Jung Ryeo Won 정려원

Guest coreana

On 20/10/2017 at 4:24 AM, paulbeolou said:

Hello !!

I discovered Jung Ryeo Won in " Witch's Court " and I really liked her ! But in this drama, she's very chill, but when she smile, she looks very kind and warm.
So I think she's different from her role. I watched some videos about her in real life, and she looks kind. But I can't figure out her real personality. She's not as chill as her character, of course, but how is she ?

Do you know a bit about her personality ? I just wonder... Is she shy ? Introvert ? Outgoing ? 4D ? Innocent ? Pure ? Kind ? etc...

Thank you very much !!!

well, she's kinda introvert, but she's very kind and friendly. She loves cats and loves painting, she has her own studio just for art 

On 2/11/2017 at 6:14 AM, paulbeolou said:

Yes, it's her. But I don't know where this picture come from, but I'm pretty sure it's from a movie.

this photo her Ryeo Won is from the movie 2 faces of my girlfriend

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, trinhvien2101 said:

well, she's kinda introvert, but she's very kind and friendly. She loves cats and loves painting, she has her own studio just for art 

Thanks for the info. Wow...she loves painting and has her own studio just for art. I love that and hopefully i can see her artwork someday.

I'm a long time JRW fan. I discovered her in My Kimsamsoon.  That time she was in her early days becoming an actress. Eventhough she was a rookie in the drama , she effortless delivered  a good show with her  delicate and fragile  character. With her sincere and charming smile...she's made a fan in me. I have seen 3 dramas of her so far....kim samsoon, salaryman cho hanji and the kings drama. But meeting her again in witch court bring back my those sentimental feelings about her. She is so good in witch court with her shameless, cunning, brazen and wicked personality in doing her job as a prosecuter. I think her witch Ma Yi Deum is the best character from all her characters in the past. She has already bewitching me....nowadays when I see her wide smiling in witch court,  I 'm just feeling something fishy and witty going on in her head and just in time she will act accordingly to the idea. Her smile is no more charming for me . But that just for the drama. In her real life I know she is a friendly and good person.

22 hours ago, trinhvien2101 said:

Oh thank you very much !! I thought she was kind and introvert. ^^

17 hours ago, sima158 said:

Her smile is no more charming for me . But that just for the drama. In her real life I know she is a friendly and good person.

I think the same ! In the drama, her smile is "machiavellian" ah ah. But not in real life. She's a good actress ^^

And do you know if she have a boyfriend/husband ? I only can find rumors with Nam Tae Hyun (from Winner) on internet. Do you know if it's real ? Has she ever had a boyfriend ?

And do you know what is her ideal type ? I can't find it on internet... Please can you help me ? Thank you ^^

• 5 weeks later...

December 14, 2017

[Herald Interview]

Jung Ryeo-won on the joy of finding strong female character
Lauded for charismatic, sensitive portrayal, actress discusses empowerment of women, artists 

In the recently concluded drama series “Witch at Court,” Jung Ryeo-won took on a role that is the exact opposite of her nature. 

Jung, 36, is known as many things in the industry -- former K-pop idol star, fashionista, painter, an actress with a knack for naturalistic portrayals and a rare bohemian free-spirit in mainstream media. 

In the KBS legal procedural drama, which ran from October to November, she played Ma I-deum, a highly ambitious prosecutor who speaks her mind and is known for her aggressive investigation tactics. 

Jung Ryeo-won poses for a photo before an interview in Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Wednesday. (Key East)

In real life, actress Jung is extremely timid. “I’m the type of person that comes home (after a confrontation) and thinks, ‘Why couldn’t I think of that comeback earlier?’ Then I write in my diary,” she said in an interview at a cafe in Gangnam-gu, Seoul on Wednesday.

The character Ma, who was raised a single mother, vows to achieve success in her career. She contributes to uncovering numerous cases at the prosecutor’s office, but is shunted off to the department for crimes against women and children, regarded as a marginal post, after testifying against a powerful figure for sexual harassment. 

Ma is enraged at first, but the show details her growth as she comes to understand the struggles of the victims she defends. 

It was liberating to play the role, Jung said, not only as an introvert but also as a working woman. 

“I remember telling my friends, I really hope someone will write a female character who is not passive, who, as a member of society, says what needs to be said. (Ma) was exactly that kind of character.”

Jung Ryeo-won poses for a photo before an interview in Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Wednesday. (Key East)

Jung, who made her acting debut in 2002 after a brief stint in K-pop group Chakra, has compiled a diverse filmography. She was instantly attracted to Ma upon reading the script, Jung said. “I remember telling our writer (Jung Do-yoon, “Baby-faced Beauty,” 2011) and director (Kim Young-kyun, “Spy Myung-wol,” 2011) that I really wanted the role. I also told them that I honestly might not be able to do a good job, since my personality is the exact opposite of hers.” 

Jung did get the job, and she chopped off her hair the day she got the news. “I felt it better suited the character. And I didn’t want them to back out from choosing me!” she said. The actress went on to ace the part and was lauded for bringing Ma to life in a performance that is both charismatic and sensitive. Jung has been nominated for best actress by the KBS Drama Awards, set to take place on Dec. 31. 

“Witch at Court” was heralded as a socially-conscious series of both commercial and critical success, dealing with crimes against women and children and the treatment of women in the workplace. 

Both the crew and actors were hyper-vigilant when filming fictional victims of sex crimes, Jung said. “We didn’t want to cause additional harm to victims who might be watching the show. We would all get together and debate on the issue,” she recalled. “We were all studying on set. I feel a greater sense of responsibility now.” 

Jung, whose hobby is painting -- she has a studio in Pyeongchang-dong, Seoul -- hopes to immerse herself in art and travel for the time being, until she meets that next role that ignites a spark in her. “It might be interesting to play an artist, actually,” she says. “You see a lot of rich gallerists on TV, but I don’t think I’ve seen a creative, sensitive artist on Korean TV.” 

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com

December 19, 2017

On the art of being other people :

Jung Ryeo-won has fallen for dramas, and fans are falling for her acting

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

18215853.jpg

[KEYEAST]

Actor Jung Ryeo-won made her debut as a member of the now disbanded girl group Chakra in 1999 and made herself known as an actor in 2005 with her role in the popular drama, “My Name is Kim Sam-soon.” This year proved to be a good year for her - Jung’s role as a selfish prosecutor, Ma Yi-deum, in the KBS drama “Witch’s Court” has become immensely popular.

When the first episode of the drama aired on Oct. 9, it started with a mere 6.6 percent viewer rating, according to Nielson Korea, but its last episode saw a 14 percent rating on Nov. 28. “Witch’s Court” wasn’t much anticipated in the beginning, and no one expected Jung to do so well. But episode after episode, she impressed viewers with her performance.

“My personality actually changed while I was playing Ma Yi-deum. There was a lot to learn from the scenes,” said Jung in an interview with Ilgan Sports, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily. The show is the first thing she’s done after taking a two-year hiatus, and her role has changed not just its ratings, but also Jung herself. What follows is an edited excerpt from the interview.

Q. You seemed very confident in “Witch’s Court.” Why did you look so natural as Ma Yi-deum?

A. I have a friend whose personality is really similar to Ma Yi-deum’s. I thought it would be fun to put her into the character. She’s very straightforward. When the atmosphere is awkward, she’s the one to say, “Why is it so awkward?” It helped me get going at first. But it did take time.

Did you know that people were worried when you were going to take on the role of a prosecutor?

Yes, I did know it very well. When I recorded myself reading the script, I heard myself mumble the ends of my sentences. The lines had power, but my delivery lacked, so I tried to improve my performance.

Some people pointed out that your pronunciation was a little imprecise. Why?

I thought that I had to do better. I was obviously not familiar with many [of the words] and I wasn’t able to make the suffixes sound clear. I wanted to start after I had mastered everything, but I just didn’t have time. I had a lot of fears, too. I overcame those while I just went on with the shooting.

It was a drama that touched on a lot of social issues. Was it shocking to you, as well?

When I was doing the scenes for the hidden camera crime, I really didn’t feel good. I haven’t been victimized by those crimes, but when there was a video of [somebody taking] a shower playing behind my back at the sentencing scene, I felt so humiliated even though I was just acting. I felt, “This must be how the victims would feel.” When I was questioning the aggressors, I was shaking [with anger] while I was acting.

The story dealt with some heavy and sexual issues. Were there any difficulties in getting them across?

There was an episode about homosexuality, as well. I couldn’t help but feel burdened. But the script writer was very firm, saying that “We have to say what we have to say.” [For instance], when we say that “The professor raped someone,” we naturally assume that the victim is female. I wanted to break that prejudice.

Did your personality change?

It did change. If I had been a closed-off introvert before, now I try to express the things that I feel. When I had something I wanted to say on set, I said “Yi-deum has taken over me.” Yi-deum is really independent. She’s able to get the answer that she wants to hear, but I’m not like that. I envy how she was observant and logical. I wish I had her brains, energy and personality.

Why did you change your career from being a singer to being an actor?

I had ups and downs as a singer. Then I had a chance to shoot for a KBS drama, and it was just so fun. [Actor] Joo Hyun told me that I should act, not sing. I went back to record my second album, but I wanted to go back to the drama set. But I couldn’t say this out loud because I felt bad for feeling that way. I went to shoot [an episode of] “Do the Right Thing” and it was fun. I liked singing and dancing, but I didn’t think it was my vocation. I found out what I really like.

BY LEE MI-HYUN [yoon.soyeon@joongang.co.kr]

• 2 weeks later...

December 30, 2017

Jung Ryeo-won Makes Breakthrough in New TV Series

By Jang Eun-kyung The ChosunIlbo

Actress Jung Ryeo-won says she has had a chance to take a step further in her acting career with her latest role in a TV series, which ended last month. She played a public prosecutor who is willing to do anything to succeed at her job in "Witch at Court."

Jung fully embraced the challenges that the character threw at her as it came at a time she was worried about decreasing opportunities as an actress.

2017123000398_0.jpg
Jung Ryeo-won

"I was having many thoughts about what my future holds. I've had quite a long career, and I've had ups and downs, and I am getting older," said Jung. "Then 'Witch at Court' came to me. I wasn't sure whether I would be able to do well or not, but I wanted to do my best. I was worried that the director may change his mind about casting me, so I immediately changed my hairstyle to fit the role. I beat my worries bit by bit by being immersed in the role."

"I thought if 'Witch at Court' becomes a success, I can inspire many actresses in their thirties as we have similar concerns in our career. I wanted to give it all my best as if it were the first and last chance," she added.

Jung said she wants to receive an award given to popular actors in the year-end award ceremony rather than the one given to actors with a notable performance.

"I've never gotten an award given to popular actors. It is this award that reflects the opinion of the public. I want to win it more than anything because I think it is a sign of a versatile actor who can win sympathy from the viewers," said Jung.

Jung was formerly a member of disbanded girl group Chakra until she left in 2004 after four years. She is one of the very few successful singer-turned-actresses.

"I actually love that part of me. I never thought it was something that I have to hide from my profile. I want to be a good example of all singer-turned-actresses and inspire them," said Jung. 

• 2 months later...

March 27, 2018

Actress named promotional envoy for 'With You' movement

Actress Jung Ryeo-won (L) poses for a photo with Byun Hye-jung, chief of the Women's Human Rights Institute of Korea, during a ceremony at the institute's headquarters in Seoul on March 27, 2018, to mark Jung's appointment as a promotional ambassador for the "With You" movement, expressing support for the "Me Too" movement. (Yonhap) (END)

Actress Jung Ryeo-won speaks during a ceremony at the headquarters of the Women's Human Rights Institute of Korea in Seoul on March 27, 2018, to mark her appointment as a promotional ambassador for the "With You" movement, expressing support for the "Me Too" movement. (Yonhap) (END)

• 2 months later...

K-LOOKBOOK: MOST STYLISH CHARACTERS IN KOREAN LEGAL DRAMAS

Prosecutor Ma Yi-deum (Jung Ryeo-won) from Witch’s Court. This fierce ace prosecutor’s choice of color is as strong as her personality. She effortlessly rocks power suits on a daily basis.

Witchs Court Ma Yi-deum (Jung Ryeo-won)

https://ahjummamshies.com/2018/05/30/k-lookbook-most-stylish-characters-in-korean-legal-dramas/

• 10 months later...

8ca014d52ac447c3870d35d1523951f5.jpeg?s=

2PM’s Junho Thanks Jung Ryeo Won For Supporting His Drama “Confession”

Jung Ryeo Won showed support for 2PM’s Junho and the success of his current drama “Confession.”

On April 4, 2PM’s Junho shared on his Instagram account a photo with the caption, “Sae Woo sent coffee to this ex-chef. @yoanaloves I enjoyed it, noona.” Sae Woo was the Jung Ryeo Won’s character’s name in “Wok of Love,” the drama they co-starred in.

Jung Ryeo Won replied to his post saying, “Cheer up!”

The photo shows 2PM’s Junho smiling in front of the coffee truck, wearing a black suit, and posing with his arms stretched out. The two banners read, “I confess with confidence! That ‘Confession’ will be a big hit!” and “I confess with confidence! That ‘Confession’ will be a big hit! Junho and the crew of ‘Confession,’ have some coffee and fighting. From Jung Ryeo Won.”

Spoiler

Junho currently features in tvN’s weekend drama “Confession” as Choi Do Hyun.

Jung Ryeo Won and Junho co-starred in the SBS’s drama “Wok of Love” in 2018 and have maintained their friendship since then.

source

Archived