Hair History:

dyed a couple of times with both store-bought dye and done at the salon

Hair color Before:

Dark brown to black

Hair color After:

Reddish-brown

Bleach?: No

Price: $80 - total rip off

Comments: It wasn't as light as I hoped; I wanted it to be noticable by first sight, meaning not just under the light. But apparently, under the light, it is very very bright brown.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest seeepluss

WORTH IT?: - somewhat .

Natural Hair type:- straight & thick

Hair History: -

- started to dye hair in grade 8 & I change / dye my hair every year, since then .

- Dyed less than 5 times .

- Bleached 2 times .

Hair color Before: - pure black

Hair color After: - brown & blonde

Hair Dye: - garnier, natural blonde & medium brown .

Price: - below $10

Changes: - not much change, except it looks really dry & damaged from far - the bleached parts .

Description: - since I have dark hair, I always leave the dye in for an extra 15 - 20mins .

Comments: - the "after" colour didn't really satisfy me, since my hair is dark, it's really hard to get a light colour without bleaching my whole head x-x; it's only visible / light under the light, otherwise there's no difference . :(

83539891pi9.jpg

(1) - starting with .. pure black, with some red low lights.. that faded

(2) - ..went to brown

(3) - & the final product - brown + blonde low lights .

Guest sandybaby_

WORTH IT?: - yeah .

Natural Hair type:

- straight

- shoulder length hair

-Dyed many times , i dont really remember anymore :(

-Natural

Hair color Before: - found couple pictures (: the last colour that i dyed before i dyed the new one was violet

but it faded to this ugly brown/orange. [see the last picture] first two pictures are old.

wcldgj.png

Hair color After: Black - Bleach?: - nope.

2cr0qb7.png

^ see the purple hair in the last picture ?

i have no idea where it comes from LOL -.-"

my hair is still black and theres no purple . haha

Hair Dye: - i have no idea. my brother dyed my hair. he's a hair stylist :)

Price: - $20 , yeah my brother still charged me for the dye.

Changes:

- my hair is kinda damage from the bleach before long ago >: ( thats why i went back to black and keep it healthy.

Description: - ehh. pass

Comments: - I love it<3 & also a lot of people said i look better with black. LOOL even tho black was my natural colour. i havent had black hair since .. uhm. very long time, 3-4 years now. I think. I wanted to go black/blue outside the sun. but my brother didnt have the colour. so i went to black black. & i love it, except now its slowly fading. I absolutely hate when the colour fade. . .

Guest tastetheerainbow

WORTH IT?: - yeah

Natural Hair type:

wavy?

Hair History:

Dyed once, but really didn't show up at all. It was more of a tint.

Hair color Before: black, then dark just dark after the first dying.

Hair color After: reddish, auburn.

Bleach?: nope

Hair Dye: So Color or something. I can't remember, but my aunt bought it at this shop that required a license.

Price: 5 dollars or so for a tube and my hair used 3, so 15 dollars.

Changes:

- Damage? Well... My hair was already kinda damaged, so gonna chop it all off this summer -__-

- Texture change? Kinda at first, it felt kinda hard(?) but afterwards no.

Description: First most of my hair excluding roots wrapped in plastic wrap, lols. Sat in that for an hour, then roots for half an hour. Then another half an hour for another application.

Comments: I really liked the result and I've gotten positive feedback, the only thing that's irking me about my hair now is the damage.

But again, it was already pretty damaged before ugh.

In the process of recoveryyyy.

Before, like last summer.

Untitled-1.png

I was into the mullet thing .___.

Todayyy.

CIMG1640.png

I love fat curls.

Guest genuhfur

I've gone through a lot of hair colors.. and now it's brittle because of washing my hair too much.

Im very lazy to do deep conditioning and stuff... maybe thats why it's still brittle Lol.. jk I dontknow. but here's a pic of before and after

BEFORE :

m_e97603686ab676edfc22b31bdd42d396.jpg

AFTER:

m_3d2f0fee6dd03c45bf3a570ac0d0c054.jpg

but now Im just a brunette now :) bout to hit the hi-lites again except half hi-lites ...

Guest jhiroki

WORTH IT?: - Kind of .. I'm not that happy with my hair colour, I guess it's okay. :3

Natural Hair type: It's been Straight from 1 - 10. Went Wavy from 11 - 15. Back to Straight ^^

Highlights

Dyed: Blue, Red, Green

Japanese Thermal Rebonding

Oil/Moisturizing Treatments

Hair color Before: Non-Virgin Black

Hair color After: Orange/Red-Brown

Bleach?: Yes

Hair Dye: It was some natural dye, I believe. At least that's what it said when I went to the hair place lol.

Price: - $70 hairdye,haircut, shampoo/conditioner/treatment, hairwax, hairspray

Changes:

Healthier than usual.

Better texture, more shine.

Comments: - " I guess it's okay. :3 "

Before

n512013151_813082_1101copy1.png

After

x017-1.jpg

xunsurecopy-1.png

x004copy.png

Guest musicsmylife

virgin hair dec 2008

CIMG2030-1.jpg

first hair dye june 2008

CIMG2477-1.jpg

my hair now all faded haha dec 2008

CIMG3342-1-1.jpg

WORTH IT?: yup

Natural Hair type:

- fine

- wavy

-medium

-Dyed 6 times just to get rid of the roots and get the color i want

-Permed

Hair color Before: black/brown

Hair color After: - red/brown lol

Bleach?: - no -

Hair Dye: loreal, intense red copper

WORTH IT?: - YES

Natural Hair type:

- fine

- wavy

- long hair

-Dyed alot of times

-Natural

Hair color Before: - i dyed black

Hair color After: - color after -

Bleach?: - yes

Hair Dye: - loreal

Price: - $ - 10

Changes:

- dry hair jus a lil

Description: - for color i bleach my hair for really long with foil, then put color on.

Comments: - i really like it, but the colors r fading so fast

000.jpg

Guest Searesrayne

I use foil to separate sections of my hair when I highlight it. It's for organization and making sure the bleach doesn't get on the rest of the hair, really. I don't know why you'd use foils for all-over color.

foil is a metal and metal+bleach=chemical reaction, supposely will lift your hair even more :o that's why when you read the instruction on the bleach packet it says never to use with metals xD

I don't think foil does any chemical reaction with bleach. If you notice when bleaching, it is the heat from your scalp that makes the root of your hair lighter than the rest. Foil helps to keep your hair in place and keep your hair in moist because once bleach is dried out, it will stop working.

Guest chocolate//

WORTH IT?: - yes

Natural Hair type:

fine, long, weak, straight

dyed a lot of times, can't remember how many

at salon and at home

Hair color #1:

black, box dye, l'oreal. was very jet black in the beginning and faded to a very dark brown. can't remember what my hair colour was before i did this.. i think it was brown with red streaks. :S after dyeing my hair, it was quite coarse and dry, but nothing too horrible.

7.jpg

Hair color #3

darkish brown (done at a salon)

around 70 dollars, hair was still healthy feeling afterwards.

5.jpg

(keep in mind that there's no flash in this picture, but there is in the other one. with flash, my hair colour would show up slightly lighter here)

Hair color After:

2.jpg

light brown

Bleach?:

no

Hair Dye:

prettia, orange-brown one, sorry can't remember the name

Price: ~ 7-10 dollars canadian, bought it in japan

Changes:

- Damage?

ends of my hair were really dry but the rest of it was fine

Description: - i just put it all over my whole head (which took around 30 minutes) and then waited about 40 minutes. not supposed to leave it that long but i did anyway lol

Comments: - i'm pretty sure the results were due to the fact that my hair was already dyed. plus my hair is weak and light-coloured naturally so it changes colour quite easily. when i used the same box dye on my cousin (who has thick, strong black hair) it only left a brown tint. so i would use this if i wanted to lighten up my already brown hair, but going from black to the light brown i have with this dye probably won't work.

Guest Searesrayne

I don't think foil does any chemical reaction with bleach. If you notice when bleaching, it is the heat from your scalp that makes the root of your hair lighter than the rest. Foil helps to keep your hair in place and keep your hair in moist because once bleach is dried out, it will stop working.

Well i was talking about in general... foil and bleach do have a chemical reaction :o if you ever leave those to together. XD and i was talking about metals.... and for EXTENDED amount of time xD =bad results :o You'd be surpise how many ppl don't follow the rules for bleaching... they completely ignore the time limit. so it's all on them lol but i fyou do follow metal+bleach is harmless xD LOL

Guest Stephie;;

Very helpful thread. ^^ Nice idea.

Worth it?:

So far so good. =]

Natural Hair type:

Long, medium thickness, slightly wavy.

Hair History:

Has only been dyed a few times the same color underneath. Top of the head was untouched.

Hair color Before:

Ash blond. (With dye underneath; a dark brown/auburn).

Hair color After:

Black underneath and a very dark brown/auburn on top.

Bleach?:

Nope.

Hair Dye:

Unfortunately unknown. Went to a hair dresser with whom I've had much experience before.

Price:

$32. =D

Changes:

Every time I leave I have uber soft locks for what seems like weeks; so I think the dye is quite gentle. I use heat very often for styling and the dye has seemed to do no further specific damage than what I had done without the dye in the first place. xD

Description:

Had my hair sectioned off so that only the bottom layers could be worked on. Paper sheets separated the top layers and my bangs and the other color was applied. Waited for about 25 minutes and rinsed.

Comments:

Definitely a big change for me. I wish I could recommend the brand of dye that was used, but as mentioned before this was done by a hair dresser I've been to many times. My main hope now is that the slightly lighter color on top won't fade too much. I think it's pretty inevitable, but since I've had the color that's now on top underneath before, I know that after about four months I'll only really begin to see the red.

Before:

n514885420_1899148_4190.jpgn882830382_3133245_8195.jpg

After:

10-01-09_1043.jpg10-01-09_1051.jpg

Well i was talking about in general... foil and bleach do have a chemical reaction :o if you ever leave those to together. XD and i was talking about metals.... and for EXTENDED amount of time xD =bad results :o You'd be surpise how many ppl don't follow the rules for bleaching... they completely ignore the time limit. so it's all on them lol but i fyou do follow metal+bleach is harmless xD LOL

Yes, it can create chemical reaction if you use the aliminum foil like the ones in your kitchen. The foil that is formulated for professional hairdressers is thinner. Anyways, I've been using the regular foil and my hair is fine. :rolleyes:

Guest fujichan

WORTH IT?: - sure, it was fun while it lasted :]

Natural Hair type: brown w/natural reddish blondish strands, straight

Hair History: -it's changed a lot in the last two years..

Highlights: don't really do highlights...mostly 'sections'

Dyed: red/purple, blue/black, purple/blue, red/blonde, black, reddish black

Hair color Before: darkbrown/brown

Hair color After: right now it's black and reddish brown

Bleach?: twice, but only the front sections

Hair Dye: lots of manic panic and loreal

Price: - pretty cheap...colors were about $8 a bottle, natural colors were $5

Changes:my hair is still pretty healthy, probably because i stopped bleaching parts of it

Comments: I'm still trying to figure out the best color for me...I might go back to a reddish brown (somewhere around my natural color) for a bit :]

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled2-2.jpg

pics are small...so you cant see the dates. started summer of 06-ended present :] pretty much went from natural->red/purple->purple/blue->blue black(no pic)->black->black with red/blonde streak->black->reddish brown (which is barely visible on top of the black anyway XD)

Guest Mikichin

WORTH IT?: - YES/NO/KIND OF... - Defiantly worth it =D

Natural Hair type:

- fine/course - Fine Like super fine

- straight/curly - Straight

- short/medium/long hair - Longish?

- etc.

-Virgin/Dyed ___ times (if so, what color and process, etc.) - Virgin hair dyed twice

-Natural/Permed - natural

-etc.

Hair color Before: - color before - Dark brown

IMG_7587.jpg

Hair color After: - color after - Hazelnut brown - (When i first dyed it, it was like this bright orange... Then I went darker)

IMG_8268.jpg

Bleach?: - yes/no -

Hair Dye: - brand, shade, etc. - Palty

Price: - $ - 22

Changes:

- Damage? None

- Texture change? It got softer ... my hair is shiner and softer ahhaha

Description: - Okay Dont do what I did but I will tell u want i did. I first got Palty Vanilla Beige and Dyed it with that but it WAS SUPER BRIGHT ORANGE (to me) So I, then, that night dyed it with palty vanilla beige mixed with mens blood ash. It is supposivly bad of the hair but mine is fine but I would not recommend it... But I like my color now haha

Comments: - LOTS OF CONDITIONER! especially on the root, after dying hair you have to be careful and it was recommended to me that if i want to have healthy hair i should put lots of conditioner on, so i do and my hair is great =D Sorry for the big pic D=

• 2 weeks later...

WORTH IT?: For now.. not really.. hopefully.. it'll be more noticeable in the morning.

Natural Hair type: Thick, wavy, medium-short.

Hair History: Virgin. Last time I had it highlighted was like 4/5 years ago and I cut it all off already.

Hair color Before: Jet black... like not Asian black brown, but jet black.

Hair color After: 1st attempt was using friend's leftoever reddish brown Garnier dye... >_> Didn't show 'cept a few hairs were a bit dark, dark brown. I dyed it a second time with different dye within a week :X I know it's supposed to be bad >_> but I thought the dye didn't work anyways (because it showed it a lot better for my friends hair).

Now it's supposed to be blue black, whole head. >_> I can't tell 'cause I dyed it in the afternoon so I didn't get to see it in sunlight.. so far it just looks black @_@ like my normal hair.

Bleach?: no

Hair Dye: First is Garnier Reddish Brown (bangs only), then it was this Korean brand Blue Black (whole head).

Price: Garnier was leftover.. so free >_>. Korean brand was $12.

Changes: No damage or texture change. It still smells a little o.o.

Description: First time with leftover Garnier - I put whatever was left onto my bangs and let it sit for 30 min and rinse, no shampoo and just conditioner.

Second time with Korean hair dye - My mom took a lot of time and went layer by layer going from ends to roots and then AFTER that I let it sit for 40 minutes. Rinsed it out, shampooed, and used conditioner in the box (as directed by instructions).

Comments: - Several people couldn't tell I dyed my bangs the first time. You had to hold like a few separate hairs up to the light to even see it. >_> I am waiting for tomorrow morning for the results of the second one, but it doesn't look blue indoors.. that's for sure. I'm not sure if it's even blacker >_> It looks.. the same as before XD

Guest EHNerJI

WORTH IT?: - YES/NO/KIND OF... - i think so XD all the times.

Natural Hair type:

- in-between

- wavy-ish

- medium

-dyed.. idk how many times X: around 10 maybe? D:

-(straight) permed like twice XD

Hair color Before: -attempts to find one- LOL.

well, i had like hi-lights here, and it's crappy lighting haha XD

but yeah, this was beforeee i dyed my hair.

naturally, dark brown. btw, my hair was styled for grad X: XD

000mecolor1.jpg

Hair color After:

i went to a brown with a reddish tint, some people didn't notice much of a difference, though =.=

000mecolor2.jpg

then, i went for more of a purple tint XD

000mecolor3.jpg

went more red, and coloured the bottom black

000mecolor4.jpg

better lighting, but you can't see the black.. o.o;

000mecolor5.jpg

got tired of the red and decided to go dark brown w/ purple tint in light

but, it ended up going red again >_>;

-the day that i got it dyed-

000mecolor6.jpg

& now... it's getting more red cuz my color before > : (

but, it's more purple than it is blue.. that's the reflection of my screen =.=

000mecolor7.jpg

Bleach?: - nope

Hair Dye: - l'oreal color pulse - electric black (my current shade)

the rest was done at my salon so i'm not sure..

cuz we normally mixed colors and such xD

Price: - $ - varies, but color pulse is pretty cheap xD

Changes:

- Damage? not really

- Texture change? naww.

i just followed the directions on the box, so no comment really XD

just that it was so purple when washing out LOL.

ehh sorry, too many pics =.= LOL. -dies-

Archived