The Official Piercing Thread

Guest liimegreeen

Guest すみ☆

well, what jewelry are you wearing in it right now? not a thumb tack i hope ^^ haha!

just following the stretching instructions, but instead, your stretching goal will just be 18g or 20g :]

I'm wearing regular studs/hoops/hooks, nothing special.

Instructions sound crazy scary @__@;

I don't even know what a taper is >.>

Is it bad to have a piercing that's smaller than standard gauges? D:

The instructions sound pretty intimidating to try.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Big_Bang

thank you for this thread. I was thinking of getting another piercing done

on my earlobe and was wondering whether a gun or needle was better...

but after reading about the possible effects, I'm definitely going to get it done with a needle.

Guest `Niiie

yay~ another thread for dumbie in piercings. yay~

thank you so much for making this threads and had

been helping me out in the past...my piercings are now

lovely..and i can't wait for my cartilage to heal.

Guest liimegreeen

i was wondering, i pierced my second piercing on my ear at the store,

and it's been a little over 2 years, and when i take out my earrings,

even for 2 days, the holes close up.

the same thing with my nose. the holes close up if i dont leave a ring in.

it's been two years too.

is it normal? or is it just my body?

yea, that's perfectly normal...once you have had those piercings for many years, you can probably go a while without jewelry...but i mean, some piercings (oral ones especially) are known to close up within a half hour of removing the jewelry...so yea, that's just how it works ^^

I just got my ears double pierced last week and my ears still sting/burn whenever I clean them with the "cleansing" solution they provided me with. I'm guessing I should toss that stuff and do sea salt soaks?

My ears feel kind of bruised. I've been cleaning them twice a day and so I'm guessing it's just because my skin is reacting to the earrings?

AND when I was cleaning my piercings today, this scab-like stuff (looked like something had dried) came off and my q-tip had kind of a faint red on it (my q-tip is...white?? so...)

ANDDDD There's a bump next to one of my piercings (right ear) that's pretty small and looks like a zit? O_O

I have so many questions. I'm just paranoid and confused. =X

yea, do not use the solution that they gave you. stick with the products i listed.

your ears probably just feel sore and are discharging stuff because of your recent piercing. this is perfectly normal, just avoid picking at them or touching them. doing sea salt soaks will help clear up any crusties that may be forming around your jewelry.

i'm guessing your bump is just a bit of hypertrophic scarring...salt soaks help will help clear that up as well :]

hi~!

well, i pierced my ear..by myself...a couple of weeks ago

and today my second piercing started hurting abnormally so i took it out and when i took it out this gross like mud colored slug looking thing came out and was on my earring. then i touched my ear and it was all like lion king and bloody..when i lookedi n the mirror it looked like a small bellybutton becuz it was like a circle then a creepy dark greenish brown thing rite in the middle of my piercing..i put in a new earring..i think it might have been the earring i was wearing but i just want to make shure...so if someone can help me that would be greatt~! i have some pictures but i havent uploaded my camera yet so i'll post it when i upload my camera~

ok well first of all, don't ever pierce yourself. you do not have the proper piercing or sterilization equipment, and this is probably why your piercing is so messed up and infected. i would highly suggest removing the piercing, letting it heal, and having a professional re-do it sometime...because it doesn't sound like the piercing is healthy at all.

if you REALLY want to try and salvage it, follow the care instructions listed above and i suggest wearing either gold (14k or higher), titanium, implant grade steel, or niobium in it to help it to calm down.

I'm back ;o Sorry

Here's my question!

Is it okay to take out a HEALING piercing? Just for a while? Or is that a big no-no? ;o

and when I clean with the salt thing, do I take the piercing out and clean or just do it with the piercing in?

So sorry if I'm asking ridiculous questions ><;;

no, leave your jewelry in until it is fully healed...and you can leave your jewelry in while you do a sea salt soak :]

I'm wearing regular studs/hoops/hooks, nothing special.

Instructions sound crazy scary @__@;

I don't even know what a taper is >.>

Is it bad to have a piercing that's smaller than standard gauges? D:

The instructions sound pretty intimidating to try.

mmkay, well a standard earring like you are wearing IS 18g or 20g...i thought you said that that is the gauge you are wanting to be at? i'm a little confused. what gauge are you looking to stretch to?

Guest miss_universe

last summer, the lady who pierced my ears told me to clean the piercing with hydrogen peroxide

was that wrong?

nothing bad happened and it healed perfectly fine

AND i changed earrings in two weeks

it seems like i did everything wrong

@________@

Guest Namine

^

You arent necessarily supposed to change ear piercings in 2 weeks.

But it should be fine if you didn't do something crazy like huge hoops =D

A new threaaaaaaad <3333333

Just gonna ask again.

Does cartilage piercing .. like.

I got scar tissue at the FRONT.

does it ever go away?

professional piercers said it wuold go down or something.

But not seeing it for like 8 months already.

Oh well :(

And I took care of it too.

Just that when I went to the hair salon, some asian lady went crazy and killed my ear.

Guest liimegreeen

^

You arent necessarily supposed to change ear piercings in 2 weeks.

But it should be fine if you didn't do something crazy like huge hoops =D

A new threaaaaaaad <3333333

Just gonna ask again.

Does cartilage piercing .. like.

I got scar tissue at the FRONT.

does it ever go away?

professional piercers said it wuold go down or something.

But not seeing it for like 8 months already.

Oh well :(

And I took care of it too.

Just that when I went to the hair salon, some asian lady went crazy and killed my ear.

it may go down, it may not. just baby it...wear straight, high-quality jewelry and soak it daily...soaking it will remove any discharge that may be in your bump.

last summer, the lady who pierced my ears told me to clean the piercing with hydrogen peroxide

was that wrong?

nothing bad happened and it healed perfectly fine

AND i changed earrings in two weeks

it seems like i did everything wrong

@________@

you are lucky then i guess ^^

Guest liimegreeen

Where can I buy provon/satin soap? I can't really seem to find anti-microbial soaps anywhere.

satin soap.

^ you can get it there. i personally buy mine from my piercer...and then you should be able to find those alternatives at your local drugstore :]

Guest `Niiie

want another cartilage piercing

is it advicable to get another one

even if the first one was done less than a month?

Guest pinkxlilies

Is discharge (light yellow-greenish pus/little bit of blood) normal after 3-4 weeks of getting a cartilage (helix) piercing? when should the discharge stop?

Guest HikageXZero

Oh thanks for all the tips especially for cleaning!

I'm wondering which would be a better way to get a cartilage piercing? Gun or Needle? I've had bad experience with needle with my lobes...

Guest addickshun

^ needles are recommended for all piercings

guns are simply devices that push all the tissues to the back

that's why sometimes you see people's back piercings are ugly :x

where as needles are actually piercing through the meat and tissues.

Is discharge (light yellow-greenish pus/little bit of blood) normal after 3-4 weeks of getting a cartilage (helix) piercing? when should the discharge stop?

the only normal discharge are transparent or white fluids

the discharge would stop when the piercing is starting to heal.

Guest liimegreeen

that doesn't sound like healthy discharge...make sure you are doing a good job cleaning it (see first post for details) and hopefully that will clear it up for you.

Oh thanks for all the tips especially for cleaning!

I'm wondering which would be a better way to get a cartilage piercing? Gun or Needle? I've had bad experience with needle with my lobes...

you're welcome :]

& from first post:

Q: What is wrong with getting pierced with a gun?

A: They can't be effectively sterilized. Low quality jewelry is used. The design of the studs is bad for piercings - the butterfly backs collect bacteria and discharge. The studs tend to be too short for a many of people. The actual 'piercers' using them have less knowledge of piercings and aftercare and are likely to give you bad advice since they aren't professionals. The stud being forced through your ear causes much more trauma than a sharp, clean cut by a needle. This trauma often leads to hypertrophic scarring, a MUCH longer healing time than is listed above, and infection. DO NOT GET PIERCED WITH A GUN.

Guest spork

I have a question about industrial piercings since I'll be getting one in a week-ish along with both my traguses and a lower cartilage. Since I wear glasses, how much will /does that that affect where the piercing is? And when they pierce my ear, will I be getting two separate earrings or the bar??

Guest liimegreeen

I have a question about industrial piercings since I'll be getting one in a week-ish along with both my traguses and a lower cartilage. Since I wear glasses, how much will /does that that affect where the piercing is? And when they pierce my ear, will I be getting two separate earrings or the bar??

the only effect i can imagine that having glasses would have on the placement of an industrial would possibly be on where you get the forward helix. your piercer may adjust where they place that so it will be more comfortable with your glasses. it really depends on where your glasses rest on your ear.

whether you start with a bar or 2 rings depends entirely on what shop you go to. i recommend going to one that will let you start with a bar though :]

Guest pinkxlilies

the only normal discharge are transparent or white fluids

the discharge would stop when the piercing is starting to heal.

that doesn't sound like healthy discharge...make sure you are doing a good job cleaning it (see first post for details) and hopefully that will clear it up for you.

ahh guys don't scare me! :tears:

well, right after i do the salt soak, i dab my ear dry with paper towel. when i dab behind my ear (where the piercing is) they'll be a small amount of blood/light yellowish-greenish (mostly yellow) pus. the amount is very little, almost as if you had squeezed a pimple and there's like a droplet of blood and it barely even stains the paper towel. should i still be worried? when should i expect it to stop?

Guest spork

the only effect i can imagine that having glasses would have on the placement of an industrial would possibly be on where you get the forward helix. your piercer may adjust where they place that so it will be more comfortable with your glasses. it really depends on where your glasses rest on your ear.

whether you start with a bar or 2 rings depends entirely on what shop you go to. i recommend going to one that will let you start with a bar though :]

Thank you~ :)

Guest liimegreeen

ahh guys don't scare me! :tears:

well, right after i do the salt soak, i dab my ear dry with paper towel. when i dab behind my ear (where the piercing is) they'll be a small amount of blood/light yellowish-greenish (mostly yellow) pus. the amount is very little, almost as if you had squeezed a pimple and there's like a droplet of blood and it barely even stains the paper towel. should i still be worried? when should i expect it to stop?

i don't mean to scare you!! it's just that colored discharge/blood secreting from an ear piercing that is more than a couple days old is a warning sign for infection/allergy.

hopefully you have good jewelry in it and were pierced with a needle? if this is the case--and you are following the cleaning steps--just continue to baby it (no touching, try not to sleep on it, etc) and there isn't any reason this issue shouldn't clear up very soon.

Archived