[variety 2008] Coming Out 커밍아웃

Guest HappyKrman

Guest Uyen Duong

Whoaaa, interesting~ I'd like to see the show O__O!!

I SUPPORT GAY PEOPLE ;DD

Because love.. is love~ AHEHAHEHEHEHE XDD <3

GO GO GO!

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sammy

Korea needs this...seriously...there's waaaay too much homophobia in the Korean community. I'm glad 홍석천 is the one who's going the lead the way, he knows better than anybody about the pain involved in coming out to such conservative society. 홍석천 화이팅!

I just hope this doesn't lead to homophobic acts of violence in Korea....especially among the young kids who are too immature to be open minded...seriously the kids are sometimes just as conservative as the adults (AND YES, I'M A YOUNG KOREAN TOO, SO I'M NOT BASHING, JUST POINTING OUT...).

How can a society expect to progress when it is closing its eyes and ears to the needs of loved ones?

Korean youth really need to take this into their own hands...they shouldn't be complaining about their conservative parents when they themselves are so conservative...

Koreans are constantly talking about becoming a 선진국, but it's got a looong way to go....

Please don't misunderstand people---I'm Korean myself (and not that it should matter, but I'm straight). If you really do love your country and are a patriotic citizen, wouldn't you want to critique and criticize, so that your country will progress? that's how the civil rights movement came to be

**These are my thoughts, so sorry if you're offended.

Guest PDURRR

yay Korea!

welcome to the 21st century lol

haha. woo hoo!

i remember him from sad sonata

i think this would do some good if people actually watch but yeah /shrugs

Guest yum yum dimsum

i hate the dramatisation... its so melodramatic lol

but this show is interesting. :)

Guest kiwistar

Is this reality tv or acting?

bc the street confrontation looked pretty fake/acted out to me

-edit-

nvm....

For a country full of males who are constantly feeling up on each other, I've always wondered why Korea was so unreceptive towards gays.

Oh well. Hope this show doesn't bomb.

i think the same way! they're so conservative considering all things. i wonder how the show will do, there are probably a lot of curious people

Guest lua0o

i read about this show in an article a little while ago.

it seems really interesting! i wish i could watch it

but i don't know where to find it to dl.

im pretty sure its been on for a month or so already though.

does anyone know where to watch it at?

Guest fobbiyo

I remember my Korean friend was telling me about this. And I was like "WHAT? I never heard of it" hahah. It looks pretty interesting.

Guest leongfun

Seriously? Korea is very homophobic?

I didn't know this. Out of all places, I would've picked Korea last...

Guest rufflezz

At least there are people who are celebrities that are willing to come out of the closet now :)

Guest Caroline :)

i watched this :D

it's really touching and sad

i cried whenever I watch the part when they announce to their friends that they're gay.

Korea needs this...seriously...there's waaaay too much homophobia in the Korean community. I'm glad 홍석천 is the one who's going the lead the way, he knows better than anybody about the pain involved in coming out to such conservative society. 홍석천 화이팅!

I just hope this doesn't lead to homophobic acts of violence in Korea....especially among the young kids who are too immature to be open minded...seriously the kids are sometimes just as conservative as the adults (AND YES, I'M A YOUNG KOREAN TOO, SO I'M NOT BASHING, JUST POINTING OUT...).

How can a society expect to progress when it is closing its eyes and ears to the needs of loved ones?

Korean youth really need to take this into their own hands...they shouldn't be complaining about their conservative parents when they themselves are so conservative...

Koreans are constantly talking about becoming a 선진국, but it's got a looong way to go....

Please don't misunderstand people---I'm Korean myself (and not that it should matter, but I'm straight). If you really do love your country and are a patriotic citizen, wouldn't you want to critique and criticize, so that your country will progress? that's how the civil rights movement came to be

**These are my thoughts, so sorry if you're offended.

wow judgmental much?

why do you automatically assume this is "progress"?? anything where korean society is different from american society and it's automatically backward? you say you're korean and young, and I guess you see yourself as open minded but you have such parochial racist views.

there's nothing wrong with a society that doesn't encourage homosexuality. there's more than one philosophy in the world and it's very closed minded of you to pass a sweeping judgment on every society that thinks different from you so you can make yourself feel superior and progressive.

how is it that you're so sure that you're right and everyone else is wrong? is American society that great? there's vastly more racism, imperialism, and economic disparity in the US than in Korea. there's more of a gap between the well-educated and illiterate in the US than in Korea and that gap is growing. In the US there isn't even adequate health care and you're so sure everyone MUST BE LIKE THE US or they're somehow inferior?

Almost every major religion in the world right now has proscriptions against homosexuality: if you're a practicing Jew, Muslim or Christian it's immoral. Confucian societies (as korea) have also traditionally discouraged homosexuality because the family is the core unit of society. If you study world history, it's amazing that Korea as entity has persisted for 3 thousand years despite powerful neighbors and incredible external pressures that have crumbled much larger and more powerful nations/ethnic groups. The predominance of the family unit is one of the core values that has defined the Korean national character for millenia and the reason why Korea has survived is because of the close-knit and independent nature of its society versus external pressures and values. So OF COURSE the natural predisposition of Korean society is to be extremely resistant to homosexuality which is fundamentally contrary and destructive to the concept of a family unit with a mother, father, grandfather and close extended family working together. And here you are some kid in the US to make sweeping judgments about an entire country such as "there's way too much homophobia in Korea" without any clear consideration of why the society is that way.

Being a Korean kid and saying things critical of Korea probably makes you look really cool and progressive to other kids and helps you think of yourself as the "non-typical (and therefore cool) Korean kid... but I think you really need to take a look at the historical, moral and practical reasons why a society is the way it is before passing judgment. And also what's in the best long term interest of that society. America naturally lends itself to being gay-friendly but not all other countries do, nor do they have an obligation to.

I'm not saying homosexuality is right or wrong but it's very closed minded of you to say offhand that the billions of people who believe it's immoral are backwards. There's legitimate arguments on both sides for just about every hot topic issue in the world. Sociologically speaking, there's no reason any other country in the world has to change just so it can be in-step with present cultural mores in the US in order to be "progessive." Granted many do, due to the enormous influence of American popular culture but to say everyone has to be like us is really closed-minded

Um...wow.

I don't have anything against homosexuals, but Korea has definitely become a lot more open. A few years ago, such a mention of a show would've been shunned immediately.

Guest AznTvGuy

^

^

I believe you have severely misinterpreted the post you are responding to. And bravo korea.

Guest WitchGoddess

anyone know where you could watch this.

I'm really proud that this type of show is on and helps people come out.

Guest lilswtazndevil

wow, i think this is an excellent idea actually!!

i would want to see it!!

Guest atel

^

^

I believe you have severely misinterpreted the post you are responding to.

yeah, that was like woah... kinda like where did that come from. more like blog material or something.

Guest stillshellie

its a real suprise they're allowing this kind of show but good for him! it sounds pretty interesting

Archived