Jo In Sung | Zo In Sung 조인성 / Drama 2023: Moving 무빙

gm4queen

Homegrown action film 'Mogadishu' tops Korean box office over weekend

spacer.png

Homegrown actioner "Escape from Mogadishu" topped South Korea's weekend box office in the first week of its release, revitalizing pandemic-hit theaters, data showed Monday.

The film, directed by Ryoo Seung-wan, sold more than 561,000 tickets over the Friday-Sunday period, bringing its combined total to over 788,000 since its release last Wednesday, according to data from the Korean Film Council.

The big-budget tentpole starring popular actors like Kim Yun-seok and Zo In-sung is based on a true story of the life-and-death escape by diplomats in South and North Korean missions in the capital city of Somalia during the civil war in 1991.

Spoiler

DreamWorks Animation's "The Boss Baby: Family Business" fell to No. 2, garnering 138,000 moviegoers.

American adventure flick "Jungle Cruise" came in next, followed by Marvel Studios' "Black Widow" and local horror film "The Cursed: Dead Man's Prey."

The total number of theater visitors over the weekend jumped by over 25 percent from the previous week to 1 million on the back of the strong performance of "Mogadishu."

The weekend box office had suffered about a 20 percent loss of visitors for two consecutive weekends since the government placed the greater Seoul area under the strictest Level 4 social distancing measures on July 12.

Under the Level 4 rules, all movie theaters must close before 10 p.m.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/08/398_313203.html

• Like 1

Review: ‘Escape from Mogadishu’ one of the best action films of the summer

South Korean movie based on a true story of diplomats fleeing from a collapsing Somalia crackles with suspense.

Most American moviegoers probably know very little about the collapse of Somalia into unrest and civil war in the early ‘90s and what they do know, they learned from Ridley Scott’s “Black Hawk Down.” Now, they can add South Korean filmmaker Ryoo Seung-wan’s thrilling “Escape from Mogadishu” to that very short list.

Based on an actual incident and set against the backdrop of East African geo-politics — in which both North Korea and South Korea were involved in the region for their own selfish ends — “Escape from Mogadishu” is a tense look at how sly political maneuvering, power games and spycraft, when mixed with a disregard for the local citizens among whom they work, can devolve into a political horror movie with those who think they’re in control running for their lives. “Escape from Mogadishu” is “Argo” and the fall of Saigon set on African soil.

In 1990, South Korea wanted desperately to join the UN and, since many of the countries that would have to vote on their admission were in Africa, the country launched a campaign to woo local leaders, including Somalian dictator Mohamed Siad Barre. The film opens with a group of officials from the South Korean embassy — including Kang Dae-jin (Jo In-sung, “The Great Battle”) and Han Sin-seong (Kim Yoon-seok) — on their way to bring a small gift to Barre. On the other side, the North Koreans — such as officials Rim Yong-su (Huh Joon-ho, “Default,” “Kingdom”) and Tae Joon-ki (Koo Kyo-hwan, “Train to Busan Presents: Peninsula”) — are trying to thwart South Korea at every turn. In response, the South Koreans accused the North Koreans of selling arms to the rebels.

But as Somalia slid deeper into civil war and anarchy, and both the government, the rebels and ordinary Somalians started to turn on foreigners in general, it became clear that the time was up for the gamesmanship that had served the interest of the two Koreas in the past. There was only one option left for the ambassadors and embassy employees: get out.

That’s the basic narrative drive of the propulsive “Escape from Mogadishu” as both sets of Korean diplomats and their families — cut off from communications and supplies — have to plot how to get out of a country in which a large share of the populace suddenly wants them dead. Do they put aside their differences to help each other or cling to their long-held animosity?

The question makes for an involving and suspenseful action-thriller that Ryoo Seung-wan handles with flair, capably staging big action scenes — like the final, nerve-rattling drive to potential salvation — while not neglecting the human stories at their heart. Don’t be surprised if Hollywood comes knocking on Seung-wan’s door in a big way. (He makes the most of the Moroccan locations and the film’s reported $20 million budget.)

‘Escape from Mogadishu’

Rated TV-14

Running time: 121 minutes

Language: In Korean with English subtitles

Where: Cinemark Memorial City, Houston; AMC Fountains 18, Stafford

**** (out of 5)

“Escape from Mogadishu” is told from South Korea’s point of view — the only reference to the U.S. is that we’re told the Americans diplomats packed up and got out of town much earlier — and that’s refreshing in one sense. But that still means the Somalians are reduced to being just a mass of corruption and violence, with few distinguishing characteristics. They might as well be zombies with automatic weapons. Maybe one day we’ll get a movie about this conflict a Somalian’s viewpoint.

Still, on its own terms, “Escape from Mogadishu” makes for an engrossing, nail-biting Korean history lesson.

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/movies-tv/review-thrilling-escape-from-mogadishu-one-16356539

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 8:49 AM, syntyche said:

Homegrown action film 'Mogadishu' tops Korean box office over weekend

Homegrown actioner "Escape from Mogadishu" topped South Korea's weekend box office in the first week of its release, revitalizing pandemic-hit theaters, data showed Monday.

The film, directed by Ryoo Seung-wan, sold more than 561,000 tickets over the Friday-Sunday period, bringing its combined total to over 788,000 since its release last Wednesday, according to data from the Korean Film Council.

The big-budget tentpole starring popular actors like Kim Yun-seok and Zo In-sung is based on a true story of the life-and-death escape by diplomats in South and North Korean missions in the capital city of Somalia during the civil war in 1991.

Reveal hidden contents

DreamWorks Animation's "The Boss Baby: Family Business" fell to No. 2, garnering 138,000 moviegoers.

American adventure flick "Jungle Cruise" came in next, followed by Marvel Studios' "Black Widow" and local horror film "The Cursed: Dead Man's Prey."

The total number of theater visitors over the weekend jumped by over 25 percent from the previous week to 1 million on the back of the strong performance of "Mogadishu."

The weekend box office had suffered about a 20 percent loss of visitors for two consecutive weekends since the government placed the greater Seoul area under the strictest Level 4 social distancing measures on July 12.

Under the Level 4 rules, all movie theaters must close before 10 p.m.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/08/398_313203.html

@syntychethanks for sharing this. This is great news. I'm happy that this movie is off to a strong start at the Korean box office! I read that “Escape from Mogadishu” is the first Korean film of 2021 to draw over 1 million moviegoers considering that the Korean government recently placed Seoul area under the strictest level of social distancing guidelines, which no doubt had an effect on the box office. Here - Jo In Sung posed for celebratory photo thanking moviegoers for showing the drama so much love, honoring of the film hitting the 1 million mark. Congratulations to the cast and crew of “Escape from Mogadishu” especially to JIS. :kaching3:

Escape-from-Mogadishu.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

Jo In Sung’s “Escape From Mogadishu” Becomes 1st Korean Film Of 2021 To Surpass 1 Million Moviegoers

Jo In Sung’s new movie “Escape from Mogadishu” is off to a strong start at the Korean box office!

spacer.png

On August 3, the Korean Film Council announced that as of 4 p.m. that day, “Escape from Mogadishu” had officially surpassed 1 million moviegoers. The film was originally released on July 28, meaning that it took just seven days to reach the milestone.

Notably, “Escape from Mogadishu” is the first Korean film of 2021 to draw over 1 million moviegoers. The feat is all the more remarkable considering that the Korean government recently placed the greater Seoul area under the strictest level of social distancing guidelines, which undoubtedly had an effect on the box office.

In honor of the film hitting the 1 million mark, stars Jo In Sung, Kim Yun Seok, Heo Joon Ho, Koo Kyo Hwan, Kim So Jin, Jung Man Sik, Kim Jae Hwa, and Park Kyung Hye posed for celebratory photos thanking moviegoers for showing “Escape from Mogadishu” so much love.

Based on real events, “Escape from Mogadishu” is a film about the life-and-death-stakes escape of South Korean and North Korean embassy workers stranded in the midst of the Somali Civil War. The movie is helmed by Ryu Seung Wan, the director behind the hit films “The Battleship Island,” “Veteran,” “The Berlin File,” and “The Unjust.”

Congratulations to the cast and crew of “Escape from Mogadishu”!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1482091wpp/jo-in-sungs-escape-from-mogadishu-becomes-1st-korean-film-of-2021-to-surpass-1-million-moviegoers

Jo In Sung reveals whether he thought about dating onscreen girlfriend Park Kyung Lim

spacer.png

Jo In Sung revealed whether he ever thought about dating onscreen girlfriend Park Kyung Lim.

On the August 3rd episode of 'Lee Soo Young's Let Meet at 12 O'Clock', Jo In Sung opened up about starring in the hit MBC sitcom 'New Nonstop' and his onscreen relationship with co-star Park Kyung Lim. DJ Lee Soo Young asked, "It's been 20 years, and it's possible you got asked this question a lot. Has she ever touched your heart for even 1/10 of a second?"

The actor responded, "Are you talking about Park Kyung Lim noona? I'll say it very clearly right now. There was never even a single moment."

In other news, Jo In Sung is starring in the upcoming movie 'Smuggling' alongside Kim Hye Soo, Yum Jung Ah, Park Jung Min, Kim Jong Soo, and Go Min Si. The film takes place in the 1970s, where two women living in a small, peaceful village by the sea become involved in a smuggling crime operation.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2021/08/jo-in-sung-reveals-whether-he-thought-about-dating-onscreen-girlfriend-park-kyung-lim

6 Korean Celebs Who Don't Have Official Social Media Accounts

Social media sites like Instagram and Twitter are great platforms where Korean stars can connect with their fans. Here, they can give updates on their next projects, promote brands, show their lives behind the scenes, and post cute selfies for us to adore. While some of them have multiple SNS handles, other Korean celebs prefer to stay away from social media apps and be lowkey. Check out who they are (and *verify* if the one you're following RN is just a fan account!) in our list below.

Jo In Sung

Just like how we would wait ~patiently~ for our OG oppa Jo In Sung to appear in a new K-drama (his latest movie, Escape From Mogadishu, just premiered!), it looks like seeing him on Instagram won't be happening anytime soon. Social media is not Jo In Sung's thing and he said in an interview that he's more of the analog type: "It’s not that I don’t do Instagram, it’s that I can’t do it. I’m scared of mistyping something or making a grammatical mistake. Signing up is a challenge, too." But dontchu worry, our fellow Jo In Sung fans—his label, IOK Company, is active on IG! You can also watch him on YouTube, like in an ODG video where he described himself to a kid.

spacer.png

https://www.cosmo.ph/entertainment/korean-actors-who-dont-have-official-social-media-accounts-a4575-20210803

5 Artists at IOK Company

IOK Company is an agency that houses many Korean actors and actresses, including idol personnel. 

IOK Company is also the parent company of IOK Media, which has been engaged in producing and distributing shows such as Go Show, Cunning Single Lady, Marriage Not Dating, Blood, and Stranger.

1. Jo In-sung
Jo In-sung is an actor who started his career as a model. He started acting in 1999 through the sitcom Jump.

His name became known after starring in the film 'The Classic' with Son Ye-jin and Cho Seung-woo, even more so after playing the drama 'What Happened in Bali' with Ha Ji-won and So Ji-sub. In recent years, he has played in dramas 'That Winter, The Window Blows' and 'It's Ok, This is Love'.

He will also return to greet fans through the film Escape from Mogadishu, which tells the life and death story of runaway workers at the North and South Korean embassies who are stranded in the midst of the Somali Civil War.

https://www.cnnindonesia.com/hiburan/20210803115705-234-675703/5-artis-di-iok-company-jo-in-sung-hingga-kim-so-jeong

• Where's My Oppa? 1

ESCAPE FROM MOGADISHU Posts Largest Korean Movie Debut of the Year

20210802170046f52aa14c-91f3-45f5-84a9-03

The local industry kicked off its summer holiday season in solid fashion, despite the ongoing fourth wave of COVID infections and toughened social distancing restrictions. The business jumped up 35% week-on-week, and the local industry was able to claim a 64% majority.  A total of 1.01 million tickets were sold over the weekend, still a far cry from pre-COVID summer holiday numbers, when weekend admissions can normally go as high as five million. 

Kicking off convincingly in the first place was the highly anticipated action-thriller Escape from Mogadishu, the latest film from director Ryoo Seungwan. The film received 562,000 viewers (USD 4.93 million) over the weekend and filled a total of 788,000 seats (USD 6.53 million) over its first five days. The reaction from viewers and critics has been very strong, and the steady increase in daily numbers suggests that positive word of mouth will have an impact on the film’s fortunes in the coming days and weeks. 

Hollywood animation Boss Baby: Family Business slowed 47% during its sophomore frame, during which it sold 138,000 tickets (USD 1.11 million). After almost two weeks in theaters, the sequel has reached 642,000 spectators (USD 5.01 million).

Opening in third place was Disney’s latest film Jungle Cruise featuring Dwayne Johnson. The family adventure opened with 104,000 sales (USD 905,000) over the weekend and a total of 157,000 entries (USD 1.25 million) since its Wednesday launch.

Marvel tentpole Black Widow began to wind down as it dropped two spots and slowed 63% going into its fourth weekend, which tallied 95,000 tickets (USD 841,000). The film has accumulated 2.79 million viewers (USD 24.56 million), the highest total for a foreign film released during the pandemic.

Debuting in fifth place was the occult action-horror The Cursed: Dead Man’s Prey, a feature film spinoff of the tvN drama The Cursed. The film brought in 66,000 viewers (USD 550,000) over the weekend, with 121,000 seats (USD 899,000) over its first five days.

While Escape from Mogadishu will attempt to repeat at the top of the charts, it will have its work cut out for it with the opening of The Suicide Squad, the latest film in the DC Comics franchise.

credit : KOFIC News
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 11:48 AM, syntyche said:

Actor Jo In-sung enters the station to attend the radio schedule of CBS Music FM "Let's meet at 12 o'clock Lee Soo-young" at CBS in Yangcheon-gu, Seoul on the afternoon of the 3rd.

@syntyche, thanks for sharing this. During this appearance, JIS shared that his mother slaps him telling him to quit smoking. Before this, one listener said to him, "I watched your movie 'Escape from Mogadishu' the other day. There were scenes where you smoke. I'm worried about your health." This was where he shared about his mom slapping him. He replied to the listener "I actually smoke. I've really got to quit smoking. I've been trying to quit smoking for some time, but it's not easy. I still didn't manage to quit yet; I'm planning to cut it down little by little. It's not like I smoked more cigarettes because of the movie. I just smoked a bit as the movie needed. The thing that made me struggle the most while shooting 'Escape from Mogadishu' was the dust storm. I breathe that in a lot." Then, the host  commented, "I'm sure he'll take care of his own health well. Don't worry about him too much." JIS said, "Well, I do have to cut down on the number of cigarettes I smoke in a day. I'm going to do that from now on." He laughed and added, "My mother is very worried about me smoking. I've been slapped hard on my back many times because of that." :Fist1:

source : (SBS Star)

• Like 2

'Mogadishu' tops 1 million admissions on 7th day of release

spacer.png

Homegrown actioner "Escape from Mogadishu" has topped a cumulative 1 million admissions on the seventh day of its release, becoming the first South Korean flick to achieve the feat this year, box office data showed Wednesday.

The film, released on July 28, attracted 121,000 people on the previous day, bringing its combined total to 1.03 million, according to the data by the Korean Film Council.

Directed by Ryoo Seung-wan, the film became the first South Korean-made title shown in 2021 to achieve the milestone. Previously, the crime action thriller "Hard Hit" had been the most-watched Korean show with a total of 951,000 moviegoers.

At the same time, "Mogadishu" is among the seven 2021 films that have surpassed the 1 million threshold, including Marvel Studios' superhero movie "Black Widow."

The big-budget tentpole starring popular actors, like Kim Yun-seok and Zo In-sung, is based on the true story of the life-and-death escape by diplomats in South and North Korean missions in the capital city of Somalia during the civil war in 1991.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/08/689_313337.html

‘Escape from Mogadishu’ surpasses 1 million moviegoers; Jo In Sung and others posts congratulatory pictures

spacer.png

Director Ryoo Seung-wan's true story 'Mogadishu' surpassed 1 million viewers for the first time in a Korean movie this year.  Lotte Entertainment recorded 1 million viewers at 1:30 pm IST on August 3, just 7 days after its release. It surpassed 'Hard It', which was released in June and mobilized 950,000 viewers, and became the highest-grossing Korean film this year. Amid the re-spread of COVID-19, word of mouth attracted audiences while social distancing was maintained at Level 4 in the metropolitan area and Level 3 in the non-metropolitan area. 

To celebrate the incredible achievement, the entire cast sent in congratulatory pictures with written messages and elated smiles.

The movie, which depicts the true story of the escape of North and South Korean ambassadors during the 1991 Civil War in Somalia, is the largest among Korean films released this year in terms of production cost. Kim Yun-seok and Jo In-seong took the lead roles, and at the time, Somalia's capital Mogadishu was in a devastating situation, therefore the large-scale shooting and car-chasing action were filmed in Morocco, Africa. Various versions of special theatrics such as IMAX, Dolby Atmos, and 4D were also prepared.  

'Mogadishu' topped the box office by mobilising 560,000 viewers for three days (Friday-Sunday) on the first weekend. As word of mouth spread, the number of viewers per day on Monday (August 2) of the second week of release increased from 100,000 on the first Friday (July 30). Considering that the number of moviegoers usually decreases after the first weekend of release, such a reverse run is interpreted as a green light for the box office.  

It is also noteworthy that 'Escape from Mogadishu' will surpass the record of foreign films that dominated the Korean box office this year. Until August 2, the top-grossing movie based on the integrated computer network for movie theater tickets was the Marvel hero movie 'Black Widow', with a cumulative audience of 2.81 million and so on. 

https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/escape-mogadishu-surpasses-1-million-moviegoers-jo-sung-and-others-posts-congratulatory-pictures-842584

@willenette I'm elated that Mogadishu is doing well in the box office, despite the stricter social distancing guidelines recently. The year's wait for the release of the movie is worth it. So happy for JIS and the team!

I read an article about his interview on his smoking, too. He does need to take care of his health. I share the sentiments of the fan who asked him about it.

• Like 2

15 K-drama Pairs with Crazy Chemistry

There’s no denying that one important ingredient for a successful romance k-drama lies on a good pairing.

So it goes, the two leads must portray their immense love for each other on-screen. But in rare occasions, a pair just easily hits it off even just by staring at each other. Chemistry? Yes.

Ready to feel some butterflies in your stomach? Here’s a list of 15 K-drama pairs we think are blessed with sky-high, crazy chemistry.

Son Ye Jin and Jo In Sung in “The Classic”

Perhaps you’ve seen countless parody of this famous scene in the k-entertainment world.

This Romeo-Juliet story that makes us realize giving second chances isn’t bad at all.

Son Ye Jin and Jo In Sung literally made a classic out of this masterpiece.

• Shocked 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, willenette said:

Perhaps you’ve seen countless parody of this famous scene in the k-entertainment world.

This Romeo-Juliet story that makes us realize giving second chances isn’t bad at all.

Omo, I'll need to find this and watch. Thanks for the heads-up @willenette :sparklyeyes:

35 minutes ago, anjuliet said:

Omo, I'll need to find this and watch. Thanks for the heads-up @willenette :sparklyeyes:

@anjuliet, “The Classic” is very dreamy in nature. It’s pure romance but, has also some humor. This is a great movie, but you have to follow the story to its end to get its full impact. There are scenes where it’s kind of confusing between the past, present and the future. It will make you cry if you're the romantic

sentimental type. The music was haunting.    :rubchin:

_________________________________________________________________________________

*** In one of his promotions for his latest movie, Jo In-sung boasted of his friendship with a volleyball player Kim Yeon-kyung and golfer Park In-bi when he was asked about them. He said that the volleyball player invited him to the volleyball season before, but he could not go because of the covid pandemic. He said to her -  "I want you to come back safely without getting hurt." Both were participating in the Tokyo

Olympics.    :wut:

• Shocked 1
  • Awesome 1

27 minutes ago, willenette said:

“The Classic” is very dreamy in nature. It’s pure romance but, has also some humor. This is a great movie, but you have to follow the story to its end to get its full impact. There are scenes where it’s kind of confusing between the past, present and the future. It will make you cry if you're the romantic

sentimental type. The music was haunting.

@willenette Oooh boy, those types of movies are my favorite. I'd better get ready to fight them ninja onions. :ph34r::tears: I'm sure my daughter would say, oh Mum, you're getting emotionally attached again ! :lol:

Omona... *about the volleyball player* :fear:

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

[Box Office] Movies in theaters this week

Escape from Mogadishu
(Korea)
Opened July 28
Action, Drama
Directed by Ryoo Seung-wan

Set in 1991 Somalia, South Korean Ambassador to Somalia Han Shin-sung (Kim Yoon-seok) and National Security Planning Agency agent Kang Dae-jin (Jo In-sung) are competing against North Korean Ambassador (Heo Jun-ho) for South Korea’s membership in the United Nations. When a civil war breaks out in the African country, South and North Korean diplomats have to cooperate to escape the country together.

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : Korea Herald

• Like 2

The Best New Korean Films Coming in 2021 and Beyond

Several compelling new Korean films are on their way, including Escape from Mogadishu, which is released in the U.S. on Friday.

Distributed by Well Go USA Entertainment in the U.S, the political action thriller will be the opening film of the New York Asian Film Festival (NYAFF), which is on from August 6 to 22.

The film makes its international premiere at the NYAFF on Friday at 6:30 p.m. ET at Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts in New York City, following its release in South Korea last week.

Here we look at some of the most exciting new Korean films to be released this year and beyond.

spacer.png

Escape from Mogadishu

Set in the Somali capital of Mogadishu, the film directed by Ryoo Seung-wan is based on real events that happened in 1991 amid the civil war in Somalia. The events took place at a time when the South and North Korean embassies were battling each other for United Nations membership. Both countries were admitted to the UN that year in September.

The film sees the two embassies come together "solely in order to come out alive from this war field," in the words said by South Korean ambassador Han Shin-sung (the real-life character played by Korean actor Kim Yoon-seok).

The sentiment is echoed in the words of North Korean ambassador Rim Yong-su (played by veteran Korean actor Huh Joon-ho, who recently starred in the Netflix K-drama series Kingdom) who says: "From now on, our goal is survival."

Among the film's other leads is Korean actor Zo In-sung (known from several K-dramas and Korean films) who plays Kang Dae-jin, a counselor for the South Korean embassy who is a member of South Korea's intelligence agency.

Korean actor Koo Kyo-hwan plays Tae Joon-ki, a counselor for the North Korean embassy. Koo was among the main characters in the special episode of the Kingdom series entitled "Ashin of the North," which was released last month.

Escape from Mogadishu features several action-packed narrow escapes, from explosive car chases to dodging bullets on the wartorn streets of Mogadishu.

Asked what was one of the film's most moving scenes, Zo told South Korea's Topclass magazine it is one that shows members of both embassies holding up beefsteak plant leaves while sharing a meal. Known as "ggaetnip" (깻잎) in Korean, it is a popular plant leaf often eaten as a wrap with rice among Koreans and is used in other Korean dishes.

Zo told the magazine on Tuesday: "It's a culture that only we [Koreans] would know. I believe South and North Korea are the only countries that eat ggaetnip."

Escape from Mogadishu is South Korea's highest-grossing film this year.

https://www.newsweek.com/best-upcoming-korean-films-2021-escape-mogadishu-premiere-1616594

Jo In Sung’s Movie Comeback ‘Escape from Mogadishu’ Surpasses 1 Million Moviegoers a Week after its Release

Korean film "Escape from Mogadishu" starring Jo In Sung and Kim Yun Seok remained a box office hit.

Escape from Mogadishu Hailed as the Highest-Grossing Korean Movie in 2021

According to various K-media outlets, on August 6, the newly released action-mystery movie "Escape from Mogadishu" was able to gain 1 million moviegoers one week after it was released.

The film showed a powerful start amidst the ongoing pandemic. "Escape from Mogadishu" keeps on gaining numbers of viewers since it was released on July 28. On its 9th day in cinemas, the movie maintained the top spot of the box office.

Jo In Sung's comeback movie is declared as the highest-grossing Korean movie in 2021. In fact, it is on the verge of breaking the 1.5 million mark.

Escape from Mogadishu Consistent at the Top Box Office for 9 Days in a Row

According to the integrated computer network for movie theater admission tickets by the Korean Film Council, "Escape from Mogadishu" was watched by 92,348 individuals on August 5, making the movie at the first place in the daily box office. As of today, the movie has recorded 1,231,774 viewers already starting from July 28 to August 6.

Now that "Escape from Mogadishu" is already in its second week, it is still showing a strong standing among its competitor, "The Suicide Squad."

The said Hollywood movie came in second place with 42,000 moviegoers on the same day.

Jo In Sung Made a Successful Movie Comeback after Years of Hiatus

Proving his prominence in the industry, actor Jo In Sung made a successful movie comeback with "Escape from Mogadishu." It was his first-ever big screen project after his movie "The Great Battle" in 2018.

spacer.png

May it be in dramas or films, Jo In Sung never fails to captivate the viewers with his performances. Recently, he celebrated his 40th birthday on the day of his movie comeback.

The "Escape from Mogadishu" team has made a small celebration to thank all the fans who keep on supporting the movie. Meanwhile, Jo In Sung will also have another movie coming in 2022. The "It's Okay, That's Love" actor is expected to appear in the film "Smuggling."

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/121471/20210806/jo-sung-s-movie-comeback-escape-mogadishu-surpasses-1-million.htm

REVIEW: ESCAPE FROM MOGADISHU

Ryoo’s casting is also top-notch. Jo In-sung, seen recently heading up The Great Battle (2018), is suitably enigmatic as the intelligence Counsellor. Meanwhile, Heo Joon-ho is perfectly cast as the North Korean ambassador, bringing just the right levels of menace and pathos when called for. Yet the emotional core is invested in Another Child‘s Kim Yoon-seok, a man adept at playing recent historical personas in 1987: When the Day Comes (2017) and Dark Figure of Crime (2018).

The aftermath of this event, and broader Somali Civil War, has famously been depicted by Ridley Scott in Black Hawk Down (2001). Although playing out on a small scale, and with a drastically smaller budget, Ryoo skilfully manoeuvres the audience to a bittersweet ending via a breathless series of spectacularly staged action sequences. Already the highest grossing South Korean action film of the year, it will no doubt join the ranks of A Taxi Driver (2017) in being one of the favourites of the year too.

https://thereelbits.com/2021/08/05/review-escape-from-mogadishu/

"Escape from Mogadishu," unrivaled in the box office …"over 1.5 million viewers in 11 days"

The movie "Escape from Mogadishu" (director Ryu Seung-wan) surpassed 1.5 million viewers in just 11 days after its release.

According to the integrated network of movie tickets for Young Jin-wi, "Escape from Mogadishu" attracted 192,629 viewers on the 7th. The cumulative number of viewers is 1,515,717.

"Mogadishu" attracted 126,672 viewers on the first day of its release on April 28. Since then, it has been at the top of the box office for 11 days.

Escape from Mogadishu's momentum is unlikely to be dampened. As of 9:30 a.m. on the 8th, the real-time reservation rate for "Mogadishu" was 28.2%, which sold about 43,400 tickets.

"Mogadishu" is a film set in the 1991 civil war in Somalia. South Korean embassy officials and family members have been trapped in Mogadishu, Somalia's capital. It depicts their desperate survival and escape. 

Word of mouth played a part in the movie's success. It is said that the action chemistry between Kim Yoon-seok and Jo In-sung is impressive. In addition, the acting skills of luxury actors such as Heo Joon-ho, Koo Soo-chang, Kim So-jin and Jung Man-sik also played a driving role in the box office.

https://www.dispatch.co.kr/2158535

Kim Jae-hwa said, "Jo In-sung is a year younger, but he seems like a 10-year-old brother, a troubleshooter for 5 minutes." 

Actor Kim Jae-hwa appeared on MBC's "Omniscient Interfering View," which aired on August 7.

In the broadcast, Kim Jae-hwa met with actors Kim Yoon-seok, Jo In-sung and Jung Man-sik, who acted together while carrying out the promotional schedule for the movie "Escape from Mogadishu."

Kim Jae-hwa drew attention with her colorful fashion reminiscent of award ceremonies and said, "It's so strange to be noticed. I want to hide in a rat hole. How do you do this, In Seong?" I asked Jo In-sung, a senior entertainer.

Jo In-sung said, "It's over now. "That's it," he said, finding the editing point and saying, "Do you like soft tofu?" and making people laugh.

At the premiere, host Park Kyung-rim asked Kim Jae-hwa, "Everyone must have had a lot to learn, but who took good care of you?" Jo In-sung said, "I'm fine," giving one more laugh.

Regarding Jo In-sung, Kim Jae-hwa said, "He's a year younger than me, but he feels like an older brother who is 10 years older. I relied a lot on him. "If you talk to him when you have a problem, it will be solved in five minutes."

spacer.png

https://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=202108080606131710

• Like 1

"Omniscient Interfering View" - Jo In-sung is the entertainment coach of Kim Jae-hwa

spacer.png

Actor Kim Jae-hwa receives entertainment coaching from Jo In-sung in "Omniscient Interfering View".

In the 164th episode of MBC's "Omniscient Interfering View" which will air on the 7th, a day filled with laughter by popular scene stealers Kim Jae-hwa, Kim Yoon-seok, Jo In-sung and Jung Man-sik will be depicted.

Kim Jae-hwa will have a special meeting with Kim Yoon-seok, Jo In-sung, and Jung Man-sik, who have established close ties by starring in the movie together.

These four show off their unique teamwork by showing off their endless chatter instincts. Expectations are high as there will be a friendly laugh and behind-the-scenes stories that can't be heard anywhere else.

In particular, Jo In-sung is said to give Kim Jae-hwa special entertainment tips. It is rumored that Jo In-sung's one-on-one coaching lead to a scene full of laughter. What entertainment tips did Kim Jae-hwa receive from Jo In-sung?

Questions are focused on the reason why everyone burst out laughing at Jo In-sung's words.

Kim Jae-hwa is said to reveal her daily life of no-filter hidden in luxury acting. Kim Jae-hwa's friendly singing ability and laughter with her two sons are expected to give viewers warmth.

Meanwhile, the 164th episode of MBC's "Omniscient Interfering View" is scheduled to air at 10:30 p.m. on the 7th and may change depending on the situation of the Tokyo Olympics broadcast.

http://mksports.co.kr/view/2021/765883/

Who is the ideal type of volleyball player Kim Yeon-kyung?

"My ideal type is Jo In-sung."

Actor Jo In-sung, who appeared in SBS Power FM's "Cultwo Show" to promote the recently released movie "Escape from Mogadishu" on the 5th, sent a message of support to the national volleyball team member Kim Yeon-kyung.

Kim Yeon-kyung has revealed that actor Jo In-sung is her ideal type through broadcasting. As the Korean women's volleyball team member advanced to the semifinals of the Tokyo Olympics, Jo In-sung carefully confessed his support for Kim Yeon-kyung.

Jo In-sung said on the radio, "I was recently asked to come to watch volleyball in Korea, so I said 'I will,' but the timing was not right because of the pandemic," expressing regret.

Jo In-sung, who said, "The athletes are working hard and the Korean people are cheering for you," added warmth by cheering Kim Yeon-kyung by saying, "I hope you don't get hurt and come back from the games."

Netizens who saw this responded, "Our bread sister is a successful fan," "Wow, Jo In-sung even cheered for her," and "Kim Yeon-kyung is too excited to sleep for a while."

The eternal captain of volleyball, Kim Yeon-kyung, had identified her ideal type as a family-oriented and handsome man. Kim Yeon-kyung, who had said, "He only needs to be over 180 centimeters tall," met Jo In-sung for the first time in 2016 through Park Kyung-rim, who was close to Jo In-sung. In response, Kim Yeon-kyung told the story that she was too nervous to eat properly.

http://www.ggilbo.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=862257

spacer.png

"Escape from Mogadishu" actors on their way to work

"Escape from Mogadishu" cast pose while attending a radio broadcast at SBS in Mok-dong, Yangcheon-gu, Seoul.

The movie "Mogadishu," which was released on the 28th of last month, surpassed 1 million viewers on the 3rd, continuing its box office run despite the bad news of the pandemic.

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://ent.sbs.co.kr/news/article.do?article_id=E10010234209&plink=ORI&cooper=NAVER

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Jo In-sung cheered on Kim Yeon-kyung in "Cultwo Show" - I hope you don't get hurt and finish it well

Jo In-sung cheered for Kim Yeon-kyung.

SBS Power FM's "Cultwo Show," which aired on the afternoon of the 5th, featured comedian Shin Bong-sun as a special DJ, while actors Jo In-sung, Koo Soo-chang, Kim Jae-hwa, and Park Kyung-hye, the main characters of the movie "Escape from Mogadishu," appeared as guests.

"I talked to Park In-bee on the phone yesterday, and I heard it's the hottest moment while playing golf because it's so hot right now," Jo In-sung said in a broadcast on that day.

"Kim Yeon-kyung contacted me to come watch the volleyball season in Korea, I said yes, but I couldn't go because of the pandemic. "The timing was not right," he said.

He said, "The Korean people are cheering for you, so I hope you all cheer up and come back from the game without getting hurt."

In this way, Jo In-sung showed off his close relationship with volleyball player Kim Yeon-kyung and golfer Park In-bee, drawing explosive attention by showing off his close relationship with them.

Meanwhile, Jo In-sung's new film "Escape from Mogadishu" depicts the escape of people who were isolated by civil war in Mogadishu, Somalia's capital in 1991.

http://pop.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=202108051501512861685_1

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 8:38 AM, willenette said:

There’s no denying that one important ingredient for a successful romance k-drama lies on a good pairing.

So it goes, the two leads must portray their immense love for each other on-screen. But in rare occasions, a pair just easily hits it off even just by staring at each other. Chemistry? Yes.

Ready to feel some butterflies in your stomach? Here’s a list of 15 K-drama pairs we think are blessed with sky-high, crazy chemistry.

@willenetteI just finished watching this and... :tears::tears::tears: omaigad, I love it! Thanks again for recommending it! It's gonna be on my re-watch list! :criesariver:

• Like 1