Park Hae-Il 박해일 [Movies: “Decision to Leave”, “Hansan: Rising Dragon”]

Helena

Guest Demllequ

he was so cute in a boy who went to heaven.

it was such a sweet movie

• 2 months later...
Guest thunderbolt

Haha, Mel, you beat me to it. Was about to post the same pics. :P Thank you!

I love the ones of the three guys together. Three great actors on one stage. :wub:

• 5 weeks later...

Awesome actor but so underrated..wow 3 incredible actors together..with Song Kang Ho and Ha Jung Woo on stage! :rolleyes:

Definitely cant wait for the movie 'Billion'!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just sharing ^_^

Park Hae-Il CFs

rv0008345.th.jpg

Hana Bank

[Streaming]

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200410/AT0400367.wmv

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200405/RV0008345.wmv

kj0031162320.jpg

Baskin-Robbins

[Streaming]

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200406/RV0008481.wmv

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200410/AT0400027.wmv

rv0008729.th.jpg

Mr. Pizza Potato Gold (w/ Lee Young-Eun)

[Streaming] [Streaming + Making]

15 sec

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200408/RV0506090.wmv

30 sec

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200505/RV0505116.wmv

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200408/RV0008729.wmv

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200410/AT0400022.wmv

rv0007412.th.jpg

Maxim Coffee Mix (w/ Kim Jung-Eun, Song Jae-Ho)

[Streaming]

http://www.dongsuh.co.kr/uploadtvcf/______.mpg

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200309/RV0007412.wmv

rectanglkkkk.th.jpg

Maxim Coffee Mix (w/ Kim Jung-Eun, Yang Mi-Kyung)

[Streaming]

http://www.dongsuh.co.kr/uploadtvcf/avseqsjshdh.mpg

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200404/RV0008105.wmv

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200410/AT0400100.wmv

newmaxim017.th.jpg

Maxim Coffee (w/ Ahn Sung-Ki, Lee Jung-Jae, Kim Jung-Eun, Lee Mi-Yeon, ?)

[YouTube] [Streaming]

http://www.dongsuh.co.kr/uploadtvcf/avseq01.dat

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200405/RV0008283.wmv

20050228am90631maxim3.jpg

Maxim Coffee Mix (w/ Kim Jung-Eun, Hong Soo-Hyun)

[Streaming]

20 sec

http://www.dongsuh.co.kr/uploadtvcf/20050228AM9063120s.wmv

30 sec

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200502/RV0512339.wmv

rv0512613.th.jpg

Maxim Coffee Mix (w/ Kim Jung-Eun, Ahn Sung-Ki)

[Streaming]

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200506/RV0512613.wmv

rv0009761.th.jpg

Maxim Coffee Mix (w/ Kim Jung-Eun)

[YouTube] [Streaming]

http://www.dongsuh.co.kr/uploadtvcf/200509...84317____15.wmv

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200510/RV0009761.wmv

rv0705192.th.jpg

LG Card

[Streaming]

15 sec

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200607/RV0705191.wmv

20 sec

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200608/RV0010463.wmv

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200607/RV0705192.wmv

rv0010700.th.jpg

Ottogi Miso Ramen

[Streaming]

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200610/RV0010700.wmv

mms://media.adic.co.kr/tv/wmv300/200608/RV0705478.wmv

44e93e2259a1a77466eff79.jpg

Ssangyong Actyon (w/ Jung Ryeo-Won)

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrBFdywZT4U] [Streaming]

e79c65533c3226c42d86868.jpg

Ssangyong Actyon

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQKqxJopm70] [Streaming]

All CFs zipped (32.15 MB): [MegaUpload] [MediaFire]

credit: www.adic.co.kr + Naver

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

m001000210w1000.jpg

m0020001tsposterw1000.jpg

m0020003s2w800.jpg

m0020005cwj2112w800.jpg

M0020021_bodo-8[W800-].jpg

m0020006cwj2583w800.jpg

m0020007cwj2704w800.jpg

m0020002s1w800.jpg

M0020024_bodo-11[W800-].jpg

M0020025_bodo-12[W800-].jpg

M0020026_bodo-13[W800-].jpg

M0020028_bodo-15[W800-].jpg

M0020014_bodo-1[W800-].jpg

M0020001_still-1[W800-].jpg

credit: Cine21

dsc02627.jpg

dsc02557.jpg

dsc02611c.jpg

dsc02519.jpg

dsc02468l.jpg

dsc02463b.jpg

credit: Park Hee-Soon's cyworld (thanks to creidesca@LMK thread)

1,000,000,000 – An Introduction

Film: 1,000,000,000: A Billion (십억: 1,000,000,000)

Premiere Date: July 2009

Director: Cho/Jo Min Ho

Cast:

Park Hae Il – Han Gi Tae

Park Hee Soon - Producer/Director Chang

Shin Mina – Cho Yu Jin

Lee Min Ki – Park Chul Hee

Jung Yu Mi – Kim Ji Eun

Lee Chun Hee – Choi Wook Hwan

Go Eun Ah – N/A

Synopsis:

Eight men and women go to Australia to compete in a survival game for a prize of 1,000,000,000 KRW. While filming the reality television program, they face situations that put their lives at risk in Western Australia’s expansive desert and jungle.

The cast and crew of upcoming movie A Billion completed filming on May 6. Beginning on February 22, they shot for two and a half months in Seoul and on location in Australia.

[...]

(KP’s note: Naver Movie lists the movie title as 1,000,000,000 십억: A Million, but this must be an error since 십억 is definitely not one million, it’s one billion.)

Source: KPculture

M0040007_bodo-7[W800-].jpg

M0040001_bodo-1[W800-].jpg

M0040002_bodo-2[W800-].jpg

credit: Cine21

A Million has its press conference

The movie Billion [10억] seems to have adopted the English-language title A Million, which is odd since the title literally means “a billion.” I can only surmise that this is a rough conversion of money, since 1 billion won is a little less than 1 million dollars, which is the prize money in the plot of this reality-game-based thriller.

The plot is basically what you would get if you smooshed Survivor with The Most Dangerous Game: A group of contestants is dropped off on an island and made to compete against each other for a large cash prize. But in the hands of a psycho producer, the game takes a macabre turn.

When the film was first announced, the plot seemed okay, but what caught my attention was its star-studded cast, mixing up-and-comers with established Hallyu names: Shin Mina, Park Hae-il, Lee Min-ki, Park Hee-soon, Jung Yumi, Lee Chun-hee, and Go Eun-ah.

[...]

Billion / A Million held its production press conference on June 17, and four of the main cast were in attendance (although I was sorry to see some missing, such as Jung Yumi and Lee Chun-hee).

The film opens on July 16. Here are the main cast members Shin Mina and Lee Min-ki, pictured with Park Hae-il and Park Hee-soon in the third photo.

At the press conference, Shin Mina laughingly recounted how she had been at the beach practicing for a scene involving a raft-making game, when the managers started screaming, “Shark!” She hurriedly made her way to land, where they realized it was merely a dolphin.

She also explained that she had shot a lot of her projects as the sole actress among a group of actors (Go Go 70, The Naked Kitchen), “but this time I had unnis with me. We shared a room together and cooked together, and became good friends.”

[...]

Meanwhile, Park Hae-il was given credit as the reason for Park Hee-soon’s involvement in this project. Said Park Hee-soon, “I had had the chance to act with him a few times in the past, but they never worked out. This time, he called to say let’s do this together, so that’s the biggest reason why.”

Park Hae-il said in return that he’d been impressed back when he was in his early theater days and seen Park Hee-soon performing, and thought he’d like to be like him.

[...]

Via My Daily, Asia Economy

Source: Dramabeans

Official Website: http://www.1000000000.co.kr/

Teaser: mms://vod.cine21.com/cine21.com/movie/making/2009/06/10_australia.wmv [YouTube]

Trailer: mms://vod.cine21.com/cine21.com/movie/trailer/2009/06/10_tr.wmv [YouTube]

Making: [YouTube]

Poster Shoot: [YouTube]

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest kdramafanusa

According to CJ Entertainment website, Iggi will be released in February of 2010.

이끼

Director 감독 : Kang Woo-Seok 강우석

배우 : Park Hae-Il 박해일, Jung Jae-Young 정재영, Yoo Joon-Sang 유준상, Yoo Hae-Jin 유해진

등급 : 미정

개봉 : 2010년 02월중 예정

상영시간 : 미정

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest kdramafanusa

Source: JoongAng Daily

Year of the thriller for Korean movies

Film insiders excited over new works by three star directors

January 13, 2010

12205528.jpg

The Housemaid

Above, a scene from "The Housemaid" (1960), the classic Korean thriller directed by Kim Ki-young. Right, Im Sang-soo will direct the remake of the film, while Jeon Do-youn, left, will star. [JoongAng Photo]

Hits came from all quarters in Korean cinema last year, with big blockbusters "Take Off" and "Haeundae," auteur films "Thirst" and "Mother" and indie sleepers "Old Partner" and "Breathless" all filling seats.

Disaster flick Haeundae was the first locally made film to top 10 million tickets sold in three years. Industry-wide box office returns hit a record high of 1.08 trillion won ($964 million), about half from Korean-made films.

The state-funded Korean Film Council forecast in a recent report that the local movie market will continue its incremental growth over the next five years, and 2010 is expected to be another bonanza for the local film studios. But the most hotly anticipated movies inside the industry aren't quite as diverse as 2009's top sellers - on the contrary, they're all in a single genre: thriller.

Korea's thriller renaissance, kicked off by "The Chaser" in 2008 and continued by "Secret" at the end of last year, continues with "No Mercy," the first big, locally made release of 2010.

12205656.jpg

The Murderer (working title)

Above, Ha Jung-woo stands during the shooting of " The Murderer" (working title). Provided by Showbox / The new thriller will be directed by Na Hong-jin, right, who is rejoined by Ha and actor Kim Yun-seok, left, his stars in "The Chaser." [JoongAng Photo]

According to a recent survey by the JoongAng Ilbo of 20 film experts including producers, investors and critics, the three most highly anticipated films scheduled to be released this year were all thrillers. "The Housemaid," a remake of a local classic, came in first, followed by "The Murderer" (working title), which will reunite "The Chaser" director Na Hong-jin with his two leads from that film. In third was "Moss" (working title) by veteran director Kang Woo-suk.

"The Housemaid," a remake of the 1960 film by the late director Kim Ki-young, was chosen as the No. 1 most anticipated Korean movie in 2010 by a majority of the respondents. The movie tells the story of a man who has an affair with the maid, eventually leading to the destruction of his life.

Though it may sound riddled with old cliches, the film is still considered a classic for the legendary director's aesthetic prowess. Critics say it's no one thing that makes the movie special: There are its comments on the downfall of the middle class, its tinge of eroticism and its taut plotting.

Last year, the Korean Film Archive restored a black-and-white original print of "The Housemaid" that had been damaged with the aid of the World Cinema Foundation, a nonprofit organization led by world-renowned director Martin Scorsese that works to preserve neglected films from around the world.

12205804.jpg

Moss (working title)

Above, the online hit graphic novel series "Moss" was taken as the inspiration for director Kang Woo-suk's latest film, an adaptation of the same name. Provided by Daum.net / Actor Park Hae-il, left, plays the lead role in "Moss" by director Kang, right. [JoongAng Photo]

When the remake was announced in late 2008 it set the local movie industry on fire - especially later, when the project fell into the hands of Im Sang-soo, the bold and unique director of "The President's Last Bang" (2005) and "A Good Lawyer's Wife" (2003), whom film critic Kim Bong-seok describes as "the most provocative director in Korea."

Adding to expectations for the project is its star, Jeon Do-youn, the beloved Korean actress who exploded onto the world stage with a Best Actress win at Cannes in 2007. Jeon will play the titular character.

"I look forward to seeing Jeon's version of The Housemaid, as I know she can pull off the role of a femme fatale so perfectly," said Lee Jin-hoon, director of the Korean cinema team at Lotte Entertainment.

Actor Lee Jung-jae, who co-starred in "Typhoon" with Jang Dong-gun, and the young and promising actress Seo Woo, who caught the eye of the industry with her performance in "Paju" last year, have been cast as the husband and wife.

"I can't wait to see the results - the meeting between the director of the moment and one of the best films in Korean cinema," said Jeon Chan-il, regular programmer of the Pusan International Film Festival.

But the seemingly blessed remake was recently marred by a very public conflict between the writer and the director.

Screenwriter Kim Soo-hyun, who has built up a reputation as a hit-maker with numerous popular TV dramas and several award-winning movies, was invited by the producer to write a script for the highly anticipated new Housemaid. The project ground to a halt after the director who had been attached to it initially quit, and Kim suggested Im take the reins.

All seemed to be going well until Kim finished the script and handed it over to Im. The director made changes, reportedly to suit his provocative style, and Kim expressed her dissatisfaction. The matter seemed settled when Im apologized, but later problems would crop up again when Im took his version of the script to the producers. Kim claimed the director had agreed to cooperate on the script in the future, but took his version to the studio apparently without consulting her.

The enraged Kim withdrew from the project and later posted a note on her Web site that read, "I've been stabbed in the back by someone I trusted [and] have no mind to go on with my work."

Despite the turmoil, the producers have decided to adopt Im's changed version of the script. Shooting is scheduled to begin this month with the hope of bringing the film to theaters this year after only minor delays, according to Mirovision, the production company.

Second on the list of most anticipated Korean movies was The Murderer, mainly for its trio of Chaser veterans. The 2008 hit directed by Na Hong-jin and starring Ha Jung-woo and Kim Yun-seok attracted about 5 million viewers, about on par with its genre predecessor "Memories of Murder."

The Murderer tells the story of a man from Yanbian, China who is smuggled into Seoul as a contract killer to pay off his debt, but ends up threatened by another hit man.

Ha, who found his breakout role in The Chaser and confirmed his rise to stardom with the 2009 hit drama Take Off, takes the lead role opposite Kim, who has now become one of Korea's most prolific actors, appearing in such well-received films as "Running Turtle" (2009) and "The War of Flower" (2006).

Unusual for Korea, The Murderer has also drawn some Hollywood money, with its estimated production cost of 11 billion won partially paid by Fox Korea, the local branch of the Twentieth Century Fox film studio, which finalized its contribution late last year. Shooting started last month, and the finished product is scheduled to be released this summer, according to its distributor, Showbox.

"The movie will be the one in which director Na will show his real ability, a glimpse of which we got through The Chaser," predicted Kim Young-jin, a film professor at Myongji University.

A famous director is also behind the third selection on the list, Moss, helmed by the filmmaker known internationally for "Silmido" (2003) and "Public Enemy" (2002). Kang made his directorial debut in 1988, making him an "old man" of modern Korean cinema.

Moss brings together Kang's cachet with the hugely popular online graphic novel series on which it's based, drawn by Yoon Tae-ho. The cinematic adaptation, featuring well-known names including Park Hae-il, Jung Jae-young and Yoo Hae-jin, follows a young man who comes to a rural village after hearing about his father's death and later becomes embroiled in its hidden secrets.

The movie is currently in production and will hit local theaters around the first half of the year, according to the production company Cinema Service.

By Ki Sun-min, Park Sun-young [spark0320@joongang.co.kr]

• 6 months later...

10asia_logo01.gif

[iNTERVIEW] Actor Park Hae-il

10Asia Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 (Korean) 2010.07.14 | 10Asia Part 1 Part 2 (English) 2010.07.19

20100713215326_002003.jpg

When told he had not changed much appearance-wise from the days of his debut film "The Waikiki Brothers," Park Hae-il responded, "Because I'm still immature..." But the caution he showed in explaining his role as Yoo Hae-gook in film "Moss" which he had won support for by fans of the original comic even while casting was in process, and using as minimal conclusive expressions about working with director Kang Woo-suk for the film, revealed that Park was far from being the boy in "The Waikiki Brothers" who out of drunkeness, handed the score for a self-composed song to the girl he likes. It has already been nine years since then, during which he has enjoyed success from movies such as "Memories of a Murder" or "The Host," as well as leave short yet long-lasting impressions in unique productions such as "Skeletons in the Closet." In short, he has constantly grown as an actor. And that is why we predicted he has grown yet again while working on "Moss."

10: When fans of original comic "Moss" simulated casting for the movie adaptation, you were the actor that was chosen the most for the role of Yoo Hae-gook.

Park Hae-il: I think that's just in terms of my image, in other words, from a one-dimensional aspect. Once I was actually cast for the part and started doing the acting, I found out that it wasn't just all good because fitting the image and being able to act the role are different issues. I had also thought whether it could be an advantage for me but I decided that I may end up depending on it and have other thoughts so I told myself that it isn't just plain good and that there are other things I should show myself.

10: You must've really felt a desire to depend on that image.

Park: Yet at the same time, I told myself that the emotions that my character shows would be mitigated if I try to copy the expressions he puts on in the comic. Oh, and this is another thing I thought... So does this mean that no matter what I do, I would still seem like Yoo Hae-gook? But that's not true, right? That's why I had to let go of more things.

20100713215326_002008.jpg

10: Director Kang Woo-suk said he filmed the movie with the determination that he would do better than Yoon Tae-ho, the writer of the original comic. Did you in any way feel that you were competing against your character Yoo Hae-gook?

Park: With the Yoo Hae-gook from the original comic? No, I think it's a bit different. The moment I was cast as Yoo Hae-gook, I told myself that have no choice but to be a bit different from him -- from his inner sides to what he's like overall. Whether it be on the good side or the bad side, there was going to be a subtle difference. Plus, the original comic is by Yoon Tae-ho while the film is by Kang Woo-suk. So I think the Yoo Hae-gook in the movie must've been created from director Kang's perspective. I wouldn't recommend that you read the original comic beforehand because of the movie but if you do get to see both, I think you'll have fun seeing the difference between the two.

10: For example, in the scene where Hae-gook appears for the first time, the tone in the scene where he talks to prosecutor Park Min-wook (played by Yoo Jun-sang) over the phone was very different from the original comic. In the comic, it seemed like he wanted comfort for what he had done but in the movie, it seemed like he was trying to discern between the rights and the wrongs of the matter.

Park: That's what I was trying to explain. The film takes off from a minutely different point from the original comic and as the story progresses, that gap widens to create a difference in the vibe.

20100713215326_002006.jpg

10: Then how did you try to interpret your character Hae-gook?

Park: That I tried to do while talking to the director. It was a process through which we tried to set the tone for the character rather than creating him by adding something to him. My character is based on the original comic but I think the director didn't want to tell the story in the way the comic did. We tried to create a character who stood out more and was straightforward with his feelings. He explained that he wanted Hae-gook to be more active in his actions so that the tight tension or the confrontation with the villagers would stand out more.

10: It must've been much more difficult for you to explain the tenaciousness of Hae-gook in the movie compared to the comic because in the comic, everything is explained through his past.

Park: It's true that Hae-gook's past is explained very convincingly in the comic since it's 80 episodes long. And despite the fact that the running time of our movie is not that short either, I'm sure the producer didn't have an easy time reducing the narrative [from the comic]. I think he must've had to make the bold decision to cut out parts which harm the tempo of the movie even if it explains the character's past or is description and leave the narrative at a comprehendable level. But I do think that people who haven't read the comic could become curious about Hae-gook's past. In the same sense, prosecutor Park Min-wook's past was omitted a considerable amount too. And one may wonder whether to accept this as an inevitable choice because there is a difference between comics and movies or whether it should've been explained even if it means having to split up the movie into two parts. But that is up to the director to decide. I don't think it's an issue where I can say, 'I want more of my past.'

20100713215326_002005.jpg

10: But it must have not been easy for you as an actor to portray your character convincingly without having explained his profile to the audience.

Park: That's right. The villagers have definite entrances and exits in the movie and their past is shown through their reminiscing scenes which show clearly how they're feeling. So I do feel that my character lacks in that sense but does that mean the audience would've been able to become immersed with my character even more if there was more detaield explanation about him? I'm not sure which is right. I think it's something we'll be able to judge after communicating with the audience when the movie is released.

10: It seems that you went in the direction that the director pointed to but aren't the actor and director sometimes concerned about different aspects when it comes to analyzing a character?

Park: Rather than us having a difference in opinions, I think I constantly checked in advance with the director to establish my character. We would talk in advance about which direction it would be better for Hae-gook to take and the director would give me feedback. I think he made things very clear in that sense. In other words, he was saying, "Follow me."

20100713215326_002009.jpg

10: Are you usually the type that is good at following directions?

Park: I'll follow if it makes sense. And I think the director made it make sense this time. This is a director who is strong at portraying masculine and outspoken characters so I sensed that this was what the director was trying to do [with my character]... the vibe that the actor should give off in order to pull off his character rather than the detailed picture. He explained those parts clearly and I understood. Hae-gook is someone who within the movie, represents the audience's perspective, so I think I put in a lot of effort to maintain the tight tension because if I was pushed over by the villagers, so would the audience.

10: Just like you said, you have to maintain a tension with the villagers so I think having to pull off such a role as a stranger must've had an influence on the vibe on set even when the camera wasn't rolling.

Park Hae-il: Tremendously. We were filming over an extended period in the district of Muju and when we go onto the set to start shooting in the morning, Jung Jae-young would arrive at the dressing room first, starting the day by shaving his head. It almost felt like a ritual. And then I would start becoming wary of him while watching him get his make-up done which changed him into a village foreman, and then changed the look in his eyes. I also felt an immense amount of power from seeing how my senior actors would look at the conti while smoking in the shade before going into shoot, or how people would transform completely after having disappeared from the set for a while. And these are people who exude twice to three times that force about them once they actually go into shoot.

20100713215326_002007.jpg

10: Do you tend to think that you don't want to lose against them when you see that?

Park: Honestly, yes. I also think that's the characteristic of this movie. And I'm not just talking about competing against them in terms of acting but that I should hold my ground.

10: That must mean you felt emotions which almost made you almost lose your ground.

Park: I was working with seniors whom I had known in the past but had never worked with on a fim together. I was nervous about the fact that I was going to have to face each of them at least once. It actually took us a week to shoot the scene where I sneak into the house of Jeon Seok-man, the role played by actor Kim Sang-ho, then get stabbed by a gimlet and run away to the cliff. A week may sound like nothing, but when Kim was chasing me with an axe while chasing after me with magical methods of contracting space... He may look docile but he's the type that can become very scary if he has malice. I realized while shooting that scene that Hae-gook has gotten himself into an insane location and that's when I started my struggle to make it out of there.

20100713215326_002010.jpg

10: The movie showed that you must've had a hard time physically.

Park: Now that I look back on it, I think I really did have a tough time. I was sick back then although I have nothing to say should someone come up to me and tell me that actors are supposed to take care of their health. My body was aching so much that I was suspicious of whether I had caught the influenza virus. And yet in that situation, we had to close all the windows for the first scene to record real-time, so I was dripping with sweat during filming it. That's why it was even more tough. In the aforementioned scene, with actor Kim Sang-ho, my allergies kicked in while I was going up the mountain so marks that looked like I got bitten all over my body by mosquitoes appeared and they spread all the way up to my neck. I told myself I couldn't keep shooting in that state so I quickly went to the closest dermatologist and got a month's worth of medicine for it for the summer scenes but then you know how strong medicine for the skin is, right? I felt lethargic and dopey after taking it. That memory is embedded in my mind so deeply that it's to the point I could become neurotic just talking about it. I do think I somehow managed to wrap up the shoot well somehow though.

10: In part, you must feel proud about the fact that you overcame that.

Park: I want to pat myself on the back, telling myself that I had a hard time and that I managed to wrap up the shoot well, regardless of whether I did a good job or not.

20100713215326_002004.jpg

10: Then do you think you have become stronger both physically and psychologically by working on this film?

Park: A certain amount, in some ways. It'll help in my future films. It's not to the extent that it's like a turning point though -- I'm accumulating on good nourishment. It'll be helpful to me even if it isn't received well by the audience.

10: Do you think the experiences of expanding on your filmography accumulates within you.

Park: I may not be aware of it but I'm sure at least one percent of each movie is accumulated within me. Even if it may be in my subconscious. I think that has an influence on me in my life as an ordinary individual. Minutely.

20100713215326_002000.jpg

10: In that sense, which movie has had the most influence on you?

Park: It's not because it's my debut film but "The Waikiki Brothers" is a film that has a lot of significance for me. It's a movie that taught me in what sort of attitude I should tell a story to the audience. The film is ultimately about people. Realistic [stories].

10: Then could we consider such learning as you developing?

Park: I want to see for myself too. Whether that has happened. There are definitely moments from the past that I remember while working on films. It's quite amazing. Images from movies I worked on a very long time ago sometimes pop into my head without me being aware of it. I do think they come to me because they're related in some way and I think about why that happens at those moments.

10: I guess you're not the type that it that pays too much attention to such things.

Park: Then I should be going back and looking for it. But I'm not the active style.

20100713215326_002001.jpg

10: But don't you need an evaluator other than yourself if you want to see yourself develop? It's not easy to judge yourself and say, I did well. (laugh)

Park: I don't think it's absolute but I do have evaluators with objective perspectives. My best friends. I have about seven to eight friends from elementary school that I still keep in touch with. We can be ourselves completely so they tell me about my acting comfortably, in a very straightforward manner, whether I did good or bad. Of course, I sometimes feel hurt but I get over it after a drink. It's definitely not absolute but it helps a lot.

10: Then which role did your friends give you the most favorable evaluation for?

Park: They have never given me good evaluation. They always talk about the bad things. (laugh) That everyone else did great except for me.

10: But you must still feel lucky as an actor to have such people around you.

Park: I'm not too sure but I don't want to lose them.

20100713215326_002002.jpg

10: It seems that you carry on one life -- you don't distinguish between your daily life and your life as an actor.

Park: I think it's hard to, yet. There is so much power and ingredient I have gained [for my acting] through everyday experiences. And I'm not saying I'm going to act the way I do in everyday life for my acting. I'm trying to show emotions from everyday life, for example, how people in documentaries and newspaper articles live. Stories in scenarios take off from how people live so I try not to separate the two.

Reporter : Wee Geun-woo eight@

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

• 5 months later...
Guest kdramafanusa

[KBS GLOBAL]

Park Hae Il: ‘I Want to Present Diverse Acting’

[2011-01-04]

Actor Park Hae Il, who will play a character named Hui Do in the movie “Heart is Beating,” said, “My first goal is to act naturally. I might not be able to satisfy every audience, but I might need to try my best to satisfy more audiences.”

7640_2077_l.jpg

Actor Park Hae Il debuted with his appearance in the movie “Waikiki Brothers” (2001), which was directed by Im Soon Rye, and ten years have already passed since his debut. He appeared in more than twenty movies, including those works that he had appeared in as a supporting actor. He HAS ALSO transformed into various characters in those movies. He played a covertly guileful character who never reveals his intentions in movies such as “Memories of Murder” (2003), he played an immature man in the movie “The Moss” (2010), and he also transformed into a sleazy teacher when he appeared in the movie “Purpose of Love” (2005). In the movie “Heart is Beating,” which will be released on January 6, he will play a pitiful character named Hui Do, a man in his thirties who threatens his mother. Park Hae Il recently participated in an interview at a café located in Samcheongdong and said, “I did not want to play the character ‘Hui Do’ simply as if he were just a wretched fellow or by giving full vent to his feelings. Hui Do is a so-called bully and it was natural that such a person could easily vent out whatever he felt, but I did not want to play him in that way. And I am not interested in giving full vent to something. I just wanted to play him naturally.” The movie is about two characters -- Yeon Hee (Kim Yoon Jin), who struggles to cure her daughter, who has heart disease, and Hui Do (Park Hae Il), who tries to save his brain-dead mother. The heart of Hui Do’s mother can save Yeon Hee’s daughter, but he refuses to transplant his mother’s heart after being paid a huge amount of money for the operation from Yeon Hee.

7640_2078_l.jpg

Park acted with actress Kim Yoon Jin, who is actively performing in the USA by appearing in the drama “Lost,” for the first time. He has always wanted to act with her after watching her movies such as “Seven Days,” ”Harmony,” and “Shiri.” He talked about her, saying, “Even when she does not act, I can feel some energy from her. She had filmed the drama “Lost” for more than six years, and I think that she knows how to film a movie effectively. I am not certain, but I think that she might have learned something from the USA." Appearing in the movie "Heart is Beating" was a kind of challenge to him. He never acted together with actress Kim Yoon Jin, the director was a new face in the movie industry, and the character Hui Do was totally unfamiliar to him. He said, "I usually decide to appear in any work when I come to have curiosity after reading the script and when I have confidence in not regretting my acting. But sometimes I chose to appear in a work when I had a feeling of 'It is new, but I like it.' Even though the director Yoon Jae Geun was a new director, I had a good feeling from the script, so I chose this movie." Park Hae Il tends to appear in any work as long as the script is good. In early 2010, he appeared in the movie entitled "End of Animal," which was the debut full-length movie by director Cho Sung Hee, who had garnered an award at the 62nd Cannes Film Festival in the category of Cinefoundation with the short film entitled "Don't Step Out of the House." The movie "End of Animal" cost only 50 million won for its production. He said, "The script was very interesting. The movie, which has a storyline that might require 10 billion won, could be filmed with a 50 million budget. It is still amazing how the director filmed the movie at such a small cost."

7640_2079_l.jpg

Park Hae Il had appeared in theater works before director Im Soon Rye cast him for his movie. Park had made posters for four years, built the stage, and even gone out to meet investors for the play. He said, "At that time, I thought that building a set was a part of acting in a theater work, so I naturally accepted those works for my role." After he had been cast by Im, he has only focused on filming movies, and it has become the tenth year since his debut. When asked about his resolution as an actor, he answered, "The length of time I had acted is not important at all, I am just trying to present completely new acting by playing different roles. I might already have a certain pattern in my acting because I have acted for ten years, but I continuously try to get rid of those patterns. Having expertise achieved from accumulated experience is important, but the more important thing is not to depend too much on that expertise. Of course, I do not have great expertise or experience. I just ask myself questions about how I have to act. I might need to act busily to have a good answer to that question. I believe that I might be able to find the answer after undergoing trial and error."

• 9 months later...

Kim Ha-neul, Park Hae-il get top honors at Daejong Film Awards

“The Front Line” picks up Best Picture, Best Cinematography

By Claire Lee (dyc@heraldm.com) Korea Herald

2011-10-19 00:09

20111017225204439.jpg

Kim Ha-neul took home the top acting award at the 48th Daejong Film (Grand Bell) Awards on Monday for her role as a visually impaired woman in the serial-killer thriller ‘”Blind,” while Park Hae-il won for his role as a legendary archer in the epic period drama “Arrow, the Ultimate Weapon.”

The 33-year-old actress burst into tears as she accepted the honor during the awards ceremony in Sejong Center in Seoul. It was Kim’s first Best Actress award since her debut 15 years ago.

“Working on this piece very often made me feel lonely, and it felt as if I were going through a long, dark tunnel by myself,” Kim said during her acceptance speech.

“But now that I’ve gotten out of the tunnel, I realize I really wasn’t alone throughout the process. There were many people who were there for me and supported me.”

20111017234228781e7_235120_0.jpg

20111017234406787e7_235207_0.jpg

Park, who is known for his appearance in director Bong Joon-ho’s 2003 crime drama “Memories of Murder” and director Kang Woo-suk’s 2010 mystery thriller “Moss,” thanked those who watched “Arrow, the Ultimate Weapon.”

“I haven’t been nominated for an award for a while, so I really just came to this ceremony tonight to enjoy and have fun,” the 34-year-old actor said during his speech.

“I thank director Kim Han-min who drew me into the world of costume drama, as well as my fellow actors and actresses, and my wife. And my deepest thanks go to my 7.4 viewers. I will act with much enthusiasm and free spirit in my future works.”

20111017220609170.jpg

Director Jang Hun’s “The Front Line,” an action drama set during the 1951 negotiations for a military truce between North and South Korea, won four awards this year -- Best Picture, Best Cinematography, Best Lighting and Best Production.

Meanwhile, director Kang Hyung-chul won the Best Director award for “Sunny,” a high-school flick set in 1980s Seoul. The film, which was a huge box-office hit in the first half of the year, also received the Best Editing prize.

Yoon Sung-hyun, a 29-year-old director who debuted this year with his highly successful film-academy graduation project, “Bleak Night,” received the Best New Director prize. Actor Lee Je-hoon, who stars as the young protagonist in the film, received the Best New Actor prize. A deft cinematic portrait of three high school boys and their reckless passion, power struggles and twisted friendship, the film has been premiered at many international film festivals, including 2010 PIFF, 2011 Taipei Film Festival, and 2011 International Film Festival Rotterdam.

Teen actress Shim Eun-kyung, who starred as the main character in “Sunny,” received the Best Supporting Actress prize for her supporting role in another film, “Romantic Heaven.”

Shim, who had originally been nominated for the Best Actress award for her role in “Sunny,” complained publicly through her Twitter account prior to Monday’s ceremony. “They removed my name from the official list of the nominees after I notified them I cannot attend the event as I am currently studying in the U.S.,” she wrote.

As Shim did not attend the ceremony, actress Cheon Woo-hee, who appeared as Shim’s fellow classmate in “Sunny,” accepted the honor on Shim’s behalf.

The awards committee had officially released the list of the nominees on Oct. 12, and released a new one on the day of the ceremony. The new list removed one nominee from the each of the four following categories: Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress.

As a result, four actors and actresses -- Shim, Ryu Seung-ryong, Ryu Seung-beom, and Seo Young-hee -- were removed from the initial nomination.

The committee told the media that each of the four categories had six nominees, and they had to go through an extra poll to finalize the top five nominees for each. The committee members were not available for comment to The Korea Herald.

Won Bin, the winner of the Best Actor award last year for his role in “The Man from Nowhere,” received the Popularity award, while veteran actor Lee Dae-geun received the Achievement award.

Held annually by the Motion Pictures Association of Korea, the Daejong Film Awards is widely considered one of the most prestigious film awards in Korea.

Related links:

[Electric Ground] 48th Grand Bell Awards

[Dramabeans] 48th Grand Bell Awards

[Chosun Ilbo] 48th Daejong Film Awards Highlight Year's Best

[10Asia] Korean pic "The Frontline" wins top prize at 48th Daejong Film Awards

• 1 month later...

‘The Unjust’ best picture at Blue Dragon Awards

By Claire Lee (dyc@heraldm.com) Korea Herald

2011-11-27 21:10

Kim Ha-neul, Park Hae-il hailed best actress, actor

gjeunjqfxe.jpg

Director Ryu Seung-wan’s crime thriller “The Unjust” won Best Picture at the 32nd Blue Dragon Film Awards on Friday, while actress Kim Ha-neul and actor Park Hae-il received the top acting honors in a repeat of last month’s Daejong Film Awards.

An incisive portrayal of corruption and extortion of public officials surrounding a serial murder case, “The Unjust” also won Best Director and Best Screenplay.

Ryu, who was reportedly on a business trip in Berlin, did not show up to Friday’s ceremony at the Hall of Peace of Kyung Hee University in Seoul. His wife, Kang Hye-jeong, who served as producer of the film, received the honor on his behalf.

Kim Ha-neul was once again honored with the top acting prize for her role as the visually impaired woman in the serial killer thriller “Blind,” after winning the first Best Actress honor of her 15-year career at Daejong Film Awards last month. Kim was competing with Chinese heavyweight Tang Wei, who starred as a tormented prisoner in director Kim Tae-yong’s “Late Autumn,” for the prize. The two actresses hugged when Kim was announced as the winner.

“I’ve been always envious of the winners whenever attending award ceremonies,” Kim said. “Though I’ve won this award for my work in ‘Blind,’ I’d like to pay tribute to every single film that I’ve done. I learned so much by participating in all of them.”

tctwkmoumy.jpg

voaxyij4se.jpg

TNvAcL3g7o.jpg

Park Hae-il also repeated his Daejong success for his role as the heroic archer in the period drama “Arrow, the Ultimate Weapon.” Park, who is currently shooting best-selling-novel-turned-drama “Eungyo,” took off his hat and revealed his shaved head for the part during his acceptance speech. In the upcoming movie, Park plays a poet in his 70s.

“I am working on my upcoming film, which is just going to be amazing,” Park said. “I am working on the piece bearing 10 hours of make up every day. Being an actor isn’t an easy job, and I take this prize as a reward for such hardships.”

oAcfkBzClv.jpg

kfY7VuTHNf.jpg

ocDHtiTiR0.jpg

zRAKTomihb.jpg

Ryu Seung-ryong and Moon Chae-won won Best Supporting Actor and Best New Actress, also for “Arrow, the Ultimate Weapon.” The film also picked up Best Tech and Box Office, winning the most awards this year.

Veteran actress Kim Soo-mi won Best Supporting Actress for her role in “Late Blossom.”

Yoon Sung-hyun, a 29-year-old director who debuted this year with his highly successful film-academy graduation project, “Bleak Night,” received the Best New Director prize.

Actor Lee Je-hoon, who stars as the young protagonist in Yoon’s film, received the Best New Actor prize. A deft cinematic portrait of three high school boys and their twisted friendship, “Bleak Night” has been premiered at many international film festivals, including 2010 PIFF, 2011 Taipei Film Festival and 2011 International Film Festival Rotterdam.

Both Yoon and Lee won the same prizes at Daejong Film Awards last month.

Meanwhile, young director Yang Hyo-joo won the Best Short Film prize for her final school project and Berlinale-winning short “Broken Night.”

ndcz9o1dpb.jpg

egayrl8b0b.jpg

PTrOMBVR1u.jpg

Related links:

[Dramabeans] 2011 Blue Dragon Film Awards

[Chosun Ilbo] Today's Photo: November 26, 2011

• 4 months later...

March 27, 2012

Park Hae-il back on the big screen as poet

By Claire Lee (dyc@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

Film based on Park Bum-shin’s novel ‘Eungyo’ tells of 70-year-old poet who falls in love with teen

It took nearly eight hours of putting on makeup every day, on top of learning the weary gait and gesture of a man in his 70s.

Popular actor Park Hae-il, who swept best actor prizes last year for his role as the heroic archer in period drama “Arrow, the Ultimate Weapon,” is returning to the big screen as a renowned poet in his 70s in director Jung Ji-woo’s upcoming sensual drama “Eungyo.”

A film adaptation of celebrated author Park Bum-shin’s sensational novel of the same title, “Eungyo” tells the story of an old poet who ends up falling for a 17-year-old girl named Eun-gyo. Upon realizing his love for the teenager, the poet goes through emotional turmoil and self-destruction, while willing to give up his fame as one of the nation’s most respected literary figures.

“It was certainly a challenge,” the 35-year-old actor said during a press conference on Tuesday.

20120327000932_0.jpg

A scene from director Jung Ji-woo’s upcoming film, “Eungyo.” (Lotte Entertainment)

“It would’ve been easier if the character were in his 40s at least. Director Jung and I talked a lot throughout the process. I made visits to Pagoda Park and had random chats with the elderly men in the area. But I didn’t really want to imitate anyone. I did everything I could to play the character. Honestly I’m a little nervous about what the viewers will say about my performance.”

Jung, who is best known for his 1999 crime-of-passion drama “Happy End,” is making a comeback with this film as well. The director said he chose Park for the role, instead of an older actor, for a specific reason.

“This movie deals with what it is like to age, and what it is like to want something when you’ve lost your youth,” he said.

“I thought that the theme would be delivered more effectively when such a role is given to an actor who is much younger.”

Some 20 of Park’s books have been made into films and TV dramas.

“I’ve never been this excited for a film adaptation of my work,” the author reportedly said according to the film’s promotion agency. “I’m thrilled because this novel is based on my own personal thoughts as I grew older. It’s a very special piece of mine, and I trusted director Jung’s caliber of delving into human psychology and desire.”

Park visited the film crew twice during the production of the movie, and presented autographed copies of his novel to the leading actors and actresses, the agency said. The upcoming film is being released following the box-office success of “Howling,” and “Hwacha,” which are adaptations of Japanese best-selling novels.

Meanwhile, actress Kim Go-eun, who is playing the innocent yet sensual Eun-gyo, is making her film debut with the upcoming drama. She was chosen among some 300 actresses who auditioned for the role.

The 21-year-old actress is already being compared to the Cannes-winning actress Jeon Do-yeon, who received highly acclaimed reviews for her performance in director Jung’s earlier work, “Happy End.”

“It took a lot of courage to play this role,” Kim said. “I’d read the novel long before I decided to try out for the movie. I don’t necessarily understand everything that Eun-gyo does, so it was a challenge.”

A Lotte Entertainment release, “Eungyo” opens in theaters on April 26.