Jo In Sung | Zo In Sung 조인성 / Drama 2023: Moving 무빙

gm4queen

New film reenacts Koguryo's legendary victory over China

SEOUL, Aug. 22 (Yonhap) –– The Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) and the subsequent Japanese colonial period have been the main settings for recent Korean historical films. But only a few feature ancient Korean history, probably because of the lack of historical records.

"The Great Battle," set to open next month, is a rare historical action blockbuster featuring the history of Koguryo, one of the three Korean ancient kingdoms, which lasted from the first to seventh centuries. At its peak, it stretched from the central part of Korea well into modern-day northeastern China.

AEN20180822004300315_01_i.jpg

Actor Zo In-sung poses for the camera during a promotional news conference for his new film "The Great Battle" at a Seoul theater on Aug. 21, 2018. The film is set to open on Sept. 19. (Yonhap)

The movie reenacts the legendary 88-day war that Yang Man-chun and his relatively small Koguryo troops fought against 200,000 invading Chinese Tang troops to defend their territory in 645.

During a promotional press conference in Seoul on Tuesday, director Kim Kwang-sik said his production team had to use their cinematic imagination to add to the backbone of the historical records to tell the story of courageous Koguryo people who fought to defend their country at all cost.

"It's an ancient history that was very much forgotten," Kim said. "So, we thoroughly examined historical records to recreate the main forces of the Koguryo troops and used our imagination to describe Ansiseong, considering the possibility that the border town may have been given a relatively high level of autonomy in the time when the ruler did not have absolute control over the country."

Kim also gave a modern aura to the ancient battle with the casting of young actors and the use of robotic camera arm, high-speed Phantom cameras and other cutting-edge filming devices.

"Admirals or commanders are often depicted as old men in Korean period flicks, but I wanted my characters to do the action themselves. So, I cast young actors."

The lack of historical records had actor Zo In-sung puzzle out his character Yang, head of Ansiseong.

"My question was why he tried to defend the town even though he couldn't receive any help from the ruler, labeled as a traitor," he said. Yang was shunned by Admiral Yeon Gaesomun, who took control of the country in a military coup, for refusing to support the coup.

Zo concluded that Yang would have not wanted to see the happiness of his people destroyed. "I imagined the tie between the locals and their leader was very strong and they lived very happily. So, I thought what if he is a humble leader who always put his authority and power behind to mingle with his people."

Seolhyun, a member of the K-pop girl group AOA, plays Baekha, younger sister of Yang and leader of the troops of female crossbow shooters. She previously appeared in "Memoir of a Murderer," a 2016 crime thriller, as the daughter of the main character, but this is her first role in a historical drama.

"I felt that every moment was a challenge because this was my first time to do a historical drama," the singer-actor said. "But I felt comfortable because such great actors were with me."

The Next Entertainment World presentation is set to open on Sept. 19, days before the long Chuseok fall harvest holiday weekend. The film also has Nam Joo-hyuk, Park Sung-woong, Bae Sung-woo, Um Tae-goo, Park Byung-eun, O Tae-hwan, Jung Eun-chae.

AEN20180822004300315_02_i.jpg

A promotional poster for "The Great Battle" (Yonhap)

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2018/08/22/0200000000AEN20180822004300315.html

• Like 1

Red Velvet's Yeri says she will go this far to have a meal with her ideal type Jo In Sung

jo-in-sung,yeri

Red Velvet's Yeri expressed much affection for Jo In Sung

On the August 23 airing of MBC FM4U's 'Ji Suk Jin's 2 O'Clock Date', Yeri once again mentioned her ideal type Jo In Sung and revealed she's willing to rent an entire restaurant if she could have one meal with him. 

She also confessed her love, stating, "Jo In Sung sunbaenim, I'm always cheering you on. I love you."

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2018/08/red-velvets-yeri-says-she-will-go-this-far-to-have-a-meal-with-her-ideal-type-jo-in-sung

• Like 1

チョ・インソン,安市城

Cho In-sung's "The Great Battle" introduced three attractions.

"The Great Battle" is an extremely large-scale action blockbuster portraying the 88-day battle at Ansi Fortress, which has been reported as the most dramatic and great victory in the history of East Asian war. In preparation for the opening of the Korean market, the production staff disclosed three attractive points.

#NEW VICTORY
Goguryeo's Screen Victory

安市城

First, "The Great Battle" is a movie about Goguryeo's great victory, focusing on the battle between Goguryeo and Ansi Fortress, which has disappeared from history. Director Kim Kwan-shik, who directed the movie, said, "Unfortunately, there is a shortage of historical materials about the battle between Goguryeo and Ansi. However, he said, "I used my best reference to the remaining historical materials and filled in the missing parts with my filmy imagination. It will show the history of the battle between Goguryeo and Ansi, where director Kim Kwang-shik, the production team and actors' efforts have been forgotten, clearly on the screen.

#NEW CHARACTERS
exhilarating actions of young actors
安市城

Young actors such as Cho In-seong, Nam Ju-hyok, Park Sung-eun, Bae Sung-woo, Om Tae-g and Kim Sol-hyun (AOA) will show the charms of Ansi Fortress. "The Great Battle", which has the same military strength as Hollywood, will not only express each individuality clearly, but will also show an explosive chemistry.

Director Kim Kwan-sik said, "I wanted to make a young and sexy period drama, and that's why I cast Cho In-sung first."The action scene in which "Team-Anshijo," which has already become a topic of conversation in the trailer, deals with his own weapons, is one of the important highlights.

#NEW SYSTEM
Introduction of state-of-the-art photographing systems
安市城

Finally, "The Great Battle" offers new attractions to its audience by introducing a cutting-edge system.The powerful action scene unfolded on the vast ground is a result of the close collaboration between the technique of the shooting team and the VFX team. With all the state-of-the-art photographic equipment, such as Skywalker, drone, robotic arm, Phantom and Russian arm, and even VFX technology, new action blockbuster will be introduced.

On the other hand, the movie "The Great Battle" will be released in South Korea on September 19.

Korean entertainment comprehensive information site KOARI

https://www.koari.net/news/detail.php?id=18791

(translated using Naver)

• Like 1

With epic scale and breathtaking action, THE GREAT BATTLE tells the story of the Siege of Ansi, where Goguryeo forces held their fortress against 500,000 invading Tang soldiers in a battle that raged for eighty-eight days.

• Like 1

Jo Insung Warmed Hearts for His Automatic Consideration Gesture Towards AOA`s Seolhyun in Short Skirt at Recent Event

temp_b079664e120c79f3dfed83140bcdc19f.jp

Jo Insung was ready to help her.

Casts of the movie 'The Great Battle' including Jo Insung, Nam Joohyuk, Park Sungwoong as well as AOA's Seolhyun attended the showcase for the movie prior to its premiere that will be happening on September 19th. The cast took their seats in order and Jo Insung took his seat before Nam Joohyuk did that was soon followed by Seolhyun. 

The moment Seolhyun makes her way to her seat, Jo Insung stood up and retrieved the blanket that was on her chair and helped her with it after she sat down. 

• Like 1

Jo In Sung, Nam Joo Hyuk, Seolhyun & more of 'The Great Battle' are dressed to kill in 'High Cut'

Seolhyun,jo-in-sung,nam-joo-hyuk

The stars of upcoming historical blockbuster film 'The Great Battle' seriously dressed to kill in their full-cast, 'High Cut' pictorial.

The cast members including Jo In Sung, Nam Joo Hyuk, Park Sung Woong, Bae Sung Woo, AOA's Seolhyun, Jung Eun Chae, Park Byung Eun, Um Tae Goo, and Oh Dae Hwan had no trouble setting the serious, deadly silent mood of a group of modern soldiers ready for war. Shedding their battle armor for suits and professional attire, 'The Great Battle' stars depicted an upgraded air of maturity.

In their 'High Cut' interview, you can find various beind-the-scenes stories from the filming set of 'The Great Battle', as well as each actor and actress's reasons for why they chose to work on this film. 

Meanwhile, 'The Great Battle' premieres in Korea on September 19. 
  • Like 1

Nam Joo Hyuk, AOA’s Seolhyun, Jo In Sung, And More Talk About Why They Were Attracted To Their Upcoming Film

d8a296f60b6c45b2915ba5805a1bf61a.jpeg?s=

On September 4, the fashion magazine High Cut released their photo shoot featuring the cast of the upcoming historical film “The Great Battle.”

The stellar cast includes Jo In Sung, Nam Joo Hyuk, Park Sung Woong, Bae Sung Woo, AOA’s Seolhyun, Jung Eun Chae, Park Byung Eun, Uhm Tae Goo, and Oh Dae Hwan.

In the accompanying interview, the cast share their reasons for why they were drawn to this project. Jo In Sung said, “I was looking forward to a new type of historical drama. It’s rare for Korean films to portray the history of the Goguryeo era.”

He added, “‘The Great Battle’ is definitely a mainstream film. They are not fighting while running away, but instead picking a place to go to war face-to-face. The action is a lot more aggressive and intense.”

“The Great Battle” premieres in South Korea on September 19.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1225599wpp/nam-joo-hyuk-aoas-seolhyun-jo-sung-talk-picked-new-film

• Like 1

Jo In Sung Chooses Park Bo Young As His Dream Female Lead

34f66e2ee0a24f999398ef01b0de2e1a.jpeg?s=

Jo In Sung revealed his dream cast for a film.

On September 11, Jo In Sung appeared on the V Live show “Actor & Chatter” to talk about films.

MC Park Kyung Lim introduced the actor by saying, “Sung Joo in ‘The Great Battle’ and the main lead of South Korean women, Jo In Sung.”

Jo In Sung joked, “Didn’t I help ‘Actor & Chatter’ grow? I think I’m going to have to give myself some credit. In the past, I had to crawl up here.”

Park Kyung Lim explained, “There was a special episode of ‘Actor & Chatter.’ It was an attic. It was hard to come up.” Thinking back to his own roots, Jo In Sung said, “Hello. I’m Jo In Sung from the neighborhood of Bangi in the Songpa District.”

Jo In Sung continued to make jokes throughout the broadcast. Upon hearing that they’d already received 516,000 hearts, the actor said, “That’s not enough. It should be 1 million by now. 12 million? Is that not possible? I’ll even use the phone-a-friend chance to call [EXO’s] D.O.

Park Bo Young, who was the previous actress to appear on “Actor & Chatter” had left the question for him, “If you were to produce a movie with your own money, would you be the lead?”

Jo In Sung responded, “I’ll choose you, Bo Young, as the female lead. We’ve never worked together, but we’re personally close. Don’t accept a guarantee and I’ll give you a running guarantee instead. The film will do well.” A “running guarantee” is a payment made based on the box office profits of a film, rather than a pre-determined amount written in a contract.

He continued, “Lee Kwang Soo would be a bit weird right? D.O.? Kim Woo Bin is a bit sick, so…” He added with a smile, “Bo Young, if you become the female lead, I’ll play the male lead.”

About directing or producing, Jo In Sung stated, “Right now, I’m busy with just acting. I’ll do those kinds of things later.”

Jo-In-Sung.jpg

“The Great Battle” will premiere on September 19.

Source (1) / soompi news

• Like 2

Jo In Sung Describes His Different Approach To His Character In Film “The Great Battle”

2ad8fdf7b11040c6ae244d939ace4fb6.jpeg?s=

Jo In Sung spoke about his acting method and latest film “The Great Battle.”

On September 12, a press conference was held for the film “The Great Battle” at the CGV movie theater in Seoul. Jo In Sung, Nam Joo Hyuk, Park Sung Woong, Bae Sung Woo, Um Tae Goo, AOA’s Seolhyun, Park Byung Eun, and director Kim Kwang Sik attended the event.

“The Great Battle” is an action blockbuster about the 88 days of battle at Ansi City during the Goguryeo Dynasty.

In the film, Jo In Sung appears as general Yang Man Chun, a defender of Ansi Fortress who leads his forces to fight against China’s largest army.

After watching the film, the actor commented, “I think the scenes that we worked hard on definitely came out well. More than anything, I think our passion for trying to accomplish something was visible, so I enjoyed watching it.”

On his portrayal of a general, Jo In Sung explained, “There are probably many different kinds of generals that existed. Before acting as my character, I first thought about the kind of general that I could portray. Senior actors are sitting next to me, and I’m a child when competing against their charisma and strength.”

He continued, “In order to create a more extraordinary character, I thought that I wanted Yang Man Chun to be a free man who didn’t have pain.”

He added, “Instead of Yang Man Chun’s struggle and ambitions after he gets called a traitor, I focused more on his goal of protecting the fortress and the people. After deciding on that portrayal of the character, I think I was able to portray him as the leader of a fortress in a way that can be communicated to viewers.”

“The Great Battle” will premiere on September 19.

Source (1) (2) / soompi news

Top Photo Credit: Xportsnews

• Like 2

Jo In Sung Reveals What It’s Like To Be Friends With EXO’s D.O.

Their bromance is stronger than ever!

rrUtuuBSkrWSIwIfGXvPwklRTpuP1et85TGFDfTn

Actor Jo In Sung recently sat down for a live interview on Actor & Chatter, where he opened up about his close friendship with EXO‘s D.O. (aka. Do Kyungsoo).

D.O. was first mentioned when Jo In Sung predicted that their interview will receive about 12 million hearts total. Host Park Kyung Lim mentioned that no actor has gotten near 12 million hearts on their show except D.O.

“I’m estimating about 12 million hearts [by the end of the broadcast]… No? Did that never happen before? Oh Kyungsoo [did].

Do I need to get him on the phone [to get more hearts]?”

— Jo In Sung

Jo In Sung revealed that he actually met D.O. earlier that day. They ran into each other at a photoshoot where D.O. ran over to greet him with the happiest grin! Jo In Sung and Park Kyung Lim then continued to dive into the close bromance.

“I just met him. I just met him today. He’s doing well.

We were coincidentally shooting for the same magazine today. We didn’t know that we were shooting at the same place. He suddenly approached me with a big smile. I was so surprised.”

— Jo In Sung

Jo In Sung and EXO’s D.O. first met on set for It’s Okay That’s Love – D.O.’s debut drama as an actor. They had such a good chemistry that Jo In Sung reveals he’d like to work with him again, but this time as brothers in a thriller genre!

“I think it’ll be best to play the roles of brothers. Maybe a thriller with Kyungsoo being the criminal.”

— Jo In Sung

Not only do they work together, Jo In Sung and D.O. bonded over karaoke! He jokingly claimed that while D.O. sings like a professional, he gets kicked out of karaoke rooms because of his “embarrassing” singing skills!

“We’ve been to karaoke together. He’s really good at singing because he’s a vocalist.

Some karaoke places don’t let me in. They say I’m too loud and embarrassing. They tell me to leave if I’m going to sing like that.”

— Jo In Sung

As two mega-talented actors, Jo In Sung and D.O. continue to support each other as the sweetest friends-slash-brothers!

source : koreaboo

LINK to watch the video : https://www.koreaboo.com/news/jo-sung-exo-kyungsoo-friends/

• Like 2