most reliable MP3 player brand?

Guest luvelyasian

Guest Kazen88

Creative is pretty good with their warranty. Free shipping and no labor charges. My friend's mp3 player wouldn't work properly one day so he sent it in to be fixed. He got it replaced in a couple of weeks.

The only problem I have with Creative is my Creative mp3 player (an ancient 40gb mp3 player from before Creative was big) sometimes decides to not work. But hey, the reset button solves that problem.

The Samsung warranty isn't bad. My T8Z broke and I called customer service (they do speak English --- they have a place in the US and all). They told me to send in my mp3 player and they'd fix it or replace it for free.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest NASRI22

I would say.. MPIO mp3 players... esp the one you wear around your neck. forgot what it was called. anyways, that was my first mp3 player, and i would sneak it out to PE and dropped it one day while running the mile--- and then i accidently kicked it onto the cement. =_=; it worked PERFECTLY fine, still, after that, only had a small scratch in teh back. yepp. ^^

ahhaahah i did that with a hard drive at work.. :ph34r: yess.. it worked perfectly fine . :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TygrrLilly

This is from my own personal experience.

I do not trust creative at ALL.

At the start of the year, i bought myself a creative micro after hearing about how good it is compared to an ipod etc.

first month, it was fine, loved it.

after that, it started to crash when using it, and the only way i could restart it was to take the battery out and put it back in, but at the time i didnt really mind.

after about another month, it got to a point where the crashing became exessivley frequent, and bam. it completely just crashed.

When trying to turn it back on, with would freeze in the "creative" screen, it wouldnt respond to any of the touchscreen pads, or the on/off button.

I tried to clean up the disk, and something about firmare, but it would just freeze as well =__="

I brought my dead mp3 player back to the store i bought it from, and they said to call creative tec. I did, and the service was really bad in my opinion. i already explained what happened, and told them what i did to try and fix the problem which didnt work, but they told me to do everything i did already again. In the end, they just said to send it back.

after about 4 weeks, i recieved a brand new creative micro, but it happened AGAIN =__=" I just got fed up, so now i dont have an mp3 player ><"

So now, i'm aiming my way for an iriver, i havnt heard anything badabout it yet, so hopefully it wont break down on me =="

The exact same thing happened with me and my micro. After a while the on/off wouldn't work or it would randomly crash. So i kept resetting it and shutting it down on idle, then it just DIED and was unresponsive. I took it back to the store, they said it was my battery (I charged the damn thing for HOURS before taking it in) so I bought a new battery, still no luck.

Guest drunkontea

does iaudio let you delete the songs off your comp w/o getting them deleted off the player?

cuz that's why i don't want to get an ipod(itunes)

any recommendations? thanks!

Get the creative microphoto, its works fine, easy to upload song and you can delete from comp without it being deleted on your player, i know i'v used ipods before and itunes is a piece of i can't read

Guest Jay Chou

i think samsung yepp and iaudio make the best flash players.

does anyone think iriver suck? their recent mp3 models are quite fugly looking.

well not that they suck, but generally they don't have any good designs like samsung yepps do.

the n10 was nice, but its so "out" already. mp3 players these days need to have at least color screens.....picture/video viewing ability is a major plus.

stay away from ipod coz everyone has them.

its not special to own one anymore.

creative is also good, but they don't have any good flash players, only good hard-drive based players.

Guest lovelee

never tried any non-apple mp3 players, really..

but what's wrong with ipod? they work brilliantly.

Guest Jay Chou

^ nothing is wrong with ipods. its just that too much people are using it, and everyone buys it because other ppl are buying it. if you want to be special, just don't buy an ipod.

Guest NASRI22

too many noobs at my school have ipods and stuff. btu they are so shocked to see my mp3player (samsung yp-d1z) .. they arel ike "WOW NICE PHONE" i'm lke "umm it's not a phone" thye are like "is it an ipod?" *sigh*.. but yeh the ipod is not really user friendly.. most of my friends come to me and ask me "how do i get music on my ipod?" and "umm how come it doesnt turn off properly because i press a button and it's back on straight away.

imo get something like a samsung YP-Z5 (thye seem to produce nice mp3players with VERY good sound quality with low distortion and a high signal to noise ratio. or maybe a iAudio or a sandisk E260. thye seem to be quite popular.

Guest Jay Chou

isnt the samsung YP-Z5 around the same price as the sandisk E series?

samsungs design owns sandisk imo, but don't know about the features though.

and basically sandisk just copied the apply scroll wheel thing lol. but they did a good job with it i suppose....with the blue led light and stuff.

btw is sandisk an american brand?

i dunno, but i would rather get a more "asian" brand lol.

pic for those who are curious:

sandisk_sansa_e260_mp3_player.jpg

does iaudio let you delete the songs off your comp w/o getting them deleted off the player?

cuz that's why i don't want to get an ipod(itunes)

any recommendations? thanks!

yes you can delete them off your comp w/o getting them deleted off the player. When you connect your iAudio to your computer, it just looks like another harddrive to your computer. So you can copy or delete whatever you want just like any other harddrive. No extra software needed.

Nothing really WRONG with an ipod. But apple's players are sorely lacking alot of features that other players have standard. The vast amount of accessories, while it's always good to have options, are unbelievably over priced. And then there's the draconian, restrictive iTunes software. Everyone's forced to use it whether they like it or not. Digital Rights Management (DRM) is no good.

On the flipside, I DO think Apple's products are easy to use. The features that they do have, they do it well. From a purely sound-quality standpoint... they're near the top, if not the best, alongside a few other players. And they do look nice... but increasingly nowadays, so are alot of others as well.

Guest lovelee

yes you can delete them off your comp w/o getting them deleted off the player. When you connect your iAudio to your computer, it just looks like another harddrive to your computer. So you can copy or delete whatever you want just like any other harddrive. No extra software needed.

Nothing really WRONG with an ipod. But apple's players are sorely lacking alot of features that other players have standard. The vast amount of accessories, while it's always good to have options, are unbelievably over priced. And then there's the draconian, restrictive iTunes software. Everyone's forced to use it whether they like it or not. Digital Rights Management (DRM) is no good.

On the flipside, I DO think Apple's products are easy to use. The features that they do have, they do it well. From a purely sound-quality standpoint... they're near the top, if not the best, alongside a few other players. And they do look nice... but increasingly nowadays, so are alot of others as well.

what other features? can you give some examples?

what other features? can you give some examples?

First I want to set the proper tone for my response. This is NOT an attack on Apple and if you read my closing paragraph I make it very clear. Rather it's simply pointing out some areas of improvement Apple can make. I want to set the right tone so there's no misunderstandings. Now onwards... :D

I'll use my iAudio G3 as an example.

well the biggest features would be the radio, all the recording options plus the codec support. There is no FM radio which is good to have whenever you're bored with all your music. On vacation or just out jogging, it's a feature that everyone else has but they don't. Of course, the FM radios are full-featured like 24 presets etc etc... but you get the point.

It's missing line-in recording which is good when you want to record anything from any other music device. Like transfering all of your vinyl records onto the computer. Or copying music from one of those copy-protected CDs if you were unlucky enough to have bought one... like those Sony CDs for instance. Recordings are done directly into the MP3 format to save space yet retain high quality. Auto-sync is a feature where the player will detect silence in between tracks and automatically create a new mp3 file for each new track on a CD.... you don't have to start and stop recordings yourself which is awesome. An external microphone is also supported for high quality voice recordings as well.

Most players have built-in mic voice recording which is extremely handy. Like if you're a student, you can use it to record all of your teachers/professor's lectures while you sleep during class :P . If you're a business person, you can record interviews and meetings for review later on. You can take voice notations. All the voice recordings are also voice activated which means it'll automatically stop recording when there's silence and then auto-start recording again when someone speaks. Recording directly into MP3 format of course.

FM radio recordings are also available. You can even tell it to record your favorite radio show at a certain time just like Tivo but for FM radio and in MP3 format of course.

And then finally most mp3 players out there like the iAudio support WMA, but iAudio also supports the OGG file format. You won't find most of your stuff in either WMA or OGG, but whenever you do download an album in one of those formats you don't have to do anything special. Just drag & drop, you're done. Apple requires you to convert those files into AC3 if you want to play them on an iPod... which is good cuz at least you can play them. But you do lose sound quality when you do that, and those internet downloaded files typically don't sound great to begin with... so you're compounding the problem by converting. As for the OGG format, some people swear by it since it sounds better than mp3 and takes up less space at the same time. So for some people, OGG file support is a big plus since their entire CD collection has already been ripped and encoded into OGG.

I guess the last feature would probably have to be the UMS support. Universal Mass Storage (UMS) basically means my mp3 player functions like a USB memory stick. I simply plug it into any computer and the mp3 player will be seen as another harddrive. I can drag & drop or copy and delete files as I see fit. No iTunes, no extra software needed. For a student that wants to finish a paper at school, they can simply copy their paper over to the player... bring it to school, plug it in and continue writing their paper without any afterthought. Or copy a school project onto the player like a Power Point presentation and then bring it to school. Or a business person can transfer large, sensitive files between home and work quickly and securely. No need to buy an extra USB memory card when your mp3 player is one already.

One last thing to consider too, is the DRM built-in to iTunes. Any songs that you purchase through iTunes automatically locks you in. If your mp3 player ever fails and you do not have a backup copy, you'll have to pay again for the songs. The songs are also not transferable to any other mp3 players except Apple's. So you are locked into only purchasing Apple products or else you lose all your songs since no other mp3 players support Apple's Fair Play Digital Rights Management protection. Getting back to the FM radio thingie... that is something that is FINALLY addressable thru their $50 radio accessory. It's just unfortunate that it's a $50 option when it's standard fare on virtually all other players.

Like I've said, however, most everything else Apple players already have. And what they do have, they do it extremely well. Although this may seem like a harsh attack on Apple's products, I can also very easily write about all the features that Apple's products DO have that other players either don't... or features that other mp3 players just do poorly in comparison. Apple makes very polished products and it shows in their market dominance of mp3 players. It is NOT my intention to belittle Apple's products nor make any iPod owners feel bad about their purchase. I am simply pointing out some areas of improvement that Apple can make. There is no perfect mp3 player out there hence why the "which mp3 player should I get" question keeps popping up.

Guest TrainDriver

a lot of ppl say ipods don't have as good sound quality as other mp3 players as well.

Guest lovelee

darkviet, thanks for posting such a detailed reply! most of this, i had no idea that other mp3 players have these features = )

Guest thatguy

wel i have an iriver h10 for few months now and hopefully it last long! =/

I have a h10 too...i like the interace and stuff....but once in a while it freezes on me so i have to pull out the battery and put it back on to make it run again. The most annoying thing is the shuffle!!!! i have about 500 songs in there and it plays the same 100 songs...i flashed it to the UMD version and use some program to do complete shuffles but that doesnt really help much either.

Guest NASRI22

i reckon its just luck with the big brand mp3playres.. there are some faulty ones out there and some peopel are vvery unlucky to end up with them. but the majority of them are pretty durable and good.

Guest kyung won

if you just want a good mp3 player [just for the songs...]

then don't get one that is loaded with features that you may never even think to use

which is why i just went for an ipod nano...

slim, compact, does what it is supposed to do, the warranty on it is as good as most company's will give you, you can exchange the ipod for an upgrade to another ipod and just pay the difference, and sound quality is quite good in my opinion.

i never use mine for more than 7 hours at a time so i only need to charge it every 2-3 days...

and if you don't download from itunes, your existing mp3 collection can easily be transferred to the ipod since it supports mp3 and aac.

and any .wma songs you want to put on the ipod , just import it to itunes and it will ask you if you just want to play it or convert it to mp3 format...

and the scratching problem is preventable with a sturdy case....

agent18 ones are good for it and is only 20 bucks more...

and if you intend to buy a 4gb mp3 player, you can shell out another 20 bucks easily , No?

even better since there is such a thing as an education discount which means you don't have to spend quite as much ^^

all these problems with an ipod that personally have never encountered...maybe it's just luck @@

my first ipod broke on me one day[and it wasnt my fault at all], took it to the apple store , told them the problem, and they replaced it with a new one on the spot

now is that good service or what???

Archived