[drama 2003] Damo 다모

Guest JJUYA

Guest thunderbolt

second, the young Hwangbo's instant (only after their first meeting) affinity to the young jae hui

was a bit of a stretch...for a young teen-aged kid to think of a young girl that way and carry her on his

back while emoting away to kingdom come on their first meeting is so corny to say the least...

i wouldn't mind if some airtime was again devoted into developing a more credible premise...

This is how I see that scene, which incidentally is one of my favorite scenes in Damo:

That "credible premise" that you sought was already there in the scenes before his first meeting with Jae-hee (young Chae-ok). He was ridiculed for being the bastard son of his father. It was something he had to deal with from young but the bottled-up rage and bitterness in him was so palpable. Look at how he beat up the rich kid and the other boys.

When he saw the little girl with her bleeding feet, his emotions just spilled over. He was told that she would become a slave in his family, an outcast - someone who would forever be treated like scum the way he himself was treated. He connected with her immediately. There was an intense sense of compassion for her due to their similar plights. At that moment, he saw her as a pitiful child. He didn't connect with her in a boy-girl way, absolutely not.

I believe that first meeting was very important to Naeuri. It meant a lot more to him than it did to her because she was too young at that time. But for him, it was that overwhelming desire to protect her, to take her away from the slavery that awaited her. He said he wanted to fly away and why not? Life was not worth very much to him at that stage. He would always be marginalized because of the circumstances of his birth.

I wish I can explain better but I always get too emotional when I talk about Naeuri. Shirley, your turn!!

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NG of DAMO

http://s26.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3ASZPU6...0Z05JKZ3MRZS249

i watched this series because ellabel and cha highly recommended it

and i was so glad i heeded their advice. ellabel lent me her copy and had to download a copy for myself.

damo is among the best k-dramas i've seen...

i thought that angle (revolt in late 1600 cho sun dynasty) was already overused as a material in period

dramas and movies that the creators of this drama glossed over it, is it?

i don't think the writers wanted to focus on the tragic love of Chae Ohk and Hwangbo only...

cause that was some profoundly striking and moving narration/voice-over by Sung Baek at

the start and end of the series w/c pretty much highlighted the significance of Sung Baek's cause...

now if only we, the viewers, were also let in into the implied nobleness of that cause...

second, the young Hwangbo's instant (only after their first meeting) affinity to the young jae hui

was a bit of a stretch...for a young teen-aged kid to think of a young girl that way and carry her on his

back while emoting away to kingdom come on their first meeting is so corny to say the least...

i wouldn't mind if some airtime was again devoted into developing a more credible premise...

nevertheless, the story still stood out among most of the k-dramas i've seen

it was a story worth telling, raising meaningful and timeless issues on

devotion, honor, social justice, servitude (literally and metaphorically), etc.

it was as i said a good approximation of a classic tragedy as it depicted

the sufferings of the hero, chae ohk, as she was caught up and done in by her struggles

to overcome the "collision of her two equally ethical (incest notwithstanding) aims"

for such a heavy-themed series, my vcds looked scratched and worn out by repeated use...

this drama is that good... ;)

ah ..i think ur VCDS will be quite worn out by the time you are satisfied with watching DAMO...somehow u never really get tired of watching this classic .even to the extend u have such different perception whenever you review it again ~~ ;)

This is how I see that scene, which incidentally is one of my favorite scenes in Damo:

That "credible premise" that you sought was already there in the scenes before his first meeting with Jae-hee (young Chae-ok). He was ridiculed for being the bastard son of his father. It was something he had to deal with from young but the bottled-up rage and bitterness in him was so palpable. Look at how he beat up the rich kid and the other boys.

When he saw the little girl with her bleeding feet, his emotions just spilled over. He was told that she would become a slave in his family, an outcast - someone who would forever be treated like scum the way he himself was treated. He connected with her immediately. There was an intense sense of compassion for her due to their similar plights. At that moment, he saw her as a pitiful child. He didn't connect with her in a boy-girl way, absolutely not.

I believe that first meeting was very important to Naeuri. It meant a lot more to him than it did to her because she was too young at that time. But for him, it was that overwhelming desire to protect her, to take her away from the slavery that awaited her. He said he wanted to fly away and why not? Life was not worth very much to him at that stage. He would always be marginalized because of the circumstances of his birth.

I wish I can explain better but I always get too emotional when I talk about Naeuri. Shirley, your turn!!

here here ~~ .....

my favoruite scene tooo~~~ ..and you have explained it like a damo peiyin would ~~ ^* ..what is more pure then the heart of a child ~~ ..the emotions they feel are the must raw and true from their heart without pretence

that anger and rage ..and humulitaion and unjustice in yoon heart was exploding ..!! he see no reason why he should be treated in such unfair manner just because of his birth .~ ..he did not ask to be born a bastard ~ hence when he see before him the young jae hee ..with her worn out shoes ...another helpless child like him ...punished for the crimes of their parents .it tore at him ..that there are just endless such cases happening and they are so helpless to stop all these ..~

like thunder say .the compassion in him ..make him kneel for the little girl to carry her on his back ~~ to hell with ranking ...or what is proper ..~~ ...he did what he can to offer whatever comofrt to the girl he know is doom for more misery like he is going through ..~.~ it was also for himself that he is running in the rain ...how he yearn to be free too.~ he felt so trapped in a world where he is neither human nor aminal .~ ..if only he can beak free ...he will fly high above where he cannot be make to endure such unjustice anymore where he is free to be who he is ..and not judged for by his birth

that scene ...is not to indicate any romance ..affinity..it is not corny at all .but beautiful in such a way .that you see the two as child ..bond together with similar fate of ..punishment ...~~ ..both being drawn into a fate not of their own choice ..~ ..yet they will be there for each other from that day onwards ....both yearn to be free yet ..that freedom is so out of their reach ..~ it show you how .since young yoon has already been feeling so much rage in him ..~ ..how his birth has rendered him so helpless against what society see of him .~ .and young jae hee ....see how she trust him .~ upon their first encounter .....that little child .who does not know what lies before her .....from then onwards ...always ..young master will be the only one she trust ~ .

when i see their fading back ~~ .....my heart ache for these two children ~~ ....

dm36.jpg

i wish i could fly up to the sky

i wish i could fly above that sky

Guest mia-chan

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!! shirley :D I hope it's ok that I call you that....I already know I am in love with Hwangbo Yoon! and it look's like i'll be able to order Damo between the 2nd and 6th of December! i'm so happy :D I showed my mom a couple MV's that I downloaded and she asked me why I would want to see such a sad drama? and I said that the story looks absolutely beautiful! and sad endings arn't alway's bad! but I know i'm going to cry my eyes out! thank you again for for the Ng's and I hope it's ok that I come back to talk about Damo as well especially after I see it! :)

Ahh! That was so well-said! :) I agree with everything there, even though I'm still for JSB.

Hahaha. I posted a comment on that Twitchfilm site that you posted before. B)

All I talked about was how awsomee Damo was. Haha. I'm so biased when it comes to period dramas.

===

My comment;

This is all I have to say. Damo was a one-of-a-kind drama.

It was different. Unique. Special. You don't see many drama's get as popular as Damo. The storyline was just... awsome. Even after buying the DVD, I get "freshly" emotional (fustrated, angry, etc.)watching some of the episodes.Very few dramas can equal to this drama. End of story.

===

LOL. ;) Shirley, btw... I love those NG's. I could watch them over & over on the DVD.

Anyone know how in the intro to the 3rd disc of the DVD's... how Jaemoo & Jaehee are playing that game together? Omg. I was about to start crying when I was watching that. It's soooo sad that they were able to play like that when they were little, but as they grew up... they were enemies. :(

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!! shirley :D I hope it's ok that I call you that....I already know I am in love with Hwangbo Yoon! and it look's like i'll be able to order Damo between the 2nd and 6th of December! i'm so happy :D I showed my mom a couple MV's that I downloaded and she asked me why I would want to see such a sad drama? and I said that the story looks absolutely beautiful! and sad endings arn't alway's bad! but I know i'm going to cry my eyes out! thank you again for for the Ng's and I hope it's ok that I come back to talk about Damo as well especially after I see it! :)

^^ sure you can call me shirley ~~~ ......ah you are sooo a damo peiyin to be ~!! ....i do hope to hear from you after you receive your precious DAMO~~

i got some other MVs ..i see if i can upload it ~

===

LOL. ;) Shirley, btw... I love those NG's. I could watch them over & over on the DVD.

Anyone know how in the intro to the 3rd disc of the DVD's... how Jaemoo & Jaehee are playing that game together? Omg. I was about to start crying when I was watching that. It's soooo sad that they were able to play like that when they were little, but as they grew up... they were enemies. :(

hahha me too ..did you find your booklet ?!!! ........ :( young jae hee and jae moo...everytime i watch the scenes when the fathe ask how old is jae hee ....my heart start tooooo want to wept for this child who has a fate awaiting for her that will be soo cruel yet so ...destined since she has to be a damo before she can meet yoon ~~

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think someone was looking for the lyrics to the song of sorrow .~~ here it is

er i forget who is the translator but most probably is dramaok^^

'bi ga - song of sorrow' (kim bum soo)

cha ga oon ggoom ee ra go hae do

nae sahl meh mung ee deun da hae do

ee haneul ah rae nae ga sahl ra ya ha neun

geu dae ga soom shee go eet sseu nee

na eet ji neun ma rah jo

heu ruh jin gi uhk eh seul peun nal

duh neun noon mool ro man geu dael ji keel soo eet ssuht duhn

jool soo up neun sarang ee yuh

seh sang ee na buh rheen da hae do

nahl wen myun ha yuh do

woo ri da reun in yun eu ro ggok man na gi reul

na yak sok eul ha geh ssuh

guh chin seh sang ggeut ggah ji

young won han sarang eul oon myung eul guh seul ruh

nae guhk jung eun mahl ah jo

uh cha pi eek sook han geu ri oom

ee jehn deh dohl ril soo up neun seh uhl eul buh ri go

geu dae haeng bok ha gi reul ba rae

seh sang ee nahl buh rheen da hae do

nahl wen myun ha yuh do

woo ri da reun in yun eu ro ggok man na gi reul

na yak sok eul ha geh ssuh

guh chin seh sang ggeut ggah ji

young won han sarang eul oon myung eul guh seul ruh

---

a cold dream though it may be

against my existence though it may hold

under this sky the reason for me to live

is the reality that you are breathing

forget me, please do not

the passing memories of this sorrow

with tears i held onto you but

my love i could not give you

though the world forsakes me

against me though it turns

under a different fate let us meet

this i promise you

for this everlasting love i turn against destiny

worry upon me, please do not

this picture i see is already familiar to me

now i throw away time which cannot be turned back

your happiness, i will wish for

though the world forsakes me

against me though it turns

under a different fate let us meet

this i promise you

for this everlasting love i turn against destiny

==================================

i found something aussie write before ~ so beautiful written ~~ for our naeuri

yoon-ep13.jpg

BY AUSSIE

Previously when I've watched Damo, I've watched the end of episode 12 and the beginning of episode 13 but deliberately tried to block the full impact of the pain Yoon experiences as Ohk ah reveals her heart to him. Tonight, I didn't hold back.

FOR NAEURI.

Yoon, you sensed it at the temple when she cried out Jang Sung Baek's name but never in your wildest dreams did you believe it would end in this way.

How did it feel when she nodded in reply to your question as to whether she loved JSB?

How did it feel when this girl, this woman, whom you had loved for 15 years said that her heart had already left?

Oh, Yoon, how did you ever find the strength to arise and walk from her tent?

How did you manage to live through the terrible agony of that night?

How deep was the pit that opened in your stomach that night and threatened to engulf you?

I think of your pain,

I think of your rage,

I think of your despair,

And above all I think of your incomprehension.

How could it have come to this,

After everything.

Had the last 15 years been just a dream?

Had Chae Ok simply been a figment of my imagination to help me bear my loneliness and suffering?

Oh, Yoon, I feel you drifting away, lost in a sea of despair.

You are bleeding, although there are no stains,

Your heart is being torn in shreds, although it remains whole.

Yoon, I do not want to enter this place because it hurts so much,

I do not want to enter this place because I see your agony,

But I am, because it is only by entering that I will find the answer to how you were able to emerge and still continue loving Ohk ah.

I feel you wondering if you will ever find the strength to continue living,

I feel your sense of abandonment,

I feel your terrible loneliness,

I see you looking deep into your soul and finding only an abyss of darkness.

Oh Yoon, I see you walking the longest night of your life.

Yoon, how is it possible to return from such suffering?

Is there anything in this world to counteract such agony and despair?

Finally, in between the waves of darkness, it gradually becomes clear.

It's Jae Hui, isn't it?

She's the key.

You return to the very beginning and you remember the moment when you first gazed into her eyes.

You see Jae Hui in all her sadness,

In her loss,

In her pride,

And in her strength,

You remember wanting to hold her and protect her from the travails of this world.

You remember her arms around your neck as you ran with her through the forest,

And you remember crying out how you wished you could fly above this world.

You, more than anyone, knew what it was like for this world to seek to mould you in its image,

Ultimately, you remember how much you love Ohk ah.

It is this love that gives you the strength to carry on,

And it is this love that enables you to let go.

When you see her the next night and understand how difficult it is for her to choose,

You make the choice for her.

You allow her to leave and take the agony of choice on yourself.

It is your parting gift,

A truly extraordinary gift of love.

JAE HUI, FLY FAR AWAY TO A PLACE WHERE NOBODY AND NOTHING WILL RESTRICT YOU.

Oh Naeuri, I don't think I will ever be able to fully comprehend the depths of your love for Ohk ah, but I'm so grateful you have become a part of my life.

Guest mia-chan

Thank you shirley! I think i'm going crazy because I still have to wait for almost 2 more weeks to place my order, so I have been trying to keep busy so the time would pass faster. But it's not working! so I go on the computer and try to find some more Damo websites and clip's but I havn't had much luck. anyway I wish the time would pass faster!

Guest Lucreshia

Oh wow I haven't been here in a while. I was sooo obsessed with this drama earlier this year. It was constantly on my mind. Still the most beautifully written and produced drama I've ever seen.

Aussie, that was so beautifully written. Thanks for sharing.

Shirley, can you resend that NG? It expired already. Thanks!

Omg. I was just browsing through Damopia & then, I found this MV by Dramax. It's so beautiful. The song fits the MV so well & the blending/transitions are just awsomee. Like, the creator blended young HwangBo's face into ChaeOk's face... Haha. You have to watch it to see what I mean. :) One of my favorites now. :mellow: I was also looking at all the creators other MV's & they're just... great. This particular person seems to extremely be a Chaeok + HwangBo supporter. :mellow:

DAMO MV - Dramax

Go on Damopia yourselves! It's such a nice Damo fansite. :) The MV section is my favorite. If you want, some of you can PM me for my password & my ID (if you can't make an account).

Guest Mademoisella

^aww thanks how kools.. I liked the one song when he was talking to her and fixing her wounds I think in ep.1. It's call A song of Devotion or something like that.. It was sooo good!

Guest mia-chan

Wow, x jinaa! that music video was wonderful! oh and last I was here I was typing kinda fast because my computer was acting up so I tried to hurry and I forgot to tell Aussie how beautiful what she wrote was! I only know like 4 words of korean so the story of damo is no where near spoiled for me! I know the ending (wich I found out on purpose becuase it helped make up my mind to buy it. if anything happened to our beloved naeuri early in the story, I probably would throw a fit! but i'm still sad that anything bad happened to him at all. and chae ohk for that matter and I will probably be sad for sang baek to,I can't say yet because I dont know much about him) and I know like one or two other scenes. I also already support yoon and chae ohk (and like I said before i'm already in love with yoon!). I use to hate facial hair so much! but now after seeing hwangbo yoon with the beard? (is it called a beard the way has it?) I changed my mind!

Guest 1nonlydawb

NG of DAMO

http://s26.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3ASZPU6...0Z05JKZ3MRZS249

ah ..i think ur VCDS will be quite worn out by the time you are satisfied with watching DAMO...somehow u never really get tired of watching this classic .even to the extend u have such different perception whenever you review it again ~~ ;)

here here ~~ .....

Can some reupload the NG please?

Oh wow I haven't been here in a while. I was sooo obsessed with this drama earlier this year. It was constantly on my mind. Still the most beautifully written and produced drama I've ever seen.

Aussie, that was so beautifully written. Thanks for sharing.

Shirley, can you resend that NG? It expired already. Thanks!

here you are the NG clips ~ ^^

http://s4.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1U2ANMY3AGV4X2C94NS0VQ9LGB

Omg. I was just browsing through Damopia & then, I found this MV by Dramax. It's so beautiful. The song fits the MV so well & the blending/transitions are just awsomee. Like, the creator blended young HwangBo's face into ChaeOk's face... Haha. You have to watch it to see what I mean. :) One of my favorites now. :mellow: I was also looking at all the creators other MV's & they're just... great. This particular person seems to extremely be a Chaeok + HwangBo supporter. :mellow:

DAMO MV - Dramax

Go on Damopia yourselves! It's such a nice Damo fansite. :) The MV section is my favorite. If you want, some of you can PM me for my password & my ID (if you can't make an account).

thanks !~~ ya that site is a very awesome damo maina site ..i think the power of DAMO is really so strong that make them create such wonderful works ~!

Guest Lucreshia

Shirley, thanks for reloading the NG's

There was another wonderful MV with scenes from Damo. I forgot the name of the song but it was really slow and sad. All the scenes were of Naeuri & Chae Ohk. One of the scene sof the MV was the funeral scene, but I can't remember if it was the first scene of the MV or the last scene. Does anyone still have the link to that MV?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I am just TWO episodes away from finishing this series. I can't help but feel that Chae Ohk and Sung Baek's relationship with each other seem so incest. This thread did spoil me in the sense that they do know that they're siblings IN THE END, but that doesn't stop me from finishing this series. I'm the type of person who forgets these things and just watches it for the heck of it. I would compare this with Jang Dae Geum since they're so similar to each other (both set in the prehistoric times; which I love), and I think that I perfer the other one. Damo IS good, but how the setting is set; it doesn't look as realistic. Sometimes the lighting never seemed natural to me. Oh well. Good drama nevertheless. I just got it yesterday from a friend and I watched the first 7 episodes in one night? Very addicting. ^_^

oh btw, can anyone upload the full OST for me? I tried downloading the tracks from the soompi pinned thread, but it's not working for me. TT-TT I absolutely love the songs on there.

Guest Access DENIED

i really loved this drma. It's a true classic although the ending seemed a bit rush. I wish they added like 2 more episodes.

Okay. I am just TWO episodes away from finishing this series. I can't help but feel that Chae Ohk and Sung Baek's relationship with each other seem so incest. This thread did spoil me in the sense that they do know that they're siblings IN THE END, but that doesn't stop me from finishing this series. I'm the type of person who forgets these things and just watches it for the heck of it. I would compare this with Jang Dae Geum since they're so similar to each other (both set in the prehistoric times; which I love), and I think that I perfer the other one. Damo IS good, but how the setting is set; it doesn't look as realistic. Sometimes the lighting never seemed natural to me. Oh well. Good drama nevertheless. I just got it yesterday from a friend and I watched the first 7 episodes in one night? Very addicting. ^_^

oh btw, can anyone upload the full OST for me? I tried downloading the tracks from the soompi pinned thread, but it's not working for me. TT-TT I absolutely love the songs on there.

Does anyone have the Damo Opening song (song played at the beginning of each episode) ? The link on the OST page is not working!

Thanks

Here is a zipped file of just the OST (no extra opening track)

http://s61.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0ILLJCH...Y3169WBDKYUDGE5

Archived