Song Kang-Ho 송강호 [“Broker”, “Emergency Declaration”]

Helena

July 23, 2008

China desert comes to life in 'Good, Bad and Weird'

22214349.jpg

From left, director Kim Jee-woon, actors Jung Woo-sung, Lee Byung-hun and Song Gang-ho

at the Cannes Film Festival last May.[JoongAng Ilbo]

A suspense-filled wilderness creates an unpredictable scene for a cowboy gunfight, but a bloody battle begins that will only end in absolute victory or absolute defeat.

22214417.jpg

Kim Jee-woon

Director Kim Jee-woon was captivated by such a scene from Sergio Leone’s 1966 so-called spaghetti western, “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.”

22214443.jpg

And last week, he released his own take on cowboys, “The Good, the Bad and the Weird.”

The film, which had a budget of 1.8 billion won ($1.8 million), attracted more than 2 million viewers in the four days after its release, according to the Korean Film Council. The CGV Yongsan in central Seoul is now offering English subtitles until Aug. 31.

“The cheeky characters in cowboy pictures are very charming,” Kim said. “They’re antihero and antisocial.” While researching the film, Kim came across a Korean-made Manchurian western, “Break the Chain” (1971), directed by Lee Man-hui. “Lee's film was all about lawless male characters,” Kim said. Break the Chain reflects the mood of people living helplessly under a repressed government. The film is set in Manchuria during the Japanese rule of Korea. Patriotic fighters gathered there to resist the Japanese army and bandits.

The Good, the Bad and the Weird, Korea’s first western in several decades, is also set in 1930s Manchuria during the Japanese colonial period. There are three outlaws -- good guy Do-won (Jung Woo-sung), bad guy Chang-e (Lee Byung-hun) and weird guy Tae-gu (Song Gang-ho). All three spend the movie on horseback chasing after a treasure map hidden in the wild desert.

At first, The Good, the Bad and the Weird was a working title that Kim used to refer to Leone’s 1960s western. Other title options were “The Tale of Three Wicked Men” or “Three Wicked Men in the Wilderness.” “But they were lame,” Kim said.

Actor Song from “The Host” (2006) was the first actor Kim cast for the film. The two had previously worked on “The Foul King” (2000) and promised to produce another film together in the future. “Song had finished filming ‘The Host’ and I had just finished ‘A Bittersweet Life.’ We were both available for another film,” Kim said. They reunited seven years after filming The Host.

When Kim proposed the idea of a western to Song, the actor was more than surprised. He was cynical. “A cowboy film in Korea?” Song doubtfully asked, though after second thought, he smiled and agreed, according to Kim.

Casting the good guy called for more prudence. “He had to be handsome,” the director said. To Kim, Jung looked the best on horseback with a rifle strapped across his shoulders.

The bad guy and actor Lee had one thing in common, Kim said. “Neither can stand being second. They have to be the best.”

To Kim, the three formed a dream cast, but that didn’t make filming in China’s Gobi Desert any easier. The temperature exceeded 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit) every day. Kim recalls the dreadful environment. “When I wore my sneakers on the first day of filming, my feet were burning. Later, I bought a pair of hiking boots that have thick soles.”

The air was full of sand dust, and the ground was messy with untrained horses, secondhand auto bikes and cars and some 40 Korean and 80 Chinese staff members. “The staff was always one step ahead of losing their minds,” Kim said.

“Even though, we successfully brought thrilling action and chases to the screen. Korean films have been craving that for a long time.” The film did homage to a spaghetti western but “the Korean style offers a whole different world once you see it.”

Any message from the director? “Life is all about chasing and being chased.”

Source: English JoongAng Ilbo

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2892658

July 25, 2008

'The Good, The Bad, The Weird' Invited to Sitges Festival

080725_ent_2.jpg

Director Kim Ji-woon's "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" and Na Hong-jin's "The Chaser" have been invited to screen at the 41st Sitges International Film Festival held in Catalonia, Spain from October 2nd to the 12th.

The two films will be featured as part of the festival's main program, "Fantastic Selection," along with Takashi Miike's "Crow's Zero" and "Tokyo!" an omnibus film directed by Bong Jun-ho, Leos Carax and Michel Gondry.

The Sitges International Film Festival was created in 1968. Sitges, Fantasporto and the Brussel International Film Festival are the three top "fantastic festivals" of the world.

In 2005, Lee Young-ae was awarded "Best Actress" at the Sitges festival for her performance in "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" (director Park Chan-wook), and in 2006, "The Host" (director Bong Jun-ho) received the "Orient Express" award.

Source: KBS Global

July 28, 2008

Latest Korean blockbuster attracts 4 million viewers in 11 days

SEOUL, July 28 (Yonhap) -- The latest South Korean blockbuster, reported to be the nation's highest budget film, has attracted four million viewers in the first 11 days of its release, the film's distributor said Monday.

According to CJ Entertainment, "The Good The Bad The Weird," starring well-known Korean actors Lee Byung-hun, Song Kang-ho and Jung Woo-sung, drew 4.13 million viewers on 954 screens across the country as of Sunday.

The movie became the fourth Korean movie this year to cross the 4 million mark, following "Forever the Moment," "The Chaser," and "Public Enemy Returns."

"The Good The Bad The Weird," directed by Kim Ji-woon, one of the few South Korean directors to have clinched both commercial success and critical acclaim, was anticipated to be the hottest pick of the South Korean box office this summer.

Set in Manchuria with conventions of a Western, the movie depicts three men hunting for hidden treasure.

Credits: ygkim@yna.co.kr

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/culturespo...004100315F.HTML

28th July 2008

Korean Box Office: July 25-27

This week will start a tough-er competition among the movies particularly with the release of "Eye for An Eye, Tooth for a Tooth' and 'The Mummy 3', especially.

All the best to the guys of NomNomNom, fighting! :w00t: *cheering crazily*

280708jeonju.jpg

———- Coming This Week to Korean Theaters (July 31st) ———-

Boot Camp (us)-d. Christian Duguay, starring Mila Kunis, Gregory Smith

An Eye For An Eye (kr)- d. Kwak Kyeong-taek, starring Han Seok-gyu, Cha Seung-won

Last Mistress (fr/it)- d. Cahterine Breillat, starring Asia Argento, Fu’ad Ait Aattou

Mummy 3 (us)- d. Rob Cohen, starring Brendon Fraser, Jet Li

The U.S. vs. John Lennon (us)- d. David Leaf

Source: Seen in Jeonju

August 1, 2008

Cannes cut of "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" in Theaters

080801_ent_1.jpg

The edited version of "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" that screened at the Cannes International Film Festival will be coming to Korean theaters on August 6th.

"We received a lot of requests from the public regarding the Cannes cut of 'The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.' That is why we will be releasing that version of the movie to ten CGV theaters on the 6th," explained a representative of the film's distribution company, CJ Entertainment.

The Cannes Film Festival version of the movie is approximately three minutes shorter than the two hours and thirteen minutes of the Korean theater version. CJ Entertainment added, "The endings of the two versions are different, with the Cannes cut reflecting the end that director Kim Ji-woon originally wanted. We believe that audiences in Korea will be pleasantly surprised."

Source: KBS Global

http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/new...7839_11858.html

August 10, 2008

The Good The Bad The Weird attracts 6 million viewers

gbw600.jpg

091.jpg

SEOUL, Aug. 10 (Yonhap) -- Kim Ji-woon's tribute to Spaghetti Westerns, "The Good The Bad The Weird," has topped the 6 million audience mark in the first three weeks of its local release, its distributor said Sunday.

The 20 billion won (US$20 million) film has drawn the largest number of viewers in theaters this year, beating "The Chaser," a suspense thriller that drew 5.13 million people, said CJ Entertainment.

Source: Yonhap News

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/culturespo...0003400315.HTML

August 27, 2008

Jeon Do-yeon, Ha Jung-woo as Ex-Lovers

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

080827_p14_jeon.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-yeon, left, and Ha Jung-woo who star in "My Dear Enemy,''

talk to reporters during a press conference in Seoul, Tuesday. / Yonhap

South Korea's most in-demand actors Jeon Do-yeon and Ha Jung-woo generated a big media buzz appearing before the press as "former lovers." Jeon, who won the 2007 Cannes Best Actress award for "Secret Sunshine," and Ha, hero of one of this year's highest grossing films "The Chaser," teamed up in "My Dear Enemy," due in theaters Sept. 25.

Popular band Clazziquai's vocalist Horan opened the event, singing mellow tunes that appear in the fall lineup's most anticipated film. Director Lee Yoon-ki, the melodrama craftsman of critically acclaimed works like "This Charming Girl" (2006), brings what he calls an unconventional, post-breakup love story.

Jeon appears as Heui-su, an uptight, unemployed single woman in her mid-30s. Broke and desperate, she suddenly recalls that her ex-boyfriend Byeong-u, owes her 3.5 million won (about $3,500). She finds him gambling at a horseracing track and demands reimbursement. Reunited after one year, the two spend "one fine day" (the Korean title of the film) together, with Heui-su driving Byeong-u to one lady friend after another to borrow money.

About her post-Cannes appearance, Jeon admitted feeling pressured but denied rumors that she was offered innumerable opportunities here and abroad. "I was speaking with ("Secret Sunshine" co-star) Song Kang-ho about how it's hard enough to act in Korean, let alone a foreign language,'' she said. "I chose the script because it was well written, and I adore love stories. But this is an unconventional romance and gives off a unique color."

Unlike the dramatic emotional tension that mark both of the stars' previous works, "My Dear Enemy" takes place over one rather uneventful day, and subtle emotions and chemistry between the actors propel the narrative.

About working opposite the reputed actress, Ha said Jeon quieted his nervousness with her easy manner. The two had actually appeared together three years ago in the hit drama "Lovers of Prague," where Ha played a supporting role as the heroine's bodyguard.

"I can't believe that I have risen to play opposite Jeon in such a short time frame," he said. "While playing her bodyguard in the drama, there were many scenes where I was chauffeuring for her. I remember one particular scene where she was crying, and I was so moved I almost shed tears. Jeon is a great actress who inspires those around her even before the audience." He joked about being rather disappointed there was no love scene.

Jeon said that she was the one who was grateful in the partnership. "I didn't know we'd be cast together because of our age difference, but Jung-woo was able to come far because he was already a good actor back then," she said. Jeon, 35, looked younger than ever in her smoky eye makeup. The film clips showed how she looked even more youthful than Ha, who is five years her junior. Her secret to looking more beautiful by the day? "It's inborn. Just kidding. It's the make-up," she said with a grin.

She continued, "Jung-woo is a very versatile actor and really supported me." Ha, complimented by Martin Scorsese as having as much potential as Leonardo Dicaprio and Matt Damon, has a knack for pulling off colorful characters, from a psychopathic serial killer to a suave bar host in "The Moonlight of Seoul." When asked if the latter character, a playboy who swindles women, might be a repetition for his upcoming film, he said, no.

"While it's true that both characters are very sleazy, 'The Moonlight of Seoul' is a bitter, dark night story while my character in 'My Dear Enemy,' energized by the sun, is cheerful and optimistic despite his recklessness," he said.

"My Dear Enemy" is slated for release Sept. 25. Distributed by Lotte Entertainment.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2.../135_30073.html

Lee Byunghun & Song KangHo-ssi! :w00t:

I really have vague memory of these :sweatingbullets: .. but this is from their JSA days, right?

Anyone with details for this.. name of photoshoot, etc.. I would truly appreciate anything.. :blush:

Pics from GBW cafe via daum.net

AD01.jpgAD03.jpg

AD04.jpg

AD06.jpg

September 4, 2008

Park makes debut as producer

200809031434081003_1.jpg

Filmmaker Park Chan-wook has made a debut as a producer for the forthcoming film "Miss Hongdangmu," raising expectations about his versatility.

The movie, directed by Lee Kyung-mi, portrays a 29-year-old Korean woman who teaches Russian in school, but confronts a slew of obstacles in her life, partly due to a frequently blushing face.

The title, "Hongdangmu," means a red radish in Korean, and it refers to a Korean expression linking the color of the vegetable with a person who blushes scarlet.

"This is not a movie about great action or massive sets. What the movie can show, though, is people, and my confidence in the movie lies in the talent of the actors," Park told reporters at a news conference held in Seoul on Wednesday.

In the movie, Gong Hyo-jin plays Yang Mi-suk, the central character who stumbles into one frustrating situation after another. Gong said when she first saw the movie's promotional poster, she was surprised at her own face.

"I was worried about the character's initial image that is far from attractive, but I later realized my character is strangely appealing," Gong said.

Gong, a leading Korean actress, is widely regarded as a fashionable star. But the movie portrays her as not-so-fashionable, which might intrigue her fans.

The movie involves the trouble-laden life of Yang Mi-suk, especially her fruitless searches for true love. Director Lee said the character of Yang Mi-suk suffers a variety of complexes, including her red-colored face, obsession about her health and the serious lack of confidence in herself.

"The character represents a person who can be found everywhere in Korea, and I believe audiences will sympathize with her struggle," she said.

Park Chan-wook, who is now working on his next film, "Thirst," said he experienced the difficulties of financing movie.

"There is a big difference between producers and directors. When my position was director, I was thankful about all the money, big and small, coming from producers and investors, but when I became a producer, I felt sorry about the insufficient funding for the project," Park said.

Park said the movie's central character is highly unique.

"I think Yang Mi-suk in this movie is unprecedented in the Korean movie history, and Gong Hyo-jin's acting shows a lot of subtle emotional variations, which are deeply entertaining," Park said. He also makes a cameo in the movie.

Lee Jong-hyeok, who plays opposite Gong in the movie, said Korean men in their 30s might find the movie particularly interesting, without elaborating on the plot twist.

Director Lee attracted media spotlight in 2004 for winning awards at the country's major short film festivals, and her first feature-length film, to be released on Oct. 16, is expected to showcase her talent.

By Yang Sung-jin (insight@heraldm.com), image from empas.com

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/

Thanks to the highlight by deka_if at the News thread

September 10, 2008

Visual stylist - Director Kim Jee-woon

20089513155029584.jpg

The ticket sales of "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" surpassed the 6-million mark at the domestic box office on Aug. 10, emerging as the most successful Korean film in the first quarter of this year. (note: as of Sept 7, GBW now stands at 7-million plus admission)

Director Kim Jee-woon is behind the strong performance from the star-studded cast and $17 million budget.

Born in 1964, Kim studied dramatics at the Seoul Institute of the Art. But he quit the school early and learned theater acting following his older sister Kim Jee-sook, who is a veteran actress. He appeared on stage and also directed some plays, experiencing the real theatrical world.

In 1998, he made his debut as a filmmaker after his scenario for the film "The Quiet Family" won a prize. In the same year, the black comedy about a strange family involved in serial killings was invited to three leading international fantastic film festivals including Portugal's FantasPorto, Spain's Sitges Film Festival and Brussels International Fantastic Festival.

Then he directed "The Foul King (1999)," a drama featuring a salary man dreaming to be a professional wrestler, and participated in a Korea-Hong Kong-Thailand joint project producing an omnibus film titled "Memories" in 2002.

In 2003, he succeeded in satisfying both movie fans and critics with the horror movie "A Tale of Two Sisters." The movie sold over 3 million tickets at the domestic box office. The Hollywood remake of the movie, whose English title is "The Uninvited - A Tale of Two Sisters," is scheduled to be released in the United States next year.

In 2005, the Cannes Film Festival finally invited him and his film "The Bittersweet Life," which is considered to be the greatest honor given to a talented filmmaker.

For actor Song Kang-ho, who is well-known for his roles in Park Chan-wook's "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" and Bong June-ho's "Memories of Murder," this is the third time to work with director Kim after "The Quiet Family" and "The Foul King."

"Director Kim has a unique art world. He makes his own version in whatever genres he takes. Because he always makes me expect something different, I have wanted to work with him again," Song said at a news conference for the latest "The Good, The Bad, The Weird."

By Lee Ji-yoon - KOREA, September 2008

http://summit.korea.net/news/news/newsView...mp;source=KOREA

Friday, 12 September 2008

Universal, Focus board Korea's "Thirst"

Studios to invest in, co-produce latest film from "Oldboy" director Park

Written by Patrick Frater

2114.jpg

HONG KONG -- Universal Pictures and Focus Films have boarded "Oldboy" director Park Chan-wook's in-production vampire movie "Thirst." It's the first time a Korean film has received U.S. studio coin and a Stateside distribution commitment before its local release.

Universal and Focus will invest in and co-produce the pic, which has so far been steered by Korean major CJ Entertainment.

Focus will bow the film in North America with CJ handling the remaining international sales rights. CJ also will distribute the film in South Korea.

The deal was announced Thursday by UPI Studio prexy Christian Grass, Focus CEO James Schamus and CJ CEO Kim Joo-sung.

"Thirst" stars Song Kang-ho ("Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance," "The Host," "The Good the Bad and the Weird") and Shin Ha-kyun ("Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance"). Involving unusually risqué elements, pic also stars Kim Ok-bi ("Dasepo Naughty Girls,") as leading lady.

Pic is about a priest who participates in a medical experiment to find a cure for a deadly disease with traumatic repercussions.

It is skedded to be completed in time for a festival bow in mid-2009.

" 'Thirst' is especially exciting for us, as it's the first time a major studio has co-produced with a South Korean entertainment company in this way," said Grass. "Park Chan-wook is one of the most talented and influential Korean directors working today. We're really pleased to be partnering with CJ on this production."

"First, this is a vote of confidence in CJ and director Park, but also having a film of this scale get the backing of a major studio in North America opens up an opportunity for all Korean films," said Katharine Kim, exec VP and head of international at CJ. "Second, it is important to us to have Universal and Focus' financial commitment while the film is in production."

Park is best known for "Old Boy," which won the Grand Jury Prize at the Cannes in 2003 and 2005 hit "Lady Vengeance," both of which sold internationally after their domestic release.

The co-production is being overseen by Grass; Jason Resnick, senior VP and general manager of worldwide acquisitions for Universal Pictures; and CJ's Kim.

(Bobbie Whiteman in Hollywood contributed to this report).

Source: Variety Asia, image from movie.daum.net

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/6917/

September 11, 2008

Critics judge Secret Sunshine as 2007’s best film

sunshine2007a.jpg

LEE Chang-dong’s Secret Sunshine is voted the best film of 2007 by a select group of Korean culture and society critics. KIM Ji-hoon’s May 18 came in second and LEE Myung-se’s Mcompletes an illustrious top three of in total twelve selected Korean films.

Secret Sunshine continued to cement LEE’s name among the great auteur cineastes. The film accumulated numerous awards, culminating in JEON Do-yeon’s best actress crown at Festival de Cannes.

May 18 is exemplary how cinema can represent popular memory and assist in creating alternative histories. The popular film chronicles the Gwangju uprising from the point-of-view of the Gwangju citizens who were branded criminals and vandals by the military government and leading conservative newspapers.

M is an impressive technical achievement of great aesthetic beauty, containing a layered story which plays on memories, love, and reality.

The participants of the annual questionnaire consist of distinguished people from the film industry, film critics and culture academics.

The best foreign film vote went to Ang Lee’s Lust, Caution, followed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu’s Babel, and John Carney’s Once. Eight foreign films were named.

Credits: Yi Ch'ang-ho (KOFIC)

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/KOFIC/Channel/

"The Telluride Film Festival represents the rarest jewel in the crown of the festival-going experience. It is the most open, democratic and collegial of festivals, in addition to being one of the best programmed and run."

Todd McCarthy, The Variety Guide to Film Festivals Source: telluridefilmfestival.org

telluride35.jpg

35th Telluride Film Festival (August 29 - September 1)

September 2, 2008

Telluride Review: The Good, The Bad, and The Weird

by Alex Billington

As a finale to the Telluride Film Festival and as my last screening, I saw The Good, The Bad, and The Weird, an immensely fun and absurdly badass Asian spaghetti western. I've been anxiously awaiting an opportunity to see this film ever since I first caught the trailer back in May. After finally seeing it, I can definitely say it delivers so much more than I expected. This film is playing at every big festival - Cannes, Venice, Telluride, Toronto, and Fantastic Fest - and that should tell you a bit more than just that it's a great festival film - it's a fantastic cinematic experience as well. Although I enjoyed the culture and storytelling in Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire, I had an exceptionally fun time watching this.

The Good, The Bad, and The Weird is an exciting fusion of Asian spaghetti westerns, Sergio Leone's The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and even Ben Hur and The Road Warrior. The Bad (Lee Byung-hun), one of the best killers in all of Manchuria, is hired to steal a treasure map from a man on a train, but before he can get to it, The Weird (Song Kang-ho) shows up to rob the train and ends up finding it first. As he attempts to make his escape, The Good (Jung Woo-sung), a bounty hunter out to kill The Bad for his reward, shows up as well. The then film travels from gangster hideouts to small towns and back, before eventually ending up in the desert where the greatest all-out battle between everyone takes place.

It's challenging to review this film and challenging to explain why I loved it. The Good, The Bad, and The Weird is a kind of film that particular fanatic moviegoers can soak up and enjoy while others will end up bored. There's no way to really critique the story or the directing, because if it's entertaining to watch, then it has simply achieved its objective. Song Kang-ho as The Weird deserves the most acting honors because his quirky character and natural humor was what really carried the story and brought such vibrant life to the film. Director Kim Ji-woon's fight choreography and visual aptitude is also worth mentioning. It's amazing to realize that they pulled off such an epic and entertaining story for under $20 million!.

Although the cinematography is sometimes shakier than the Bourne movies, it's quite colorful and exquisitely composed (despite quick cuts during action scenes), which is the most I can say besides suggesting watching all 120 minutes of it on the big screen. To give a good comparison, there are fight scenes in the middle of The Good, The Bad, and The Weird that rival those in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, a production that cost 10 times more than this. And the characters each bring their own unique fighting style to the film as well: either brutally sinister, unusually skilled, or playfully accurate.

My expectations were sky high for The Good, The Bad, and The Weird, but it definitely surpassed them. I'm already counting down the hours until I get to see it again at Fantastic Fest in a few weeks. There's not much at all that I can complain about, besides some nauseating camera work, but besides that, this film was an absolutely entertaining Asian adventure from start to finish. It's vastly better than Sukiyaki Western Django and never boring, so don't think twice, just add it to your list of movies to see. Watching this two hour epic unfold in front of my eyes was like watching every great gun fight and action scene from cinematic history crammed into a spaghetti western with three amusing characters - pure bliss!

Telluride Rating: 9.5 out of 10

thumbup.gif

Source: www.firstshowing.net

Thanks to the highlight by deka_if at the News thread

September 19, 2008

CNN lists ‘Host,' ‘Mandala' among best Asian films

200891918211256697.jpg

Two Korean films were included among CNN's list of best Asian films.

Director Bong Joon-ho's The Host (2006) and Im Kwon-taek's Mandala (1981) were named on a list of the 18 best Asian films of all time on a Sept. 18 story on CNN.com.

"Arguably one of the greatest monster films ever made," wrote the U.S.-based Cable News Network about The Host, noting that "a staggering 20 percent of the population of South Korea have watched this film."

200891918212529588.jpg

As for Mandala CNN wrote that the movie "is considered to be [im Kwon-taek's] breakthrough as a cinematic artist," that "takes a contemplative look at the nature of individualism, religious belief and enlightenment" through following the lives and interactions of two Buddhist monks.

Other Asian films that made it to the list include director Jia Zhangke's Still Life (2006), Thai director Apichatpong's Weerasethakul Syndromes and a Century (2006), Hong Kong director Andrew Lau's Infernal Affairs (2002), New Zealand director Niki Caro's Whale Rider (2002), Hong Kong director Wong Kar-wai's In the Mood for Love (2000), Chinese director Yang Zhang's Shower (1999), Japanese director Suo Masayuki's Shall We Dance? (1998), Iranian director Mohsen Makhmalbaf's Babbeh (1996), Chinese director Zhang Yimou's To Live (1994), Vietnamese director Dang Nhat Minh's When the Tenth Month Comes (1984), New Zealand director Geoff Murphy's Utu (1983) and Filipino director Ishmael Bernal's Himala (1982).

Older films included are Japanese director Kurosawa Akira's Ikiru (1952) and Kinomini coopera Keisuke's The Ballad of Narayama (1958), Indian director Mehboob Khan's Mother India (1957) and Hong Kong director King Hu's A Touch of Zen (1969).

By Kim Hee-sung, Korea.net Staff Writer

http://summit.korea.net/news/news/newsView...e=1&source=