[drama 2009] The Return Of Iljimae 돌아온 일지매

Guest cutiepie

thanks for the updates everyone, i just hope jung ilwoo can deliver his lines (from what i've seen, younger gen. actors don't seem so fluid with old korean - not that i can deliver it any better lol - but when it sounds awkward kinda reduces the impact of the story).

you're right...and in a sense...the pressure is really on MBC's version of Iljimae, SBS's really performed with great ratings wise, but in all fairness lets just see how things will play out...and have an open mind about this version...

you're right...and in a sense...the pressure is really on MBC's version of Iljimae, SBS's really performed with great ratings wise, but in all fairness lets just see how things will play out...and have an open mind about this version...

to be honest, i couldn't watch SBS's Iljimae... it was so ugh... :ph34r: was pretty sad for me since i was looking forward to it, esp. with ljk being casted. but it just was not for me. yeah, i'll give this one a shot too. but if it just doesn't pull for me, i'd be so sad from being disappointed with these most recent/modern versions of Iljimae. this coming from a fan of the Iljimae series. but i think there's a itty-bitty chance i'd put my money on this version since it is following the manhwa version (which means the story is better fleshed out) - it's just the acting i'm worried about or how the director puts it together.

but i think there's a itty-bitty chance i'd put my money on this version since it is following the manhwa version (which means the story is better fleshed out) - it's just the acting i'm worried about or how the director puts it together.

yup! MBC has the original comic book rights of Ko WooYoung's Iljimae comic book, the creator of iljimae...so this version will be more of an accurate depiction of the comic book...

now i'm sure it will be criticized heavily and compared heavily to SBS' version but i hope people that do posts in this particular thread will have an open mind for this version...and see it's uniqueness and difference....

WOW PROMO POSTERS ARE LOOKING GOOD!!

yup! MBC has the original comic book rights of Ko WooYoung's Iljimae comic book, the creator of iljimae...so this version will be more of an accurate depiction of the comic book...

now i'm sure it will be criticized heavily and compared heavily to SBS' version but i hope people that do posts in this particular thread will have an open mind for this version...and see it's uniqueness and difference....

Totally agree with you 2uss..The posters make me CRAZY....Really like the Iljimae's image in this drama..

And the most important is..I hope people could open their minds to this version and do not stuck with the former image of Iljimae..

I just wanna ask is this the same story of ILJIMae WITH Lee junki.

thanx

elley: NO..They have different stories and different characters..

I've heard a lot of questions just like Elley's..So, i'll point out here:

THE RETURN OF ILJIMAE IS NOT THE SEQUEL from ILJIMAE SBS...

THE RETURN OF ILJIMAE IS MADE BASED ON Ko Woo Young popular comic: ILJIMAE...

THE RETURN OF ILJIMAE HAS DIFFERENT STORIES and CHARACTERS from ILJIMAE SBS..

It would be nice if you do not post any comments related to the judgement about which one is the best Iljimae mini series..

Because this mini series hasn't been aired yet...It would be great if you post anything that related only to The Return of Iljimae miniseries..:)

elley: NO..They have different stories and different characters..

I've heard a lot of questions just like Elley's..So, i'll point out here:

THE RETURN OF ILJIMAE IS NOT THE SEQUEL from ILJIMAE SBS...

THE RETURN OF ILJIMAE IS MADE BASED ON Ko Woo Young popular comic: ILJIMAE...

THE RETURN OF ILJIMAE HAS DIFFERENT STORIES and CHARACTERS from ILJIMAE SBS..

It would be nice if you do not post any comments related to the judgement about which one is the best Iljimae mini series..

Because this mini series hasn't been aired yet...It would be great if you post anything that related only to The Return of Iljimae miniseries..:)

MBC's Iljimae's inception of the drama was actually before SBS' version...but MBC is known for extending drama series...so it got pushed back with the production of it's iljimae while SBS' version went on full steam ahead...so when SBS airs it, they totally put a hold on the pre-production and delay it so that people wouldn't confuse the 2 versions...but the production started to get rolling again about 2 months ago, if i'm not mistaken...even their 1st main lead actor, Lee Seung Gi i think cancelled the project because of the delay and his commitment of filming abroad...then everything was again re-start from the beginning...

but a lot of the pieces are already in place...it was just making sure if their 2nd option of the leading actor to play iljimae, IlWoo, will accept the role or not...IlWoo then decided to drop his project that he was about to start and opted to take the role of MBC's Iljimae to air in mid jan of '09...

so in essence JIW is really taking a big risk in deciding to star in a historical drama...to which he has never done before, but he's a talented actor and not afraid to get dirty and bruised (literally) in sets to make fighting scenes and some stunt scenes more believable and appealing towards the viewers...

so i'm all for seeing this version...because i feel that it'll be close in following the 1975 comic book of Ko WooYoung's "Iljimae"...

Definetely..Jung Il Woo is taking a big risk right now..

I read from some articles couple months ago, Jung Il Woo really thinks that Iljimae is a big role..He said that maybe he'll regret his decision to take a role of Iljimae because there is no guarantee that the ratings of this mini series will be high..But he's also said, it would be a big regret for him if he doesn't take the role of Iljimae in this miniseries..After all, another Iljimae version which has been aired at the beginning of this year which gained high ratings really affects the viewers' opinion about The Return of Iljimae..But i guess he's ready for the worst..

I really love his spirit..He doesn't give up that easily..Aja aja Il Woo yaa!!!

Guest tuna_madunna

RETURN OF ILJIMAE WILL FINALLY AIR ON JANUARY 14!! :]

Gah!! No more delays! yahoo!

Anyway, the more i get hyped the more i am worried

on what group will sub this drama?

My Korean is awful-rusty i can't possibly understand everything! :[

..and thank you girls for keeping this thread colorful

Ilwoo jjang!! ^^,

yeah ilwoo_aein...he JIW knows full well that this version will climb up hill to gain appreciation from fans...but with all the delays that "The Return of Iljimae" has been going through starting from months ago...i do hope that the production crew and MBC have already thought of what will work and what doesn't...

a big disadvantage was that SBS did perform great with their version...but also on the flip side of that coin is a big advantage, MBC can learn to improve their version better than SBS' as far as storyline and plot since they don't have to be in a hurry and pressured to meet certain deadlines...which is why they opted to air General Hospital 2 instead of Return of Iljimae just recently...

Guest avicenna

wooow. ilwoo is looking so good in the wallpapers, he is a handsome guy...first impression when i saw those wallpapers was Prince Shin (JJH) from goong...reminded me of him.....so alike in these pictures....both handsome guys lolz...... i am anticipating a lot from this version.....

ilwoo ....iljimae crew....fighting !!!

Guest Happy_Day

I think it has something to do with the Iljimae costume.. but damn do all guys turn sexy when they wear that? LOL

JungIlWoo is looking smexy indeed

i couldn't tell from your comment if you knew already or not, but the SBS version wasn't striving to depict the Iljimae manhwa version (copyright issues being one of them). so imo, if any (major) comparisons (or criticisms?) were to be made it would be over the acting - jung ilwoo's Iljimae vs. lee junki's Iljimae. and i think korean audiences are pretty aware which version this will be following, so (from my perspective) the draw for the SBS version was how the story was told differently and lee junki.

i couldn't tell from your comment if you knew already or not, but the SBS version wasn't striving to depict the Iljimae manhwa version (copyright issues being one of them). so imo, if any (major) comparisons (or criticisms?) were to be made it would be over the acting - jung ilwoo's Iljimae vs. lee junki's Iljimae. and i think korean audiences are pretty aware which version this will be following, so (from my perspective) the draw for the SBS version was how the story was told differently and lee junki.

oh ehehe i'm very well aware atel sorry if i wasn't clear in my comments, i got the comic book from a korean market store :sweatingbullets: which really made me appreciate the writer/illustrator Ko WooYoung, really creative and very talented...

i've told everyone here i have no preference of the actors that would star in Iljimae, i just wanna see how well the story is portrayed...and since this version coming up is based on the comic book itself, i was drawn to it automatically from the start...

Production Forces Overworked Jung Il Woo To Rest

December 24th, 2008 // by javabeans

return_4.jpg

Aie, it is as I feared. Jung Il-woo has temporarily suspended filming for his role heading the new MBC drama The Return of Iljimae due to health issues. Filming halted on the 23rd, and production aims to resume after Christmas.

It did seem as though Jung was pushing himself too hard given accounts of concerned staff and management. Recently, he had been suffering from a severe flu, the effects of which intensified with overwork. The producers had told Jung to rest, but Jung merely took Ringer’s solution injections (which appears to be similar to an IV drip) and continued working.

A production rep explained Jung’s commitment to his role, saying, “Jung Il-woo has expressed his desire to show a different side to himself through The Return of Iljimae. He pushes himself to rehearse even on days he doesn’t shoot, and he hasn’t been looking after his body, focusing solely on the drama. On the 23rd, he had difficulty even standing up and it was obvious his condition was not good, so we shut down filming and told him to go home.”

The drama is estimated to be 60% completed with filming. Despite the brief shut-down of production, Jung’s condition shouldn’t affect the drama’s start date, which will be mid-January.

You know you’ve pushed yourself too far when the production is the one telling its lead actor to take it easy. We know you’ve got a lot to prove with your first serious leading role, but take care of yourself, dude.

Via Hankook Ilbo

Archived