[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

I still like the japanese version the best (from all the versions) but I will admit this one was pretty good. The storyline was well done, the actors/actresses were really good and I looove the end between all our favorites couples! :wub: And yes, I am not talking only about Jan Di and Jun Pyo.

Korean Dramas & Movies Forum Rules

Rule #3 --> Do not bash actors, actresses, or other members, or post untrue information. Bashing will not be tolerated by any means and will result in a warning. This includes but is not limited to the usage of derogatory remarks, spreading rumors, swearing, etc. Please respect each others' difference of opinions.

Please do not bash this drama or the actors/actresses in it. If all you have to say is "this drama BLOWS" then please go say that in an ANTI-BOF topic. I happen to like this drama very much whether or not the drama/actors/actresses were flawed. I don't mean to sound rude but I found your comment very offensive. I don't have the right to go into other forums and say these types of things so you shouldn't either. Please follow the rules so that no one is offended. If you truly need to rant about BOF and say that the drama isn't worth watching, do that in your Blog where your opinion is your own. Thank you.

I totally agree with you cimechang :D Thank you for stressing out the basic information that each one of us should put into consideration..If there is modesty left in one`s mind, unnecessary things like that should not be said & done..in the first place, soompi has been very specific as to the Korean Dramas & Movies Forum Rules and as such, we should adhere to the said rules..We may have our own freedom to say & express what we want & what we have in mind, we should still find a little consideration as to how your actions would hurtily inflict one`s feelings & emotions..We may need to respect one`s opinion but how could you respect such unhumane kind of negative & false accusations & criticisms..But on the other hand, i wanna still fill my mind with possible reasons why such things are said & such act is initiated..On the other hand, as a proud fan of Goo Hye Sun, bad as it seems, these negative criticisms somehow yield a positive result on Goo Hye Sun..Where she stands right now are just the fruits of her triumphant journey after the storms of life she tried to surpass..I would never be a Goo Hye Sun fan without JANDI in the picture..I for once never cared at all & never been interested with Korea & its people & until now sometimes things don`t still sink in my mind on how in the world has BOF touched me & somehow changed my views in life..It has positively influenced me in the least expected way i could ever imagine..

to Goo Hye Sun, thank you so much for continuously inspiring us :D you are one true & special person we will look up to even in the years to come :D

"Boys", "Gag" nominated for Asian TV Awards

KBS2 TV's drama "Boys Over Flowers" and comedy show "Gag Concert" have been nominated for the 2009 Asian TV Awards, according to a press release on Monday.

Korea's major broadcaster KBS explained that "BOF" scored a nomination in the TV Drama category and "Gag" in the comedy section. Korean actor Lee Min-ho and actress Koo Hye-sun, the hero and heroine of "Boys", are both nominees for the Best Actor and Best Actress award, respectively.

"Asian TV Awards", hosted by Singapore's media magazine Television Asian and sponsored by Singapore Media Development Authority, is considered Asia's equivalent of the Emmys.

The event selects the best television programs that aired in the region including Korea, Japan, China, Singapore, India, Australia and New Zealand. Over 1,000 television programs were submitted in 33 categories this year.

The winners of the 14th Asian Television Awards will be announced at the ATA 2009 Gala Dinner in Singapore on December 3.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

thanks you so much deka_if for this info :D

CONGRATULATIONS GOO HYE SUN, LEE MIN HO & BOF :D

whether you take home the award or not, it`s still a big honor for you for being nominated..to GHS & LMH, it only means that ATA recognizes your worth as actor/actress..KBS proves that they believe & trust you..

264qn1k.jpg

i watched hana yori dango, and domyoji pissed me off. i'm almost done with boys over flowers, and jun pyo is pissing me off. why doesn't he ever step up to the plate? i understand that he had to do what his mother wanted, and that he had to save face for the company's sake. but why did he treat jan di like that? would it have killed him to just tell her that he still loved her and that he was trying to figure things out?

actually, i could have forgiven all of that. i almost liked him again when he tried to cancel the wedding the night before. but when it came down to it, his fiance had to do it. he didn't have the balls to call off the wedding. and that night, all he had to say was "i'm sorry for hurting you, i love you" that's it? that's all he could think to say?

i swear. jun pyo. if you don't man up to your mom i will scream.

(don't give any spoilers please! i'm just blowing steam here!)

but honestly. most of the characters had such a great development throughout the story. i just feel like jun pyo didn't change much... (trust me to analize a silly little soap like this XD)

^If you ask me, believe it or not, Joon Pyo had the most character development. o_O You already begin to slowly see this 1/4 into the drama. Ironically, the fact that he couldn't "man up" to stop the wedding IS because he's experienced some development. If Joon Pyo were to be like the Joon Pyo we saw in ep1, then things would be different. He'd probably force Jandi to elope with him or something. :lol: And since i followed the drama with BOFers while it was airing, the past discussions we've shared in here definitely tells everyone that BOF has more depth and is more than what you see on the surface. I just hope people would see that.

mommie Alice, unfortunately, i believe those were the only BOF songs being promoted by the artists.

//EDIT.

I'm halfway done through my BOF marathon. This time, i'm watching my BOF boxset from YA and i must say, i'm quite disappointed with the edited musical arrangement. A lot of the scenes in the first half of BOF had me balling like crazy, but this time around~~ it just didn't strike the same chords. I've seen the drama enough times to know why i cried and loved such and such scenes so much. Basically, the music selection was a huge contributor to each scene. One of my favorite two songs from the OST did not even get played (when it appeared often in the first half of the aired version)!! :o I love the first volume of the OST more than the other versions, so i guess i would be disappointed. I'm sure they edited it because they wanted a widespread use of all the songs, but i couldn't believe it when a lot of the first volume songs didn't show up... This made me sad. :( But thank goodness i have a version of the aired version on my computer so i can capture the same sentiments.. *sigh* Let's hope volume one of the OST shows up more in the boxset vol. 2.

HI!!!

I received my BOF DVD from Yesasia today, the one published and released by YAEntertainment. But I noticed as i watched the episodes, the SOUNDTRACK IS WRONG!! ( I mean the songs used as background music on specific scenes)

1st evidence:

I mean on the first episode, the song Yearning Heart by A'st1 was played during the scene that the F4 are dressing up and choosing their clothes! I clearly remember that it was "Almost Paradise" that was used on that specific scene when I watched it on its broadcast. Plus the Yearning Heart song was first used as a background music on Jun Pyo and Jae Kyung's first date. And i watched the same scene on mysoju and I AM CORRECT.

2nd evidence:

on episode 2 when Jan DI realized that Seo Hyun is Ji Hoo's first love, there was a scene that Jan Di was in her room reminiscing and thinking about Ji Hoo while looking at the handkerchief given by Ji Hoo, the song that played on the DVD was Fight the Bad feeling by T-Max. I am sure that song was released on th latter episodes of BOF because the album was released late into the production. And if you watch is again on mysoju or aja-aja, the song used on that specific scene is Stand by me by SHINEE.

3rd evidence:

still on episode 2, after Jan Di tells Jun Pyo that she hates everything about him, from his curly hair to that way he is not wearing the school uniform, there is a scene that shows Jun Pyo in a bad mood while playing sports, taking a shower after playing and then until he saw the poster for the school trip. The song used on the original broadcast was "Do you know" by Someday BUT in the DVD, the song used was "Love You" by Howl. That song is also a part of the 2nd OST!!!

So what is going on?????? Does anybody have an idea WHY THE SOUNDTRACK IS DIFFERENT FROM THE DVD THAT YAENTERTAINMENT HAS RELEASED?????? Why are the soundtracks from the PArt 2 and F4 Special Edition already heard and used on key scenes at the beginning of the series??? OST Part 2 and F4 Special Edition was not released until about like episode 16 or 17 of the series broadcast???

Guest soompiqueen

I also got the new DVDs from YA Entertainment, and I noticed that in Volume 2, the Jisun song is no longer part of the pool scene in the last episode....one of my favorite scenes.

As much as I complained about the original soundtrack for the show (particularly "Paaaaradise"), I agree that the the new soundtrack doesn't create the same emotional pull.

Does anybody know if the Korean version of the DVD set (Regions 3, 4, 5, 6) also substituted different music?

Just curious.

2009-12-28

What Are Keys to Success of Year's Hit Dramas?

What KBS dramas have enjoyed most popularity in 2009? "Boys Over Flowers" was the first to become a hit early in the year, followed by "My Too Perfect Sons" in the middle of the year and "Iris" late in the year.

329_885_l.jpg

▲ From left, posters for "Boys Over Flowers," "My Too Perfect Sons," and "Iris"

"Boys Over Flowers" garnered average ratings of 28.5 percent, with the last episode recording 34.8 percent. It deals with romance between a young heir of a rich family and an ordinary girl overcoming class differences.

"My Too Perfect Sons" achieved ratings as high as 48.6 percent for the last episode, with average ratings of 29.6 percent. The family drama evolved around four sons of an ordinary family.

"Iris" was a blockbuster spy action drama, which ended on December 17 with ratings of 39.9 percent, while it posted 30.7 percent ratings on average.

Behind the success of these three shows were uniqueness and novelty. So what are the characteristics of each drama?

329_886_l.jpg

329_887_l.jpg

▲ "Boys Over Flowers"

① Proven Storyline

The drama was based on a Japanese hit manga of the same title that was serialized over 11 years. Since the original story was made into an animation, two films and three dramas, all of which became big hits, it was anticipated to some extent that the Korean drama would also enjoy great popularity.

Yet another key factor in its success is Korea's state-of-the-art production technology. It set an example for the industry that showed how creatively a drama can use a familiar story.

② Spectacles

The drama featured many scenes and settings viewers could enjoy watching such as a palace-like house, noble school, overseas locations like a Pacific island and Macau, horse riding, and exotic parties. All these made it possible for viewers experience vicarious pleasure.

③ Discovering New Faces

Most of the drama's stars were obscure new faces at the time of casting. Except Gu Hye-seon, who played the heroine, the four male stars were little known. Lee Min-ho and Kim Beom were rookie actors, and Kim Hyeon-jung and Kim Jun were members of boy bands. But they were well suited to the images of the characters in the original story and showed splendid performances despite their lack of experience. The result? All of them rose to stardom.

④ Teen Drama

The drama was particularly popular among those in their teens and 20s. The characters, who looked perfect and carefree but had their own stories and eventually found true love, were appealing to them.

⑤ Setting Trends

The drama served as a trend-setter for young people. The fans created various parodies and video works, modeled their hairstyles after the characters and flocked to shooting locations.

329_888_l.jpg

▲Left: Main characters from the drama and original Japanese manga, Right: A parody work

329_889_l.jpg

329_890_l.jpg

▲ "My Too Perfect Sons"

① No Lurid Subjects

The drama set itself apart from those featuring lurid subjects like extramarital affairs, revenge and violence. It had no evil roles and sensational subject matter. The heartwarming drama showed how characters who are "too good" can sometimes be seen as unintelligent as they fought, reconciled with, and loved their families and neighbors.

② Harmony Between Cast Members

The drama featured actors from various generations. New faces like Ji Chang-wook, Kang Eun-bi and Yoo Ha-na added liveliness to the show, while experienced younger members such as Son Hyeon-joo, Lee Pil-mo, Park Sun-young, Yoo Sun brought balance, and veteran members like Baek Il-seop, Yoon Mi-ra, Kim Yong-geon, and Kim Hye-ok enriched it with their perfect performances. This composition was the reason that the drama could appeal to all generations.

③ Light-Hearted Romance

The four sons of the drama had their own romances. Song Jin-pung (Son Hyeon-joo), the eldest, was too timid to confess his feelings for beautiful professional Lee Soo-jin (Park Sun-young). The second son, Song Dae-pung (Lee Phil-mo), belatedly realized his love for Kim Bok-sil (Lee Pil-mo), who loved him in unrequited fashion. Song Seon-pung, the third son, didn't like Oh Eun-ji (Yoo Ha-na) at first because he thought she was childlike and stubborn. But they fell in love and later married. The youngest, Mi-pung, lived with his girlfriend without marrying. They eventually learned how they could understand each other and truly love each other. These romances of the main characters were what made it popular.

④ Love for Neighbors

The drama tried to deal with the importance of the communities that people live in. It showed that people could form brotherly relationships with neighbors by resolving conflicts and showing understanding, just like any family does.

⑤ Supporting Roles

Many supporting roles played a contributing role in the popularity of the drama. In particular, Ha Jae-sook, who played Mi-ran, and Cho Jin-woong, who played Bruster Lee, stood out. They skillfully portrayed characters that are easily seen all around us, adding reality and fun.

329_891_l.jpg

▲Left: Four sons featured in the drama, Right: A wedding scene from the drama

329_892_l.jpg

329_893_l.jpg

▲ "Iris"

① Film-Like Drama

This drama showed spectacular cinematography. With a large budget of 20 billion won, it used real weapons and devices for fight scenes and was shot at several overseas locations including Hungary and Japan to add reality.

② Novel Subject Matter

The spy drama dealt with secret agents who try to prevent a war on the Korean Peninsula. It was such a rare plot attempted by such few dramas that the story alone greatly increased viewers' interest.

③ Romance

The drama drew great interest from the beginning with its star-studded cast. The romance between the main characters played by the two stars Lee Byeong-hun and Kim Tae-hee made viewers want to fall in love again themselves. It also featured one famous scene where the two exchanged pieces of candy while kissing.

④ New Images

Some stars succeeded in presenting new sides of themselves through the drama. Kim So-yeon shook off her feminine and sophisticated image by perfectly portraying a strong, tough secret agent. T.O.P, a member of the idol band Big Bang, also drew praise for his charismatic performance in his role as a killer.

⑤ Original Soundtrack

Many notable singers participated in the production of the soundtrack of the drama. Kim Tae-woo sang "Dreaming," Shin Seung-hun "Love of Iris" and Baek Ji-young "Don't Forget Me." These ballads contributed to the quality of the drama.

329_894_l.jpg

▲Left: A poster for the drama, Right: "Candy kissing" scene

Not all aspects of these dramas were positive. There was criticism of these dramas as well, but they are worth recognizing for trying new experiments to take the industry to the next level. Now expectations are running high for what kind of dramas will impress viewers in 2010.

Credits : Honorary Reporter Moon Hye-yun

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

Source : KBS GLOBAL

I also got the new DVDs from YA Entertainment, and I noticed that in Volume 2, the Jisun song is no longer part of the pool scene in the last episode....one of my favorite scenes.

As much as I complained about the original soundtrack for the show (particularly "Paaaaradise"), I agree that the the new soundtrack doesn't create the same emotional pull.

Does anybody know if the Korean version of the DVD set (Regions 3, 4, 5, 6) also substituted different music?

Just curious.

I faintly recall reading in an earlier post that the director had stated that he will make some adjustment to the songs in the drama for export sets. Not sure about other countries but the one broadcasted on local TV in Singapore definitely had a different background music in many scenes as compared to the original version. Maybe the YA Ent is using the 'exported version' for the DVD. I kind of find it wierd and dislike certain changes. My only vote on the change goes to the scene where Ji Hoo took Jandi on a horse ride after the race between him and Junpyo. I love Howl's song in OST 2 but I think it was never inserted into the drama. The change to include this song in that scene is a good change as it matches the scene perfectly.

Not sure if we are talking about the same Korean version of the DVD set but I think there is no change. Then again, I have not watch it despite me owing it since May. That said, I'm quite sure it's the same as what was aired on Korea TV since it was released shortly after the drama ended.

Guest kim_bum_so_eun
Guest soompiqueen

Does anyone knows the name of the song or the artist to the song played during the scense where Jandi threw herself into the water because Jun Pyo did nto remember who she was? I really like that song and I could not find it.

You're probably thinking of the song in the original version aired in Korea -- Jisun's song "What Do I do" (sometimes it's called "What should I do"). You can download it online or I think it's on OST Vol 2, not the original OST.

Guest taniyama_mai

Just curious.

i also bought this drama's DVDs from our local shop...

its also have different soundtrack from the original version of this drama..

i really really dissapointed...

the song at new caledonia is differerent...really sad... :(

Guest Special Ed

I was wondering what song was playing during the scene where Jun Pyo was eating ramen and he told the maid Jan Di to sit in the "uncomfortable" armchair until he was finished. When he looked up she was asleep and he put a blanket around her. Its the song after AS'T1 (??) song. Thx in advance.