[Drama 2009] Queen Seon Deok 선덕여왕

Guest White Star

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sung Yuri Confirmed as Queen Seondeok

starnews_Random_20081125094110268b6.jpg

After failing to get Lee Young Ae or Go Hyun Jung, MBC have casted Sung Yuri as Queen Seondeok in their large-scale saeguk drama Queen Seondeok.

MBC announced today, "The leading protagonist, Princess Deokman will be played by Sung Yuri. That's confirmed and we have only the pay, etc left to discuss." Queen Seondeok is the biography of Deokman who was Queen of Silla, one of the Three Kingdoms of Korea and it's first reigning queen.

Sung Yuri will be casted as Princess Deokman who was the eldest daughter of King Jinpyeong. The charismatic Princess Deokman lived in a era of conflict with Shilla embroiled in continual wars with it's neighbours, Goguryeo and in particular Baekje. As King Jinpyeong did not have any sons, he decided on Princess Deokman as his successor and eventually became Queen Seondeok.

Go Hyun Jung was originally casted for Queen Seondeok but she was eventually picked for another role, Mi Shil, a court lady who will have many scenes opposite Sung Yuri. Mi Shil is a woman who has a great desire for power and had serviced 3 kings in the past, becoming a prominent figure in Shilla history.

Although Sung Yuri has taken on period dramas before like SBS Thousand Years of Love and KBS Hong Gil Dong, this is her first-ever traditional saeguk drama. This will be a big test for her as she has to act as a young Princess Deokman before becoming Queen Seondeok which will span generations.

The 50 episode Queen Seondeok will go on air in the earlier half of 2009.

source: coolsmurf

Guest selvaspeedy

Sung Yuri squares off with Go Hyun-jung

source: dramabeans

sungyuri_43.jpg

Hm, this strikes me as weird casting. (Anyone else think so?)

Go Hyun-jung has already been cast as one of the two main female leads in next year’s large-scale sageuk production of Queen Seon-deok. She’d originally been cast as Queen Seon-deok (or rather, Princess Deok-man who becomes Queen Seon-deok), but her role was shifted over to the other female lead. And now Seon-deok goes to… Sung Yuri??

I have not been a fan of Sung Yuri’s acting in the past (Snow Queen, Prince’s First Love), but she did do a good job as lovable, goofy Enok in Hong Gil Dong. However, that was a fusion sageuk and a comedy, so off-kilter acting actually suited her, because it covered up her weak spots and allowed her to get a few good crying scenes (without maintaining that level of intensity throughout). It was a good fit for her. Plus she had chemistry with Kang Ji-hwan, which always helps.

Despite Sung’s improvements, however, nobody — and I mean nobody — could confuse her for Go Hyun-jung, and this sets up the role for some obvious comparisons. (It means somebody thought, “Well, Go Hyun-jung was going to be Queen Seon-deok. Who can we cast instead? Oh, I know! Sung Yuri!”) Only you can’t compare Sung to Go, no way. Had Go retired for good, like, say, her ’90s contemporary Shim Eun-ha, she’d probably currently have a similar reputation as one of Korea’s best actresses of recent years. (Well, she already has that rep, but retiring early always adds a little sheen to fame.)

Well, I won’t rule Sung Yuri out completely. But I think Chae Shi-ra’s Empress Cheon-chu just edged ahead of Seon-deok and Princess Ja-myung in the “sageuks starring famous actresses in richard simmons-kicking rulership roles” category.

Queen Seon-deok is being planned for 50 episodes and will broadcast early next year.

Via Star News

http://www.dramabeans.com/2008/11/sung-yur...h-go-hyun-jung/

Guest selvaspeedy

Sung Yuri Plays ‘Queen Sun Duk’

source: hanfever

sung_yu_ri1.jpg

After previous speculations of Lee Young Ae and Go Hyun Jung have fallen through, the role of Queen Sun Duk has now been finalized to be played by Sung Yuri.

MBC announced on the 25th morning: “It has been confirmed that Sung Yuri will play the role of Queen Sun Duk and we are currently in the process of finalizing the details.”

Sung Yuri will play as Princess Duk Man, the eldest daughter of Silla’s King Jin Pyung. Possessing an extraordinary charm and wit, she eventually became the first Queen (ruler) in the Korean history despite her being in the war-torn Korean Three Kingdoms Era (Goguryeo, BaekJae and Silla).

Sung Yuri will be collaborating with Go Hyun Jung who will play the role of Mi Shil. Mi Shil is a beautiful woman who hungers for power. She was also the assistant for 3 previous kings.

Although Sung Yuri has played historical roles in “Thousand Years of Love” and “Hong Gil Dong” but this is her first time challenging a true historical drama. Sung Yuri will play the life of Queen Sun Duk, from young till old. As the timeline is wide, Sung Yuri’s involvement has attracted the attention of manyu viewers.

“Queen Sun Duk” will have a total of 50 episodes and is scheduled to air in the first half of 2009.

Source: StarNews

http://www.hanfever.com/2008/11/25/sung-yu...-queen-sun-duk/

Guest Yin_Ying

Well...

I'm happy that Yuri is comeback eith other saeguk dramas...

And i don't know why people in drama beans was judge her very badly...

The first series I saw her is HGD...

And I love with her character in HGD...

I think it's a pretty good, and I love her chemistry with Kang Ji Hwan...

:rolleyes:

Guest always_bb

I"m super happy Yuri's taking this role!

she suits ancient roles like this.. EX: HGD!

She was super great/ funny/ everything in

that drama! I totally adore her. I'm so

excited about this series. She is the main

lead right???!!!! I hope the male lead won't

dissapoint me!

Well who cares 'bout your opinion, everyone develops everytime they try something new you'll never get to know your limits if you don't try.

And since it hasn't been filmed you can't comment about anything, previous roles are totally different.

So just wait and watch. after its over then speak freely whatever you want

Wow.. SungYuri paired up with GoHyunJung? What an unlikely combination.. SungYuri has improved a lot since her acting debut, but she certainly doesn't have the acting chops to be in such a heavy sageuk drama. Sageuk dramas are incredibly difficult even for veteran actors/actresses.

I think her being written as the "lead" is misleading. I'm sure that it would be GoHyunJung who's the lead, or else it's screwed up. And how will they be "rivals" with such a huge age gap between them?

oh sorry, my post above was to comment this quoted one

Guest supErnova1114

Oh, I can't wait! :w00t:

I LOVE SungYuRi, she's a really gorgeous and talented actress :D

I wonder who will be the male casts, and what roles they will take on?

Congrats to SYR for being casted as the MAIN LEAD in this drama. I've been waiting to hear her next project. I wonder who will be the male counterparts in this drama.

I have to buy another hard disk for this 50 ep drama. I think this will be the 2nd or 3rd drama that I'm willing to download in HQ. :) I love SYR that's why I'm so excited to her in another drama. I have watched all her dramas. Since the first time I saw her in Thousand years of love and Prince's first love, I have been following her. I admire her face. Cute and so youthful looking.

Guest avicenna

the coming back of yu ri...as much as I am happy for her come back ....but I think she is not fit to be in historical drama as princess... I did not thought like this until I watched her in the drama "1000 years of luv" along with So Ji Sub...

I was like, sung yu ri is more fit to romance comedy roles but not the dramatic romance ones....

if they chose Lee young ae ... woooow, the show will be perfect, her role in Jewel in the palace was amazing and above all words... she is great....

as much as i like yu ri, but some roles does not fit her and in contrary they, as one of the members here said, reveal her weak points ...

regarding the other female actress, Go Hyun Jung, i did not watch any of her works so i can not judge her..

any how, i wish all the actress the best, i expect the best from MBC as usual, i hope this does result in disappointment...

and if i understood the situation correct, the lead role was for Go Hyun Jung then they put her aside and replace her with sung yu ri ??? if that's the case, it is really cruel and unprofessional ...they should not have announced it untill they confirm what they want exactly...they would've nominated her instead of giving her the confirmation ...i think yu ri will fit more as the rival one... with the bad personality like in "snow queen"...

Agoo, Myeong Se Bin.... tsk tsk..

in such a important big role.... The production team might be rushing to choose the role of queen Seon Deok...

i m expecting another better... :sweatingbullets: why not Lee Na Young ?

Archived