[Drama 2009 Movie 2010] IRIS 아이리스

rubie

October 19, 2009

Lee Byung-heon Stands Out in 'IRIS'

iris19.jpg

The new KBS2 drama “IRIS” has gotten off to a good start with its first episode on October 14 recording viewer ratings of 19.3 percent, topping the viewing chart among shows in the same time slot.

A big-budget action thriller--rare for a TV drama--with production costs of some 20 million won, the drama boasts the star-studded cast of Lee Byung-heon, Kim Tae-hee, Kim Seung-woo, Kim So-yeon, Kim Young-chul, Jeong Jun-ho and T.O.P, a member of the idol boy band Big Bang. In particular, Lee, who is returning to the small screen after a six-year hiatus, is credited with the show's good start.

Lee plays Kim Hyun-jun, a top secret agent at the National Security Service who later is put in danger due to an identified terrorist group called “IRIS.” He already showed an impressive performance in the first episode, which only focused on the introduction of the characters and overall storyline in a juxtaposition of present and past events. Good harmony with Kim Young-chul, who also appeared together with Lee in the film “A Bittersweet Life,” was particularly impressive.

Lee was praised for showing mesmerizing charm. He displayed various sides of himself and charmed viewers with both manly seriousness and childlike genuineness.

Viewers said on the drama board, “The drama was not novel at all. It was just like one of a series of familiar Hollywood blockbusters, but I watched it only to see Lee,” “Lee once again proved his charms and capabilities as an actor. He was the only reason I watched the drama,” “Lee was breathing life into the drama,” and “Lee kept me on edge throughout the show.”

Meanwhile, there were mixed responses to the drama. Some said it successfully combined serious and comic elements, making it entertaining enough, while others criticized it for being nothing more than a banal blockbuster.

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi - KBS Global

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ching22194

Just finished watching episode 1. All i can say is that this drama is really good!.

fast paced, funny, action packed and intelligent drama. Brilliant acting by the actors;

pretty and good looking which makes viewing more entertaining.

Haven't seen much KTH's drama but her character reminds me of her other drama - Forbidden Love.

I have such a high hope for this one, for sure it will toped the ratings.

Thanks to the posting by deka_if at EverythingLBH thread

one of 2 (or maybe more) not-so-optimistic IRIS reviews coming up :mellow:

October 19,2009

Passionate Kissing Scene in 'IRIS' Steals Spotlight

[TV Report] The kissing scene between two top stars--Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee--in the TV drama "Iris" made headlines shortly after the drama went on the air, recording viewer ratings of over 20 percent.

In the October 15 episode, Hyun-joon (Lee Byung-hun) and Sa-woo (Chung Jun-ho) were scouted as spy agents for the top national intelligence service. After undergoing a harsh testing process, the pair learned about the agency only after the tests were over. But they were displeased to realize that the whole process was carried out without informing them in advance whatsoever.

Hyun-joon, who fell in love with Seung-hee (Kim Tae-hee) at first sight, was more than just outraged; he felt betrayed. He was deeply disappointed to learn that Seung-hee had approached him in order to bring him to her agency.

But the last thing he would do was give up. He deliberately showed interest in her, and during their first dinner together he lured her to a spot where no surveillance cameras were installed and demanded that she apologize. But what he really wanted was not an apology but to know what Seung-hee had on her mind.

However, Seung-hee refused to apologize and only said that Hyun-joon behaved in a macho manner in order to conceal his painful past. She was apparently displeased with his pretentious behavior. But her remark only further aggravated Hyun-joon, and he ended up kissing Seung-hee while she was making her eloquent speech.

Startled, Seung-hee slapped Hyun-joon but it was of little help in stopping Hyun-jun. She finally gave in and accepted his kiss. Such passionate kissing scenes are hard to see on small-screen shows. The kiss will likely add passion to the relationship between the two characters and become the reason behind Sa-woo's betrayal.

Since its premiere on October 14, "Iris" recorded viewer ratings of over 20 percent, beating its rivals airing during the same time slot on other TV channels. The only TV drama to post viewer ratings of over 20 percent in the last year was "Again, My Love," which ended in April.

But unfortunately the background music of "Iris" doesn't seem to match the "blockbuster" status of the drama, and the same could be said of its somewhat weak storyline.

Broadcast Internet Media "Guide & Review" - "TV Report"

Source and press release: http://tvreport.co.kr <Copyright ⓒ PIMedia TV Report>

By TV Report l Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi l KBS Global

'But unfortunately the background music of "IRIS" doesn't seem to match the "blockbuster" status of the drama, and the same could be said of its somewhat weak storyline'.

Maybe I'm missing something .. or is the KBS-Taewon squabble still on.. :huh:

Of course, nothing is ever perfect but it's only the first 2 episodes from the series. Even after the high ratings for IRIS on KBS2, it's still seen as something unstable?

What makes the background music more fitting? What is a credible blockbuster drama, anyway?

Another non-encouraging 50-50 review on IRIS. :huh:

October 19, 2009

[REVIEW] KBS TV series "IRIS"

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@10asia.co.kr기사 폰트확대

It is cliche trying to create a melodrama with two lead actors who kiss each other after falling in love at first sight under no particular logic. And an action drama could easily be said it was made only for the action in itself if the actor were to figure out where the acts of terrorism are aimed at through pure instinct. But what if actor Lee Byung-hun and actress Kim Tae-hee were the kissers? And the action mixes a decent amount of satellite technology in its fighting and pursuit scenes, and sharpshooting with guarding?

The second episode of KBS TV series "Iris" clearly revealed what the drama was shooting at. Not long into the start of the second episode, Kim Hyun-joon (played by Lee) and Jin Sa-woo (Jung Jun-ho) become official secret agents. Then two-thirds in, they stop a presidential candidate from getting killed by a sniper. And in the meantime, love sparks go off between Kim and Choi Seung-hee (played by Kim Tae-hee). The fast pace conceals the triteness of the story and strongly eye-catching scenes fill in the holes. The top stars continuously kiss or do action scenes where the pursuit for a terrorist will cover all of downtown Seoul. Too add on, alternating close-up and full shots of Kim and Choi during even their shortest conversations give the scene a TV commercial-like feeling. Who cares if a sniper is donning a suit in a club which has rustic graffiti on the wall when that killer is boy band Big Bang member TOP.

"Iris" whips through its cliche storyline as if protecting itself rather than trying to forcefully come up with an explanation for its trite storyline. It instead also approaches the audience with the appeal that it contains "elements not easily seen in dramas" by doing its best to maximize its strengths. "Iris" might not be the TV version of film "Swiri" or "Bourne Ultimatum" but rather the TV version of hit summer disaster film "Haeundae". The drama may be conventional and loosely-structured in parts but it contains many top actors and attractive scenes. Of course, "Iris" cannot sustain itself in such a way till the end. It will need a real story for its 'mission' after it finishes securing popularity with its typical storyline. Does this drama, so far seemingly moving forward with its plain plot as if acknowledging its plainness, have a plan in mind?

Senior Reporter : Kang Myoung-Seok two@10asia.co.kr l Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> lhttp://www.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm?sec=ent7&idxno=2009101919560932008

Guest sakura_dubai

i saw the first two episodes and I should say that it's good.

I like how lee is acting, he is really a good actor and I admire him. Regardless to his disappearance from the small screen for a while, he came back better than he used to be. Super Cool~

But, other than Lee, I don't see anything good about the drama. Sorry to say this and no offend, but it looks and sounds like any other drama. I've seen enough of this, and I didn't get attached to it at all except Lee's moments. But overall is just simple, I've seen more complicated, more exciting ones.

I can tell that ppl are getting over excited for TOP's appearance in this drama, but i wasn't that excited myself. He didn't look any special to me. He is just new actor.

Lee has proven that he is a king of acting - Really.

Wish him all the best :) and Hope this drama goes well ^^

Oh gosh, just watched the IRIS interview on entertainment weekly (KBS World!) and the interaction between the cast members was beyond cute!

I was wondering if anyone has the full clip for dld or on youtube? I kinda missed like the front part of it.

Oh gosh, just watched the IRIS interview on entertainment weekly (KBS World!) and the interaction between the cast members was beyond cute!

I was wondering if anyone has the full clip for dld or on youtube? I kinda missed like the front part of it.

Hi elaiine, do you know which interveiw the clip referred to.. date, etc.. since IRIS had a number of press events held prior to the airing. Or better still tell us a bit about the clip -- any particular feature so that someone can direct to the right clip. There have been many posted around, especially shared on youtube as well.

You can also check out the first post of this thread if the KBS link / youtube clip are listed down and let us know.

Guest blade7520

HELP!

When I tried to use the subtitles for episode 2, I keep seeing additional comments even when the characters aren't saying anything. I think they were added by the translators (since I used to see similar comments on vikii all the time at the top) but how do you delete them/turn them off? It's sooooo annoying! I keep think that my subs are out of sync, but really it's just stupid commentary. It's confusing as hell and totally ruins the show. Can someone please tell me how to get rid of it? (btw, I tried editing it in subtitleworkshop and notepad but the commentary didn't show up Oo)

Please pm me cause I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to be able to find your reply later. Thanks in advance!

(p.s. am I the only one who has this problem? I tried opening the video in gom player, km player, wmc, and vlc player but the commentary was there in every single one of them...)

HELP!

When I tried to use the subtitles for episode 2, I keep seeing additional comments ....It's sooooo annoying! I keep think that my subs are out of sync, but really it's just stupid commentary.....I tried editing it in subtitleworkshop and notepad but the commentary didn't show up Oo)...

and...

I keep think that my subs are out of sync,

The subs are out of sync with the HDTV.XviD.Ental files. There are also many overlapping subs but that's an easy fix in Subtitle Workshop. Timing... a bit more tedious. My suggestion... fix them as best you can for now, then get the S2 subs when they come out.

In the meantime, to remove lines highlight the subtitle line you want to remove, then choose "remove selected" from the "Edit" menu. That will delete the line and timing sequence. You can search for ( or [ in Subtitle Workshop. Those seem to be the characters that indicate extraneous or untranslated text.

This drama is definitely a must watch!! It's really really good! TOP fits the role he looks so evil yet HOT in a way LOL! So does Lee Byung Hyun waaah!! It's nice to see they are getting higher ratings :D I can't wait for next episode!

Guest ching22194

The second episode ishot..and its far from boring.

i just don't get it why they don't like the kissing part i thought

the romance between LBH and KTH plays a major role on the plot line.

and i must say the music is really good. i feel like i'm watching Alias or Prison Break.

i'm watching in mysoju and i get annoyed with the comments, the text are too big,

that i can help but look at it. And i can say they are crazy about TOP, i wonder why..

Archived