[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

Guest boraah

To clarify.... what I meant about essence was that the story was about JP/JD, the trouble they got getting together. It will be boring if they actually follow the manga to the T but at least they changed some aspect of it and we know it is different from the other versions but still are able to identify it. (I find it fun to figure out which part of the manga that it came from after having read the whole manga!)

I don't mind that they put more importance into JH's role here. What I was emphasising was that JP and JD will end up together. If they change that storyline, basically the story has changed. Unless they had the OK from the original mangaka that they can change the ending, then so be it.

Maybe I am a hardcore Joondi-er but all these tough moments now will make the making-up much sweeter. If anyone has read the manga, they had much more obstacles to face than this and I understand that it cannot be covered within 24 episodes. IF they keep JK in the next episode AFTER she realises who it is that JP loves and still PERSISTS in going after him, then sorry... but that is not the character from the original story.

I know I shouldn't compare but it is inevitable when they are following a manga. If they wanted originality, then they shouldn't use the manga at all.

If this drama has a different ending rather then Jandi getting together with JunPyo... then it violates the contract that was agreed with the original mangaka. KBS and Group 8 wouldn't have tried getting offical rights for the manga story, if it was totally going to be different canon from the original.

Also.. I think JK will no longer be a obsticle by episode 19. Since they have "Umi" coming in soon.

To clarify.... what I meant about essence was that the story was about JP/JD, the trouble they got getting together. It will be boring if they actually follow the manga to the T but at least they changed some aspect of it and we know it is different from the other versions but still are able to identify it. (I find it fun to figure out which part of the manga that it came from after having read the whole manga!)

I don't mind that they put more importance into JH's role here. What I was emphasising was that JP and JD will end up together. If they change that storyline, basically the story has changed. Unless they had the OK from the original mangaka that they can change the ending, then so be it.

Maybe I am a hardcore Joondi-er but all these tough moments now will make the making-up much sweeter. If anyone has read the manga, they had much more obstacles to face than this and I understand that it cannot be covered within 24 episodes. IF they keep JK in the next episode AFTER she realises who it is that JP loves and still PERSISTS in going after him, then sorry... but that is not the character from the original story.

I know I shouldn't compare but it is inevitable when they are following a manga. If they wanted originality, then they shouldn't use the manga at all.

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was replying you about the essence of BOF thing. I originally wrote it for the people who were complaining that PDs are listening too much to netizens and thats why they've changed the Geum Jandi character, blah blah more crap about how the essence of Geum Jandi is lost, when the actual fact is - Makino does change in the original manga.

Which is why I don't think the essence of Geum Jandi was changed simply because PDs were listening to netizens. This change was originally part of the manga.

I'm sorry if I sounded if my original post sounded like it was written for you. =)

have u guys watched "Happy Together" yet??

i still haven't watched it since i can't find the one with chinese subtitle!

can anyone tell me where i can find it,plz??

can't seem to find this,but there's english subtitles on youtube.

However, you can find the chinese subs for the drama and F4 special here: http://clubbox.co.kr/mekohk922 or http://clubbox.co.kr/xiaomao123

HTHs!

I can't seem to find the synced english subtitles for the F4 special? :blink: can anyone help? thank you!

EDIT: 090227 45th BaekSang Arts Awards (chinese subbed -entire show)can be found in http://clubbox.co.kr/xiaomao123 as well.

Guest boraah

Season 2 has slowed the pace down, we're used to storylines being introduced and completed in 3 episodes at most. The fiancee plot is dragging on with no end in sight and we're getting repetitive scenes, Jun Pyo doesn't like her, I get it! No need for 10 more scenes to reinforce it. I disagree with posters calling for Yi Jeong's scenes to cut if anything needs to be cut it's the pointless montages that do nothing but fill time. Did we really need Ji Hoo and Jun Pyo feeding each other to get across the plot point that they utterly fail as cooks? How long did the montage of Ji Hoo helping Jun Di clean go on for?

Actually... the fiance storyline didn't REALLY start until episode 15. Episodes 13-14 were basicly the New York rejection storyarc. So saying that... the fiance storyline appears to be wrapping up in episode 18. Then we going to see Jandi's fishing village/maid story arc which probably show more OTPness for the main couple. I think that's what most fans want to see.

So i lied. This will be my last post of the night. :)

I actually didn't know SS501 performed at the awards!..

090227 45th BaekSang Arts Awards SS501 - "내 머리가 나빠서" (Because I'm Stupid)

It's the first 내 머리가 나빠서 PF that shows characters other than Ji Hoo and Seo Hyun.. :sweatingbullets:

credits to: minirion81 @ youtube.com

Another one:

090227 Music Bank SS501 Because I'm Stupid "내 머리가 나빠서" (Because I'm Stupid) + Dejavu

credits to: minirion81 @ youtube.com

It seemed like they stopped with promoting this song for awhile.. might just be me though. >_< Sorry if it's been posted,,, um. Like i mentioned, i miss this song along with the first OST.xD

Gnight!

Guest adorlando_66

Not at all!! please add away! That is the purpose of this mid week BOF "excercise". So now it's

16) When JP and JD were in the hospital after the warehouse scene and they start teasing each other.. "Idiot, IQ of two digits" etc :P

17) The part where JP saw JD go into JH house, he wanted to punch the wall but stopped and kicked the poor tree instead

18) And lately, where he saves her from drowning and tells her that he learnt how to swim cause he didn't want to see her being saved by another man

19) After the refugee auction when JP throws her the goggles he bought her and says, "Don't drink when I'm not around."

lets also add

20) On Valentine's Day and he is so happy with the ccokies she made

21) The highway scene where he walks to her and kisses her in front of his mother (can't believe I did not add that in originally!) and has her make him 2 promises

i love all the scenes that all of you mentions, but let me add this one that i like the most b'cuz it started of JoonDi story

22) JP " Guem jundi listen carfully i'll tell you only once, LST'US DATE" and JP smiled with brightness.

manz if JP and JD dont get a happy ending, then itz no longer hana yori dango. the main thing about that manga is the fact that

the 2 of them overcame so much difficulties and stuck to their love for each other.

if they change the ending, then i think i might as well stop watching now. o.0 gah. itz a horrible thought

Guest totallyblu

OMG i havent read this forum for half day and now its about 15 top pages...and it worse (for me cause i like to read all the post :)) with the ending rumor, this pages is so fast .....

btw regarding to the ending rumor i think its impossible IF that JP's n JK's wedding cos they said the wedding will be in jeju island right? if it's jp n jk wedding why on earth they do their wedding there? isn't that JD's family live there too? with so many options for them to get married why choose jeju island where JD live? so think for yourself...

and according to TWversion when shancai went to fishing village DMS totally reject Lei to picked her up, and with Japversion that was the accident happened to domyoji so my speculations is after the "rain break up (if they include this) JD will go to jeju island (where her parents live) and possible JK or maybe F3 make a plot so JP come to see JD.

I still believe that JD and JP will together in the end but i wish it's not like 2 minute happy and then that it's (like goong or my girl ending :blush: ) I mean with so many hardship etc in the end they "just together" no story about their togetherness, I don't know I don't mind the ending story like Japversion I DON'T REALLY mind to be honest eventhough its not original anymore I choose that one then have to have a suck happy ending, isn't this story about love between JD and JP? if in the end they aren't together so what is the point for the story then?? wish the PD won't dragging the hardsgip to much ...it kinda boring...o another one I think YJ story kinda boring to long crying and dreaming about the past maybe make it shorter would be nice.....I want JP n JD in action AGAIN...

another article ths time from The Korea Herald

Rise of the 'Flower Boys'

Maybe the time has finally arrived for women in this formerly Confucian society to openly appreciate the beauty of the opposite gender.

Or it may be that boys have actually become much "prettier" than before, and are beyond the traditional male attributes defined in such vocabularies as "tall, dark and handsome."

Well, the four main male characters in KBS hit drama "Boys Before Flowers" are definitely tall, handsome, and all of them jaw-droppingly rich. But that's hardly enough to describe the huge pop culture sensation that has literally engulfed Korea.

The four "flower boys" or "F4" have captivated the hearts of women of all ages in the country, be it a seven-year-old girl or 50-year-old housewife. Many men also watch it, though the majority of fans are women.

"Boys Before Flowers" can be considered something like the Asian version of America's huge hits "The O.C." or "Gossip Girl" that depict a hyper-luxury lifestyle of teenagers.

200903050002.jpg

The series is only mid-way through, but the cast members (led by oh-so-charming Lee Min-ho playing main character Goo Joon-pyo) have become household names. The ratings hover around the high 30 percent and could climb higher.

"By watching these unrealistically rich and charming boys going out of their way to help Geum Jan-di (main female character played by Koo Hye-sun) in her quagmires, as well as watching the scenes where she is reluctantly showered with gifts and makeovers, I get a sense of satisfaction at least inside the television," said Lee Ji-ah, a 26-year-old graduate student, who watches the show religiously.

The drama is so popular that some shows are dedicated to it. Putting a comedic spin on the series that some say are simply "too corny," such comedy programs as Gagya of MBC and Gag Concert of KBS have recreated the main characters for parody.

This is undoubtedly the big break for Lee Min-ho, 22, who was a struggling actor before the drama and now the envy of a multitude of aspiring actors. He is expected to take in as much as 1.5 billion won ($970,000) in profit this year, not to mention fast becoming the most coveted celebrity in business advertisements.

Apparel company Bean Pole, a sponsor of "Boys Before Flowers" and creator of the famous school uniform featured in the drama, has also seen a burst in recognition and a rise in sales.

200903050003.jpg

Korea's largest community site Cyworld has also benefited from the latest pop phenomenon by producing emoticons for each of the five major cast members, which they say are in high demand from users.

Fashion magazines are filled with pictures and stories about the flower boys, while portal sites of Korea are filled with news, pictures and blogs dedicated to them.

It seems people just cannot get enough of them.

"Boys Before Flowers" or "Hana Yori Dango" in Japanese is actually a familiar story for women in their teens, 20s and 30s. The original comic book with the same title by Japan's Yoko Kamio is considered like a bible for those who enjoy Japanese romantic manga. The series ran between 1992 and 2003 to eventually comprise a whopping 37 volumes. It sold over 54 million copies by 2005.

The title is a pun on the Japanese old saying "Dumplings before flowers," referring to people who attend Hanami (flower festival), but instead of enjoying flowers, focus more on the materialistic side of the event such as getting food and buying souvenirs.

The plot is quite old school as well. Geum Jan-di, the main female character, is a girl from a poor family but has an unrivaled sense of optimism and drive and is by chance admitted to a prestigious private high school.

There she meets the infamous group of four astonishingly good looking and rich boys. The group's leader is Goo Joon-pyo, who is a spoiled heir to world-leading conglomerate Shinhwa. He is joined by mysterious and breathlessly handsome Yoon Ji-hoo, played by member of idol pop group SS501 Kim Hyun-joong, So Yi-jung played by Kim Bum, and Song Woo-bin, played by Kim Joon. Their love story moves from Seoul to New Caledonia to Macau, while their wardrobes, vehicles and houses also entertain the eyes with their over-the-top extravagance.

With their super powerful parents and backgrounds, it almost seems there's no stopping these boys, until of course, they are met by the "harsh" reality of having to follow to their destined routes, such as inheriting the Shinhwa Group.

"I actually am so over the whole immature high school love story, but I end up watching it because there's just so much to see. It is like eye candy on all aspects combined into one show," said Shin Se-young, a 35-year-old office worker.

Lee Ji-yeon, a 30-year-old single woman, explains that she is a fan of the show because it is blatantly lavish and dreamlike. She says it's easy to just fall into it without bothering to think about whether the plots are realistic or not.

"It's like watching real people play out the comic book to a tee."

There are also other interpretations as to why "Boys Before Flowers" is such a great hit in Korea.

The obvious reason is the near perfect casting of the F4. Fair to say, their acting skills are considered not up to par, sometimes even cringe-inducing. But main player Lee Min-ho shines, with his believable adaptation of the Joon-pyo character. Lee actually manages quite well to portray the spoiled kid of a billionaire who shows little to no respect to people around him, but turns all soft and mushy once in a while, at least to the love of his life Jan-di.

"One of the reasons for the character Goo to be so popular could be that he touches the embedded masochism of viewers by being mean and then he can be kind all of a sudden, getting the counterpart to appreciate that even more," said Kim Mi-hyun, literature critic and professor of Ewha Womans University.

It is also a shared opinion among the fans of F4 that while watching it, they forget about everything else and the less-than-rosy reality of life, especially at this time of economic hardship.

"This may represent a distorted adoration or aspiration towards people with money or chaebols. It is usually the case where the worse the economy the more popular the wealthy become.

The popularity of this program also represents the new aggressive nature of consumption," Kim said.

"One problem, however, with the program is that these boys represented in the stories are in their teens and spending like kings. The unreality of it may be the attractive factor but it may also provoke a sort of wild-goose chase," she said.

Whatever the reason, it appears that the F4 phenomenon is here to stay for now as fans appear to be not getting enough of it.

The original manga "Boys Before Flower" is enjoying a resurrection of its sales. Over 132,000 copies were sold in the months of January and February, according to its publisher Seoul Media Group. This is a huge surge compared to about 42,000 copies in yearly sales of the past.

The series is already signing deals with overseas television networks for viewing, following the footsteps of Japan and Taiwan, which have also reprised the comic book series in television series and movies.

New Caledonia, which was featured in the earlier part of the drama as the set where the main female and male characters confirm their love, is seeing an increase in the number of potential travelers.

"It will take time for the actual number of travelers to New Caledonia to rise considering the current economic situation here. But New Caledonia definitely put itself on the map of coveted travel destinations through this drama series. Now, everyone from kids to adults in their 40s and 50s know Goo Joon-pyo's New Caledonia. We are satisfied enough for having raised its recognition," said Lee Myeong-hwan, who heads the Korean office of New Caledonia Tourism.

Credits : Lee Joo-hee (angiely@ heraldm.com)

In the anime, if I recall correctly, the ending scene has the fiancee and JP getting married but she wanted them to be together and planned for JD to board the ship and marry JP instead. Would we have the same development?

Guest tchq90

I totally disagree with somebody's comment regarding adding more scenes of Yi Jung and Ga Eul story. How many Korean dramas that you could find that focus mainly on one couple only? They need to give audience a break from the main story to avoid boredom. As a matter of fact, Yi Jung and Ga Eul couple has an incredible chemistry and they have captured the hearts of many fans; therefore, expanding their story/background would be a plus for BOF. Honestly, I've been skipping much of Jandi-Junpyo-JiHo-JaeKyung scenes just to see the side story of this amazing Soulmates.

Guest yoonbumhae

hi everybody actually i haven't see the whole part of episode 17 but i already watch when Junpyo and Jaekyung go on a date it's like ep 17 part 3/6 i think. Do anyone of you know what song that played on that part?

(sorry my terrible english)

Guest juneforest2000

^ Woah woah woah.....!!..... How come he's so pretty? :rolleyes: *eyecandy* Thank you dear. :P

^ Actually, i also mentioned this a few posts ago. :P It was definitely implied that he was thinking of his first double date.xD I kind of chuckled when he mentioned that he hated anything "double"... And it furthermore shows how much he thinks about Jan Di..*

Umm.. but juneforest2000, i kind of like seeing Joon Pyo cry... :unsure: hehe. I actually don't think he cries a lot at all. How many times have we seen him cry now??.. 4-5? Less, more? I don't remember. But i know that each time he did cry, it was a moment i felt like my chest was being beaten to bits. Like Goo Hye Sun, Lee Min Ho looks really beautiful when crying..-- but i know what you mean~ no more heartache please! #%&$#% I think us Joondifieds have had enough of Joon Di's separation, but we're still holding on. :)

Now, we cannot cry over spilled milk. Lets put our faith and trust into our PDnim and scriptwriter and hope for everything to come together in a mutual manner. For me, i can't complain much because despite all the rough times Joon Di is going through, i know they'll end up together at the end. Skepticism of this belief of mine doesn't worry me one bit. ^_^

*Joon Di fighting*

BTW... it's actually not too late to show some Woo Bin lovin'....xD Perhaps we'll get to meet his family in Jeju? =)

Oh, seeing JP cry is very hurting!! It's just like a knife stabbing to my heart!! I want the arrogant, cute and jealously JP back!!! I love to see him getting angry whenever there is a guy getting near to JD.He is so in loved with her!! Now?? They whole story is so dragging and disappointing. I really hv doubts with the PD has scriptwriter already. I dun know what are they doing and why seperate JP and JD for SO LONG.........!!!!!

If the next 2 eps they still hv not reconcile, I guess I will stop seeing it. It will disappoint me totally..... ;(

Developing Woo Bin love???? I doubt they hv enough time to do it. The drama hv only 6 more eps to go only. It's not likely, so either they put another few more eps or rush everything to finish up the drama. That will totally spoil everything.I dun know how the drama will go from now, I only hope they best. If the PD do read all our comments,

PLS PUT MORE SCENES FOR JP AND JD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLS. GIVE US MORE PASSINATE KISSES FROM JD & JP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, seeing JP cry is very hurting!! It's just like a knife stabbing to my heart!! I want the arrogant, cute and jealously JP back!!! I love to see him getting angry whenever there is a guy getting near to JD.He is so in loved with her!! Now?? They whole story is so dragging and disappointing. I really hv doubts with the PD has scriptwriter already. I dun know what are they doing and why seperate JP and JD for SO LONG.........!!!!!

If the next 2 eps they still hv not reconcile, I guess I will stop seeing it. It will disappoint me totally..... ;(

Developing Woo Bin love???? I doubt they hv enough time to do it. The drama hv only 6 more eps to go only. It's not likely, so either they put another few more eps or rush everything to finish up the drama. That will totally spoil everything.I dun know how the drama will go from now, I only hope they best. If the PD do read all our comments,

PLS PUT MORE SCENES FOR JP AND JD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLS. GIVE US MORE PASSINATE KISSES FROM JD & JP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

passionate kiss? might be a bit difficult now after GHS's injury.............. :(

if JP/JD doesn't get together, the best thing to 'reward' the production company is to boycott the dvd when it is released....

and i will make sure i will write a long complaint letter in KBS World 'BOF' forum...... :lol:

Guest huangsy

BOF featured on Happy Together now 11:05 pm seoul time (but now still showing CF, incl Teen Ring).

Kim Jun, Kim Hyun Joong and GHS are in it (plus a Kim Gyoo Joon)

Guest ml_87

passionate kiss? might be a bit difficult now after GHS's injury.............. :(

if JP/JD doesn't get together, the best thing to 'reward' the production company is to boycott the dvd when it is released....

and i will make sure i will write a long complaint letter in KBS World 'BOF' forum...... :lol:

until now, i find it uki. but if the next episode, Jk's still in the storyline, i agree that u should write a long complaint letter :rolleyes: remember to tell them the stupid wedding of JP-JK^^ ths :)

Guest juneforest2000

O.K.....granted with GHS's injury, they can still hv CERTAIN ANGLE TO KISS YA :P

Really!! At least twist or move their head a bit!! I dun mind a bed scene too, hahahaha!!!!!!!

This is even MORE PASSIONATE!!!!! :w00t:

Alright, if they dun put JD and JP together at the end, I JOIN YOU!!!!

My thought for future storyline/speculation. This is MERELY a speculation, stemming from my own brain based on the original manga!

Ep 18: We know from the official written preview that JD's family moves to a fishing village (possibly in Jeju island) and JD lives on her own in an attic house, when JP shows up as a next door neighbor. I read somewhere that her new house is just for temporary use because it is a house scheduled to be demolished. When this happens and JD has no place to go, Joon Hee invites JD to live at their place because JP's mom is away for business. (Btw, I think this episode is where the JP/JK ramen shopping scene will air. Grocery shopping for JD? and JK, for all intent and purposes, is no longer JP's fiancee although their parents might not be in the know yet)

Ep 19: And hence the maid arc begins and JP and JD make up. JP returns the necklace. Stargazing using the telescope. Kiss. Mommy Kang returns and all hell breaks loose. Rainy day breakup scene. (Side stories: YJ's love triangle story ends; WB's house showcased for, umm, 5 minutes (maximum) to appease WB's fans)

Ep 20: JD follows her parents to Jeju Island. JP is devastated. JK and the F3 boys plot "something" (fake wedding?) to bring the two idiotic lovers at Jeju Island.

Ep 21: Hence the deserted island arc (if not deserted island, at least an opportunity for the two idiots to be alone and have a heart to heart talk). Confirms their love for each other. At the end, "something" happens to JP which causes him to lose his memory. Possible cliffhanger: JP wakes up and asks JD, "Who are you?"

Ep 22: Hence the amnesia arc.

Ep 23: Recovers from amnesia; fights Mama Kang. Finds out some secret (possibly Daddy Gu is not really dead?) which gives Mama Kang no choice but to accept JD.

Ep 24: Happily ever after.

If there is one episode extension...

Ep 25: A few years later, marriage life? JD as a doctor? A basic "fan-service" episode.

Tada, the end! Don't worry, I think the story pace is going just right and all this JP/JK wedding speculation is just shameless publicity stunt by Group 8 to make sure viewers tune in, believing that there might be a change in the original storyline. Personally, based on all the news articles that are pouring in, their plan is working. Talk about free advertising of their drama, no? =P