1949 (2009)

utkim

Guest alexdan

John Woo directing 1949

John Woo has signed to direct the big budget romance film 1949, and is scheduled to start production as soon as he finishes up his epic Red Cliff.

Variety reports 1949 is a $40 million Chinese language film with Woo lined up to produce. Terence Chang's Lion Rock and Fortissimo Films are set to handle worldwide rights outside China.

The film is based on a true story that happened at the end of WWII and the final years of the Chinese Civil War.

1949 will star Chang Chen and Korea's Song Hye-kyo. It was written by Wang Hui-ling (Lust Caution and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon).

The film is scheduled to start shooting in December in China and Taiwan with theatrical release planned for December 2009 and the 60th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, I'm a bit disappointed. As much as I think SHG is a beauty queen, I don't think her acting chops measure up to her beauty. I almost kinda hope she has a vase role, just standing there to look pretty.

I watched Hwang Jini (?), and it was terrible! Her in Autumn In my Heart isn't very impressive either. I personally feel that Moon Geun-yeung set the stage for SHG to be loved in Autumn in My Heart because MQY was just amazing in her role as the child version of SHG.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest arcanewish

gosh i love chang chen!!!!! cant wait for the movie hahah! and red cliff, it's gonna be released soonn!!! a week from now actually!! ahhh the wait is excruciating.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tisya

I saw this one at songhyegyo.net, dont know this had been posted or not though.

Zhao Wei and Song Hye Kyo Share Close Friendship

At a press conference held in Beijing on the 2nd, award winning actress Zhao Wei of China talked about her close friendship with Song Hye Kyo which is drawing attention.

zhao Wei, whose current film is 'Red Cliff' revealed, "At the recent Cannes Film Festival, I met Song Hye Kyo. During the time we spent together, we became really close." She also added, "We made a promise that the next time I go to Korea, we'd talk to our hearts content. However, I recently started filming a new project and wasn't able to attend the ['Red Cross'] press conference in Korea. Because of that I wasn't able to keep the promise which is such a regret." /quote]

News courtesy of Laila85, I hope you dont mind. this thread is being forgotten.

Img257938655.jpg

Wonder if there is any poll out there on who would like to eat Korean bbq with Kyo in Korea; I bet Vicky would be the first one to sign up 'cos in other news she also mentioned that she would love to hang out & have korean bbq with Kyo.

Not sure if it is just me, the drama she did in Princess Pearl has similar characteristic as HJE in Full House, very comical; Zhao's drama on Romance in the Rain is as tearjerking as AIMH if not much more. I can see why they both clique so well when they met at Cannes bubbling away; they must have similar personalities.

starangel, maybe they converse in both Mandarin & English since Kyo is becoming multi-linguistic actress :blush: . quote]

Janice, I added your news report here I feel this is part of this thread. thank you

Guest tisya

Updating our thread thank you ECHAN for the news

http://ent.huanqiu.com/moive/hk/2008-07/169257.html

John Woo for the next work, said the intention in a Chinese film after shooting a foreign language film, there will be some adjustments and I will take one called" 1949 "movie. The script is very good, I have had some who cannot wait." It is learnt that the film from Ang Lee's script writer Wang Huiling Caodao QC, On several times in the life and death for the couple farewell. The new film by John Woo described as a tragic love story of color.

"I think that 1949 was all the Chinese people are a special year, in this era of love should be more narrative. I like is a sensational director, there are very interested in this new script . "John Woo revealed that the male movie actor as Zhang and SongHyeKyo. who has a very innocent image and compatible with Zhang Zhen the classical way, I think the two are very suitable, I hope the audience will like them. This film will start filming at the end of the year, has initially set the release to be end of next year.

Guest kierelun

New "1949" a bit like "Titanic" - Director John Woo

After the "Chibi" after the shooting, John Woo says he likes to work in mainland China is also very much appreciate the actor. So the next two to three years will be mainly to the Chinese movie. Under an art film "1949" will be shot in Shanghai and Taiwan. After Zaipai will be a martial arts film.

Although the "Chibi" has not been completed publicity, but a John Woo's next opera "1949" in preparation. Actress Song has arrived in Shanghai, started learning Chinese. But in addition to Song and Zhang Zhen other actors have not yet determined. John Woo said, "1949" about the story of three pairs of young people, including Taiwan's role in the way ships to the story. John Woo said: "I feel there is such that" Titanic "flavor."

Although the shootout is the world-famous, but the recent shooting John Woo film seems to be little interest. "Some want to shoot, such as laborers history of blood and tears like the theme, hope to do something a bit meaningless, on behalf of the Chinese people's spirit of things."

credit to : yule.tom.com

Guest kierelun

Movie of 1949 -The script has not come out - an interview with John Woo

John Wu say that it is a love story, very warm & touching. Others always said that he will not make the movie, therefore he wants to make a movie to look for others.

Except for Zhang Zhen and Song HyeKyoo, whether he will choose other stars to play?   

John Woo: The script has not come out, wait for the script to come out first then we will announce again.   

Chooses Zhang Zhen is because of "Red Cliff" cooperation.

some people said that Zhang Zhen will become Wu Yusen's new favorite?   

JW: Cannot say, this movie just has conform to his making thing. He chose Song Hye Kyo depending on intuition, & read before about Song's work? She looked specially lovable.   

Recording: "1949", Song HyeKyo's role is what kind of?  

Jw: In movie story leading lady makings supple, is very docile, possible, because meets this role requirement only then to elect her.

Why doesn't you choose the Chinese actress, but uses South Korean ? Whether to worry she does not understand the Chinese history to be unable into the play?   

JW: I choose her for the role is must depend on his intuition, is not who will recommend him to listen.

Now the movie has started to begin to prepare? When begins shooting?   

JW: I am tired of "Red Cliff" the last part, the last part also has many things not to do well, he was dying suddenly. Therefore you asked that now "1949" I cannot answer.

credit : ent.sina.com.cn/x/2008-07-24/12212112634.shtml

hey, this sounds pretty interesting~~~ will be watching out for it

wow, who do I see here in this thread, welcome back 'sweet_treats1812' :w00t: . Long time no see dear.

You are away from home for too long dear.

thanks tisya for keeping the thread alive

Guest tisya

Movie of 1949 -An Interview with Director John Woo on 1949

John Wu say that it is a love story, very warm & touching. Others always said that he will not make the movie, therefore he wants to make a movie to look for others. Except for Zhang Zhen and Song HyeKyoo, whether he will choose other stars to play?   

John Woo: The script has not come out, wait for the script to come out first then we will announce again. He chose Zhang Zhen is because of "Red Cliff" cooperation.

Some people said that Zhang Zhen will become Wu Yusen's new favorite?   

JW: Cannot say, this movie just has conform to his making thing.

Why did you chose Song Hye Kyo?

JW: I chose Song Hye Kyo depending on intuition & I have read before about Song's work. She looked specially lovable.   

In the movie "1949", what kind of role is Song HyeKyo's?  

JW: In movie story leading lady makings supple, is very docile, possible, because meets this role requirement only then to elect her.

Why didn't you choose a Chinese actress, but South Korean ? Arent you worried that she does not understand the Chinese history to be able to act in this movie?   

JW: I choose her for the role is much depend on his intuition, not based on other's recommendation.

Now the movie has started to begin to prepare? When begins shooting?   

JW: I am tired of "Red Cliff" the last part, it has many things which did not do well, he was dying suddenly. Therefore you asked me now about "1949", I cannot answer.

credit : ent.sina.com.cn/x/2008-07-24/12212112634.shtml

thank you Echan for the item

Guest tisya

GothamPosted: Wed., Jul. 16, 2008, 8:00pm PTJohn Woo fires off 'Caliber'

Director to helm comicbook adaptation

By PATRICK FRATER

'Caliber'

Woo

More Articles:

TV biz picks up as film slows down

'Dark Knight' premieres in New York

Premiere's brotherly love

NAMT taps musicals for fall festival

Kate Hudson

Eric WinterJohn Woo will direct comicbook adaptation "Caliber," to be unveiled at next week's Comic-Con in San Diego.

Pic looks likely to be a three-way co-production of Johnny Depp's Infinitum Nihil, Barry Levine's Radical Comics and Lion Rock, the U.S.-based shingle that Woo runs with longstanding partner Terence Chang.

Radical Comics' hit story sets King Arthur and his knights as 19th century gunslingers in the Pacific Northwest.

"Caliber" is unlikely to be Woo's next pic. He is editing part two of his epic "Red Cliff" for a January release in Asia and will deliver an international version shortly thereafter.

Part one of "Red Cliff" opened July 10 in six Asian territories and scored a $26 million weekend.

Woo previously announced that he will helm Lion Rock's $40 million pic "1949," a period romancer set against the tumultuous background of the Chinese Revolution. Production is skedded after completion of "Red Cliff" and is now casting.

Woo's other Stateside projects include a remake of 1969 French crime drama "The Sicilian Clan," which starred Alain Delon and Lino Ventura, and "The Divide," the story of a Chinese laborer working on America's transcontinental railroads in the 19th century.

Comic-Con runs July 24-27.

Guest kierelun

According to Taiwan media reports John Woo's "Red Cliff" , Chinese box office, open red zone set new film "1949" even more attention, in addition to filming Song Hye Kyo and Zhang Zhen, another pair of twin Dan protagonist, played by Song as General's wife.

John Woo once again become a popular Chinese film characters, such as Xuepian solicitation new film coming, but his new partners not any big studios, but from Taiwan, in the jewelry business before the first Kuazu Filming of the women entrepreneurs are Linyi. Lin Yi are frankly hope that "1949" for Taiwan Pictures from the spacious, the opportunity to train more rookie, the film also looks forward to a good response, attract more investment in film business owners.

"1949" will be opening the Sino-Japanese war, through three pairs of men and women, showing the human glorious era of unrest, although the KMT-CPC civil war as the focus, the script is careful not to demonize any of the parties, not only playing the Taiwan doctor Zhang Zhen, Song Played by the KMT or the general's wife, she also this Qinlian Chinese.

Tablets of the paragraphs of the scenes, including Battle of World War Two, John Woo considered filming in the mainland, but the highlight of another boat, probably in Taiwan viewfinder, this crew from the south to the north Zou Toutou.

credit : mtime

Guest tisya

babelfish trans -

According to Taiwan media reported that Wu Yusen "Red Cliff" operates the new years 1st market greatly in the Chinese people area box office, the new piece "1949" receive focuses attention on, in the piece besides Song Huiqiao and Zhang Zhen, has the twin double day lead in addition, plays General Song Huiqiao the husband actor, locks Liang Chaowei the rank super giant star, but will play general who the minute passed through the entire piece to transmit orders in the three places across two shore will seek for the rising star to play an important role, the light was Taiwan area had surpasses 600 email registration, even intended bamboo branch engineer who attempted acts in a play to volunteer services many.

After "Red Cliff", Wu Yusen becomes the Chinese people film circle popular character once again, the new piece invites like the snowflake to fly, however his new partner actually non-any big movie studio, but before is family background Taiwan, is engaged in female entrepreneur Lin Yijun who jewelry business, the first cross full movie photograph. Lin Yijun spoke frankly that the hope take "1949" strives for as Taiwan movie industry to inspire fades my, the trained more rising star's turning points, also anticipated that the flat and thin piece has the good response, attraction more business owners invests the shooting.

"1949" by the Sino-Japanese war beginning, the affiliation 3 pair of men's and women's vicissitudes of life, will be presenting the turmoil time the human nature glory, although take the Kuomintang and Communist Parties civil war as a key point, the script actually careful does not smear any side, not only has Taiwan doctor who Zhang Zhen plays, wife who of the Kuomintang general Song Huiqiao acts, she also for this reason industriously practices Chinese.

In piece several sections of magnificent scenes, engage in a decisive battle and so on including the Xu freshwater mussel two wars, Wu Yusen consider in the mainland photography, but another section of sunken wreck's climax, possibly selects a scene in Taiwan, for this reason the dramatic team also from south to north walks thoroughly thoroughly compares the scenery.

~~~~~~

WOW.... if interpreted correctly..... Zhang Zhen acts as a doctor and Hye Kyo a General's wife

who is Liang Chaowei (sounds familiar)..... and he acts as her husband ?

Report by Putrin

Putrin, thank you. As Utkim said, I hope they could pick Andy Lau Tak-Wah.

Echan, thank you also for the news items posted.

Guest hearte

song hye kyo looks gorgeous in that picture!

i can't wait to watch this.

the thread's title confused me, haha.

• 4 months later...

Archived