Song Kang-Ho 송강호 [“Broker”, “Emergency Declaration”]

Helena

Our gratitude to kdramafanusa for this awesome highlight at the News thread with image from cinemacafe, thanks to ylin.

May 25, 2008

Korean cowboy "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" charms at Cannes

080529_cannes15.jpg

"The Good, the Bad, the Weird" had a good reception at Cannes Film Festival. It is a movie about men on a chase about a treasure map and takes place in the 1930s, in the Japanese colony of Manchuria.

It was first revealed through a press conference on the 24th. On the same day, executive chairman of the Cannes Film Festival Thierry Fremaux volunteered to host the conference. Sean Penn, Natalie Portman, and other Hollywood stars attended.

Director Kim Ji-woon said, "It's great to have a warm welcome in a foreign place. We filmed for nine months going back and forth from Korea to China. The actors and staff went through a lot with hot temperatures in the Gobi Desert in China.

Director Kim said that the movie showing in Cannes and the movie premiering in Korea had different endings. "The Korean version has more humor and action, and it is more entertaining so the whole family can enjoy it".

He said that he got a lot of his inspiration from Director Clint Eastwood's 1992 movie "Unforgiven". He said, "I wasn't particularly aiming to make the Western genre popular in Asia. It's enough that I can revive the Manchurian Western genre in Korea".

Lee Byeong-Heon said, "I wondered if I should get some information while watching a Western movie, but I didn't because I thought I would copy the character exactly. It's true that it was overwhelming to make a creative evil character that was hard to express. But it was a chance for me to have a new experience. Although this character is evil and willing to risk his life to become the best, he is an introvert and focuses on the small details. I focused on portraying a character that wasn't greedy for money but was willing to kill someone because of fame, someone with depth".

Jeong Woo-seong met with Korea's press on the 23rd and said, "I'm glad that the movie first showed at Cannes Film Festival. I think I can proudly step on the red carpet because of the good reviews from foreign movie critics".

He also said, "I hope for more opportunities to film movies with a great cast, such as Lee Byeong-Heon and Song Kang-ho. It's hard to meet actors with ability, but if those actors want to come together, there needs to be a great scenario. In that sense, "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" has all these characteristics".

Song Kang-ho couldn't hide his proud look as he said, "I'm glad that I was again invited to the world's best film festival following last year for "Secret Sunshine". The Korean movie industry seems inactive, but I hope that this is a way to advertise the industry so it may find its pride once again. I feel that this is the first movie in a while that the whole family can enjoy. I'm proud that I can show my kids how hard I worked to shoot this film".

As much as it is a Western, it has dangerous scenes. Jeong Woo-seong said, "There was a time I kept filming without knowing my arm was broken. The scene with the horse was dangerous, for they were race horses".

Song Kang-ho remembered running to catch the train on a hill with rarefied air. "I breathed in air with a portable oxygen tank, ran, breathed, and then ran. It was harder than I thought to run for it 2000 meters above sea level".

There were hardships while filming for three months in China. Still, Song Kang-ho said, "There were some communication problems, but on resting days, we played soccer and the losing team paid for dinner. We got along".

"The Good, the Bad, the Weird" will be marketed in France and China. At the Cannes Film Festival, they sold copyright rights to Hollywood's Mel Gibson's movie company Icon Pictures, Benelux, Russia, Germany, Turkey, England, and Singapore.

It premiers in July in Korea.

Original Korean Article: NEWSIS 2008-05-25

English Translation Credit: HanCinema

Thanks to the wonderful highlight by kdramafanusa at the News thread

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?sho...&start=4760

May 24, 2008

[interview] Song Kang-ho, "The answer is to not do it if it's not the best"

pho_200805241700190107000001070100-00.jpg

A paler Song Kang-ho said, "It took 23 hours and 50 minutes to come to Martinez Hotel from Pusan where I was filming "Thirst"". It is his second year coming to Cannes, last year with "Secret Sunshine"and this year with "The Good, the Bad, the Weird". He hopes that "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" can be a movie to revive the Korean movie industry from its slump. It has a screening on the 24th out of competition.

On the 23rd, Song Kang-ho consented to an interview for forty minutes on a hotel terrace, and continued to share fun stories while having dinner. He was tired, but he willingly answered questions about "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" and "Thirst" for the Korean reporters that visited Cannes. His hearty laughter spread across the café.

-This is your second year in a row at Cannes. Your current thoughts and feelings?

"Secret Sunshine" and "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" both have weird themes, and I'm glad that I was able to attend the most famous film festival.

-You seem worried.

The Korean movie industry has been in danger for about two years. The number of movies that came out this year is at 80. It is only a matter of time before it becomes 70 and 60. "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" is a 20 billion won project, but compared to Hollywood blockbusters, it's a small amount. Our nation's movies have the greatest competition compared to their budget. I hope this movie can be the work to revive the pride of Korean movies.

-It's your second time working with Director Kim Ji-woon after "The Foul King". He says that 'the weird' just had to be Song Kang-ho.

It turned out that way. I must have seemed weirder to the director than Jeong Woo-seong or Lee Byeong-Heon. I play the role of Tae-gu, who escapes to Japanese Manchuria and lives off loot from robbing trains. He has the persistence of a weed. He has no form but he's strong-willed.

-In some ways, all three are good and bad, and have a weird aspect to them.

That's true. A good person turns into a bad person, and a weird person turns into a good person. It was hard to find the balance, and that will be the key to view the movie in a fun way.

-There were a lot of dangerous scenes.

I was shooting the scene where I had to jump from a motorcycle into a jeep, and I was nervous because pebbles were hitting my body. We couldn't use a double, and even with safety pads on my chest and stomach, it hurt. Director Kim got more white hairs while filming this. A Western usually has a loose side, but this Korean Western is filled with fighting action. We three actors had to pray for easier scenes.

-How was acting with your juniors?

I've never thought of them as my juniors. They are just colleagues who are younger than I am. Don't they have more experience and become famous sooner than me? You can't say that I taught them anything. We got closer when we played soccer with bets on food. It's not easy to work together like this, and I think the director's ability is that big.

-"Thirst" is your next work. It seems you're doing the extremes.

"The Good, the Bad, the Weird" and "The Host"are movies you can see with your family, but "Thirst" is one that children cannot see. It was more fun while shooting "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" because I knew it was something my children could see.

-What kind of person is Kim Ok-bin, who is your opposing role in "Thirst"?

I can say this confidently, but if last year was Jeon Do-yeon's year, next year will be Kim Ok-bin's. She's fascinating and has great sensitivity. I know she's been hurt through the internet, but I advised her that it was growing pains.

-There's word that "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" has anti-Japanese sentiment and nationalism.

If you see the movie tomorrow, you'll see how wrong that question is. It's purely an entertaining movie that you can enjoy for two hours.

-No disappointment that you're not in competition?

Not at all. There is a commercial side to this, so it was not intended for competition. The screening is on the last day, and the Cannes chairperson volunteered to host it. It's no different than receiving a big award. "Indiana Jones 4" is also out of competition.

-The reason for refusing constant proposals from Hollywood or foreign films.

They are not using me at my best potential. Think about it. Would Sean Penn or Robert de Niro have played the car center owner in "Secret Sunshine"? The answer is to not do it if you can't show them your best.

-Lastly, weren't you disappointed with the low success of "The Show Must Go on"?

It was disappointing. You can't ignore the effect of the seasons. While touring Seoul and Pusan, the cherry blossom festival and the K-league were disheartening factors. My heart was torn when I thought about who would come to a dark theater during the blooming, green season.

Song Kang-ho will leave Cannes the earliest on the 25th, because of Director Park Chan-wook's "Thirst", which is aiming for next year's Berlin Film Festival.

Original Korean Article: ISPLUS

English Translation Credit: HanCinema

• 2 weeks later...

June 5, 2008

KIM Jee-woon's kimchi western sells like hot cakes

postergbw.jpg

Innovative director KIM Jee-woon presented with The Good, the Bad, and the Weird one of the most anticipated and applauded films at Festival de Cannes, which is reflected in the slate of international distribution right sales at the Cannes market by CJ Entertainment.

The kimchi western – a reference to the influence of Sergio Leone’s spaghetti western The Good, the Ugly, the Bad – stars LEE Byung-hun, SONG Kang-ho and JUNG Woo-sung, three star actors with international appeal.

So far, most interest was expressed by European and Asian buyers. Icon Film obtained the UK rights and Huayi Brothers bought the rights for the Chinese market. Innoform (Singapore) Maywin Media (Russia), Horizon International (Turkey), Independenta (Romania), and Farabi (Iran) also successfully pursued the distribution rights for The Good, the Bad, and the Weird.

KIM said that the Cannes version was not yet fully finalized. He also spoke of different versions of the film. The international version holds more references to Sergio Leone’s classic, while the Korean version will be more directed at entertainment.

The Good, the Bad, and the Weird will open in Korean cinemas in July. KIM previously showed originality in A Bittersweet Life (Dalkomhan Insaeng), A Tale of Two Sisters (Janghwa Hongryeon), and A Quiet Family (Joyonghan Gajeong).

Yi Ch'ang-ho (KOFIC)

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/KOFIC/Channel/

Captures from the KBS2 Entertainment Relay Interview by Ping at bhjwlove, thanks to ylin for the sharing at LBH thread.

thebad-kbs0805241.jpg

Song Gangho is the train robber with a tenacious spirit.

Byeongheon is the boss of a runaway gang.

Jeong Wuseong is the bounty hunter who goes after anything.

This action flick centers around one strange map.

I met the three stars of the highly anticipated film.

I met them at a studio in Seoul on the 8th.

Wuseong, Gangho, and Byeongheon are the three stars of the movie.

They were here for a photo shoot.

Watch Jeong Wuseong closely.

He was having fun with the work.

He was pretty playful.

I'm sure you're all surprised.

Host: It's hard to see all three of these men together like this.

I can't believe it. You're all here in one spot

This has never happened before.

JWS: We can hardly believed it ourselves.

Host: I hear you're the chief of a band of outlaws.

BH: Right.

Host: It feels like that part should have gone to Gangho.

SKH: !

LBH: Then no one would be left for the Weird part. LOL.

SKH: !!

Host: That's true.

BH: We're always together, and we sleep in the same room. We got close not just to each other, but with the entire crew.

Host: They say they became good friends.

What do they each think about each other?

JWS: He (SKH) would survive like bacteria even in the wildest reaches of the desert.

SKH: Bacteria?

Host: He would do well anywhere.

SKH: Well..

Host: What are his good qualities?

SKH: He's (JWS) like a roach.

SKH: Roaches never die, not even when the world ends.

Host: Right.

SKH: Right. They never die.

BH: JWS-ssi the youngest of the group, so he's the life of the party.

Host: He tries hard.

BH: Right.

Host: Let's take a closer look.

BH: He's not that funny, but he tries hard. ^^

In the background, JWS kept fooling around.

That's his brand of humor. You're really funny.

BH: He says he'll pay for our meals, but he never does. He always disappears by the time we're done eating.

Host: Where do you run off to?

SKH: Do you go home?

BH: I was just kidding. I didn't know that you'd ask like that. You're really weird.

Host: He just called me weird. What did I do?

I've never seen that side of Wuseong before.

Funny gestures from JWS: (Isn't he cute?)

Host: I guess that's your brand of humor. It somwhow stays with you.

JWS: It'll hit you by the time you're in the shower.

Host: Right. It won't hit me until then. I see.

BH: It was really dangerous throughout the shoot.

It's an action-packed movie, so the scenes were a bit risky. JWS had to do scenes on top a moving train.

SKH also exerted all of his physical strength. They had a good reason to do so well on the shoot.

BH: Gangho had these boxes of booze in his room at all times. It was the most popular room. We would always

go to his room if we felt like having a drink. That brought us all together.

JWS: We may talk of it now and laugh about the memories, but it was hard filming the movie in that harsh terrain.

These men have admirable character. They made it all this way.

SKH: Korean movies are locked in a slump right now, so we hope our movie will do well and breathe life into the industry.

JWS: It'll live up to your expectations.

BH: It's fun and really refreshing. That's all I can say.

JWS: The Good.

LBH: The Bad.

SKH: The Weird.

All: Fighting!

Good Luck! We'll be sure to catch the movie.

---

GBW highlights by Film2.0, thanks to PlanetBH0712

» full article in Korean at links provided

한국 오락영화가 도달한 절경 <놈놈놈> 최초 시사기

기사입력 2008-06-09 18:12

feature_5197_L.jpg

feature_5197_10422_M.jpg

Source: http://www.film2.co.kr/feature/feature_final.asp?mkey=184761

송강호, 이병헌, 정우성을 함께 찍었다는 게 자랑스럽다 김지운 감독 인터뷰

기사입력 2008-06-09 18:12

feature_5196_L.jpg

feature_5196_10423_M.jpg

Source: http://www.film2.co.kr/feature/feature_final.asp?mkey=184758

June 11, 2008

New movie poster for “The Good, the Bad, and the Weird”

Posted by luna6

20080610gbw2.jpg

The highly anticipated Asian Western dubbed “The Good, the Bad, and the Weird” is getting closer to its final release date. In build up for the July release date, the film has introduced a slick new poster promoting the film. If you don’t already know, “The Good, the Bad, and the Weird” is directed by Ji-woon Kim (A Bittersweet Life / A Tale of Two Sisters / The Foul King / The Quiet Family) and stars Woo-sung Jung (The Good), Byung-hun Lee (The Bad), and Kang-ho Song (The Weird). The film is set in Manchuria, China during the 1930’s and involves a quest to find a mythical map leading to gold. Exact release date still hasn’t been announced sans the month of July (keep your fingers crossed).

Source: lunapark6.com

Character poster/captures of 'The Weird' released?

June 17, 2008

'놈놈놈' 송강호, ‘이상한 놈` 캐릭터 포스터 공개!

2008061771237_2008061729641.jpg

<사진/반짝반짝 영화사>

송강호. 이병헌. 정우성 주연의 영화 <놈.놈.놈>이 화제를 모으고 있는 가운데, 특히 송강호의 캐릭터 변신이 관객들의 이목을 집중시키고 있다.

송강호는 <돼지가 우물에 빠진 날>로 영화계에 데뷔, <넘버 3>에서 말을 더듬는 ‘조필’ 역으로 강한 인상을 남긴 후, <반칙왕>, <살인의 추억>, <괴물> 그리고 <밀양> 등을 통해 폭넓은 캐릭터를 연기하며 관객들을 압도해왔다.

그런 그가 <놈놈놈>에서 맡은 ‘윤태구’는 유일무이한 개성의 ‘이상한’ 캐릭터로 말 대신 오토바이를 타고 만주 벌판을 누비는 열차털이범.

열차를 털다 우연히 손에 넣은 지도로 인해 두 ‘놈들’ 도원, 창이를 비롯, 마적단, 일본군까지 가담하게 되는 대추격전의 중심에 서게 되는 잡초 같은 생명력의 소유자다.

열차를 뒤로 훔친 돈과 보석이 들은 가방을 한 손에 들고 해맑게 웃으며 달려가는 캐릭터 스틸컷만 봐도 <놈놈놈>에서의 그의 활약이 기대를 모으고 있는 것.

송강호는 날카로운 모래바람 속 이어진 중국촬영 등 <놈놈놈>의 힘겨웠던 9개월의 촬영기간 동안 400명에 가까운 수 많은 배우와 스태프들을 이끌며 든든한 맏형으로서의 모습을 보여줬다는 후문.

1930년대 만주, 정체 불명의 지도 한 장을 둘러싸고 쫓고 쫓기는 놈들의 대추격전 <놈놈놈>은 이병헌, 정우성과 함께 송강호의 '이상한 놈' 연기변신으로 기대를 모으고 있는 작품으로, 오는 7월 17일 개봉예정이다.

디지털뉴스팀 김명신 기자 sin@hankyung.com

Source: http://www.hankyung.com/news/app/newsview....d=2008061771237

200806170749311003_1.jpg

200806170749311003_2.jpg

Source: http://news.empas.com/show.tsp/cp_nn/20080...%E7%B8%B6%0B%7D

June 20, 2008

The Official THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE WIERD Trailer Kicks richard simmons And Takes Names

Posted by Todd Brown

20080610gbw2.jpg

If not for the fact that we posted the sales promo for Tony Jaa’s Ong Bak 2 just a few days ago this new trailer for Kim Ji-Woon’s Korean western The Good, The Bad and The Weird would surely go down as the trailer of the year. The director of A Bittersweet Life and A Tale of Two Sisters has always been one of Korea’s greatest visual talents - a huge compliment considering just how well most Korean films are shot - but he has seldom been as energetic and playful as he is here. The cast is stellar, the scope of the thing impressive, the action sequences crackle the use of music is clever, and golly won’t the ladies go crazy for Lee Byung Hun’s eyeliner? Reception in Cannes was fantastic and it’s easy to see why.

You can check out the new theatrical trailer as well as the English subtitled sales promo in the Twitch Player below the break.

A couple of cool GBW clips

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/the-offici...es-nam#extended

Source: twitchfilm.net

Great responses, too ^^

June 24, 2008

Romance missing from Korean films

Two genres -- the melodrama and the romantic comedy -- used to do very well at the box office. "200-Pound Beauty" is a case in point. It deals with plastic surgery, but it is deeply rooted in the romantic comedy tradition in which love ultimately conquers all.

But Korean theaters in recent months have had few, if any, offerings that stir people to talk about the triumph of romance. The summer lineup reveals the paucity of romantic flicks.

What happened?

Last week, "Public Enemy Returns," directed by Kang Woo-suk, rose to the No. 1 slot, offering a much-anticipated reprieve to the protracted slump in the local film industry. But the film, starring Sul Kyoung-gu and Jung Jin-young, does not have any elements that can be categorized as romantic.

"Crossing," a film about North Korean defectors which is also getting a lot of attention, is about to hit theaters this week, but there is no room in this story for romance.

"The Good, The Bad, The Weird," a big-budget Korean film that unfolds in Manchuria, is also unlikely to strike a romantic chord with viewers. Although well-known Korean Wave stars Lee Byung-hun, Song Kang-ho and Jung Woo-sung play title roles -- a bandit, a train robber and a bounty hunter -- and expectations are high that the film will do well, the movie is an action extravaganza that is devoid of the typical romantic plot.

The shortage of films about love might be a result of seasonal fluctuations. During the summer season, a host of big-budget Hollywood blockbusters tends to dominate the theaters, leaving few slots for melodramas and romantic comedy films. But, even considering the seasonal factor, it seems unusual that viewers now have no chance to watch decent romantic features by Korean filmmakers.

Another intriguing trend in the summer season is that most Korean films are led by male stars. "Sunny," starring the top-rated actress Su Ae, is a welcome exception, but the overriding fact is that most Korean films do not have female actors as the leads these days. Even "Sunny," which will be released next month, is not exactly a traditional Korean romantic film, since it focuses on the Vietnam War.

"My Mighty Princess," to be released nationally this week, will come as a mighty disappointment to those who expect a true-to-form romantic comedy. Director Kwak Jae-yong, who made a big, lasting splash with "My Sassy Girl," packaged the film as a romantic comedy in the context of martial arts. But it turns out that the film is more about martial arts battles, and the romantic comedy angle is sadly pushed to the sidelines.

"My Mighty Princess" has all the potential elements of a good romantic comedy, but Kwak's priority is the colorful visual effects, with the help of wire action sequences, and he fails to build up a romance between its heroine So-hui (played by Shin Min-a) and her counterpart.

There was a boom of romantic films in 2006, but, since then, the much-favored genre has been heading downhill. Early this year, "Lovers of Six Years" with its stars Kim Ha-neul and Yoon Gye-sang, but it sold only 1.1 million tickets, falling far short of the high expectations that accompanied its release.

Late last year, leading director Han Ji-seung, who had enjoyed a high degree of popularity in the 1990s with sophisticated films such as "Yellow Ribbon" and "A Day," came back with the romantic comedy "Venus and Mars." Yet, despite the high-profile casting of Sul Kyoung-gu and Kim Tae-hee, it tanked at the box office.

Discouraged by the poor sales for romantic films in recent months, screenwriters and directors are shifting their focus to other genres, particularly thrillers and action films. Melodrama and romantic comedy fans will wait probably have to wait for quite a while.

By Yang Sung-jin (insight@heraldm.com)

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/

June 27, 2008

“The Good, the Bad, the Weird” Invited to Toronto

e080627_01.jpg

Highly touted Korean-style western “The Good, the Bad, the Weird” has been officially invited to the Gala Section of the Toronto Film Festival scheduled for September 4th.

It’s worth noting that this Korean film starring three of the nation’s most acclaimed actors will be included in the main section, while “Class,” the winner of Palme d’Or at the 2008 Cannes Film Festival, and “Gomorrah,” the 2008 Cannes Grand Prize winner, have been invited to the World Cinema Section.

“The Good, the Bad, the Weird” is also the first Korean film to be shown in the Gala Section. Previously, such acclaimed works as “King and the Clown,” “Secret Sunshine,” and “M” had made it to the Toronto Film Festival, but only to the Contemporary World Cinema Section.

The Toronto Film Festival is one of the world’s four most prestigious film festivals, together with the Cannes, the Berlin International Film Festival, and the Venice Film Festival. Already sold to 11 nations, “The Good, the Bad, the Weird” is very likely to see a greater number of buyers interested in its purchase, thanks to Toronto’s invitation. This exciting western flick will open in theaters on July 17th.

Source: KBS World

http://world.kbs.co.kr/english/entertainme...ail.htm?No=7760

tiff08logogr3.jpg

Toronto Film Fest 2008: Highlights

June 26, 2008--The Toronto International Film Festival announces 27 international selections to screen this September after premiering at film festivals the world over. Programmers have brought back some of the finest titles from Cannes, Berlin and beyond, to screen as part of the 33rd edition of the Festival running September 4 - 13, 2008.

The official website for the 2008 Toronto International Film Festival, tiff08.ca, will go live on Friday, June 27, 2008.

Ticket packages for TIFF08 will be available for purchase by Visa† cardholders as of 10am on Monday, July 7, 2008, and by cash, debit or Visa as of 10am on Monday, July 14, 2008. Purchase online at tiff08.ca, by phone at 416-968-FILM or 1-877-968-FILM or in person at the TIFFG Box Office at Manulife Centre, 55 Bloor Street West (main floor, north entrance). Box Office hours are 10am to 6pm, Monday to Saturday.

GALA PRESENTATION

The Good, The Bad, The Weird

Kim Jee-woon, South Korea

North American Premiere

m0010019st4.jpg

Drawing inspiration from Sergio Leone’s 1966 classic The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Kim (The Foul King, TIFF 2000) returns to TIFF with the first-ever “kimchi western.” This is also South Korea’s biggest budget movie ever. In the 1930s, Northeast Asia lies in chaos. The Korean Peninsula has fallen to Japanese Imperialists. Many Koreans have retreated to the vast wilds of Manchuria, including a thief named Tae-gu (The Weird). A train robbery lands Tae-gu with a mysterious map promising untold treasure, but cold-blooded hitman Chang-yi (The Bad) and bounty hunter Do-won (The Good) are also hot on the trail of the map. On the heels of them all is a larger, more powerful cast of characters, including Chinese, Russian and Korean bandits, the Japanese army and the Korean resistance. In true western style, it all builds towards the climactic final showdown – a breathtaking bullet ballet. Starring Jung Woo-sung, Lee Byung-hun, and Song Kang-ho, The Good, The Bad, The Weird is a Barunson Co. Ltd. Film Division and Grimm Pictures production, produced by Choi Jae-weon and Kim Jee-woon, and executive produced by Miky Lee.

Source: emanuellevy.com via www.tiff07.ca

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the awesomely cool highlight by PlanetBH0712 thumbup.gif

20080704165902-cover661.jpg

출 처 : blog.cine21.com

씨네21 스페셜기사: www.cine21.com

Cover_Cine660.jpg

icon_no.gif661 2008.07.08 ~ 2008.07.15

txt_index.gif

K0000014_cine661_226[X226,311].gif

Also.. don't forget the cool GBW stills at CINE21.. great caps of 'The Good', The Bad' and 'The Weird' at location, Cannes & more! :D

http://www.cine21.com/Movies/Mov_Movie/mov...ia&id=21853

June 18, 2008

Film Review: The Good, the Bad, the Weird

Bottom line: An "oriental Western" with firecracker action, Korean humor and spectacular Chinese locations.

By Maggie Lee

Festival de Cannes, Out of Competition

CANNES -- Costing not just a few dollars more than Serge Leone's spaghetti Westerns, Korean genre-twisting auteur Kim Jee-woon's $17 million homage to Leone's tour de force "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly" is a make-or-break venture that, given the precarious status of the Korean film business at the moment, could influence prospects of Korean mega-bucks film investments. Notwithstanding such pressure, the direction shows no signs of fluster, resulting in a jaunty, happy-go-lucky adventure that packs a fistful of dynamite in the spectacular showdown.

Unveiled at Cannes Out of Competition, key producer CJ Entertainment claimed it sold to selective European territories and reported more post-fest sales worldwide. Domestic and Asian (especially Japanese) audience response could be enthusiastic. Kim's genre crossover may also prod the curiosity of those traditionally raised on the Western.

gbw2poster1.jpg

One line of dialogue sums up the action in a nutshell: "Life is about chasing and being chased." The first half hour whizzes by like a stray bullet, taking in a railroad explosion, a train robbery, an ambush in the marketplace, followed by many forms of chases in exotic locations and costumes. A subplot about the legend of "The Finger Chopper" introduces fusion elements of stylishly shot martial arts stunts.

After about an hour of digressive comic relief, the film hurtles toward a grand finale at the pace of a galloping stagecoach. Lone riders, cavalry and jeeps rush against each other across a boundless arid plain in sweeping panoramic shots that proudly show off where the money went.

The film retains the outline of the original characters: a feral gangster, a wacko train robber and a bounty hunter. All are after a map of buried Manchurian dynastic treasure. Song does a cocky, charismatic turn as the Weird on autopilot, making his role less of a weasely buffoon as Leone's Tuco than a resourceful man of mystery. But he lacks the "loser" qualities that made him so human and sympathetic in comic roles for Kim Jee-woon's earlier "The Quiet Family" and "The Foul King."

Cast against type but coming up tops is housewife heartthrob Lee Byung-hun ("A Bitter Sweet Life"). As the Bad, he exudes villainy with a maniacal relish, like Jack Nicholson's Joker, and better suits the energetic mood of this film than Lee Van Cleef's inscrutable Angel Eyes. Leading romance actor Jung Woo-sung ("Daisy", "A Moment to Remember") holds his own as the Good, having grasped that his role is about poise rather than performance.

"The Good, The Bad, The Weird" fondly revisits a popular Korean subgenre in the '60s known as "Manchurian Western," set along the Chinese-Korean border in the '30s, when Japanese colonialism made China's Northeast a frontier land for resistance fighters, outlaws and carpetbaggers.

The meticulous recreation of this period backdrop is one of the film's most fascinating elements. It gives a cultural-historical dimension to the archetypal Western plot of a treasure hunt, tracing the bounty hunters' mercenary behavior to the psychological scars of lost nationhood. Location shooting is done in the Gobi Desert, China's true Wild West, adding a further touch of authenticity.

CJ Entertainment presents/Barunson/Grimm Pictures

Cast: Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun, Jung Woo-sung.

Director: Kim Jee-woon; Screenwriters: Kim Jee-woon Kim Min-seok; Producers: Choi Jae-weon, Kim Jee-woon; Executive producer: Miky Lee; Director of photography: Lee Mo-gae; Production designer: Jo Hwa-seong; Music: Dalparan; Costume designers: Gweon Yu-jin, Choi Eui-yeong; Editor: Nam Na-yeong; Sales: CJ Entertainment.

No MPAA rating, 127 minutes

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...2d82c8632179bf7