Song Kang-Ho 송강호 [“Broker”, “Emergency Declaration”]

Helena

Oh my.. :sweatingbullets: ... all the expert movie critics are really placing an incredibly HUGE amount of expectation on the movie, making it THE gauge to indicate how well Korean movies will be in 2008. :sweatingbullets:

It's no wonder that the production is really taking the time to finish filming despite the initial early 2008 release date.

---

January 22, 2008

Local films go for mega flicks in 2008

21215115pj5.jpg

Far left: Jeong Jae-yeong in “Shingijeon,” and above, Jung Woo-sung

in “The Good, the Bad and the Weird.” [JoongAng Ilbo]

Chungmuro, Korea’s answer to Hollywood, had a gloomy 2007.

Despite major hits such as “D-War” and “May 18” and Jeon Do-youn winning the Best Actress award at the 2007 Cannes International Film Festival, overall revenue dropped significantly.

With the number of people going to the movies decreasing for the first time in 11 years, some commentators claim that the decade-long Chungmuro renaissance is finished.

The JoongAng Ilbo surveyed 25 movie experts, including producers, investors and critics, on movies earmarked for release this year. Included in the survey were the movie critics Kang Yu-jeong and Jeon Chan-il as well as Jeong Seung-hae, the owner of Achim Productions. For them, the renaissance is still alive, though not in the first bud of youth.

Two trends describe Korean movies this year: blockbusters and period movies.

According to these 25 movie buffs, the most promising movie for 2008 is “The Good, the Bad and the Weird.”

It’s a Korean-style western set in Manchuria, the historical name of three Chinese provinces: Heilongjiang, Jilin and Liaon.

Many Korean freedom fighters made their home there during the Japanese colonial rule in Korea.

The 10 billion won ($10.6 million) blockbuster tells the story of three guys ― a bounty hunter, a hit man and a train hijacker ― who are hunting for the same treasure.

The cast is very strong with Song Gang-ho, Lee Byung-hun and Jung Woo-sung taking the main roles.

Jung plays the cool good guy who pursues criminals for money. Lee plays the miserable bad guy who kills people for money. Song plays the witty weirdo who rides a motorcycle and hijacks trains.

The movie will open in theaters in the summer.

The respondents agreed that Kim Jee-woon, the director of this movie, produces high-quality comedy, horror and film noir.

“He adds a new flavor in each genre he directs,” they said.

Others said, “This movie will be an indicator of how well the Chungmuro industry will fare in 2008” and “Successful movies always have something refreshing in them.”

Another movie many respondents recommend to watch out for is “Modern Boy.”

It’s set in Gyeongseong, the former name of Seoul under Japanese colonial rule.

It’s about a man named Lee Hae-myung who doesn’t care about reality, but only seeks pleasure and romance. Everything changes after Lee meets the mysterious Jo Nan-shil through a college friend at Tokyo University.

The movie is about a dangerous kind of love that transforms a lightheaded womanizer into a fervent freedom fighter.

Director Jeong Ji-woo wanted a charismatic actress to play Jo. He needed to persuade the audience why the leading man was so obsessed with this woman.

“Her character must be so engaging and powerful that even if you believe she’s lying, you just hold her hand and follow her when she asks, ‘Come with me?’”

One of Korea’s top actresses, Kim Hye-soo, is perfectly cast as Jo.

The film buffs we surveyed said this movie is distinguished for its new approach to filming the 1930s and for its great directing.

“The visuals are terrific and the characters intriguing,” one of the respondents said.

Audiences will be able to watch “Modern Boy” in April.

Another period movie also caught the critics’ eye. “He’s Far Away,” still being filmed in Thailand, will open in theaters this summer.

It’s set in the Vietnam War in the 1970s. Many Vietnam War-era movies have been made, but this movie is one of the few that tells the story from a woman’s point of view.

Suni has been living a quiet life, but her world is turned upside down when her husband is drafted to fight in Vietnam. Suni misses him so much that she decides to join an entertainment support unit bound for Vietnam.

“It was refreshing to see the war from a woman’s point of view,” was one response in our survey. “The audience will be able to enjoy the music, a poignant story and the spectacle” was another.

Another promising blockbuster is “Shingijeon,” directed by Kim Yu-jin.

This 10 billion won movie is also a period piece. It goes back much further than the movies mentioned above.

It’s set in the Joseon Dynasty (1392 to 1910). Shingijeon is the name of a weapon that King Sejong, the creator of Hangul, the Korean alphabet, ordered his scientists to develop in the 15th century.

The rocket-propelled weapon fires multiple arrows carrying small bombs over a great range. The production team made the now-defunct weapon using authentic designs from history books.

The movie is filled with epic battle sequences between secret agents assigned to protect the development of this weapon of mass destruction. The Chinese do not want the weapon to be developed.

Possible parallels with the world today and the problem of the proliferation of nuclear weapons?

Ahn Sung-ki plays King Sejong, and Jeong Jae-yeong plays Seol-ju, who falls in love with the daughter of one of the key scientists working on the weapon.

Seol-ju has to protect his love interest from a gang of Chinese agents determined to stop the Koreans and their arms industry. The movie will arrive in theaters in April.

All the movies mentioned so far are mega-budget epics that cost between 7 billion won and 10 billion won. But the more small-scale “Night and Day” also excited the survey participants. Kim Yu-jeong is a painter who runs off to Paris where he falls in love with a Korean student. But Kim is already married.

Those that participated in the survey agreed that what is most promising about the 2008 releases is their “uniqueness.”

“People don’t want to watch a movie that reminds them of another movie they saw before. They get tired of watching the same stories over and over again,” was a general comment.

“One of the secret weapons of the Korean movie industry over the last five years has been its ability to produce refreshing commercial movies,” said another.

One person criticized the film industry in general. “Rather than blaming illegal downloading of movies and high ticket prices, Chungmuro needs to refresh itself.”

Not everyone agrees on the health of Chungmuro, but we’ll soon know ― when the 2008 movies finally open.

By Lee Hoo-nam JoongAng Ilbo/ Lee Yang-kyoung Staff Reporter [estyle@joongang.co.kr]

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2885386

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously :sweatingbullets: .. I don't know what to say after reading this.. first reaction was numb.. especially after reading the 'spoiler'.. but.. I too, wouldn't mind Kim Hye Soo acting with Song Kang Ho. :sweatingbullets:

---

January 29, 2008

Chan-wook Park’s “Evil Live” - brief update

Posted by luna6

Following up on the article Chan-wook Park’s busy 2008 (Evil Live, New York I Love You, Hongdangmu, Snow Train), there has been an update on Park’s vampire/adultry flick “Evil Live”. The plot for “Evil Live” has been changed a bit, where the main character, a priest (played by Kang-ho Song), travels abroad to Eastern Europe to study. There he becomes the infamous Dracula. After his transformation he meets a married couple and goes on to have an affair with the wife. Furthermore …

Chan-wook Park is having difficulties in casting an actress to play the wife due to heavy requirements for nudity and sex scenes with Dracula. I would bet if they had casted Joe Odagiri as Dracula they wouldn’t have this problem. Casting is still on going for the film.

Credits to http://lunapark6.com/chan-wook-parks-evil-...ief-update.html

Now that I've read the actual article on this...

You can throw me huge snowballs if you like but why.. oh why.. is Dir. PCW so inspired to be like Ang Lee? I know that SKH is a superb actor and the fact that he's been chosen for the role even before the movie itself.. just like GBW.. shows how much he's so sought-after and that he's incredibly good in what he does.. but something too explicit like.. Lust, Caution.. :wacko: *speechless*

It's no wonder why many is already declining.. despite that it's the collaboration of top director-actor, PCW and SKH.. :sweatingbullets:

---

January 30, 2008

Director Park Chan-wook's latest film 'Bat' having difficulties casting a main female character due to high sexual references

20080130pcwjl4.jpg

Director Park Chan-wook is having difficulties in finding a main female actor for his latest film "Bat" due to high sexual references.

Director Park Chan-wook earned an international reputation from his last film, "Old Boy". An excellent actor, Song Kang-ho is already chosen as the main male character. However, many female actors declined to accept the role.

The film is already receiving enormous attention in local and international market, in which the French film distributor, "Wild Side" already bought its copyrights even before the film began shooting. As Director Park Chan-woo said, the plot is a love story of a vampire.

However, as evident from Director Park Chan-wook's previous films such as "Old Boy" and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance", his love story wouldn't be an another Hollywood cliché love films. According to a source, the film "Bat" is going to be one of horrific and shocking gothic film.

Despites what is known to the public, Song Kang-ho do not become a vampire from his scientific experiment failure but is someone who has a rather peculiar occupation where he meets a group of people in a secluded place. Meanwhile, he meets a married couple and falls in love with the wife. The sex scenes in the film will be as highly sexual as of those from the recent film, "Lust Caution". This is why many top female actresses are hesitating to be involved in this 'Gothic melo-film'. Even though Song Kang-ho have finished shooting "The Good, The Bad and The Weird", nothing is heard about any progressions made for the film.

A staff from the producer team said, "There are few female actresses who are highly motivated to take the role and we also consider a new face like "Wei Tang" from "Lust Caution". We are not in hurry, because this is the very first part of the preparation stage and we are open to many possibilities".

Translated at www.hancinema.net

From original article at kr.news.yahoo.com

Guest kdramafanusa

^ It's just mentioned in papers that filming will start in February.

Oh Rubie, SKH is competing with my favorite actor (Tony Leung) at Asian Film Awards. Sigh...

^ It's just mentioned in papers that filming will start in February.

Oh Rubie, SKH is competing with my favorite actor (Tony Leung) at Asian Film Awards. Sigh...

Ohh.. so.. it's no rest for our Mr. Song, huh.. right after GBW straight to Bat/Live Evil. Thanks kdramafanusa for the update.. we'll have to wait for the rest of the cast to be announced.

Yupyup.. SKH and Tony Leung at the upcoming Asian Awards, vying for the Best Actor award.. double sigh. Only one would win.. right.. but SKH is awesome in Secret Sunshine.. and Tony is.. very bold in Lust, Caution. I won't say much about the movies but these two are the best of Asia.

Yet Tony Leung is an all-time fave since school time :blush: .. arrgh.. he's just an incredible actor.. going from strength to strength.. stronger.. bolder.. better.

May.. the best man win. :blush: I think.. if either one didn't win.. then.. there'll be a huge upset.. :mellow:

I've seen 'Lust, Caution'..i think Tony Leung is just..mad-sexy..as in doing the famous acts.. :excl:

He's so good in that movie..*phew*

Now..Song Kang Ho is going to do a similar thing??.. :blush: ..wow..Wonder who could fill in as the leading lady....hard time to get one now.. :P

Yeah may the best guy win..no doubt both are Asia's incredible actors..

Guest kdramafanusa

It's Song Kang-ho's 'Show' All the Way

'The Show Must Go On' a vehicle for Korean star's amazing talent

By reporter Kyu Hyun Kim (qhyunkim)

qhyunkim_381592_1[670630].jpg

ⓒ2007 Lotte Entertainment

Kang In-gu (Song Kang-ho, "The Host," "The Secret Sunshine") is a middle-rank boss of a criminal gang. Recently, he is suffering from chronic fatigue, taken to falling asleep while caught in a traffic stop. His business is not exactly booming. His attractive wife Mi-ryung (Park Ji-young) has had it with his broken promise to open a fruits and vegetables shop after washing his hands from racketeering and extortion business. His equally attractive teenage daughter Hee-soon (Kim So-eun, "Someone behind Me") wishes he were dead. His supposed colleague Sang-jin (Yoon Je-mun, "The Host," again typecast as a mean thug) is looking for a chance to stick a knife in his gut, both figuratively and literally. The only sympathetic figure around him appears to be his childhood buddy Hyung-jin (Oh Dal-soo, "Old Boy") who now works for a rival gang.

"The Show Must Go On" comes at the end of the cycle of interesting film noir/urban crime dramas released in Korea between 2006 and 2007: "Bloody Ties," "City of Violence," "Dirty Carnival" and "Soo." These films all drew upon divergent genre trends and histories -- Fukasaku Kinji's dryly violent treatises on the corruption of authority, John Woo-style macho romanticism, Martin Scorsese's '70s oeuvre -- but spun their own uniquely Korean takes on organized crime as a stand-in for the cutthroat hyper-capitalist contemporary Korean society. "The Show Must Go On" is written and directed by Han Jae-rim, and those who have seen his "Rules of Dating" will not be surprised by the annoyingly "hip" (almost to the point of camp) and surprisingly honest ways he tackles the genre.

Han pushes the central gangsters-are-regular people conceit as far as he could in terms of story line, but he is not the kind of director interested in showing us gritty details of criminal life, nor does he truly engage with the moral conundrums inherent in the setup. While displaying a commendable level of control and sensitivity toward the performances, Han's sub-Dogme herky-jerky handheld camera and Cokehead-did-this montage cut is so relentless it becomes physically exhaustive. I thought it was merely a questionable stylistic choice in "Rules of Dating," but after watching 1 hour and 40 minutes of the seemingly ADD-impacted filmmaking in "Show," I am having a serious doubt as to whether director Han is capable of making a movie in any other way.

The bulk of the film's weight is in any case borne by its star Song Kang-ho, whose lead performance is nothing short of brilliant. With his dead-on-the-target portrayal of a thoroughly non-special early-1940s gangster, on the heels of his stunning supporting turn in "Secret Sunshine," Song proves again that he deserves to be declared a living national treasure by the Korean government. Song is equally proficient in effortlessly projecting life-size humor (no other Korean actor, professional comedians included, can make accidental spilling of a water bucket so uproariously funny), split-second transition in emotional expressions from pathos to self-pity and back to obtuse macho defiance, and anger and frustration as his simple desire to fit in with the upper-middle class lifestyle is met with one failure after another. And when an old-fashioned tugging-at-heartstring is called for, he delivers that, too, like gangbusters: the climactic sequence is entirely a series of reaction shots from In-gu to the videotape mail of his children and wife having a rollicking good time in Canada without him, and the change of his mood from happiness to sadness and then utter misery (all the while slurping ramen noodles) is spectacular.

Director Han seems to be commenting on the absurdity of the so-called "Wild Goose Father" syndrome (occasioned by the foreign-studies craze) here, but the sequence has such an authentic emotional wallop only because Song is in it. I can't think of any other Korean actor who could have made it work. Song is ably assisted by the perennial heavy Oh Dal-soo, whose surprisingly silky voice and clear diction is put to excellent use, and two beautiful actresses Park Ji-young and Kim So-eun, well conveying the correct pitch of love-hate relationships they have with the dunderheaded patriarch.

"The Show Must Go On" is ultimately not a very satisfying film: it's certainly no "Sopranos" or even "Long Good Friday." I must say I still prefer "Dark Carnival" or even "Bloody Ties," more frankly genre-bound and devoid of high-end pretensions, to this "Show," but it is worth watching just to catch Song Kang-ho turning in another of his masterful portrayals of ordinary Korean men.

2008/01/28 오후 7:24

© 2008 Ohmynews

http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/ar...92&rel_no=1

Guest kdramafanusa

You can throw me huge snowballs if you like but why.. oh why.. is Dir. PCW so inspired to be like Ang Lee? I know that SKH is a superb actor and the fact that he's been chosen for the role even before the movie itself.. just like GBW.. shows how much he's so sought-after and that he's incredibly good in what he does.. but something too explicit like.. Lust, Caution.. :wacko: *speechless*

It's no wonder why many is already declining.. despite that it's the collaboration of top director-actor, PCW and SKH.. :sweatingbullets:

If Dir PCW is going forward with the explicit scenes, then he must feel that they are necessary to the story. Just like in Lust Caution, Tony Leung trusted Dir Lee completely to emerge himself into that role under his direction.

Yet Tony Leung is an all-time fave since school time :blush: .. arrgh.. he's just an incredible actor.. going from strength to strength.. stronger.. bolder.. better.

May.. the best man win. :blush: I think.. if either one didn't win.. then.. there'll be a huge upset.. :mellow:

I've been his fan for more than 2 decades, he's an amazing actor. :blush:

I'm also interested in J-movie Tokyo Tower.

I've seen 'Lust, Caution'..i think Tony Leung is just..mad-sexy..as in doing the famous acts.. :excl:

He's so good in that movie..*phew*

Now..Song Kang Ho is going to do a similar thing??.. :blush: ..wow..Wonder who could fill in as the leading lady....hard time to get one now.. :P

Yeah may the best guy win..no doubt both are Asia's incredible actors..

I haven't seen Lust, Caution yet, might have to give in soon; I love Ang Lee's movies (Wedding Banquet, Sense & Sensibility), but I'm nervous about this one.

Agree with you & Rubie that Tony Leung & Song Kang-ho are incredible actors. Definitely 2 of Asia's very best.

'The Show Must Go On' review is just awesome. Previously it was mentioned at this thread as well as another (award) thread that a second Best Actor winner be introduced if and when SKH is in the running as well.. to ensure someone else gets the award as well. :D

Now.. the writer is suggesting making SKH a 'living national treasure'.. as funny as it may seem.. is really a good & realistic point. ^^

Thanks kdramafanusa, this is an awesome & very straight-to-the-point review. Cool.

The bulk of the film's weight is in any case borne by its star Song Kang-ho, whose lead performance is nothing short of brilliant. With his dead-on-the-target portrayal of a thoroughly non-special early-1940s gangster, on the heels of his stunning supporting turn in "Secret Sunshine," Song proves again that he deserves to be declared a living national treasure by the Korean government.

If Dir PCW is going forward with the explicit scenes, then he must feel that they are necessary to the story. Just like in Lust Caution, Tony Leung trusted Dir Lee completely to emerge himself into that role under his direction.

I've been his fan for more than 2 decades, he's an amazing actor. :blush:

I'm also interested in J-movie Tokyo Tower.

I haven't seen Lust, Caution yet, might have to give in soon; I love Ang Lee's movies (Wedding Banquet, Sense & Sensibility), but I'm nervous about this one.

Agree with you & Rubie that Tony Leung & Song Kang-ho are incredible actors. Definitely 2 of Asia's very best.

Oops.. I think I was a bit irrational at first. :sweatingbullets: Watching Tony Leung in Lust, Caution (rubes' a really curious cat).. I was like.. speechless. :o And I've been liking Tony since schooldays.. seeing him doing that.. kinda.. you know. :sweatingbullets: But thinking straight.. he's just awesome. And he is Asia's BEST ACTOR witn an incredible performance & presence every time.

I've also read the feedback at Twitchfilm .. names of actresses being suggested to play against SKH in the new PCW movie. High on the list is Bae Doo Na, JDY and Moon So Ri. BDN acted with SKH in 'The Host'.. both were brilliant in their respective roles. No problem with pairing up, which will be interesting if it's the case. But what about Kim Hye Soo? Is she too visibly attractive and daring although I think she's really getting to show good performance, better and better each time. At least they've never acted together before.

I guess.. my initial boo-hoo.. was not knowing what to expect but SKH will surely deliver. It's just.. something so.. different (!!???).. a la 'Lust, Caution' can be too overwhelming :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets: .. to see him in. Hahaa.. I love his JSA/The Host roles but an incrediblly talented actor will definitely shine in anything.

ps: kdramafanusa.. which one is the Tokyo Tower movie? I love Sense & Sensibility. :blush: But Ang Lee has also done.. Brokeback Mountain.. so.. probably.. Lust, Caution (and the degree of raw explicity)..is already expected from him?

I definitely will watch 'The Show Must Go On'!!..And 'Evil Live' got me all curious too..sex, blood, Priest and Dracula???!....Of course the most anticipated 'GBW'...wow..Mr Song..you are definitely THE hot man..!

Guest kdramafanusa

^ Yup Inez, GBW is highly anticipated. =)

I've also read the feedback at Twitchfilm .. names of actresses being suggested to play against SKH in the new PCW movie. High on the list is Bae Doo Na, JDY and Moon So Ri.

MSR mentioned in interviews that she considered those scenes as acting, similar view with Tony Leung. Let me look for her quote, I will be back to edit this post.

Oops.. I think I was a bit irrational at first. :sweatingbullets: Watching Tony Leung in Lust, Caution (rubes' a really curious cat).. I was like.. speechless. :o And I've been liking Tony since schooldays.. seeing him doing that.. kinda.. you know. :sweatingbullets: But thinking straight.. he's just awesome. And he is Asia's BEST ACTOR witn an incredible performance & presence every time.

Rubie, I don't know how I'll react to Lust Caution too; that's why I'm been holding off on it.

I love Tony's acting style - his facial expression can convey so much emotion (pain, sadness, happiness, etc) without having to say anything (verbally).

ps: kdramafanusa.. which one is the Tokyo Tower movie? I love Sense & Sensibility. :blush: But Ang Lee has also done.. Brokeback Mountain.. so.. probably.. Lust, Caution (and the degree of raw explicity)..is already expected from him?

Tokyo Tower is a Japanese movie with actor Joe Adagiri who's one of the nominees for Best Actor. He'll be starring with actress Lee Na Young (Please Teach Me English, Someone Special) in director Kim Ki Duk's new film Bimong. LNY's one of my favorites, she was last seen in movie Maundy Thursday with actor Kang Dong Won.

Best Actor

1 Jack KAO God Man Dog Taiwan

2 KASE Ryo I Just Didn't Do It Japan

3 Tony LEUNG Lust, Caution Taiwan/ Chinese Mainland, The / USA

4 Jet LI Warlords, The Chinese Mainland, The/ Hong Kong

5 Joe ODAGIRI Tokyo Tower: Mom and Me, and Sometimes Dad Japan

6 SONG Kang-ho Secret Sunshine South Korea

Guest cparker

^ Yup Inez, GBW is highly anticipated. =)

MSR mentioned in interviews that she considered those scenes as acting, similar view with Tony Leung. Let me look for her quote, I will be back to edit this post.

i like MSR and surely she can match Song kang Ho's versatility. hope they choose her for this film.

Rubie, I don't know how I'll react to Lust Caution too; that's why I'm been holding off on it.

I love Tony's acting style - his facial expression can convey so much emotion (pain, sadness, happiness, etc) without having to say anything (verbally).

Tokyo Tower is a Japanese movie with actor Joe Adagiri who's one of the nominees for Best Actor. He'll be starring with actress Lee Na Young (Please Teach Me English, Someone Special) in director Kim Ki Duk's new film Bimong. LNY's one of my favorites, she was last seen in movie Maundy Thursday with actor Kang Dong Won.

Full article with more movie updates & location pics at the GBW movie thread

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?sho...4273&st=220

January 28, 2008

Major Korean Films Offered With English Subtitles

080127p16majormainhl0.jpg

CGV Yongsan in central Seoul will devote a screen to the exclusive showing of popular domestic movies with English-language subtitles, an unprecedented move by a movie theater.

"It's to serve the many foreigners in Korea who want to watch Korean films. They won't have to wait for DVDs with English-language subtitles anymore," Chong Choe from CJ Entermatinment's International Strategy team told The Korea Times.

"This is just the beginning, not just a one-time deal," he said. The entertainment giants will select movies with mass appeal to show at the exclusive screen throughout the year.

Following "A Man Who Was Superman," this year's line-up include the retro film "Modern Boy," starring Kim Hye-soo and Park Hae-il, due for release in April; "The Good, The Bad, The Weird," with superstar trio Lee Byung-hun, Song Kang-ho and Jung Woo-sung in June; and the historical epic drama "The Divine Weapon" and director Park Chan-wook's upcoming (unnamed) film project later on in the year.

For the time being, expatriates in Seoul may now expand their movie-going habits to include not just Hollywood blockbusters but local films as well. CGV Yongsan is connected to Yongsan station on subway line 1 and near exit 4 of Sinyongsan station on line 4.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

January 30, 2008

Epic Chinese Films Will Come Onscreen

"The Warlords" is the talk of the town as it stars not just one ― but three ― Asian superstars: Andy Lau, Jet Li and Takeshi Kaneshiro, who all have a large fan base here. They appear as three sworn brothers whose relationship goes sour in the midst of warfare and political intrigue.

Unlike a lot of epic films, the characters can't be clearly labeled as good or evil. The three main characters are realistic sketches of the human condition as they are constantly torn between virtue and sin.

Chan visited Korea earlier this month and stopped by the set of Kim Ji-woon's "The Good, The Bad, The Weird," which, like "The Warlords," is filmed in China and stars three big actors. Chan and Kim became buddies when they met for the 2002 Korea-Hong Kong-Thailand joint-produced omnibus film "Three." The two talked about the difficulties of working under harsh weather conditions as well as how wonderful it was to work with talented actors.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

Nov 27, 2007 'Good' release bumped to summer

By Mark Russell

SEOUL -- Kim Jee-woon's Manchurian western "The Good, the Bad and the Weird," perhaps Korea's most anticipated film of 2008, has seen its domestic release pushed back to early summer, The Hollywood Reporter learned over the weekend.

The story of Korean outlaws in 1930s Manchuria, "The Good" had been scheduled to open around Lunar New Year, in early February, but shooting delays to the ambitious project have forced the production company to aim for the lucrative summer season instead.

"Actually, we like it better," said Chi Sang-eun, manager at Cineclick Asia, the movie's international sales company. "We were planning on presenting the movie at Cannes anyway, so now we can try to premiere it there. This is ideal for us."

With director Kim, who directed such critical and commercial successes as "Tale of Two Sisters" and "A Bittersweet Life," and three of Korea's biggest stars -- Lee Byung-hun, Jung Woo-sung and Song Kang-ho -- "The Good" has been closely watched since it was announced in early 2007.

In addition to delays, difficulties on the complicated shoot have caused the budget to rise above its slated $11 million.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Guest kdramafanusa

CHOSUN Nov.17,2006 10:13 KST

Which Korean Stars Have the Greatest Pulling Power?

Who is the actor in Chungmuro today who can mobilize the greatest number of fans? And just how many tickets can be sold on the basis of that actor’s name alone? We asked a group of 12 producers and PR execs that know actors’ commercial value best who in Korea can “open” a movie and ranked the top 20 according to the result. It is the fourth survey of its kind and covers any actor who starred in at least one major film.

053023054287600467.jpg

^ Song Kang-ho, Jang Dong-gun, Cho Seung-woo

886900227816122524.jpg

^ Lee Young-ae, Jeon Do-yeon, Jeon Ji-hyun

Top Stars

Song Kang-ho ranked first on the star power list among all actors and actresses. He is thought to have enough gravity to bring at least 1.28 million to the theaters, beating out last year’s winner Jang Dong-gun (1.15 million). Proving his worth again this year in the lead of “The Host”, Korea’s greatest box office success, Song already landed the top spot in 2003. Of 12 experts that took part in the survey, 10 pointed to Song as the actor with the greatest ability to open a film. He ranked second last year.

Amongst women, perennial favorite Lee Young-ae came first with an estimated opening power of some 900,000 viewers. In the last three surveys, the actress came third. Topping the list despite the fact that she has not appeared in a film since last year’s “Sympathy for Lady Vengeance” is an additional feat. The failure of films starring last year’s no. 1 and 2, Moon Geun-young (“Love Me Not”) and Jeon Ji-hyun (“Daisy”), to live up to audience expectations also played a role in Lee’s rise to the top.

Familiar Faces

Among those trailing the two were a galaxy of stars in their 30s who managed to improve their standing, led by Jeon Do-yeon (second), Uhm Jung-hwa (ninth), Kim Hye-soo (11th) in the women’s category, and Hwang Jung-min (eighth) and Lee Byung-hun (ninth) in the men’s. Of particular note is Kim Hye-soo, unable even to make the top 20 last year following a string of appearances in box office disappointments and overall lack of good luck. She soared to 11th this time around after she landed a part that seemed perfect for her in “War of Flowers.” In a year when competition was especially fierce, their ranking shows the tried and true commercial value of such stars.

Rising Stars

The biggest surprise was Cho In-sung. Not even included on the list last year, his performance in “A Dirty Carnival” brought him recognition as an actor and the fifth spot on the list. Nos. 3 to 5 on the list Cho Seung-woo, Kang Dong-won and Cho In-sung look like the glue that will hold Chungmuro together. Hyun Bin (16th) and Lee Jun-ki (19th) also garnered plaudits for their parts this year. There were no new female stars on the list, but Song Hye-kyo (14th), Choi Kang-hee (19th) and Goh Hyun-jeong (20) were all either in their first film or part of hits that brought them new recognition as actors.

Endangered Species

The two stars whose draw dwindled the most this year were Kwon Sang-woo and Kang Hye-jeong. No. 3 last year, Kwon was not part of any box office successes this year, and found himself amid a swirl of rumors that cost him 10 spots on the list. Rising like a comet last year, Kim Hye-jeong was in the flop “Love Phobia,” which sent her plummeting again from fifth to 18th.

Guest kdramafanusa

ALL-TIME BOX OFFICE RECORDS [DOMESTIC FILMS]

RANK / FILM / TICKETS SOLD / YEAR

1. The Host - 13,019,740 (2006)

- Song Kang-ho, Byeon Hee-bong, Park Hae-il, Bae Doo-na, Ko Ah-seong

2. The King And The Clown - 12,302,831 (2005)

- Kam Woo-seong, Jeong Jin-young, Kang Seong-yeon, Lee Joon-ki, Jang Hang-seon

3. Taegukgi - 11,746,135 (2004)

- Jang Dong-gun, Won Bin, Lee Eun-joo, Kong Hyeong-jin, Jang Min-ho

4. Silmido - 11,074,000 (2003)

- Seol Kyeong-gu, Ahn Seong-ki, Heo Joon-ho, Jeong Jae-young, Im Won-hee

5. D-War - 8,420,000 (2007)

- Jason Behr, Amanda Brooks, Rober Forster, Aimee Garcia, Chris Mulkey

6. Friend - 8,134,500 (2001)

- Yoo Oh-seong, Jang Dong-gun, Seo Tae-hwa, Jeong Woon-taek, Kim Bo-kyeong

7. Welcome To Dongmakgol - 8,008,622 (2005)

- Shin Ha-gyoon, Jeong Jae-young, Kang Hye-jeong, Seo Jae-kyeong, Im Ha-ryong

8. May 18 - 7,280,000 (2007)

- Kim Sang-kyeong, Ahn Seong-ki, Lee Yo-won, Lee Joon-ki, Park Cheol-min

9. Tazza: The High Rollers (aka The War Of Flower) - 6,847,777 (2006)

- Jo Seung-woo, Kim Hye-soo, Baek Yoon-sik, Yoo Hae-jin, Kim Eung-soo

10. 200 Pounds Beauty - 6,619,498 (2006)

- Kim Ah-joong, Joo Jin-mo, Seong Dong-il, Kim Hyeon-sook, Im Hyeon-shik

11. Shiri - 6,210,000 (1999)

- Han Seok-kyu, Choi Min-sik, Kim Yoon-jin, Song Kang-ho, Yoon Joo-sang

12. My Boss, My Teacher - 6,105,431 (2006)

- Jeong Joon-ho, Kim Sang-joong, Jeong Woong-in, Jeong Woon-taek, Kang Seong-pil

13. JSA (Joint Security Area) - 5,830,000 (2000)

- Lee Young-ae, Lee Byeong-heon, Song Kang-ho, Kim Tae-woo, Sin Ga-gyoon

14. Marrying The Mafia 2 - 5,635,266 (2005)

- Shin Hyeon-joon, Kim Won-hee, Kim Soo-mi, Tak Jae-hoon, Kong Hyeong-jin

15. Marrying The Mafia - 5,021,001 (2002)

- Jeong Joon-ho, Kim Jeong-eun, Yoo Dong-geun, Seong Ji-roo, Park Sang-wuk

16. Marathon - 5,148,022 (2005)

- Jo Seung-woo, Kim Mi-sook, Lee Ki-young, Ahn Nae-sang, Kim Seon-jae

17. Memories Of Murder - 5,101,645 (2003)

- Song Kang-ho, Kim Sang-kyeong, Kim Roi-ra, Song Jae-ho, Byeon Hee-bong

18. My Sassy Girl - 4,852,845 (2001)

- Jeon Ji-hyeon, Cha Tae-hyeon, Song Ok-sook, Kim In-moon, Han Jin-hee

19. My Tutor Friend - 4,809,871 (2003)

- Kim Ha-neul, Kwon Sang-woo

20. Kick The Moon - 4,353,800 (2001)

- Lee Seong-jae, Cha Seung-won, Kim Hye-soo, Lee Jong-soo, Lee Won-jong

21. My Wife Is A Gangster - 4,180,900 (2001)

- Sin Eun-kyeong, Park Sang-myeon, Ahn Jae-mo, Kim In-kwon, Jang Se-jin

22. Typhoon - 4,094,395 (2005)

- Jang Dong-gun, Lee Jeong-jae, Lee Mi-yeon, Kim Kap-soo

23. The Way Home - 4,091,000 (2002)

- Yoon Seung-ho, Kim Eul-boon, Dong Hyo-hee, Min Kyeong-hoon

24. Sex Is Zero - 4,089,900 (2002)

- Im Chang-jeong, Ha Ji-won, Choi Seong-gook, Yoo Chae-yeong, Jeong Min

25. Another Public Enemy - 3,911,356 (2005)

- Seol Kyeong-gu, Jeong Joon-ho, Kang Shin-il, Park Geung-hyeong, Byeon Hee-bong

26. Hanbando - 3,880,808 (2006)

- Jo Jae-hyeon, Cha In-pyo, Ahn Seong-ki, Moon Seong-geun, Kang Shin-il

27. Hi, Dharma - 3,746,000 (2001)

- Park Shin-yang, Jeong Jae-yeong, Park Sang-myeon, Kang Seong-jin, Kim Soo-ro

28. Sympathy For Lady Vengeance - 3,648,808 (2005)

- Lee Young-ae, Choi Min-sik, Kim Si-hoo, Nam Il-woo, Kim Byeong-ok

29. Forever The Moment - 3,553,595 (2008)

- Moon So-ri, Kim Jeong-eun, Uhm Tae-woong, Kim Ji-young, Jo Eun-ji

30. Marrying The Mafia 3 - 3,464,516 (2006)

- Shin Hyeon-joon, Tak Jae-hoon, Kim Won-hee, Kim Soo-mi, Kong Hyeong-jin

31. Untold Scandal - 3,345,268 (2003)

- Jeon Do-yeon, Lee Mi-sook, Bae Yong-joon, Jo Hyeon-jae, Lee So-yeon

32. My Boss, My Hero - 3,302,000 (2001)

- Jeong Joon-ho, Jeong Woong-in, Jeong Woon-taek, Oh Seung-eun, Song seon-mi

33. Old Boy - 3,260,000 (2003)

- Choi Min-sik, Yoo Ji-tae, Kang Hye-jeong, Yoon Jin-seo, Kim Byeong-ok

34. Voice Of A Murderer (His Voice) - 3,245,857 (2007)

- Seol Kyeong-gu, Kim Nam-joo, Kim Young-cheol, Kang Dong-won, Song Yeong-chang

35. My Little Bride - 3,149,500 (2004)

- Moon Geun-yeong, Kim Rae-won, Han Jin-hee, Kim In-moon, Kim Hye-ok

36. Our Happy Time (Maundy Thursday) - 3,132,320 (2006)

- Kang Dong-won, Lee Na-young, Yoon Yeo-jeong, Kang Shin-il, Jeong Yeong-sook

37. Oh! Brothers - 3,125,256 (2003)

- Lee Jeong-jae, Lee Beom-soo, Lee Moon-sik, Ryoo Seung-soo, Kwon Tae-won

38. Once Upon A Time In High School - 3,115,767 (2004)

- Kwon Sang-woo, Lee Jeong-jin, Han Ga-in, Kim In-kwon, Park Hyo-joon

39. A Tale Of Two Sisters - 3,110,000 (2003)

- Moon Geun-young, Im Soo-jeong, Yeom Jeong-ah, Kim Kap-soo, Woo Gi-hong

40. Mapado - 3,090,467 (2005)

- Lee Moon-sik, Lee Jeong-jin, Yeo Woon-kye, Kim Soo-mi, Kim Eul-dong

41. Jail Breakers - 3,073,919 (2002)

- Seol Kyeong-gu, Cha Seung-won, Song Yoon-ah, Kang Seong-jin, Kang Shin-il

42. You Are My Sunshine - 3,051,134 (2005)

- Jeon Do-yeon, Hwang Jeong-min, Nah Moon-hee, Jeong Yoo-seok, Seo Joo-hee

43. Le Grand Chef - 3,028,713 (2007)

- Kim Kang-woo, Im Won-hee, Lee Ha-na, Jeong Eun-pyo, Kim Sang-ho

Original Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_Korea (Data from Koreanfilm.org, Film 2.0)

Cast Information: http://www.hancinema.net/

New Entry: "Forever The Moment" (Data from KOFIC, up to Feb 8, 2008).

^ Thanks for the updates, kdramafanusa.. especially fitting mentions for SKH. :blush:

--- This just came out at Berlinale 2008, with both movies.. co-incidently.. starring SKH. :D

58ifblogotd6.gif

February 9, 2008

CJ Entertainment turns double play

By Stuart Kemp

BERLIN -- CJ Entertainment has boarded Park Chan-Wook's latest project, now titled "Thirst," and "The Good, the Bad and the Weird," helmed by Kim Ji-Woon.

In a double whammy for the busy South Korean sales, distribution and financier, CJ Entertainment said Friday that it expects to close deals on both projects for U.S. distribution and is in negotiations "with studios big and small" for "Oldboy" director Park's "Thirst," according to international sales and acquisitions chief Tom Oh.

Oh said "Thirst," budgeted at $7 million, is scheduled to shoot in March and aims to roll out the project in South Korea by the end of this year. It details the story of a priest who turns into a vampire after a failed medical experiment and his battle for survival.

"Thirst" is being produced by Moho Films. Oh said CJ Entertainment is putting up finance in return for worldwide sales rights and South Korean distribution rights.

CJ Entertainment also has snapped up Korean distribution rights to "Weird" and is just starting presales -- excluding a handful of territories, including Japan -- at the European Film Market.

Oh said the Kim-directed project is "one of the biggest budgets for a Korean movie ever" at $17 million. The deal with the filmmakers and CJ was struck early Friday morning, and Oh and his team are hurriedly fixing up meet-and-greets with buyers.

The project started out at rival Korean outfit Cineclick Asia. Oh declined comment on his company's swoop for the title.

Set in Manchuria in the 1930s, "Weird" deals with three Korean men and their entanglement with the Japanese army and Chinese and Russian bandits, according to one Internet site.

Kim has enjoyed success at the boxoffice in Asia with such titles as "The Foul King" (2000), "A Tale of Two Sisters" (2003) and "A Bittersweet Life" (2005).

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...db2efe4ef801238

Ack! :blink: Now it's a July release.. according to Variety.com

but then.. the writer makes quite a few typos (like messing LBH/JWS' names) as well.. not to mention mixing BSL and Oldboy.. nonono.. :sweatingbullets:

Anyway.. the article is directly related to SKH as in his current & upcoming 2 movies ^^ GBW & Thirst, respectively.

February 8, 2008

CJ clocking 'Good' times

Co. picks up 'Good, the Bad and the Weird'

By PATRICK FRATER

CJ Entertainment, Korea's biggest movie company, has made significant advances with two of the largest Korean projects of the year.

Company has grabbed international sales duties on "The Good, the Bad and the Weird," a Korean spaghetti Western by helmer Kim Jee-woon ("A Tale of Two Sisters"). Rights had previously been repped by Cineclick Asia.

"Oldboy" helmer Park Chan-wook and CJ have finally settled on a title and a schedule for his long-awaited vampire film. Pic will now be called "Thirst" and will start a marathon nine-month shoot beginning in March.

Story finds Korea's leading man, Song Kang-ho ("The Host," "Sympathy for Mister Vengeance"), as a much-loved priest who becomes a vampire after a failed medical experiment; he becomes a tortured and depraved soul. Title refers to a craving for sex, blood and love. CJ is pitching the pic as a love story with horror and drama.

"Weird" finally wrapped last week after a troubled shoot in China that took production over schedule and over its $11 million budget. Producer Barunson turned to CJ for fresh coin and local distribution.

Kim is now hurrying to complete the pic, which boasts three of Korea's top actors -- Song, Lee Byung-hun ("Oldboy" "A Bittersweet Life") and Jung Woo-sung ("Musa the Warrior") -- in time for a Cannes screening and a July commercial release.

Former Cineclick topper Suh Young-joo has now struck out on her own with new indie shingle Fine Cut (Variety Berlin Show Daily, Day 1.)

Source: Variety.com

Guest kdramafanusa

Director Park Chan-wook is having difficulties in finding a main female actor for his latest film "Bat" due to high sexual references.

[YONHAP NEWS 2008/02/12] Moho Film (Film production company) announced on the 12th that actress Kim Ok-bin is casted as the lead actress of director Park Chan-wook's new film "Bat". Filming will start at the end of March.

20080212175701_bodyfile.jpg

---

Actress Kim Ok-bin's works include movie "Dasepo Naughty Girls" and TV series "War Of Money - Bonus Round" (2007), "Over The Rainbow" (2006), "Hello, God" (2006), "Hanoi Bride" (2005).

200802121344091123_1.jpg

[photo=mydaily]

WOW! So.. they've finally found the leading lady for this highly-talked about movie, huh. Although I've heard much about Kim Ok Bin, I've not yet seen her drama series or previous movie.

Maybe her movie with SKH-ssi will be the first. :mellow: Oh.. wait.. I think she has another movie coming out first.. with Lee Jung Jae. :blush:

Thanks kdramafanusa for the latest update. Must say.. :unsure: .. brave girl.. *runs!*

Guest kdramafanusa

Must say.. :unsure: .. brave girl.. *runs!*

Are they really going to shoot those scenes?? Maybe no? =)

CHOSUN Feb.13,2008 06:00 KST

Park Chan-wook Chooses Heroine for Vampire Movie

Acclaimed director Park Chan-wook has chosen Kim Ok-bin as the star of his next film "Evil Live."

The spotlight had been on just who the female star would be. The part involves many adult scenes alongside male heart throb Song Kang-ho, who claimed the main role in the international hit film "The Host."

"Evil Live" or "Bakjwi" in Korean is a melo-horror film of a human-turned-vampire's affair with a married woman.

Director Park, known for his award-winning film "Old Boy" and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance", says he chose Kim for her unique talents that allow her to assume a vast range of characters.

Shooting will begin in March.

Arirang News

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0802130002.html