[Drama 2009 Movie 2010] IRIS 아이리스

rubie

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kdramafanusa

i guess from this mega production scale , SBS or MBC seem likely the ones who will take it up .but we will see ..

PD Lee Hyung-min's with KBS, I'm not sure if he still is now though.

Yup, we just have to wait & see. :)

April 18, 2008

Lee Byung-hun in Expensive Spy Drama Series IRIS

By Nix beyondhollywood.com

I don’t normally report on these limited-episode TV shows from Asia, but this one just happens to star Lee Byung-hun, is a spy thriller set in locations around the world, including the U.S., and it was developed by Kang Je-kyu, who knows a thing or two about action movies, having helmed major blockbusters like “Taegugki” and “Shiri”. And oh yeah, did I mention it’ll cost $22 million, making it easily the most expensive South Korean drama to date? All that is true, and then some.

Variety has more on the series:
Helmed by TV producer Lee Hyung-min (”Sorry, I Love You”), the series will be lensed later this year at international locations including Russia, Japan, China and U.S. The spy actioner features four main characters, but plot details have not been divulged.

High-profile production recalls elements of the ‘Korean Wave’ era only a few years ago when the country’s TV dramas and later movies drew huge auds across the whole of Asia and were licensed at sky-high prices, especially to Japan.

* Lee Byung-hun is one busy man, with roles as Storm Shadow in the upcoming “G.I. Joe” and the Josh Harnett starrer “I Come with the Rain”, both English-speaking movies. 

If you need someone to play a cool, smooth spy, Lee Byung-hun is your guy.

Lee Byung-heon Returns to TV Drama 

Source: KBS World

Korean star Lee Byung-heon is returning to TV screen in a spy thriller titled “IRIS.” Lee’s first TV drama in five years since his starring role in “All In,” “IRIS” is Korea’s first attempt at a high-tech spy thriller filled with flashy action scenes, cool cutting-edge devices, and scenic overseas locations. 

The 20 million-dollar action-packed drama is directed by Kang Je-gyu of “Taegukgi: Brotherhood of War” and Lee Hyung-min of “I’m Sorry, I Love You” and produced jointly by Taewon Entertainment, which had made the global project “Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon.”Filming will begin later this year and take place in Russia, Japan, China and the United States. The twenty-parter “IRIS” is scheduled to be aired early next year.

Lee has just wrapped up filming the French-American movie “I Come With The Rain” with Josh Hartnett and is getting ready to shoot “GI Joe.” Lee will be playing Korean ninja Storm Shadow in the action flick. The multi-national collaboration co-starring British actress Sienna Miller and American actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt alongside Lee is due for release in August 2009.

iris_site3.jpg

April 18, 2008

Lee Byung-hun to star in 'IRIS'
Show one of the most expensive Korean series

By HAN SUNHEE variety.com

Lee Byung-hun, one of the few Korean actors to be repped by a U.S. talent agency, Endeavor, will co-produce and star in one of the most expensive Korean TV series to date. Lee, who stars in Paramount Pictures' upcoming "G.I. Joe," has pacted with Taewon Entertainment and KangJeGyu Film to produce blockbuster TV series "IRIS."

Developed by "Taegukgi" director Kang Je-gyu, the $22 million skein is co-scripted by writers at KangJeGyu Film and A-Story.

Helmed by TV producer Lee Hyung-min ("Sorry, I Love You"), the series will be shot this year in the U.S., Russia, Japan and China. The spy actioner features four main characters, but the plot has not been divulged.

"IRIS" has been set up without a Korean broadcaster, and producers are expected to play nets off each other for the property. Sources at Taewon also report strong interest from Japanese TV channels due to Lee's attachment.

Lee recently wrapped Kim Ji-woon's "The Good, the Bad and the Weird" and Tran Anh Hung's "I Come With the Rain," which could be headed for Cannes if it is completed in time. 

"IRIS" is his first TV series since "All In" nearly five years ago.

May 21, 2007

Scriptwriter Choi Wan Kyu to write TV version of 'Shiri'
Source: broasia.com

Choi Wan Kyu who wrote scripts for numerous hit television series including 'Heo Jun,' 'All In,' 'Jumong' and others will be writing the script for the television of 'Shiri.'

The movie 'Shiri,' directed by Kang Je Kyu and considered the start of Korean blockbusters, will be remade into a drama series according to MK Pictures of which Director Kang Je Kyu is a member of.

Choi Wan Kyu commented on the 21st, "I will be writing the script for the drama version of 'Shiri,' and am currently preparing as the genre is different." While the production director has not yet been determined, Producer Jang Yong Woo of 'Wangcho' and 'Hotelier' is being strongly considered.

Scriptwriter Choi also says, "An NIS agent will be the main character as in the movie while the Presidential Security Service will serve as a major setting. The series will resemble the '24' in structure."

The series will be written by the group of writers of A Story, Inc. with Choi Wan Kyu as the main writer. He says, "To better structure the plot, the production must be completed prior to broadcasting so I have already started writing the scripts regardless of the broadcasting schedule which has to be set."

An MK Pictures personnel says, "Creating a television series of 'Shiri' is a subject that has been discussed since last year, and as the writers and director are almost determined it will start filming this year." The drama series version of 'Shiri' has kept Japan in mind from the planning stage. With the success of the movie 'Shiri' in Japan, it is said that the creation of a drama series was proposed from Japan.

April 18, 2008 

Lee makes triumphant return to TV 

Written by Han Sunhee Variety Asia Online

SEOUL— Lee Byung-hun (second ref: Lee), one of the few Korean actors to be repped by a U.S. talent agency – Endeavor –will co-produce and star in one of the most expensive Korean TV series to date. 

Lee, who stars in Paramount Pictures' upcoming "G.I. Joe," has pacted with Taewon Entertainment and Kang Je-Kyu Film to produce blockbuster TV Series "IRIS." Developed by "Taegugki" director Kang Je-kyu, the $22 million skein is co-scripted by writers at Kang Je-Kyu Film and Korea's top- script house A-Story. 

Helmed by TV producer Lee Hyung-min ("Sorry, I Love You"), the series will be lensed later this year at international locations including Russia, Japan, China and U.S. 

The spy actioner features four main characters, but plot details have not been divulged. High-profile production recalls elements of the 'Korean Wave' era only a few years ago when the country's TV dramas and later movies drew huge auds across the whole of Asia and were licensed at sky-high prices, especially to Japan.

"IRIS" has so far been set up without involvement of a Korean broadcaster and producers are expected to play nets off against each other for the property. 

Sources at Taewon also report strong interest from Japanese TV channels due to Lee's attachment. Lee recently wrapped two movies that could be headed for Cannes if they are completed in time, Kim Ji-woon's "The Good, the bad and the Weird" and Tran Anh Hung's "I Come With the Rain."IRIS" is his first TV series since "All in" nearly five years ago.

April 24, 2008

Lee broadens acting career 

By Yang Sung-jin (insight@heraldm.com) koreaherald.co.kr

When he was interviewed by The Korea Herald in November 2006, Lee Byung-hun expressed some doubts about whether he could make it in Hollywood. 

His skepticism, which partly reflected his measured approach in entering the world's biggest entertainment market, seems fairly overdone. A string of news items about his Hollywood stint keep coming in, and his acting career is going at a fast clip. 

In mid-March, Lee completed his first day of shooting as Storm Shadow in Paramount Pictures' action adventure "G.I. Joe," to be released in October August 2008. This week, a couple of photographs have been made public on the Web so that people can see him as one of the most popular characters in the G.I. Joe franchise. Clad in white, Lee seems primed to play a dark, complex character trained by a ninja master. 

"G.I. Joe" will mark Lee's full-fledged foray into Hollywood, a crucial development in what has already been a colorful career. Popular in Korea and Japan, Lee has long prepared to broaden his acting range and his fame. To that end, he is said to have made a serious effort to improve English proficiency. 

Lee is also expected to enhance his stature at film festivals this year. He starred in director Kim Ji-woon's latest feature, "The Good, The Bad, The Weird," and also performed in the Vietnamese filmmaker Anh Hung Tran's "I Come with the Rain." Local media reported that both films have a chance to be part of the Cannes film festival, which begins on May 14. 

"The Good, The Bad, The Weird," set in Manchuria, features a bandit, a train robber, and a bounty hunter, and, thanks to the big-name casting and a sizable production budget, it is considered one of the country's biggest film projects this year. Since it is still in post-production, however, it remains uncertain whether it will be invited to Cannes. 

"I Come with the Rain," is a multinational project in which Lee has reunited with the Japanese star Takuya Kimura. Last year, Lee played a Korean chief of detectives in "Hero," whose central character is a quirky Japanese prosecutor played by Kimura. 

On the domestic front, Lee has signed a contract with Taewon Entertainment and Kang Je-kyu Film to co-produce and star in "IRIS," a whopping $22 million Korean TV series. Leading producer Lee Hyung-min will take charge of the expensive project, and the shooting is scheduled to begin later this year.

Thanks to kdramafanusa for the translated summary from article at mydaily.co.kr

Spoiler

200805010826351116_1.jpg

L-R: Lee Dong Gun, Song Seung Hun, Han Jae Suk, Lee Byung Hun

There'll be many blockbuster dramas in the 2nd half of 2008. These large-scale dramas will film at various overseas locations.

IRIS (script: A. Story, direct: Lee Hyung-min, production: Taewon Entertainment & Kang Je-kyu) plans to start shooting in the 2nd half of this year for broadcast in the 1st half of next year. The collaboration of "I'm Sorry I Love You" PD Lee Hyung-min and actor Lee Byung-hun is gathering attention. With a production cost of 20 billion Won, its scheduled overseas filming locations include Russia, Japan, US, China, etc.

Spoiler

Replacing "Yi San" this June on MBC is "When It's At Night" (script: Kim Eun-hee & Yoon Eun-Kyung, direct: Son Hyung-suk, production: Lee Kim Production). Lee Dong-gun and Kim Sun-ah will be shooting in Japan.

Airing this May is MBC drama "Bittersweet Life" (script: Jung Ha-yun, direct: Kim Jin-min, production: Sam Hwa Networks). Oh Yun-soo and Lee Dong-wook shot their scenes in Hokkaido, Japan.

"Women Of The Sun / Sisters In Love" (script: Kim In-young, direct: Bae Kyung-soo, production: ), replacing "Three Dads And One Mom" in late May, plans to film in Hong Kong. 

"East Of Eden" (script: Na Yun-sook, direct: Kim Jin-man, production: Chorokbaem)'s planned overseas locations include Japan, China, Hong Kong, Macau and other major cities in Asia.

Historical drama "Countries Of The Wind" plans to have some filming done in China.

Guest ripgal

WOW.. this is totally unexpected! :w00t:

I can already imagine rubie going CRAZY...hehehe..

Anywayz, the premise of the drama sounds interesting.. and it comprises of drama PDs and writers that I like..

curious: has LBH ever done a drama in MBC?

he started in KBS, right?

Yup.. I think so, too.

He started fresh on KBS for awhile before signing that 100-episode contract with SBS.

Maybe this will be his first project with MBC. :unsure:

WOW.. this is totally unexpected! :w00t:

I can already imagine rubie going CRAZY...hehehe..

Anywayz, the premise of the drama sounds interesting.. and it comprises of drama PDs and writers that I like..

LOL! yupyup.. and still :wacko: walking around soompi.. in a trance.. :sweatingbullets:

:P

Guest MIAJACOB

YES, YES, YES!!! :w00t::w00t::w00t: I'm beyond thrilled!!

me too, this has got to be the best news i've heard for soooo long, i thought he would never come back but i guess dreams do come true... he is the best actor, i think sometimes under rated... : :D

^ Hello MIAJACOB, welcome to the thread & soompi.com! Your first post at IRIS. :D

---

Similar previous update posted by Hyc at page 1. Pulled the original version from Broasia.com from the News thread.

May 21, 2007

Scriptwriter Choi Wan Kyu to write TV version of 'Shiri'

2770ja0.jpg

Choi Wan Kyu who wrote scripts for numerous hit television series including 'Heo Jun,' 'All In,' 'Jumong' and others will be writing the script for the television of 'Shiri.'

The movie 'Shiri,' directed by Kang Je Kyu and considered the start of Korean blockbusters, will be remade into a drama series according to MK Pictures of which Director Kang Je Kyu is a member of.

Choi Wan Kyu commented on the 21st, "I will be writing the script for the drama version of 'Shiri,' and am currently preparing as the genre is different."

While the production director has not yet been determined, Producer Jang Yong Woo of 'Wangcho' and 'Hotelier' is being strongly considered.

Scriptwriter Choi also says, "An NIS agent will be the main character as in the movie while the Presidential Security Service will serve as a major setting. The series will resemble the '24' in structure."

The series will be written by the group of writers of A Story, Inc. with Choi Wan Kyu as the main writer.

He says, "To better structure the plot, the production must be completed prior to broadcasting so I have already started writing the scripts regardless of the broadcasting schedule which has to be set."

An MK Pictures personnel says, "Creating a television series of 'Shiri' is a subject that has been discussed since last year, and as the writers and director are almost determined it will start filming this year."

The drama series version of 'Shiri' has kept Japan in mind from the planning stage. With the success of the movie 'Shiri' in Japan, it is said that the creation of a drama series was proposed from Japan.

Source: BROASIA.com

http://www.broasia.com/lwboard/lwboard.php...pg=1&no=277

Guest sang_woo_always

WOW. this is awesome!! nice to see LBH back!! I hope this drama will be

a GREAT SUCCESS!!! and about the female lead. i'll just see who it ends

up to be. I won't get my hopes up yet. =]

* still happy that lbh is BACK!!! =]

Guest kdramafanusa

Huh.. 6 years??? I'm so bad with numbers. :sweatingbullets: At least we really have "something" to look forward to, all confirmed! LOL

And at the end of 2008.. the production will start rolling.. right.. right? :rolleyes:

Sure hope Kim Hye Soo will be one of the cast.. she hasn't been on tv for awhile as well. And unlike the previous drama discussion.. she can always be a sexy, daring spy... if she's one for it. :P

All In started showing in January 2003. :)

Yes, filming will start at the end of 2008, I think it'll be (at least) after BH finishes with all the activities for GBW & Cannes.

Although it requires a bit of patience, it's fun following a drama production from the very beginning. Just like East Of Eden, we have to wait for announcement on each cast member.

I wonder who the other leading man & 2 leading ladies will be....

Do you have the picture of Korean netizen's choice for Ocean's 11? If not, I can post it when I get home from work.

Agree with you about KHS, she will be a sexy spy for sure! JDY & HJW would be good too, I think you want to add Lee Mi-yeon to the list of BH co-stars too right? :)

LOL.. no wonder.. I'm less 1 year in my count.. I started counting from 2008 :P.. the 2009 part seems blurry... so eagerly waiting for IRIS to start. :P

I wonder who the other leading man & 2 leading ladies will be....

Do you have the picture of Korean netizen's choice for Ocean's 11? If not, I can post it when I get home from work.

Agree with you about KHS, she will be a sexy spy for sure! JDY & HJW would be good too, I think you want to add Lee Mi-yeon to the list of BH co-stars too right? :)

Yeah.. we have that Ocean 11 capture at BH's thread awhile ago.. Kim Myung Min, Kim Hye Soo, Ha Jung Woo were also part of the choices. I do like LMY-LBH in Addiction but we'll see.

Anyway.. it just hit me :sweatingbullets: .. while most think that IRIS stands for something like a codename plus the various definition Cerise posted, if we arrange the alphabets in reverse order.. I-R-I-S becomes S-I-R-I. Well, minus the H in Shiri.. or it won't make much sense. :sweatingbullets:

Maybe.. that's the connection to the original Shiri.. somehow. :unsure:

Also.. I just remembered that there was already a thread for Shiri (tv remake) last year but it got closed down as there weren't any confirmation whatsoever. The source was quoted from Dramawiki if I'm not mistaken. But Ha Ji Won was indeed listed as one of the main cast.

Maybe HJW will appear in the newly-confirmed IRIS. And I certainly wouldn't mind if WonBin would, too. :rolleyes: Both of them and LBH are currently busy filming their respective new movies till middle & later part of the year. But.. all would be free much later. Plus Kim Hye Soo. Hehee.

Guest Happy_Day

None of the cutesy actresses please, can't see LeeByunHun with any of the actresses that are really popular these days - like LeeDaHae, HanGaIn, or KimTaeHee.

How about GoHyunJung, ShimEunHa, or LeeYoungAe? Even KimYoonJin would be cool, but that would be hard because she's busy filming LOST. That would be lovely.. Someone who is suitable for his age, and someone who can actually act while also being beautiful. :)

Guest kdramafanusa

Maybe.. that's the connection to the original Shiri.. somehow. :unsure:

Also.. I just remembered that there was already a thread for Shiri (tv remake) last year but it got closed down as there weren't any confirmation whatsoever. The source was quoted from Dramawiki if I'm not mistaken. But Ha Ji Won was indeed listed as one of the main cast.

Maybe HJW will appear in the newly-confirmed IRIS. And I certainly wouldn't mind if WonBin would, too. :rolleyes: Both of them and LBH are currently busy filming their respective new movies till middle & later part of the year. But.. all would be free much later. Plus Kim Hye Soo. Hehee.

Oh wow Rubie! I didn't realize IRIS is SIRI until you mentioned it, good catch!!!

I remember that Shiri thread, KSW was also listed as one of the leading men; TY_KSW will be very happy if he & BH team up for this one!

It's reported in papers that Won Bin will be filming Mother at the end of this year as well so there might be a time conflict, plus, he seems very determined to be in movies only. You know very well which actor I would like to see with BH on screen right? Shhhhh. :) Third time is always a charm. Heheee. Just wishful thinking on my part though since he'll be busy with his own TV series too.

As for HJW, the schedule is still being worked out for her upcoming movie with Hwang Jung-min (he's not 100% set yet). Not sure if she'll be available by then.

None of the cutesy actresses please, can't see LeeByunHun with any of the actresses that are really popular these days - like LeeDaHae, HanGaIn, or KimTaeHee.

How about GoHyunJung, ShimEunHa, or LeeYoungAe? Even KimYoonJin would be cool, but that would be hard because she's busy filming LOST. That would be lovely.. Someone who is suitable for his age, and someone who can actually act while also being beautiful. :)

Agree about young/popular actresses nowadays being paired with BH, big NAY for me too.

If IRIS team's able to convince ShimEunHa to return to televison, it will be huge! As for GoHyunJung, not sure if she'll appear in another drama right after Daemul.

Oh wow Rubie! I didn't realize IRIS is SIRI until you mentioned it, good catch!!!

LOL. It's just a hunch.. my mind is still thinking about everything that happened yesterday.. from the break of news till now, 4 pages of IRIS. :blush:

IRIS - - - > SHIRI - - -> looks mighty familiar at first glance.. with similar alphabets. Maybe, the production didn't want it to be too 'tied down' with the original movie version but still keeps the connection.

It's reported in papers that Won Bin will be filming Mother at the end of this year as well so there might be a time conflict, plus, he seems very determined to be in movies only. You know very well which actor I would like to see with BH on screen right? Shhhhh. :) Third time is always a charm. Heheee. Just wishful thinking on my part though since he'll be busy with his own TV series too.

As for HJW, the schedule is still being worked out for her upcoming movie with Hwang Jung-min (he's not 100% set yet). Not sure if she'll be available by then.

aWww.. still ... it's good to hope.. for HJW and WB (still hoping ^^). Who knows.. something might just happen when the time comes. :rolleyes:

Second half of 2008 will be so exciting with airing of new series and IRIS to start rolling. Btw.. it's not fixed on anything, right.. nothing on filming dates and cast yet.. except for BH's confirmation. I think Ching mentioned last night at LBH thread that the details will be revealed later by his management.

SEH would probably be too busy with her two young daughters.. :unsure:

Guest kdramafanusa

Second half of 2008 will be so exciting with airing of new series and IRIS to start rolling. Btw.. it's not fixed on anything, right.. nothing on filming dates and cast yet.. except for BH's confirmation.

I read that filming will begin in July.

200804190190.jpg

^ Lee Byung-hun & director Kang Je-kyu [image=donga]

http://www.donga.com/fbin/output?f=total&a...190190&df=7

Lee Byung-hun, along with actor Shin Hyun-joon, appeared in director Kang's work before. Kang wrote the screenplay of 1997 movie "Lament" (aka Elegy of the Earth).

M0020266_97k0501[W636-].jpg

http://www.cine21.com/Movies/Mov_Movie/mov...tail.php?id=108

Let me read the details more carefully before posting... :)

Second half of 2008 will be so exciting with airing of new series and IRIS to start rolling. Btw.. it's not fixed on anything, right.. nothing on filming dates and cast yet.. except for BH's confirmation. I think Ching mentioned last night at LBH thread that the details will be revealed later by his management.

SEH would probably be too busy with her two young daughters.. :unsure:

JOFC has an announcement yesterday about the new drama. As soon as the details are released, fans would be informed.

http://byunghun.excite.co.jp/info/index.php?id=411

Just my thought :P

If ??? BH is co-producing the drama, could it be he has a say in choosing the cast? :unsure:

Guest kdramafanusa

When I saw this picture, I thought that the lead actress is cast.....

20080418190156.jpg

http://news.korea.com/journal/read.asp?cp=...mp;dt=&pg=1

^ Lee Byung-hun - Kim Ji-soo return to television

Actress Kim Ji-soo returns to TV with KBS 2TV drama "Woman Of The Sun" which is scheduled to start late May, her last TV appearance was MBC drama "Heroic Age" from 3 years ago.

July is too soon... for BH... I think.. :sweatingbullets: he's been working non-stop... :sweatingbullets:

but I guess.. it's probably alright for him.. maybe they'll start with the overseas location or something.. :blush:

I'm not sure either, the article said July.

As for director Kang, have you seen Shiri?

Guest Zombie

LOL! Exactly! I need someone to pinch me :P .. am I still dreaming? :lol:

So utterly unexpected as chula said.. we thought he'll be in more movies.. we've been hoping for so long.. already thinking he'll probably consider the small screen sometime in 2009 or even later.. but this is so cool. The script must have really 'pulled' him in.. to be co-producing it as well. Major, major anticipation but it'll be something getting his full attention.. really hope everything works out well for everyone.

Finally.. after 5 years and 7 movies.. :blush:

My dearie rubie, you must have been in "cloud 9" eversince the news annoucement of LBH comeback. :lol:

Indeed I am also excited abt it, and if it is an adaptation of Shri, it will be an exciting drama to look forward to...hopefully it will not be in the same fate as AirCity or Lobbyist. :phew:

However, knowing the style of LBH , he will always influence the PD & writer if not up to his expectation.

I am also hoping that they will select a more compatible female lead for LBH, equal to his superb class of acting and age, not one with pretty face and half his age.

Looks like everyone here is looking forward to seeing LBH on TV screen again. :lol:

Archived