Jeon Do-Yeon 전도연 [Drama “Crash Course in Romance” | Movie “Kill Boksoon” (NETFLIX)]

Helena

Guest yum yum dimsum

oooh!! i really love her natural way of acting.

i cant wait to watch her in 'You're My Sunshine'...

she's such a GREAT actress!!!!

2006-08-04

"You Are My Sunshine," Jeon Do Yeon press conference in Japan

55_0.jpg

[Report] "You Are My Sunshine," Jeon Do Yeon press conference in Japan

Jeon Do Yeon, the main female lead of "You Are My Sunshine," held a conference at the Cerulean Tower Hotel in Shibuya on the 3rd.

Jeon Do Yeon previously gathered much attention in Japan for her performance with the popular actors Bae Yong Joon and Lee Byeong Heon in "Scandal" and "The Harmonium in My Memory." Amongst many press greeting her first visit to Japan, Jeon Do Yeon appeared in the room shining for the press conference.

"I'm going to say a greeting I just memorized in Japanese. (Japanese) Hello. I am surprised that so many people have gathered and never knew I would receive such welcome coming to Japan. I would like to thank everyone for their interest."

jdy0803_12.jpg

Q. The movie "You Are My Sunshine" was a big hit in Korea. What do you think the reason was? And why do you think the heroine Eun Ha was accepted by audiences?

A. Eun Ha and Seok Joong is encountered more obstacles than normal love that can be encountered in everyday life. I believe by the two having overcome the obstacles, they were able to bring about "destined love." Many who watched probably thought so as well. Even I myself believe that such love exists and in a way I am also waiting for my destiny.

But simply loving someone cannot be deemed "destined love." I believe love only becomes destiny when having fallen in love, one protects that love and assumes the responsibilities that come with it.

Eun Ha was a character loved by many audiences. That was not because she was made to be cute on the outside. I think perhaps she was portrayed in be such a way because of the love Seok Joong gave her. When a man and woman fall in love without question, and the two maintain a good relationship with their love for each other, I think the two shine with beauty.

In Korea they say this saying and perhaps there is also a Japanese way of saying it as well, "A man and woman in love are very beautiful."

Q. You have had a history of many brilliant performances, but what is your approach to each character and piece? How did you approach "You Are My Sunshine" this time?

A. I have appeared in 9 movies until now. In the past 8, I decided on the piece after reading the scenario. The most important thing to an actress in deciding on a piece is the scenario. When the scenario isn't clear, not only is it impossible to act, I would also think it would be hard to direct it.

"You Are My Sunshine" was based on a true story, and it was so strong that I could not believe it. Therefore I couldn't simplify the story to accept it myself. But after the director showed my three pictures, I decided that I want to be in the movie. The first was a picture of the lady who was the heroine of the true story, and the other two were of the gentleman. I was surprised at how much a person could change* and was able to accept the fact that the scenario was based on a true story and decided to act in it.

I struggled for quite a while upon deciding to take the role of Eun Ha, but afterwards it wasn't too difficult. It was because the original role in the scenario was written with me in mind. The director once told me, "I want an Eun Ha that is like Jeon Do Yeon. You don't need to force a different Eun Ha out of you."

I was able to film with much happiness and joy, and much exerting much love.

* While one was a picture of a healthy young man, the second portrayed the gentleman suddenly aged with white hair. Both were of the same person.

Q. Eun Ha was loved by Seok Joong to the point of making many women jealous, but what do you think the reason was? Also, what are your thoughts of the conditions for a woman to be loved?

A. I think Eun Ha was loved that much because she was cute. At the train crossing, Seok Joong turns to look at Eun Ha despite the many other women passing by. In the way that she makes someone look back at her in such a short time frame, I think Eun Ha possesses that certain charm.

Also, seeing her makes one think, "What is such a cute lady doing in a countryside like here?" The irony of her existence to that place brings Seok Joong to fall in love at first sight. And in his case, it doesn't just end at first sight, and rather protects the person until the end which was only possible because of his firm belief that, "This is the love I was looking for. This is my destiny." There are a lot of quotes of Seok Joong I like. He tells his mother crying, "Life ends in death anyways. If I have to die, I want to live and die with Eun Ha." I cried myself hearing the line and thought Eun Ha was blessed. I believe Seok Joong was able to keep and protect his love to the end because he believed it was his destiny.

In regards to the conditions for a woman to be loved, if I knew it myself, perhaps I would have been in a relationship and married by now.

Q. Tell us your impression on the media attention you are gathering during your first visit to Japan. Also, how many times have you been to Japan including for personal reasons? What were you expecting from Japan when you came?

A. Officially, this is my first visit. Before I came, I didn't know many would have interest and was rather worried. I was thinking since I would have much time on my hand, I could sightsee around Tokyo.

But I was extremely moved to see so much media attention yesterday. I thought perhaps since I co-starred with Bae Yong Joon and Lee Byeong Heon who are so popular in Japan I would receive some attention, but did not think it would be this much.

What really impressed and moved me was the fact that not only was everyone interested in my roles and movies I starred in, but also seemed to have researched ahead of time. I was physically tired when I returned to my hotel to rest, but my heart was filled with warmth.

I have visited Osaka shortly before for a photo shoot. At the time, the visit was extremely short and it rained so the situation didn't allow for walking around or touring.

I briefly walked around Tokyo when I arrived the other day and was surprised at the number of people and the liveliness all around. I got the feeling of it being the most foreign of the places I have visited. It was very interesting.

I actually really like hot springs and want to visit one day. I heard Japan has many great hot springs and would like to visit and enjoy the delicious food and rest when I have time.

Q. You have a great filmography until now and it is usually difficult even for female Hollywood stars to continue to select great movies as the years pass. What are your plans from now on and what type of roles and pieces would you like to select as an actress?

A. It may have been similar in Japan, but I think there was a time when it was difficult for an actress to "live in movies" in Korea. I thought, would the audience would think a story focusing on a female lead would be interesting; wouldn't stories and themes with male leads interest audiences more and also believe the audiences thought so as well.

Many envy thinking that I receive a pile of scenarios from which I get to choose a piece, but it is not always so.

There were times I only had 2 or 3 scenarios which was rather depressing and made me think that if the situation continues, I will just get married and have children. But such thoughts changed as I continued working. I would like to choose pieces that flow within taste, and naturally call for me.

Being an actress is not limited to the present. Thinking of the bigger picture and doing things one by one to my fullest is the way to continue to gather the attention of people, so I would like to continue as long and the best I can.

Afterwards, would probably be the same until now, but I never had a goal of becoming a particular type of influence or become a certain way. If I must put it in words, I want to become an actress that can be trusted. And as I have until this day, I will continue to put the best of my efforts into my work and carefully select pieces so that the attention I have gathered today will not die away.

jdy0803_13.jpg

Jeon Do Yeon, who sincerely answered each question with a smile, showed a true heroine iin herself. After the question and answer session, there was a guest competition of "Korea and Japan's loved woman" with the female comedian group Morisanchu.

Murakami and Kurosawa (Ooshima did not attend) appeared in a Yukata and presented a bouquet of flowers congratulating Jeon Do Yeon on receiving the best actress award at Korea's Daejong Film Festival. In response to a question asking her impression of the Yukata, Jeon Do Yeon commented, "I thought Korean traditional attire was beautiful, but seeing the Yukata, I see it is beautiful as well." Murakami answered by saying, "That was not the prepared comment," making the room burst into laughter.

Murakami commented after watching the movie, "The idea that one could be loved so much truly was charming." She also mentioned that the expression of Eun Ha after drinking the milk Seok Joong gave her is one that all women should learn. When she reenacted the expression, Jeon Ji Hyeon as well as the people in the room laughed.

In a conversation about Ooshima, it was mentioned that the Ooshima couple did not go well with each other at all. Jeon Do Yeon then wished long lasting happiness and life as Eun Ha when Kurosawa said, "By the way, Ooshima weighs 83kg," making Jeon Do Yeon burst in laughter in front of these comedians.

Afterwards, Jeon Do Yeon showed her shining smile, one that makes even those looking smile, in a photo session.

"You Are the Sunshine" gathered 3 million at the theatres in Korea presenting Jeon Do Yeon with various awards and will open in the Fall at Chanter Cine, Q-AX Cinema in Shibuya and other theatres starting the nationwide road show.

jdy0803_02.jpgjdy0803_03.jpgjdy0803_04.jpg

jdy0803_05.jpgjdy0803_06.jpgjdy0803_07.jpg

jdy0803_08.jpgjdy0803_09.jpgjdy0803_10.jpg

[Copyright © 2006 IMX, Inc. All rights reserved.]

Source: http://www.broasia.com/lwboard/lwboard.php...;pg=1&no=55

• 4 weeks later...

any updates abt her?? :D

This the latest news I have on her. Posted at Twitch on June 15, 2006. :)

Song and Jeon are Lee Chang-Dong's Secret Sunshine

sunshinesong.jpg

So let's say you directed a few 'decent films', like 초록 물고기 (Green Fish), 박하사탕 (Peppermint Candy) and 오아시스 (Oasis). After that, you started a short-lived but rather successful political career, becoming Minister of Culture. Then you make a few very controversial decisions, end your post at the Blue House, and it's silence for months.

We knew Lee Chang-Dong was working on his fourth project 밀양 (Secret Sunshine) for a while, and rumours about casting were flying right from the beginning, with Seol Kyung-Gu supposedly getting the leading role. Well, folks, the truth is a little different. Main casting for the film has been announced, and we couldn't possibly be in better hands: Jeon Do-Yeon and Song Kang-Ho, pretty much the two best actors in the country (save a Choi Min-Shik or two) have been cast in the film, which will start shooting later this Summer. Sure, their management says 'we're negotiating' and stuff, but you know when this kind of news gets out in the open, it's only a matter of days before everything is signed.

The film, set in the famous little town of Miryang, is about the love story between a Piano Hakwon teacher (Jeon) and a Car Center owner (Song), and that's all we know for now. Of course we will follow this in depth in the coming months. [Yahoo Korea]

» Posted by X at June 15, 2006 04:50 AM

Sept 13, 2006

Are Korean Movie Stars Too Expensive?

The Korean film industry continues to grow at an alarming pace. After "Silmido" opened an era of 10-million ticket sellers in 2004, four more films quickly followed suit. "The Host" recently set a new record, taking the top spot from the "King and the Clown," which itself brought more than 12.3 million Koreans to the theaters earlier this year. But the growth in the industry means the amount Chungmuro's biggest names are charging for appearances on the big screen is also shooting through the roof. How does it compare to overall production costs?

How Much Do They Make?

200609130009_01.jpg

Clockwise from left: Bae Yong-joon, Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun, Jang Dong-gun,

Jang Jin-young, Jeon Do-yeon, Jeon Ji-hyun and Lee Young-ae

The rates stars charge are a good way to gauge their popularity. Currently, Bae Yong-joon is Korea's highest paid actor. In last year's "April Snow," the actor was estimated to have earned at least twice the W300 million(US$1=W959) he got for his work on "Untold Scandal" in 2003.

By using the buzz generated by Bae Yong-joon's popularity, only in the early stages of production the film was exported to Japan for US$7 million and subsequently raked in W23 billion with its successful run. Choi Min-sik, Song Kang-ho and Seol Kyung-gu are known as the Three Musketeers of Chungmuro for their ability to bring box office success, and they command around W500 million per film. Then there are Lee Byung-hun and Cha Seung-won, who each get about W350 million per movie, and of course Jang Dong-gun, whose appearance in "Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War" helped take that film above the 10 million tickets mark.

Among the women, Lee Young-ae and Jeon Ji-hyun are at the top, each getting about W350 million-W400 million for their work, while Jeon Do-yeon and Jang Jin-young get W300 million -W350 million for their appearances.

Hollywood Prices

200609130009_02.jpg

Clockwise from left: Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks, Brad Pitt,

Angelina Jolie, Nicole Kidman, Cameron Diaz and Julia Roberts

It is hard to make a direct comparison between the price of Korean stars and their foreign counterparts, due to the fact that the scope of distribution is different, as is the size of the market. Tom Cruise made the most money last year of any Hollywood actor, according to the U.S.' Quigley Publishing, which has every year since 1932 researched producers and theaters owners to find out who the top 10 earners are.

Tom Cruise confirmed his popularity with "War of the Worlds," after winning back the top spot with "Vanilla Sky." Johnny Depp was second, followed by Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, who starred in "Mr. and Mrs. Smith." According to Hollywood sources, Tom Cruise earns $28 million-$30 million per film: a sum 56 times greater than the highest-earning Korean screen star. Tom Hanks came second with $27million-$28 million, and Johnny Depp followed with $26 million. Julia Roberts and Cameron Diaz get about $20 million per film, while Nicole Kidman, Jessica Alba and Angelina Jolie earn around $15 million.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0609130009.html

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yoonah

Konbae for rubie's newly-created "Harmonium In My Memory" thread. And kumopta melusine for the articles you've shared. I wish there'd be English articles on "Secret Sunshine" soon though.

I overlooked this one from Twitch, posted about a year ago by Mr. X, under the title "2006 Korean Cinema Previews - Part 1."

밀양 (密陽, Secret Sunshine)

Directed By: 이창동 (Lee Chang-Dong)

It's always hard coming back to movies after a long hiatus, ask Lee Myung-Se. But what if during your pause from filmmaking, you became Minister of Culture of your country? Lee Chang-Dong must have a lot on his mind: the expectations of people who saw his first three masterful films, of sort of living up to his past even after experiencing politics. For someone who entered the business through the back door, writing scripts after being an acclaimed writer, finding the inspiration for his next work shouldn't be too hard. But even though people were just excited to see the man back in the business after a long break, few thought he would choose a project like this. Miryang, south of GyeongGi Province, perhaps the most famous small town in Korea. But using its Hanja meaning, Miryang means something like sunshine giving you a nice, mysterious feeling.

So here's your double entendre. The film features a piano teacher from Seoul, suffering from severe mental pain, who continuously asks herself what life is about. She meets the owner of a car center from Miryang, and a story between the two develops. This is actually one of two works Lee is preparing, so it might even surface later than the second one, for which Lee hasn't disclosed any information yet. And apparently, this work is based on a Korean novel - which he changed a little - which will be revealed later (perhaps because they're still negotiating). Although details about the project are still sketchy, the idea of Lee exploring themes like the value of life makes things a little more exciting. After all, even 초록물고기 (Green Fish), 박하사탕 (Peppermint Candy) and 오아시스 (Oasis) sounded simple. On paper.

» Posted by X at October 28, 2005 02:34 AM

Praises for Jeon Do Yeon's acting! :)

The Contact (1997)

Dressed in jeans, overalls and ugly pastel-color shirts and her hair done in a decisively unflattering perm for most of the movie, Jeon Do-yeon as Su-hyeon makes a daring choice of presenting herself as a plain, homey figure, perhaps even subject to bouts of girlish delusion. Her gamble pays off handsomely, as we cannot help but be drawn to her warm, thoughtful personality. - Koreanfilm.org

A Promise (1998)

A Promise more than anything else is shaped around the character of the doctor; a bright, confident woman who demands as much from her relationship as she is willing to put into it. The performance given by Jeon Do-yeon is, in my opinion, the main factor in this film's popular success. In return, the film has made her into one of the industry's most recognized and biggest new stars. - Koreanfilm.org

Harmonium In My Memory (1999)

Jeon Do-yeon (The Contact, A Promise) is wonderful here once again as the 17-year old schoolgirl who battles with her timidity to make passes at her teacher. - Koreanfilm.org

Casting of the ebullient, cheeky youngsters is excellent, and as the dowdy teenage dreamer, Jeon is almost unrecognizable from her roles in local successes "The Contact" and "The Promise." - Variety.com

Happy End (1999)

The acting in this movie deserves special mention, with two of Korea's most talented actors giving virtuoso performances... actress Jeon Do-yeon shatters her earlier screen image with a daring, mesmerizing performance that sets her on a level apart from other actresses of her generation. - Koreanfilm.org

Popular actress Jeon, who starred opposite popular actors Han Suk-kyu ("Shiri") in the 1997 hit romance "The Contact (Cheob-sok)" and Sol Kyung-gu ("Peppermint Candy") in 2001's "I Wish I Had a Wife (Nado anaega isseosseumyeon johgessda)", casts off her usual warm and perky screen persona in her portrayal of the complex and sexually liberated Bo-ra. - Anthony Leong

I Wish I Had A Wife (2001)

There's a reason Jeon Do-yeon is the most sought after actress in Korea: she's simply phenomenal. Be it a shy country teenager in Harmonium in My Memory, a sexy but conflicted wife in Happy End, or her quirky performance in this film, she can adapt to pretty much any character with ease. - LoveHKfilm.com

No Blood, No Tears (2002)

Jeon do Heong (sic) as Soo-Jin takes what seems like a shallow role and turns it into something of substance... Hye-yeong Lee and Do-yeon Jeon who are downright brilliant, not to mention really sexy, especially the latter (who failed to get naked, which is the only BAD thing about this film). - CityonFire.com

Untold Scandal (2003)

Chameleon Jeon Do-yeon, reknowned for choosing widely diverse roles and playing them all equally well, takes the film's most serious part, and gives it great depth. - Koreanfilm.org

The real standout in the film is Do-yeon Jeon as Lady Jung. Behind her plain look she carves out a great performance of a very reserved woman who slowly gets broken down by matters of the heart- a heart that she has kept stifled, making her eventual heartbreak very deeply felt. - DVD Talk

Do-yeon Jeon is similarly stunning as Lady Suk, a tragic figure who is torn between her virtue and growing feelings of love and indeed lust. She is the film's emotional core, and carries this responsibility well, generating viewer sympathy and providing a plausible Achilles heel for Yong-jun Bae's heartless playboy. - BeyondHollywood.com

Jeon... managing the tricky balancing act of making Lady Jeong genuinely devout without being a naive pushover. - Variety.com

My Mother The Mermaid (2004)

I hate sounding like a skipping CD, but Jeon Do-yeon is absolutely brilliant here as she is anywhere. She is no less impressive essaying the role of soft-hearted and introverted Na-young than playing an uncultured but spunky Yeon-soon. It would have been so easy to turn the former into an annoyingly self-centered twerp, and the latter into a cartoon caricature defined by her funny accent, tanned skin and "cute" pigtails. Jeon resists all the easy choices and paints her characters in layers and layers of shadings, so much so that the range of her performance is difficult to appreciate in just one viewing. - Koreanfilm.org

...impressive dual performance of Jeon Do-yeon, one of Korea's most talented and versatile actresses. In her previous roles in such films as Happy End (1999), No Blood, No Tears (2002), and Untold Scandal (2002), she invested these radically diverse characters with a fierce vigor and intelligence, and she deftly pulls off her dual role here without extensive makeup or visual tricks. - New York Korean Film Festival 2005

You Are My Sunshine (2005)

Nonetheless this film confirms for me that Jeon Do-yeon simply operates on another plane from her contemporaries. She has so much visceral talent, and she's so convincing in her role that, ironically, it's easy to overlook her performance. She never looks like she's acting, she just morphs into the character. - Koreanfilm.org

Jeon Do-Yeon amazes with her ability to switch between tough cookie to sexy siren and helpless victim. - TheUrbanWire.com

An underlying sense of self-loathing nuances Jeon’s heartbreaking portrayal of a desperate woman who hides her agony behind her playful eyes and cheerful exterior. - movieXclusive.com

• 3 weeks later...

One of the best actresses ever!

Anybody knows what is her latest news recently?

And who is she going out with?

Her chemistry in Lovers in Prague was amazing with Kim Ju Hyeok... They should go out together...

Hello hane! I don't know anything about Jeon Do Yeon's lovelife. But here's the most recent news I found re her latest movie. :)

LEE Chang-dong Directs again after Four Years

Director LEE Chang-dong started filming Secret Sunshine last September. The film is set for a release in the spring of 2007. SONG Kang-ho and JEON Do-youn play the leading roles. SONG plays an owner of a car center who helps out a piano teacher played by JEON. LEE's last film was Oasis in 2002. LEE has been the minister of Culture and Tourism from 2002 until 2003 in ROH Moo-hyun's administration.

Director LEE Chang-dong directed three previous social and political critical films which immediately gained acclaim. His directorial debut was the drama Green Fish (1997) about a man who becomes involved with a criminal organization to help his family business. The film was awarded in Korea and internationally. His next feature Peppermint Candy dealt with Korea's tragic and violent modern history during the military dictatorships and the film also went on to win recognition and awards worldwide. Oasis (2002) would sweep four awards out of the five nominations at the 2002 Venice Film Festival, among other prizes. Oasis depicts a love story of two marginal figures in society.

SONG Kang-ho is currently enjoying the unprecedented success of the film The Host in Korea. Director BONG Joon-ho's popular and acclaimed film is also an international film festival's favorite with reported sold-out screenings and pre-sales. JEON Do-youn was praised for her roles in the drama You are My Sunshine - one of the popular films of 2005 and My Mother the Mermaid (2004).

Yi Ch'ang-ho (KOFIC)

Hi yoonah! Thanks for the news.

What's up with the "sunshine" movies... Haha. Well, yeah I did read up a bit on secret sunshine. Not that I'm superficial or anything but Song Kang Ho looks like her uncle. Heh. She should pair up with some handsome dude for her next gig. Probably her appeal will grow a bit more wider although there's no dispute about her great acting skills.

• 3 weeks later...

Posted by rubie at the News Thread.

Which Korean Stars Have the Greatest Pulling Power?

Who is the actor in Chungmuro today who can mobilize the greatest number of fans? And just how many tickets can be sold on the basis of that actor's name alone? We asked a group of 12 producers and PR execs that know actors' commercial value best who in Korea can "open" a movie and ranked the top 20 according to the result. It is the fourth survey of its kind and covers any actor who starred in at least one major film.

20061117001601gl9.jpg

Clockwise from top left: Song Kang-ho, Jang Dong-gun, Cho Seung-woo,

Jeon Ji-hyun, Jeon Do-yeon and Lee Young-ae

Top Stars

Song Kang-ho ranked first on the star power list among all actors and actresses. He is thought to have enough gravity to bring at least 1.28 million to the theaters, beating out last year's winner Jang Dong-gun (1.15 million). Proving his worth again this year in the lead of "The Host", Korea's greatest box office success, Song already landed the top spot in 2003. Of 12 experts that took part in the survey, 10 pointed to Song as the actor with the greatest ability to open a film. He ranked second last year.

Amongst women, perennial favorite Lee Young-ae came first with an estimated opening power of some 900,000 viewers. In the last three surveys, the actress came third. Topping the list despite the fact that she has not appeared in a film since last year's "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" is an additional feat. The failure of films starring last year's no. 1 and 2, Moon Geun-young ("Love Me Not") and Jeon Ji-hyun ("Daisy"), to live up to audience expectations also played a role in Lee’s rise to the top.

Familiar Faces

Among those trailing the two were a galaxy of stars in their 30s who managed to improve their standing, led by Jeon Do-yeon (second), Uhm Jung-hwa (ninth), Kim Hye-soo (11th) in the women's category, and Hwang Jung-min (eighth) and Lee Byung-hun (ninth) in the men's. Of particular note is Kim Hye-soo, unable even to make the top 20 last year following a string of appearances in box office disappointments and overall lack of good luck. She soared to 11th this time around after she landed a part that seemed perfect for her in "War of Flowers." In a year when competition was especially fierce, their ranking shows the tried and true commercial value of such stars.

Rising Stars

The biggest surprise was Cho In-sung. Not even included on the list last year, his performance in "A Dirty Carnival" brought him recognition as an actor and the fifth spot on the list. Nos. 3 to 5 on the list Cho Seung-woo, Kang Dong-won and Cho In-sung look like the glue that will hold Chungmuro together. Hyun Bin (16th) and Lee Jun-ki (19th) also garnered plaudits for their parts this year. There were no new female stars on the list, but Song Hye-kyo (14th), Choi Kang-hee (19th) and Goh Hyun-jeong (20) were all either in their first film or part of hits that brought them new recognition as actors.

Endangered Species

The two stars whose draw dwindled the most this year were Kwon Sang-woo and Kang Hye-jeong. No. 3 last year, Kwon was not part of any box office successes this year, and found himself amid a swirl of rumors that cost him 10 spots on the list. Rising like a comet last year, Kang Hye-jeong was in the flop "Love Phobia," which sent her plummeting again from fifth to 18th.

I just watched shooting stars and I thought she was great it that!

Hope JDY has recovered from her hypothermia because of her filming of Secret Sunshinr...

Aja Fighting! Heh...

• 2 months later...