Jo Jae Hyun 조재현

Guest huangsy

September 6, 2016

New movie 'A Break Alone'

New movie 'A Break Alone'

The stars of the new movie "A Break Alone" -- Jo Jae-hyun, Yoon Joo, Park Hyuk-kwon and Lee Jun-hyuk (L to R) -- pose for a photo during a publicity event in Seoul on Sept. 6, 2016. The movie, which tells the story of a married middle-aged man who can't get over a woman from his past, will be released in South Korea on Sept. 22. (Yonhap) (END)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

January 25, 2018

Medical thriller 'Cross' crosses between good and evil, legal and illegal

By Woo Jae-yeon

SEOUL, Jan. 25 (Yonhap) -- A young boy is determined to become a doctor. His ulterior motive is, however, chilling. For him, it is not about healing people but killing someone. This shocking and controversial story will be featured in the new TV series "Cross" on cable network tvN.

"It was very interesting to read (in the script) about... a doctor, supposed to save lives, being in the position of easily destroying them," the producer Shin Yong-hui told reporters during a media briefing in Seoul on Thursday.

"Having said that, the story is more about the relationship between the protagonist and people around him who have a positive influence over him and slowly change him than about the sensational subjects of revenge or illegal organ transplantation."

Actor Go Kyung-pyo (L) poses with actor Cho Jae-hyun for photos at a press briefing for the new TV series "Cross" on tvN in Seoul on Jan. 25, 2018. (Yonhap)

Actor Go Kyung-pyo (L) poses with actor Cho Jae-hyun for photos at a press briefing for the new TV series "Cross" on tvN in Seoul on Jan. 25, 2018. (Yonhap)

The story revolves around the doctor Kang In-kyu, played by Go Kyung-pyo, who sets his mind to becoming a doctor to avenge the murder of his father and the death of his sister.

After an accident, he acquires sudden savant syndrome, which gives him extraordinary visual capabilities. He excels in medical school and studies hard to find a way not only to heal patients but also to secretly and "legally" kill them.

One day, he applies for a job at the prison where his father's killer is locked up. Go gets an inch nearer to his dream of taking vengeance on the killer, a chilling mission he has dreamed of for 15 years.

Veteran actor Cho Jae-hyun plays the role of exemplary doctor Koh Jung-hun, director at an organ transplant center. Once close to Kang, Koh is forced to square off with Kang, who shuts himself off and sets out to take revenge.

A poster for "Cross" provided by tvN (Yonhap)

A poster for "Cross" provided by tvN (Yonhap)

As organ transplantation is a fresh subject on South Korean TV, the producer said the team has listened to quite a few medical professionals to depict more realistic stories.

"Social awareness about organ donation, especially cornea donation, is still very poor. I myself signed up for cornea donation five years ago," said the actor Cho. "I hope our drama serves as a chance to call more attention to the subject."

The drama also features the story of an organ transplant coordinator, a very rare profession in the country. Actress Jeon So-min plays the character Koh Ji-in, daughter of Koh. Unfamiliar with the job herself, Jeon said she studied the profession by looking up stories about a real-life coordinator.

"The main character chooses to fulfill his duty of saving lives in the end. It touched my heart," the producer said.

The drama is set to premiere at 9:30 p.m. on Monday.

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr

January 28, 2018

‘Cross’ to bring attention to organ transplantations

Setting itself apart from other medical dramas, tvN’s “Cross” deals with the subject of organ transplantation, hoping that viewers come to recognize the importance of the issue. 

Medical dramas have become a popular fixture on Korean TV, many portraying the strenuous lives of surgeons. But there has not been a drama that speaks of organ transplantation, as the subject itself is still unfamiliar to the public. 

A new Monday-Tuesday drama series “Cross” -- featuring actors Cho Jae-hyun and Go Kyung-pyo and actress Jeon So-min -- hopes to shed light onto the topic of organ donation. 

“While organ donation is very much needed in society, people do not know of its importance. I hope that the public can be more aware of it through the drama,” director Shin Yong-hui said, at a media briefing that took place Thursday at Times Square mall in western Seoul.

The cast of “Cross” poses for photos at a media briefing held in Yeongdeungpo-gu in Seoul, Thursday. From left are Go Kyung-pyo, Jeon So-min and Cho Jae-hyun. (tvN)

Traditionally, Koreans viewed it immoral to damage the body of the deceased, and many are uncomfortable about agreeing to organ donations. Even cremation has not had a long history in Korea.

As of 2016, a total of 573 people had their organs donated after their deaths, allowing for 2,306 transplants, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

The numbers are gradually increasing, but are still insufficient, when compared with the patients waiting for organ transplants. Based on 2015 research by the state organization, a patient has to wait 1,185 days on average for an organ donation. 

Actor Cho, who portrays a doctor who works at an organ transplantation center, hopes that more people recognize the importance of organ donation. 

“I myself signed up for cornea donation five years ago. Those who cannot see can have their sight back, if they find the right cornea,” he said. “It would be nice if the drama could draw more attention to the subject.”

In the drama, Jeon, who has come to fame through SBS’ “Running Man,” plays the role of a transplant coordinator.

“The profession was unfamiliar to me. I looked up interviews with Korea’s first organ transplant coordinator, studying more about the job,” she said. 

The story centers on a talented doctor, played by Go Kyung-pyo, who practices medicine as a way to get access to the jailed murderer of his father and sister, in order to exact revenge. He acquires sudden savant syndrome in an accident and is consequently able to see things in microscopic detail. But Go emphasizes that his role is not that of a psychic with superpowers. 

“There aren’t any actual of cases of savant syndrome shown involving vision. It’s a fictional set-up,” he said. “But what we want is not supernatural powers. We are actually scaling down my character’s capability as we shoot as we are worried that it could be too much.” 

“Cross” is the latest in tvN’s output of genre-dramas, succeeding its previous hit series “Stranger” and “Signal.” Producer Shin was well-received with his last genre-drama “Tunnel,” based on a time-travelling theme. 

“Medical dramas require excessive studying and preparation as it is a professional field. Many experts advised us,” director Shin said. “I was concerned about how a genre-drama can be viewed more comfortably by the public,” he said. “But as always, it’s the viewer’s choice.”

The new drama show is to air its first episode Monday at 9:30 p.m.

By Im Eun-byel (silverstar@heraldcorp.com

Archived