[drama 2009] The Iron Empress / Empress Cheon Chu 천추태후

Guest huangsy

Guest Pyoungsang

thanks for the clarification. So princess chun chu's brother is the King Seojong... that would make sense. But then why was her brother so mad when she got married to the king? because the king was supposedly crazy?

Cheon Chu brother becomes King Seongjong... not Seojong. Yes, her brother became mad that his two younger sister got married to King because he thinks the King is a terrible and a heartless person but he doesn't realize that he is becoming a even more heartless person later. He actually becomes even more despondent when Soo (the young Cheon Chu) becomes pregnant with the King's son because that will make his ambition to become the King more difficult. The king is crazy but that's due to his past trauma and unexpectedly falls in love with Soo and vise versa. It was really touching when he said to Soo, "The baby smiled at me... the crown prince smiled at me" with such happiness and joy. I think the only time he was happy in his life was when he was with Soo after the baby was born. That's kind of interesting because her grandmother sent both her and her younger sister because she said Soo would never receive the King's love because she was too much like the late queen (who the king killed); she liked to ride horses and shoot bows. She thought only her younger sister would receive the king's love but when Soo tried to protect her younger sister from the King, she actually ended up getting pregnant and soften the king and became happy with the king.

It is interesting the interplay between the grandmother and Wang Chi (later Seongjong) because they were both vicious in a different ways. Grandmother wanted revenge against the Shilla faction by gaining the throne... it didn't seem to matter who, really. Wang Chi is a passive coward who is vicious by default. He doesn't want to take the responsibility for terrible things that he does because says to himself that it's for the good of Goryeo ... (and really his ambition of what he wanted to do with the country.) Unfortunately, though he went against the old man advisor (forget his name now) to kill both Soo and her son but agreed to separate the two because he was told that they are a grave threat to his ambition. This was done because the old man said that he got a feeling from Soo that was very reminiscent of Taejo Wang Geon... something that he said should not be possible from a woman's body and he felt that the infant prince should not have her influence. I think this only ends up aggravating a powerful persona of Soo... instead, he could have maintained a good relationship with her and had her help me but in truth, he was very scare of Soo. Even though he had promised Soo that she could could see the baby every three month, he never fulfilled his promise. He is a weak and terrible king... he is willingly submitting to Song Dynasty and even changes his title from "Your Majesty" to "Your Highness".... basically a downgrade from an Emperor to a King. Instead of stand strong like Taejo Wang Geon, he preferred to stoop low and hope that no one wanted to step on him... because he was so afraid of disturbance in the kingdom.

I gotta to say I'm really loving this show so far. It's pace briskly and great writing so far. Top notch performance, too, even from the younger cast.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest avonmarissa

He is a weak and terrible king... he is willingly submitting to Song Dynasty and even changes his title from "Your Majesty" to "Your Highness".... basically a downgrade from an Emperor to a King. Instead of stand strong like Taejo Wang Geon, he preferred to stoop low and hope that no one wanted to step on him... because he was so afraid of disturbance in the kingdom.

Ahh...so that's what happened because I was wondering why the title of the King changes from Pye-ha to Jeon-ha. It is evident that Wang Chi had been harboring dreams of being the King for a long time. The look on his face when he heard his sister had given birth to a "tae-ja" was classic, lol.

Guest Happy_Day

I understand how and why Chun Chu fell for the King too. Even though he is a bit crazed, but he's not really a bad guy. He just has alot of emotional scars. Despite the fact that he has a very hot temper, but he's also really cute and considerate of Chun Chu. I'm really curious about one thing. Has he ever slept with the younger sister? It didn't seem like it, but they didn't really focus on her that much, so it's kind of hard to tell.

I really like the King with the young Chun Chu. They were actually really good together. Very surprising considering a huge age difference. I hope that they will pair up again in the future. I really like the Young Chun Chu. I think that she has a huge potential to be a big star. She act with such authority in her tone, expressions and body language that even alot of experience actors lacked in.

I hope to see more of her work in the future. I definitely want to see her pair up with Kim Bum and the King.

Thanks for your opinion! I guess ChunChu really saw through the king, and recognized his decent personality. I just found it surprising because it was so sudden and didn't think it was in character for her strong personality. He probably has slept with the little sister, it wouldn't be realistic if he didn't..

Thanks for your opinion! I guess ChunChu really saw through the king, and recognized his decent personality. I just found it surprising because it was so sudden and didn't think it was in character for her strong personality. He probably has slept with the little sister, it wouldn't be realistic if he didn't..

I think she softened towards him when he was gentle with her during her pregnancy. It was the first time you see him so gentle and caring to a concubine. You're right he probably did slept with the younger sister, but he's very distant from her. He doesn't seem to care too much for her. Which is good for her, because she already likes another guy. She wouldn't want his attention anyway.

I think she softened towards him when he was gentle with her during her pregnancy. It was the first time you see him so gentle and caring to a concubine. You're right he probably did slept with the younger sister, but he's very distant from her. He doesn't seem to care too much for her. Which is good for her, because she already likes another guy. She wouldn't want his attention anyway.

So the younger sister is already a concubine? I thought she like some other guy... conlude from seeing a pics of Shine Ae and an actor

Guest nysophia_x_ii

i agree with you. she softened to him, first because he treated her so well after she became pregnant, saying things like, "just tell me what you want to eat, i'll look all over this world if i have to" or like, "anything you dont want me to do, i won't do." she was very touched by him. And I think she began to love him to, since he was so sweet to her. she also began to see the pain he went through, and understand him as a person. too bad he died so early -_-

:.sigh.: no more kim so eun either :tears:

i agree with you. she softened to him, first because he treated her so well after she became pregnant, saying things like, "just tell me what you want to eat, i'll look all over this world if i have to" or like, "anything you dont want me to do, i won't do." she was very touched by him. And I think she began to love him to, since he was so sweet to her. she also began to see the pain he went through, and understand him as a person. too bad he died so early -_-

:.sigh.: no more kim so eun either :tears:

I know :(. That really sucks because she did an excellent job. Her story with the King is so short.

Guest babymarzy07

just wondering, i watch this on KBS World... but we havent reached the part where Chun Chu will give birth..

so what happens to the Baby later on? will he live and know the mom?

Or yet to be seen? How will Chun Chu knw Kim Seok Hoon's character?

Guest Pyoungsang

Eewww. I keeping think he was too occupied with Soo to bother the little sister.

SOFTSUBS FOR THIS DRAMA WOULD BE AVAILABLE ASAP!

i PROMISE! ^^

I was just checking on the status of the subs and sure enough, there's your post.

Even though we're anxious to watch it with subs, don't feel too much pressure.

I know how time consuming it can be.

I've tried to create subs in my own language once (just for my own use) and had to give up after 2 episodes.

actually im puzzled abt one point..

why was Hwang Bo Soo able to be married to King Gyeongjong?

arent they like blood-related cousins, since they share the same grandfather(Emperor Taejo)?

i mean, granted she took the surname of Hwang Bo(after her grandmother) instead... but she is still related to the king right...

Guest Pyoungsang

actually im puzzled abt one point..

why was Hwang Bo Soo able to be married to King Gyeongjong?

arent they like blood-related cousins, since they share the same grandfather(Emperor Taejo)?

i mean, granted she took the surname of Hwang Bo(after her grandmother) instead... but she is still related to the king right...

Back in those days, it was acceptable for royalties to marry blood-kins. You know, keep the crown in the family. Come to think of it, it was still true in Europe in 20th century (though not first or second cousins) and that caused a lot of royalties in Europe to have problems with hereditary disease due to inbreeding. Hemophilia (blood unable to clot) is not uncommon amongst members of Europe royal families. Although that could have been another reason for Soo and Seol's initial repulsion at the thought of marrying Gyeongjong, their cousin. Then again, Soo seemed to have gotten over that easily enough.

Article about hemophilia in European royalty

Wonderful episodes this weekend! Now I understand why the Queen inspires such loyalty and devotion. The actress is young but gives a top-notch performance.

Didn't know they had lion dance back then. When I visited HK a few years ago, I was given the impression the lion dance was something fairly new. Or maybe I misunderstood :tongue2:

Archived