[variety 2008] Coming Out 커밍아웃

Guest HappyKrman

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, I absolutely love this discussion all you soompiers are having, especially ginger's first post because I wrote my first college research paper on this topic.

I wrote about how the recent trends of homosexuality in Korean pop culture can exist in a deeply conservative society of homophobia (or even denial).

I included the paradox of wild success for films like "The King and the Clown" and the societal pressure that has persuaded LJK to only take "manly" roles now.

Thanks for giving me more research material; one of my Professors believes I should pursue this as an undergrad research project to publish..(I'll get to watch dramas and movies all day for my paper! xD)

Anyways, I am very supportive of this show and what it represents for Korea. I look forward to more exposure, more public discussion of the topics brought up, and English subs! =D

<3Stephanie

Guest donghae.

im really happy for de couple that's getting married.

it's kinda funny listening to de fake voice then de real voice,but it's cute.(=

when they're purchasing de rings,i realise those sales assitants is looking at them; smiling&laughing?

well,i don't know whether is it true.

but congratulation.xD

Guest understanding_fiction
Korea allows gay marriage?

Technically, no. The government doesn't consider same-sex marriages to be valid under the law. However, more and more homosexuals in Korea are getting married in their own public or private ceremonies.

Guest JeanieNYlovesTVXQ

Episode 7:

Saw this posted on youtube but it's not the whole thing.

Anyways, I saw all the episodes on their site. Their website allows viewers to rewatch all the episodes. I loved them all!

I am honestly so happy that a show like this is being made. I get to know so much of gay cultures in Korea.

And some episodes are really heart-breaking... like the ones that are 'coming out' to their mothers.

And regarding episode 7, I think they are too young to get 'married' or even be engaged. In Korean age the couple is 20 and 25 years old. In US age, they are either 18-19 and 23-24.

Guest epic_darkness

^What's the website you're seeing it from. I'm searching on google and can't find it in full episodes anywhere.

looks like smtown guys will be appearing on another variety show soon

except maybe yunho, he doesnt cry and hug other guys in public as much as the rest

Guest Bebe_Ji

its good that they have that show.

I think gays' are not even weird at all..I actually like more then straight guys ^^

Just because u can talk to them about anything and they always listen and talk back.

I hope this show make people see gay in a right way.

Ah, I absolutely love this discussion all you soompiers are having, especially ginger's first post because I wrote my first college research paper on this topic.

I wrote about how the recent trends of homosexuality in Korean pop culture can exist in a deeply conservative society of homophobia (or even denial).

I included the paradox of wild success for films like "The King and the Clown" and the societal pressure that has persuaded LJK to only take "manly" roles now.

Thanks for giving me more research material; one of my Professors believes I should pursue this as an undergrad research project to publish..(I'll get to watch dramas and movies all day for my paper! xD)

Anyways, I am very supportive of this show and what it represents for Korea. I look forward to more exposure, more public discussion of the topics brought up, and English subs! =D

<3Stephanie

Hey, good luck on your paper. I think that it's a very good topic to conduct your research upon. If I was still in college, this is what I would do too :P

In regards to the show, I think it's a great step forward. In the past few years there have been a few celebrities that "came out" and among them, my beloved Jo Jin Mo. But as many has pointed out, for a country that "in their perspective" is homophobic, I see many homosexual tendencies everyday in Seoul. I commend the production company for this great attempt, but I honestly doubt it will last :( It's just an instinct I have...but of course I hope it will continue and reach out to the more traditional mind sets and open the flood gates to a more tolerant future!

Guest understanding_fiction
Episode 7:

Saw this posted on youtube but it's not the whole thing.

Anyways, I saw all the episodes on their site. Their website allows viewers to rewatch all the episodes. I loved them all!

I am honestly so happy that a show like this is being made. I get to know so much of gay cultures in Korea.

And some episodes are really heart-breaking... like the ones that are 'coming out' to their mothers.

And regarding episode 7, I think they are too young to get 'married' or even be engaged. In Korean age the couple is 20 and 25 years old. In US age, they are either 18-19 and 23-24.

In Korea, men over 18 and women over 16(만 18살 하고 16살, the Western age way) can marry with their parents' or guardians' consent, and can marry freely if over 20. However, as I said above, it really doesn't matter - same sex marriages aren't accepted in Korean law anyways as legal. They're marrying for the emotional sense =)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dancingbymyself
It's interesting that there are no women coming out on the show.

Haha, korea's just starting to notice gay people. They haven't even THOUGHT of lesbians lol.

Guest JeanieNYlovesTVXQ
It's interesting that there are no women coming out on the show.
Haha, korea's just starting to notice gay people. They haven't even THOUGHT of lesbians lol.

Actually... Episode 8 was about lesbian couples.

Episode 9 on transgenders who went through sex change surgeries.

And other previous episodes on cross-dressers.

So the show deals with much more than just gay men. I love this show!!! ^^

Archived