of upheaval and foreign invasion. Whatever it is it’s leant itself to one of the most brutal, harrowing and uncompromising national cinemas in the world. The Man From Nowhere is no exception with its tale of former government assassin Cha Tae-sik (Won Bin) and his race to rescue his young neighbour So-Mi (Kim Sae-ron) from Korean-Vietnamese organ harvesters.

Won Bin is the most selective Korean actor working right now with only five films throughout his entire career. The Man From Nowhere was his most recent and that came out in 2010. Still the film’s physically demanding and fatally efficient action alongside its viciously nihilistic story would encourage anyone to take a break from acting. The final fight scene sees Tae-sik knife fight seven goons. Mostly shot in closeups, it is both a bloody grudge match and a lesson in major blood vessel placement. I would say that South Korean revenge movies don’t get more disturbing than this but that’s just not true. Andrew Carroll

I Saw the Devil (2010) – Dir Kim Jee-woon
Speaking of disturbing and bloody, this action horror thriller may be the most disturbing and bloody movie ever! When a serial killer (Choi Min-sik – playing the character like he is pure id) brutally murders the pregnant wife of an National Intelligence Service Agent (Lee Byung-hun, G.I. Joe), the latter goes rogue to track him down.

However, it doesn’t stop there. Wanting him to suffer as his wife did, he beats the murderer half to death and implants within him a tracker before setting him free. The goal: so that any time the killer thinks he is safe, the agent will be on call again to give his bones a fresh break. Needless to say, all does not go according to plan.

One could laud tons of praise on the direction which manages to casually chuck into the film insane action set pieces on top of its already gripping cat and mouse thriller – beats which would be the centrepiece of your typical Hollywood movie. The result: a film which feels like Seven meets John Wick.

However, that’s not what I Saw the Devil is truly about. Like Memories of Murder, it’s character and idea driven. People throw around phrases like ‘violence begets violence’ or the Nietzsche quote: “He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby becomes a monster.” When I hear them, the first thing that springs to mind is I Saw the Devil. Stephen Porzio

Train to Busan (2016) – Dir Yeon Sang-ho

Spoiler

Reinvention seems to come so easily to South Korean cinema. Whether it’s vampires in Thirst, a two-and-a-half hour slow boiler like Burning or zombies in Train to Busan, the country seems to know just how to tweak the formula. Train to Busan is not especially violent or gory nor does it generate any new characters out of the stock of pre-existing zombie movie sketches. Instead it mobilises pre-existing tropes for the whole film.

After a zombie outbreak in Seoul banker Seok-woo (Gong Yoo) and his young daughter board a train to Busan. Unbeknownst to them and their fellow archetypes, I mean passengers, an infected girl is also on board. Much like the speeding bullet it’s set on the movie never slows down. Yet, even at moments such as the station attack or train switches director Yeon Sang-ho keeps things human. Characters instantly become favourites through their actions. Working class everyman Sang-hwa (Ma Dong-seok) bulldozes through zombies. Brave highschool lovers fight it out to the end. Seok-woo might be an richard simmons in the world of finance but when his daughter’s in danger he’s a different man.

Train to Busan is one of this decade’s best zombie movies even if that phrase means very little these days. Andrew Carroll

The Handmaiden (2016) – Dir Park Chan-wook

Spoiler

Queer romance doesn’t come more complex than this. Inspired by the British novel Fingersmith. Park Chan-wook adapts a tale of con artistry turned into female rebellion powered by layered, defiant performances from its two leads. A conman under the moniker Count Fujiwara (Ha Jung-woo) hires pickpocket Sook-hee (Kim Tae-ri) as a maid for the Japanese heiress Lady Hideko (Kim Min-hee). Hoping that Sook-hee will convince Hideko to marry him things instead begin to turn against the Count as the two women fall for each other and the Lady’s perverted Uncle Kouzuki (Cho Jin-woong) enters the fray.

Complex as the plot is, The Handmaiden never strays far from its core conceit which is – like Chan-wook’s previous movie Thirst – the trials and tribulations of forbidden love. No matter how many pornographic tales Lady Hideko is forced to read to her uncle nor how desperately the Count tries to insinuate himself in between Sook-hee and Hideko, The Handmaiden always comes back to its two leads. It’s in their long looks and stolen glances as well as the over-the-top love scenes the film makes its mark.

The Handmaiden is Romeo and Juliet only Romeo’s a conniving thief and Juliet is an impassive vixen that crushes men in her white gloved hands.

The Wailing (2016) – Dir Na Hong-jin

Spoiler

Na Hong-jin is one of the most promising figures in South Korean cinema, having broken onto the scene with 2008’s The Chaser, centring on an ex-detective turned pimp whose forced to go back to his old ways when his girls begin to go missing. He followed this up in 2010 with The Yellow Sea, a grander more uneven tale of gangsters and immigrants, with flashes of utter brilliance.

However, The Wailing is his best work to date, a thrilling over two and a half hour genre mash up which really puts into perspective how bad Cowboys vs Aliens and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies truly are. Set in a little village in the mountains of South Korea – resembling True Detective’s depiction of Louisiana – a series of random gruesome murders take place. The only element common to the crimes is that the killers all share a strange rash. Could the murders be linked to the Japanese stranger who has newly arrived in the village?

Beginning as a crime thriller before adding zombies, demonic possessions and more into the mix, The Wailing strength comes from how mysterious it is. While many American mash-ups literally spoil the twist in their title, one never gets a sense of where Hong-jin’s thriller is going. It continually dishes out rich symbolism and intriguing details – never spelling out anything clearly for audiences. It helps too the whole film is seen through the eyes of an ordinary joe police officer, adding an off-kilter mundanity to proceedings – leading everything to feel even more visceral. Stephen Porzio

The Villainess (2017) – Dir Jeong Byeong-Gil

Spoiler

I was a little harsh when I reviewed The Villainess for HeadStuff back in 2017. But with hindsight and a greater appreciation for Korean cinema I see it’s value. Essentially The Man From Nowhere with a female lead and a healthy dose of melodrama, it follows Sook-hee (Kim Ok-bin), a former assassin turned South Korean intelligence agent trying to protect her child and fellow agent lover Jung Hyun-soo (Sung Joon) from the truth. Although The Villainess isn’t cut from the taboo breaking mould of Park Chan-wook or Bong Joon-ho it’s influence is still felt worldwide.

The thriller is not as cleanly shot as it could be which works to both its advantage and disadvantage. The action scenes from the opening first person POV assault to the bus set climax are exhilarating. It feels like a found footage action movie just not like Hardcore Henry thankfully.

The romantic interlude between Sook-hee and Hyun-soo adds a bit of levity and a lot of pathos as the thriller barrels towards its end game. Without The Villainess we wouldn’t have the shot in the John Wick 3 trailer that seems to hint at a sword fight on motorbikes. Not many people in the West may have seen The Villainess but those that did took notice. Andrew Carroll

• Like 4

7 hours ago, rubie said:

I know you've been waiting awhile.. but you have to wait a bit. 2097.gif  I've read the message and will have some stuff to post. 10 years ago, I would response faster and could reply a lot on the spot but these days I am a bit slow .. in everything. :sweatingbullets: The reaction is to show that I've read the post first. No worries..

It's probably late at where you are now .. while here is still daylight (Saturday afternoon). Do rest and please don't be stressed waiting. Watch Masquerade & Inside Men if you can and we could talk about the movies later.

For the upcoming Lunar New Year holidays, tvN is airing KEYS TO THE HEART on Sunday 2/3. A LBH treat on the small screen kaoani_whiteball_01.gif

Ok :) 

My thoughts so far on Masquerade! 

Thoughts:

LBH acts different in this movie. He does not act like he did in I saw the devil. I think he looks perfect in Saeguk/Joseon times. I think he was born to act. I'm enjoying it. And I find his character mysterious. Why? I think LBH makes people interested in his characters. I think he makes people think that his character is mysterious. I think he always makes you feel like he is the character. I was just so excited and I had to share my thoughts real quick.

Me watching Masquerade and me excited for more LBH stuff:

tumblr_pcaljzCIip1vfjd4ko1_500.gif

On 2/1/2019 at 12:31 PM, peonie said:

We are so fortunate that Byung Hun-ssi has decided to communicate with his fans using Instagram.  He can reach so many fans using this communication medium.   I am so happy that he is sharing photos that we have not seen before.  Byung Hun-ssi is very much a people person as evidenced by his interactions with his fans at award ceremonies, promotion of movies, and fan meetings.  I am so blessed to have met him in New York, Hong Kong, Osaka and Seoul and would fly to attend the Star Chair event if I could!

Can I share my thoughts on this? I saw your post and I liked it. You don't have to reply me if you don't want to. I think he is so kind. I think communicating with fans is important. Why? I think it make his fans feel connected to him. And I think it makes his fans feel like they aren't lonely. They supported him right? So I think it makes them happy that they supported him. And his fans don't feel ignored or useless. So he's a people person? Wow. You met LBH?????? Yes. You are very blessed. What did you think:???

On 2/1/2019 at 12:31 PM, peonie said:

One of the best decisions he made was to participate as Eugene in “Mr. Sunshine”.   The numbers of television audience far exceed those of movie audiences.  Not all BH’s movies are shown in many countries.

We can at least look forward to two Korean movies and G. I Joe 3 if the project proceeds.

So you think one of his best decisions was to participate as Eugene in Mr. Sunshine. It sounds like it did well! And I'm glad it far exceeded those in the movie audience. So not all of LBH's movies are shown in many countries. So I live in the U.S. right? It was on Netflix! It's a very popular streaming site! So I'm happy for him. I miss Eugene. I think he played Eugene with his heart. So we can look forward to two Korean movies and Gi Joe 3? I can't wait. So he's filming two Korean movies??? I hope he's not tired :(.

On 2/1/2019 at 7:27 AM, mistymorning said:

Argh.. I wish. I do check plane ticket now and then.. but no not this time :'( 

What does this mean? Do you live near LBH?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, 2handsintertwined said:

My thoughts so far on Masquerade! 

Thoughts:

LBH acts different in this movie. He does not act like he did in I saw the devil. I think he looks perfect in Saeguk/Joseon times. I think he was born to act. I'm enjoying it. And I find his character mysterious. Why? I think LBH makes people interested in his characters. I think he makes people think that his character is mysterious. I think he always makes you feel like he is the character. I was just so excited and I had to share my thoughts real quick.

Really good to read your thoughts on this movie th_rbhcool.gif.. he's definitely nothing like he was in ISTD. A super serious King vs a clumsy clown but BH nailed it in his first historical role. Despite his long list of dramas and movies, he's been 'avoiding' historical roles (he was offered period dramas earlier on but rejected the script) because he wasn't sure how he could be convincing as the character. His way of acting, he used to say that he had to experience what the character goes through to be able to portray the role. But in the end, he just couldn't say no to a good script so he took the dual role and it was the perfect decision. Masquerade received many positive response & critical acclaim, won numerous awards and finally LBH has his first 10-million club movie.

Needless to say that once BH had his first historical movie, he got hooked and went on to act in Memories of The Sword and The Fortress. While the responses for the latter movie were varied, it's obvious that he enjoys the experience and thrives on the challenges.

Keep on sharing thoughts like this, ok.. we may take awhile to response but we will try. ^_^

Found this GIF at the movie thread.. one of the first GIFs when I started to make some back then..so, it's rather raw, a beginner's first try. :sweatingbullets:

masq_7.gif

• Like 5

On 2/2/2019 at 1:31 AM, peonie said:

February 2, 2019

Agree, production quality and acting prowess of Mr.Sunshine were way ahead of its time. This drama will remain fascinating for few more decades to come !

• Like 4

February 2, 2019 (full description at the soompi link)

Celebrity Couples Who Have Age Gaps Of 12 Or More Years

Source: Soompi by L. Kim

Age is nothing but a number – at least to these celebrity couples who overcame their large age gap and found true love. An age gap of 12 years is significant in Korean culture because it means that the couple is a full zodiac cycle apart.

Here are some celebrity couples who have age gaps of 12 or more years:

Kim Jong Min & Hwang Mi Na

Ham So Won & Jin Hua

Ma Dong Seok & Ye Jung Hwa

Lee Min Jung & Lee Byung Hun

mjbh19_02.jpg

The two actors are 12 years apart. After one year of dating, they got married in 2013 and welcomed their first child in 2015. They amuse fans with their playful quarrels on social media.

Ha Hyun Woo & Heo Young Ji

Mina & Ryu Phillip

Moon Hee Jun & Soyul

Yang Hyun Suk & Lee Eun Joo

Bae Yong Joon & Park Soo Jin

Seo Taiji & Lee Eun Sung

Source (1)

• Like 3

On 2/1/2019 at 1:41 PM, rubie said:

As for LBH movie recommendations.. depends on what genre you really like as it's too many to choose from. We have a list of his filmography at the first post on the first page of this thread to refer.  th_zz_searchdoc.gif

It's a long list but for a quick fan list, some good movies he did after I Saw The Devil.

Sageuk (historical) : Masquerade (2012)

Action (Hollywood) : RED 2 (2013)

Thriller (political) : Inside Men (2016)

Melodrama (thriller) : A Single Rider (2017)

Comedy (family, drama) : Keys to the Heart (2018)

So, please check them out and always share with us your thoughts later. th_pwettybunny.gif

hello chingus :) 

freshly finished from watching Keys to the Heart :w00t: I laughed and cried a lot. :bawling: I missed BH doing understated film like this, transporting me back on sentimental old school style. A big applause for all the cast especially BH, Youn Yuh-jung & Park Jungmin who portrayed their characters with so much heart. Kudos to PD Choi Seong-hyeon who also penned this heartwarming story and musical director, Hwang Sang-jun. I enjoyed very much the gala concert, it was amply entertaining and was not treated sparingly. I learned that love overpowers pain and that Impossibility is not a fact but opinion only :wub:

I'll check out A Single Rider next to  complete the list above ;) 

• Like 7
  • Love 1