• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

https://zapzee.net/2021/07/31/k-stars-best-character-jun-ji-hyun-who-has-always-been-the-biggest-movie-star-of-all-time/
[K-Star’s Best Character] Jun Ji Hyun Who Has Always Been the Biggest Movie Star of All Time

by Eunkyung Cho | Edited by Seo Hayne | Translated Cho EK

266C9A9E-F60C-4801-BD5D-6C7A0713C747.jpg
Credit: Showbox

Actress Jun Ji Hyun, a born-to-be star, has never been pushed out of the top in the past 20 years. She made her debut in 1998 with Fascinate My Heart and quickly became a rising star, winning the hearts of the public. In 1999’s Happy Together, she appeared as an innocent part-timer at an ice cream parlor. Her appearance attracted so much attention, and it was reported that the sales of Baskin Robbins 31, where the filming took place, were increased by 200%. Upon her starring in Happy Together, viewers started to find and purchase the products that she wore, ate, and used in the drama.

B840E3A5-170B-4D67-97EE-F6C6079AE3C3.jpg
Credit: Cinema Service

In the movie My Sassy Girl (2001), Jun Ji Hyun was much loved for her bizarre and lively appearance, playing ‘she,’ who shouted “Gyeon Woo!” with her long black hair blowing softly in the wind. The movie saw a huge hit and became the best romantic comedy film in the 21st century. As a result, Jun Ji Hyun gained explosive popularity and won the Best Actress Award at the 39th Daejong Awards. Since then, she has continued her busy career, appearing in Chinese and Hollywood productions. In 2012 she played the role of Yenycall in the film The Thieves, as one of the gang of robbers. In 2015, she played the main character, Ahn Ok Yun, a sniper of the Korean Independence Army in Assassination, where she attracted 10 million moviegoers.

3479E60E-2579-4726-9F66-9FB2EE12088D.jpg
Credit: SBS

In 2013, Jun Ji Hyun chose SBS My Love from the Star as her comeback piece in 15 years, playing the role of the Hallyu queen Cheon Song Yi. In the drama, she falls in love with an alien who has been living on Earth for 400 years. Jun captivated the audience with her comedic role and the hilarious drunk scene where she puts her shoes in front of her mascara-smeared face. Plus, in the first episode, she gives herself underhanded praise, by saying, “In your opinion, what brought Asia together? I think it’s the Korean Wave, and I’m at the center of it.” Interestingly, throughout the series, My Love from the Star actually saw a massive hit across Asia.

Spoiler

8EF770C5-B248-4FE8-9435-5B5AE64F5E44.jpg

Credit: Netflix

Jun Ji Hyun, who had been inactive for a while, recently made an unexpected move. That is to say, she decided to star in the Netflix original series Kingdom which brought the K-zombie craze around the world following Train to Busan (2016). Previously, she surprised the audience by making a surprising appearance at the end of the second season. Also, she left a strong impression on the viewers by starring in the piping hot Kingdom special as Ashin, the main character who knows the secret behind the resurrection plant that caused the epidemic in Joseon. Even though she appears midway, her presence dominates the screen with satisfying archery actions. After showing her new aspect in Kingdom, she will make another comeback in the latter half of this year with another work by Kim Eun Hee, Cliffhanger.

Editor Seo Hayne: I like actors as they faithfully lead through their long running-time. I also like idols who accomplish everything on stage within 3 minutes.
Translator Cho EK: I’m a big fan of Korean dramas and movies.