[movie 2004] Taegukgi : The Brotherhood Of War 태극기 휘날리

Guest chibikko

this movie was soo good

i cried soo much

it was a very moving movie

me and my sister are kinda close so when i saw the borther die i was soo damn sad i just cried.

and won bin was amazing in that movie.

hes a good actor :)

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest valmylove

it's cool... this have a thread too.. am glad i found it... i have not finished yet but i watche the trailer and was crying alrdy... i think it hit close to home as the soundtrack and the character's acting combine will have u on a rollercoaster emotion ride. I loved WOn Bin in Autumn's Tale and just watch KJD in All about eve... so I decied to watch this moive ... beside I wasn['t too fond of war movies/dramas either.

but so far so good!

• 1 month later...

i watched this when i was about 15 and i remember shaking to pieces. the entire movie traumatized me, especially the train scene (SO SAD) and all the way to the most gruesome maggot scene.

oh but wonbin is hot in this movie

i watched this when i was about 15 and i remember shaking to pieces. the entire movie traumatized me, especially the train scene (SO SAD) and all the way to the most gruesome maggot scene.

oh but wonbin is hot in this movie

Hi lea - ye, couldn't agree with you more - he's really hot in this movie, the same thing with JDG, he looks great, too, Actually, I'm not into war movies but I like this film . I find this really very good. I watched it because of both of them. Gosh, the movie was with 2-best actors from Korea. :lol::)

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest Dina Ciccone

Tae-guk-gi-The-Brotherhood-of-War.jpg

Hands down one of the best war movies I have ever seen! 
And I actually like War movies, so have seen quite a few. And this film is in my top 5! It's also really popular amongst American war movie fans too. I see this movie mentioned often on the internet outside of Kpop/movie circles. 
Jang Dong gun and Won Bin seriously prove here why they are some of Korea's best actors. Such great chemistry between the two. wow

• 3 months later...

January 10, 2014
Kang Je-gyu Ranked Among World's Most Murderous Directors
The ChosunIlbo
U.S. magazine Business Insider has released a list of the 25 deadliest directors of all time based on the MovieBodyCounts database developed by Randal Olson, a graduate student of Michigan State University. The list, compiled by tallying the number of on-screen deaths in their movies, includes "Swiri" director Kang Je-gyu.
2014011000893_0.jpg

Kang placed 11th with 509 kills. The magazine wrote that he is "really only on the map because of one film, 'Taegukgi: Brotherhood of War' (2004), a bloody film about the Korean War that averages 50 people dying per scene." 
Peter Jackson topped the list with 1,517 kills, mostly in "The Lord of the Rings" series. John Woo, director of "A Better Tomorrow," ranked second with 1,500 kills, with the majority occurring in films he made from 1987 to 2002. Robert Rodriguez, who directed the vampire flick "From Dusk til Dawn," placed third with 1,026 deaths. 
Edward Zwick was fourth (1,003 deaths), followed by Wolfgang Petersen (889), Zack Snyder (808), Ridley Scott (781), Sergio Leone (748), Antoine Fuqua (711) and Steven Spielberg (707). 
Randal Olson also released the 25 deadliest actors list. Arnold Schwarzenegger ranked first with a career total of 369 kills, followed by China's Chow Yun-fat (295) and Sylvester Stallone (267).

• 1 year later...

February 25, 2015
Korean film via stamps -- 'TaeGukGi: Brotherhood Of War'
Source: Korea.net
The film "TaeGukGi: Brotherhood Of War" is about two brothers who are swept away in a gruesome war and end up fighting on opposite sides. The film, set during the Korean War (1950-1953), was released on February 25, 2004. It was a landmark in the history of Korean cinema, setting a record in ticket sales. 
Kang Je-kyu directed "TaeGukGi," five years after making his film "Swiri" in 1999, which also saw record-setting ticket sales. Jang Dong-gun starred as Jin-tae and Won Bin played the younger brother, Jin-seok. 
taegeukgi-150225-1.jpg
'TaeGukGi: Brotherhood Of War' (2004) is directed by Kang Je-kyu and produced by Kang Je-kyu Film.
In June 1950, Jin-tae, who lives in Jongno District in downtown Seoul, is about to marry his fiancée, Young-shin, played by Lee Eun-ju. He tries to help his brother Jin-seok enter college. He lives a happy life, though it is not easy to make a living. 
The Korean War breaks out and Jin-tae flees to Daegu along with Young-shin and Jin-seok. Upon arriving at Daegu Station to catch the train, Jin-seok is forcibly conscripted by soldiers and boards a military train. Jin-tae tries to bring his brother back, but he ends up on the same military train as he has also been forcibly conscripted. 
After their conscription, the two brothers are sent to fight in the battle of the Nakdonggang River. Meanwhile, Young-shin is captured by anti-communist militia and is executed after she is wrongly accused of having helped the North Korean army. Jin-tae comes to believe that Jin-seok is also killed by the South Korean army, and he later joins the North Korean army and becomes a commanding officer. Realizing what has happened, Jin-seok returns to the battle front and confronts his brother after many twists and turns, but Jin-tae dies in battle. Some 50 years later, Jin-seok cries after finding Jin-tae's remains. 
The film set many records. It cost KRW 14.7 billion to make, a huge amount of money at the time. Some 25,000 extras were employed and 20,000 military uniforms were used. On its opening day, 324,000 people came to see the movie, beating the previous record of 301,000 for "Silmido," and rewrote Korean film history. The number of screens showing it on opening day was 430, exceeding that of the Lord of the Rings movies. 
By Limb Jae-unKorea.net Staff WriterPhotos: Korea Post jun2@korea.kr 

Archived