[drama 2003] Damo 다모

Guest JJUYA

Guest Dahee Fanel

WARNING: HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Dahee’s “Damo” Review

Curse The Block!

I hate to start this review off on a negative footing, but I want to be as honest as humanly possible – I was not able to completely, 100% become absorbed in this series. Why? This is a truly magnificent drama – breathtaking cinematography, near-perfect acting, a gripping storyline, a truly beautiful love story, exciting action sequences…If I had watched this drama back when it first aired, like my entire family advised me to, I am of the firm belief that I would have become an absolute Damo “pyen”. As it is, however…

*sigh* Don’t blame me. Blame “The Block”. The accursed…thing…that stops me from completely enjoying any drama that does not feature So Ji Sub (I’ve gone loony! LOONY!).

It is ironic, therefore, that the only parts I become truly emotional watching were the ones featuring Lee Seo Jin (Oh, my traitorous heart!). Something about his portrayal of the vastly charismatic Hwangbo Yoon sucked me in completely, and I actually found myself missing him when he wasn’t in a scene. Truly ironic, considering I’ve always disliked him in his other dramas, and openly teased my cousin when she was infatuated with him.

His acting had a subtlety and naturalness to it that really reminded me of Jisub in WHIB (^^;; ). With one glance at his face, I always knew what he was thinking. However, more than anything, it was his character I really loved. So stern and “perfect” on the outside, he was so full of conflicts on the inside. Filled with despair at his inability to move up in society, he was constantly trying to prove his strength to others (and to himself?). Like Inwook, he was a man obsessed with appearances, but still able to see deep into the heart of a situation. He had loyalty, bravery, and above all, love. Love overrode everything else. Yes, I did doubt him a couple of times in this drama (namely the scene where he chose work over Chae-ok), but he proved himself in the end. Love was the foundation of his life – without it, he could not survive. Because of its sheer depth, his jealousy and pain were deep as well. To him, love was his way of sustaining himself, but it was also an entrapment, as he admits to – “Since I met you, I have not once been at ease.”

I have to admire that kind of depth, that kind of dedication (this actually reminds me of Chul-woong in “Glass Slippers” as well). I loved the way he crumpled before Chae-ok, displaying all the weaknesses he’d so carefully placed into the dark corners of his being. No one knew him like Chae-ok did, simply because she was the only one he showed those flaws to (which, somehow, became a strength in my eyes). I could relate to him. He was human. He was so frail, so easily broken. I felt like his heart was made of glass, as though I, the mere viewer, was capable of reaching into the screen and cradling that heart, to somehow warm and nurture it. It needed so much to be nurtured.

Unfortunately, he gave that precious heart of his to the wrong woman. Yes, Chae-ok loved him, but she was simply incapable of openly returning that love. Trapped by the conventions of society, a rebel in the guise of a “slave”, she nonetheless followed its regulations pretty closely. She knew how Yoon’s status would suffer if she allowed their love to blossom. She didn’t believe she deserved him, and furthermore, believed she was wrong for him. She preferred to suffer silently, alone, rather than drag him down with her. She lived this way, greedily sucking up any slight form of love that Yoon gave her, but setting certain boundaries between them at the same time. It must have been a terrible existence.

And then along came Jang Sung Baek. Like her, he was a rebel, but one who wasn’t afraid to show his passion. Like her, he hated injustice. Like her, he was an Outsider, someone who could understand the pain of sacrifice, the “bitterness” of life.

And he was also her long-lost brother. There were too many similarities between them to ignore, a strange connection that pulled the two of them together.

No wonder she mistook it for love. It’s because it was love…just not the kind she thought it was.

In my opinion, Chae-ok mixed up the two kinds of love in her mind and confused herself unnecessarily. She thought she cared more for Sung-baek than Yoon, and in a way, she really did – it’s hard for “sexual” love to break the strong, deep bonds of “family” love – but she didn’t take into account two crucial things:

1) She and Sung-baek possessed a connection so deep, so raw, that she couldn’t understand it. Why should she feel so deeply for an almost-stranger? Thus, she immediately assumed it was love, thinking there was no other explanation for her feelings.

2) Despite everything, she took Yoon for granted. She was certain of his love, certain of his station in life, certain he would be fine without her (remember, her self-esteem is staggeringly low). But Sung-baek was a puzzlement, an uncertain equation in her life that was so restricted, so stifled. He intrigued her, roused her rebellious side.

Thus, when Yoon was in jail and his life was in danger, she couldn’t kill Sung-baek. The way they looked into each other’s eyes was evidence of how much they cared for each other, how much they mirrored the other, how that blood connection between them ran so deep that it crackled the air between them.

And, of course, there was the Cave. I’d seen these scenes before, back when my parents and my cousin were watching this, and for some reason, it’s always stuck in my memory. All I knew back then was that Lee Seo Jin loved Ha Ji Won and that Ha Ji Won and Kim Min Joon were brother and sister. But…somehow…I found myself getting sucked into these scenes, and caring about whether or not they got out of there.

Really, there’s something magical about the Cave scenes, something so passionate and tragic that creeps into the viewer’s heart.

Okay, confession time: I didn’t like Sung-baek very much. Or perhaps I should say I didn’t like Kim Min Joon? Something about his presentation of his character irked me. He lacked the depth that LSJ brought to Yoon, and I actually found myself wishing a couple of times that he was more “interesting”. He should have been a fascinating character, considering his dilemmas and complex mind, but he just…felt…flat. I felt like he was struggling during his crying scenes, and that his “warm” smile was a little cheesy (especially when he was looking at HJW). Another confession: Towards the end, I took to calling him Mr. Googly Eyes. Yes, that was the problem – his eyes lacked depth, expression. Honestly, I think if So Ji Sub had played this role, I would have loved Sung-baek, but as it is…FURTHERMORE, he spoke almost awkwardly. He takes a deep breath before every sentence while widening his eyes ever so slightly, and that is a deadly acting mistake (Han Jae Suk does this as well). The very first day of drama class, my teacher told me that an actor’s breathing is his/her most essential trait. Without breath, there is no emotion, and with too much breath, the scene becomes almost comical. I don’t know. Maybe I just didn’t like his voice (especially when compared to Yoon’s deep, velvety voice). Maybe I just don’t like KMJ. But that’s how I felt.

ANYWAY, back to the original topic – the Cave. Watching these scenes (for the second time), my heart ached, and I was once again swooped into the passion, the anguish, the sheer force of love. I loved the way she fell asleep against his chest. To me, they looked like siblings there – so warm, so affectionate, so protective of each other. Despite their obviously loving embraces in these scenes, I never felt any physical attraction between them. There’s a difference between sexual love and family love, and that’s exactly it – the attraction. These are the scenes where they confess their “love” for each other, but I sensed nothing but the warm, comforting, protective embrace of a brother, the care and dedication of a sister. I’m sure many people saw these scenes as an affirmation of the “incest” in this show, but I saw it quite differently – it was an affirmation of the fact that there was no incest in this drama.

Of course, they cannot stay hidden together in that cave forever, and the real world inevitably comes knocking on the door. Once outside, they’re separated once more, with Chae-ok convinced that she loved Yoon only as family after all (how bitterly, bitterly ironic…you blind girl!). She pines openly for Sung-baek, and it pains Yoon more than words can say. At night, while everyone is sleeping, he enters the tent where she is kept captive (his desperate attempt to keep her chained to him). He asks her if she loves Sung-baek. Slowly, ever so slowly, she nods. It is an earth-shattering nod, one that breaks Yoon’s defenses and scars his world. Even more heartbreaking is the fact that she isn’t lying – she does love him, only not in the way either of them think. And then she has the gall to say that Yoon is only family to her…! What of her heartbroken looks when Yoon was with the agasshi? What of her hopelessness? Her willingness to sacrifice her life for him? The way she looks at him, the light in her eyes when he touches her? Those were not the emotions of a “sister” or “ daughter”! How could she speak those terrible words? And furthermore, she believed them! That’s why she could speak them at all. Remember, she’s mixed up the two different loves in her mind. Then again, there’s also the possibility that she said this to put him off, because she believes her love for Sung-baek is “deeper”. She was such a confused, mixed-up woman, and caused Yoon so much pain as a result.

And then came the scene that absolutely broke my heart. Yoon breaks Chae-ok’s bonds, and tells her to kill him. She takes the sword, and asks for his forgiveness. His forgiveness! How can he possibly forgive you for trying to kill him, you stupid girl? HOW? If you’re going to do it, don’t apologize for it! Don’t make up any false pretenses to justify yourself!

*cough*

Of course, Yoon was merely testing her, and the expression on his face as he stopped the sword broke my heart in half and caused a herd of cattle to trample over the pieces. He’d thrown everything away to save her life when she was on the edge of death. He’d been in an absolute frenzy when she was missing with Sung-baek. He loved her so, so much. And what did she do to reward him? She tried to kill him! To go to Googly Eyes!

I couldn’t help it. As he told her to go, as he lay in the grass, thinking he hadn’t done anything for her, tears flowed for the very first time. Yes, I’d gotten choked up during the scenes where he was trying to save Chae-ok’s life, but this was the scene that brought my first real tears for a drama since…well…MISA! (I think.) I was literally sobbing for him.

But here’s the thing – I’m not sure if Chae-ok would really have killed him. Yes, she was desperate to see Sung-baek, but enough to kill Yoon for it? I think the last episode proves that she wouldn’t have been capable of it. If she really wanted to kill him, she wouldn’t have let his hand stop her. And furthermore, observe the expression on her face as she turns after making the stab – that is not the expression of a woman who hopes to see him dead. There was real fear and anguish on her face.

Still, the very fact that she even thought about it infuriates me. This is one scene that I don’t think I can ever forgive Chae-ok for.

Of course, Sung-baek ends up “abandoning” Chae-ok, and choosing his revolution over her. His dedication to his “new world” awed me, and I couldn’t help feeling sorry for Chae-ok as he tried to decide whether or not to “kill her”. (Would he have been capable of it if the woman in front of him had actually been Chae-ok? I think he would have.) She’d nearly killed the man of her life for him, and what was her reward? The murder of a good friend, and abandonment. Honestly, Sung-baek never brought anything but pain to her. How awful.

So what could she do, but go back to Yoon? I can understand why she would want to return the body of the woman, but to impose herself on Yoon again? I couldn’t forgive her for that. After what she did to him, how could she have the nerve to crawl back and ask to be fed and housed? She brought only pain to him – “I will have bad dreams again tonight.” But I found this scene where they talk to each other on opposite sides of the screen door, crying, to be really essential in showing Chae-ok’s true feelings. She herself knew she’d done wrong, and she couldn’t forgive herself…but furthermore, she realized how much pain she’d inflicted, and how she’d nearly lost the most precious man in her life. This was the beginning of her “wake-up call”.

Now, time for a little sidetracking – I must talk about Yoon and the agasshi, and Ha Ji Won’s acting. I actually really liked the agasshi. Her quiet strength and passion awed and impressed me, and I thought the actress did a great job in portraying her. She reminded me of a beautiful bird, trapped in its cage, but still able to sing sweetly (yes, I am cheesy). Her love for Yoon was unbending in its strength, dignified in its understanding, and pitiful in its hopelessness. Really, in some ways, she was stronger than Chae-ok herself.

Yoon’s treatment of her was…okay. He didn’t want to give her any hope at first, and thus was at times even cruel – but of course, we all know that after Chae-ok left, he tried to come to love her. Yes, he used her, but I don’t think he intended to hurt her. He was sincerely fond of her, and I think if he had fallen for her instead of Chae-ok, he would have been a much happier man. (Although, to be honest, I was a bit annoyed by their “romantic” scenes…I didn’t think he had any business holding her hand when he was so in love with Chae-ok. Oh, well. They were pretty.) Their last scene together really defined their relationship – her, begging for love, and him, only able to give a small piece of consolation. Poor, poor girl.

As promised, Ha Ji Won as Chae-ok was absolutely incredible. Her action scenes were fluid and flawless, her acting awe-inspiring…She truly is the “star” here. Of course, there were the odd moments when I was infuriated with her (why is she so good at playing emotionally uncertain characters? WHY?), but this series really cemented my admiration for her. Strangely enough, I loved her in “Secret”, where she played a deliciously evil character, but disliked her in WHIB. I’ve seen many of her movies, and I’ve always liked her in them. In “Damo”, I had mixed feelings about her, but on the whole, I loved her. Did she win an award for this show? She should have. It’s amazing how she can change herself for each role, but still maintain a certain smile, a certain wistfulness with each new production. Furthermore, she fully commits herself emotionally – as she demonstrated when she started crying during the episode fourteen commentary on the special features of “Damo”. I don’t think I’ve ever gone through so many emotional fluctuations with any other actress. And for her ability to do that to me, I must applaud her.

As for the character of Chae-ok herself…Well, as implied above, I disliked her confusion and indecision when it came to love, but she was much easier to forgive than Soojung in WHIB. At least I was given the excuse of “sibling love” here. :roll: And Chae-ok showed more remorse for hurting Yoon than Soojung did for Inwook. Also, I loved her sense of justice and intelligence. I loved her compassion, her individuality, her toughness. I loved her willingness to sacrifice for others. I loved her dedication, her loyalty, her obvious human faults. Yes, her façade of vengeance aggravated me, but I could see where she was coming from. I could understand her, and furthermore, agree with most of her actions. Besides, she was just “cool”!

Unfortunately, in the end, she was cast into the stereotypical role of a “damsel in distress”. After defeating the rebels and saving the king in a very entertaining and dazzling way, Chae-ok immediately runs off to find Sung-baek, and gets captured by those freaky Japanese samurai. Yoon gets to touch the king (I gasped out loud during this scene), play romance with the agasshi, and then…discover that Chae-ok and Sung-baek are siblings. I watched the special features, and during the episode fourteen commentary, HJW wonders what Yoon was thinking during that scene. Unfortunately, LSJ couldn’t remember (hehe), but I too am curious about this. What was he thinking? Was he in shock over the incestual implications? Was he relieved, thinking that her love for Sung-baek had only been of the sibling kind? Was he fearful, knowing how this would crush Chae-ok? Did he foresee the sorrow this would bring? Did he hesitate, wondering if he should reveal the truth?

But he didn’t have long to dwell on this dilemma. Immediately afterwards, he discovers that Chae-ok has been taken hostage. Without hesitation, he leaves to save her – willing to die for his love.

As he rides towards the boat on which she is tied up and gagged, she cries out, screaming, willing him to go back. Her words are muffled, but we can hear her frantic desperation, the guilt and fear pouring out of her eyes. I felt like giving HJW a standing ovation for her acting here, and I wanted to scream at Yoon for being such a hopeless, lovable idiot.

I should mention before I go on that this was my second time seeing this scene – I watched from this scene to the very end of the episode with my mother back when it first came out on tape. My mother was too busy tearing up to pay any attention to me, but to be honest, I grinned during my first viewing of this scene. Yes, I was a little amused by their strange swordfight (and I was even more amused by LSJ’s beard; no I was most definitely NOT a fan of his back then), but it was mostly out of awe over the beauty of the scenery and the sheer depth of raw emotion. And I was also very impressed by HJW (yes, I WAS a fan of hers back then).

Thus, the second time around, I knew what was coming. Nevertheless, I found myself getting sucked in to the heartbreaking beauty of it all over again – except with a subtle difference. This time, I felt no urge to grin. None at all. Instead, I pulled my blanket up to my chin (I have to have a blanket on me while I’m watching my dramas these days because of the cold weather), and watched stony-faced as Yoon tried to reason with Sung-baek (the bastard who kept saying he’d abandoned Chae-ok – okay, we know already! Stop repeating it, you traitor!), and as the two men fought a graceful, beautiful, yet terrible duel. And then, of course, the gold was threatened, and Yoon took the chance to kill Chae-ok’s captor. The gold fell into the ocean…and, enraged, Sung-baek turned and stabbed Yoon in the stomach.

I actually flinched at that moment. And the look on Chae-ok’s face…It really registered everything I, and probably all the viewers, felt. Despite knowing it was going to happen, and despite knowing how it was going to happen, and even despite having seen it happen already once before…In that moment, I think I can honestly say that something in me…broke.

I feel embarrassed writing that, but it’s true. It got worse, though – despite knowing he’d just been mortally wounded by this man, Yoon still felt obligated to tell him the truth about Chae-ok. There was no fear, no anger, no surprise, no hatred on his face. He was full of forgiveness, duty, understanding, and even – dare I say it? – pity.

This drama is full of beautiful, eternal images, and as I write this, I’m reminded of something the director of MISA said in the special features of the Director’s Cut set – it’s a drama’s pictures that a viewer remembers. I don’t think I’ll ever forget the image of Sung-baek slowly walking away, into the distance, as Yoon lies dying on the sand. And I know I’ll never forget the image of Chae-ok struggling through water and sand to get to the man she cared about most in the entire world. She wasn’t even able to scream properly, or run to him. She could only crawl, inch by inch, an agonizing trip that broke my heart and made her realize how much he meant to her. It strikes me now that that was so telling of their relationship – even at this critical moment, they never had anything easy. She had to work so hard to reach him, and even when she did, she couldn’t embrace him, or give voice to the words that tore at her heart. Yes, it’s a fitting metaphor for their love.

(It also marks the difference between her relationship with Yoon and her relationship with Sung-baek – in this scene, she places her head on Yoon’s chest, just like she placed her head on Sung-baek’s chest in the cave scenes…yet with a crucial difference: she couldn’t embrace him.)

Yoon spoke quite a lot during his last scene, but interestingly enough, Chae-ok could barely speak at all – I don’t think she felt she had the right. I know she felt guilt, and an overwhelming devastation. I know she was clinging desperately on to their last moments together. I know she regretted so much of how she’d treated him, and their relationship. She’d realized how much he meant to her too late. (Interestingly enough, this scene really reminds me of [“Glass Slippers” spoiler ahead!] Chul-woong’s death scene, and Yoon-hee’s own late realization.) But she still couldn’t express her feelings – she was, to the very end, a woman incapable of expressing herself. She was a woman trapped inside her own heart and mind. Instead, she spoke of her love for him in a roundabout way – “Let’s go to the mountains. Let’s not come back down again.” Ah, the mountains. Their sanctuary, and the place where she spent her happiest time with Sung-baek. The mountains really are a “Heaven on Earth” in this drama. Yoon pleaded for her to go with him to the mountains in the tent scene, and by repeating those words, Chae-ok was expressing the deepest point of love she could – she was telling him her love matched his love for her, that he mattered more to her than Sung-baek ever did. And ironically, since the mountains are a symbol for Heaven here, she’s also inadvertently expressing the hope that they can die together, and live together in Heaven (as I like to think really happened). Perhaps Yoon recognized this latter point, for he replies, “Will I be able to sleep deeply now?”. This line fascinates me – was he regretting his love for her? Was he doubting that the two of them could ever be together? Was he simply expressing the depth of his love? Whatever he meant, this line smacks of such sorrow and love, and a huge lump rose in my throat upon hearing it. It is so tragic that he states that he’s never been at ease since he met her (however romantic that line may be). Really, they haven’t been truly happy together since coming down from the mountains, or maybe even before then.

Chae-ok was Yoon’s angel, his demon, his everything, his nothing. His life revolved around her, and thus it was fitting that he died for her, and by her side.

Chae-ok, nearly speechless as he was dying, had nothing to say when he died…nothing except her childhood name for him, and important words that spoke so much about her feelings.

“Don’t go! Don’t go!”

Really, it was here that my tears really started flowing. These were the words that made the earlier scene where she tried to “kill” him to go to Sung-baek absolutely meaningless when used in trying to decipher her feelings. No person with so much heartbreak over the death of one man could ever have killed him. No person so desperate to embrace his body, to somehow cling on to his life with her voice, if not her arms, could ever have murdered him for another man, even if that man was her brother. By begging for him to stay by her side, Chae-ok was screaming out her love for him in the only way she knew how – like a slave, a servant, a lowly person who was reduced to crawling and begging, even for love (or should I say that she would do so for love even more?). Ultimately, she disregarded Yoon’s words – “Don’t live for me any longer.” – and lived for him, like the slave that she always was, until the very end.

The funeral scene was just too painful for me. Even thinking of it now, my heart aches. I couldn’t bear to think of Yoon’s body burning on that pier, and I dimly recall stifling my sobs with my blanket during this scene. And Chae-ok’s narration by no means helped – “Sleep peacefully. I won’t disturb your sleep again. But…be sure to come find me in my dreams.” He wished for her to leave his dreams, but she wished for him to remain in hers. That speaks volumes to me about her infinite love for him, and places the final stamp on my cemented conviction that she loved him – and I don’t mean as a father figure, either. And it also confirms my belief that ultimately, Yoon gave Chae-ok much more than she ever gave him. How tragic.

I quite like Kim Min Joon’s acting in his last scene with his co-conspirators. His speech was so touching and meaningful (as all his speeches are), and I especially liked this line – “Live on. That’s the way to save me.”

He chooses death over having to live with his newfound information, and while I have to question a decision that brought about such a terrible end for two people, I can see how much pain Chae-ok would have had to go through if he’d lived. Really, they’re like a sibling version of Romeo and Juliet.

Somehow, I didn’t sob hysterically during Chae-ok and Sung-baek’s deaths the way I did for Yoon. It just didn’t touch me as much. However, I couldn’t help but shed a few tears at the line “No matter what happens, do it together with your sister.” Sung-baek couldn’t keep his promise to his father, but at the very end, this promise was inadvertently fulfilled through their deaths. This struck me as being so ironic, yet also so beautiful and heart-rending at the same time. Also, Chae-ok, unable to embrace or protect Yoon, was able to freely embrace and protect Sung-baek. I think she was able to die happily that way – and I think Sung-baek was able to die happily, knowing they were together at last, and that she didn’t begrudge him. Really, despite my overwhelming sorrow, this was such a perfect, beautiful, breathtaking ending. Yes, my heart didn’t rip apart into millions of little pieces like it did during MISA, but thanks to The Block, that’s to be expected. Still, it managed to make me sob, I mean really sob, and I know I’m never going to forget it. The last lines written on the screen at the very end are especially telling – “This love that pierces my heart…Don’t live for me again.”

Yes, this love for this drama that bores into my heart…I’ll try not to live for you. But you’re making it awfully difficult not to.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WARNING: HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Dahee’s “Damo” Review

And then came the scene that absolutely broke my heart. Yoon breaks Chae-ok’s bonds, and tells her to kill him. She takes the sword, and asks for his forgiveness. His forgiveness! How can he possibly forgive you for trying to kill him, you stupid girl? HOW? If you’re going to do it, don’t apologize for it! Don’t make up any false pretenses to justify yourself!

*cough*

Of course, Yoon was merely testing her, and the expression on his face as he stopped the sword broke my heart in half and caused a herd of cattle to trample over the pieces. He’d thrown everything away to save her life when she was on the edge of death. He’d been in an absolute frenzy when she was missing with Sung-baek. He loved her so, so much. And what did she do to reward him? She tried to kill him! To go to Googly Eyes!

I couldn’t help it. As he told her to go, as he lay in the grass, thinking he hadn’t done anything for her, tears flowed for the very first time. Yes, I’d gotten choked up during the scenes where he was trying to save Chae-ok’s life, but this was the scene that brought my first real tears for a drama since…well…MISA! (I think.) I was literally sobbing for him.

But here’s the thing – I’m not sure if Chae-ok would really have killed him. Yes, she was desperate to see Sung-baek, but enough to kill Yoon for it? I think the last episode proves that she wouldn’t have been capable of it. If she really wanted to kill him, she wouldn’t have let his hand stop her. And furthermore, observe the expression on her face as she turns after making the stab – that is not the expression of a woman who hopes to see him dead. There was real fear and anguish on her face.

Still, the very fact that she even thought about it infuriates me. This is one scene that I don’t think I can ever forgive Chae-ok for.

Yes, this love for this drama that bores into my heart…I’ll try not to live for you. But you’re making it awfully difficult not to.

Dahee Fanel!

That was such a wonderful review on DAMO! :wub: Thank you so much for sharing with us.

I'm sending standing ovation to you~~~~

I really enjoyed your review. AWESOME!!!

Oh, that part! That scene is one of the most memorable scene from Damo and everytime I think about Yoon's face in that scene, it aches my heart deeply. :tears::tears: Beautitfully done yet so heart breaking and throat tightening! :tears:

One correction, though.

Chae Ok didn't try to stab Yoon. Even though Yoon told her to cut him, Chae Ok couldn't do it. Instead, she tried to stab herself and Yoon stopped the sword with his bare hand at the last minute. I still can't forget Yoon's anguished look at that moment realizing that Chae Ok's heart already left him.

I don't know how many times I repeated that scene crying my heart out. :tears:

Anyway, your review is so wonderful and thank you for sharing again.

Happy New Year!

Guest Dahee Fanel

One correction, though.

Chae Ok didn't try to stab Yoon. Even though Yoon told her to cut him, Chae Ok couldn't do it. Instead, she tried to stab herself and Yoon stopped the sword with his bare hand at the last minute. I still can't forget Yoon's anguished look at that moment realizing that Chae Ok's heart already left him.

Thanks for liking my review, hyun. And thanks for the correction - shirley actually corrected me on another site, but it's nice to receive feedback. I'm planning on rewatching this scene with a clearer eye and mind. I was just too emotional the first time to really concentrate on anything except Lee Seo Jin's face. :sweatingbullets:

Thanks again.

Where's the original DVD set for this? Not the one from YesAsia, but the one with the NGs, additional scenes, etc.?

Actually, I bought mine from YesAsia and the set came with the NG's, sypnosis's, makings, interviews, and everything else. I bought my DVD about a year ago, though. Things might've changed. Hmmm. werd.gifwerd.gifwerd.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest barneyashley

I think Damo is the best of all...I am in love with this series ...

But I do not understand why Chaok did not recognize the blue sash that Baek had with him all the time ? It is so crucial for them to regconize each other as sibblings ?

Why did Baek left the scene when he found out that Chaok was his sister ? It did not make sense at all ???

I love Yoon so much as he is a man with integrity , his love for Chaok was so deep that he could not live without her , he hang on to her since he became a man as the bond between them were so strong ...

I think that Chaok loved Yoon as much as he loved her . But she could not express her love simply because she knew that she could never had Yoon in a normal way . At the same time , Lady Nahui was right there as well so in order to break out from her Yoon she decided to go the other way .

It is easy to understand how one can love Baek easily as when Chaok was with him , she found out that he was her equal whereas with Yoon , even if she loved him but what could they do when the social status is so important ?And the way he smiled or look at her with admirations as this girl was a rekless soul as he was ..

Or when he came back to rescue her through chaos , risking his life for her . who would not fall for that ?

So by the time when Yoon realized that he lost Chaok 's love to Baek , that was when he decided to go back to the mountain when they grew up together . It is too late as of then , Chaok had fallen for Baek as they spent time together in the cave ... and their admitted to each others their love . How weird is that one can fall in love with 2 persons at the same time ? Loving 2 most important men ? One who is the friend , the brother of 15 years and one who is a rebel ??? Does it mean that 15 years means nothing and here just met for a month and love as if it was there forever ???? But then who could defind love and to control the hearts ?

I love the scene when Yoon frantically on the horse . went to the mountain to seek out the monk to heal his Chaok . The scene at the stream , he was tenderly used the cool water to wash Chaok 's face and to hold her in agony . It was so heart wrenching or when he brushed her hair in the temple before he killed her in oder to revive Chaok was so beautiful ...

I found that in this series , there were no kisses involved but somehow it was so erotic and romatic at the same time !!!! No need for kisses at all , Just Yoon with his looks and his touches ( when he tended Chaok's arm under the blossoms trees , the way he touched her face ,,,,, or when Chaok was back in the police force , his smile showed how happy he was to have her back at his side and again , he tenderly touched her face and his expressions were so good ... Or when he old her lifeless body at the stream , he hold her but inside he was so torn . ...Or when he had to send Chaok as a spy to the camp , he hold her dearly and told her no mater what , to come back alive and he worried about her all the time ... )

The same for Baek as well , he only looked at Chaok and somehow it speaks volume . He though about Choak all the time and coud not help himself to get involved with Chaok deeper and created more troubles later ... He was attracted to her in no way that he could stop . He caught Chaok cried alone at night and he could not stop thinking about Chaok .

When he killed the lady damo , he stroke twice to convince himself that he was no longer love her ( to kill his feelings ) and to get rid of her from his heart ( to kill the girl ) . So when he found out the blue sash that hang on the bush . He talked to hinself - why ? why did you come back ? I v'e already killed you ... You see , even though he did such things and still , he could not forget Chaok ..... That is love ...

I love it when he admitted that at the first sight when he met her , he wanted to cast his sword aside and to have a normal life again ... Who would not fall for Chaok ? He had met his equal - kind hearted - social status ( outcast and slave )- skills in fighting - it is the attraction from the start and when they spent time together , the attraction was stronger as they found out that despite the fact that they could not be together in this life time , they could not kill each other ... He also admired her when he tried to take the bullet out of her shoulder and she would not cried out since she had endured so much since she was young ..

Chaok then had to tell Yoon of how she felt ... Poor Yoon as he loved her so much . Even though that Chaok had never said - I love you to Yoon, but her actions speaked for her itself ... She could not express her love for Yoon as she did not want to be in his way .. ,She would lay down her life for Yoon . that is why she tried to kill herself so Yoon would be free > Yoon would not have to worry about her no more and then he would be free to marry Lady Nahui and to go up in society .

I can understand why she told Yoon that her heart had gone !!! With these words , she did not realized how much she hurt Yoon but her intention was to start a whole new life without Yoon . ( She was sad and cried when she heard Lady Nan Hui told her father that she loved only Yoon and that was the night that Baek caught Chaok sat alone and cried by herself !!! )What would you do if you are in her situation - once Yoon got married , what is Chaok supposed to do ??? Yoon had always been there for her but now she had to find a way for her life . too . And somehow , Baek was there at the right time , right place so of course , the attraction would be strong for Chaok and Baek ...

....Then in the end , when Yoon got killed by Baek , she could not lied to herself no more as Yoon was her world and vice versa ... The looks in her eyes were full of sorrows , guilts . shocks , and madness as her world had fallen apart . The love of her life , for 15 years had gone and he was the only one that loved her and protected her through the sad period of her life ... She was the one who could understant Yoon most and yet she could not bring herself to tell him her love for him .... All she cried out was - let's go back to the mountain .... And her face with a determination to kill Baek to revenge was so scary ...and the same when she knew that Baek was her brother , the only way that to be free of all these was to die ... It is so sad, though .... but to her that is the only way and the same thought for Baek as well ...

I like the way that the Left Police force caring for each ohter as if they are family . From Officer Lee . Officer Baek were so loyal to Yoon and cared for Chaok as if she was their sisters. Even for Lady Nahui , you can not hate her ... She was such a smart and kind lady .. What a shame that she could not have Yoon;s heart.

I could not believe that this series affect me so much because the story of love , loyalty , betrayal ... it was so beautifully done to break the viewers' s heart .....I am still could not get over it , and if you happen to see it again and again , you will see how good Yoon was with his role ... And the same for Chaok and Baek as well , Because you've already known of what about going to happen so you will pay more attention on their expression and that is when you would cry out more ....

Dahee Fanel!

That was such a wonderful review on DAMO! :wub: Thank you so much for sharing with us.

I'm sending standing ovation to you~~~~

I really enjoyed your review. AWESOME!!!

Oh, that part! That scene is one of the most memorable scene from Damo and everytime I think about Yoon's face in that scene, it aches my heart deeply. :tears::tears: Beautitfully done yet so heart breaking and throat tightening! :tears:

One correction, though.

^^ damo 008 ~ keke i also point out that same point ^^

Thanks for liking my review, hyun. And thanks for the correction - shirley actually corrected me on another site, but it's nice to receive feedback. I'm planning on rewatching this scene with a clearer eye and mind. I was just too emotional the first time to really concentrate on anything except Lee Seo Jin's face. :sweatingbullets:

Thanks again.

thank you for writing such a beautiful review for such a achingly beautiful drama ~ ^^

But I do not understand why Chaok did not recognize the blue sash that Baek had with him all the time ? It is so crucial for them to regconize each other as sibblings ?

Why did Baek left the scene when he found out that Chaok was his sister ? It did not make sense at all ???

thank you for writing on DAMO~ ^^ ...i enjoy reading it ~~ ....ah why ..she did not recognise it ..i think because that was when she was sooo little and perhaps there is no memories of that blue sash she has as a little girl .so it was not that illogocial for her not to remember what she has on her that moment ^^ ....that was a day she lost so much ..and for a little girl...i think the blue sash was not that important nor she can recall ..but to her brother ....that is the only thing left of his sister he had with him hence that is the most precious item to him ~

...........i think for the sea side scene .......it was when everything was happening so fast and he was in a daze of what was being told to him ..he cannot really confront the truth ..~ remember he was even willing to give up her life .in order to get the gold back for his people ....but more i think why he walk away was he cannot absorb at that specific moment .that secret that was being revealed to him .~i been a damo fan for three years ~ ^ so i can understand why you are so absorbed into this beautiful tale ~ .

Anyone knows whether Yesasia will be selling the Japanese release of the Damo OST? I just checked but they don't have it.

I watched Damo too late to get the Korean version of the OST; when I went to Seoul last year, 2 different CD shop owners confirmed that the OST has been sold out in the whole of Korea >_<

Guest rainy75

I've been hunting for this in Chinatown, KL but couldn't find it. Any generous soul knows whereabout in KL I can buy this drama? Thank you and Happy New Year to one and all!

try the shops at sungei wang plaza. They shld have it there.

good luck!

Guest barneyashley

Wow, barneyashley, I love your review!! Gonna save it.

Welcome to the world of Damo - you won't leave once you get in.

You are so right !!! I won't leave once I get in the world of Damo

As I think the writer wanted to capture our heart for a long time ... for us not to get out the web of Yoon and Baek and Chaok !!!!

I keep watching over and over again and I found that somehow I found more things to think about .

Like with Baek's smiles whenever Choak was around was so beautiful . He looked at her and just SMILED . Because he hoped that she would stay with him forever in the mountain .

When he invieted her to the picnic , just his looks and his smile for her to show how deep he fell for Chaok already . Or how he gave her a rag to clean her bloody lips when Chaok helped him with the boys , he realized that Chaok had a heart that was too big for a girl like her ... They were happy to help the boys , no words were spoken but they were in synched ...

Or when he came out of her room after talking out the bullet from Chaok's shoulder . He kept it in his hand and looked back at Chaok 's hut . He loved her too deep to get out .

When Chaok came back to raide the camp , he sat there , calmly with a bottle of wine and told her that he was waiting for her to return .He still offered to join him .... They could not kill each other and even after the massacre of the Police Force down in the river , in the end he looked up where Chaok was hiding as if he wanted her to see a true person of who he was --- and still hoping that she would one day come to him..

Hoping her to understand of how he was - A rebel leader for his people .

That was why he was so shocked in the cave when Chaok stopped him from calling out to Yoon . I went over and over many times with the scenes in the cave as they were so good to show how both of them fell for each other after all of pains they went through . Choak for her police comrades and Baek for his people ... How much she tried to deny but she could not . As she was torn between duties and loyalty to Yoon , but she had to give in as Baek was frighteningly true to his feelings toward Chaok .

I could not help meself . I can go on and on for each scene that I love !!!

Between Yoon and Chaok . ( Especially when they first met . she was so tiny and he came to her with a kind heart - he called her - a little one and how she made him honey water when he was canned - or she bowed in front of the Budah with Yoon when Yoon was so tired . They practiced together in the snow , the snow was so white and here she was with a red uniform and Yoon looked at her happily ... )

Between Baek and Chaok ... or Lady Na Hui with Yoon and Chaok .. Or when Man Suk Ki was with Chaok also > I mean they were all so good together and the chemistry were so great that I could not stop thinking about it ....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest barneyashley

My favoutire scenes in this series are too many ....

I love the cherry blossoms scene when Yoon tended Chae- Ohk's wound and you should see the way he touched her ... He used his back hand to touch her cheeks then using his thumb to wipe off her tears then he lingered at the back of her neck then onto her shoulder ... Oh , how beautifully it was done !!! He could not tell her his love and yet the only time that he could do when they were alone , he could only touched her . And she cried with her silent tears ..... how sad it must be for Chae Ohk as she loved Yoon so ( remember the scene Chae-Ohk cried when Yoon had to go and see his father then she was happy when Yoon was back to take her to the Police Station with him ? ) .

Then the most tendely scene was the time when they were first met ... of how Yoon looked after Chae- Ohk since day one and from then on , an invisible bond bound them together ... They comforted each other through the hardship in the mountain with the monk .. They spend time together helping each other and practicing in the snow ... That was the happiest time for both of them ...

Yoon took care of Chae- Ohk as if she was his own . Every time when Chae - Ohk was sent to a mission , Yoon 'd always worried about her and run to rescue Chae- Ohk when he heard that she was in danger .

That is why he was so mad at Chae-Ohk when she nearly got raped by the robber and yet , he could not understand for Chae- Ohk that she only did things to help him and to please him ( that was the way Chae- Ohk could be happy since she knew that she could never be his and the only way for her to be happy was to help Yoon no matter what ) and both of them could not understand this so in the end , Chae-Ohk chose to leave Yoon ... Yoon was also stubborn even though that inside he was a mess as he gave in to Chae- Ohk 's wishes . Only with Officer's Lee trick , Chae- Ohk then came back to Yoon ... How happy Yoon was to see her again by his side and again , he hold her face tenderly and Chae-Ohk then quietly stooh there and soaked in his love but again , she could not . could not openly show Yoon her love ...

Or how Yoon hold Chae-Ohk dearly when he let her go onto suicidal mission . Again , Yoon gave in to Chae- Ohk request as he could not bear to see her unhappy . I think at this time , Chae-Ohk found out that she could never have Yoon ... as she was just a lowly servant and Yoon should be able to go up in society without her .... Her heart must be broken when she cried alone under the lonely moon and yet , Baek was the only one who caught Chae- Ohk then , I just wonder what would happen if Yoon got to see that ?

Who would not love the scene when Yoon blackmailed the King's physician to help Chae- Ohk ? . Yoon knew that he would be in deep trouble with the King and yet , he forfeited his life just for his love . The same for Chae-Ohk , she would lay down her life for Yoon by went to the Palace to see the King to clear out the charge for Commander Jo and Yoon ... The letter that she wrote to Yoon was all of what she wanted to tell Yoon but she could never said it to Yoon .... Yoon was then left the station ( at that time things happened and he was the commander of the Police and yet he left it all just to help Chae- Ohk to be well again ) . He knew that he would be in trouble and yet , Chae-Ohk was the most important person to him and again , he would rather deal with the law later than to see his ChaeOhk died ... That is why he was so shocked when the first words came from Chae- Ohk was Jang Sung Baek 's name on her lips ...

The scene at the water fall , when Chae-ohk rescued Baek;s and using her life to exchange with Baeks' life . I feel so much for Yoon as he was enraged that Chae-Ohk could do that !!! And the way she looked at Beak as well .. Yoon was ready to kill and yet , he could not !!! He was so worried for Chae - Ohk and even office Lee had to tell Yoon that Yoon cared too much for Chae=ohk and Yoon forgot abouth is duites as a Police commander and yet , Yoon still holding on to see Chae - Ohk to be alice ,,, Oh , the looks of his eyes when he saw Chae- Ohk again - full of happiness but it was short lived when he saw she looked at Baek ...

And to me . I could not handle the scene in the tent when Yoon asked Chae-Ohk if she loved Baek . You should see his face ... He sucked it all in as if he was suffocated and yet he could not comprehend how he lost his Chae- Ohk ??? So when he asked Chae- Ohk to kill him to show her true intention , I realized that Yoon loved her too deep to get out because his life was nothing if Chae- Ohk was not in there ...

Then Chae - Ohk wanted to kill herself instead so Yoon let her go . His world was shattered into million pieces and yet , he let her go to be free ... This wound in his heart would never gone !!!

When Chae- Ohk left , how come nobody asked about Chae-Ohk where was she about ? As they were a closed knit team ... Office Lee , Officer Baek and even Man Chuk Ji ? Yoon for sure was in such a shocked state but what explanation that he gave to his officers about Chae-ohk abscent ?

I was sad for Yoon when Chae-Ohk came back with Man Chuk Ki's wife body and Chae- Ohk asked to be back in the team and again , Yoon even though that he'd already died when Chae-Ohk left him , Yoon took her back and cried behind the door , using his fist to stop his anguished cries - From now on to me . you are only a damo ...no more no less .. You see , he tried hard to be toughed but in the end , he 'd always gave in to Chae- Ohk as long as she was safe , and by his side ....He tried hard to erased her from his heart but he was just lying to himself . I think he was just happy to be single for the rest of his life , if only he could have Chae-Ohk with him .

I admired him when he had to choose between work and Chae- Ohk , he chose work to serve the King as he knew that Chae -Ohk now was out of danger but then he had to face a dilema to marry Lady Nahui .. Oh , how blunt he was with Lady Nahui and in the end , he could not lie to himself no more ....His heart had always been for Chae- Ohk .

Even on the way to the palace to stop the rebels , he still though about Chae- Ohk and was thankful that Chae- Ohk was with him till the end .. How could one find a love that deep with such devotion ? People critisized that he did not do much for Chae - Ohk status , but it must be hard for him because Chae- Ohk had a black mark on her as her father was prosecuted by the King as a traitor , this would be forever a mark from generation to generation unless she would have pardon from the King . And secondly , Yoon's father forbid Yoon to have any feeling for Chae-ohk as she would dishonour his family name .

Did you see how his father asked Yoon to call him father ?? His father had already crossed the line to show Yoon that he 'd accepted Yoon as his own son ... So Yoon was in a bad situation . He wanted to serve the King , to go uo in society by using his own talents , but inside he also raging as he was only half half . and the only person could see and understands all of his human flaws and suffers was no other than the little one that he offered to piggy back years ago ... The only for Yoon then was just to hold on to Chae-ohk then his life would be okay until the day Jang Sung Back came into Chae-ohk life .

Yoon got an offer to be the King's bodyguard but he declined because he gave it a lot of thoughs that his life woule never be the same without Chae- Ohk ... He was now ready to let go of everything !!! That is why when he saw Chae- Ohk 's sword and a letter from Magistrate Choi .. He went there unarmed and begged for Chae- Ohk 's life !!! As he said to her - You are only a damo to me , no more no less and yet , he would run to rescue her with no hesitation as if that was his own life .

When Yoon died , my heart stopped , why did he had to die senselessly like that ? In the end , he was at peace now ... it was such a heartbroking scene of alll . I could not get over it !!!! I dreaded when it came and yet , I was with Yoon because no matter how much he scold her or how harshed his words must be to Chae- Ohk , in the end , Yoon showed his complete devotion to Chae- Ohk and still he regretted that he did not do much for her .....His face was so peaceful in the end - he could not kill Jang Sung Baek and now he got kill Baek's even though Baek told Yoon repeatedly that he would kill Yoon if Yoon did not fight .

To Yoon < Chae-ohk was everything ......if he could not have her then nothing worth to live for or to fight for ......

The only happy for both of them was on the mountain . He looked so happy when he draws the picture of Chae- Ohk playing in the stream .... Now he was forever gone .......

I could not believe that Chae- Ohk could turn back on Yoon and also her colleagues also . Do you remember how officer Lee used the trick to get her back to the station as he said that Chae- Ohk would only survive at this station and how mad he was with the doctor when the doctor told him that there was nothing that he could do for her ? Or how officer Baek willing to take punishement from Yoon when they traded Jang Sung Baek for CHae= Ohk ? Or even with the adorable dork Ahn Tyung Baek ? to run after Chae-ohk and to worry about her ? Or even with the pair of Man Chuk Ji as well ? How could she just left ?

How could she betrayed all that ? Just because she loved Baek that much that she could throw all of those in the wind and run ???

To me this series end when Yoon died , I do not know why but Jang Sung Baek death did not move me that much .

And the OST is sooooooo powerfully GOOD .. the song of Sorrows and the song of devotion are so touching that I could not stop listening to it . I have 3 copies , one in the car , one in the kitchen and one in my bedroom .... hahaha ...

Is there a way to get out of Damo ?. I could not get over it .

And that I did not want to watch this at first because I do not like the history theme that much . but what a suprise that I got when I got into the first part and now , I could not get out .....

Archived