Choi Jin Hyuk 최진혁 [Current SBS Variety Show]'My Little Old Boy'; [completed MBC Drama 2023] "Numbers"; [Upcoming JTBC 2024 Drama]"She Is Different Day and Night 낮과 밤이 다른 그녀"

booha

On 3/16/2019 at 12:47 AM, booha said:

The scene where CJH is saying yes to a million won offering revealed to me something about human weakness.  Look at CJH’s spilt second expression. 

I really like watching that gif..His reaction is so funny.

I have these two gifs about the scene.  I felt Sunny had a resentful expression.  Maybe she felt humiliated and at the same time furious. We know Sunny has a strong mind. She thought she put herself in the situation and let her bodyguard, a stranger, see what happened.   At the time she didn’t know WB knew about LH and MYR.  But WB knew Sunny from the beginning when he thought Sunny was a mindless girl chasing an emperor.  Then he learned how LH felt and treated Sunny.   He knew what it felt like to be stomped on by the person he loved.  

@booha Thanks for the gifs..I made some but they've watermarks. :(

Of course Sunny was furious at Woo Bin at that time. Because he was present in almost in all the time LH humiliated her. Even when at her supposed first night with Emperor she was stood up and MY came and said emperor was busy and Sunny reacted strongly when Woo Bin looked at her.

TeNywj.gif

When she first met her formally, that was also a moment of embarrassment for her because she was bragging to her father that Emperor took care of her despite being busy!

LbjxsC.gif

So Woo Bin was there in all of her distressing moment so she felt the embarrassment and humiliated when her husband left her chamber angrily right in front of the bodyguard. That's why she expressed her anger when he carried her to her chamber.

lqoV9I.gif

There were  a lot of layers and nuances in these two characters.  You posted one scene where Sunny and WB are having a chat in such a nonchalant way.  Underneath their stone faces, one can feel they care about each other.
 I have a feeling that the writer didn’t write for that scene but one of her assistants wrote it. It’s because the lines carry such a suggestive tone.   Whereas the writer’s writing sounds very bland except for noisy cussing.    I feel the writer doesn’t know how to create a good character.  All other characters on the good side, like LY appear to be flat two dimensional in contrast to the villains.   I know Sunny and WB had a lot of potential and in the right hand they would have become such a memorable drama couple.

The Scene scraps I posted says a lot, don't they? Sunny-Woobin shared many deeper and meaningful moment than all LH&Sunny pretend date combined. I can go on and on about them. Their subtle but evident love story is so precious. Even though the writer tried flipping the story she couldn't undo what's already there, could she?

giphy.gif

:wub:

giphy.gif

@Hannah Truong and @booha,

Spoiler

I believe Sunny-Woo Bin was the main couple all along but writer had a second thought in the middle of the drama. She thought of  giving some more focus to the villains because people seemed to be enjoying them. Then after few more episode she thought let's remove the definite focus on the mail love line-"let's it make vague." Then at the extension time she thought let's focus on Lee Hyuk-Sunny Couple now... But she couldn't do that extensively because of how messed up LH's character already was and also it was more unnatural because of sudden disappearance of NWS. The transition of Sunny-LH wouldn't have been smooth no matter how much lovey dovey scene they put together. That's why she couldn't explore the idea of Sunny-Hyuk properly even though Wang Shik was out of the story. That's why they had to make an epilogue.. 

I know I'm speculating but I've my reasons.

Any potential for redeeming LH was destroyed when LH choked Sunny just like he did So Hyun and forced kissed Sunny at later episode. Why'd the writer do that to a character who was supposed to be love Interest of female lead aka Sunny.

Also till the last episode of Wang Shik's appearance he delivered some strong words to LH which very strongly tell us about LH's fault all along- that even after everything he's not a changed person in core.

DzZ-aRDV4AAgwqG.jpg&key=9600c5cf76376f8f

DzZ-ah-UwAAdbaQ.jpg&key=81da803cac3ec651

You do not throw this type lines to the character when you want to redeem them properly.  

So I'll be saying this again the writer changed her story from time to time and that's why Sunny-Woobin' s deserved happy ending was sacrificed.

Also there's many proofs of How Woobin-Sunny was supposed to love each other.One definite proof I've already mentioned in the TLE Thread. CJH and JNR's speech on drama Awards. Also why would you sent CJH& JNR to present the Couple award when they're not supposed to be a couple!!

I think I should stop..I can't rant enough about these two. I love Suuny-Woobin together. I resent production for messing this up. :tears:

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

Also there's many proofs of How Woobin-Sunny was supposed to love each other.One definit prove I've already mentioned in the TLE Thread. CJH and JNR's speech on drama Awards. Also why would you sent CJH& JNR to present the Couple award when they're not supposed to be a couple!!

I feel you with this one! I’m still upset about what the writer did to the Sunny-WooBin couple. You can rant all you want because I absolutely feel the same way! There could have had sooo much potential with this couple. I completely agree that they were suppose to be a couple, the freaking synopsis even said they would find true love with each other! When they presented together, I thought to myself ‘Yes! They’re presenting best couple so this must mean their characters are going to end up together!” I was soooo excited for the rest of the series, but as time went on and the less time they got together, I was deeply disappointed. I went from heartbroken, to upset then to feeling angry! Sigh, I’m so unstatified. It’s like will they ever play characters who will actually end up together and have their happily ever? :bawling:

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Hannah Truong said:

I feel you with this one! I’m still upset about what the writer did to the Sunny-WooBin couple. You can rant all you want because I absolutely feel the same way! There could have had sooo much potential with this couple. I completely agree that they were suppose to be a couple, the freaking synopsis even said they would find true love with each other! When they presented together, I thought to myself ‘Yes! They’re presenting best couple so this must mean their characters are going to end up together!” I was soooo excited for the rest of the series, but as time went on and the less time they got together, I was deeply disappointed. I went from heartbroken, to upset then to feeling angry! Sigh, I’m so unstatified. It’s like will they ever play characters who will actually end up together and have their happily ever? :bawling:

Maybe a third drama is the charm? And maybe not in another cray2 makjang-fest like TLE. Haha. TLE is a special case, neither 1st and 2nd male lead got the lady since both died at the end. I seldom see drama endings with the lady being alone :sweat_smile:.

I haven't watched his other dramas other than Tunnel. But from fan comments, lots are praising CJH-JN together..i'm kinda intrigued to take a look at 'Fated to Love' because of this. Would you guys recommend Fated to Love? Is it fun?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hannah Truong said:

I feel you with this one! I’m still upset about what the writer did to the Sunny-WooBin couple. You can rant all you want because I absolutely feel the same way! There could have had sooo much potential with this couple. I completely agree that they were suppose to be a couple, the freaking synopsis even said they would find true love with each other!

Yeah.. I think we can rant time to time until we get a new drama of CJH.

5 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

I haven't watched his other dramas other than Tunnel. But from fan comments, lots are praising CJH-JN together..i'm kinda intrigued to take a look at 'Fated to Love' because of this. Would you guys recommend Fated to Love? Is it fun?

Err..Fated To Love You didn't have that much of strong impression on me. I'm not a fan of the male lead's character there also. And I forgot whether I liked watching CJH-JN together enough. But I'm assuming as I wasn't fond of male Lead's characterization, I may've liked CJH-JN's together. CJH's character there was a loyal long leg Ajushhi, so nothing to be disliked..But when you see it you know it that 'They look good and all but he's never going to have her heart." But I forgot what I actually felt. :P

As for CJH drama..I can't recommend Pride & Prejudice enough. It's a good legal drama and a bit different than usual legal dramas. I enjoyed the characters of that drama a lot. Jin Hyuk's character there "Koo Dong Chi" is very charming. :)

Devilish Joy will be good choice if you enjoy watching melo-romance. It has all those heart fluttering moments. :wub:

It's interesting how most of CJH's leading ladies are too short in comparison to him..They all look good with CJH.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

Maybe a third drama is the charm? And maybe not in another cray2 makjang-fest like TLE. Haha. TLE is a special case, neither 1st and 2nd male lead got the lady since both died at the end. I seldom see drama endings with the lady being alone :sweat_smile:.

Ooh yes, I’m hoping for a 3rd drama for theses two. Their chemistry is really out of this world for me:wub:. I would watch them in anything together even if i’ll be unstatisfied in the end. 

I would absolutely recommend FTLY. I wasn’t really disappointed with the ending because it was a remake of the Taiwan drama and knew how it was going to end. I watched becuse of Jang Hyuk, I loved him in “Windstruck” so the J-Jang couple and their characters were who i was rooting for at the time. However, along the process Choi Jin Hyuk did catch my eye and his character was just so wonderful, you could not dislike him or hate him. Don’t want to spoil too much. I was torn for a few hours on whether or not I wanted jn’s Character to end up with lee gun or Daniel Pitt lol. 

I have only watched Fated to love you, Tunnel and Emergency Couple. You can absolutely see CJH’s growth in acting from Emergency Couple to Tunnel. :love:

• Like 2

23 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

Hi katakwasabi,  "Fated To Love You" is extremely easy to fall for in its early episodes. Unfortunately, the pace slows to a crawl in the last stretch. Depending on your love &/or patience levels, your thoughts with this show as a whole is likely to vary, though.   Given my love for CJH and the positive buzz that this show received, I really wanted to love this show. There were excellent performances from the leads.  Jang Hyuk is fantastic as Lee Gun, period. Jang Na Ra is truly wonderful as Mi Young. Not as perfect as it could’ve been, but enough awesome to still be a worthy watch. I enjoyed this show. Frankly, Choi Jin Hyuk was eye candy during this series. Lee Gun and Daniel Pitt were the two peacocks of this series. Their outfits and hair were bold and beautiful, especially in the first half of the series. :lol:

• Like 2

I still can't figure out how TLE went so sideways. Even though Sunny and Woo Bin never said as much, I felt that all of their interactions/looks at each other were that of mutual understanding and love. They both knew that since she was married they couldn't do anything, but once they'd dealt with bringing down the monarchy they'd be together. But then scenes between them all but ground to halt, even before CJH left.

I also never felt that Sunny had one iota of compassion for Peyha - even in the cutesy scnes, she was always glaring at him, or trying to disguise her disgust.

I'm on board with you guys on that "Third Time is the Charm" romantic comedy with the two of them.

Just finished Tunnel last night, I was dragging it out to enjoy it for longer and I'm glad I did. I liked how it ended, though I kind of wished they'd had a quick scene, or even just a family photo on the wall in 2017 with all of them together.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sally2 said:

I still can't figure out how TLE went so sideways. Even though Sunny and Woo Bin never said as much, I felt that all of their interactions/looks at each other were that of mutual understanding and love. They both knew that since she was married they couldn't do anything, but once they'd dealt with bringing down the monarchy they'd be together. But then scenes between them all but ground to halt, even before CJH left.

I also never felt that Sunny had one iota of compassion for Peyha - even in the cutesy scnes, she was always glaring at him, or trying to disguise her disgust.

I'm on board with you guys on that "Third Time is the Charm" romantic comedy with the two of them.

Just finished Tunnel last night, I was dragging it out to enjoy it for longer and I'm glad I did. I liked how it ended, though I kind of wished they'd had a quick scene, or even just a family photo on the wall in 2017 with all of them together.

Yeah, I agree that the Sunny-WooBin coupling did screeched to a halt all of a sudden and less and less of them interacting that did not make any sense to me. Ugh! Still a little frustrated with this.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a third time and I agree a romantic comedy would be great for them.

I really enjoyed Tunnel too, omo, when he cried I cried, his character’s love for his wife and his daughter really had me. The bromance was great too, everyone’s chemistry was really on point! I loved his maekne, so loyal even after all those years. I loved the ending where he was running after a suspect and his phrase of time traveling cracked me up. My second fav drama of his and a really great option for a comeback from the military. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sally2 said:

1 hour ago, Hannah Truong said:

Yeah, I agree that the Sunny-WooBin coupling did screeched to a halt all of a sudden and less and less of them interacting that did not make any sense to me. Ugh! Still a little frustrated with this.

My personal opinion..i think if writernim made WooBin as Sunny's best friend or ex boyfriend or someone related to her before she got married it would be easier to expand their relationship, since they would have some background together. The problem with Sunny-Woobin, despite their meaningful glances and gifts and sacrifices in between, there was not much ground to expand their relationship when Sunny got married to LH. In fact the only connection between them was the emperor, followed by their revenge..but even the revenge was centered around LH. If LH was not around, Sunny might never met with Woobin at all. So...what ever happened to their relationship, in my opinion, is the effect of Woobin's initial characterization. It was too thin especially in a sea of over the top imperial family members and staff. 

Imo, if we forgo the romance part, TLE is enjoyable as is. The show is cray and they amp the cray every episode. To be a part of the drama is a good thing, to be part of a drama with high ratings is always a good thing. Plus a lot remember Bin the stoic body guard hell-bent on revenge. 

Anyways, CJH will be lead in a new KBS drama. Eventhough I don't follow his career much, I do realize he is usually the main lead and only a select 2nd lead or supporting roles. Shows how in demand he is. All the best CJH in your future roles! Shine more than you already are~ and flaunt those eye-smiles more hehehehehe

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hannah Truong said:

Keeping my fingers crossed for a third time and I agree a romantic comedy would be great for them.

I really enjoyed Tunnel too, omo, when he cried I cried, his character’s love for his wife and his daughter really had me. The bromance was great too, everyone’s chemistry was really on point! I loved his maekne, so loyal even after all those years. I loved the ending where he was running after a suspect and his phrase of time traveling cracked me up. My second fav drama of his and a really great option for a comeback from the military. 

Hi Hannah, TruongI did, too!  I loved this drama. The plot, the music, the actors and actresses - they all did amazing. It definitely made my heart beat really fast in every episode. There was the perfect amount of romance in this drama. Their love story is very essential to the entire plot. Choi Jin Hyuk definitely delivered great performance in making his character comes to life on the small screen. I also liked the fact that we got enough screen time with him. I also liked the fact that the show put more importance on how important it is for the victims and their families to get closure. It’s definitely a great watch that balanced out great character development, humor, emotions, mystery and heart, making it one of the best well made Korean dramas, in my opinion, in 2017. I also enjoyed the fact that we didn’t time travel just once or twice, but SEVERAL times. Now, about the ending. I really like how they finished things off, with Kwang Ho back in the ’80s, and with that time jump to 1988. I also didn’t mind that they didn’t show us the new future, as it leaves everything up to the viewers’ imagination, and what better way is there to end it than the peaceful smiling face of our Kwang Ho? “Tunnel” was an immense joy to watch.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, willenette said:

The plot, the music, the actors and actresses - they all did amazing. It definitely made my heart beat really fast in every episode. There was the perfect amount of romance in this drama. Their love story is very essential to the entire plot. Choi Jin Hyuk definitely delivered great performance in making his character comes to life on the small screen. I also liked the fact that we got enough screen time with him. I also liked the fact that the show put more importance on how important it is for the victims and their families to get closure. It’s definitely a great watch that balanced out great character development, humor, emotions, mystery and heart, making it one of the best well made Korean dramas, in my opinion, in 2017. I also enjoyed the fact that we didn’t time travel just once or twice, but SEVERAL times. Now, about the ending. I really like how they finished things off, with Kwang Ho back in the ’80s, and with that time jump to 1988. I also didn’t mind that they didn’t show us the new future, as it leaves everything up to the viewers’ imagination, and what better way is there to end it than the peaceful smiling face of our Kwang Ho? “Tunnel” was an immense joy to watch.  :lol:

Yes, yes and yes to everything you’ve said!!! It was really enjoyable! I completely agree that Jin Hyuk absolutely delivered a fantastic performance with his character. I love scary movies so this fit into my genre of entertainment, but it wasn’t too gruesome or anything and I completely agree that there was a great balance of everything. No wonder JN mentioned in one of her interviews that she begged CJH to introduce her to the writer of that drama. It was that damn good! I loved the ending as well and leaving it to the viewers imagination of what the future holds was a great choice and it didn’t even seem like it was rushed which I liked! I would recommend Tunnel to anyone who asks.:D

• Love 1

13 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

My personal opinion..i think if writernim made WooBin as Sunny's best friend or ex boyfriend or someone related to her before she got married it would be easier to expand their relationship, since they would have some background together. The problem with Sunny-Woobin, despite their meaningful glances and gifts and sacrifices in between, there was not much ground to expand their relationship when Sunny got married to LH. In fact the only connection between them was the emperor, followed by their revenge..but even the revenge was centered around LH. If LH was not around, Sunny might never met with Woobin at all. So...what ever happened to their relationship, in my opinion, is the effect of Woobin's initial characterization. It was too thin especially in a sea of over the top imperial family members and staff. 

Imo, if we forgo the romance part, TLE is enjoyable as is. The show is cray and they amp the cray every episode. To be a part of the drama is a good thing, to be part of a drama with high ratings is always a good thing. Plus a lot remember Bin the stoic body guard hell-bent on revenge. 

I respect your opinion:D

IMO- I think they could have totally developed a love story between sunny-WooBin that would have worked out in the end. They could have built the revenge aspect and them trusting and relying on each other to carry out the plan. Although their revenge might have centered around LH, it still would have been a plausible story if they both found love in each other while putting their revenge to work. If they had kept LH as an evil character and not have him tote the line then a Sunny-WooBin end game would have been solid. However this writer has a reputation to her so the many layered evil character is what was presented.

i agree TLE drama was good to an extent and over the top situations were entertaining, but towards the end, it was very disappointing. The continuous loops of new reveals had me turned off. Not only that, the circumstances of extension to continually advertise products was not appealing. The continuous extensions even when a male lead was not available was not a good choice to me. I’m not even going to get into the overworked staff and a vacation that none of the leads joined in on. It left a really bad taste in my mouth and I’m usually okay with endings that don’t go the way I wanted. I mean I survived “Daisy”, “Windstruck” and “Sunflower” and I came out ok, but this one, oh man, I’m still reeling from this one lol! JMHO.

As for CJH’s next project, which he hasn’t officially accepted, I’m not sure if I will watch it real time, but if he gets the screen time that he got in Tunnel and the love story doesn’t get in the way of the drama then I probably will lol:sweatingbullets:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, booha said:

@willenette   @Hannah Truong

Thank you for talking about Tunnel.  Yes It’s my first crime drama where I cried for the characters.  There are so many touching moments.  Besides I really like how it ended: It showed the important thing in one’s life is about having people you care about. 

c9dyzuQ.gif

9m2XBNn.gif

Omo! I agree, it is important to have the people that you care about in yourlife. Lil sun jea is sooo adorbs!

CJH half smile :wub: second best to his smiley eyes.

Maekne! Love him, the love and loyalty he had to his senior was everything! He listened and did everything he was told. Loved his character too. Honestly I loved all of the characters. A really great cast. The gal that played the daughter, her eyes were freaking beautiful! I was jealous of her eyes for the duration of watching that drama.

Such a great drama! I plan on watching this again later this year when I have vacation and time :sweat_smile:

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I agree with all here about Tunnle's perfect carrecter and cast combination. Not only loved the interaction of main caracters as well as all supporting chracters were very much enjoyable. Above all they performed really well. The romance for both past and present there were perfect.i really enjoyed the father-daughter moment. I wished for more but Kwang Ho must go back to his time. Tunnle's crime scenes are visually less bloody then OCNs other dramas. I watched Voice. It really had a nice and solid story and I like Lee Hana. But the crime scenes there were so very shocking. I somehow completed it by first forwarding but couldn't go for watching Voice second season. 

Over all the drama quite excently blended the time travel and crime theme. Hats off to the cast and crew, Writers and PDs.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:05 AM, Hannah Truong said:

IMO- I think they could have totally developed a love story between sunny-WooBin that would have worked out in the end. They could have built the revenge aspect and them trusting and relying on each other to carry out the plan. Although their revenge might have centered around LH, it still would have been a plausible story if they both found love in each other while putting their revenge to work.

I agree with you. 

On 3/20/2019 at 10:04 AM, katakwasabi said:

My personal opinion..i think if writernim made WooBin as Sunny's best friend or ex boyfriend or someone related to her before she got married it would be easier to expand their relationship, since they would have some background together. The problem with Sunny-Woobin, despite their meaningful glances and gifts and sacrifices in between, there was not much ground to expand their relationship when Sunny got married to LH.

I beg to differ with you. 

Sunny Was looking for Na Wang Shik because he saved her life when she first entered the palace. She had that locket of NWS and thought of searching for him and that had no realation with Lee Hyuk. Yes, Lee Hyuk was major reason why these two entangled with each other but that didn't stop them from bonding with each other and I don't see why that'd be a obstacle.

Even though The Last Empress deprived us of a solid ending between Sunny-Woobin, it can't remove what already showed to us. Sunny-Woobin depended on each other and bonded emotionally. They're rarely vocal about it but we saw them vowing in their mind to protect each other. Infact, they never needed to be vocal about each other because they went through a lot simultenously or side by side. So they understood each other even without saying it.

GfV-9s.gif

mk5O9C.gif

After Sunny felt the betrayal of LH she never were in the same page with Lh. While LH started noticing Sunny, Sunny was done being a fangirl. Sunny almost cringed at every move LH made on her after she was emotionally detached with him.

There's no definite ending but we've seen plenty of time how Sunny was genuinely concerned and worried of Woobin over all well being. But when she noticed or showed concern for LH it was always because she wanted him to depend on her or to try to reaveal truth. And that never really changed till the end of the drama except in the last few minuits of the drama which was haphazardly done for the convenience of showing a Sunny-Hyuk centered ending.

And I also don't think the drama did a good job at redeeming LH properly. But that is another discussion. So, I don't see why some people say after the end of the drama that TLE was Sunny-Hyuk centric since the begining when the drama laid out everything to give us Sunny-Woobin but backed out on that at the last few episodes. Even if Sunny-Woobin was not given a proper ending, they'd still be a beautiful memory in my mind. Their relationship grew so strongly that I can't help but hold on to all their precious moments disregarding the last two episodes.

Jang-Nara-Choi-Jin-Hyuk-04.gif

@booha, CJH is having his FM in Japan one month after JW. :) FM's are fun. FM means more fan cam. :D

Didn't he visit Japan in the middle of TLE? 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1