Ip Man 葉問

Guest jesslam77

Guest jesslam77

IPMan.jpg

A semi-biographical account of Yip Man, the first martial arts master to teach the Chinese martial art of Wing Chun.

一九三零年代, 中國武術之都的佛山, 武風頂盛, 各門各派為廣納門徒, 經常集體比鬥以顯實力. 葉問(甄子丹飾)習得一身武藝但為人低調, 故未有設館授徒, 只待在家中與友人閉門切磋, 鑽研武術.

以金山找(樊少皇飾)為首的北方武師, 為了在佛山揚名立萬, 遂狠狠挫下各派館主. 金山找為搏得佛山市民的認同, 決意挑戰不問世事的葉問, 且不惜一切逼葉問出手. 葉問在妻子張永成(熊黛林飾)的鼓勵下毅然出手, 以熟練的詠春拳大勝金山找. 經此一役, 佛山掀起了熾盛的詠春拳熱潮. 當年日本人攻佔佛山, 強搶當地財產, 欺壓百姓;日本將軍三蒲(池內博之飾)是一名武癡, 故以白米作獎賞, 邀請中國人到打鬥場與日軍切磋, 藉以觀摩中國武術. 三蒲帶兵捉拿葉問, 要求葉問向日軍傳授中國武術. 葉問不甘作漢奸, 且欲替中國人挽回尊嚴, 遂公然挑戰三蒲, 要以雙拳喚起中國人的團結心. 三蒲自視甚高, 為保名聲毅然應戰. 佐騰為保三蒲勝出竟暗設埋伏, 葉問未知已身陷危機, 以詠春拳力戰三蒲的空手道, 二人在擂臺上展開激烈生死決戰.

Guest hungrycollegeboy

I saw this movie just 2 days ago.

It was better than Jet Li's Fearless in my opinion and the fight scenes are just pure awesomeness!!

Guest ChocoMilkShake

The action scenes were fantastic. You get to see a very different Donnie Yen as Yip Man, a subtle and reserved man, unlike the roles he used to play ... but the fighting scenes are still kick richard simmons!

• 2 weeks later...

OMGOSH! I just saw this movie and it literally destroyed Jet Li's Fearless. The kung fu in this movie is effing insane and crazy. I can't believe this was the guy that taught Bruce Lee.

Read that they're planning to film a sequel and it's about him moving to Hong Kong or something after World War 2 and training 4 students, one of them being Bruce Lee.

Anyways, yeah this movie was really good and quite sad as well.

I just watched this yesterday, in Hong Kong. This is really not the type of movie I generally prefer, but it was AWESOME. Ip Man is a BAMF.

Guest fantasian

i just watched the movie today, and it was quite good. if you liked jet li's fearless you'll probably like this too and it's somewhat similar.

i read that there will be a sequel for when Yip Man goes to hong kong.. where he ends up training bruce lee.

also wong kar wai plans to make a movie on him too, but i guess would be focusing less on the action, but the drama and life of Ip man.

Guest gokuSSJ5

i just watch the movie today and it seem pretty good when Ip Man fought all 10 japanese fighter and all of them got OWNED by Ip Man!! lol

• 1 month later...

I hated Jet Li's Fearless and thought it was boring ... but this movie was simply awesome. Donnie Yen totally owned Jet Li imo. That's what happened when you go to Hollywood and start making crappy movies.

Speaking of which ... I wonder why they spell it as Ip Man and not Yip Man. I thought it was funny when one of my cousin was asking us if we wanted to watch I...P... Man ... and we were going like what I.P. Man ... thought it was some new Hollywood superhero type of movie instead of the movie with Donny Yen.

Guest creaturedreams

Watched this film last night, great fighting scenes especially the 1v10. In comparison with Fearless i too think it's better although both are fantastic films.

It's pretty similiar to Fearless.

I thought both movies were extraordinary!

The General Sanpo guy in it would have an amazing anime voice ^^

Guest ccho811

omggg bessst kungfu shizzzzzzzzzzzz ever ..right thuur..

Okay, I don't usually talk like that, but oh my gosh. I LOVED this movie.

Guest gthao

my bro keeps wantin to watch it..but it seems so far that alot of ppl like the movie better than or if not equal to fearless..but it's seems that everyone agrees that the fight scenes are good..i wanna watch it..i saw the clip 1v10..or watever it is.it was good..

Guest h2obubbli

agreed with yu lot, this movie was amazing to watch, Yip Man is my hero since i learnt wing chun for 2 years and to see a film of him phwoar....

When yu was watching him fight 10 of em it just makes yu wanna get up from yur seat and start punching lol. One of the best fighting scenes i've seen

• 4 weeks later...

Oh my gosh I can't believe this thread didn't even grow... I was on YESASIA and came accross this movie... I read the reviews and everything that was said was good to know... I've been a long time fan of Donnie Yen and so I just had to see this movie...

I youtube this movie and it was so good to the point that I just have to buy me a copy of it... Donnie Yen was awsome in this movie the kung fu martial art was fantastic... it just makes you wanting more and more...

This is so far one of Donnie Yen best kung fu movie ever... I have not seen any bomb kick #ss kung fu martial art movie in a very long time... They pick the right person to portray IP MAN... Donnie Yen sure did deliver the roll...

I give it a 5 out of 5

The late Grandmaster Ip Man

1893-1972

by Ron Heimberger

Ip Man went to Hong Kong at the age of 17 to attend High School at Saint Francis College. At the time the British, who ruled Hong Kong, were using Indian and Pakistani police officers in Hong Kong. The policemen were not very supportive of the Chinese people and were often quite cruel. One day, on the way to school, Ip Man and a classmate came across an Indian police officer who was beating a Chinese lady. Both kids told the officer that if this lady was a thief or if she had done something wrong then the policeman had every right to take her into custody. But even if she was a thief, he had no right to beat her. In actuality, she had done nothing wrong. The police officer was just being cruel. And the officer, realizing that Ip Man was just a kid, took a swing at Ip Man. Unfortunately for the police officer, Ip Man had four years of kung fu under his belt. Ip Man responded to the police officers attack with what appeared to his classmate to be a very simple move, but the police officer went down with blood all over his face. Ip Man and his classmate ran very quickly to school.

Ip Man's classmate told an older man who lived in the same building about what had happened that day. The old gentleman, who was also from Fatshan, asked the young man to show him what Ip Man had done. When he saw what the young man showed him, the old man asked Ip Man's classmate to ask Ip Man to come and see him.

The next day both Ip Man and his friend went to see the older gentleman. The older gentleman asked Ip Man what type of kung fu he had studied in Fatshan. Ip man replied that it was the best type of kung fu in the world and that if he told him the old man wouldn't understand. After a little cajoling, Ip Man relented and told the old man that he had studied a famous kung fu called Wing Chun. The older gentleman replied that he had heard of it and that there was a person named Chan Wa Sheun teaching there. The old gentleman asked Ip Man to show him the Siu Lim Tao form. After the demonstration the old man said, "eh, not too great." This did not make Ip Man very happy because he felt that he was doing the best kung fu in the world.

Then the old gentleman asked Ip Man to perform his Chum Kiu form. One must remember that at this time the respect between young people and older people was greater than it is now. Ip Man was obviously unhappy with the old gentleman’s request, but he complied anyway. During his demonstration, the old man kept shaking his head and saying, "not very good." This made Ip Man very, very unhappy. At this point the old man asked Ip Man to demonstrate the Biu Gee form. Not wanting the old man to know he didn’t know the Biu Gee form, Ip Man said, "I really don't feel like showing you the form." Then the old man asked if Ip Man would chi sau with him. Ip Man happily complied, thinking that he could finally teach the old man a lesson. Ip Man threw a punch. The old man simply blocked it and threw him to the side. Ip Man got up and attempted to heal his wounded pride with another punch. Once again the old man just blocked him and threw him aside. Ip Man got up and stormed out.

The next day Ip Man's friend told him that the old gentleman wanted to see him but Ip Man didn't want anything to do with him and told his friend no. The friend reported Ip Man's response to the old gentleman. The old gentleman told the teenage boy to let Ip Man know that he was Leung Bik. The next day in class Ip Man's friend told him the old gentleman was Leung Bik. Right there, before class was over, Ip Man jumped up and went straight to Leung Bik's home. Ip Man was so excited because Leung Bik was Ip Man's Si Pak (older uncle, the youngest son of his teacher's teacher, Leung Jan).

Leung Bik lived with Ip Man for five years and learned the entire system of Wing Chun. Through out his life, Ip Man referred to Leung Bik as Si Pak. Even though both of his kung fu teachers had the same kung fu, they both had different teaching styles. Chan Wa Shun was a relatively uneducated man whose metaphors and understanding were more grounded in the earth, in the common man's language. On the other hand, Leung Bik was very educated and his metaphors and understanding were shaped by philosophy. His understanding of the principles of Wing Chun was deeper and more refined than his kung fu younger brother Chan Wa Shun. When Leung Bik died, Ip Man returned to Fatshan to help his kung fu brothers with the knowledge he had gained in Hong Kong.

In 1942, Ip Man moved back to Hong Kong to avoid the communist rule in the mainland.

The gift that Ip Man left was a legacy of virtue and honor that is all too vacant in much of today's martial arts scene. Ip Man was born in China in 1893 and began his Wing Chun training around 1903. He was literally the link between the old ways and the new ways. He was the bridge that integrated the old ways of honor and virtue with a public martial art. Without Ip Man, Wing Chun would be lost today. Not only did Ip Man popularize Wing Chun to the point that the entire world wants to learn even the worst forms of it, but he was the only disciple to ever learn from Grandmaster Leung Jan's son, Leung Bik. If you’ll recall, Leung Jan only taught 3 people his two sons (Leung Chun and Leung Bik) and Chan Wa Shun. Leung Chun never taught anyone. Leung Bik only taught Ip Man. And Chan Wa Shun taught Ip Man and a handful of others. Ip Man learned the entire system intimately. Because of his Leung Bik lineage, he could have claimed the title of Grandmaster of Wing Chun. But he did not. Ip Man was tutored in martial virtue. He considered his first teacher his Sifu, even though he learned more from his later teacher, Leung Bik. In doing so, he honored his kung fu brothers, his teachers , and Wing Chun. Ip man understood the role of tradition and honor in Wing Chun.

creds to http://www.wckfc.com/masters/ipman.htm

Archived