Jeon Do-Yeon 전도연 [Drama “Crash Course in Romance” | Movie “Kill Boksoon” (NETFLIX)]

Helena

December 19, 2019

‘Beasts Clawing at Straws’ to get premiere at Film Festival Rotterdam

By Park Yuna The Korea Herald

Korean film “Beasts Clawing at Straws” has been invited to International Film Festival Rotterdam to screen early next year, marking its world premiere at the film festival.

The film is one of 10 films to have its world premiere at the film festival, as it also competes for the top honor of the film festival, the Tiger Award, according to IFFR. 

20191219000471_0.jpg
"Beasts Clawing at Straws” (Megabox Plus M)

The annual film festival, which is scheduled to for Jan. 23-Feb. 2, focuses on recent works by talented new filmmakers and unveils a lineup of mostly independent or documentary feature films.

A number of Korean films have won the Tiger Award in the past, including “The Journals of Musan” in 2010, “Breathless” in 2009 and “Jealousy Is My Middle Name” in 2002.

“Beasts Clawing at Straws,” directed by Kim Yong-hoon, is a crime film that follow characters who covet a Louis Vuitton bag packed with cash.

The movie stars Jeon Do-yeon, who won the best actress award at the Cannes Film Festival in 2007, top actor Jung woo-sung and veteran actress Yoon Yeo-jeong. It is scheduled to hit theaters in Korea in February.

By Park Yuna (yunapark@heraldcorp.com)

December 26, 2019

Jeon Do-yeon and Jung Woo-sung Talk About "Beasts Clawing at Straws"

By William Schwartz on HanCinema.net

photo1136272.jpg

"Beasts Clawing at Straws" won't come out until February of next year. But the project has already neen raising interest. In an already highly varied career, Jeon Do-yeon now adds another unusual role in the form of Yeon-hee, a sinister lowlife who competes with other lowlifes in the film to try and grab a hold of a bag of money.

photo1136271.jpg

The tone of the work is not actually that different from "The Shameless", a low class film noir where Jeon Do-yeon starred back in 2014. But Jeon Do-yeon is expected to play an active, rather than a passive role in "Beasts Clawing at Straws". Jeon Do-yeon has described her character as being intense and rough. She also described the makeup required to play Yeon-hee as similarly pointed and aggressive, describing the costuming as making her feel more comfortable doing the role.

Jung Woo-sung claims that the most important reason why he joined "Beasts Clawing at Straws" was that he knew Jeon Do-yeon was already attached to the project. He described her as an extremely capable professional. Jung Woo-sung described her as being very trustworthy, even though he worked with her for only a short time. "Beasts Clawing at Straws" is expected to release sometime in February of 2020.

Written by William Schwartz

December 27, 2019

BEASTS CLAWING AT STRAWS Invited to IFFR Tiger Competition
6 Korean Films to Screen in Rotterdam

by Pierce Conran KOFIC

bfmQvJYCeCvsEmlhYFYw.jpg

The new Korean thriller BEASTS CLAWING AT STRAWS (2020) from debut director KIM Yong-hoon will have its world premiere at the International Film Festival Rotterdam in the Tiger Competition. Centering around a Louis Vuitton bag filled with cash, the film stars JEON Do-yeon (Secret Sunshine, 2007), JUNG Woo-sung (Asura : The City of Madness, 2016) and BAE Sung-woo (The King, 2017), among many others. It is scheduled to open domestically in mid-February. A total of six Korean films have been invited to Rotterdam this year.

Korean films have long been popular in Rotterdam, and to date, five have picked up the Tiger Award there: HONG Sangsoo’s The Day a Pig Fell Into a Well in 1996, PARK Chan-ok’s Jealousy Is My Middle Name in 2003, YANG Ik-june’s Breathless in 2009, PARK Jung-bum’s The Journals of Musan in 2011 and LEE Su-jin’s Han Gong-ju in 2014. 

Spoiler

Moving On, the debut of YUN Dan-bi, will be having its international premiere in the Bright Future Competition. The acclaimed work had its debut at the Busan International Film Festival, where it earned the Citizen Critics, NETPAC, KTH and DGK Awards. Also in the Bright Future selection but not in competition, is The Pregnant Tree and the Goblin by KIM Dong-ryung and PARK Kyoung-tae, the directing duo behind the documentary Tour of Duty (2016). The Pregnant Tree and the Goblin, their first narrative feature, also debuted in Busan.

Three Korean features will take part in the Voices lineup. KIM Seung-woo’s missing child thriller Bring Me Home screened at the Toronto International film Festival and is the comeback project of Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2005) star LEE Young-ae. Former Tiger Award winner PARK Jung-bum returns to Rotterdam with Not in This World, which also debuted in Busan in October. Not in This World is PARK’s second film this year, following the feature version of his made-for-TV film Height of the Wave, which screened at the Jeonju International Film Festival before picking up a Special Jury Prize at the Locarno International Film Festival this summer. Finally, a black and white version of BONG Joon-ho’s sensation PARASITE will screen for the first time in Rotterdam. BONG also presented a black and white version of his acclaimed film Mother (2009), which was first unveiled at the Mar Del Plata International Film Festival in 2013.

This year’s 49th IFFR, which began on January 22nd, will conclude on February 2nd.

Beasts Clawing at Straws - Visual Video

Published on January 2, 2020 by HanCinema

Elated to have JDY onboard Emergency Declaration aeroplane.gif

January 3, 2020

Jeon Do Yeon Joins EMERGENCY DECLARATION

Source: StarNews (Google-gist) // EmergencyDeclaration@Soompi

2020010308595348387_1.jpg

Top actress Jeon Do Yeon has confirmed to join Director Han Jae Rim's 'Declaration of Emergency' alongside Song Kang Ho and Lee Byung Hun.

According to the movie industry on the 3rd, actress Jeon Do Yeon recently decided to appear in the upcoming movie 'Emergency Declaration' and is currently adjusting the details. 'Emergency Declaration' is a film about aviation disaster by director Han Jae Rim who previously directed movie 'The King'.

In mid- 2019, the casting news of top actors Song Kang Ho and Lee Byung Hun have attracted much attention from both inside and outside the film industry. The new project marks the 4th work after past collaboration in 'Joint Security Area', 'The Good, The Bad, The Weird' and 'The Age of Shadows'. Jeon Do Yeon is expected to appear as a minister in the 'Emergency Declaration' making her a strong match in the leading lineup and further enriching the movie.

Jeon Do Yeon who is coming out with her new movie 'Beast Clawing at Straws' in February will start shooting 'Emergency Declaration' with a completely different character. 'Emergency Declaration' will begin filming in the first half of  2020 after finishing major casting roles.

January 6, 2020

Jeon Do Yeon In Talks To Reunite With Song Kang Ho And Lee Byung Hun In New Film

Source: Soompi by S. Park

Jeon Do Yeon In Talks To Reunite With Song Kang Ho And Lee Byung Hun In New Film

Jeon Do Yeon may be reuniting with her former co-stars Song Kang Ho and Lee Byung Hun in a new movie!

On January 3, Jeon Do Yeon’s agency Management SOOP confirmed, “Jeon Do Yeon has received a casting offer for ‘Declaration of Emergency’ [literal title] and is currently reviewing the offer with a favorable outlook.”

“Declaration of Emergency” will be directed by director Han Jae Rim, whose previous filmography includes “Rules of Dating,” “The Show Must Go On,” “The Face Reader,” and “The King.” The title of the film refers to an aviation term used when a pilot determines that normal operation of a plane is no longer possible in the face of disaster and announces the need for an urgent landing at all costs.

According to the film’s co-production company CJes Entertainment, Song Kang Ho and Lee Byung Hun have already been confirmed for the cast. Jeon Do Yeon has experience working with both actors in the past: she starred in both “The Harmonium in My Memory” and “Memories of the Sword” with Lee Byung Hun, and she starred in “Secret Sunshine” with Song Kang Ho.

If she decides to accept her offer, Jeon Do Yeon will start filming for “Declaration of Emergency” after the release of her upcoming movie “Beasts that Cling to the Straw,” which premieres in theaters on February 12.

Source (1) (2)

• 4 weeks later...

January 24, 2020

Jeon Do-yeon, Jung Woo-sung Co-Star for 1st Time in Their 30-Year Careers

Source: The ChosunIlbo

2020012400041_0.jpg

Jeon Do-yeon and Jung Woo-sung, perhaps Korea's most celebrated stars, are co-starring in a film for the first time in their careers spanning almost 30 years.

Jeon, who won the best actress award at the Cannes Film Festival in 2007, debuted in 1992, and Jung in 1994.

The two will appear in the crime thriller "Beasts Clawing at Straws," which is set for release next month.

At a recent press event for the film, they talked about how they felt about their first appearance together.

"I felt awkward and shy at first. It took me some time to get used to [filming together] although we've known each other for a long time. By the time I did, shooting had finished and I wished there were more left to do," Jeon said.

But Jung said he had decided to join the project because of Jeon. "I chose the film because I wanted to work with her. I really mean it. Many people think we had worked together previously, but we never had the opportunity. I hope we can get together again for another project," Jung said.

Based on the Japanese novel of the same title by Keisuke Sone, the crime film revolves around eight lowlifes chasing after a bag full of cash.

The movie will hit local theaters on Feb. 12.

January 29, 2020

Movie Information:

EMERGENCY DECLARATION to start filming in March 

Source: Naver via Extreme Movie (Google translate)

0000793892_001_20200129065819754.png.jpg

As early as March, they will begin filming the movie Emergency Declaration (director Han Jae Rim). The aviation disaster movie has emerged as one of the most anticipated works produced this year due to the collaboration of three top Korean stars recognized as representative actors of Korean films both at home and abroad.

Emergency Declaration depicts the struggles of those who died to prevent disasters inside the aircraft. Song Kang Ho and Lee Byung Hun will be playing characters struggling on the ground & on the plane to protect loved ones, and overcoming the disaster. Jeon Do Yeon is playing the role of minister.

An official of the production announced on January 28, "We are also working on casting the rest of the cast in addition to the main roles."

EMERGENCY DECLARATION

Director: Han Jae Rim (The Show Must Go On, The King)

Starring: Song Kang Ho, Lee Byung Hun, Jeon Do Yeon

Distribution: Showbox

Net production cost. 15 billion ₩ (approx: 12 Million USD)

A disaster thriller about the story that ensues when an aircraft disaster declares an emergency declaration

2020 opening

January 29, 2020

JEON Do-yeon Mulls EMERGENCY DECLARATION

Actress Looks to Reunite with LEE Byung-hun and SONG Kang-ho

by Pierce Conran KOFIC

JSMYMCmQPuUyVfLWxqCk.jpg

According to her agency Management SOOP, JEON Do-yeon is positively considering an offer to appear in the upcoming disaster film Emergency Declaration (literal title). Is she signs on, she will join a cast that already includes acting titans SONG Kang-ho and LEE Byung-hun in a film to be directed by The King (2017) helmer HAN Jae-rim.

Though full details are not yet known, the film will focus on a plane that must make an emergency landing.

JEON Do-yeon and LEE Byung-hun have previously appeared together on screen in The Harmonium in My Memory (1999), Memories of the Sword (2015) and ASHFALL (2019), in which JEON makes a special appearance and which is currently in theaters. Meanwhile JEON has also co-starred with SONG Kang-ho in one of her most memorable films, Secret Sunshine (2007), a role that earned her a Best Actress Award from the Cannes Film Festival.

The actress’ most recent starring role was in the drama Birthday (2019), while she is slated to be back in theatres next month in the thriller BEASTS CLAWING AT STRAWS, which will screen in competition at the International Film Festival Rotterdam.

Following ASHFALL (2019), LEE will be back in theatres next week for the period political thriller The Man Standing Next. SONG starred in BONG Joon-ho’s PARASITE and the period drama The King’s Letters in 2019.

Director HAN’s previous films also include Rules of Dating (2005), and The Show Must Go On (2007) and The Face Reader (2013), both starring SONG Kang-ho. Emergency Declaration will begin shooting after casting has been finalized and will be distributed by CJ Entertainment. 

February 3, 2020

“Beasts Clawing at Straws” wins jury award at Rotterdam

By Choi Ji-won The Korea Herald

“Beasts Clawing at Straws” (Megabox Joongang Plus M)
“Beasts Clawing at Straws” (Megabox Joongang Plus M)

Crime noir film “Beasts Clawing at Straws” has won the special jury award at the International Film Festival Rotterdam.

The first feature from director Kim Yong-hoon nabbed the award at this year’s Rotterdam Tiger Competition, where up-and-coming international filmmakers compete with their debut pieces, the movie’s distributor Megabox Joongang Plus M announced Monday.

The jury for the Tiger Competition also honored “The Cloud in Her Room” by Zheng Lu Xinyuan. The Tiger Award comes with prize money of 40,000 euros ($44,300), while the special jury award doles out 10,000 euros.

The jury described Kim‘s film as “a strong first film which is resolutely inscribed in an existing genre but demonstrates undeniable craftsmanship -- from the screenplay to the performance to the temporal flexibility of structure.”

“Beasts Clawing at Straws” revolves around eight people struggling to grab a bag of cash, driven by different desires, but all aiming for what they believe is the last, best chance in their lives. The story is based on Keisuke Sone’s Japanese novel of the same title.

“Beasts Clawing at Straws” poster (Megabox Joongang Plus M)
“Beasts Clawing at Straws” poster (Megabox Joongang Plus M)

Cannes-winning actress Jeon Do-yeon and actor Jung Woo-sung appeared together for the first time in the movie -- Jeon as a woman who deceives her lover for money, and Jung as the scorned lover seeking revenge.

Renowned actor Bae Sung-woo stars as the man who first discovers the central Louis Vuitton bag filled with cash, while actress Youn Yuh-jung plays the man’s elderly mother.

“Rotterdam has gifted me with so many special first moments. I met my first audience at the festival’s premiere and I was given the first prize in life. I’m grateful to the organizers for making my first experiences so beautiful,” director Kim said in accepting the award.

According to Megabox Joongang Plus M, the cast members will head for Switzerland next month to compete at the 34th Fribourg International Film Festival, slated to run March 20-28.

“Beasts Clawing at Straws” will open in local cinemas on Feb. 12.

By Choi Ji-won  (jwc@heraldcorp.com)

February 4, 2020

Movie ticket sales fall to 8-year low in January

SEOUL. Feb. 4 (Yonhap) -- South Korean movie theaters saw their total monthly admissions for January drop to an eight-year low, data showed Tuesday, amid fears of the rapid spread of the new coronavirus.

According to data compiled by the Korean Film Council, a total of 16.8 million people went to theaters over the one-month period.

It is the lowest January score since 2012, when the local box office posted 16.6 million in admissions in the month.

The decrease came as people have refrained from going to cinemas in the last two weeks amid rising concerns over the contagious virus. Since South Korea reported the first confirmed case on Jan. 20, the tally has risen to 16 as of Tuesday.

During the four-day Lunar New Year holiday from Jan. 24-27, 4.95 million tickets were sold, slightly up from 4.88 million people tallied a year earlier. But the number fell to a daily 280,000 on Friday last week.

The downbeat trend of the number of moviegoers is expected to continue in February as 820,000 people came to theaters Saturday and Sunday, compared with about 2.7 million admissions recorded in the previous week and about 1.2 million two weeks ago.

Film distributors are considering delaying the local release of new films due to the virus outbreak.

Distributor Megabox Plus said Tuesday it will reschedule the release of the Korean crime thriller "Beasts Clawing At Straws." The film starring Jeon Do-yeon and Jung Woo-sung was set to hit local theaters on Feb. 12.

A Seoul movie theater on Feb. 2, 2020 (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

A Seoul movie theater on Feb. 2, 2020 (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

brk@yna.co.kr

February 11, 2020

Herald Interview: Jeon Do-yeon can now dream about an Oscar
Cannes-winning actress congratulates Bong on Oscars, discusses ‘Beasts Clawing at Straws’  

By Choi Ji-won The Korea Herald

Jeon Do-yeon (Megabox Joongang Plus M)
Jeon Do-yeon (Megabox Joongang Plus M)

Veteran actress Jeon Do-yeon and Jung Woo-sung came together for the first time in the upcoming film “Beasts Clawing at Straws.” The debut feature by director Kim Yong-hoon recently won the Special Jury Award of the Tiger Competition at the Rotterdam Film Festival.

The crime noir revolves around eight desperate individuals who chase after a mysterious Louis Vuitton bag full of cash. Jeon plays Yeon-hee, a former bar owner, and Jung, corrupt customs officer Tae-young.

Yeon-hee appears almost at the midpoint of the movie, but she is the most impactful character in the film. She is fierce and reckless -- even smashing a bottle on a rude customer’s head in one scene.

“I tried to loosen up my acting as much as possible,” Jeon said Tuesday during a joint interview in Seoul. “My appearance itself was too powerful, so I tried to make it seem as if it were nothing.”

Jeon Do-yeon in
Jeon Do-yeon in "Beasts Clawing at Straws" (Megabox Joongang Plus M)

Jeon said the script of the movie -- an omnibus consisting of six episodes that make up the larger plot -- captivated her when she first read it.

“It was a noir film that I hadn’t seen before. The time setting and each of the character’s stories were all unique,” she said.

On her first partnership with Jung, Jeon described the experience as awkward but memorable.

“Even though I had partnered with many new actors in the past. I think it was awkwardness about Jung’s acting of Tae-young,” the actress said. “Jung seemed to just throw himself into the story to actualize the character, and I was intrigued by that. I felt there was a part of Jung that I didn’t know.”

For her next piece with Jung, Jeon said she would like to take a shot at a comedy flick, a genre the actress has not tried since winning the Cannes best actress award with “Sunshine” in 2007. Jeon has since been an icon of arthouse films. 

“Everyone who knows me says I’ll be great in comedies,” she said. “I’m a very joyful person but I feel like I have been limiting myself to certain genres. I feel it is a shame to make use of myself only like this.”

Jung Woo-sung (left) and Jeon Do-yeon in
Jung Woo-sung (left) and Jeon Do-yeon in "Beasts Clawing at Straws." (Megabox Joongang Plus M)

Jeon said she is still striving to become an actor deserving of the Cannes award.

“I’ve always felt the thirst to fill the gap between the actress ‘Jeon Do-yeon’ and the title ‘Queen of Cannes.’ It’s difficult realistically speaking, but I always have the thirst.”

Part of those efforts are her works with budding directors, including Kim of “Beasts Clawing at Straws,” and Lee Jeong-eon of “Birthday.”

“There are many great filmmakers such as Bong Joon-ho and Park Chan-wook, and the audience is always ready to listen to their stories. But in the case of newcomers, it’s not like that. If there are stories that intrigue me, I want to introduce them to the audience,” Jeon said.

The actress congratulated director Bong on winning four Oscars with “Parasite” the previous day.

“When I heard he had received the best picture award, I was just dumbfounded by the news,” Jeon said. “I feel he has opened opportunities for us (fellow Korean cineastes). While winning the Cannes was a very rare event for South Korea, Academy was another level. But now it’s not anymore and it (Academy win) has now become something I can dream about.”

“Beasts Clawing at Straws” will be released Feb. 19, following a delay prompted by the novel coronavirus outbreak.

By Choi Ji-won (jwc@heraldcorp.com)

February 15, 2020

Finding delight in playing evil: In ‘Beasts Clawing at Straws,’ Jeon Do-yeon’s character can’t be stopped

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

14194856.jpg

Almost 30 years into her career, actor Jeon Do-yeon has finally been given a chance to play a character who’s evil not because of her heartbreaking past but because she is truly evil at her core.

“Beasts Clawing at Straws” is a 108-minute film slated to hit theaters on Wednesday featuring Jeon, Jung Woo-sung, Yoon Yeo-jeong, Shin Hyun-been and Jung Ga-ram, who each show different - yet similarly ugly - sides of themselves in a desperate chase for a bag full of cash. Jeon transformed herself into Yeon-hee, a sociopath determined to change her life by erasing all traces of her past. She may not appear on screen until 50 minutes into the film, but she easily overwhelms the audience with her charisma.

“Usually with characters, I think about how they would have been in the past, before the scenes in the movie,” Jeon said. “But with Yeon-hee, I didn’t have to project anything onto her because it felt like everything she did was exactly like what she would have done in the past.”

Jeon met with the Korea JoongAng Daily ahead of the film’s release at a cafe in Samcheong-dong, central Seoul. “Beasts” was initially scheduled to premiere on Feb. 12 but was postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak. The R-rated crime thriller is the first feature film from director Kim Yong-hoon.

Jeon said that the experience of playing Yeon-hee was actually more refreshing than difficult.

“The sociopathic sides of Yeon-hee were just so interesting and fun,” she said.

“The Yeon-hee now is the same Yeon-hee as she was in the past. It felt so liberating to play a character who doesn’t have a long history. When I read the script, Yeon-hee was just built so perfectly that I didn’t need to make anything more out of her. It felt so simple, and I told myself that I should play her simply.”

Although the plot itself, in which people from different walks of life battle over a large cash prize, may not be unheard of, Jeon says that the way the story unfolds is what makes it unique, in omnibus episodes surrounding one subject.

14194923.jpg
Thriller “Beasts Clawing At Straws” hits theaters this Wednesday. Jeon Do-yeon plays Yeon-hee, right, a purely evil character. She ruins the life of Tae-young, left, played by Jung Woo-sung, after she leaves him with a pile of debt and runs away. [MEGABOX PLUS M]

“When I read the script, I almost felt like I was playing hide and seek,” said Jeon. “I was worried about a lot of things to be honest. Could we cast all these people? When we had them all, could we really start? Could we really put all of the stories of these people into one movie because every character was so important? But I wanted to believe in the director because he was the one who came up with everything.

“But when I started shooting - I join mid-way through the shoot - I found out that the director was really enjoying himself on set. He felt so relaxed that it surprised me. It wouldn’t have been easy, but I felt like he was truly enjoying himself, unlike other rookie directors [I’ve come across].”

Within the film, Yeon-hee has history with Jung Woo-sung’s character Tae-young, a Korea Customs Service worker who finds himself in a struggle with loan sharks because of Yeon-hee. Jung may have been known as a heartthrob in his younger years, but he has also played some of his toughest roles in recent years including a North Korean solider in “Steel Rain” (2017) and a corrupt prosecutor in “The King” (2016). For Jung, playing Tae-young was no walk in the park.

“I was really shook by his portrayal of his trashy character,” she said.

“We needed some time to get used to our relationship as a couple, but the scene that showed that we had a history was so short that we almost had to just push through it. I had a rough idea of how Tae-young would be reading the script, but Jung Woo-sung’s Tae-young almost had me confused. When we got through our first scene, where we were eating and talking, then it worked out. I actually felt like it was a pity that it ended right when the two people’s relationship was just starting to get more fun.”

The fact that Yeon-hee doesn’t appear on screen in the first 50 minutes of the film is also fun, according to Jeon. It makes it “refreshing and different” from other movies that a main character doesn’t appear right away and even when she does, she’s nothing like you expect her to be.

“Not restraining the main character to one single idea is so new I think,” she said.

“I hope that this is a chance for the audience to see a new side of actor Jeon Do-yeon - as someone with more charms than meets the eye. But it was also a chance for me to take a little break because you can’t always push yourself. That just takes the fun away from it. Sometimes you run and run away from a project, but you just end up doing it. At the end of the day, I guess I want to try new things.”

Just as her character doesn’t have a complicated history or background, Jeon was more impressed with how the director didn’t really create a deep underlying message to the audience.

“I really liked the fact that there wasn’t a message or a moral of the story,” Jeon said. “People think they’ll be happy with money. But money’s not the absolute means of happiness. You can be happy with it or without it. It’s about what idea you have that matters.”

This year will mark Jeon’s 30th anniversary as an actor, although her first appearance on screen wasn’t in a drama or movie, but through an advertisement for Johnson & Johnson. When asked how she felt about her long career, her answer was definitely not what was expected.

“I hate it,” she said. “I do think, ‘Wow, I really tried my best.’ I feel proud of myself for having done everything. But even though I did live through that time, not everything went the way I planned it. But I do thank myself.”

The buzz around “Beasts” is palpable. It has sold its film distribution rights to 80 regions, including Hong Kong, Malaysia, Vietnam, France and North America. It also took home the Special Jury Award at the International Film Festival Rotterdam earlier this month. The thriller was invited to screen and compete at four other international film fests this year - the Fribourg International Film Festival, the Moscow International Film Festival, the Far East Film Festival and the Red Sea International Film Festival.

With the news of Bong Joon-ho’s “Parasite” becoming Asia’s first Academy Award-winning film, Jeon says that a new chapter for Korean films, and hopefully for herself as well, is about to begin.

“I think [that winning an Oscar] is such a historical feat,” she said. “It’s opened up a new door for everyone, for every actor and director.”

BY LEE JAE-LIM, YOON SO-YEON [yoon.soyeon@joongang.co.kr]

variety-1.jpg

February 20, 2020

Parasite’ Star Song Kang-ho To Lead Stellar Cast of ‘Emergency Declaration’ (EXCLUSIVE)

By PATRICK FRATER Variety.com

Lee Byung-hun, Song Kang-ho, and Jeon Do-yeon
CREDIT: COURTESY OF SHUTTERSTOCK AND SHOWBOX

“Parasite” star Song Kang-ho will head the cast of airborne disaster action move “Emergency Declaration.” Jeon Do-yeon and Lee Byung-hun co-star, making “Declaration” one of the powerful casts ever assembled in a Korean movie.

The film is in pre-production and aiming for an end-of-year release. Leading studio Showbox will begin pre-sales during this week’s European Film Market.

Showbox pitches it as ”an airborne blockbuster about an aircraft forced to declare an emergency when an unprecedented terror incident occurs in-flight.” It is to be directed by Han Jae-rim, who previously enjoyed success with “The King” and the Song-starring 2013 drama “The Face Reader.”

Jeon won a best actor award at Cannes in 2007 for “Secret Sunshine,” and has other credits that include “Untold Scandal” and “The Housemaid.” Lee is one of Korea’s finest thespians and a rarity who has managed to build a career on both sides of the Pacific. His Hollywood titles include “G.I. Joe” and “Reds” while his Korean roles include “Ashfall,” “I Saw the Devil,” “A Bittersweet Life” and “JSA: Joint Security Area.”

Song has been the face of Korean cinema for two decades, with a career that tracks many of its landmark moments. His standout roles include “Shiri” (1999) directed by Kang Je-gyu; Kim Jee-woon’s wrestling comedy “The Foul King” (2000); Park Chan-wook’s “Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance” (2002); and Bong Joon-ho’s “Memories of Murder” (2003) and “Snowpiercer” in 2013. He was last year the first Asian actor to be honored by the Locarno film festival with its Excellence Award.

At Berlin, Showbox is also representing upcoming titles “Sinkhole,” a disaster drama about a house that is swallowed up, now in post; fantasy drama “Our Season”; and comedy action film “The Golden Holiday,” about a family holiday in the Philippines that turns into a murder investigation. It is also selling the drama “The Man Standing Next,” which stars Lee Byung in a tale of espionage and political maneuvering that last month grossed $34 million.

February 25, 2020

Korean Box Office

‘Beasts Clawing at Straws’ tops a suffering weekend box office

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

Local box office sales plummeted as the number of confirmed cases of coronavirus spiked across the country.

“Beasts Clawing at Straws” finished the slow weekend in the top spot, selling 223,000 tickets to 991 screenings. Although the film pushed its release date back a week in the hopes that the outbreak would subside, the film’s box office sales took a major hit as the number of confirmed cases rapidly increased.

Starring a veteran cast of Jeon Do-yeon, Yoon Yeo-jeong, Jung Woo-sung, Bae Sung-woo and more, the story centers around eight desperate characters each trying to attain a bag of cash that could change their lives.

The Oscar-winning “1917” placed second, drawing 170,000 moviegoers to 884 screens. With field telephones cut by the German army, it is up to two British soldiers to personally carry a message to the Devonshire Regiment to halt a scheduled attack that could kill hundreds of soldiers.

“Honest Candidate” slid to third place selling 142,000 tickets to 962 screenings.

“Little Women” took fourth place, selling 80,000 tickets to 723 showings, and “The Closet” placed fifth after attracting 27,000 people to 450 screenings.

Over the weekend, a total of 505,000 people visited theaters across the country, less than half of the number from the previous weekend, when 1.2 million people made their way to local cinemas.

Meanwhile, premieres for upcoming films are beginning to be put on indefinite hold until the ongoing outbreak dies down.

Upcoming local films “Time to Hunt” and “Innocence” were the first to call off their scheduled events and put their local premieres on an indefinite hold.

“Time to Hunt,” which was supposed to hit theaters on Wednesday, is director Yoon Sung-hyun’s first thriller and stars Lee Je-hoon, Ahn Jae-hong, Choi Woo-shik, Park Jung-min and Park Hae-soo. The story is set in a dystopian future where four friends work to execute a dangerous plan in the hopes of starting off fresh, but it is cut off by Han (played by Park Hae-soo), a hunter who tries to kill them.

“Innocence,” starring Shin Hae-sun and Bae Jong-ok, was supposed to be released on March 5. The film tells the story of Jung-in (played by Shin), an elite lawyer trying to prove her mother’s innocence. Her mother (played by Bae), suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, is a suspect for a murder that occurred at her husband’s funeral. Both films were scheduled to hold press events, promotions and interviews this week, but all events were canceled over the weekend.

CJ ENM announced Monday that the release of a black-and-white version of “Parasite” was also postponed indefinitely. Mystery-thriller “Call,” starring Park Shin-hye and Jun Jong-seo, and documentary “The Wandering Chef” also had their releases delayed.

Pixar film “Onward,” featuring the voices of Tom Holland and Chris Pratt, pushed back its local premiere from March to April.

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you a lot for starting this thread! She is arms down, certainly one of THE quality actors in korea. I like her in each function. She's so actual as every unmarried one among her characters, i don't know how she does it. I watched her in a YSMM episode once, and when she first began acting,using my horizon blog almost everyone in her acting employer, and so forth, spread rumors that she were given her first starring role via drowsing around [with the top executives, etc of the company.]

March 8, 2020

March Movie Star Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

Source: Soompi by E. Cha

The Korean Business Research Institute has revealed this month’s brand reputation rankings for film actors!

The rankings were determined through an analysis of the consumer participation, media coverage, interaction, and community awareness indexes of 50 popular movie stars, using big data collected from February 6 to March 7.

Spoiler

The stars of the award-winning film “Parasite” dominated this month’s list, sweeping the top three spots for March (four if you count Park Seo Joon, who made a cameo appearance in the film and came in at No. 4 for the month).

Song Kang Ho, Jo Yeo Jeong, and Lee Jung Eun rose to No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3 in this month’s rankings respectively. Several of their co-stars also made it into the top 15, with Choi Woo Shik at No. 7, Lee Sun Gyun at No. 8, Park So Dam at No. 12, and Jang Hye Jin at No. 14.

High-ranking phrases in Song Kang Ho’s keyword analysis included “Academy,” “Bong Joon Ho,” and “Parasite,” while his highest-ranking related terms included “recognize,” “attend,” and “donate.”

Song Kang Ho’s brand reputation index for the month came out to 10,978,294, while his co-star Jo Yeo Jeong followed close behind with a total index of 9,668,655. Finally, Lee Jung Eun scored a total index of 7,769,994 for March.

Check out the top 30 for this month below!

1. Song Kang Ho
2. Jo Yeo Jeong
3. Lee Jung Eun
4. Park Seo Joon
5. Hyun Bin
6. Son Ye Jin
7. Choi Woo Shik
8. Lee Sun Gyun
9. Gong Yoo
10. Kim Da Mi
11. Kim Hye Soo
12. Park So Dam
13. Lee Kwang Soo
14. Jang Hye Jin
15. Jung Woo Sung
16. Lee Byung Hun
17. Park Hae Jin
18. Kim Min Jae
19. Shim Eun Kyung
20. Ahn Jae Hong
21. Lee Jung Jae
22. Kim Nam Gil
23. Kim Min Hee
24. Kim Ji Young
25. Lee Yi Kyung
26. Yoo Jae Myung
27. Park Myung Hoon
28. Lee Young Ae
29. Jeon Do Yeon
30. Kang Ha Neul

Source (1)

• 2 weeks later...

March 21, 2020

Sports Chosun 30th Anniversary Survey

Bong Joon Ho X Song Kang Ho X Lee Byung Hun - the top 3 Korean movie power

Source: Sports Chosun (Google-translate)

Spoiler

2020032101001640300102481.jpg

Sports Chosun surveyed about 100 people, including broadcasters, movie producers, music affiliates, and experts, in conjunction of the 30th anniversary of the foundation, and collected opinions through the process of 'Movie, Power People in each field such as broadcasting and singing were selected.

In the fields of film, drama, and entertainment, 47 people from the film industry and 41 companies from the drama / entertainment category voted the top three people. [Reporter Jo Ji-young of Sports Chosun]

A new century of Korean cinema began over 100 years of history. Bong Joon Ho, actor Song Kang Ho, and Lee Byung Hun have been selected as the top 3 movie world power to lead the new 100 years of Korean cinema. Among them, Bong Joon Ho had became the 'Oscar Legend'. 

Power people who will lead the next 100 years of Korean cinema (a total of 47 reps & companies participated)

1. Bong Joog Ho (director) 39 (votes)

2. Song Kang Ho (actor) 10

3. Lee Byung Hun (actor) 8

4. Lee Byung Hun (director) 7

5. Kim Yong Hwa (Director) 5

5. Choi Dong Hoon (Director) 5

5. Lee Mi Kyung (producer) 5

8. Kim Tae Ri (actor) 4

8. Kim Bora (director) 4

10. Kang Hye Jung (producer) 3

10. Ma Dong Seok (actor) 3

10. Kwak Shin Ae (producer) 3