[movie 2005] Rules Of Dating 연애의 목적

armanigurl

Park Hae Il, Kang Hye Jeong
Rules of Dating (2005) 연애의 목적 the cast Kang Hye-Jeong Park Hae-Il Kim Jong-Du Park Jun-Myung Park Grina Lee Dae-Yeon Seo Young-Hwa crew Director: Han Jae-Rim Writer: Han Jae-Rim Writer: Go Yun-Hee Producer: Cha Seung-Jae Cinematography: Park Yong-Su Editor: Park Gok-Ji Music: Lee Byeong-Wu Synopsis LEE Yu-rim is a high school English teacher. He's cute, clever... and shameless. CHOI Hong is a student teacher, even though she is one year older than Yu-rim. She's cynical and always plays hard-to-get when a man shows interest in her. While going out for drinks one night, Yu-rim suddenly tells Hong that he wants to have sex with her. Hong is hardly impressed. And so begins a battle of will and wits, both between each other and within themselves, as both Yu-rim and Hong are unsure of what each other wants and what they want themselves. Dating and desire mix explosively. What is the point of this strange relationship? What is the object of their desire? (source: kofic) 'Rules of Dating' Shows It’s the Journey That Matters (7/10) review by Kim Tae-jong June 11, 2005 Read: 550 What is the purpose of dating? Is it to satisfy a physical desire, to feel companionship or get married? It’s probably quite difficult to find the right answer to this tricky question, but the new film ``Rules of Dating (Yonaeui Mokjok)’’ successfully leads moviegoers to find their own answers. At first glance, the film, directed by Han Jae-rim, seems like a run-of-the-mill sex comedy. But as the story progresses, it evolves and delves deeper into the true meaning of dating and love. In the film, high school English teacher Lee Yu-rim (played by Park Hae-il) starts to flirt with student teacher Choi Hong (Kang Hye-jeong) when she is dispatched to the school. A few days later, he even asks her to have sex with him directly and he gets more aggressive toward his goal. Yu-rim has a girlfriend, with whom he has been in a serious relationship for six years. Nevertheless he is cynical about romance and simply thinks that there is no such thing as true love between a man and woman. For him, dating is nothing more than a means of getting physical satisfaction. Hong also has a boyfriend, a medical doctor whom she intends to marry. But despite its promise of security, she is unhappy and distrustful of the relationship due to the pain and abuse she suffered in a past relationship. dating.jpg Yu-rim’s direct and aggressive approach, however, works to gradually open Hong’s mind as she finds unique characteristics in him that are missing from her life. When Yu-rim learns about her past and tries to heal her pain he realizes what the real goal of dating is. In fact, the two characters learn that there is no one destination that they should reach but the whole procedure of dating is meaningful, giving them a chance to grow from the experience. The only problem with the character of Yu-rim is that his behavior toward Hong can be seen as sexual violence and is often exaggerated, but the film manages to overcome it thanks to strong performances by the two main actors. Park, who has played men with a soft image such as a kind and gentle postman in ``My Mother, the Mermaid,’’ successfully shows a completely different side while Kang also shows another strong and distinguishing performance like in her previous works ``Old Boy’’ and ``Three Monster.’’ (courtesy of KoreaTimes) tbfild010admin_200562216747_main.jpgtbfild010admin_200562216747_3.jpgtbfild010admin_200562216747_4.jpgtbfild010admin_200562216747_5.jpgtbfild010admin_2005622161159_3.jpgtbfild010admin_2005622161159_4.jpgtbfild010admin_2005622161159_5.jpg pics from koreanfilm

have you seen this movie yet AG? ... it's urmmn... rather disturbing and thought provoking for me. park hae-il is such a sleazeball here. haha ... it was rather enlightening watching him do a very different role from what i've seen him do before. a rather interesting movie ... great acting.

i havent watch this but i intend to.. i dun expect much from the story or directing.. but park hae il has always been a great actor to me. and seeing this combination really interest me.

i've always been a fan of park hae il. so i just wanna watch the range of his acting in this one.. :)

Guest thunderbolt

Reposting the short review that I wrote for the Hotelier2002 forum today:

Watched Rules of Dating.

I really like this movie. There's an honesty to it that's refreshing, particularly the dialogue. The movie made me gasp, laugh, think... The second half was very interesting the way it overturned your expectations. You think you know the characters but then they do and say things that astonish you.

Park Hae-il, my favorite postman in My Mother the Mermaid, demonstrated again what a good actor he is. I was stunned by his transformation in this movie. And Kang Hye-jeong... no disputing the accolades piled on her for her role here. Really superb acting from both leads.

Very intelligent movie, and very brave too. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

(credit: hotelier2002.com/forum)

aish thunderbolt, unlike you i didn't like the movie :blush:

i thought Park Hae Il's character's actions represented what you shouldn't do in the workplace: sexually harassing a co-worker and um ... raping her. IMO, he raped her because she told him to stop but he didn't listen. it was kinda unexpected how things ended up for them. :huh:

anyway, i thought Kang Hye-jeong looked very pretty in the movie.

Guest thunderbolt

A review of the movie:

Rules of Dating

This one really surprised me.

Maybe because I thought it was just another romantic comedy. The cover on the DVD looks that way, most of the blurbs I’ve seen say that it is – but it is not.

It’s a romantic drama with quite a serious story to tell.

Lee Yoo-rim (Hae-il Park) is a teacher. When the new student teachers arrive, he is teamed up with Choi Hong (Hye-jeong Kang), to whom he is immediately attracted, even though she is 27 – a year older than him (and that’s a big deal in Korean society).

He asks her straight out to have sex with him, telling her that he does not believe in love – even though he has had a girlfriend for the last six years. Hong is about to marry her doctor boyfriend in a month, but Yoo-rim does not care – he just wants to have sex!

He keeps trying to persuade her, and even tries to force himself unto her. When it comes down to it she seems slightly interested in a passive kind of way. He seems very immature about women and their feelings, he just seems to care about his own needs – in a typical male fashion?

Of course they have sex. They start to talk, and we learn why Hong acts as she does. And then things escalate. Actions, reactions, feelings and we’re off to the races.

This is director Han Jae-rim’s first film, and I liked it a lot. It shows that even though things are changing in Korea, it is still a more male dominated society than most western European countries.

Like most men Yoo-rim does not understand the pressure that even a smart and resourceful Korean woman is put under from a chauvinistic cheating Korean man – how her surroundings almost automatically put the blame on her, and how she has to bear all the consequences.

Her solution to this is clever and does not seem contrived, but arises naturally from her situation. If a man cannot emphasize with a woman’s plight – put him in a similar situation, and suddenly he understands things a lot better!

So why was this marketed as a romantic comedy? I have no idea. Maybe someone who knows more about Korean society can tell me? “Rules of Dating” certainly has romance, it is very honest about sex, but to me the comedy aspect just was not there. And it should not be – it is not a comedy at all.

That does not mean that the film has no humor or is very dogmatic about getting it’s message through. It is both warm and alive and especially Kang Hye-jeong is doing a terrific job. She tells Choi Hong’s story so well that any man will have a hard time tearing his eyes away from her beautiful face – even in the sex scenes!

I don’t know if the English title “Rules of Dating” is an adequate translation (I tend to think it’s another aspect of the romantic comedy marketing ploy), but the film pokes at a lot of sore spots in male behavior without trying to preach and it shows a lot of heart doing it.

Here in Scandinavia we like to think that we have come a bit farther in creating equal standards for both sexes than the picture this film draws of Korean society – but we haven’t come so far that we will leave the theatre completely unscathed.

Go and watch “Rules of Dating” – it’s a good film.

Uffe Stegmann

September 18, 2005

source: http://www.shuqi.org/asiancinema/reviews/rulesofdating.shtml

• 1 month later...
Guest annababy

HATED this movie!!!!!!!!!i guess people in korea loved it, it won awards or was nominated, but personally I THINK IT SUCKED!!!!!!!!! maybe because its so honest, the man just wanting to get into her pants, but still i didn't like it, call me cliche but just didn't feel the movie!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This was marketed as a romcom?! :lol: The English title is kinda iffy.

Judging from the posts in this thread (and obviously the subject matter and how it was presented), I guess this is a movie that people react to strongly, whether positively or negatively.

As for me, I'm not sure I should have (kidding!), but I enjoyed this movie immensely. Great chemistry between the 2 leads, great acting from Park HaeIl and Kang HyeJung (who's never been prettier), the dialogue was fun and smart and irreverent, and even after it turns all serious and melodramatic, the climax still pulled the rug out from under me.

(The sex scenes, for me, was a non-issue. It was integrated well into the story...hell, almost all their interactions revolved around having-or-not-having it, the sex was an IMPORTANT narrative device; it was never gratuitous.)

One of the things I like best about the movie is what I guess turns some people off: the characters often act in despicable and unpredictable ways. PHI, oozing sleazeball charm, cheats on his girlfriend, and constantly manipulates, sexually harasses and even rapes KHJ, yet he also comes to genuinely care for her and just when he does, becomes the unwitting pawn in her empowerment; while KHJ, using vulnerability as a shield, though at first a "victim" of her past and of his determined-yet-clumsy advances, never completely repulses them and finally becomes his willing lover, yet in the end she unfairly(?) ruins his career. Nevertheless one certainty is that they share an extremely strong attraction and emotional connection. These two are very complicated people, not easy to understand or like. But they're human. The movie itself is cloaked in shades of gray that you're not sure exactly who to root for, how to react. I loved its black humor, how it often surprised an inappropriate giggle and guffaw out of me during horrid situations that at the same time had me cringing. I welcome that kind of "disturbing"--whereas the usual popcorn fare just entertains you then is instantly forgettable, good movies should make you think. And because of its intelligence and startling honesty, this one does, seemingly against your will, but never in a heavy-handed way: how you stand on matters like gender politics, double standards, workplace ethics, invason of privacy, where the line is, what is forgivable.

The epilogue was a crazy-but-sweet touch, in keeping with the film's vibe, and it's a testament to this simple fact: They're made for each other. I have no idea how they'll get past all their baggage, they'll probably drive each other nuts...but they belong together.

"Rules of Dating" is still ultimately a love story--a strange, sick and twisted one at that.^_^

http://www.todo-nottodo.co.kr/

http://www.nkino.com/Events/todo-nottodo/

Posters from koreafilm.co.kr:

poster3.jpg

poster.jpg

poster2.jpg

poster1.jpg

poster4.jpg

Guest CreaMoon

ITA with you melusine.

I think it's a great movie. something really different and great to see the two leads with that much chemistry. Kang HyeJung was really great.

great reviews, you guys! I loved this movie, in my top 10 of the year, but all your comments made me see even more that I hadn't already. For example, I hadn't taken into consideration how much society (Korean or otherwise) will automatically make the woman a victim. I liked the turnaround, it was quite the vindication!

why does park hae il always do... like sexual movies??? O_O???? when i saw old boy, i was like wtfreak?!?!

-S0LLY ^3^

are you talking about Kang Hye-Jeong? Park Hae-Il wasn't in "Old Boy". If you're talking about the girl, watch "Welcome to Dongmakgol"!

Guest thunderbolt

why does park hae il always do... like sexual movies??? O_O???? when i saw old boy, i was like wtfreak?!?!

-S0LLY ^3^

LOL, he doesn't "always do... like sexual movies"!!

There's a thread for him here in Soompi; you can check his filmography.

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7349

Great review, melusine. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed Rules of Dating very much too. Intelligent and entertaining. Superb acting. :P

Archived