12-08-2009

Novelist Accuses KBS TV Drama 'Iris' of Plagiarism

091208_p18_iris.jpg

KBS TV’s espionage blockbuster

drama “Iris” has been embroiled in

allegations raised by novelist Park

Chul-ju who claimed the drama

scenario writer copied his novel.

Novelist Park Chul-ju has staged a legal battle against the producer of KBS TV's espionage drama, "Iris," claiming the blockbuster drama's scenario was copied from his novel.

In a suit filed with a Seoul court, Park, 42, accused the drama's writer of having plagiarized his novel "The Sun Never Rises on Mt. Fuji," saying 162 parts, including characters and key contents, are strikingly similar with his novel.

"Because of the plagiarism, I have sustained psychological damage and my plan to produce my novel into a drama has been disrupted," he said in the suit.

As to the similar content, he cited a North Korean nuclear weapon developer's seeking of asylum in the South and the attempt to detonate a nuclear weapon in central Seoul.

However, Taewon Entertainment, the producer of the drama, denied the allegation.

"We are going to strongly react to the allegations. We will file a counter defamation suit," a Taewon official said.

The Wednesday/Thursday evening drama has enjoyed rising viewer numbers, with last week's rating posting 35 percent.

Actors Lee Byung-hun, Kim Tae-hee and Kim So-yeon star in the 20-episode drama.

Source : The Korea Times

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for sharing all the information. As we're nearing the end, more and more shock is being revealed... Can't wait for this week episode

* There's also a casting spoiler, confirmed by the actor himself at DCgall-- actor Ryu Seung Rong (from the upcoming movie Secret with Cha Seung Won and Song Yun-A, and the SBS drama Painter of the Wind) will show up in the remaining 4 eps, eps. 17-20. He let it out last week at the DCgall for Painter that he had a part on IRIS & would start filming Friday (last week, on 4 Dec). No clue on what his character is, though 'Mr Black' has been ruled out, since he doesn't show up until ep. 20. But given the preview, kinda wondering if he leads the mercenaries who spring out Baek San & SaWoo, or in any case plays a key figure from IRIS. If you look at his pictures, you'll see the guy's born to play charismatic villains.

This is him, right? PHOTO

Btw.. there's also mention of actor David McInnis joining IRIS as well.. is it confirmed, too?

Guest lucky_moon

there's so many raw version (han, han 720p, etc), any difference? can english subs for all raw version?

as for WITHS2 subtitle it'll work with HAN & 450p HAN while 720p HAN will need to be resync to works fine.

but depend on u, the bigger the file is the more you can watch a HQ video.

Guest joynara

This is him, right? PHOTO

Btw.. there's also mention of actor David McInnis joining IRIS as well.. is it confirmed, too?

Yup, that's Ryu SeungRong, alright. And yes to David McInnis as well.

It's four new faces in total-- Ryu SeungRong, David McInnis, Lee JeongYong (in the middle), and the actress Sohn JeongMin. (Click on their names for pictures.) All mercenaries (with Ryu as the leader) dispatched from IRIS headquarters to break Baek San & SaWoo out of jail then do Baek San's dirty work in Korea.

Guest Lilazinprincess

Yup, that's Ryu SeungRong, alright. And yes to David McInnis as well.

It's four new faces in total-- Ryu SeungRong, David McInnis, Lee JeongYong (in the middle), and the actress Sohn JeongMin. (Click on their names for pictures.) All mercenaries (with Ryu as the leader) dispatched from IRIS headquarters to break Baek San & SaWoo out of jail then do Baek San's dirty work in Korea.

Interesting....The two actors look capable of portraying IRIS (for what we know of them as being cold blooded and all) but the actress?....not so much. Thanks for the new updates.

-----------------------------

New pictures from various news sources (credits on pictures):

2ajal1j.jpg

2qjaxso.jpg

------------------------------------------------

News article listing the "points" that IRIS plagiarized: http://news.naver.com/main/hotissue/read.n...1&ptype=011

Also, looks like another OST is coming soon too! The new song will be aired this week(episodes 17-18)! This time, it is the artist Ji-Hoon (지훈).

Guest joynara

Btw, just to place IRIS' performance in perspective, here's a ratings chart of the three networks' entire Wed-Thurs line-up in 2009 (based on the TNS data; credit goes to an unnamed source @DCgall):

2009WedThursLineup.gif

KBS2: Kingdom of Winds / KyongSuk's Father (4-part drama) / Again My Love / ? / Partner / My Fair Lady / IRIS

MBC: General Hospital / Return of Iljimae / Cinderella Man / Triple / Hon / Heading to the Ground / ? / Hero

SBS: Star's Lover/ Cain & Abel / City Hall / Swallow the Sun / You're Beautiful / Will it Snow for Xmas

This was done two weeks ago, ie. just before IRIS' ratings picked up again so it doesn't even include its best peformances to-date (ep. 13 < ep. 14 << ep. 15 < ep. 16).

In a nutshell, there's IRIS, and there's everyone else.

Guest kchild702

D: they killed her?

damn i shouldn't have went to the recent page.

still on ep 14.

i read on yahoo korea that vick pleads with her to help him to gain access to the NSS server and after that................CLICK "POW".

IT SAYS AS SOON AS HE GETS ACCESS TO IT HE KILLS HER.

And from some of the korean sites (Naver, Cyworld), the new OST is released.

Can't I Love - Seo In Young (IRIS OST Part 6)

sorry to cut your post ^_^

anyway, I just download the song and it really is a great song

But could someone here who know korean language put the english translation for the lyric??

Thanks in advance :)

Guest joynara

Crikey. In yet another instance of hard-core casting, news is out Jung HoBin (best known for his roles as BiDam's master MunNo on Queen Seonduk, Lee MinHo's secretary in BOF, and SoSeoNo's bodyguard/husband in JuMong) will appear as HyunJoon's interrogator from the (Korean) Central Intelligence Agency in ep. 17.

Someone @DCgall actually recognized him yesterday in the preview, but I thought, no way, but apparently, yes way.

서인영 - 사랑하면 안되나요

Seo In Young - Can't We Love?

정말 우린 여기까지인가요

We are really at this point

허락된 시간조차 이제는 다한건가요

Even time has run out

이렇게 또 우린 서로 사랑하면서

Even then, we still love each other

눈물을 감춘채 돌아서야만 하나요

We'll hide our tears and return

못다한 그말 너무나 사랑한다고

The words that we can't speak, how much we love

단한번만이라도 해줄수 있다면

Even if we were to say it all at one go

우리 어떻게 헤어져

How can we break up

우리 어떻게 헤어져

How can we break up

내가슴이 그댈 놓치 못하는데

My heart can't escape

내가 안겨쉴 곳 오직 하나

I can only stay in 1 place

그대 뿐인데

that's all i mean

우리 사랑 이대로

Our love

우리 사랑 이대로 끝인가요

Will our love just end like that?

정말 이제 마지막인건가요

It seems like its really the end

우리에겐 더 이상 다음은 없는건가요

There doesn't seem to be another time for both of us

평생 서로 그리움에 아파하면서

We'll miss each other our whole lives even though it hurts

가슴에 묻은 채 살아가야만 하나요

Even though we have to leave, we'll keep asking our hearts why

시간을 돌려 그때 그날로 돌아가

Can't we turn back time

단하루만이라도 머물수 있다면

Just stop time for 1 day

우리 어떻게 헤어져

How can we break up

우리 어떻게 헤어져

How can we break up

내가슴이 그댈 놓치 못하는데

My heart can't escape

내가 안겨쉴 곳 오직 하나

I can only stay in 1 place

그대 뿐인데

that's all i mean

우리 사랑 이대로

Our love

우리 그냥 이대로

Will our love

사랑하면 안되나요

Can't we just love?

사랑하면 안되나요

Can't we just love?

그대가 없다면 눈물로 살텐데

Even without that, we could just live with tears

그대 죽을만큼 원하고 또 원한다해도

Even though we love each other to the point of dying

우리 사랑 이대로

Our love

우리 사랑 이대로

It seems that our love

끝인가요

will end after all

***translated by antisocialnot***

i read on yahoo korea that vick pleads with her to help him to gain access to the NSS server and after that................CLICK "POW".

IT SAYS AS SOON AS HE GETS ACCESS TO IT HE KILLS HER

D: damn you vick! why are you so hot & cruel?

Just finished watching ep 16.

omg this drama is amazing. the suspenseful&dramatic scenes makes me go crazy!

Just a question, PCY didn't really kill Baek San's wife right? I was kinda unsure.

Guest Lilazinprincess

Crikey. In yet another instance of hard-core casting, news is out Jung HoBin (best known for his roles as BiDam's master MunNo on Queen Seonduk, Lee MinHo's secretary in BOF, and SoSeoNo's bodyguard/husband in JuMong) will appear as HyunJoon's interrogator from the (Korean) Central Intelligence Agency in ep. 17.

Someone @DCgall actually recognized him yesterday in the preview, but I thought, no way, but apparently, yes way.

Looks like someone is pulling out all the stars. :lol:

Article: http://bntnews.hankyung.com/apps/news?popu...p;mode=sub_view

--------------------

Thank you for the translation!

How Will Love Triangle End in ‘Iris?'

[2009-12-09]

With only four episodes left until its end, the KBS2 spy drama “Iris” is focusing on the love plotline as well as the confrontation plotline.

In the December 3 episode, the tragic lovers--Kim Hyun-jun (Lee Byung-heon) and Choi Seung-hee (Kim Tae-hee)-–have finally reunited alone. The two had encountered each other twice before, but there had always been other people around them.

307828l.jpg

With tears in eyes, they stared at each other before kissing. Hyun-jun told her everything that had happened to him--his disappearance, the identity of the terrorist group “Iris,” and its connection with Baek San (Kim Young-chul), the chief of the National Security Service, and Jin Sa-woo (Jeong Jun-ho), an NSS agent and their friend.

But their time together was brief. Hearing that Sa-woo was coming, they had to part without a promise to meet again.

Meanwhile, Kim Seon-hwa (Kim So-yeon) revealed her secret feelings for Hyun-jun as she explained her sudden disappearance in Akita, Japan and encounter with Seung-hee in Seoul.

She said, “When I left Akita without telling you, I was headed for Seoul to return to the North. But I was caught by the NSS, and Seung-hee came to interrogate me. She wanted to know your whereabouts and I didn’t tell her a thing about you. But she helped me escape in the hope that she could use me to find you.”

She added that when she came back to Japan upon her escape and met him again, she could not tell him about Seung-hee. Asked why, she simply cried and did not say anything. Deducing her thoughts, Hyun-jun embraced her.

Meanwhile, Hyun-jun and Seon-hwa succeeded in locating a nuclear bomb that North Korean agents had planted, foreshadowing a confrontation in Gwanghwamun, downtown Seoul.

Internet broadcast media for "Guide & Review," TV Report

Email reports to pi@pimedia.co.kr <Copyright ⓒ Pimedia TV Report>

Writer: TV Report

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi - Illegal reproduction & distribution is banned.

cr:KBS Global

Archived