[drama 2009] The Return Of Iljimae 돌아온 일지매

Guest cutiepie

Guest Jill4675

Ep. 20 (first half)

Yeah.....I don't know Dutch, but how is Weltey pronounced as Veltery? :huh: I get the W->V, but that's about it. :lol:

I really didn't pay close attention to what his name actually was...I was paying more attention to trying to figure out who he was and why he was there (and his poor acting! LOL). Actually, I don't think "Weltey" is a Dutch name...seems more like something from the UK? Wonder why they chose that name? :huh:

Anyway, thanks so much for the first-half summary of Ep. 20! :)

And now I realize why the bears were so familiar! :wacko: Of course, from Goong! (duh!) I always liked the credits and titles in Goong (so colorful!); and, while they are very different, I love the titles and credits in ROI just as much!

sunglasses2.gif

Guest perfect

So I was watching this on tv and I was wondering in which episode did iljimae and wolhee first meet?

because I know the (before version) of wolhee died and I was not sure when they met again...

Guest perfect

If I remember correctly it was during episode 5 after Dal-yi was put to death, he ran into her fleeing from the authorities.

Thanks

Jill4675: Thanks for the link~ ^^

Guest hjkomo

Ep. 20 (second half)

Iljimae reads Kim Ja Jeom's letter. KJJ wants to meet IJM alone.

IJM meets KJJ at the appointed place and time, dressed in his mask. KJJ tells IJM that showing his face would be the proper manners. KJJ says IJM should leave the aid of the poor to the nation...it's not something an individual can accomplish.

KJJ offers IJM a proposal - How about working with me? In exchange, KJJ will clear IJM of the charges he faces and get him a government post. IJM pulls out his sword and holds it against KJJ's throat, saying he knows that KJJ was the one who sent the secret papers that Minister Kwon had in his possession. Those same papers that KJJ tried to regain by holding Wol Hee hostage. KJJ denies writing them and demands that IJM present them to see if it's his writing. IJM says KJJ won't be forgiven for trying to destroy the nation. Does he want to be pierced in the chest or slit in the throat?

IJM cuts the hidden knives from KJJ's waist and leaves.

KJJ returns home, confident that IJM doesn't have the secret papers, saying that IJM would have presented them as proof if he really had them in his possession.

Bak Bi Su shows KJJ the explosive powder. KJJ figures out Choi Myung Gil must be working under the king's orders.

The people at the mountain compound successfully test the new cannon and munitions.

Bak Bi Su and his men (with the eye-slit bamboo hats) plan their attack. Meanwhile, Yang Po and Wang Hweng Bo also head towards the mountain.

Iljimae appears before Wol Hee and tells her that KJJ's men are approaching. He says to tell the workers to move the gunpowder. WH doesn't get the severity of the situation until IJM grabs her and says KJJ's men succeed, they will have no love nor future....IJM tells her to also take Geol Chi and flee. If something happens, he tells her where to go and that he will come find them.

IJM approaches KJJ's men and tells them to turn back, otherwise, they will die. Bak Bi Su steps forward and realizes that Iljimae is the young man he saw in Yodong. Bak Bi Su tells his men to go on ahead while he takes care of IJM, but IJM runs after the men.

KJJ's men ignite the gunpowder, and IJM runs to stop the explosion, but a guard bangs a drum to sound the alarm, which renders IJM incapacitated (from his earlier trauma. when Dal Yi was executed).

Hearing the explosion, WH runs back to find IJM, but he's gone.

KJJ laughs with glee over his success. Bak Bi Su saw IJM flying through the air and says he couldn't have survived the explosion, but KJJ is not assured of IJM's death yet.

BSD, CD, GC, and WH discover that IJM is not in police custody...so, where could he be?

IJM wakes up to find that Yang Po and WHB have taken him. They give him the same drug that he used to incapacitate Minister Kwon's men when he stole the secret papers.

Yang Po and WHB fall asleep, and Sung Ge sneaks in. Since they were stealing IJM (a Joseon man) on behalf of their nation (Qing), he decides to do something for his own nation. He stabs Yang Po in the chest and WHB in the eye :crazy: ...and takes IJM.

FREEZE FRAME.

Guest hjkomo

I really didn't pay close attention to what his name actually was...I was paying more attention to trying to figure out who he was and why he was there (and his poor acting! LOL). Actually, I don't think "Weltey" is a Dutch name...seems more like something from the UK? Wonder why they chose that name? :huh:

I wonder if there's any historical significance to the name. The Korean has it as belleobeureyi (I think...unless that's supposed to mean something else. I have no idea.. :unsure:)

Despite the excellence of this drama, would it have been too much to hope for a decent caucasian actor? Come on...this is a kdrama, after all... :rolleyes:

The "Oh, no!" performance was just too -> :crazy: thereturnofiljimaee20ko.jpg

thereturnofiljimaee20kog.jpg

thereturnofiljimaee20ko.jpg:wub:

thereturnofiljimaee20ko.jpg:(

thereturnofiljimaee20kog.jpg

thereturnofiljimaee20ko.jpg

Nicely framed shot...using a tree once again...and something new... :D

thereturnofiljimaee20kob.jpg

thereturnofiljimaee20ko.jpg:lol:Love those hats!

thereturnofiljimaee20kogtq.jpg

^ Gotta get me one...could we get a group discount? :lol:

Another great shot. It looks like a double-doorway-framed shot. The depth is fantastic. :D

thereturnofiljimaee20koj.jpg

thereturnofiljimaee20kov.jpg

thereturnofiljimaee20koq.jpg:sweatingbullets:

Guest Jill4675

I wonder if there's any historical significance to the name. The Korean has it as belleobeureyi (I think...unless that's supposed to mean something else. I have no idea.. :unsure:)

Despite the excellence of this drama, would it have been too much to hope for a decent caucasian actor? Come on...this is a kdrama, after all... :rolleyes:

I'm an optimist, so I keep hoping!!! :lol:

The "Oh, no!" performance was just too -> :crazy:

Thanks for the rest of Ep. 20 and the caps...

I saw you touting ROI on the Aja-Aja shoutbox earlier...LOL, good luck persuading the BBF crowd!!! <_< But we have to try!!! :rolleyes:

sunglasses2.gif

Guest hjkomo

^ Well, at least, we got the Sistas on board.....since JIW is LMH's friend. Haha.. :lol:

I'm quite curious about the ending, though.

We know that GJM is going to sacrifice himself for IJM. :tears:

But, also, according to history.....

Joseon really did succumb to Qing, and Kim Ja Jeom succeeded in his evil machinations. :(

SO.....what becomes of Iljimae??? :huh:

hjkomo, is Kim Ja Jeom a real person? If not, although the history is like that, maybe not in IJM era?? Hopefully...Then at least we can hope for a little happy ending :mellow:

About the caucasian man...i thought his name is Valery, from Russia...mmh??

:lol:this series really tickles me pink. i so love the way they effortlessly weave humor into the serious storyline. always.

that scene with the caucasian actor, even if he seems to have been miscast for the role :D cracked me up. i do not understand korean but the humor in it transcended any language barrier. well done.

hjkomo, it is so nice to bump into you in this thread. you seem to know which shows are truly excellent and your interest in any given series is enough encouragement for me to check it out. cheers.

Guest Jill4675

^ Well, at least, we got the Sistas on board.....since JIW is LMH's friend. Haha.. :lol:

Did you see that they'll show BBF on Dramafever!? Bet they'll get a ton of viewers; nice move (and with help from WITH S2)!

As to the ending, :huh: I could guess we jump to the 21st century again, back to Episode 1... <_<

I will track down and censored.gif anyone who puts a huge spoiler here ahead of the last episode...!!! I really don't want any advance information!!! Whatever, it's going to be sSa_bye.gif.

sunglasses2.gif

I'm quite curious about the ending, though.

We know that GJM is going to sacrifice himself for IJM. :tears:

But, also, according to history.....

Joseon really did succumb to Qing, and Kim Ja Jeom succeeded in his evil machinations. :(

Yes, according to the Korean history, Joseon did really succumb to the Qing but it does not necessary means that Kim Ja Jeon succeded in his evil plan. Remember lljimae isjust a "manhwa" (comic) character and lt ispossible that KJJ is also one. They probably "exist" before Joseon succumb to the QingsEnding won't be sad and my guess is that lljimae will be pardoned for his crimes because he "caught" the traitor KJJ and save the nation .

Jill4675, thanks for the pix * ^ ^ *

Guest Mace-Face

hmm... i've seen "Iljimae"... the one with Lee JunKi... it was pretty good... but... i wonder if "The Return Of Iljimae" is good as well... :)... i think i should watch it... hehe!!! :D... well... by looking at the caps... the main charater guy kind of looks like Joo JiHoon... hehe!!! :D... but... isn't he a new actor??? :huh:... i forgot... well... thank you all for sharing... i think i should start watching this drama... :)...

Jojo, thanks for sharing that really cute pic of the bears... haha CD bear is hanging from BSD's arm! :P

Hmm the production company seems to have a thing for teddy bears eh... :D

Yes, l love the CD bear too. l put it up as wallpaper on my compu and l notice that the CD bear is actually tip toeing while hanging from BSD bear's arm....so cute !

As to the ending, :huh:I could guess we jump to the 21st century again, back to Episode 1... <_<

I will track down and censored.gif anyone who puts a huge spoiler here ahead of the last episode...!!! I really don't want any advance information!!! Whatever, it's going to be sSa_bye.gif.

Haha Jill... am really glad I know nothing about the ending :P

Hmmm "back to the beginning" may not be bad at all, provided it's done right... and this drama has been doing everything right so far.. :)

Yes, according to the Korean history, Joseon did really succumb to the Qing but it does not necessary means that Kim Ja Jeon succeded in his evil plan. Remember lljimae isjust a "manhwa" (comic) character and lt ispossible that KJJ is also one. They probably "exist" before Joseon succumb to the QingsEnding won't be sad and my guess is that lljimae will be pardoned for his crimes because he "caught" the traitor KJJ and save the nation .

Yeah I was also curious whether KJJ is a real historical figure... according to wikipedia, there was a Kim Ja-jeom during the Injo period and he was involved in staging the coup that overthrew the king... so looks like this character is based on a real person... which by the way is pretty cool I think... wonder what other characters/incidents in the story are based on history..

I would imagine that it will be more of bittersweet ending... IJM will probably not be able to stop KJJ and probably have to go into hiding as he becomes "most wanted" by the police and noblemen... but at least he will live to save another day, biding his time to resurface one day and continue with his "heroic" duties, hence keeping the hope alive :)

hehe thats just my speculation of course...

Anyway, whatever it turns out to be, I trust that we will get a satisfactory end to this drama. :)

Guest hjkomo

hjkomo, it is so nice to bump into you in this thread. you seem to know which shows are truly excellent and your interest in any given series is enough encouragement for me to check it out. cheers.

Hey there! Welcome to the thread...please share your thoughts of the drama with us. :)

hjkomo, is Kim Ja Jeom a real person? If not, although the history is like that, maybe not in IJM era?? Hopefully...Then at least we can hope for a little happy ending :mellow:
Yeah I was also curious whether KJJ is a real historical figure... according to wikipedia, there was a Kim Ja-jeom during the Injo period and he was involved in staging the coup that overthrew the king... so looks like this character is based on a real person... which by the way is pretty cool I think... wonder what other characters/incidents in the story are based on history..

He appears to be a real historical figure. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Im_Gyeong_Eop, Kim Ja Jeom helped Qing successfully invade Joseon...but anyone can contribute to wikipedia postings, and I don't know enough about Joseon history to confirm how accurate this information is. ;)

Whatever the ending, I'm sure this team will do a wonderful job with it...just as they've done so far. :)

wHATT??So in real history,Kim Ja Jeom was succeed??!! I guess history is suck :P But in Il Ji Mae-Jun Ki, he also didn`t succeed to overthrone the evil king,but at least he lives! Like yskj said...Let`s just pray IJM in ROI also....

hmm... i've seen "Iljimae"... the one with Lee JunKi... it was pretty good... but... i wonder if "The Return Of Iljimae" is good as well... :)... i think i should watch it... hehe!!! :D... well... by looking at the caps... the main charater guy kind of looks like Joo JiHoon... hehe!!! :D... but... isn't he a new actor??? :huh:... i forgot... well... thank you all for sharing... i think i should start watching this drama... :)...

mici07, by all means start watching. this is such a visual delight. the cinematography is so good it seems that every scene is designed to satisfy your eyes like a picture or a work of art. i have not seen any other k-drama as pretty as this. you won't regret it. ;)

Archived