[drama 2005] My Name Is Kim Sam Soon 내 이름은 김삼순

SeReNiTy

Guest innerouter2000

omg this is unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!there's nearly 2000 page for this thread n now's gone!!!!!

i like hyun bin!!!he's so cute....n i'm on the 3rd episode of mnikss...haih...stil searching for links to upload this series.....i'm downloading it from solid but there's only 4 episode...haih....anybody have the link to dl??not clubbox please...mul or ysi or wateva...please...

ooo i finally found that post on http://www.kpopmusic.co.uk :D

my name is kim sam soon !

episode 1 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=16OZLR13

episode 2 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=42GIPTA7

episode 3 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=18FQT3SB

episode 4 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2604VVVY

episode 5 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=02MNVHPJ

episode 6 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=09PN9HO6

episode 7 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=20JC7Q9A

episode 8 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=206TVICP

episode 9 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=20YV27WY

episode 10 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=24TIPP1L

episode 11 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=35JSY0TW

episode 12 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=22AQB465

episode 13 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=240N52IN

episode 14 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=354RYL4W

episode 15 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=28ALHGBK

episode 16 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=36HP35UM

Credit: MiZXSUZiEXQ@http://www.kpopmusic.co.uk

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

look what i found in another forum - k-Drama at runboard.com

really good information about certain things in the drama

credits to fendercat - this person is a korean living in seoul who speaks really good english. he/she took time to correct the translations and explains things about the drama. these corrections were of those subtitles downloaded from d-addicts.com

here goes:

Episode 1

- '3rd daughter of a playhouse' should be '... of a mill'. as you can see later that KSS's mother owns a small mill.

- KSS' ex-boy friend talks with full of semi-technical jargons which is missed out in translation. So KSS said later 'no more metaphors or rhetorics, just say what you think. no more mathematical, philosophical, logics, astronomical explanations and all such bull****s and talk to me in plain words so I can understand it'.

- 'party chef' is not a mistranslation but I think they say 'pâtissier' in Korean pronounciation in the original.

- The former patissier 'yangmi' is a mistranslation of Korean pronounciation of french name 'Henry'. So all the reference of him should be changed from 'she/her' to 'he/his' accordingly.

- 'you die, and I live' is a modification of Korean phrase '(literally) you die, and I also die' which means 'I'll kill you even if I might be killed also'.

- 'or... are you just resting for a little while in the mens bathroom?' -> 'or... are you breast feeding in the mens bathroom?' is more accurate translation.

- 'you over do things and are clumsy' should be 'rude, spoilt and (literally) think there's no one better than yourself'

- (from dating company scene) 'your father isn't here' -> 'your father has been dead'.

- (the same scene) 'do you have a parent?' should be 'residence type - own a house... who owns it?'

- 'in this movie it says it's harder to meet a women under the age of 30 than to meet a total bomb' should be ' in this movie it says chance of making a boyfriend for a woman over age 30 is lower than that of being hit by an atomic bomb while you're walking on the street'

- 'wash your feet and go home' is also a frequently used Korean phrase which literally means 'go off'.

- 'if they were to remake this movie they would of had to fix 30 to 40 scenes' is a mistranslation of 'if they were to remake this movie nowadays they should say 'over age 40' instead of 30' which means they tend to marry later these days.

- '999 won' should be '9990000 won'(approx. $9990).

- 'what kind of dream is that' -> literal translation is 'that dream is almost like a soap opera'.

- 'What... giving 999won to those people and having to wait for they don't even know' -> literal translation is 'What... giving 9990000 won to those male specimen who're childish till they die?'

- (When HJ meets his mother in hotel lobby) 'Your going to buy a bakery for our needs?' should be 'You're going to buy cakes from my bakery?'.

- 'Until we can get a new party chef we will need to borrow theirs' should be 'Until I can get a new patissiere, I'd like to buy them(cakes) from you'.

- 'We need to get a hotel and get a french chef for our restaurant' is a mistranslation of 'In whole of Korea, there's only one french restaurant which actually has a native french chef, except for hotels'.

- 'One more thing, the owner and kitchen workers are also french' is a mistranslation of 'There's another such place in I-tae-won(a foreigner's town). It's just a small vistro, but its chef as well as the owner are native french'.

- 'Anyways they don't fit our needs so we can't use them' should be 'Anyways we don't have enough money to pay for them'.

- 'and your not even making the food so why do you need a party chef?' should be ''And you want a native french for mere patisseir not to mention of a chef?'.

- Mi-joo is about to go to 'elementary school (7-8 yrs old)' not 'kinderkarten'.

- 'mom does hotel jobs while the son does food jobs' -> he intentionally used word 'inn business'/'(small) restaurant business' which has strong degrading nuiance.

- (from the scene where KSS takes a job interview) 'Should I put it like the work is different then the life that i'm living in' should be 'Should I put it like they have a different view on human life than me'.

- 'i think the person making the food is part of the food' should be 'I think the food is part of the life of one who's making it'.

- 'i would have to live an excellent life' should be 'so in order to make an excellent cake, one should also maintains excellent status of living. And it's my view on human life in general that one should be permitted to leave one's job for a few hours on x-mas if it was because one had to keep oneself from breaking up with a loved one'.

- 'impressive. you don't quite have the career history for it' should be 'i'm sorry for that. but you're too good for the job, and we can't pay that much for an assistant'.

- 'What a rude usless man' is rather insufficient translation since it was very original line which means literally like 'he's such a jerk that dip his nose into a cup of soda and get himself drowned while trying to eat rice with it'.

- 'In life there're all kinds of men. but men are men' -> 'or... are you breast feeding in the mens bathroom?'.

- 'Anyway if he continued that long he should know I would start, too' -> 'Anyway he should know that even if there're all kinds of men one need to grab one before it's too late'.

- (in a taxi) 'I don't agree with him' is a mistranslation of 'I don't want to share a ride'. In Korea, it's illegal for taxi driver to force a passenger to share a ride with others because it makes him pay additional charge for going extra miles for another one.

- 'She agrees. I'm her younger brother' is a mistranslation of 'it's not a sharing a taxi, i'm in her company'.

- 'library' -> 'used book store'.

- For '(profession of) taking care of baby chickens', '(profession of) judging newly born chicken's gender' is more accurate translation. There IS really such a job here

- 'Don't think too much like I'm the boss. we have a comfortable environment here' is a mistranslation of 'I think you'll be quiet satisfied with the salary. I usually don't spare money on that'.

- 'work for 30 days' is a mistranslation of 'work for 3 months'.

- 'i don't like it when people copy what I say' should be 'I don't like to repeat myself'.

- (when KSS looks young male employees at work) 'I'm ok with anyone who is not more than 10 years younger than me' is missing.

- 'noona/unnie' means 'older sister'. Women use 'unnie' while men use 'noona'.

Also I've found profanity level is much lower than Korean version in general. And there're 2 different forms of talking which is polite and informal. So KSS always try to hit HJ whenever HJ uses the unpolite form to her even if he's younger, however such modes of conversation is very hard to translate properly in English.

But as a whole, I think the translators did a real good job conveying the meaning and mood of the original form even if there're a few mistakes. I'm not sure how many of you will find above corrections helpful, but if it is so, I'll continue with other episodes following on. I'd like to modify the subtitle directly, however it's very hard for me to find proper English sentence to suit the situation. So I'll just post them here if I find them more later.

---------

above are all fendercat's words... a very good English-speaking korean dont u think? :D

MNIKSS -- Aja Aja Fighting

:lol:

To : supaxsol

I feel so upset to your huge information at the first page of gone thread as well. I always looked at them to get through each page. It was really useful and benefit us. I really hope that you won't feel tired and sadly that much. We need you and all mnikss's loonies to put this thread up again. :lol:

Guest p_ballereena

Aww... :( Oh well. But soompiers are amazing! The speed at which everything got back to "normal" again. Reuploading some stuff I had posted on the other thread which I still have on my comp.

SHE SAID...

shesaid10cd.jpg

shesaid27qy.jpg

HE SAID...

hesaid7yh.jpg

hesaid2copy6fh.jpg

Also reposting the link of the mv I made since it still works:

MNIKSS mv- by p_ballereena

:)

FYI those megaupload episodes have no English subtitles. for the subs u still need to download them from someone's clubbox or from d-addicts.

From fendercat of the kss forum at runboard.com

Episode 2 and 3:
I've just finished watching ep 2 and ep 3 and was surprised to find the translation was way better than the first one. It turned out subtitle for each episode was made by different person so they have varied quality. As translations of those episodes I've watched today were almost notch perfect, there're few things to correct. But I'll continue on with supplementary comments and minor corrections since it's both fun and helpful a job for me as I've said above.

Episode 2:
(0:42) 'Learned how to cook pasta there' should be 'Learned how to cook french food there'.
(1:12) About Jang Young Ja - Jang Young Ja was a relative of former president who has aquired his power through military coup in 80s. She gained her notoriousity for financial fraud and embezzlement she has commited. Some backgorund here. So, the fact that KSS knows about her while the other assistant girl doesn't mean KSS was born in 70s while the latter in 80s.
(1:28) 'But it shows how truthful she is' should be 'But her picking on us is so palpable so I don't care'.
(17:23) 'guarding the men's room?' should be 'breast feeding in the men's room?' as in the ep1. Maybe 'breast feeding(수유 - soo yoo)' is not very commonly used word .
(22:03) 'What kind of a judgement is that? How stingy' and 'My judgement is beautiful' is a mistranslation since the word used in original line was not 'judgement(심판 - sim-pan)' but 'melodrama(신파 - sin-pa)'. 'sin-pa' literally translates to 'new wave' and it denotes new theatrical movement in late 19 century or early 20 century in Korea. As the movement was chracterized by excessive amount of melodramatic elements, KSS used the word to disparage HJH's acting on her blind date. Correct translation should be 'Are you making some cheap melodrama these days?' and 'it is dishonour to melodrama as a whole to talk like that'.
(23:00) 'a dog is barking', 'a cow is mooning' derived from slang phrase 'dogs and cows' which is often used to denote a situation where anyone can do something which was not for everyone before - i.e. '(after watching some unskilled actor in a movie) Anyone can be a movie star these days, even dogs and cows'. And 'a dog is barking' is often used as it is which means 'your babbling about is nothing better than a dog barking'.
(29:02) 'who conceives he's a prince' is a very appropriate translation of 'Mizi-wang(미지왕)' which is very hard to translate otherwise. At first 'Mizi-wang' sounds like 'mysterious(미지 - mizi) king(왕 - wang)' but actually it is an acronym of 'Michin-nom(미친놈 - psychopath) Zi-ga (지가 - 'himself' in disparaging tone) Wang-ja (왕자 - prince) in jul al reo(인 줄 알아 - conceives)'.
(37:18) 'You must have eaten something rotten' - actual line was 'Did you boil a fighting c_ock and eat it?' which means she likes to fight everyone around her.
(44:56) 'It ruined my entire dream' - actual line was 'the next 'episode' should be in techni-color too'.
(53:47) The soup KSS is eating was 'clotted cow blood soup' which is known to be good for cure hangover so no wonder HJH was so freaked out seeing her eating it

And some trivias from Ep 2 :
She love to call HJH using animal names - 'dung beetle (which was used also in Ep1 for her ex-boyfriend and it made HJH chuckle)', 'octopus ocellatus(baby octopus)', 'anchovy'. She also calls HJH's mother a 'catfish(not blowfish as translated)' and it's obviously derived from a 80s comedian with the same nick name since I've never have heard anyone was called 'catfish' before that and he was quite famous then.

Comedian Lee 'Catfish' Sang-Woon :

Also note that frequently used designation 'Mister' and 'Lady' has strong disparaging feel since the original words '아줌마(A-jum-ma)' and '아저씨(A-ju-ssi)' are rarely used for anyone below 20 or mid-30s. Literally they mean 'you're old and youd have careless and unrefined manner' when used to denote young people.

Translation for Ep 3 is almost notch perfect, so I really don't have much to correct :

(51:28) 'Even if I have to use an agent, I'll pay you back all the money' should be 'Even if I have to be a surrogate mother to earn money...'.
(52:58) 'Are you writing a highlight or something?' - original word was 'highteen romance (novel)' which means it is very melodramatic and cheap story.
(54:22) 'She has a 1000 won worth body' should be 'She has a million dollar worth body'. Such a phrase has become popular after an airing of <The Six Million Dollar Man> on TV. People also jokingly call the lead actor in that show 'The expensive guy' and accordingly the lead actress from <The Bionic Woman> as 'The expensive gal' which was aired about the same time.
(54:29) '...for each I've estimated around 10,000 won' is a mistake for '100,000 won'.

Guest _yinsyung*--

would anyone be kind enough to upload any of the NG specials?

the link on the first page doesn't work for me O_o

thank you <3

From fendercat of the kss forum at runboard.com

Episode 4:

Again, it was near perfect translation of Ep 4 so I'll concetrate more on backgrounds than corrections. So, here we go

Episode 4 :

(3:44) 'How could a rolling rock takes the other rock from the ground?' - it's a Korean proverb. Which means a rock rolled in from somewhere else hit other rock which was there from the start and replace it. It's often used to denote a situation when someone new trying to take privileges away from others who originally had them.

(5:16) 'My body is getting weak. I should go and eat some herbal medicine. (thundering outside) Okay, okay I won't eat it then.' - It refers to special kind of herbal medicine (보약 - bo-yak) which people take when they feel they're low on stamina. Generally it's very expensive and that's why KSS thinks God would be mad on her if she takes it in her situation.

(9:01) 'Someone with 5,000 won, is this how you are supposed to treat people?' - Should be '50 million won'. 5,000 won is just about $5, and I think KSS would worth a lot more even if she's a bit plump

(12:54) 'Working at a restaurant makes your stomach very empty' - Actual line was 'I know you would feel hungry often cause your heart feels empty for being alone and away from your hometown'. Apparently Eun-Hae was born in Cholla province and came to Seoul alone for a job. That's why she speaks in such different dialect than others.

(14:08) 'A knowledge search site' - reference to 'Naver KIN' service. HJH also searches it for how to give good impression to his future mother-in-law in later episode.

(14:10) 'You didn't even put spit on your lips' - Literal translation of commonly used Korean phrase. They think people tend to put spit on their lips when they talk lies.

(14:15) 'I don't want the 5000 won to go to waste, but do I really have to do all these things?' - Should be 'I don't take 50 mil. won for nothing, but do I really have to do all these things?'.

(14:33) 'Is there really an X-man?' - It seems the translator couldn't find appropriate translation for this reference to 'X-man' - which is derived from a famous contemporary TV show. Basically, there're 12 people helping each other to meet some challenge for price which will go to charity institutions after the show. However there's one hidden person among those 12 who hinder others from achieving the goal while disguising his real intent and they refer that person as 'X-man'. So it is used here to denote a secret agent of HJH's mother who supposed to be spying on them.

(15:09) 'So it's a planned out game of Go' - A commonly used phrased. 'Game of Go' is which KSS, YHJ and DH plays in later episode.

(18:42) 'You just have to eat the fruits first' - Actual line was 'Fruits taste best when you eat them on season'.

(19:08) 'This is from a bakery near Spain and France' - Actual line was 'This is from a region called Basque which is located near the French-Spanish border'.

(20:12) 'ajushi' - There're a few contexts in which 'ajumma or ajushi' can be used without disparaging effect as used in this scene. But there's one thing to note that Chae-ri was referring her bridegroom as 'ajushi' while HJH as 'oppa'. Generally, the latter sounds lot more intimate than the former.

(21:21) 'She is quick at noticing things' - More correct translation would be 'She's well aware of her position' which means she's not a person to daydream about things that she does not deserve to.

(22:21) 'when you were in grade school you were an exploded bomb' - 'a bomb' in this context refers to someone who's very unatrractive in (group) bilnd dating. Sometimes there's also a 'bomb squad' who is appointed to handle such a 'bomb' before he/she 'explodes' on someone else. For example, when 4 guys go to a blind date together, they might appoint one among them as a 'bomb squad', and when they meet the 4 girls on the date, and find one of them especially unattractive, that 'bomb squad' guy ask for her(a 'bomb') company first in order to other 3 could enjoy with more beautiful girls. Of course, they usually buy a meal or drink for him for his 'sacrifice' later

(22:48) 'There is going to be a laser beam coming out of your eyes. You want me to call Mazinga Z?' - 'Who do you think you're, Venus?' was omitted from the first sentence in the translation. This is actually a very funny line since 'Venus' she's referring to was a female humonoid from the famous Japanese anime in 70s called 'Mazinger'. 'Venus' fires laser beam from her eyes and also has 'breast missles' and she is supposed to be the Mazinger's 'girlfriend', and that's why KSS said 'You want me to call Mazinger Z?'. And the song KSS sung in joking manner was the intro music of that TV series (linked version is from the Japanese original while KSS sung Korean version).

Mazinger Z :

20.jpg

Venus:

venus.jpg

(In courtesy of http://www.cartonionline.com and http://candy3896.com.ne.kr).

(38:25) 'I almost miscarried', 'Is your body that weak?' - The former sentence is a common phrase used when one's surprised by something and frightened greatly. The original line for 'Is you body that weak' is 'Have you signed a contract to be a surrogate mom?' which refers to dialog between them from the previous episode.

(44:06) 'I already set the table' - A commonly used phrase. Literal translation is 'I've already made the rice so don't scatter ashes over it' which means 'as I've set up the scene already, try not to ruin it yourself'.

(44:15) 'It seems like you are following exactly what happens in a drama' - An obscure reference to a famous scene of contemporary TV drama 'Lovers in Paris' in which the male lead plays a piano and sing for the female lead. Also he added (omitted in translation) that 'Even "dogs and cows" want to listen piano these days' as explained from the comments on previous episode.

(58:39) 'Kim? Woo? Baik? Then something else?' - Actual line was 'Kim? Lee? Park? Or one of Chun Bang Ji Chook Ma Gol Pee?'. As seen from below chart, Kim, Lee and Park are very popular family name in Korea while other names 'Chun, Bang...' are well known family names for the lowest class cast from Chosun Dynasty. Still some older people avoid marrying their child with one who has those names thinking one has very humble background.

275px-KimLiPark.png

Guest Soloist

yay for Kim Sam Soon Thread!! I will be back with links to NGs, and pictures.

--Edit--

Happy Time NG - Kissing Scene

http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=07Y5U7P10LQQY2OVTJ7T3O3JZH

MNIKSS NG's - A whole bunch put together, lol.

http://s21.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2SPVD47...OW067LSIWGV1Z48

This is all i have for now, yousendit is kinda being gay, and i have a crap load of homework to do, lol But dont worry! More will come for sure! :D

waiting for those soloist!

by the way, any of u guys got a pic of samsoon's wallpaper in her fon, the one with her and samshik (taken while shopping)... thanks to anyone who will upload it (",)

Guest Brooklyn

hello sam soonie loonies...

soompiers are certainly a resilient lot! everybody's busy re-uploading stuff...

you are right p_bal...soompiers are amazing

and you, p_bal sweetie, are awesome...thanks for that she said-he said caps...

;)

Guest labonita

thank ~cairo~ for this correction. please keep doing it if you have time. it helps a lot.

since i don't know korean that makes me lost all senses of 'korean language' during watching the drama already, i.e. formal / informal type. also my english is not perfect. anyway, somehow the actions help understanding the story.

OMG... those cations at the top... made me tear up. that is like.. the most sweetest romantic caption i have ever read! what a creative person! and thank you for the translation

-S0LLY <3

Guest KimSamSoon's craziie fan

Thanks Cairo, now my questions 4 mazinga and some unclear stuffs for this drama are answered.

Again, keep this thread 4ever!

Guest yokemun

p_bal the links at the end of ur post izit the mv for the he said she said???i love mnikss!!!hehehe

innerouter2000 thanx for posting it!!!!thanx thanx thanx to all soompiers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

i will post all corrections/background information as i find them... i love this show soooo much too hehe... im not korean nor do i understand it, im just a member of another forum with someone who has painstakingly gone over the translation :-)

Archived