[Drama 2009 Movie 2010] IRIS 아이리스

rubie

JOFC has an announcement yesterday about the new drama. As soon as the details are released, fans would be informed.

http://byunghun.excite.co.jp/info/index.php?id=411

Just my thought :P

If ??? BH is co-producing the drama, could it be he has a say in choosing the cast? :unsure:

He might have a say in it.. or more like a suggestion of names, as he did for 'Once in a Summer' when he suggested actress Soo Ae. :rolleyes:

When I saw this picture, I thought that the lead actress is cast.....

http://news.korea.com/data_db/reviewstar/2...80418190156.jpg

http://news.korea.com/journal/read.asp?cp=...mp;dt=&pg=1

^ Lee Byung-hun - Kim Ji-soo return to television

Actress Kim Ji-soo returns to TV with KBS 2TV drama "Woman Of The Sun" which is scheduled to start late May, her last TV appearance was MBC drama "Heroic Age" from 3 years ago.

I was like :blink: .. starting to get excited if it was Kim Ji Soo for IRIS (such beautiful actress!) but yeah.. KJS has her own series as well.

As for director Kang, have you seen Shiri?

I've seen Shiri once but it was dubbed in Mandarin for a tv screening some years ago and at the time we havent been fully hit by the Korean wave. But it was really a fast-paced action movie with SKH, Han Suk Gyu and Kim Yun Jin, right?

Wait.. Dir. Kang also directed Shiri? :sweatingbullets: I got to read all the infos again.

My dearie rubie, you must have been in "cloud 9" eversince the news annoucement of LBH comeback. :lol:

Indeed I am also excited abt it, and if it is an adaptation of Shri, it will be an exciting drama to look forward to...hopefully it will not be in the same fate as AirCity or Lobbyist. :phew:

However, knowing the style of LBH , he will always influence the PD & writer if not up to his expectation.

I am also hoping that they will select a more compatible female lead for LBH, equal to his superb class of acting and age, not one with pretty face and half his age.

Looks like everyone here is looking forward to seeing LBH on TV screen again. :lol:

Zombie!!!! Zombie!!! Where have you been! :w00t:

Hahaa.. I'm still floating around and feeling lightheaded. LOL. I sure agree with your point of view especially. LBH is known to give his input & ideas on various production he's in when he feels something should be amended, etc.. No matter what, he will make sure he feels comfortable and acting believable in the scenes. And this being something he's co-producing, he'll definitely make sure that all is good... particularly script-wise.

Finally.. we're able to watch & discuss about a LBH series like we've always hoped for. Good to see you!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kdramafanusa

I've seen Shiri once but it was dubbed in Mandarin for a tv screening some years ago and at the time we havent been fully hit by the Korean wave. But it was really a fast-paced action movie with SKH, Han Suk Gyu and Kim Yun Jin, right?

Wait.. Dir. Kang also directed Shiri? :sweatingbullets: I got to read all the infos again.

Director Kang directed & wrote the screenplay for Shiri. You are right about the cast. :)

I will post his filmography in a few minutes.

Kim Ji Soo is very beautiful....

Anyone here watched Shiri (the movie) yet? or maybe planning to watch it? :)

as this drama might be based or inspired by that movie, I'm definitely interested and will watch it asap. lol..

and oh, I was reading around some ppl's comments about LBH's comeback drama.... and came upon an interesting comment...

that Iris is SHG's English name.... hee... coincidental? perhaps~ wink... keke...

sorry, out of topic ;p

Guest kdramafanusa

* Kang Je-kyu *

DOB: November 27, 1962

FIELD: Writer, Director, Producer/Planner, Cinematography

FILMOGRAPHIES

Taegukgi ( Taegukgi Hwinallimyeo ) (2004)

Blue (Beulru) (2003)

Kiss Me Much (2001)

The Legend of Gingko (Dan-Jeok-Bi-Yeon-Su) (2000)

Swiri (Swili) (1998)

Lament (Jisangmanga/) (1997)

The Ginko Bed (Eunhaengnamu chimdae) (1995)

The rules of the game (Ge-im-ui(Game-ui) beobchig) (1994)

Rosy Days (Jangmi-ui nanal) (1994)

Who Saw The Dragon's Toenail? (Nuga yong-ui baltob-eul bo-richard simmons-neun-ga) (1991)

Let's Look At the Sky Sometimes (Geulae gakkeum haneul-eul boja) (1990)

One-winged Angel (Hanjjoknalgae-ui cheonsa) (1987)

Do-hwa (Dyohwa) (1987)

Fire Dance (Bulchum) (1985)

The Sorcerer (Hwalaeng-i) (1985)

Assistant Director

One-winged Angel (Hanjjoknalgae-ui cheonsa) (1987)

Do-hwa (Dyohwa) (1987)

Fire Dance (Bulchum) (1985)

The Sorcerer (Hwalaeng-i) (1985)

Director

Swiri (Swili) (1998)

Planner

Kiss Me Much (2001)

The Legend of Gingko (Dan-Jeok-Bi-Yeon-Su) (2000)

Swiri (Swili)(1998)

Producer

The Legend of Gingko(Dan-Jeok-Bi-Yeon-Su) (2000)

Screenplay

Blue (Beulru) (2003)

Swiri (Swili) (1998)

The rules of the game (Ge-im-ui(Game-ui) beobchig) (1994)

Rosy Days (Jangmi-ui nanal) (1994)

Who Saw The Dragon's Toenail? (Nuga yong-ui baltob-eul bo-richard simmons-neun-ga) (1991)

Let's Look At the Sky Sometimes (Geulae gakkeum haneul-eul boja) (1990)

Source: KMDB

Guest kdramafanusa

*** ALL-TIME BOX OFFICE RECORDS [DOMESTIC FILMS] ***

RANK / FILM / TICKETS SOLD / YEAR

1. The Host - 13,019,740 (2006)

- Song Kang-ho, Byeon Hee-bong, Park Hae-il, Bae Doo-na, Ko Ah-seong

2. The King And The Clown - 12,302,831 (2005)

- Kam Woo-seong, Jeong Jin-young, Kang Seong-yeon, Lee Joon-ki, Jang Hang-seon

3. Taegukgi - 11,746,135 (2004)

- Jang Dong-gun, Won Bin, Lee Eun-joo, Kong Hyeong-jin, Jang Min-ho

4. Silmido - 11,074,000 (2003)

- Seol Kyeong-gu, Ahn Seong-ki, Heo Joon-ho, Jeong Jae-young, Im Won-hee

5. D-War - 8,420,000 (2007)

- Jason Behr, Amanda Brooks, Rober Forster, Aimee Garcia, Chris Mulkey

6. Friend - 8,134,500 (2001)

- Yoo Oh-seong, Jang Dong-gun, Seo Tae-hwa, Jeong Woon-taek, Kim Bo-kyeong

7. Welcome To Dongmakgol - 8,008,622 (2005)

- Shin Ha-gyoon, Jeong Jae-young, Kang Hye-jeong, Seo Jae-kyeong, Im Ha-ryong

8. May 18 - 7,280,000 (2007)

- Kim Sang-kyeong, Ahn Seong-ki, Lee Yo-won, Lee Joon-ki, Park Cheol-min

9. Tazza: The High Rollers (aka The War Of Flower) - 6,847,777 (2006)

- Jo Seung-woo, Kim Hye-soo, Baek Yoon-sik, Yoo Hae-jin, Kim Eung-soo

10. 200 Pounds Beauty - 6,619,498 (2006)

- Kim Ah-joong, Joo Jin-mo, Seong Dong-il, Kim Hyeon-sook, Im Hyeon-shik

11. Shiri - 6,210,000 (1999)

- Han Seok-kyu, Choi Min-sik, Kim Yoon-jin, Song Kang-ho, Yoon Joo-sang

12. My Boss, My Teacher - 6,105,431 (2006)

- Jeong Joon-ho, Kim Sang-joong, Jeong Woong-in, Jeong Woon-taek, Kang Seong-pil

13. JSA (Joint Security Area) - 5,830,000 (2000)

- Lee Young-ae, Lee Byeong-heon, Song Kang-ho, Kim Tae-woo, Sin Ga-gyoon

14. Marrying The Mafia 2 - 5,635,266 (2005)

- Shin Hyeon-joon, Kim Won-hee, Kim Soo-mi, Tak Jae-hoon, Kong Hyeong-jin

15. Marrying The Mafia - 5,021,001 (2002)

- Jeong Joon-ho, Kim Jeong-eun, Yoo Dong-geun, Seong Ji-roo, Park Sang-wuk

16. Marathon - 5,148,022 (2005)

- Jo Seung-woo, Kim Mi-sook, Lee Ki-young, Ahn Nae-sang, Kim Seon-jae

17. Memories Of Murder - 5,101,645 (2003)

- Song Kang-ho, Kim Sang-kyeong, Kim Roi-ra, Song Jae-ho, Byeon Hee-bong

Original Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_Korea (Data from Koreanfilm.org, Film 2.0)

Anyone here watched Shiri (the movie) yet? or maybe planning to watch it? :)

as this drama might be based or inspired by that movie, I'm definitely interested and will watch it asap. lol..

it was one of my first few kmovie .it had such a reputation because of its influence on box office history in those days and first kind of such mega production hollywood styled , also it touches on the north-south korea tension . Shiri is spelled Swiri in korea for the movie title . and it refers to a fish ..which i think you should hear it mentioned in the movie ..about how this fish .can be found in both water of south and north korea .

.the topic is..about spy activties and the cast .was of course excellent .ke it was one of the first few box offices hit of Song Kang HO and no need to say where he is now ..at the top of the movie star list of korea .now .

the movie is intense and full of suspense but take it in with consideration it is a movie from 1999. ..and towards the ending , it has such a calm yet sorrowful ending .....if you go to cheju .and they can show you the bench where the last scene is ..er which someone happen to show to me when i was in cheju ...that was a classic scene of the movie and of course that song in that scene .

. IN fact ..if i recall correctly , it is near the hotel .where All in is .filmed .

edit : okay here the location of the last scene

http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_4_2_2.jsp

FINALLY!

LBH will be coming back on small screen.

i hope this series will be well-written and will not turn into another Lobbyist and Air City.

My dearie rubie, you must have been in "cloud 9" eversince the news annoucement of LBH comeback. :lol:

Indeed I am also excited abt it, and if it is an adaptation of Shri, it will be an exciting drama to look forward to...hopefully it will not be in the same fate as AirCity or Lobbyist. :phew:

However, knowing the style of LBH , he will always influence the PD & writer if not up to his expectation.

I am also hoping that they will select a more compatible female lead for LBH, equal to his superb class of acting and age, not one with pretty face and half his age.

Looks like everyone here is looking forward to seeing LBH on TV screen again. :lol:

hello zombie!

FINALLY! LBH will be returning to small screen...

i hope the female lead of this series will be of caliber in acting as LBH and someone his age bracket.

and you know i hope my dream will come true this time... :sweatingbullets:

and oh, I was reading around some ppl's comments about LBH's comeback drama.... and came upon an interesting comment...

that Iris is SHG's English name.... hee... coincidental? perhaps~ wink... keke...

sorry, out of topic ;p

I've read that, too :mellow: .. but some people might just have too much imagination sometimes. :sweatingbullets:

I thought IRIS could probably be (or not).. the word S H I R I or S W I R I spelled in reverse.. although it could also be a codename or something depicting one of the various definition of the word itself.

Anyway.. I'm really liking the short and simple title more & more. It's so easy to remember and to write, with a good feeling to it. :blush: It's especially rare to see precise titles for Korean series these days. Many are using a mile-long description as titles or the same exact title used by previous drama series/movies. :sweatingbullets:

Guest Zombie

FINALLY! LBH will be returning to small screen...

i hope the female lead of this series will be of caliber in acting as LBH and someone his age bracket.

and you know i hope my dream will come true this time... :sweatingbullets:

Yah, let's see whom will be the CHOSUN actress for the role, hope yr dream female cast come true.

Hopefully someone recognisable for her acting...not looks...and my gut feeling is that they may just select one of those hallyu popular female stars since it is plan in priority for Japanese mass market. :phew:

Yah, let's see whom will be the CHOSUN actress for the role, hope yr dream female cast come true.

Hopefully someone recognisable for her acting...not looks...and my gut feeling is that they may just select one of those hallyu popular female stars since it is plan in priority for Japanese mass market. :phew:

yeah, i will include that in my petition.

anyway, i hope this project is final as in no postponement at all, as i have been wanting to see the most LBH act again among the Hallyu Stars.

and the funny thing is, i am liking LBH as an actor not because i have seen his dramas...actually none of his famous dramas i watched. i watched all of his movies, but was kind of disappointed with the latest he had.

if this will really push through, it would be my first-ever LBH series that i will follow and watch.

i know they may cast someone already popular in Japan, but look at BYJ...

his co-stars in his LEGEND were basically new...and he really chose actors with great talents but not famous in Japan at all....

guess, Lee Ji Ah will be the next big thing in Japan because of "Legend."

maybe IRIS will do likewise, since it will be co-produced by LBH, meaning he has the say in the casting of the series.

moreover, it seems this will be a canned series since they will start filming mid-2008 and will be broadcasted early 2009.

Guest kdramafanusa

Someone with superb acting is actress Jeon Do-yeon. :)

That thought came to my mind too. In terms of popularity, I think Choi Ji-woo is still the #1 female celeb there.

According the news articles, [iRIS] team is looking for 2 big actresses for the 2 lead female roles.

As for Legend, it was very hype not just b/c of BYJ; the cast (Park Sang-won, Choi Min-soo, Moon So-ri) & writing/directing team (Song Ji-na & Kim Jong-hak of "Eyes Of Dawn" & "Sandglass") are all big names in Korea. Lee Ji-ah was a newcomer chosen by PD Kim Jong-hak, he wanted a newcomer for the role. The team tried really hard to get top/retired actress Shim Eun-ha to return to television for the other female role, but they weren't able to. Oops, I am getting sidetracked...

Guest kdramafanusa

For fans who read other languages, these are some pretty good news articles about LBH's return:

Chinese (from this Korean article Korean)

(still looking for a longer Japanese article with more details)

If any of us here have time, please help us with the translations too.

The more info we have for IRIS for all of us here, the better. Thanks. :)

Guest lovewinter

Thanks for the update.

Glad to know LBH finally return to drama series. (can't wait to see it)

This was really a long wait for us but is worth it afterall!

Hopefully he can pair up someone we like , this way it will help the ratings!

Guest imogene_af

Oh Gawd, same writer as Air City? But he has good stuff too.

I wonder if he'll pick an actress around the same age-range as him or younger? Assuming LBH has a say on this, of course.

Shiri is one of my earlier Korean movies. It was shown here in a film festival, I enjoyed it.

Guest kdramafanusa

Stars (mentioned in this thread) we would like to see LBH with? :)

42nd BaekSang Arts Awards (2006) - Acting Winners: Best Actors/Actresses for TV (Kim Joo-hyuk, Choi Jin-shil) & Film (Lee Byung-hun, Lee Young-ae)

photo20060416213603.jpg

photo20060416214158.jpg

[images=OfficialSite]

25th Korea Choice Critics Awards (2005) - Best Actor & Actress (Jeon Do-yeon for "You Are My Sunshine")

824277707431168771.jpg565036330779451889.jpg

[images=starnews/chosun]

22nd Blue Dragon Film Awards (2001) - LBH & Kim Hye-soo

bluedragon2001_lbh_khs_1.jpg

bluedragon2001_lbh_khs_2.jpg

[images=PlanetBH0712]

beyondhollywood1uj7.jpg

Lee Byung-hun in Expensive Spy Drama Series IRIS

By Nix | April 18, 2008

I don’t normally report on these limited-episode TV shows from Asia, but this one just happens to star Lee Byung-hun, is a spy thriller set in locations around the world, including the U.S., and it was developed by Kang Je-kyu, who knows a thing or two about action movies, having helmed major blockbusters like “Taegugki” and “Shiri”. And oh yeah, did I mention it’ll cost $22 million, making it easily the most expensive South Korean drama to date? All that is true, and then some.

Variety has more on the series:

Helmed by TV producer Lee Hyung-min (”Sorry, I Love You”), the series will be lensed later this year at international locations including Russia, Japan, China and U.S. The spy actioner features four main characters, but plot details have not been divulged.

High-profile production recalls elements of the ‘Korean Wave’ era only a few years ago when the country’s TV dramas and later movies drew huge auds across the whole of Asia and were licensed at sky-high prices, especially to Japan.

------------------------------

Lee Byung-hun is one busy man, with roles as Storm Shadow in the upcoming “G.I. Joe” and the Josh Harnett starrer “I Come with the Rain”, both English-speaking movies.

If you need someone to play a cool, smooth spy, Lee Byung-hun is your guy.

byunghunlee2cm0.jpg

Source: www.beyondhollywood.com

Guest purpleZ

OMG!! Ommo Ommo, this is for real!? It's going to be the most anticipated drama of the year, 100% sure. Who can attract more publicity than the man, Lee Byung Hun??

I'm really anticipating this and really curious which female leads they're going to choose. I think veteran actress like Jeon Do Yeon would match the profile. As both LBH and JDY are internationally known. Although I hope Ha Ji Won would make a chance. As terms of chemistry, Choi Ji Woo would make a great pair with LBH. Though I didn't like her acting in Air City. I think there's no improvement in her acting. Maybe because of the poor rating. Also, the writer is from Air City? Not very convincing, since the show was quite bad. Well I hope they're gonna make a killer drama this time with LBH in it. Definitely the most charismatic, cool and charming guy on earth!

Will be watching this thread!

Archived