Chung Doo Hong 정두홍 Jung Doo Hong

Guest ksen

Martial Arts Director and Korean Actor
+ Hi! I'm Kseniya from Russia. I am a creator of a site about Chung Doo-hong http://jdh.iyapi.net/ . You can see there all that I could find out about this most talented, but little-known outside of Korea the person. If you want to tell something for Mr. Jung we can to try to do it. I'll try to translate your text in Korean and post it in the Korean http://cafe.daum.net/jungdoohong where Mr. Jung often drops by. Filmography: as Actor: filmografia.jpg The Foul King /Banchikwang (2000) Born to Kill (1996) Run Away (1995) Kim's War /Kimui jeonjaeng (1992) Son of a General II /Janggunui adeul II (1991) (USA) Son of the General /Janggunui adeul (1990) A Bloody Battle For Revenge (1992) The Continent of Ambition (1992) Ggok-Ji-Ddan (1990) Serials (dramas): Ruler of Your Own World .... - Aired on MBC in Korea: July 3, 2002 - Sept. 5, 2002 - JDH's role: Yang ChanSuk, stunt director and Go BokSu's friend (you can download all the episodes along with English subtitles from totuta's page: http://royow.wo.to/. The download links are up on the weekends. ) royow14.jpg Damo - Aired on MBC in Korea: July 28, 2003 - Sept. 9, 2003 - JDH's role: Jang SungBaek's servant/sword-keeper who lived in the leper village; also saved him from the arresting officers as a child and hid him away. damo.jpg Martial arts director Crying Fist (2005) Blood Rain (2005) Taegukgi/ Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War / Brotherhood /Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo/ (2004) Rikidozan (2004) Silmido (2003) Natural City (2003) Tube/Tyubeu (2003) t005.jpg Resurrection of the Little Match Girl/Sungnyangpali sonyeoui jaerim (2002) No Blood No Tears/Pido nunmuldo eobshi (2002) Seoul (2002) 00's Enemy/Public Enemy/Gonggongui jeog (2002) Musa (2001) musa.gif This Is Law/Igeoshi beobida (2001) Last Witness/Heugsuseon (2001) Action director A Bittersweet Life / Dalkomhan insaeng (2005) Please Teach Me English/Yeongeo wanjeonjeongbok (2003) Family (2002/I) Champion (2002) Over the Rainbow/Obeo deo reinbou (2002) Scent of a Man/Namjaui hyanggi (1998) Saturday, 2:00 pm/Toyoil ohu 2shi (1998) Born to Kill (1996) YMCA Baseball Team (2002) Il mare (2000) Libera Me (2000) Chunhyang (2000) Kilimanjaro (2000) The Soul Guardians (1998) Seventeen (1998) Firebird (1996) Rehearsal (1995) Rules of the Game (1994) Sirasoni (1992) Kim's War (1992) Art Director Champion (2002) No Blood No Tears/Pido nunmuldo eobshi (2002) Stunts coordinator Gingko Bed 2 /Moyuru Tsuki: The Legend of Gingko/Danjeogbiyeonsu (2000) The Foul King/Banchikwang (2000) Phantom / Phantom: The Submarine/Yuryeong (1999) Shiri/Swiri (1999) City of the Rising Sun There Is No Sun/Taeyangeun eobda (1998) Hallelujah (1997) Beat (1997) Come to Me/Naege ola (USA) (1996) Run Away (1995) Terrorist (1995) Stunts Tube/Tyubeu (2003) t0023.jpg Son of a General II/Janggunui adeul II (USA) (1991) Son of the General/Janggunui adeul (1990) Plans: Participation in Russian blockbuster "Mongol" Debut as a director in Korean movie 'Bouncer' in Hollywood Action in martial arts fantasy melodrama "Middle Heaven"

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is pic from "Ruler of Your Own World" (I saw it at old ("before the flood") soompi-topik) It is action school. Unfortunately, faces are poorly visible.. Could anybody tell me is Chung Doo-hong here?

12.jpg

Besides I saw there the link to his pic from Damo: http://boardc.sayclub.com/files/fx/blob3/s...2-/221./318.jpg but it doesn't work :(

Did anybody keep this pic?

Updated Filmography (according to Koren sites)

As Actor:

A Bloody Battle For Revenge (1992)

The Continent of Ambition (1992)

Ggok-Ji-Ddan (1990)

Action (I write "action" because Korean sites divided filmography into a actor, a director and "musulkimtok" only):

YMCA Baseball Team (2002)

Il mare (2000)

Libera Me (2000)

Chunhyang (2000)

Kilimanjaro (2000)

The Soul Guardians (1998)

Seventeen (1998)

Firebird (1996)

Rehearsal (1995)

Rules of the Game (1994)

Sirasoni (1992)

Kim's War (1992)

Frankly, I'm surprised with Chunhyang in this list...

Hi Kseniya, good new for Chung Doo-hong... he's been nominated in the Best Visual Effects category for A Bittersweet Life's Best Action. Hope he wins, ya? :)

Korean Weekly News - 10/30

The nominations for the 4th annual Korean Film Awards have been announced. As expected, the 'Dongmakgol syndrome' swept through these awards as well, but the great technical achievement pushed up 'Blood Rain' as well. The awards will be presented on December at the Sejong Cultural Center, and shown on MBC.

최우수작품상 (Best Picture)

말아톤 (Marathon)

너는 내 운명 (You Are My Sunshine)

연애의 목적 (Rules of Dating)

웰컴투 동막골 (Welcome To Dongmakgol)

감독상 (Best Director)

Kim Dae-Seung, 혈의 누 (Blood Rain)

Ryu Seung-Wan, 주먹이 운다 (Crying Fist)

Im Sang-Soo, 그때 그 사람들 (The President's Last Bang)

Park Jin-Pyo, 너는 내 운명 (You Are My Sunshine)

Park Gwang-Hyun, 웰컴투 동막골 (Welcome To Dongmakgol)

남우주연상 (Best Leading Actor)

Hwang Jung-Min, 너는 내 운명 (You Are My Sunshine)

Jo Seung-Woo, 말아톤 (Marathon)

Park Hae-Il, 연애의 목적 (Rules of Dating)

Jung Jae-Young, 웰컴투 동막골 (Welcome To Dongmakgol)

Ryu Seung-Beom, 주먹이 운다 (Crying Fist)

여우주연상 (Best Leading Actress)

Kim Mi-Sook, 말아톤 (Marathon)

Jeon Do-Yeon, 너는 내 운명 (You Are My Sunshine)

Kim Hye-Soo, 분홍신 (The Red Shoes)

Kang Hye-Jung, 연애의 목적 (Rules of Dating)

Lee Young-Ae, 친절한 금자씨 (Sympathy For Lady Vengeance)

남우조연상 (Best Supporting Actor)

Hwang Jung-Min, 달콤한 인생 (A Bittersweet Life)

Kim Young-Cheol, 달콤한 인생 (A Bittersweet Life)

Lee Gi-Young, 말아톤 (Marathon)

Im Ha-Ryong, 웰컴투 동막골 (Welcome To Dongmakgol)

Park Yong-Woo, 혈의 누 (Blood Rain)

여우조연상 (Best Supporting Actress)

Na Moon-Hee, 너는 내 운명 (You Are My Sunshine)

Kim Soo-Mi, 마파도 (Mapado)

Kang Hye-Jung, 웰컴투 동막골 (Welcome To Dongmakgol)

Na Moon-Hee, 주먹이 운다 (Crying Fist)

Choi Ji-Na, 혈의 누 (Blood Rain)

신인남우상 (Best New Actor)

Jang Sun-Woo, 귀여워 (So Cute)

Park Geon-Hyung, 댄서의 순정 (Innocent Steps)

Yoon Gye-Sang, 발레교습소 (Flying Boys)

Lee Tae-Sung, 사랑니 (Blossom Again)

Ryu Deok-Hwan, 웰컴투 동막골 (Welcome To Dongmakgol)

신인여우상 (Best New Actress)

Seo Young-Hee, 마파도 (Mapado)

Jung Yoo-Mi, 사랑니 (Blossom Again)

Kim Ji-Soo, 여자, 정혜 (This Charming Girl)

Jo Yi-Jin, 태풍 태양 (The Aggressives)

Yoon Se-Ah, 혈의 누 (Blood Rain)

신인감독상 (Best New Director)

Im Pil-Sung, 남극일기 (Antarctic Journal)

Jung Yoon-Cheol, 말아톤 (Marathon)

Lee Yoon-Gi, 여자, 정혜 (This Charming Girl)

Han Jae-Rim, 연애의 목적 (Rules of Dating)

Park Gwang-Hyun, 웰컴투 동막골 (Welcome To Dongmakgol)

각본상 (Best Original Screenplay)

말아톤 (Marathon) - Jung Yoon-Cheol, Yoon Jin-Ho, Song Ye-Jin

연애의 목적 (Rules of Dating) - Go Yoon-Hee, Han Jae-Rim

웰컴투 동막골 (Welcome To Dongmakgol) - Jang Jin, Park Gwang-Hyun, Kim Joong

주먹이 운다 (Crying Fist) - Ryu Seung-Wan, Jeon Cheol-Hong

혈의 누 (Blood Rain) - Lee Won-Jae

미술상 (Best Art Direction)

Ryu Sung-Hee, 달콤한 인생 (A Bittersweet Life)

Im Hyung-Tae and Jang Bak-Ha, 분홍신 (The Red Shoes)

Jo Hwa-Sung, 친절한 금자씨 (Sympathy For Lady Vengeance)

Min Eon-Wook, 혈의 누 (Blood Rain)

Lee Hyung-Joo and Jo Geun-Hyun, 형사 (Duelist)

촬영상 (Best Cinematography)

Kim Ji-Yong, 달콤한 인생 (A Bittersweet Life)

Choi Sang-Ho, 웰컴 투 동막골 (Welcome To Dongmakgol)

Jung Jung-Hoon, 친절한 금자씨 (Sympathy For Lady Vengeance)

Choi Young-Hwan, 혈의 누 (Blood Rain)

Hwang Gi-Seok, 형사 (Duelist)

조명상 (Best Lighting)

Shin Sang-Ryeol, 달콤한 인생 (A Bittersweet Life)

Lee Man-Gyu, 웰컴투 동막골 (Welcome To Dongmakgol)

Park Hyun-Won, 친절한 금자씨 (Sympathy For Lady Vengeance)

Kim Sung-Gwan, 혈의 누 (Blood Rain)

Shin Kyung-Man, 형사 (Duelist)

편집상 (Best Editing)

Moon In-Dae, 내 생애 가장 아름다운 일주일 (All For Love)

Choi Min-Young, 웰컴투 동막골 (Welcome To Dongmakgol)

Nam Na-Young, 주먹이 운다 (Crying Fist)

Kim Sang-Beom and Kim Jae-Beom, 친절한 금자씨 (Sympathy For Lady Vengeance)

Shin Min-Kyung, 태풍태양 (The Aggressives)

시각효과상 (Best Visual Effects)

EON, CG for 남극일기 (Antarctic Journal)

Jung Doo-Hong, Action for 달콤한 인생 (A Bittersweet Life) :)

Jo Yi-Seok, CG for 웰컴투 동막골 (Welcome To Dongmakgol)

Shin Jae-Ho, make-up for 혈의 누 (Blood Rain)

Mopack, CG for 형사 (Duelist)

음향상 (Best Sound Effects)

Choi Tae-Young and Lee Seung-Yeob, 가발 (The Wig)

Choi Tae-Young, 남극일기 (Antarctic Journal)

Kim Seok-Won and Kim Chang-Seob, 여고괴담4 (Voice)

Kim Seok Won and Kim Chang-Seob, 혈의 누 (Blood Rain)

Park Joon-Ho, 형사 (Duelist)

음악상 (Best Music)

Dalparan and Jang Young-Gyu, 달콤한 인생 (A Bittersweet Life)

Lee Byung-Woo, 연애의 목적 (Rules of Dating)

Hisaishi Jo, 웰컴투 동막골 (Welcome To Dongmakgol)

Jo Young-Wook, 친절한 금자씨 (Sympathy For Lady Vengeance)

Jo Young-Wook, 혈의 누 (Blood Rain)

FINAL COUNT

13 - Welcome To Dongmakgol

11 - Blood Rain

7 - A Bittersweet Life

6 - Marathon, Rules of Dating, Sympathy For Lady Vengeance

5 - You Are My Sunshine, Crying Fist, Duelist

3 - Antarctic Journal

2 - The Red Shoes, Mapado, Blossom Again, This Charming Girl, The Aggressives

From various source, posted by X at Twitch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rules of Your Own World

royow34.jpg

My friend started to download this serial for me at last!!! He given

me 6 series already and I with my husband saw all them on Sunday! We

like it very much! Some time back we saw some Korean dramas already

("Attic cat", "Love Story in Harward" and the beginning "My sister in

law 19") and we like them, but "Rules of Your Own World" is very

especial serial and we like it very-very much! Therefore we are very

grateful to everyone who advised us to see it!

My husband told it is a enhanced version of Baramui Fighter :) - there

is the same actor and the same character in a leading role! A kind and

little rude guywho has humiliation frequently and which changes from

tears to heroism... In the movie he goes in karate and in the serial

he goes in stuntmen, and both times in pupils to JDH!:))

I did not expect this time to see JDH, cause you spoke he will appear

only from middle of a drama. It was unexpected and joyful to see him

already in 4-th series!:) he so effectively appeared! :) When an

overturning car flies past the guys, I told husband: "well, whoever

appear now, I bet that Mr. Chung drove the car!" :)

If I understood correctly this character for those 7 tiny episodes

with him which I seen, I think the director found (and Mr. Chung

played) very good course, that the stuntman is not a classical Hero,

like Beom-so, that he can tell "do you know how much I get scared

every time I do this?", he can begin to cry or not understand guys

when they speak him what their former occupation is a pickpocket (what

he make faces there! :) ). And at the same time he is Master. And he is kind and sarcastic as it seemed to me.

.. By the way, about "former occupation". I think it is one of distinctions

of the Chinese and Korean cinema. Chinese would show that this occupation brings to

heroes an adventure and experience. Koreans make us not only to

sympathize with guys, but also to hate furiously what they do...

Pics: http://jdh.narod.ru/royow.htm

NB: the Site with links to videofiles will be closed in December :((

Hi Kseniya!

How are you? I have this photo to share (courtesy of a friend), from LBH's personal blog ... it's taken during the filming of A Bittersweet Life.

It's CDH next to LBH, right? :)

281629dalcom20058up.jpg

And another treat to share with you, a great clip from the movie... showing various stunts done by LBH but there's also footage of CDH in it which I'm sure you will enjoy. :D

mms://msmedia.hitpops.jp/msn/video/koreascreen/movie/koreashowbiz/bittersweetlife_making.wmv

Good to know you & take care!

p/s: sorry to hear about the site with the videofiles closing soon... maybe there'll be a better one to replace it later.

Hi Kseniya! Hope you're doing well. I shared this at the Bittersweet Life thread, thought you might like to read it too. ^_^

--------------------------------------------------------

Movie Review

By Dave Davis

ablpic4uz.jpg

DAVE'S UNDERGROUND

I try to avoid too much hype whenever I can help it, which is no easy feat in this gig. Whether succumbing to it myself from advanced buzz or dispensing it here on the site through various recommendations… either way it tends to lead to a degree of disappointment for somebody.

With the Korean movie A Bittersweet Life, I'd only heard that it was an outstanding new gangster flick from Ji-woon Kim, the director of the wrestling comedy The Foul King and the spook story A Tale of Two Sisters (which I previously covered HERE). The story is simple enough: gentlemanly Sun-woo (Lee Byung Hun of JSA) is the chief enforcer for Mr. Kang, a powerful crime lord. Kang suspects that his young mistress Hee-soo (the gorgeous Shin Min-a of Volcano High) is cheating on him, and assigns Sun-woo to follow her while he's out of town and to call if his doubts are correct... which they are.

But something else has happened. The reticent Sun-woo isn't ordinarily the type to be affected by emotion, but he yields to it just this once, because simply watching Hee-soo has awakened an unspoken appreciation for beauty and made him suddenly cognizant of his stark, solitary lifestyle. Upon discovering the expected affair Sun-woo opts not to contact his boss with the revelation, knowing full well Mr. Kang's instructions would be to exterminate the lovers. Kang is contending with other gang relation issues instigated by Sun-woo and when the news that he ignored orders ultimately arrives, Kang decides to make an example of his former right-hand man by having his henchmen put him down. But Sun-woo escapes (in a vicious demonstration of the abilities that obviously made him such a valuable asset) and, too blunt to fully comprehend Kang's ambiguous motivations and too stubborn to let matters slide, his existence is reduced to a single purpose: pure bloody revenge.

And now, the dispensing of the hype: A Bittersweet Life is a fantastic (if not wholly original) film noir that's somehow both superstylish yet minimalist, part Point Blank, Peckinpah, Woo and Melville filtered through a distinct (and yet uniquely Korean) vision. Darkly poetic, the film constantly juggles clichés so they land in unanticipated ways. It's not a traditional love story – Hee-soo is merely a catalyst for emotions that have become practically alien to Sun-woo. With his angular handsomeness and measured fury, Lee Byung Hun balances Sun-woo's preternatural physicality with a dignified vulnerability. In fact, Sun-woo has relied solely on his "interpersonal" skills in his vocation, so when he finally acquires some guns (in one of the film's most effective moments of black comedy) he has all the marksmanship of an Imperial Stormtrooper, awkwardly brandishing firearms as if half-expecting them to detonate in his hand. The film's punctuations of vivid violence are kept realistically raw thanks to actor/stuntman/fight choreographer Jung Doo-Hong, who's done similarly astonishing work on Taegukgi, Arahan, Natural City and several other films – the prolonged scene where Sun-woo brawls through a crew of thugs using whatever means available is a masterful orchestration of carnage.

Kim's film is immaculate from the score to the supporting cast to the production design, and there are numerous layers in the disarmingly straightforward premise, implicit in the relationships and communication – Kang views the perceived infatuation and sudden unreliability in gang affairs as disrespectful and an immediate threat to his authority; Sun-woo can't understand how seven years of absolute loyalty could be discarded so frivolously for a single independent decision, or that his brief display of emotion is only a gateway to further weakness in his chosen profession. But then, if they cleared up their misunderstandings, we wouldn't have all that beautiful bloodshed.

Credits: CHUD.com

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=davesunderground&id=4004

It's CDH next to LBH, right?

Yes, it is he!

Thank you very much!!!!! thank_you.gif

Hope you're doing well.

I am well, but I haven't internet connection in my home now and I can't come here routinely :(

It is pic from "Ruler of Your Own World" (I saw it at old ("before the flood") soompi-topik) It is action school. Unfortunately, faces are poorly visible.. Could anybody tell me is Chung Doo-hong here?

12.jpg

Oh, already I seen this episode in a drama. Yes, it is CDH (in red)!

--------------------

My friend downloaded Rules of Your Own World for me! I am delight with this drama!!!

And I have dispute with my husband again: he believes that a role of CDH is easy, but I think it was uneasy to make this character lively and persuasive. Because Jang Chang-suk has features comic and heroic, wise and foolish, soft-hearted and brutal.. He easily could come off a caricature, but he is lively and cool! :)

-----------------------

I have small news: my site was noticed by Koreans: http://news.media.daum.net/edition/foreign..._right_TOPIC=R8

Unfortunately, I don't understand most of the article, but nevertheless it is pleasing :)

-----------------

My friend bought a DVD "Il Mare" with additional materials! Movie is nice though I think idea is more grandiose than its embodiments.. But, probably, I am not impartial: a theme of meetings/notmeetings of people who is divided by time is very special theme for me...

If I correctly understood, JDH did scenes of accident in this film.

A DVD  with additional materials shows one of them.. I did not knew how it is made! It is wire action! Wow!

BUT! - I'm gonna kill 'em all!!! - they so long showed shooting this episode but JDH.. no, they seem to show him but it is SO dim...

Usually there is an inscription who is who in such shootings. And here there is nothing, even offscreen comments! :(

Theoretically it should be, that looks like his contours, but... Any hints?

Il%20mare.jpg

Hi Kseniya, it's my pleasure to be here... a pity that I'm really not familiar with CDH and I haven't seen the dramas or movies he acted in before. But I must say the fighting sequence and all those high-kicking stunts in Bittersweet Life was really good... those that he prepared for LBH especially.

Keep on posting ok, others will find this thread very useful once they know about CDH & wanted more info on him... so, never stop sharing. :)

Archived