Hayden Panettiere's Letter To Japanese Fishing Agency Abt Dolphins & Slaughtering

Guest Vino de Jerez

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest PunchNine

And she just waltzed into another country and told them that their age-old tradition is wrong.

Well, She's able to do that because she's Hayden Panettiere, aka Humanitarian aka Saint aka American.

We all know only the Americans are right.

:)

Attention-starved rainbow.

Guest weiowu12

Not a personal attack, but so what if one of her purse is equivalent to a fisherman's 3mth paycheck?

She can spend it however she likes, its not like she is harming any life.

actually the purse thing was talking about the video of her 'heroically' paddling to stop the fishermen from killing the dolphins then crying about it later. she shouldnt have done that. they were just doing their job and if she really wanted to give them a reason to stop, perhaps she should give them an incentive instead of bringing cameras and making a big deal with the fishermen..the fishermen were HIRED and just doing their job. they are also poor and have families and such to feed, they can't just not do their job b.c hayden said so. no, buying a purse is not harming a life, but i would rather see her donating money and giving the fishermen a reason to boycott dolphin killing b.c for her, the sum of money is nothing. it would do alot more than the videos of her attacking fishermen..but then again, that's all for attention...

I appreciate what her letter said, but it does seem like she's bashing the whole country and NOT just the fisheries/company. I understand her feelings and thoughts about dolphins/whales.. but you can't really blame Japan.. I mean come on.. Japan is known for all their sea food and such.

I really wish she should not have criticized Japan as a whole.

but, the letter kind of reminds me like a letter from the PETA foundation, or something like that.

sigh.

Guest .moony.

I always respected hayden before but after this, it seems like she's only doing it to look good. I mean I'm sure she feels for the dolphins, we all do, but she' is taking the wrong approaches by thinking since she is Hayden, a famous American actress, she can command the Japanese goverment to stop this or that.

If she really wants to make a change, donate all her money to help save the fishermen first. They are doing this to feed their whole family. As kind as a person wants to be, when they are poor and have nothing to eat, they would have to do whatever they have to do to save their family. Would she rather have the dolphins saved but the fishermen starved to death?

Her whole letter sounds like a joke to me. Grow up and look further, think more about the reasons why life isn't always the way you want it to be. Think about the poor people who have no food and is depending on this job to even stay alive.

If she could provide support for these fishermen so they would stop hunting dolphins, now that's what I call a real solution.

Guest badhairday

Wow, I'm quite surprised that a lot of soompiers sympathized with the fisherman rather than the dolphins. I feel bad that the fisherman are doing this for a living, but I'm pretty sure that there are other jobs that are out there that they can earn money from. Plus, aren't the dolphins and whales killed for science... if that is the case, then she has every right to go after the government or agencies that is sponsering this funding.

I'm quite shocked that many ppl don't see the similarities between killing dolphins and killing animals for fur or the white rhino for thier horns/tusks. Some months ago, I read that here is only 1 more white rhino left in this earth because poachers killed the last female white rhino. Once the last remaining male white rhino die, I wonder how they are going to make a living, since their source of income is all but extincted in this world.

Guest IlikeChicken

i respect her advocacy

but i think this is taking this way too far..

and isnt it weird that she ended the letter with saying "how ignorant japan looks to the rest of the world"

when her first paragraph was:

yeah, thats what I thought too. dumb.

Guest courtzn3y

It's hard to believe a lot of people here are putting her down,

I really don't think she's doing this for attention, but using her fame to promote something she believes in

It takes someone who can attract attention to bring attention to a cause...

and even though this is Japan's culture etc. etc., it's not healthy from an environmental standpoint.

I'm not really understanding this "how about the fisherman" thing, that's really not the priority here,

the fisherman will survive without fishing endangered species, but I'm not so sure about the whales/dolphins...

Sure there are other things that may be more important, but it's not like this isn't important

Guest silent.whistle

actually the purse thing was talking about the video of her 'heroically' paddling to stop the fishermen from killing the dolphins then crying about it later. she shouldnt have done that. they were just doing their job and if she really wanted to give them a reason to stop, perhaps she should give them an incentive instead of bringing cameras and making a big deal with the fishermen..the fishermen were HIRED and just doing their job. they are also poor and have families and such to feed, they can't just not do their job b.c hayden said so. no, buying a purse is not harming a life, but i would rather see her donating money and giving the fishermen a reason to boycott dolphin killing b.c for her, the sum of money is nothing. it would do alot more than the videos of her attacking fishermen..but then again, that's all for attention...

Obviously its for attention, because how do you raise world wide awareness if the media wasn't there?

Why do they bring cameras into third world countries? Seeing is believing.

There are professional killers out there who are hired by some moron who obviously have no better place to spend their money to kill people, should we just ignore it and allow it to continue - since they were HIRED to do their job? Hence, you obviously stop the hit man before you confront who hired him.

He is also poor and needs to feed his family, so should we donate money to them as a mean of stopping them?

It is obviously better to stop the killing of dolphins instantly instead of confronting the businesses and protesting outside organizations while the population of dolphins is decreasing.

And she just waltzed into another country and told them that their age-old tradition is wrong.

Well, She's able to do that because she's Hayden Panettiere, aka Humanitarian aka Saint aka American.

We all know only the Americans are right.

:)

Attention-starved rainbow.

An age old tradition in which the Japanese government, the fisheries and companies have to lie about and say its all in the name of scientific research? If they seriously believed it is alright to consume and sell dolphins, whales and other marine mammals why can't they admit it and be proud of this age-old tradition?

It is unfortunate that there are Japanese scientists and researchers who try so hard to find new methods of reducing pain inflicted on animals in the name of research, earlier this year they created see-through frogs which means there is no need to dissect frogs in order to see the effects of drugs and products. Yet the Japanese government and fisheries are using them as an excuse to kill marine mammals.

Guest JUN-YEE

she sounds like she's bashing Japan as a whole in her letter.

it is great she is taking action in what she believes, but the fishermen are doing their jobs to survive. i wouldn't want the fishermen and their families to suffer.

to stop buying japanese made products..not many people are going to stop..

she sounds arrogant and like a whinny child

who does she think she is bashing japan like that...

for god's sakes she's a tv actress...

and from what read she has no idea how this can affect the fisherman...

she is dissing out a whole country just because they don't follow her morals...

im sorry but if i had "power" to speak up like she does i would rather speak about the AIDS epidemic or world hunger than

pass an angry message of ignorance to try and save the dolphins

Guest .moony.

Wow, I'm quite surprised that a lot of soompiers sympathized with the fisherman rather than the dolphins. I feel bad that the fisherman are doing this for a living, but I'm pretty sure that there are other jobs that are out there that they can earn money from. Plus, aren't the dolphins and whales killed for science... if that is the case, then she has every right to go after the government or agencies that is sponsering this funding.

Your post made me laugh. Another person who thinks the world is perfect, there's a good job for everyone.

If there was a job where they could earn money from, I dont think there would be poverty or unemployment.

This is just exactly why some of you guys are defending her and saying she's doing great things without looking at the BIG picture.

Guest --after forever

why not help the homeless, world hunger , global warming etc etc ..... why dolphins........ lol

thats what all charities are about : P

so why NOT dolphins.. thats a better question.

i'm happy shes making use of her fame...

EDIT:

^ (to the post above mine)..

if they can fish.. im sure they are qualified to do other stuff too =)

its all because of their selfishness.. they can easily find a job that pays LESS but doesn't require their employees to kill dolphins.

we're not talking about hobos here.. -______________-"

EDIT x 2 (after reading other replies):

she's not doing this for attention.

celebrities who do it for attention only donate big sums of money.

but she's actually going through the trouble to write a letter..

Guest pandoras0nymph

she sounds arrogant and like a whinny child

who does she think she is bashing japan like that...

for god's sakes she's a tv actress...

and from what read she has no idea how this can affect the fisherman...

she is dissing out a whole country just because they don't follow her morals...

im sorry but if i had "power" to speak up like she does i would rather speak about the AIDS epidemic or world hunger than

pass an angry message of ignorance to try and save the dolphins

true... if she's got a big heart she should save her fellow humans first. there are lots of kwasharkor and marasmus kids in africa and other 3rd world countries. the aids victims and the deformed kids due to malnutrition???hello, her money can feed 3 or 4 towns in africa. or more... i know we should respect animals and their lives. but as humans, do we think we should take care 1st of our own brothers in sisters in need? coz really, she sounded arrogant and cocky to me whinny child too. she's still young. when she grows up she'll realize the real deal. whats happening with the world and the hungry and deprived people .

Archived