[drama 2002] Miss Mermaid/ Mermaid Lady 인어아가씨

Guest Choi Ji Woo

Guest mariella

wow.. old drama. I remember this though. it ended vaguely. I remember reading in the papers, they interviewed the writer.

She said she left it with two possibilities. That's why you see Ariyoung or Irene as some people refer to her as, smiling at her kids and her husband from a far. It could be real or it could be just her spirit. There is not definite answer but to what the audience wants it to be.

I always find the names that other countries.. especially philipines change the Korean characters to, are kind of funny sometimes. In this drama, I was laughing especially at the name Mario. Koreans, if they have English names, usually have christian names or just plain names like John, David.. etc. Mario is just too funny.. especially for an older person. I dunno, I keep laughing at the thought of someone calling him Mario. My other Korean friend just bursted out laughing when I told her too.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gemt

I always find the names that other countries.. especially philipines change the Korean characters to, are kind of funny sometimes. In this drama, I was laughing especially at the name Mario. Koreans, if they have English names, usually have christian names or just plain names like John, David.. etc. Mario is just too funny.. especially for an older person. I dunno, I keep laughing at the thought of someone calling him Mario. My other Korean friend just bursted out laughing when I told her too.

i guess Filipino names sounds strange to other countries just like names common to other countries sounds strange to us. :lol:

since filipinos are not familiar with korean names, it becomes necessary to change the names of the character to a name that are common and can easily be recalled by many. most often, tv networks choose a name that is nearest to the original k name such as ariyoung became irene, jun-suh and eunsuh became johnny and jenny(AIMH), han ji-eun became jessie(FH).

as to the name mario (male version of the name maria/mary), philippines was colonized by spain for hundred of years thus most filipino names are hispanic. in fact mario is a common name in the philippines especially to older generations. but nowadays, hispanic names are replaced by its american version such as john, david.... :(( i love hispanic names more).we seldom name our children mario these days except if it has a significance/history to the family or if one want a hispanic name. in that case, it's not only mario but we add a 2nd name such as mario jose, rico mario, etc.... mario itself is kind of antiquated name already here like jose, juan... :D

i hope this put some shed as to the naming of k characters in the philippines. :)

miss mermaid is one of my fave k drama also. if only they did not extend it ....then i would have consider this as perfect. good story, good acting, good moral value and good pacing on the 1st half, that is.

for me, i prefer to interpret the ending as one that is happy. after all the hardship that ariyoung/irene suffered she deserve to live and be happy together with her family.

:)

Guest mariella

i guess Filipino names sounds strange to other countries just like names common to other countries sounds strange to us. :lol:

since filipinos are not familiar with korean names, it becomes necessary to change the names of the character to a name that are common and can easily be recalled by many. most often, tv networks choose a name that is nearest to the original k name such as ariyoung became irene, jun-suh and eunsuh became johnny and jenny(AIMH), han ji-eun became jessie(FH).

as to the name mario (male version of the name maria/mary), philippines was colonized by spain for hundred of years thus most filipino names are hispanic. in fact mario is a common name in the philippines especially to older generations. but nowadays, hispanic names are replaced by its american version such as john, david.... :(( i love hispanic names more).we seldom name our children mario these days except if it has a significance/history to the family or if one want a hispanic name. in that case, it's not only mario but we add a 2nd name such as mario jose, rico mario, etc.... mario itself is kind of antiquated name already here like jose, juan... :D

i hope this put some shed as to the naming of k characters in the philippines. :)

miss mermaid is one of my fave k drama also. if only they did not extend it ....then i would have consider this as perfect. good story, good acting, good moral value and good pacing on the 1st half, that is.

for me, i prefer to interpret the ending as one that is happy. after all the hardship that ariyoung/irene suffered she deserve to live and be happy together with her family.

yeah.. the name mario isn't what was funny to me.. it's a normal name. I know filipino people with hispanic names too and it sounds normal and even nice. But it's just really funny to me on a older Korean, Korean man. the name and the face has a funny combination together.. but separate it's normal... i dunno how to explain it.

• 2 months later...
Guest emilyjx1692

I loved this drama and would love to see this again. Does anyone know where I can download or buy this drama. Thanks so much.

Guest seal824

It's one of my favorite Kdrama as well IF it ended at part I. With the exception of the role of Ariyang's father ( what a super jerk!), I like the rest of the cast. Great acting, good story line, decent character development. I thought this drama was quite sucessfull yet I don't see the actress in any other drama after that. Does anyone know what happen to her?

• 7 months later...
Guest Moenyar

Hi Everyone,

Here is another tv series that Kim Sung Taek acted airs in our country.That is "King' s flower fairy", also a long one, over 100 episodes.

More than in "Mermaid" he can act v- well with Lee Da Hae(the leading actress), she's the one from famous series"My Girl".

The way he looks, speaks to Da Hae is v- kind & v lovely. They look like a real couple.

There' s also a thread for that series. You can find it easily.

Just would like to share a good series.

Moenyar

• 1 month later...
Guest dominique820

thanks to everyone who replied here, especially to gemt!!! we met again in this thread..thanks for the infos!!!

this drama is one of the highest - rating korean dramas here in the philippines, despite of its A.M. timeslot..

to those who praised jang seo hee's acting prowess & elegant beauty, count me in..i'm also one of her fans!!!

to those who find kim sung taek ugly, well..everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion so i respect yours...

but, mind you..kim sung taek is one of the most crushed & most loved k-actors here in the philippines..haha!

i'm happy i found a forum about this.

kim sung taek is my first korean actor crush. he makes me wanna melt. :rolleyes: too bad he's not as popular in korea as other korean actors. :mellow:

does anyone know where i can watch the series?

• 6 months later...

i remember this drama! watched most of the episodes!

watched it back when it aired.. was my favorite drama! still have songs from the ost on my computer..

what happened to the actress who played ariyoung? does she act still?

I just finished watching this drama (in Mandarin) and I liked Parts 1, 2, and some of 3. But by Part 4 it started to drag and get boring.

And then when the other psycho girl appeared it just went downhill. I mean, what was the whole point of that? It really didn't fit their characters.

Such a pity they had to drag it out just for the ratings and then messing up the characters.

Also, though the ending was supposed to be vague, the heart beat monitor prior to the last scene did show a few blips so I assume she did live.

Still... if you watch this, I would just stop after the main lead's sister gets married. Everything after that is just weird :)

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest swingline

wow.. old drama. I remember this though. it ended vaguely. I remember reading in the papers, they interviewed the writer. She said she left it with two possibilities. That's why you see Ariyoung or Irene as some people refer to her as, smiling at her kids and her husband from a far. It could be real or it could be just her spirit. There is not definite answer but to what the audience wants it to be.

*Spoiler* Actually, she flat lines in the operating table.. then she comes back to life as we see she gets her pulses back and screen fades to her husband and two kids running down the hill laughing and her smiling and walking toward them as it ends. This drama actually tanked last 35 episodes because the unnecessary idiotic plot twist they hammered it mercifully without proper resolve. It's like they didn't know how or when to end it and dragged on and on and ruined what could've been descent series. 240+ episodes and probably 100 episodes they overkilled it..

• 1 month later...

Can someone please tell me where i can download this?

i've been searching everywhere, but the only place there is is aja-aja.com. but aja-aja.com is closed down lo anonymous or free users :C

I've also started downloading this drama from aja-aja.

But they close down or shut it off for free users. I'm not even halfway through the series.

I don't really download from aja-aja because they are pretty strict and I prefer torrent or clubbox since it's not strict... and free.

But I only use their links for personal use on my laptop. I don't post their links in any site or whatever.

But I can't become member since I won't be able to donate.

Plus, I'm only interested in downloading Miss Mermaid from them.

• 1 month later...
Guest Lisarghh

can someone tell me where i can go download it.

have you founf where to download it ? :unsure: i really want to watch it again :(

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

We used to have this dubbed in our language, and I remember being hooked by the revenge plot (except for the additional/unnecessary episodes right at the end), so I would really like to watch it again. I can't find it anywhere. T_T I'm still hoping that someone takes this project since I've seen some Kdrama classics that are already available online--that didn't used to be. I didn't even think that Temptation of Wife would get subbed because of the number of episodes, but it did get subbed. Still hoping that this drama becomes available for free users. :D

Archived