[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

Episode 23 is better than episode 22. I can see lee min ho acting in angst again ,the tears and his shouting but yet suffering at the same time. Thumbs up for him!! this episode seriously make me teared when i watch the breakup scene and now here comes the umi character, gosh and what about junpyo's dad, is he going to wake up and divorced with mama kang? will they extend another episode maybe like special even though epi 25 was said to be finale? i truly enjoyed this show and kudos to those PD ,scriptwriter ( even i hate her , lol) of course BOF cast. Hope they could rest well after this drama and take a long break.

one thing i loved is their kissing scene. The scenery and music was smooth and matching, i feel so comfortable watching it.

kissing scene epi 23 (junpyo + Jandi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQVFqptLfeY

credit: hoonfamily

Guest love_MinHo

I have just seen some beautiful caps of the zoo date and then it disappeared. I love that scene so much cause love is blossom between Jan Di and Jun Pyo in that scene :x so please re-post it :tears:

Guest ladyeury

Might be a bit of a spoiler so beware. :)

I was watching the episode while waiting for the subtitles to be available and I can already tell it's a great ep. But I gotta ask, I know Mama Kang get's Ga-Eul's father fired, but what does the witch do to Ji-Hoo's family? I'm dying to know because it seemed really evil by Ji-Hoo's grandfather's response. Thanks! :)

Guest wildcard.

seriously..with all the twists and turns, just HOW are they going to finish this all in the next couple of episodes?!

Guest kiss*kiss

Has this been posted? Seems new. She's really pretty.

2008090610264194105_1.jpg

New actress Kim Min Ji as been selected to play the character known as Umi in the original version of ‘Boys Over Flowers.’

The BOF production company revealed to the Asian Economic Daily news over the phone that, “Kim Min Ji has been decided upon to play the character known as Umi in the Japanese version and she will make her appearance on the 30th in Episode 24 uptil the 25th episode.”

Kim Min Ji was recently in the KBS drama, Empress Cheon Chu and now in BOF she will aid Goo Jun Pyo who loses his memory and ultimately cause a rift between him and Geum Jandi acting as the part of Umi.

In the meantime, ‘Boys Over Flowers’ will end it’s run with the 25th episode to be broadcast on March 31st.

Source: Asia Economic Daily

Credit: seoulfull.wordpress.com

http://seoulfull.wordpress.com/2009/03/24/...s-over-flowers/

Guest sunnyz1

the following is coming from an enthusiastic Chinese fan's thinking....

i just read it and thought her words are so sincere and reasonable.

so i helped her to post it here..................

special thanks to EMMAW...

A Good Start, an Unfortunate Turn

That is my opinion of the Korean version Boys Over Flowers.

The first 12 episodes are fresh and enjoyable. The story followed the manga closely with some careful adaptation here and there; the characters were nicely set up by the effective performances of the leading actors. But for the past 10 episodes, I, like many audience following the show, sat hopelessly each week only to watch it take a downward spiral. Part 2 of BOF seemed to turn into a product of joint forces by powerful agent (actor representatives) and deep-pocketed sponsors.

Mr. Lee Minho has proved himself to be a very talented and charismatic young actor who carried the first half of the show effectively. We see him building this character with a competency that is rarely seen in a new-comer. Junpyo, though with noticeable differences from the original manga character, managed to instantly capture the hearts of the audience as well as Jandi’s. But since ep. 13, Junpyo did little other than putting on a sad face, eating endless instant noodles(of a certain sponsor), plugging the silly Shihwa cell phone (of another sponsor) whenever he could, and helplessly bearing the harassment from the fiancée who seemed to get increasingly aggressive and annoying with her excessive screen time. Where is the character? The love-stricken, passionate, single-minded Junpyo? Where is the intriguing love story development of the two main characters? With all the sidetracks around them, the two main characters had marginal screen time together to properly deepen their emotional connections, and whenever they did get together, the drama became a weepy or sappy ost mv! Both Junpyo and Jandi became almost unrecognizable in part 2, it’s as if we are watching a different love story of the cousins of J&J!

As to Jihu, we do get the message, dear writers – yes, he is charming, a “firefighter”, an angel, a human GPS, a combination of Mother Teresa and Superman. We love him. But why do we have to get the same lousy message for over 10 episodes? Other than that he’s extremely nice and infatuated with Jandi, we don’t see any layers of emotion or progressions of motives. The storyline of the “runaway grandpa” is weak if not childish, with too many obvious holes in the plot. And yet, the Jihu storyline took up more screen time than Jundi’s. Why??

We understand the needs to have a “love triangle” of some sorts in such drama. But the extra angle/angles should never out-weigh the main two. You cannot tell a story effectively by spreading it evenly to everyone. You will only end up destroying the dynamics between all the characters.

It was, and always should be a “love story between Tsukasa (Junpyo) and Tsukusi (Jandi)” before anything, and then the story of love and friendship with the F3 and other supporting cast. It should never be an EVEN “love triangle” from start to end! The original manga was too sweet and innocent to be cheapened in such cheesy traditional Kdrama way.

So my humble verdict-

Excessive Jihu storyline: ineffective and distracting.

Excessive fiancée storyline: damaging and dragging.

Giving the supporting cast more than necessary scenes does not do the actors any favor in actuality. And it destroys the balance of the story-telling.

One can’t help but wondering if such storyline arrangements has anything to do the backstage politics? Why do I get the feeling that Lee Minho is just as helpless as the Junpyo in part 2, seeing his character diminished and overpowered episode by episode?

As to the “Seoulmate”line, I like both actors. And the original manga did leave some room for a storyline development. However, I found myself watch this line most impatiently. The ex-girlfriend, the womanizer father, the older brother, all seemed to be more distractions than attractions. The writer attempted to provide some deeper psychological explanation for Yijon’s character, but the effort failed to launch. We only saw “plots”, not characters. Both the dialogues and plots were superficial, and the over-dramatization of Yijon’s character unconvincing. It’s most likely that we may see Seoulmates pucker their lips in this version, but it won’t change the fact that this storyline is still half-baked.

All in all, the production company picked themselves a winning number in the casting department. All F4 young actors and Miss Ku proved to be well fit for their roles, though some are more efficient than others. The biggest winner is undoubtedly Mr. Lee Minho, and deservedly so.

The loser has to be the writing team. Part 2 is Korean BOF’s ambitious attempt to be “original”, and the effort proved to be controversial at best. Is it because of the writers own lack of competency, or the overwhelming backstage politics trying to launch certain actors and selling products? Or both.

Note to G8: You invested smartly and made this version of BOF into a pop culture draw, and then you quickly turned it into a money-printing machine. Good plan, though it could have been done in a more subtle fashion. After all, you are making a show, a drama that has something to do “art”, though probably not too much. But it still is not entirely a commercial product. Next time, try to be less obvious if you can help it. Good job in casting and styling, lukewarm in directing, poor in writing and product pushing (need to improve skills in subtlety).

To the writers and pds: 2 episodes left, impossible to undo the damage of the past 10. But we are hoping anyway. Please stop making mv and using excessive flashbacks. Give poor Junpyo and Jandi some plausible storyline, even some decent dialogues, or even just proper screen time.

Ps. Episode 23 has some welcomed improvement. It once again proved what we all knew for 2 months: give Minho some quality material, and he will shine for you. After all, Junpyo IS the leading man. The main reason why the manga was such an endearing and enduring classic!

Guest webby

one thing i loved is their kissing scene. The scenery and music was smooth and matching, i feel so comfortable watching it.

kissing scene epi 23 (junpyo + Jandi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQVFqptLfeY

credit: hoonfamily

completely agree with you. the music was never more appropriate during the kiss. Despite the strong wind making filming complicated, it actually looks really good on film, having their hair tossed in the wind, it was really romantic. Also liked how they filmed jandi approaching junpyo for the kiss, and how junpyo initially had his eyes opened not believing what had just happened before he closed them and kissed jandi back. Ep 22 should've shown us something similar.

Guest wildcard.

oh! Well said! Very very well said!

and I am guessing there's going to be a season two... the two line is goign to be stretched too thin if they're going to rush everything within the next two episodes!

Guest kimngoc266

the following is coming from an enthusiastic Chinese fan's thinking....

i just read it and thought her words are so sincere and reasonable.

so i helped her to post it here..................

special thanks to EMMAW...

A Good Start, an Unfortunate Turn

That is my opinion of the Korean version Boys Over Flowers.

The first 12 episodes are fresh and enjoyable. The story followed the manga closely with some careful adaptation here and there; the characters were nicely set up by the effective performances of the leading actors. But for the past 10 episodes, I, like many audience following the show, sat hopelessly each week only to watch it take a downward spiral. Part 2 of BOF seemed to turn into a product of joint forces by powerful agent (actor representatives) and deep-pocketed sponsors.

Mr. Lee Minho has proved himself to be a very talented and charismatic young actor who carried the first half of the show effectively. We see him building this character with a competency that is rarely seen in a new-comer. Junpyo, though with noticeable differences from the original manga character, managed to instantly capture the hearts of the audience as well as Jandi’s. But since ep. 13, Junpyo did little other than putting on a sad face, eating endless instant noodles(of a certain sponsor), plugging the silly Shihwa cell phone (of another sponsor) whenever he could, and helplessly bearing the harassment from the fiancée who seemed to get increasingly aggressive and annoying with her excessive screen time. Where is the character? The love-stricken, passionate, single-minded Junpyo? Where is the intriguing love story development of the two main characters? With all the sidetracks around them, the two main characters had marginal screen time together to properly deepen their emotional connections, and whenever they did get together, the drama became a weepy or sappy ost mv! Both Junpyo and Jandi became almost unrecognizable in part 2, it’s as if we are watching a different love story of the cousins of J&J!

We understand the needs to have a “love triangle” of some sorts in such drama. But the extra angle/angles should never out-weigh the main two. You cannot tell a story effectively by spreading it evenly to everyone. You will only end up destroying the dynamics between all the characters.

It was, and always should be a “love story between Tsukasa (Junpyo) and Tsukusi (Jandi)” before anything, and then the story of love and friendship with the F3 and other supporting cast. It should never be an EVEN “love triangle” from start to end! The original manga was too sweet and innocent to be cheapened in such cheesy traditional Kdrama way.

So my humble verdict-

Excessive Jihu storyline: ineffective and distracting.

Excessive fiancée storyline: damaging and dragging.

Giving the supporting cast more than necessary scenes does not do the actors any favor in actuality. And it destroys the balance of the story-telling.

One can’t help but wondering if such storyline arrangements has anything to do the backstage politics? Why do I get the feeling that Lee Minho is just as helpless as the Junpyo in part 2, seeing his character diminished and overpowered episode by episode?

The loser has to be the writing team. Part 2 is Korean BOF’s ambitious attempt to be “original”, and the effort proved to be controversial at best. Is it because of the writers own lack of competency, or the overwhelming backstage politics trying to launch certain actors and selling products? Or both.

To the writers and pds: 2 episodes left, impossible to undo the damage of the past 10. But we are hoping anyway. Please stop making mv and using excessive flashbacks. Give poor Junpyo and Jandi some plausible storyline, even some decent dialogues, or even just proper screen time.

Ps. Episode 23 has some welcomed improvement. It once again proved what we all knew for 2 months: give Minho some quality material, and he will shine for you. After all, Junpyo IS the leading man. The main reason why the manga was such an endearing and enduring classic!

Sorry I cut of some of the quote because I don't want to quote it too long. The assessment is so accurate. The first season of this drama is good, so fun to watch, but the second season, I was disappointed. I think the preview look way better than the actual episode. I know that all the actors and actresses worked very hard for this drama, but the PD and scripwiter make a mess of the storyline.

I guess we have to really low down our expectation.

Guest phanlinh_111

:sweatingbullets: Sorry, I know now it's too late! But, anybody may translate the conversation between JD and JP during the final date and when they broke up?

I like the kiss scene today because I feel JD kisses more " active" ( sorry my English is not good, I'm not sure I use this word right):in many pictures I have, I see JD almost didn't move lips! LOL... So, it's a really nice kiss! :P

But I think if Mr.PD adds the nose kiss at the end of this scene, it's so great! Like this: pp09032200031.jpg

anyway, I feel so sad! Poor JP and JD. There are only 2 eps left but their happy moment is too short! :(

Mr PD, plz, do smth! I need more love scenes!

Guest aurelie

POOR jp he was so happy during their date !! and now it's the hell because of his mother, only 2 episodes before the end :tears:

I HOPE AN HAPPY ENDING BTW JP AND JD !!

lee minho acting is amazing !!!

episode 23 was very good!

Guest F4fan

Why is it that even not understanding one word being spoken I teared up so frequently in the episode? Why is it that my heart still remains twisted after seeing JP-JD's date and break up? Why?

Its because GHS and LMH gave such convincing performances. From her soliloquy by JP's dad's bedside to her meeting with JP's mom to her teary look-back at JP, I felt JD's pain and her heavy heart. Thank you, GHS. Thank you, LMH, for your happiness and joy to your scream of sheer pain to your drunken state. You have made up at least the torture I went through watching too many JK episodes.

This was a great episode. The bus break up almost equalled the Macau breakup. JD was almost as cold as JP and JP was almost as emotional as JD. I think what helped lessened it was that JD was just as emotional. The only difference was that I was prepared for this break-up. I wasn't prepared for the Macau one. That was a punch to the gut.

---

I ask again......Why are we even still discussing if JD ends up with JH?

From blue_angel's translated line of JD's, she declares to JP's mother, Mama Kang, that her biggest regret was that she couldn't save JP, whom she loves the most, from her. She could save GE and JH, but she couldn't save JP. JD might be retreating but she is going to try to save JP from the injustice and evilness of his mother. She also said that she can't let him go no matter how much she tried. JP is it for her. If its not JP, it might be no one.... or at least for a very, very long time. JH can propose until he is blue in the face and JD will never accept.

Guest honeybeat44

at this point i really don't care who jandi ends up with as long as she ends up with someone and they stop

be all draggy and bringing these new characters in :tongue2:

Guest CrazyYochy

What happened to Yijung and Gaeul?

All of you are going crazy over Jandi, Junpyo and Jihoo. Anyway, JanDi in neither of the 2 version before (Japanese and Taiwanese) ends up with Jihoo. Unless the PD does something out of the blue, which change the story/manga completely from the original.

About the PD rushing everything in the last 2 episodes, it might mean he doesnt want to do a 2nd part of the drama (which I am not going to watch. 2nd parts are never as good as the first ones.). I do wonder how is he going to fit in just 2 episodes all the things that are going to happen.

1l1237909577.jpg

Credits: Paran

If anyone could help and translates this news about his heartbreaking story, it would be helpful. Clik here for the news!

Guest 7blue

LMH perfom in this EP very excellent.

If this drama's more concentrade to JP & JD. I think, It's better.

I love all moment when JD & JP're in together.

I hope, they have happy ending

Ok Mr. pd man about Episode 22 – a lot of hype very little sizzle. Are we still watching BOF or “The Love Story of Ji Hoo The Other F4”? I swear, even if JD ends up with JP, part 2 of BOF is more of the love story of JH. Boy meets girl, falls in love but in the end loses the girl; so even though the story has a sad ending, it’s still a story of this boy. JD is like a ping pong ball going back and forth between JP and JH. The KHJ gravy train is being milked by Mr. pd man and Ms. Scripwriter for all its worth. They forgot that LMH is just as popular even more so and a much better actor to boot. I ain’t complaining about the presence of KHJ cuz he’s such an eye candy however, he is not the main character of the story but LMH and GHS.

The wedding ceremony almost made me go into a giggling spasm for being so corny its not even funny. Is it just me or did Mr. pd man just made JK the heroine for stopping a wedding thus saving the Jundi ship from sinking? How can she be a credible heroine when she was the one responsible for this fiasco anyway. She knew of the relationship of JP and JD and should have graciously bowed out instead of hurting, according to her, the most important persons in her life, meaning JP and JD by continuing on until the day of the wedding. I don’t know how her mind works but she certainly defies logic. In the meantime, it turned even more comical when the F3 and GA chimed in their protest while JP was just standing there looking like he was irritated that the wedding ceremony did not push through. He even asked JK “What happened?” And how did JK got wind of what Mama kang was up to? Shouldn’t it be JP’s job to protect JD from his mother? He had people monitoring JD’s movement in Macau, so he can very well take care of protecting JD. What I did not like about this was that Mr. pd man portrayed JP’s character as inept, useless and idiotic that he had to have people like JK and JH to bail him out from any tight situation he’s in.

jpjd_ep22.jpg

jpjd1_ep22.jpg

jpjd2_ep22.jpg

After the botched wedding ceremony, JP rushed to JD's side and hugged her tightly. JD, err, a little enthusiasm would help with this scene. But of course, it will not be ok for JD to show any happiness upon seeing her Romeo because there is still that unresolved issue of their, ehem, relationship? The last time I checked, they broke off in Macau and JP did not show any indication, apart from stalking her, that he wants her back in his life. This to me was a very awkward scene and was not sweet at all. It would have been nice Mr. pd man if you reconciled the two before the wedding; at least even if they were to be separated it was clear in their minds that they still love each other. This scene would have fireworks and sparks as the two hugged, cried and kissed each other because, at last, they're free to love again.

jpjd5_ep22.jpg

jpjd4_ep22.jpg

jpjd3_ep22.jpg

Even more awkward was the scene at the "honeymoon" place where JK arranged for JP and JD to stay. The pictures were better and more romantic than the actual scenes. There was no romance, JP and JD seemed more like a couple on a prom date rather than lovers. LMH and GHS appear uncomfortable and gave me the impression they were about to burst into laughter any minute. And the dance, were they just practicing or was that the actual scene? The only time they looked at each other was when JP pulled JD from her seat to dance with him. Shouldn't they be dancing closely and staring at each other's eyes like any couple madly in love?

jpjd7_ep22.jpg

The stargazing scene was ok except that JP should have given an explanation for his cruel behaviour in Macau instead of just apologizing. The kiss would have been sweet if only GHS did not look so stiff. A kiss is the most natural thing in this world that could happen to two people in love but Mr. pd man ruins it by giving me a sense of malice, like it’s something dirty and should not be tolerated by the viewers. Are netizens this narrow-minded?

jpjd8_ep22.jpg

jpjd9_ep22.jpg

jpjd10_ep22.jpg

The morning after, JP and JD were shyly gazing at each other while soaking their feet and I am thinking that they slept together. Although it was not shown, the giveaway was a shot of the bed with flowers and JD looking at it with a smile on her lips. This may be a foreshadowing of a little JP in the future.

jpjd11_ep22.jpg

JK paid JH a visit to return JD's necklace. She told him that she regretted the moment she let JP go. This tells me that she was just afraid that JP will reject her at the alter and not because she was doing it for the sake of JP and JD.

jh_ep22.jpg

Is JD naive or supremely dense? After JH returned the necklace to her, she dragged JP to the airport to thank JK and bid her goodbye. Why? It's obvious that the woman was demented enough to take a necklace that does not belong to her, pretend that she was JD's friend while manipulating everything to her favor just to get JP. I like the scene even if the rationale was flawed because JP and JD were now reconciled and appeared before JK as a couple that she cannot destroy or separate.

jpjd12_ep22.jpg

jpjd13_ep22.jpg

There should have been more WB scenes with JD. He was just cool, giving much needed encouragement to JD.

jd2_ep22.jpg

JD just became so hopelessly docile and it's painful to watch her being maligned by the evil witch who accused her of causing the catastrophe with the Shinwa's stocks losing value because of the failed merger. Good thing GA and JH's grandfather were there to help her out.

jhjd_ep22.jpg

jhjd1_ep22.jpg

The haircutting and car washing scenes of JD and JH were cute but not necessary because it took too much precious time away from JP and JD moments that have been way to short considering they're the main couple.

jhjd2_ep22.jpg

jhjd5_ep22.jpg

The secretary put so much faith in JD that he brought her to JP's dad. I was touched by the secretary's unwavering loyalty and inate goodness towards JP's dad, protecting him from the evil clutches of the witch.

jd1_ep22.jpg

The zoo scene brought back the old JP and JD who warmed everyone's heart with their light banter over JD bringing with her the cutest little boy on their date.

jpjd14_ep22.jpg

jpjd15_ep22.jpg

I can't decide who is cuter, JP whose scratching his head looking more like a third wheel, or the little tyke who obviously adores JD.

jpjd16_ep22.jpg

jpjd17_ep22.jpg

I'm becoming more and more pessimistic about the ending of this drama. Oh well.