Song Hye Kyo 송혜교 Hyebaragi ~Upcoming Movie 2024: Dark Nuns /Upcoming Drama 2024:Show Business/Special Appearance Drama 2025: Everything Will Come True

Peachypie

This article, I read it few months ago, when Cannes taken place. don't know if you read it. I think I should post here

Terence Chang on the journey of The Crossing

By Kevin Ma
http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/ter ... ney-of-the-crossing
terence_chang_zps5e4c14bd.jpg

Terence CHANG 張家振, the longtime producing partner of John WOO 吳宇森, talks to Film Business Asia about his personal history behind The Crossing 太平輪, censorship and converting the film to 3-D.

Because of the sinking of the Taiping in the film, the film has been called the Chinese Titanic. Do you mind?
I don't mind the comparison, because Titanic (1997) is not the only film with a ship sinking. Life of Pi (2012) also has a ship sinking. Our film's [Chinese] title may be named after the boat, but it's not literal. The Taiping serves as a symbol of something. The boat used to travel back and forth between Mainland China and Taiwan. When the boat sank in 1949, that link was separated.

The boat is meant to bring out a story about Chinese people. Not just those in the Mainland or in Taiwan, but all Chinese people in the generation before me. The boat is a symbol. The story doesn't entirely take place on the boat, because the boat actually sank soon after it left Shanghai. It's just the story of the people on it. It's about why these people got on the boat and why it was overloaded. The sinking doesn't occupy much of the story.

About the "link" you mentioned, did you want to say something about the modern link between Mainland China, Taiwan and Hong Kong?

Actually, I developed the story with my writer WANG Hui-ling 王蕙玲 because I have a family member who died during the sinking of the Taiping. So, when Wang told me that she wanted to write about this story, I said yes immediately. My parents also fled Shanghai at that time, but they went to Hong Kong instead. This is a very typical story for people in that generation.

The scale of the film seems very much like a classical Hollywood film. Is that something John Woo was aiming for?
This is a Chinese story, but the director's way of expression is very much an international one, as in he's not just making it for a Chinese audience. Since this is a story about love and hope, it has universally accepted values. He wasn't just aiming for a Chinese audience, nor is he trying to imitate Hollywood.

Will you be creating a two-and-a-half hour version of the film for international markets again, as you had done for Red Cliff?
The film is still in the editing room, but we have three love stories in the film, so it can't be told in just two hours. The Asian market and even some European markets have asked for the film to be released in two parts. Some regions have also requested a shorter, single-film version.

Red Cliff 赤壁 (2008) was based on history, with a lot of well-known characters. I personally had wanted some of the story or characters to be taken out of the film, because I was dealing with audiences who were not familiar with Romance of the Three Kingdoms. If I had put everything and everyone into a two-and-a-half-hour film, that would've exhausted the audience. Some international audience didn't fully understand the film because they weren't familiar with the history.

The Crossing is different. It's an emotional, humanistic story, so it's much easier to edit it down.

The director said in an interview that the censorship authorities requested certain changes to characters, is that true?
John had already been working on the script for a year before he fell ill, but that script had trouble passing censorship because there was a difference in perspectives. To those of us in Hong Kong and Taiwan, people fled Mainland China due to the civil war between the Communist Party and the Nationalist Party. However, the Chinese officials disagreed with that point of view. They didn't see it as a civil war, but rather a war of liberation that needed to be fought. So, the people should've stayed to support the new government. This difference in ideology caused the censorship process to drag on for a year.

At the same time, there are some events in the film that were put in because they really happened, not because of censorship. For example, there really were Nationalist Party members who converted to the Communist Party because of corruption in the Nationalist Party. In the end, the script passed.

What were some of the new challenges you faced in making this film?
This film was far more difficult to make than Red Cliff. That film was based on a story many people were familiar with, and we shot the whole film in Hebei Province. This film took us to a lot of locations. We went to Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, Inner Mongolia, and we shot in several places in Taiwan as well. We also had more than 1,000 special effect shots.

We hired a foreign crew for special effects because we needed to work at an international standard. We've hired the German company who did Hugo (2011) and Oblivion for the ship sinking sequence.

We're also converting the film to 3-D. We think that this film is a natural fit because the shots are not quick to the point of making people dizzy. The director has created very complex, lyrical shots that would look fantastic in 3-D. A lot of people think action looks great in 3-D, but the editing is so quick that the films actually make people feel exhausted.

With so many locations, was the filming process smooth?
It actually wasn't so smooth due to weather issues. When we were shooting in Taiwan last December, we ran into constant rain in Taipei. So we were not able to get much footage. When we were shooting in the south, the wind was so heavy that people couldn't stand still. So the weather really hurt us.

We had a two-month break for New Year holidays in January and February. If you take out those two months, the production period was about nine to ten months.

What changes in the Chinese film industry has you seen over the years?
The market has grown considerably compared to the time of Red Cliff. The two films made a combined RMB600 million (US$96.1 million). That figure would be a lot bigger now. Also, with the market becoming bigger, we've had to rely less on foreign crew members since local crew members are now very competent.

Would you or Woo consider returning to Hong Kong?
I don't think Woo will return. The stories he wants to tell are mainly for the Chinese-speaking markets now because his films cost more. The Hong Kong film industry can't bear the cost. But I know that many people miss his Hong Kong gunplay films. As for myself, my expertise is making Chinese-language films that can travel to the rest of the world. Quite frankly, I wouldn't know how to make a film for China. Red Cliff, The Crossing and even Reign of Assassins 劍雨 (2010) traveled abroad. But if there are region-specific stories that I'm really interested in, I would be interested in doing them. But most of the time, I'm going to make Chinese films for the world.

And Hollywood?
I still have a company in Los Angeles. There are a few projects in development there. I've worked really hard to build that company up, so I'm not going to give it up.

Is there a huge difference between working in Hollywood and China?
Of course there is a huge difference. Hollywood has a very sound, robust system, so it's more relaxing. Each studio has a department for everything, so I didn't have to handle everything myself. They're more professional. I had a harder time on The Crossing.

What's next for Woo?
He has a few films planned. Flying Tigers 飛虎群英 is still in script stage, but the financing is already secured. There's also a western crime film that's mostly set in Japan. Those are the two most likely projects at the moment.

Do you have any advice for Asian film-makers looking to go to Hollywood?
I think the most important thing is to make sure you make the film in the most suitable place. Don't just go to Hollywood for the sake of going to Hollywood. It's good if you have the ability to go to Hollywood, but the most important thing is to just make a good film.

Ohhhhh...Baby Areum looks so cute  and especially in that white and Black stars clothes...he looks like KDW with bigger eyes  :P
No wonder....KDW is thinking of marriage now.....what do you expect????? A beautiful wife (SHK) and a Beautiful baby .... will definitely make you wish...isn't it :)>-

putriN

said:

^hihello On'Life, warm welcome here   :)

thank you for the nice post.... wishing all the best for MPL , hope it does well at the BO  [-O<

it's a good start as a record-breaker hits on the day the stills are released......but I guess, it's not what Kyo expected reading from the excerpts from one of her interviews in Cannes -

She added, “We worked hard filming. If expectations are too high then disappointment is also big, so I hope expectations are moderate. She predicted, “It seems it will be released in the fall.”

Guest queenmaria85

hello newbie here im such a huge fan of shk since AIM..ive watched all her kdramas..im happy coz she's still on the top of her career until now..i would say she's the most beautiful and wonderful korean actress..when it comes to her personal life whoever she choose to be with in the future i will support her 100%.. :-*

Guest sunflower91

Somebody tweeted about this::
Song Hye Kyo certainly deserves the second place among the most popular sexy Korean stars of 2014. http://pinterest.com/pin/460000549413141783/ 
and after checking out this top 10 thing, SHK landed on the 2nd spot on  top10lines.com , though in her 30s she still managed to placed 2nd (1st place was Im Nana whose only in her 20s and a popular Kpop Idol) and of course for us fans , she's always number 1 in any countdown.
class="title single-title" style="margin: 10px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: Gudea; font-size: 26px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.1; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(0, 114, 198); clear: both; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Top 10 most sexy Korean Female Stars in 2014
Here is our list of the sexiest Korean stars in 2014.:
Song Hye Kyo

Song Hye Kyo certainly deserves the second place among the most popular sexy Korean stars of 2014. The actress got many fans and she is famous for her television drama movies such as “Autumn In My Heart”, “Full House”, and “The Winter The Wind Blows”. In her acting drama roles Song Hye Kyo charms the audiences with her naturalness talent and her acting passion. The actress has a playful character by nature, which is part of her sex appeal. Song Hye Kyo’s success and the public’s admiration bring her many advertising offers as well. The actress’s look is definitely hot and sexy, and for this reason we choose her on the second place of our list.

http://www.top10lines.com/top-10-most-sexy-korean-female-stars-in-2014/

Hallyu stars featured in Chinese movies

photo464005_zps4d8aa7d2.jpg

Hallyu stars are making it big in the Chinese film and drama industry.

For the past few years, Hallyu stars have been appearing in Chinese dramas, but it's been a common thing for them to appear in movies as well.

Drama casting is an important factor as it has everything to do with viewing percentage, but in films, ticket sales affect the success of the movie.

Like Hollywood cast Lee Byung-hun and Rain to target the Asian market, it seems like China shares a common purpose for doing the same.

The show biz calls this the 'win-win strategy'.

- Song Hye-kyo, Son Tae-yeong, Lim Soo-hyang, Choi Si-won, Park Si-hoo and others

Song Hye-kyo is the most active Hallyu star in Chinese movies.

She stepped into the international world by starring in "The Grand Master" with Zhang Zi Yi, a film that was introduced at the Berlin International Film Festival last year. Song Hye-kyo's name was mentioned while introducing the cast at the event while she was with three other Chinese actors and actresses.

Song Hye-kyo then continued onto the movie "The Crossing" with Zhang Chen and Zhang Zi Yi. She attended The Cannes International Film Festival with them. This movie will be released in China this winter.

Being chosen by worldwide directors like Leung Chiu Wei and John Woo, Song Hye-kyo is currently targeting the Chinese and International markets and will be filming her third Chinese movie soon.

Unlike the fact that her first two Chinese movies were stories in the past, Song Hye-kyo's third Chinese movie based in a best seller called "I Am Queen", is a modern play.

Son Tae-yeong and Lim Soo-hyang also have been chosen as leading roles in Chinese movies.

Son Tae-yeong has completed filming the Chinese movie "Justice War" which will be released at the end of the year. She was also invited to the Shanghai International Film Festival last year.

Lim Soo-hyang stars in "Love Of Sea", a Chinese fantasy movie and will be attending the preview conference being held in China this month.

Amongst Chinese stars, kwon Sang-woo starred in Jackie Chan's movie "The Chinese Zodiacs". Others are Super Junior's Choi Si-won, Ji Jin-hee, Park Si-hoo and others. Choi Si-won is appearing in "Wind" and Ji Jin-hee in "Two Cities". Park Si-hoo is looking forward to the release of "Scent".

- Hallyu stars bring synergy...China is going to Hollywood

Like Hollywood plans on casting influential Hallyu stars to bring up profits in the Asian Market, China is also doing the same. They are looking at expansion of market.

There's one more reason to be looked at. The plan is to make Chinese movies seem better with Hallyu stars in them.

Kim Hyo-jin from Son Tae-yeong's agency claims, "Movie makers think their movies have quality when Hallyu stars make an appearance".

"As Hallyu rises everything from fashion to make-up and lifestyle is being put in the spotlight. With Korean actresses in their movies, China thinks there's an improvement in the movie's overall style.

This is why China seeks for Korean stars as their supporting or main roles.

Kim Hyo-jin continued, "Chinese movies are dubbed anyway, so there's no difficulty in the language".

Lim Soo-hyang's agency director Kim Gwan-min said, "There's a lot of attention brought to Korean stars in China. The reason Lim Soo-hyang was cast for a Chinese movie is because they expect a synergy affect in this Hallyu boom".

There are also two reasons why Korean stars appear in Chinese movies. The pay is higher in China than it is in Korea and they know that they Chinese Market will soon lead to the international market.

A manager said, "They get paid about twice as much. That's why many prefer to star in Chinese movies".

However, it's not always for the money. Top stars look further ahead.

One particular star said, "Hollywood has been eyeing Chinese stars even before casting Hallyu stars. That's because the Chinese market is big and so is the Chinese population all over the world".

That means China has a lot of market to cover. Through Chinese movies, not only can Korean stars become bigger in China, but internationally, into Hollywood.

Source : news.nate.com/view/20...

http://www.hancinema.net/hallyu-stars-featured-in-chinese-movies-71550.html

July 23, 2014
S. Korean stars thrive in Chinese films
Source: YonhapNews
SEOUL, July 23 (Yonhap) -- A growing number of Chinese film studios are casting influential South Korean stars in what appears to be an effort to reach out to a wider Asian audience who love Korean pop culture.
Several South Korean movie stars have recently been chosen for lead and supporting roles in Chinese films, a departure from the past when their roles were largely limited to television dramas.
Industry insiders said this is a sign that the Chinese film industry began to pay attention to ticket selling powers of South Korean stars amid the Asia-wide popularity of Korean soap operas, films and pop music, a phenomenon known as hallyu.
Leading the pack is Song Hye-kyo, who debuted in the global market with the Chinese film "Legend of Yip Man" directed by Wang Gawi in 2013. Co-starring Tony Leung and Zhang Ziyi, the film opened that year's Berlin International Film Festival.
Song later joined the cast of director John Woo's "The Crossing" with Chang Chen and Zhang Ziyi. The 3-D epic drama film is set to open in China this winter.
AEN20140723003700315_01_i.jpg
South Korean actress Song Hye-kyo (Yonhap)
Based on the successes in working with two of China's most renowned filmmakers, Song was recently cast as a lead actress for "I Am the Queen," a film adaptation of a best-selling Chinese book by the same name.
Actresses Son Tae-young and Im Soo-hyang have followed in Song's footsteps, as they have been selected by Chinese filmmakers seeking new faces.
Son recently finished filming "Love War," a romantic comedy, as the lead actress. She was invited to the closing ceremony of the Shanghai International Film Festival last month to promote the film.
Im is scheduled to attend a news conference in eastern China's Shandong Province next week to promote a 3-D Chinese fantasy film in which she played a lead role.
Among male stars, Kwon Sang-woo starred in a 2012 Hong Kong-Chinese action film, written and directed by Jackie Chan who also stars in the movie. Choi Si-won, a member of popular South Korean boy band Super Junior, and actors Ji Jin-hee and Park Si-hoo have been recently cast for Chinese films.
Industry watchers said Chinese studios' recent rush to court Korean stars can be understood in the same context as Hollywood studios' hiring of influential hallyu stars like actor Lee Byung-hun and singer Rain to garner more sales in the Asian movie markets.
In addition, Chinese producers want to use the polished image of Korean stars, especially actresses, for their films as Korean clothing, hair and makeup styles are in such a boom in China riding the Korean Wave, as hallyu is sometimes called, they said.
"The Chinese film industry is paying great attention to Korean stars these days," Kim Gwan-min, head of Im's management agency, InHouse Entertainment, told Yonhap News Agency. "We think Im was able to be cast for a lead role in a Chinese film because the Chinese side wanted to see a synergistic effect through the use of Korean stars."
   South Korean stars also have reasons to advance to the Chinese movie market, they said. One is higher pay than in South Korea and the other is an expectation that the Chinese market can become a path to reach out to a wider audience in the world.
According to sources in the local entertainment industry, South Korean stars receive at least double the amount they are paid at home for appearing in Chinese movies.
"The appearance fee for Chinese films and television dramas is more than twice the amount in South Korea. That's why the rush of South Korean stars advancing to the Chinese market continues," a manager of a Korean star said, requesting not to be named.
Money, however, is not the only factor behind the move for those who look further down the road.
"Hollywood has long had their eyes on Chinese stars before they began to cast Korean stars. That's because the Chinese-language speaking markets around the world are so big," a Korean actor said on condition of anonymity.
"This means Chinese films target a very wide audience in the world. So I expect Korean players can, through Chinese movies, advance to ethnic-Chinese markets throughout the world, as well as China, and even farther into Hollywood, using their successes there as a stepping stone," he added.

^ Thanks sunflower91, rubylia and rubie dearies for awsome reports :x :x

In this pic are Mr.Trans, Takeshi and Kyo. This pic was posted yesterday (on 22nd)
nahiii.jpg
005zDMfnjw1eilkdzfenvj30xc18gwz6.jpg
weibo
Takeshi is in the middle of two other persons in the red circle.

Can you see Mr. Trans? He is in the suit, He is standing right next to the car in order to waiting for Kyo to get out of the car. You can see Kyo's head and her hair in the car. She is preparing for getting off.
He he, so it's mean Kyo and Takeshi shooted together :x :x

You can see more clearly if zooming in the pic :D

Edit: I think Fans are like detectives :))

That car's number  plate is 6513, right? It was used when The crossing was filmed in Taiwan in December last year. I think both Kyo and Takeshi used it. Therefore, there is certain conection with the car

Some pics of the car:
When Kyo filming there:
26d458c9052e19a4d335ea03c1d318db.jpg
9f3a1f30e924b899182cff4c6c061d950a7bf6b1.jpg
d23a0cd7912397ddfc6ffb715b82b2b7d0a287b7.jpg.png
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2434965441?pn=22

26d458c9052e19a4d335ea03c1d318db.jpg
77de3c264cf7fc88ce45c0ea40041ad6.jpg

MPL will be release in CJ CGV cinemas on September 15th and be greeted in Seoul Seoul Film Festival on September 24 ?
30000398375_700.jpg
http://www.metroseoul.co.kr/news/newsview?newscd=2014072300072

Other reports have just been posted
mkgfd.png

CJ CGV(Hangeul: CJ CGV(씨제이 씨지브이)㈜)is the largest multiplex cinema chain in South Korea, and also has branches in China and United States. CGV takes its name from the first letter of the three words; Cultural, Great and Vital. Its chain includes 85 sites, 681 screens and 100 thousand seats in Korea.

Guest lionel1430292475

Hellooowww Chingu..Long time i didn't visit this thread. And i'm little bit to late updating SHK news, i'm still curious about MPL do you know when the movies premiere? and i'm very excited who will attend VIP premiere and the more exited is when SHK and KDW press conference. Oh i've read in some media there are rumours between them right? but their agency denied. Honestly i'm so happy when i read that, because finally SHK found the best man for her, but unfortunately thats just a rumours. But honestly it just lil bit fishy about their relationship, 
From his recent interview regarding love and marriage...
"He said he would never go public with his relationship. It's not easy to talk about his love life and he doesn't know why he must talk about it?
Even if he has girlfriend or not, he would answer he doesn't have. Because he hate to tell lie to people
"Regarding marriage, "He still doesn't understand. He said in his 20s he never thought about marriage. But recently, he started to think about it. Lot of people around him have their own kids. Even Yoon Jong Bin director said when he had children, many things changed."
He also continues, "When he imagined in his 50s, there's no one who welcome him home, it feels lonely. At this time, he thought that he need to get married. But he doesn't think about it specifically yet"
(Source : asiae.co.kr) And also in some interview he mention about SHK about MPL, Kang Dong Won said "Song Hye Gyo had already signed up for the movie before I was offered, so I became interested when I learned she was going to do it. I asked for the scenario because I was curious, and I liked the story, which brought me here."

He added, "I'd like to thank her for making my casting possible." (Source:High Cut)

Curious maybe SHK practice with him and he interested??  :-w

Guest sunflower91

Loving all the updates on SHK on this thread including the continued filming of "The Crossing" and about the release of MPL movie courtesy of freshspring . hope we'll have the schedule for the MPL presscon and its VIP premiere soon which for sure we are all looking forward to  aside from the release of its official movie trailer , definitely there will be pictures galore again  and more interviews to watch out for!
The Korea Herald also features the article from Yonhap news about S Korean stars in Chinese films and like the portion of the article featuring SHK that is reflective of her top Hallyu star status in China:
"" Leading the pack is Song Hye-kyo, who debuted in the global market with the Chinese film "Legend of Yip Man" directed by Wang Gawi in 2013. Co-starring Tony Leung and Zhang Ziyi, the film opened that year's Berlin International Film Festival.

Song later joined the cast of director John Woo's "The Crossing" with Chang Chen and Zhang Ziyi. The 3-D epic drama film is set to open in China this winter.   

Based on the successes in working with two of China's most renowned filmmakers, Song was recently cast as a lead actress for "I Am the Queen," a film adaptation of a best-selling Chinese book by the same name

Actresses Son Tae-young and Im Soo-hyang have followed in Song's footsteps, as they have been selected by Chinese filmmakers seeking new faces."""

Well for me it doesnt matter if she'll be doing more Chinese films as long as we can see her in a good production , if Korea cant give her a good project , we cant blame her if she'll be accepting more Chinese films. Besides the fact the it will cater to a wider market and an opportunity to work with Chinese top stars and directors,  a big fat paycheck also awaits her. 
Nice to know also that her current talent management agency is under the flagship of a top S Korean entertainment firm  and here's an article wherein we can say that SHK is in good hands :
class="news_title" style="font-size: 3em; direction: ltr; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.1; color: rgb(31, 31, 31); margin: -3px 0px 0px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, Tahoma, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"S Korean entertainment firm makes stellar debut on Catalist

SINGAPORE: Shares of Spackman Entertainment Group made a stellar debut on the Catalist board on Tuesday (July 22). It is the first Korean entertainment firm to be listed in Singapore.

The counter started the day at 38.5 cents per share, much higher than its Initial Public Offering (IPO) price of 26 cents. It then hit an intraday high of 48.5 cents before finally settling for the session at 46.5 cents - a jump of 78 per cent.

It was also one of the most actively-traded stocks on Tuesday with more than 128 million shares changing hands. Spackman Entertainment Group is a South Korean film producer and its hits include the 2013 action thriller Snowpiercer. The company plans to use the IPO proceeds to invest in film productions and expand its operations.

Charles C Spackman, chairman and CEO of Spackman Group, said: "For us, we will balance between producing the film and also investing into the film - in producing the film we don't have financial risk, and on the investment side, if the movies don't do well, you will lose money. For us, we balance this so that we can optimise the upside in the case that our films do well and also mitigate the risk on the downside in case it doesn't do well."

Apart from its core business, Spackman Entertainment Group also distributes foreign films in Korea and invests actively in the entertainment industry, including a talent management agency representing South Korean actress Song Hye-kyo. 

- CNA/nd

Continue to shine brightly SHK , we'll always support you!

photo-ONADGSW19O9V

Guest sunflower91

Childhood photos of the lovely SHK always gain a lot of attention for her pure and beautiful image even as a little girl! Her bright face, milky skin, and beauty have not faded over the years, truly a natural beauty! 
Here's a collection of  'Song Hye Kyo's Childhood Photos'
photo-5TOEHJ8CJ8RI
photo-7YWGFCKRXLSG

Guest queenmaria85

awwww she's sooo cute :x ^:)^ ^:)^ thanks for all the update of our queen ^:)^just wanna ask if there's any news on her next korean project?coz i want to see her again in a romcom drama missed her role in fullhouse :-* :x