What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Guest loO4la

Guest hyobutts

"Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Harriet Beecher Stowe, and "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" by J.R.R Tolkien. :)

Guest graceyoon

my reads over the summer:
419.. a father's death leads to his daughter traveling to nigeria after learning her dad fell for an email internet scam 
gone girl.. a husband finds his wife missing and is targeted by the police as the main suspect, the book unravels the two sides of the story, husband's perspective and wife's perspective, revealing the truth of who and what kind of people they really are
and the mountains echoed... this is like 20 stories in 1 and how the people involved all connect, sort of like 100 years of solitude, but from families of Afghan background of Kabul.
recommend em all for easy summer reading

As an unemployed new graduate looking to vilify the crappy economic structure, I am working between Shock Doctrine and No Logo by Naomi Klein and trying to get into Chomsky. Someone told me to read Chomsky in high school--I suggest all high school students do so, at the very least browse through something before entering the adult world where profit is greatly preferred over people. 
Recently finished Al Gore's The Future. He offers a pretty accurate look into what we can expect in the upcoming decades and brings most people up to speed on the small stuff (now) that will lead to great things if so desired. A quirky foreign book The Neighborhood by GonCalo Tavares, brief humorous excerpts in the life of six eccentric individuals.

Guest PandaKiss

@musval
I finally had the time to finish it last night! It was a bit hard to follow at first since there were too many characters to keep track of. Overall, I really liked it as well. I love books that are unpredictable.  :D

@graceyoon
I loved Gone Girl! It got me into reading Gillian Flynn's other two novels, which I didn't enjoy as much as Gone Girl. Nonetheless, she's an amazing author, I wonder what goes through her mind since her characters are always so dysfunctional, haha.  :P

Still trying to decide what to read next!
I'm leaning towards It by Stephen King, but I've been reading a lot these dark books lately.
I don't know if it's healthy for me, haha.  #:-S

Guest poomptoo

Currently reading The Great Gatsby, City of Ashes (finding it boring...) and The Prince and the Pauper. I'm hoping to move on to the Percy Jackson books soon *v*

Guest katze

Rereading Nausea, by Jean-Paul Sartre. I recommend it to anyone who has questioned their purpose (so everyone). It touches on existentialism, bad faith, psychology, and politics. The novel will definitely make you think about essence, existence, and which precedes the other. 
If you've read Nausea and you're looking for something like it, The Stranger by Albert Camus is also a fantastic read (explores absurdism and nihilism, among others).

Guest graceyoon

@PandaKiss, you know although I enjoyed Gone Girl the ending sort of ruined it for me.. I don't know, I was hoping everything would get resolved where people would find out the real truth. On another note, apparently Ben Affleck is playing the husband in the movie version. I think he's a tad bit old, the book made it sound like the couple were young. But if Ben Affleck is starring in it, they should get his off screen wife Jennifer Garner to play his on screen wife, I think that'd be awesome especially since Jennifer outwardly has the type of face that you could trust, and then surprise you if she is not.
@orangeman, have you read Atlas Shrugged, it's fiction though, but the author clearly supports the idea of capitalism separate from state and through her story, she shows how the economy would fail without it, which brought controversy during her era yet can be relevant for the economy today. It's one of my favourite books because it also involves a love story haha. And that the hero is a smart female.

graceyoon

said:

@orangeman, have you read Atlas Shrugged, it's fiction though, but the author clearly supports the idea of capitalism separate from state and through her story, she shows how the economy would fail without it, which brought controversy during her era yet can be relevant for the economy today. It's one of my favourite books because it also involves a love story haha. And that the hero is a smart female.

Guest Premium Oppa

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.  Holy richard simmons, if you've seen the movie and loved it, you must read the book because it is absolutely SUBLIME.  Seriously one of the best page turners I've read in a while.

Guest Leopoldine

Mansfield Park. 
I have a hard time finishing it. I'm more than half way through the book but it really doesn't suit me

Guest Edward Sam

I'm working on a story about two people breaking out of a North Korean labor camp and Fleeing to South Korea and I would really appreciate it if people read what I have so far and give me feedback: http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3139971/1/Escape-to-South-Korea