[variety] Schoolympic 스쿨림픽

Guest silverwingz

I finally started watching this show, and it got canceled... D:

I saw like 5 of the episodes last weekend, and I really enjoyed it.

The version of the red light green light game they did was hilarious! XD

Well... I guess I'll just watch the other two episodes whenever then... since I don't need to catch up... :(

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest silverwingz

^ annoying, isn't it? i mean, 7 episodes!!!

i liked that game too. the words they had on the pieces of paper were funny too, like "pervert" and "stupid"... lol~

the show prolly got canceled because of the Olympics Cheering Squad scandal, as well as the low ratings... <_<

man. wtf? i didn't check this thread for a month and now i find out the show's canceled.

well, it was great while it lasted.

hopefully viewers in korea will start appreciating real variety/game shows again (hopefully real soon, grrrr!!).

MC Kang is in hot soup again . . .

November 12, 2008

Show Host Accused of Betting Big on Online Gambling

By Kim Rahn

Staff Reporter

081112_p03_show.jpg

Kang Byung-kyu

A famous television show host is suspected of having gambled habitually through an Internet gamble site, a charge he denies.

The prosecution plans to summon Kang Byung-kyu, a baseball player turned TV show host, for allegedly betting of billions of won on illegal games, the Joongang Ilbo reported Wednesday.

Kang is one of 130 people detected gambling on the site, the prosecution said adding that he sent 1.6 billion won ($1.2 million) to the site operator and was paid back 1.2 billion won ― a loss of 400 million won.

The prosecution arrested four people who set up a gambling house in the Philippines and broadcast Baccarat games live via Internet. Visitors to the site bet money on the game, earning the four 100 billion won over 18 months.

Kang's manager denied the allegation, saying he didn't even know how to play "go-stop," a popular Korean game. However, prosecutors said they had secured sufficient evidence for the charge.

Additionally, Kang has been criticized for wasting government money as the leader of a group of celebrities who went to the Beijing Olympics to cheer on the Korean team. In August, the government paid 40 celebrities to be a cheer leading squad. The 40 spent 210 million won over 10 days, lodging at five-star hotels and taking prestige class plane seats.

Kang hosts the KBS program "Vitamin," but the company said Monday that it was replacing him with another announcer. The broadcaster said the replacement was because Kang's appearance fee was too high, adding it had nothing to do with the gambling or cheering squad incidents.

Credits: rahnita@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/natio.../117_34290.html

Wondering who will be replacing him on Vitamin . . .

Guest silverwingz

wow, more dramas for Kang Byung Kyu. i hope those allegations aren't true.

i remember Shin Jung Hwan and his gambling problem...

good luck to him and his career after this.

no idea whose replacing him for Vitamin, but i do remember an article linking Song Battle & Vitamin... dunno if it's got anything to do with this tho.

no idea whose replacing him for Vitamin, but i do remember an article linking Song Battle & Vitamin... dunno if it's got anything to do with this tho.

That's Economy Vitamin which is different from Vitamin. EV is hosted by Shin Dong Yeob.

Guest silverwingz

That's Economy Vitamin which is different from Vitamin. EV is hosted by Shin Dong Yeob.

oooh... is this the Vitamin where they do those weird physical activities and talk about health related stuff?

i think i might have seen some KBS World episodes on Boo's YT channel ages ago. or was that another show..? :blink:

oooh... is this the Vitamin where they do those weird physical activities and talk about health related stuff?

i think i might have seen some KBS World episodes on Boo's YT channel ages ago. or was that another show..? :blink:

That's the one.

November 19, 2008

Show Host Kang Admits Gambling

By Kim Rahn

Staff Reporter

Television show host Kang Byung-kyu has admitted to betting billions of won in illegal online gambling. Prosecutors are considering seeking an arrest warrant for the baseball player-turned-TV show host.

Kang, 36, who had denied the accusation when the case was first disclosed, admitted to it while being questioned at the Seoul Central Prosecutors' Office late Tuesday.

Kang is suspected of having habitually gambled on an Internet site which broadcast Baccarat games live from a gambling house in the Philippines. After examination of his bank accounts, the prosecution found that Kang sent 1.6 billion won to the site operators and was paid back 1.2 billion won, losing 400 million won.

Kang told prosecutors that he bet a total of 2 billion won on the games and lost about half of it during the last few months, a prosecutor said. The prosecution will soon decide whether to request a court to issue an arrest warrant for him after investigating precisely how much he bet and how often.

Kang was one of 130 people who were detected to have gambled on the site, and prosecutors will summon the others for questioning. The prosecution arrested the operators of the gambling house, who had illegally made 100 billion won in just 18 months.

Credits: rahnita@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/natio.../117_34680.html

November 20, 2008

TV host Kang Byung-kyu admits to illegal gambling

Kang Byung-kyu, host of KBS' popular variety show "Vitamine," has admitted to illegal internet gambling. But he claims that he did not know internet gambling was illegal.

Kang (36), had initially denied gambling on an internet site that broadcasted Baccarat through a live online feed from the Philippines. But after prosecutors traced a paper trail leading to the baseball player turned presenter, Kang admitted to the charges.

He said that because the Philippine government permitted online gambling, he did not question the legitimacy of the site or his involvement.

He is reported to have gambled some 1.6 billion won ($1.1 million), with losses of 400 million won. "Kang has accepted and admitted all allegations of his involvement with the illegal gambling activities," said the Seoul Metropolitan Police narcotics and organized crime unit.

Prosecutors are now considering seeking an arrest warrant for the TV presenter.

200811200013.jpg

Kang Byung-kyu

Earlier on he and his management had denied all accusations and charges, with Kang even saying, "I do not know how to gamble." Kang is one of 130 illegal gamblers being charged for involvement with the gambling site.

According to prosecutors, his use of his real name in his account with the site may help his case. Most illegal gamblers use aliases and dummy accounts to cover up the trail leading back to them. Since Kang did not conceal his activity, they say, this could support his claim that he did not know the illegitimate nature of his activity.

Kang was in the news earlier this year. He was accused of wasting government money as the head of a group of Korean celebrities that went to the Beijing Olympics to form a cheer squad in support of Korean athletes.

The 40 participating celebrities took advantage of the unlimited expenses provided by the Culture Ministry, racking up a bill of 210 million won in 10 days, lodging at five-star hotels and flying first class, roundtrip. Kang hosted "Vitamine" for 6 seasons since 2002, but KBS has reported they are looking for a replacement.

The broadcaster denied that they were searching for the replacement because of the recent controversy surrounding Kang. Instead, the company said the decision to replace Kang was due to differences over pay.

By Song Woong-ki (kws@heraldm.com)

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/

Guest silverwingz

^ wow... just wow... o.0

flashes of Shin Jung Hwan are passing through my head at the moment. hehe~

for some reason, i believe that he didn't think it was illegal tho. he used his real name after all... good luck to him tho.

guess this show really ever had a chance, ey? so many things working against it. lol~

Guest marialolly

^ I haven't heard that one about Shin Jung Hwan's gambling problems. o.o

I'm curious what kind of problems has SJH more then that. (I know smoking, but it's his choice).

I hope that Kang Byung Kyu has a strenght of that. D:

And also, i'm going to plan for more updating Episode (Wich i like or your favourite epi's) on my YT. (As long i'm learning how to deal with it. >_<; .. ) since it's sad that no one updating school olympics since Lee Sung Jin was here and i lolled so hard. :(

Guest silverwingz

I haven't heard that one about Shin Jung Hwan's gambling problems. o.o

he was also caught gambling illegally. this was ages ago tho. he took a long break from variety shows because of it as well.

And also, i'm going to plan for more updating Episode (Wich i like or your favourite epi's) on my YT. (As long i'm learning how to deal with it. >_<; .. ) since it's sad that no one updating school olympics since Lee Sung Jin was here and i lolled so hard. :(

that's because this show has been canceled...

Guest marialolly

he was also caught gambling illegally. this was ages ago tho. he took a long break from variety shows because of it as well.

o.o .. that's very hard to believe it. D: but i know that gambling is very adicted and no fun fun! Dx

Glad that he's out of it.

that's because this show has been canceled...

I know that.. but since i uploaded it for my first time (And very struggling), i just heard suddenly that it's gonna be cancelled cause of low rates. :(

Njaa.. btw, do you have any favourite ep of this? :o

Guest silverwingz

I know that.. but since i uploaded it for my first time (And very struggling), i just heard suddenly that it's gonna be cancelled cause of low rates. :(

Njaa.. btw, do you have any favourite ep of this? :o

i don't really have a favourite episode... but all the later episodes were really good. it was only the first few that were boring.

About Shin Jung Hwan and his gamble. I don't know much of it, but when he later was on Xman (must have been that show) I remember that they were mocking him, saying "All in" (the drama) at random and very clearly indicating his problem. It was quite effective way to have him be silent for a while lol.

Guest silverwingz

About Shin Jung Hwan and his gamble. I don't know much of it, but when he later was on Xman (must have been that show) I remember that they were mocking him, saying "All in" (the drama) at random and very clearly indicating his problem. It was quite effective way to have him be silent for a while lol.

it was actually in Loveletter.

remember that game where they had to hit those sticks and say certain words in particular categories like 'english words beginning with A' or 'fish', etc... i remember there someone (probably Chun Myung Hoon) saying "ALL-IN" and pointing at Shin Jung Hwan during the 'english words beginning with A' question. hehe~

Archived