[drama 2009] The Iron Empress / Empress Cheon Chu 천추태후

Guest huangsy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MisterX

so anyone caught the first episode? how was it?

Good stuff, more or less. First battle with the bears is pretty painful (why waste time on all that CG when half the shots are made of some staff member running in oversized bear costumes? What's that, Teletubbies in Goryeo?), but just about everything after that is quite good. Directing is brisk and fast paced as always with Shin Chang-Seok, and Jung Doo-Hong's battle scenes are quite well choreographed (if you've seen Age of Warriors, think of a semi-upgrade of that style). Chae Si-Ra, Kim Myung-Soo and Choi Jae-Sung are the highlights, but still no really BAD acting, with the possible exception of Lee Chae-Young (she's inexperienced, though).

Big issue is if you care about history or not. In case you don't, it's a perfectly fine show, if you do.... mama. Historical research is a mess (Khitan look like characters from a Warcraft game, and the armors... oh boy), and the whole "Empress Cheonchu is Korea's Jean D'Arc" is such asinine idiocy that I refuse to believe Son Young-Mok is writing this. Empress Cheonchu never, ever showed up on the battlefield (even kings didn't at the time), and if she ever did anything for Goryeo's history, it was in a passive, avoid troubles on the way style (and yes, I know the Goryeosa is full of lies made up by the early Joseon court, but this just reverses the problem by aggrandizing her achievements). They're trying to make her a heroine, and I only see shallow hunger for ajumma-dominated ratings in that. Hopefully it's just the big bombastic rush at the beginning to make an impression, because "girl power" in Goryeo, unless it's the Princess Noguk kind (proxy power and indirect influence), is always hopelessly anachronistic.

So... it's BS, but generally good looking, well acted and produced BS. Better than anything else airing at the moment, I guess.

Don't think we (WithS2) are subtitling it unless it suddenly turns great (too long, and you never know these days, even with talented people behind the camera), but I guess someone will eventually pick up the KBS World eps and upload them.

Guest avonmarissa

I just saw the first episode and I am a tad bit disappointed after reading about the historical inaccuracy of the lead character, the Empress. I like sageuks a lot and prefer them with a heavy dose of historical accuracy, but one can't expect too much these days of producers trying to garner ratings instead of quality work.

Guest yyhanis08

I've seen the first episode but lost some of the essence in historical data, but still going to watch this I want to see Shin ae . Alshin 4ever

Guest Zombie

Geez, this drama must be interesting to garner such high rating for epi 1, having solid team of credible casts.

Threadmistress here never mentioned how many epi this is?

Geez, this drama must be interesting to garner such high rating for epi 1, having solid team of credible casts.

I think it'll have 50 episodes or more.

Empress Cheon Chu DramaWiki page say it'll have 60+ episodes.

Guest huangsy

no confirmed number, so I didnt want to anyhow post a number, even at the KBS World site, the number of ep info is blank

1229674717_The%20Iron%20Empress.jpg

2009010409130637594_111214_1.jpg

2009010409130637594_111214_0.jpg

2009010411242574210_130308_0.jpg

20090104093522227g6_095505_0.jpg

20090104082439322e7_082811_0.jpg

Guest sayroo

how nice! a 20% on it's first AIRING?

i hope the drama wouldn't be like DAE JO YEONG & DAE WANG SEJONG!

which was the first episodes were great but falls on the last parts.

i'm glad that KBS WORLD will be airing it by JANUARY 17. ^^

and 아나키스트, your REVIEW as always is ROCKING! haha! ^^

Archived