[THE OFFICIAL] IU 아이유 Thread

akinahana89

In the recent concert in Hong Kong, IU surprised her fans by singing a Cantonese song. The pronounications were difficult even for the locals.  IU was praised for her commitment in satisfying her fans down to the very minor details.  I found these clips with Eng subtitles.  Hope our international fans can share the joy.

IU singing a Cantonese song :-

IU talked onstage afterwards :-

• Like 2

I bought Chat-Shire about a week after it came out.  There was little in the way of translations (still not complete) so when the controversy about Zeze happened, I could not comment.  After 1theK released a subtitle, I read it over, and as far as I am concerned, the lyrics have no real problem.  It is a matter of what you want to believe about it.

As for the rest of the presentation (the drawing of Zeze -- which she did not do, and the performance), I have not seen anything that offends me.  She has been very open about the fact that she is an adult and is going to present herself as such more in the future.  She also said that she understands that as time goes on, some fans will drop away from her.

As for the Britney Spears "sampling" I do not expect that it will come to anything.  If it happened at all, it was pretty insignificant.  In fact, there has been no confirmation of it yet.  It could have been someone else who just sounded like that.

I like the album.  I think it is one she will be proud of for years to come.

Digression:  Living in Toronto, there is no "official" distribution of K-Pop hard copies.  As far as I know, the best I can get is "grey market" (discs that were legally bought in their original distribution areas, but then brought to Toronto and re-sold).  I have not checked all my various discs but I think mostly my K-Pop comes from Taiwan or Japan.  My "Chat-Shire" is a "real Korean" package.  I grinned a bit when I saw that.

IU talking about the album:

"[ENG SUB] 151024 #IU COMEBACK LIVE TALK - V app - FULL"

A Cover:

"Twenty Three스물셋 - IU (아이유) ( English cover by Anh Le)"

Older Stuff:

These might have been posted before.  If they have been, I will remove them later to avoid duplication.

Interview at the 7th Ann Fan Meet:

"[Eng Sub][SG♥IU] 150920 IU 아이유 Debut 7th Anniversary Fanmeeting - BunnyU~~"

Older Radio Show:

"[Eng Sub][SG♥IU] 131023 IU 아이유 on 장기하 Jang Giha’s Grand Radio Part 2"

Edited by buckwheat01
2015-12-20 fixed the links.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've also been really feeling IU's 'Chat-Shire' album lately. Despite the controversies, I genuinely think it's got a lot of creativity and differentiating aspects compared to your typical kpop album over-saturated with EDM and synthpop these days. I for one really hope that artists like IU can help bring some more fresh sounds to the kpop industry and that others can be more forgiving of her courage to try new things -- even if it's not always perfect.

I recently wrote a review of the entire album @Funcurve and finally worked up the courage to share it here :P. I hope others will find it useful and like it. Any feedback and comments are welcome and will help me improve as a writer! :)

IU – ‘Chat-Shire’ Album Review:

http://funcurve.com/music/iu-chat-shire-album-review/

Edited by angelbless518
  • Like 2

IU GQ INTERVIEW

Don’t you get annoyed when people describe you as something you’re not?
It would be a lie if I say I don’t feel that way at all, but graudally, I don’t feel that way so much anymore. My way of thinking has changed. Could it be considered a misunderstanding? I mean, ‘If the person sees me that way, then let it be.’ I listen to what people say at both extreme ends. I guess that’s the same for other celebrities. Since there’s only one of me and so many people perceiving me in different ways.

Have you ever heard someone say such things to you directly (describing you as something you’re not)?
Someone told me that he/she likes me. Reason being I’m clever in the way I behave. Because I’m clever and shrewd. The person likes me because I’m shrewd. Then someone else would say they like me. Reason being I don’t think too deeply and just say what I think. Then someone would say they don’t like me. Because I’m shrewd and manipulative. Then someone else would say they don’t like me because I’m dumb. So actually there’s no way for good and bad points to be in sync. I have no choice but to simply acknowledge that all of that seems to be me. If I want everyone to like me, how should I behave? That’s impossible, isn’t it?

Have you perhaps read your past interviews before?
If I happen to come across past interviews, sometimes they feel really strange and unfamiliar to me. ‘Oh, I thought that way?’ So I’m always careful about what I say in interviews. That’s the way it was when it was recorded then, but a few days later, I might think completely differently. Leaving a record can be a scary thing.

In 2010, you did an interview with GQ magazine at the age of 18. We asked you then, ‘When do you feel at ease?’
Haha I don’t remember.

You replied then, ‘Well, maybe if I go past the age of 20?’
That’s right! Haha. That’s really, ah, that’s funny. Gosh, I said I would feel more at ease when I go past the age of 20? Gosh, I was such a kid.. That’s how I felt then. Wah.

The last question was, ‘Are you going to stick only to stage (performances)?’ and you replied then, ‘Ah, I thought of something else. The dark blue sky when the sun sets and just before it turns completely dark. The night sky at around 8:30pm these days. When I see that, my heart opens widely. That’s how acoustic music feels to me too.’
That’s really similar. I’m still like that.

We’d like to ask you a bit more. What do you do to be able to have time for that? Because to be able to watch the sky at a time we like best, there’s usually some effort required. 
These days, time flies without me knowing… I think that’s for the best. I have a stronger feeling of boredom than others. I’m the kind that’s desensitised to stimulation. Be it something dangerous, something physically dangerous too, I’m not very sensitive to it. Even circumstances whereby it’s obvious I’m going to get into an accident, or when I’m going to get injured, the people around me would be really shocked, but I would be less shocked. So I’ve never felt ‘That’s super fun!’ I don’t have any hobby either.

It’s unexpected that you don’t have a hobby.
Most of the time, the day feels really long to me. ‘Gosh, I slept in and woke up at 1pm, I’ve done this and that now, but it’s not even 3pm yet…’ I’ve often spent my days like that. But sometimes, without me knowing, a whole 6 hours can just pass by. I feel really good then. I really love times like that.

What were you doing that time passed by so quickly?
Usually when I’m composing songs, time passes by so quickly. When I’m focused, it seems time just passes by quickly. But there’s not many things that I love doing as much as the level of focus I give them. I really don’t havea hobby, haha. I thought I would have one as I grew older. I thought I would have one once I passed the age of 20, but I don’t seem to have one.

Isn’t a hobby something you do to get rid of stress? Even things like going for walks.
It doesn’t really accumulate much though. I see it as both a positive and negative thing about me. It just vanishes right away. The bad, the good and my memories too.

Do you still write in your diary? Daily?
I started writing since my 2nd year in middle school, so it’s my 9th year I think? If I don’t write in my diary, I feel really uncomfortable. Even if it’s one thing, I feel that I need to leave proof of my existence each day so that I can sleep peacefully. While writing my diary, I think without my knowing, I get rid of some of that stress too. I write about all sorts of stuff. I write about my dreams, I swear, and even doodle meaninglessly.

Do you remember what you wrote about yesterday?
Yesterday? I remember the one the day before yesterday, hold on. What did I write about? Um… Hold on.

Due to the ‘Zeze’ controversy, there’s been a lot of talk right? How do you feel seeing the many awful things they say and sometimes the deep and lengthy things they write?
Lots of thoughts came to mind. I saw a lot and thought a lot as well. There’s always been criticism and swear words that are unrelated to the issue, so I’ll leave that part aside, but I saw some posts that were amazingly logical. Within that, there were both criticisms and replies in defence. Seeing the discussions arising from this song, the many opinions about it and the topic of the discussion gradually widening in scope, honestly, I felt grateful. Amidst the noise judging me as a ‘person’, to the people who were calmly focusing on the ‘issue’ at hand and politely voicing their thoughts about it, whether they were criticisms or replies in defence, no matter what, I’m thankful for that. Thankful and startled and thought it was really cool. Being at the centre of it all, I was starting to feel a bit awkward/embarrassed. When interpreting a song, you don’t want to come to a conclusion that ‘that is correct and this is wrong’. To me, my freedom is important, so to maintain that, I think I should allow others to have their freedom to interpret. Just like before I released the album, I still like this song. If someone doesn’t like me as a person just because of the lyrics in ‘Zeze’, I’ll wholly accept that. Since that person’s interpretation and that person’s feelings clearly exist. But it’s not good to draw conclusions about me being paedophilic. I think there’s a need to separate one’s interpretation of a song and their criticism towards a person.

Aren’t you just like ‘Zeze’ (in the story)? Based on what you said just now, as you’re shrewd and clever, you’re loved and hated, as you’re insensitive and act before you think, you’re loved and hated; the talk about 23-year-old IU seems to go back and forth. 
Some people feel that way, but some people feel, ‘I don’t know’ as well. No one has the right to tell someone else that their way of thinking is wrong, since you can’t force anyone to interpret things in just one way. I can’t impose or block my thoughts from others either. That’s what I think.

When did we argue over the lyrics? We have fun dissecting the lyrics, what’s supposed to mean what.
I didn’t expect myself to touch on this topic during today’s interview. That’s something I keep struggling with. I keep talking to people too. Those whom I feel have always been right in their judgement, saying things like, “Here’s what I think, but if I’m wrong, please tell me so”.

What kind of advice do they give you then?
Like what I said, there are some people who would tell me what they think, while some would feel that anyway I’m dealing with dangerous stuff. I keep thinking this way. If I do get the chance to talk about this, I’ll entrust it to the freedom for interpretation. Since the freedom for interpretation is important to the person and to me as well.

No matter what you say, you’ll have antis. Since there’ll always be misunderstandings.
Leaving behind the talk about liking me, disliking me, liking the song, disliking the song, this is the right way to think, that’s the wrong way to think, there have been people who were hurt by the topic itself this time. To those people, rather than explaining my intentions and the parts they misunderstood, I would just like to apologise.

It’s tiring right?
Strength is something like this to me. When you want it, you don’t have it and when you don’t want it, you have it again. We just need to live on no matter what. So I don’t worry too much about lacking strength. When I have strength, anyway the state of being strong is more tiring. But when you lack strength, there’s nothing you’re able to do. Some people say “it can’t be helped if you lack the strength”, but if you have a lot of strength and it’s not the kind of strength you want, you’ll be in even more agony. 

If someone were to give you a gift of 5 days?
No matter how I spend it, 5 days won’t mean much.

Then how would you spend it?
I want to fall into a deep sleep.

Throughout the 5 days? 
A really deep sleep. When I wake up, I’ll go, ‘Uwah, my mind is clear and I feel so energetic like I’m reborn!” I think it would be great to go into a deep sleep for 5 days.

I’ll ask you again then, how was 2015 for you?
Good times when I reflect back. They really were.

CUbJBC2VEAIYT_F.jpg

CUlGIyPUcAAJQcd.png

CUaknLAUYAA-pZY.jpg

Edited by kibummiexx
  • Like 1

As 2015 is coming to an end this seems to be IU's concert season.  If you look at the Infinity Challenge Music Festival as a sort of "warm-up" for her, it started back in August, and now in November she is into her own concert.

I have not checked yet but I expect that videos from her concerts will start showing up shortly on YouTube and elsewhere.  I am looking forward to seeing them.

In the mean time, it appears that no one posted the whole of the Infinity Challenge concert (IU's performances were posted, but no link was provided for the whole concert).  I really liked the whole concert, and I think seeing it all shows that it was a really big one, and quite an honour for IU to participate.

"Infinity Challenge Ep. 442 [IC Song Festival episode]"

http://kshowonline.com/kshow/3847-[engsub]-infinity-challenge-ep.442

I think I saw a music video the other day (probably the new EXID video, but I am not certain) with one of the girls having one blue eye and one brown eye (like IU in the photos where she is wrapped up in the purple ribbon).  Is that a fashion trend or something?

• Like 1

I've also been really feeling IU's 'Chat-Shire' album lately. . . .

I recently wrote a review of the entire album @Funcurve and finally worked up the courage to share it here :P. I hope others will find it useful and like it. Any feedback and comments are welcome and will help me improve as a writer! :)

I read your review.  I do not necessarily agree or disagree with any particular point, but I felt you did a good job,  You made a good attempt at a fair appraisal.

Actually, now that I think about it,  Lately, because I paid so much attention to Zeze, I am finding it has become an "ear worm" for me.  [For those who have never ran into this term, it means the song is playing in my head constantly.]  I think otherwise, I like most of the songs about equally.  I like the album version of 23 more than the "Producers" version (if you consider them the same song).  I still like Heart.

• Like 2

I've also been really feeling IU's 'Chat-Shire' album lately. . . .

I read your review.  I do not necessarily agree or disagree with any particular point, but I felt you did a good job,  You made a good attempt at a fair appraisal.

Actually, now that I think about it,  Lately, because I paid so much attention to Zeze, I am finding it has become an "ear worm" for me.  [For those who have never ran into this term, it means the song is playing in my head constantly.]  I think otherwise, I like most of the songs about equally.  I like the album version of 23 more than the "Producers" version (if you consider them the same song).  I still like Heart.

Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciated it. I do my best to try to be fair and not let the sensationalized media get to my head. But at the same time I realize that everyone's music taste and preferences are different so I definitely don't expect everyone to agree. More to come! :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It is good to see that the fancam concert clips are starting to show up.  Some were online as early as 4 weeks ago (as I write this).  I did not find them before today because I searched directly under "IU" and YouTube did not look for the upload date.  In some ways I am not very good at finding things when I want too.  Anyway, here are a couple that I like so far:

"151121 전국투어 콘서트 (CHAT-SHIRE) 아이유 직캠 1. 앵앵콘 마음"

"151121 nationwide concert tour (CHAT-SHIRE) IU jikkaem 1. Cone mind aengaeng"
"Heart" w/sing-along
by "theiu930516"

"151121 전국투어 콘서트 (CHAT-SHIRE) 아이유(IU) 직캠 앵콘 비밀"
"151121 nationwide concert tour (CHAT-SHIRE) IU (IU) jikkaem encore secret"

by "theiu930516"

Edited by buckwheat01
2015-12-22 translated titles w/Google
  • Like 2

A couple more Vids from the Chat-Shire concerts:

"[4K] 151213 아이유(IU) '미리메리크리스마스' 라이브 직캠 @아이유 전국투어 콘서트〈CHAT-SHIRE〉-광주 앵앵콜"

"20151213 IU, 'Merry Christmas In Advance' Live @Concert tour ‘Chat-Shire’"

by "dorappi2000"

"151213 아이유 전국투어 CHAT-SHIRE 광주콘서트 - 좋은날 4k by Eplica"
"Good Day", w/3 notes

by "eplica la"

• Like 1

On 11/16/2015 at 6:18 PM, buckwheat01 said:

I bought Chat-Shire about a week after it came out.  There was little in the way of translations (still not complete) so when the controversy about Zeze happened, I could not comment.  After 1theK released a subtitle, I read it over, and as far as I am concerned, the lyrics have no real problem.  It is a matter of what you want to believe about it.

As for the rest of the presentation (the drawing of Zeze -- which she did not do, and the performance), I have not seen anything that offends me.  She has been very open about the fact that she is an adult and is going to present herself as such more in the future.  She also said that she understands that as time goes on, some fans will drop away from her.

As for the Britney Spears "sampling" I do not expect that it will come to anything.  If it happened at all, it was pretty insignificant.  In fact, there has been no confirmation of it yet.  It could have been someone else who just sounded like that.

I like the album.  I think it is one she will be proud of for years to come.

Digression:  Living in Toronto, there is no "official" distribution of K-Pop hard copies.  As far as I know, the best I can get is "grey market" (discs that were legally bought in their original distribution areas, but then brought to Toronto and re-sold).  I have not checked all my various discs but I think mostly my K-Pop comes from Taiwan or Japan.  My "Chat-Shire" is a "real Korean" package.  I grinned a bit when I saw that.

@buckwheat01

I've been away from this thread for far too long. Between work and being so very alarmed/pissed off/saddened about all the negative commentary regarding IU and ZeZe, it was probably best that I stayed away from the thread as then I would have subjected all of you to some really angry rants.

Am very thankful that I have come back to your very positive commentary. Also noticed that the worst of the negativity has died down during the past month. What gave me a lot of peace of mind was reading uri IU's comments from the GQ interview...thank you @kibummiexx. IU's comments were insightful and mature. Am extremely glad that the whole controversy hasn't shaken her confidence and that there is a lot she is taking away from the experience.  :D

PS Know this is off-topic (kinda)...have you all heard that IU is considering a new drama?? That's all I'll say since this isn't the right thread for that piece of news.  Looking forward to IU's projects in 2016 -- seeing what direction IU takes in her next album, and also who she decides to collaborate with next. :lol:

• Like 3

Hi guys... how are you... :)

Like Meahri I'm back to IU's Soompi thread too because of IU current news about casting in Moon Lovers. Hope to see more friends "come back home" and reunite again keke...

Here is the news for the drama. Lets playing catch up to update IU news in this thread. Thanks kibum, buckwheat to keep this thread alive :D

====

IU to Star as Female Lead in “Moon Lovers”

IU to Star as Female Lead in “Moon Lovers”

News outlets have reported that singer IU has been confirmed to star in the upcoming SBS drama “Moon Lovers.”

According to previously released reports, many actresses have shown interest in the drama. However, singer IU has been confirmed as the final female actress to star in it. As the female lead, she will be receiving attention from nine handsome actors.

IU has previously starred in KBS 2TV’s dramas “Producer” and “Beautiful Man” proving her potential as an actress. Her fans are highly anticipating her appearance in the “Moon Lovers.”

Currently, actor Kim Sung Gyoon is confirmed to appear in the drama alongside her. Other actors who are currently considering their part in the drama are actors Lee Joon Gi, Kang Ha Neul, Hong Jong Hyun, EXO’sBaekhyun, and Nam Joo Hyuk.

However, IU’s agency Loen Tree representative asserted that IU was indeed approached for the role in “Moon Lovers,” but she hasn’t reached a final decision yet. Despite this statement, it appears as though it is pretty much confirmed given how news outlets continue to tie the drama to the singer-actress.

Are you excited to see her make a drama comeback?

• Like 4

DRAMA CASTING & NEWS
IU, Ji-soo, Kim Sung-kyun for Bu Bu Jing Xin remake Moon Lovers
by girlfriday | December 28, 2015 | 121 Comments

IU_JiSoo_KimSungKyun1.jpg

We finally have a possible leading lady for Moon Lovers, the Korean drama remake of Chinese time-slip fusion sageuk Bu Bu Jing Xin. IU (The Producers) is currently entertaining an offer to headline opposite Lee Jun-ki (Scholar Who Walks the Night), in what would be her first historical drama. The singer-actress has been involved in some controversy over her latest album this past year, but I’ve always liked her in dramas and think she’d make a good time-traveling heroine who steals princes’ hearts.

The original drama is about a contemporary heroine who time-travels to the Qing dynasty and gets embroiled in a royal battle between princes. The remake will take place in early Goryeo in the time of its fourth king, Gwangjong. Both Lee Jun-ki and IU are considering the leading roles and are unconfirmed for now. Meanwhile, there are lots of other princes to be cast — nine in all — and most recently, fresh-faced heartbreaker Ji-soo (Sassy Go Go) has signed on to join the pack. Also confirmed is Kim Sung-kyun (Answer Me 1988), who will play a government official.

So far, we have on our royal roster: Lee Jun-ki, Kang Haneul (Misaeng), Hong Jong-hyun (Mama), Nam Joo-hyuk (Who Are You—School 2015), EXO idol Baekhyun, and now Ji-soo. I certainly hope that at least one or two of them get other love interests, because that’s a lot of boys for one girl, even if that’s kind of the point.

This will be Kim Sung-kyun’s first non-cable television role; he’ll play a high-ranking bureaucrat, which will likely be closer to his darker movie roles than his goofball Answer Me characters. He’s good no matter the genre, though, and has done period films in the past. Ji-soo has been cast to play the 14th son of Taejo, a prince who grew up very differently from his older brothers, and received nothing but love and affection. The character is said to be a sharp contrast from his previous roles as rebel teenagers (who break my heaaaaaart) — his prince is the cute maknae who’s playful and well-liked, and will have everyone’s love.

The remake, helmed by PD Kim Kyu-tae (It’s Okay, it’s Love) and writer Jo Yoon-young (Cinderella Man), is currently being considered for a September 2016 broadcast on SBS. That’s not confirmed, but production will begin in January and the project will be fully pre-produced before its run.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2015/12/iu-ji-soo-kim-sung-kyun-for-bu-bu-jing-xin-remake-moon-lovers/

===

Other news about the casting

allkpop

koalasplayground

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, meahri66 said:

@edensor

Hi chingu!!!! Good to see you back on this thread!!  Looking forward to all of us catching up and cheering on uri IU!!  :lol: :D :rolleyes:

Annyeong Meahri!! :D

Good to see you too! Lets talk more here. Hope more of our friends come back so we can talk more about IU.

Can we talk about IU drama here, tho? 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, edensor said:

Annyeong Meahri!! :D

Good to see you too! Lets talk more here. Hope more of our friends come back so we can talk more about IU.

Can we talk about IU drama here, tho? 

Technically we can't discuss uri IU's dramas on this thread since there's a separate IU thread in the actor/actress section. I think we might be able to mention stuff here and there in the course of discussing her activities, but it can't be the main topic of discussion. I think our chingu @akinahana89 will be able to guide us or keep us in check if we should start to stray beyond Soompi's rules...and we can certainly ask her when in doubt. :huh:

• Like 2