[manga] Emma

Guest Q_Park

Guest Q_Park

[completed] A Historical Romance (Victorian Era England)
EMMA

By: Kaoru Mori

200px-Emma_manga_vol01.jpg

In late 19th century London, William Jounes, a member of the gentry, meets and falls in love with Emma, and she with him. This chance meeting overturns both their lives - for Emma is a maid, and the barriers of class and wealth stand between them.

There is also an anime for this. It has two seasons and the first season is 12 episodes long and I don't know how long the second season is.

Volumes: 10 (Complete) http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=104

Published by: CMX
Anime Episodes: 1st Season: 12 + 2nd season: 12

Emma

Originally from a poor seaside Yorkshire village, she was kidnapped as a young girl to be sold to a London brothel. She managed to escape, but became lost in London. She managed to work odd jobs for food, until she was taken under the wing of Kelly Stowner, as her maid. Under Mrs. Stowner, Emma was taught to read, write, and a variety of other subjects.

William Jones

The male protagonist of the story. He is the eldest son of the "House of Jones", a very wealthy merchant middle class family that is attempting to rise into the gentry. As his father's heir, he is under tremendous stress to not only take over the family business but also marry into another wealthy family, preferably into the peerage. He developed feelings for Emma after their first meeting.

Kelly Stowner

Emma's employer and William Jones' former governess. She married at the age of 18, but lost her husband two years into the marriage, and did not have any children. Young and educated, Mrs. Stowner decided to become a governess, and tutored William and his siblings with an iron fist. Right before retiring, she met Emma, and took her in as her maid. Kelly was the one who taught Emma to do the household chores, to read, and to write. It was also Kelly who acted as a 'bridge' between Emma and William, although she realized that the relationship between Emma and William would never work out smoothly.

Hakim Atawari

William Jones' best friend, who is a prince from India, and acts as a foil for William. He and William both attended Eton College. Somewhat of a womanizer, Hakim's straightforwardness and outgoingness is a clear departure from William's reservedness and dislike for social events. Hakim usually has his servant harem accompanying him and travels with a full complement of servants and elephants. Like William, Hakim was captivated with Emma the first time he saw her.

5-2.jpg

Eleanor Campbell

The young daughter of a viscount who falls in love with William. Her feelings for William are often reinforced by misunderstandings from William's courtesy and accommodation. Though her family is of the peerage, her family's financial situation is deteriorating. Due to this, her father very much wants Eleanor to marry into the wealthier, but lower class, Jones family.

I read this ages ago and I was suprised to see that there wasn't a topic about it so I decided to make one.

- Kyu

Emma-animedia02.jpg

1-yt3ts.jpg

329.jpg

Guest PecanPie02

hmm.. what would you say... did you like the series? would you recommend ppl reading it??

because everytime i see it (like the cover and stuff) the art doesnt seem to appealing lol.. but if the storys good ill check it out! :)

Guest Q_Park

^

Yup, I'd totally recomend it to everyone who likes reading romance.

The art is also one of the things that turned me off but I was bored and

I read it and it was suprisingly good. The setting and story is pretty acurate

and it's one of my favorites.

- Kyu

PS. I'm also watching the anime right now and so far it's following the manga pretty well.

Guest Aravis

OMG an Emma thread! Yay! This is one of my absolute favorite manga. It starts off really cute and adorable, but it becomes much more serious and darker as the story progresses. For those who don't find the art appealing, it becomes much more intricate as the story goes along (seemingly as the story get more serious too).

I love love love the soundtrack of the anime. I much prefer the manga though; the anime doesn't quite make William as cute as he is in the manga. In the manga, he's that adorable bumbling fool in love. And Emma is pretty silly too. You can't help but root for them. The adorableness just OOZES in the first chapter. Kyaa~

Edit: I also have the Further Tales manga, which serves as sort of a sequel to Emma, as well as Polychrome which contains an Emma/Shirley crossover along with some more oneshots about English maids. Kaoru Mori seems to love the maids. XD And the Victorian Romance Guide. I just need the anime and my Emma collection will be complete! :D :D :D

• 6 months later...
Guest anniexiong

this manga sound good...it look nice...thanks for recommending....it looks like it does not had too much drama in it hahahahehehhe

• 1 year later...
Guest Stolen_waters

I just watched my favorite episodes in the anime again and reread my favorite chapters in the manga, and omg I still loved it. This is seriously one of the best ever. I can't believe this thread only has 6 replies.

Guest angel_cutie

hehe like lots of what you guys said already, the art wasnt that appealing at first, but the story... it's really really good

i was bored and i saw it on a library self so i decided to give it a try ^^

• 1 month later...

OH MY GOSH!

I love this anime!

Reading and watching, and listening to its OST (the OST for this anime is absolutely LOVELY!), Emma right now!

I've always wondered what this anime was about -- and I gave it a try and boy! I was blown away.

It's so light and I seriously cry in every episode. It's so sad how their love for each other is so strong and everyone is trying to bring them down -- I fell in love with the storyline instantly!

I recommend this anime to anyone! Just be patient with it!

tumblr_l0eeitaKjw1qzjirro1_500.jpg

^ LOL. Will got caught reading ... xD

Going to spread the <3 right now!

• 2 months later...

Emma is probably one of the best manga i've read, i loved it! i admit i was a little put off by the art, but the story, the historic backdrop and the characters quickly enrapture you completely. i love how the manga is subtle yet poignant, most importantly, it has a lot of heart. i'd also recommend the sequel.

^ LOL. Will got caught reading ... xD

HAH! i totally lol-ed at this too, there's just something very amusing about the idea of reading a Victorian version of Ralph magazine in a public library.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest PRINCE KYARII

ahh! i didn't know there was an emma thread. hahah. this manga is really good!

the art isn't exactly eyecandy at first but it grows unto you and the story is really interesting and different!

Guest bellus

thanks for the recommendation! :) I read it all after reading ur summary, and it was definitely worthwhile! Very good story plus nice way to learn about the history of Victorian England

Guest Symone1989

Have anyone read a book called Model? Its a pretty great anime book I used to have almost all of em when I was in middle school but a "friend" stole em which made me upset and I can't find any more of at all

• 4 months later...
Guest JaneElliot

I read the first few chapters, but couldn't really get into the story/characters. I just finished the first volume of her new series, A Bride's Story, which takes place in central Asia, Caucasus region, 19th century. It's very interesting, and the artwork's amazing, but the story's kind of slow. There's lot's of exposition and little narrative momentum. Anyone else read this one yet? I'd be interested to know how it compares to Emma...

1cover.jpgf.jpg

Archived