[movie 2004] My Brother 우리형

Guest jhing

Won Bin and Shin Ha Kyun
I enjoyed this movie a lot. It was both sad and funny. WB looked great in this flick. I loved the hair! :DHere's a movie description from Yesasia.com Popular actors Shin Ha Kyun and Won Bin team up in the heartrending hit My Brother! Handsome Won Bin (Taegukgi) is Jong-Hyun, an underachiever whose slightly handicapped older brother Sung-Hyun (Shin Ha Kyun of Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance and Save the Green Planet) is favored by their mother and acquaintances alike for all his sincere efforts. Filial jealousy, competition over a pretty girl, and years of sought-after acceptance drives a rift between the two brothers. As the years pass, the two brothers lead increasingly separate lives, and their lingering conflict goes unsettled. Will each eventually be able to call the other "My brother?" My Brother features the first teaming of actors Shin Ha Kyun and Won Bin since the popular 2001 action comedy Guns and Talks. As brothers facing estrangement and possibly reconciliation, the two actors turn in effective dramatic and comic performances, and bring photogenic spark to director Ahn Kwon Tae's hit drama. Reviews from yesasia.com: very good Monday, August 15, 2005 4 1/2 out 5 stars Reviewer: yhs not the most original movie, but they still take a drama about two brothers and make a hit movie.. the acting from the cast (won bin, shin ha-kyun, and the actress playing the role of the mother) was good. it is touching, heartfelt and will likely make you cry. Three friends of mine have watched it, and all 3 liked it a lot. It was a box-office hit in Korea as well. ~ no wonder this was TOP in Korea for so long Wednesday, June 01, 2005 4 out of 5 stars Reviewer: Anonymous Good and warm.!! Speaks out reality, truth - the elements of life. The movie is simple but yet gives a huge impression in you. One that anybody can relate with, almost everyone has siblings. An unrushed but yet not draggy movie. With and ending that leaves us the audience to think about ourselves and our lives. BUY IT !!! ~ I cried when seeing "MY BROTHER" Saturday, April 16, 2005 5 out of 5 stars Reviewer: NGO HA THU Have you seen "TITANIC"? Have you cried for this film? If I am asked this question. I 'll say "Yes" and "No". But with the same quetions for "MY BROTHER", my answer is "YES" and"YES". I cried coz the acting of Shin Ha Kyun- my favourite actor is so beautiful and cos the lesson I receive from this film. I love my sister more and cherish all the time we are together. Cos I do not want to regret like the character of Won Bin realizing the love for his brother when he's gone. ~ siblings Saturday, March 26, 2005 4 out of 5 stars Reviewer: Anonymous An honest movie about siblings, sibling rivalry and the fact that each sibling views their status in a family very differently. It made me realize how much I value my brothers and the great people they are. And that I'm not as oppressed as I thought I was. It also gave me insight into the parent mind and how they may rationalize how they treat each child. ~ very nice Friday, March 25, 2005 4 out of 5 stars Reviewer: zhuang ya-jing i really like this movie... simple yet it says a lot... as usual, won bin does a wonderful job! =) shin ha kyun is also amazing! even though won bin here is supposed to be the more "attractive" brother, because he was the tough popular guy in school, the hare-lipped brother turns out to be more lovable and likable...i think this is due to the fact that won bin is really affected by the favoritism his mother shows towards his brother and he treats his brother like a subordinate... and ha kyun of course still treats won bin nicely and even beats up a guy won bin is fighting with and losing to... anyway, just watch it... =) i absolutely love this movie! =) a job well done! =) ~ My Brother Friday, February 11, 2005 4 1/2 out of 5 stars Reviewer: Anonymous Although not nearly as good as Taegukgi, my brother is a wonderfull acted film, even if the storyline does take a few dives. Won Bin's acting is top-notch, as usual, and overall it was a really wonderful film. Recommended. ~ MAKE THE BEST OF EVERY MOMENT Friday, February 11, 2005 4 1/2 out of 5 stars Reviewer: Grace Tan This movie is a must see film. If you have a brother or a sister I suggest that you watched it. It's a sentimental movie, yet there is also some funny moments. Overall, it teaches us values...to love and to show those people we love that we care while they are still alive, and it it important to let them know. Do not let time pass by, becuase once they're gone, we can never bring back time. ~ Best Hit Ever Wednesday, February 02, 2005 5 out of 5 stars Reviewer: Alex W. This movie is a must watched. I had watch this movie twice already and its truely a good movie. It touched me so much I like balled my eyes off for about 45 min. I know its funny but if you watch this movie you will understand =] I tell every one that You should buy this movie. Brothers will always be brothers =]

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello madyjune! This movie was indeed a tearjerker but some parts were simply hilarious. I had a really good laugh with that bit where WB and his brother were preparing to leave for school and then their mom gave them their lunch boxes. Then WB opened both lunch boxes just to check if mom packed them the same lunch and then he saw that they had the same lunch indeed but then he turned his brother's lunch box over and that was when he saw the extra food for his bro and he went ballistic. :lol: I just loved WB's reaction in that scene. I couldn't stop laughing about it. Poor WB!

BTW, I just want to share these interviews of the director and cast of My Brother.

Enjoy!

From Singapore Cable TV "Celestial Movie"

TV special - Behind the Scenes of "My Brother"

aired on Feb 8th, 2005

Interviews of director and cast:

Introduction of the film

A heartening-movie about kinship was shown in the autumn of 2004. Stories revolving around kinship always touch people's heart. "My brother" deals with something ordinary, but its themes of grief and joy make the movie a lot more watchable than other flicks. Stars Won Bin and Shin Ha Kyun, the film depicts kinship through the characters they play. The film is going to be the one you think of when you miss your family.

What Won Bin said,

I got the script when I was doing "Taegukgi". I used to do a series called "Kkokji". I had great time doing that interesting series. I had been longing to play my character in that series again. When I had the script for "My brother", I want to revive that character in this movie.

Compare to his model elder brother, the riotous younger brother is much more comedic. He is the kingpin among the students at school. The tone and feeling of the lines in "Taegukgi" are conveyed through acting, but the role of Jong Hyun is free.

What the director said,

Most viewers can identify with Jong Hyun because most of them are Jong Hyun. I had a hard time figuring out the best actor to play Jong Hyun. Won Bin has the greatest edge of I think he can play this role best, because whatever role he plays, he can be easily identified by his typical smile.

The two actors' performances are impressive. They excel in acting their parts. On the part of Won Bin, once he got the script, he would first analyze his role and carefully read every line, even the meaning of every single word, like why this word is used, etc. Having marked down everything, he then thought over his role again. In other words, Won Bin had made many preparations in order to play the part of Jong Hyun successfully and his efforts did pay off. (Won Bin was nominated as best male lead in the 3rd Korean Movie Awards in 2004).

Comments on Won Bin's performance,

To director, Won Bin and Shin Ha Kyun are his strongest support, especially Won Bin, who gives an outstanding performance as Jong Hyun. This is attributed to the director giving him much freedom to act. Without exaggeration, it is Jong Hyun's passion that propels the plot. By now, Won Bin has scaled new heights in his acting. His role as a fiery prodigal is exactly what the director wants.

Won Bin had to do a lot of action scenes. In order to fight naturally, he put in great effort in rehearsals. Though he may get hurt easily, he has to trust other actors. Beside the challenging action scenes, acting is worth watching too. There are very difficult scenes Won Bin had to display complicated emotions, and he would finish in one take. All the crew members were surprised by his fine acting. Won Bin also did well in the comedic scenes in which he showed a distinctive sense of humor.

typed by Ellenbin

Credits to WONderland

I also cried watching this movie. The part when I started crying was when after his brother's death, Won Bin went back to his school and lay flat on the green field and looked at the sky and he started thinking about his brother.

yeah... me too T_T

Guest thesarahchong

I agree that both leads did wonderfully. However the storyline in general seemed to drag. It was moving-- the bond between the two brothers, and I don't know if it's because I'm used to this high-pace action, but the first half was very slow. And then, the climax point made everything shoot up and the next thing you know, it's over.

It could have some effect that I could not understand everything happening since their country accent was hard to understand, but for the more part it was nothing totally tearjerking until the end when I did have a tear or two drop. Maybe I have a cold heart. But I don't last time... last time I checked, I cried watching Monsters Inc. Kim Boyoung is beautiful, but her character was almost pointless... she appears, and then disappears.

I think I have to watch it again to receive the full impact of the movie, maybe I just didn't realize the strongness the first time through.. (:

I agree that both leads did wonderfully. However the storyline in general seemed to drag. It was moving-- the bond between the two brothers, and I don't know if it's because I'm used to this high-pace action, but the first half was very slow. And then, the climax point made everything shoot up and the next thing you know, it's over.

It could have some effect that I could not understand everything happening since their country accent was hard to understand, but for the more part it was nothing totally tearjerking until the end when I did have a tear or two drop. Maybe I have a cold heart. But I don't last time... last time I checked, I cried watching Monsters Inc. Kim Boyoung is beautiful, but her character was almost pointless... she appears, and then disappears.

I think I have to watch it again to receive the full impact of the movie, maybe I just didn't realize the strongness the first time through.. (:

I really enjoyed this movie. Maybe not as funny as Guns and Talks or as emotional as Taegukgi but it certainly moved me deeply. I like how the brothers' relationship was not that strong in the beginning. Although I felt bad for the older brother coz of his "thingie" (hahaha split lip and all) I couldn't help but sympathise with WB's Jong Hyun. Imagine all his life, he came only second best. Heck, he didn't even come close to being second best coz his mother focused all her attention to the older brother. The closest displays of affection their mother showed Jong Hyun were the smacks and whacks in the head whenever he messed up or sassed his mother. :lol: And that's why I totally understand Jong Hyun's "treatment" to his older brother and why he's such a troublemaker. I think causing trouble was the only way to get his mother to really pay him any attention. Having said that I think WB did great a job in expressing his anger, disappointments and resentments towards his mother and brother and life in general. But even with those feelings inside of him, Jong Hyun tried his best to be a good son and brother. He gave up the girl he was falling for when he found out that his older brother also liked the girl. He just walked away and never looked back. It was like he sacrificed his own happiness just so he wouldn't hurt his brother. Then he was always concerned about their mother's well being. He went and beat up some people after learning that his mother was conned or something by this housing company. When he thought he was going to jail coz of what he did he called his brother up to tell him to take great care of their mom and even threatened his brother he'd get him if he didn't look after their mother. Although he wasn't a smart kid and gave his mother plenty of headaches he certainly loved his family very much. There was this scene where he yelled at his mother to go see a dentist coz he could see that his mom's tooth was really giving her pains and he just walked off. I couldn't help but smile at that scene coz Jong Hyun was certainly worried about his mother and he wanted to say so but he didn't know how to go about it.

The parts that led up to the tragic and sad ending were the highlights of the movie. Jong Hyun beating up this retarded kid just so his mother would pay up her debts and JH getting beat up himself by these thugs he used to work with were so so painful and hard to watch. Then the ending came and wow, it was devastating. JH finding his brother bashed up to death was so heartbreaking. But what really moved me to tears was the scene after the brother's death where the mother was out of her mind with grief and she started taking all the older brother's clothes out and JH was trying to stop her and he was yelling at her and both broke down in tears. I thought WB and the mother were great in that scene. But then again, all 3 leads did great in portraying their roles. So, all in all I give this movie 4 out 5 stars. As a WB fanatic I give WB here 20 out 20 stars. hahahaha

Guest 321stars

^ it sounds really good from the reviews, i have yet to watch it but i did download it.. good thing its not as emotional as taegukgi, that was too sad T_T. anyway won bin looks good in the pictures.

321stars

Hello there! Have fun watching My Brother. Do try to come back to share your views/thoughts on the movie ok. hehehe WB is hot in this movie. Darn, WB is HOT period. :lol:

ive only cried for three movies ever in my life. life as a house, taegukgi and this one. i just watched it like 10 minutes ago. shin hagyun is so cool. wonbin was good also. his acting style is really unique. im a big fan of his after watching the movie. maybe im just a sucker for these brothers movies but i really liked the slow pace. i think it brought a more realitic sense to the whole plot. and even the though the movie was moving at a slow pace the storyline was jumping scene from scene so it kept me interested. that bush canopy thing they were lying down on looks so comfortable. i will probably go watch this again tonight.

roujin - so glad you enjoyed this movie. Even more glad that you've become a WB fan after watching this touching film. Have you seen Guns and Talks? You'll see WB's knack for comedy in that flick. Go check it out ASAP. I think you'll love WB more afterwards. :D

J2Bin - u seen Guns and Talks? hehe I think WB is much much cuter in that movie. :D

Archived